FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Is this another brexit fail

Is this another brexit fail

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *I Two OP   Couple 6 weeks ago

all around

Wasn't it mentioned as one of the minor positives that the UK wouldn't implement the EU rules in fitting new cars with speed limiting devices ?

"Cabinet minister Jacob Rees-Mogg has suggested the government is considering ditching plans to fit safety devices limiting speed in all UK cars because of a desire not to follow EU rules."

Seems it's being implemented in July to all new cars sold in the UK ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *idnight RamblerMan 6 weeks ago

Pershore

I thought the UK had opted out of the EU's speed regulation laws. The devices are being fitted so they are export compliant (I think most cars have sat navs with speed warnings anyway?). The EU scheme is to start with a speed warning but later change to automatic speed reduction. Personally I'd be more than pissed off if the EU started taking control of my car.

By *yth11Couple 6 weeks ago

newark

[Removed by poster at 02/05/24 12:23:37]

newark

"Wasn't it mentioned as one of the minor positives that the UK wouldn't implement the EU rules in fitting new cars with speed limiting devices ?

"Cabinet minister Jacob Rees-Mogg has suggested the government is considering ditching plans to fit safety devices limiting speed in all UK cars because of a desire not to follow EU rules."

"

Majority of new cars sold in the UK are imported from EU so will have these devices.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 6 weeks ago

golden fields

"Wasn't it mentioned as one of the minor positives that the UK wouldn't implement the EU rules in fitting new cars with speed limiting devices ?

Majority of new cars sold in the UK are imported from EU so will have these devices.

"

If only we'd have had a seat at the decision making table.

Oh well.

By *oxychick35Couple 6 weeks ago

thornaby

Oh well. "

oh well lol

newark

Oh well. "

Would not have mattered as it was a majority decision with no veto or opt out.

By *heel markMan 6 weeks ago

beside the sea

"I thought the UK had opted out of the EU's speed regulation laws. The devices are being fitted so they are export compliant (I think most cars have sat navs with speed warnings anyway?). The EU scheme is to start with a speed warning but later change to automatic speed reduction.

Personally I'd be more than pissed off if the EU started taking control of my car."

How will this work in Germany, they have stretches of unlimited autobahn. I quite enjoy maxing my sprinter when driving to Denmark.

golden fields

Oh well.

Would not have mattered as it was a majority decision with no veto or opt out."

Maybe, at least we would have been a part of the process.

In any case, is taking measures to reduce road deaths really that awful?

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 6 weeks ago

Gilfach

"How will this work in Germany, they have stretches of unlimited autobahn. I quite enjoy maxing my sprinter when driving to Denmark. "

The system can be switched off. It's automatically enabled when the engine is started, but it can be switched off whenever the driver wants to. Or, 'in an emergency', the driver can override it by pressing harder on the accelerator.

Pershore

Oh well.

In any case, is taking measures to reduce road deaths really that awful?"

Safety initiatives are to be welcomed if they are effective and after public consultation. Didn't go so well in Wales though. But the Welsh public were able to lobby their elected politicians and get concessions. Do you think that would happen in the EU? Who would you lobby for a start?

golden fields

Oh well.

Safety initiatives are to be welcomed if they are effective and after public consultation. Didn't go so well in Wales though. But the Welsh public were able to lobby their elected politicians and get concessions. Do you think that would happen in the EU? Who would you lobby for a start?"

MEPs.

Pershore

Oh well.

Safety initiatives are to be welcomed if they are effective and after public consultation. Didn't go so well in Wales though. But the Welsh public were able to lobby their elected politicians and get concessions. Do you think that would happen in the EU? Who would you lobby for a start?

MEPs."

Straying into comedy there

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 6 weeks ago

nearby

Sounds a great idea. Lost a clean licence to a going 5mph over in a 20mph zone.

Good for road safety too

all around

"I thought the UK had opted out of the EU's speed regulation laws. The devices are being fitted so they are export compliant (I think most cars have sat navs with speed warnings anyway?). The EU scheme is to start with a speed warning but later change to automatic speed reduction.

Personally I'd be more than pissed off if the EU started taking control of my car.

How will this work in Germany, they have stretches of unlimited autobahn. I quite enjoy maxing my sprinter when driving to Denmark. "

Well if the speed limit is unlimited then it won't slow you down, will it ?

