FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Knife crime in the UK

Knife crime in the UK

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *atEvolution OP   Couple 3 weeks ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

'There were nearly 49,000 crimes in England and Wales involving knives or sharp objects during the year ending September 2023, according to newly published Home Office statistics – an increase of 5% year on year. But that is still 5% lower than the year ending March 2020, before the start of the pandemic, noted the BBC.Jan 25, 2024'

Quite atrocious really.

But a serious question, we don't seem to have a coherent policy on disposal of knives - I have a rack full of kitchen knives and only use about 5 of them. Which leaves 8 to dispose of. The police websites say wrap them tight and throw them in your bin. So do most waste places!!!

I find this quite shocking. Surely this is the wrong way to dispose of knives. Leave them in the ground for the wrapper to melt away, leaving a stainless steel blade to last for years.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *erry bull1Man 3 weeks ago

doncaster

You can dispose of them however you want ,

Just go to any supermarket and look at the packs of kitchen knife sets openly on sale

"You can dispose of them however you want ,

"

Yea. That's my point, really. We should have a coherent policy for disposal, not just 'oh I'll throw it here'

By *ostindreamsMan 3 weeks ago

London

If it goes to the waste disposal site, wouldn't it get crushed or processed or whatever?

By *AJMLKTV/TS 3 weeks ago

Burley

When you put anything metal in your recycling bin, it gets identified and removed using magnets at the recycling centre.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 3 weeks ago

nearby

From two separate parliamentary briefing papers:

In the year ending March 2023, there were around 50,500 offences involving a sharp instrument in England and Wales (excluding Devon & Cornwall). This was 4.7% higher than in 2021/22 but 7% lower than in 2019/20.

Data from NHS Digital shows there were 3,775 “hospital episodes” recorded in English hospitals in 2022/23 due to assault by a sharp object. This was a 9.5% decrease compared to 2021/22, and a 3.6% increase compared to 2014/15

7.4% of recorded knife attacks required hospitalisation.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 3 weeks ago

Gilfach

"From two separate parliamentary briefing papers:

In the year ending March 2023, there were around 50,500 offences involving a sharp instrument in England and Wales (excluding Devon & Cornwall). This was 4.7% higher than in 2021/22 but 7% lower than in 2019/20.

Data from NHS Digital shows there were 3,775 “hospital episodes” recorded in English hospitals in 2022/23 due to assault by a sharp object. This was a 9.5% decrease compared to 2021/22, and a 3.6% increase compared to 2014/15

7.4% of recorded knife attacks required hospitalisation."

That last number has been invented by you, and is incorrect. The 50,500 'offences involving a sharp instrument' is mostly made up of possession charges, where no 'attack' has occurred.

"If it goes to the waste disposal site, wouldn't it get crushed or processed or whatever?"

Not if it goes to landfill. Our local authority is part landfill. And they say put it in your wheelie bin (!)

By *irkby coupleCouple 3 weeks ago

Kirkby

No im expert on waste but I thought all waste was sorted and only some of it went to landfill?

In my area I’m almost certain all the rubbish is tipped in one place, gets processed through machines, what can be is recycled and what can’t goes to landfill/ incinerator.

This post ended on an unexpected way, talking about knife crime and then ending on, how do we get rid of them.

I’m no expert on how these people get knives but I’m sure there is a far easier way then searching peoples bins.

By *oversfunCouple 3 weeks ago

ayrshire

Scotland had a knife/weapons amnesty a few yrs ago,we have went from the stabbing capital of europe to now having it mostly under control,alot of education about knife crime in schools has really helped

By *astandFeistyCouple 3 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"Scotland had a knife/weapons amnesty a few yrs ago,we have went from the stabbing capital of europe to now having it mostly under control,alot of education about knife crime in schools has really helped"

Scotland done very well to get their offensive weapons crimes down but in the last 5 years its gone back up to where it was before.

ayrshire

"Scotland had a knife/weapons amnesty a few yrs ago,we have went from the stabbing capital of europe to now having it mostly under control,alot of education about knife crime in schools has really helped

Scotland done very well to get their offensive weapons crimes down but in the last 5 years its gone back up to where it was before. "

Cant see that published anywhere

Bournemouth

"Scotland had a knife/weapons amnesty a few yrs ago,we have went from the stabbing capital of europe to now having it mostly under control,alot of education about knife crime in schools has really helped

Scotland done very well to get their offensive weapons crimes down but in the last 5 years its gone back up to where it was before.