By *altenkommandoMan 6 weeks ago

milton keynes

Oh well.

MEPs."

The memebers of a huge debating chamber with hundreds of memebers who can’t agree how stright a cucumber should be and even less abaility to ammend Directives than the House of Lords you mean? ‘Coz that would work!

golden fields

Oh well.

MEPs.

The memebers of a huge debating chamber with hundreds of memebers who can’t agree how stright a cucumber should be and even less abaility to ammend Directives than the House of Lords you mean? ‘Coz that would work!

"

I don't read the Sun.

But yes, it was working better than it is now, when we're not a part of the system.

By *oxychick35Couple 6 weeks ago

thornaby

"Sounds a great idea. Lost a clean licence to a going 5mph over in a 20mph zone.

Good for road safety too "

tbh I think it was only ever brought in to squeeze money out of motorists a better way would of been to tax cyclists lol

By *altenkommandoMan 6 weeks ago

milton keynes

Oh well.

MEPs.

I don't read the Sun.

But yes, it was working better than it is now, when we're not a part of the system. "

I don’t read The Sun either, it just goes to show the superiority complex suffered by the remain brigade. Still, if it’s how you rationalise defeat on an intellectual level…

Let the EU do what the EU wants, let it be undemocractic by Dicktat if that’s how it wants to operate. We, on the tohjer hand (thanks to the greatest plebiscite in modern history) have decided that come what may we will make our own laws, so if we want to introduce speed warnign systems in cars we are free to do so, if we don’t we don’t have to. Importantly, we don’t need a foreign power illucidating our troglian ways, for if only we could be as wise as they

golden fields

Oh well.

MEPs.

I don't read the Sun.

But yes, it was working better than it is now, when we're not a part of the system.

I don’t read The Sun either, it just goes to show the superiority complex suffered by the remain brigade.

"

Why are the "remain brigade" superior? Anyone is capable of understanding the impacts of Brexit.

"

Still, if it’s how you rationalise defeat on an intellectual level…

"

I wasn't a part of the remain campaign, so I wasn't defeated.

"

Let the EU do what the EU wants, let it be undemocractic by Dicktat if that’s how it wants to operate.

"

Are you taking the piss out of people who don't understand how the EU works, or do you not understand how the EU works?

"

We, on the tohjer hand (thanks to the greatest plebiscite in modern history) have decided that come what may we will make our own laws,

"

Except we now have to comply with regulations that we no longer have a say in.

And we now no longer have th EU as a layer of protection against our government removing safety standards, environmental protections, workers rights, food safety etc.

And we voted for nearly every EU directive that became British law.

"

so if we want to introduce speed warnign systems in cars we are free to do so, if we don’t we don’t have to. Importantly, we don’t need a foreign power illucidating our troglian ways, for if only we could be as wise as they "

Not sure what's going on here.

By *ophieslutTV/TS 6 weeks ago

Central

Oh well.

MEPs.

I don't read the Sun.

I don’t read The Sun either, it just goes to show the superiority complex suffered by the remain brigade.

Why are the "remain brigade" superior? Anyone is capable of understanding the impacts of Brexit.

Still, if it’s how you rationalise defeat on an intellectual level…

I wasn't a part of the remain campaign, so I wasn't defeated.

Let the EU do what the EU wants, let it be undemocractic by Dicktat if that’s how it wants to operate.

Are you taking the piss out of people who don't understand how the EU works, or do you not understand how the EU works?

We, on the tohjer hand (thanks to the greatest plebiscite in modern history) have decided that come what may we will make our own laws,

And we now no longer have th EU as a layer of protection against our government removing safety standards, environmental protections, workers rights, food safety etc.

And we voted for nearly every EU directive that became British law.

so if we want to introduce speed warnign systems in cars we are free to do so, if we don’t we don’t have to. Importantly, we don’t need a foreign power illucidating our troglian ways, for if only we could be as wise as they

Not sure what's going on here. "

all around

"

We, on the tohjer hand (thanks to the greatest plebiscite in modern history) have decided that come what may we will make our own laws, so if we want to introduce speed warnign systems in cars we are free to do so, if we don’t we don’t have to

"

Em .. I think you might have missed the fact that every new car sold in the UK WILL HAVE speed limiting fitted .

I guess you misunderstood Brexit like most that voted for it.

By *ip2Man 6 weeks ago

Near Maidenhead

"less abaility to ammend Directives than the House of Lords

"

The European Parliament can amend most legislative proposals as well as accept or reject them.

Most EU law is now made by the European Parliament, and by the government ministers of the member countries.

It's called co-decision.

With co-decision, MEPs have equal powers with the government ministers.

The formal process starts with a proposal from the European Commission.

There's lots of discussion first. The European Parliament can invite the Commission to make a proposal.

The Commission can say no but it has to give a reason.

The European Parliament can sack the entire Commission with a two-thirds majority.

The European Parliament can and does block people from Commission jobs for conflict of interest.

MEPs question candidates for Commission jobs in public. They're called confirmation hearings.

In some things the vote of the European Parliament is advisory and not binding.

The reason that only the independent Commission formally starts the process is to stop selfish proposals from any one country or political group.

The Commission runs consultations. There has been a public consultation by the Commission on vehicle safety, for example.

I just had a look at it. There were 200+ replies, from the Road Safety Authority of Ireland, from the Nordic Hauliers Association, and from individual EU citizens.

Want to tell the Commission what you think? It's possible.

The European Parliament has a Transport committee. Who is on it? It's led by the "French MEP Karima Delli of the Group of the Greens/European Free Alliance", well, there you go, I just looked it up.

Gilfach

"We, on the other hand (thanks to the greatest plebiscite in modern history) have decided that come what may we will make our own laws"

"Except we now have to comply with regulations that we no longer have a say in."

Which EU regulations do we still have to comply with?

Gilfach

"We, on the other hand (thanks to the greatest plebiscite in modern history) have decided that come what may we will make our own laws, so if we want to introduce speed warnign systems in cars we are free to do so, if we don’t we don’t have to"

"Em .. I think you might have missed the fact that every new car sold in the UK WILL HAVE speed limiting fitted ."

Why would you think that? The EU car manufacturers already make special versions of cars for us with the steering wheel on the other side of the vehicle. They are perfectly capable of adding and removing optional extras when people order cars. Why would they spend money fitting the speed compliance kit if it's not needed?

"I guess you misunderstood Brexit like most that voted for it."

Are you sure you're right about which of you is misunderstanding things?

Pershore

"

We, on the tohjer hand (thanks to the greatest plebiscite in modern history) have decided that come what may we will make our own laws, so if we want to introduce speed warnign systems in cars we are free to do so, if we don’t we don’t have to

Em .. I think you might have missed the fact that every new car sold in the UK WILL HAVE speed limiting fitted .

I guess you misunderstood Brexit like most that voted for it."

That's usual practice in the automotive industry - to make cars export ready. But the UK has opted out of the EU speed regulations. imo a good thing : I'm capable of driving a vehicle within the law without some EU bureaucrat hacking my car.

golden fields

"We, on the other hand (thanks to the greatest plebiscite in modern history) have decided that come what may we will make our own laws

Which EU regulations do we still have to comply with?"

Any that dictate what we need to do to import into the EU.

An example would be on shellfish cleaning regulations.

Gilfach

"We, on the other hand (thanks to the greatest plebiscite in modern history) have decided that come what may we will make our own laws"

"Except we now have to comply with regulations that we no longer have a say in."

"Which EU regulations do we still have to comply with?"

"Any that dictate what we need to do to import into the EU.

An example would be on shellfish cleaning regulations."

You mean 'export to the EU'. Well yes, if we want to export stuff to the EU, we have to comply with their rules. But that's the same with exporting to any other country, and I don't see you complaining that we have to follow Japan's regulations without having a say on them.

More importantly, we don't have to comply with those rules here in the UK.

golden fields

"We, on the other hand (thanks to the greatest plebiscite in modern history) have decided that come what may we will make our own laws

You mean 'export to the EU'. Well yes, if we want to export stuff to the EU, we have to comply with their rules. But that's the same with exporting to any other country, and I don't see you complaining that we have to follow Japan's regulations without having a say on them.

More importantly, we don't have to comply with those rules here in the UK."