Cant see that published anywhere "

https://www.statista.com/statistics/830251/offensive-weapons-crimes-scotland/

ayrshire

Cant see that published anywhere

https://www.statista.com/statistics/830251/offensive-weapons-crimes-scotland/"

cant find that

ayrshire

Got it,its one poll saying it,theres others that say its decreasing,an example is 10,000 odd in 2007 to less than 5,000 in 2020

Bournemouth

"Got it,its one poll saying it,theres others that say its decreasing,an example is 10,000 odd in 2007 to less than 5,000 in 2020"

Statista aren't a polling company. There data comes from Scottish Govt figures.

ayrshire

"Got it,its one poll saying it,theres others that say its decreasing,an example is 10,000 odd in 2007 to less than 5,000 in 2020

Statista aren't a polling company. There data comes from Scottish Govt figures. "

as i have shown they are wrong as the less than 5000 in 2020 show

Bournemouth

"Got it,its one poll saying it,theres others that say its decreasing,an example is 10,000 odd in 2007 to less than 5,000 in 2020

Statista aren't a polling company. There data comes from Scottish Govt figures. as i have shown they are wrong as the less than 5000 in 2020 show "

The Scottish Govt are wrong. Jesus Christ

ayrshire

Statista aren't a polling company. There data comes from Scottish Govt figures. as i have shown they are wrong as the less than 5000 in 2020 show

The Scottish Govt are wrong. Jesus Christ "

Seems so

By *atEvolution OP   Couple 2 weeks ago

Here we go again . . .

'Three people have been injured in a "major incident" at a school in West Wales.' (Stabbing)

In a school for crying out loud !!!

It's time for metal detectors in all schools. (and yes I know you can buy ceramic knives).

No ifs no buts.

By *ools and the brainCouple 2 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

"Here we go again . . .

'Three people have been injured in a "major incident" at a school in West Wales.' (Stabbing)

It's time for metal detectors in all schools. (and yes I know you can buy ceramic knives).

No ifs no buts.

"

It's just another example of how out of control we are regards the youth, the fact that a girl was willing to take a knife into school and intentionally attack two teachers probably with little fear of the consequences is proof that the liberal softly softly approach to discipline is most definitely not working.

A radical new approach must be thought of to tackle knife crimes and violence with the intention to harm or kill.

It's an epidemic amongst the younger generation the amount of under 21's carrying knives is terrifying.

I have no idea how we can stop it but it's clear that the current system has failed.

By *atEvolution OP   Couple 2 weeks ago

"Here we go again . . .

No ifs no buts.

It's just another example of how out of control we are regards the youth, the fact that a girl was willing to take a knife into school and intentionally attack two teachers probably with little fear of the consequences is proof that the liberal softly softly approach to discipline is most definitely not working.

A radical new approach must be thought of to tackle knife crimes and violence with the intention to harm or kill.

It's an epidemic amongst the younger generation the amount of under 21's carrying knives is terrifying.

I have no idea how we can stop it but it's clear that the current system has failed."

The really odd thing is that educational institutions already have the right in Law to search and seize.

I haven't heard of any using technology or search procedures at all ?

By *ockforplay66Man 2 weeks ago

Southampton/isle of wight/ everywhere

Having been on the end of a knife crime incident (literally) and having been a frontline police officer for 20 years, it is not kitchen knives or domestic knives that need to be worried about.

Domestic knives are used in less than 5% of knife crime, and these are almost entirely where someone has used a kitchen knife in their own home during a domestic violence incident.

The knives that are being used by gangs and youths on the street are almost entirely illegally purchased or acquired, not from the cookware department of Argos!

Disposal of knives is only of any good to decent, normal human beings who are never going to use a knife in an act of violence in the first place.

I owe my life to a Kevlar vest, when I had a knife plunged in to my chest by a 12 year old girl (yes that is what I said, 12 years old!!) who was strung out on drugs. She was initially charged with attempted murder, got downgraded to aggravated assault, and she got a 6 week detention order at a youth offenders home (which she went missing from after less than 24 hours)

By *irldnCouple 2 weeks ago

Brighton

"Having been on the end of a knife crime incident (literally) and having been a frontline police officer for 20 years, it is not kitchen knives or domestic knives that need to be worried about.

Domestic knives are used in less than 5% of knife crime, and these are almost entirely where someone has used a kitchen knife in their own home during a domestic violence incident.

The knives that are being used by gangs and youths on the street are almost entirely illegally purchased or acquired, not from the cookware department of Argos!

Disposal of knives is only of any good to decent, normal human beings who are never going to use a knife in an act of violence in the first place.

I owe my life to a Kevlar vest, when I had a knife plunged in to my chest by a 12 year old girl (yes that is what I said, 12 years old!!) who was strung out on drugs. She was initially charged with attempted murder, got downgraded to aggravated assault, and she got a 6 week detention order at a youth offenders home (which she went missing from after less than 24 hours)"

I think you summed up nicely a lot of what is wrong with society these days. Thanks for your “service” helping to protect people.

By *ockforplay66Man 2 weeks ago

Southampton/isle of wight/ everywhere

"

I think you summed up nicely a lot of what is wrong with society these days. Thanks for your “service” helping to protect people."

Thank you, it was a genuine honour to serve alongside the very best men and women in the world. I have witnessed and been involved in policing all over the world, and hands down, the best police officers are here in the UK.

» Add a new message to this topic