Yes, so we gave up our seat at the decision making table with our largest trading partner. Have to comply with their regulations that we no longer have a say in to trade with them.

Shit deal all round.

In your bizarre example, if we had a say in Japan's rules, and people voted not to anymore because they didn't like foriegners, or they believed that's we'd all get free unicorns, and that Japan was our biggest trading partner, and if Japan was right on our doorstep, and if we lost our rights to live and work on Japan, and if it made the country poorer, and we still had to comply with their standards but had no say in them then yes, I would consider it something important (complaining to you).

By *wosmilersCouple 6 weeks ago

Heathrowish

The elements on the speed limiting software can be disabled quite easily.

By *eroy1000Man 6 weeks ago

milton keynes

More importantly, we don't have to comply with those rules here in the UK."

If the UK had stayed in the EU could they have blocked this from being implemented ? If not blocked,would cars built in the UK and exported to the EU have to comply with this rule? Lastly, if the UK stayed in the EU would they have had to comply with the rule even for cars sold in the UK only?

newark

If the UK had stayed in the EU could they have blocked this from being implemented ? If not blocked,would cars built in the UK and exported to the EU have to comply with this rule? Lastly, if the UK stayed in the EU would they have had to comply with the rule even for cars sold in the UK only?"

No yes yes in simple terms.

By *ip2Man 6 weeks ago

Near Maidenhead

"without some EU bureaucrat hacking my car."

It's elected Members of the European Parliament who make EU law.

And it's government ministers of the member countries who make EU law.

Not the European Commission. The Commission doesn't make any EU law on its own. It only makes proposals.

Commission proposals don't come from nowhere. There's plenty of discussion first in the other EU institutions.

The Commission goes to all the meetings so it knows what's wanted - but to stop abuse it has to be independent and isn't allowed to take instructions.

The Commission can also act on its own initiative because it's not passive. Its job is to actively work for the benefit of the member countries.

The government ministers meet and vote in the Council of the European Union. That's the key decision making body.

It's usually called "the Council" for short.

Both Houses vote democratically.

For most things both Houses have equal powers to amend proposals and both Houses have to agree.

There are some decisions the Commission is asked to make, to avoid selfish national or commercial interests, but its decisions are not final. The decisions can be overturned in the EU lower court and appealed in the upper court.

The EU stands for democratic values.

Pershore

"without some EU bureaucrat hacking my car.

Not the European Commission. The Commission doesn't make any EU law on its own. It only makes proposals.

Commission proposals don't come from nowhere. There's plenty of discussion first in the other EU institutions.

The Commission goes to all the meetings so it knows what's wanted - but to stop abuse it has to be independent and isn't allowed to take instructions.

The Commission can also act on its own initiative because it's not passive. Its job is to actively work for the benefit of the member countries.

The government ministers meet and vote in the Council of the European Union. That's the key decision making body.

For most things both Houses have equal powers to amend proposals and both Houses have to agree.

There are some decisions the Commission is asked to make, to avoid selfish national or commercial interests, but its decisions are not final. The decisions can be overturned in the EU lower court and appealed in the upper court.

The EU stands for democratic values."

Your first sentence is incorrect so didn't read further.

In fact, EU laws are made by EU Commissioners, 27 individuals nominated (but not elected) by each member state.

By *ip2Man 6 weeks ago

Near Maidenhead

[Removed by poster at 04/05/24 18:48:13]

By *ip2Man 6 weeks ago

Near Maidenhead

"EU laws are made by EU Commissioners, 27 individuals nominated (but not elected) by each member state.

"

I respectfully disagree.

Every EU law is published in the Official Journal of the European Union.

At the top of each piece of legislation it says how it was made.

EU laws are formally made by:

1) The binding votes of the national government ministers,

And often also by:

2) The binding votes of the Members of the European Parliament,

After:

3) A proposal by the European Commission,

And usually:

4) After the opinion of the European Economic and Social Committee,

5) After the opinion of the Committee of the Regions,

6) After telling all the national parliaments who have the power to stop a proposal if it goes beyond what's allowed in the Treaties.

For some EU law the European Parliament's vote is an opinion and not binding.

Please see the EU's writeup on how EU law is made.

It's called "The European Union explained: How the European Union works".

There's a good textbook. It's called "Understanding the European Union" by John McCormick.

all around

"We, on the other hand (thanks to the greatest plebiscite in modern history) have decided that come what may we will make our own laws, so if we want to introduce speed warnign systems in cars we are free to do so, if we don’t we don’t have to

Why would you think that? The EU car manufacturers already make special versions of cars for us with the steering wheel on the other side of the vehicle. They are perfectly capable of adding and removing optional extras when people order cars. Why would they spend money fitting the speed compliance kit if it's not needed?

I guess you misunderstood Brexit like most that voted for it.

Are you sure you're right about which of you is misunderstanding things?"

I guess you're in fo a shock in July

Pershore

"EU laws are made by EU Commissioners, 27 individuals nominated (but not elected) by each member state.

I respectfully disagree.

Every EU law is published in the Official Journal of the European Union.

At the top of each piece of legislation it says how it was made.

EU laws are formally made by:

1) The binding votes of the national government ministers,

And often also by:

2) The binding votes of the Members of the European Parliament,

After:

3) A proposal by the European Commission,

And usually:

4) After the opinion of the European Economic and Social Committee,

5) After the opinion of the Committee of the Regions,

6) After telling all the national parliaments who have the power to stop a proposal if it goes beyond what's allowed in the Treaties.

For some EU law the European Parliament's vote is an opinion and not binding.

Please see the EU's writeup on how EU law is made.

It's called "The European Union explained: How the European Union works".

There's a good textbook. It's called "Understanding the European Union" by John McCormick."

Synopsis : Unelected EU Commissioners make EU law.

By *ermbiMan 5 weeks ago

Ballyshannon

"without some EU bureaucrat hacking my car.

The commission proposes and drafts EU law. It does not enact law.

Brit misunderstanding of EU which has led to this Brexit mess.

The EU stands for democratic values.

Your first sentence is incorrect so didn't read further.

In fact, EU laws are made by EU Commissioners, 27 individuals nominated (but not elected) by each member state.

"

By *eroy1000Man 5 weeks ago

milton keynes

If the UK had stayed in the EU could they have blocked this from being implemented ? If not blocked,would cars built in the UK and exported to the EU have to comply with this rule? Lastly, if the UK stayed in the EU would they have had to comply with the rule even for cars sold in the UK only?

No yes yes in simple terms."

Thanks. Assuming correct, then it sounds like the only change between what would have happened and what is happening is who gets to decide on the products being sold in the UK.

By *ip2Man 5 weeks ago

Near Maidenhead

[Removed by poster at 05/05/24 18:31:56]

By *ip2Man 5 weeks ago

Near Maidenhead

"Synopsis : Unelected EU Commissioners make EU law."

Sorry, but this is impossible to understand.

If the European Commission offers a proposal, but the government ministers say no, does the proposal go ahead and become EU law?

No, it does not.

I heard about this on a visit to the European Parliament.

The Commission would like to do more on workers' rights but it's the national governments that say no.

It's the national government ministers - and usually also the directly elected Members of the European Parliament - who adopt EU law.

It's hardly surprising that the people who best understand the EU is the EU.

The European Commission is appointed and not elected for a good reason.

It has to be independent. That is a safeguard.

Its independence would be ruined if it were elected, because then it would be beholden to a particular group.

The European Commission provides a service. It has an important job. It makes zero EU laws on its own.

Don't take my word for it. Why should I do anyone's work for them?

The EU Publications Office has done a good job of writing the booklets on how the EU's democratic process works.

They're available in print at Europe House in Smith Square in London.

They're available in PDF format online.

I encourage everyone to read them for themselves.

By *ust RachelTV/TS 4 weeks ago

Eastbourne

There was a paper published about 10 or so years ago, about having the car record when you speed. The information is downloaded when you have an MOT or service, then your pointa are awarded afterwards.

So a speed limiter isn't that bad an option.

By *ustintime69Man 4 weeks ago

Bristol

"Synopsis : Unelected EU Commissioners make EU law.

If the European Commission offers a proposal, but the government ministers say no, does the proposal go ahead and become EU law?

No, it does not.

The Commission would like to do more on workers' rights but it's the national governments that say no.

It's the national government ministers - and usually also the directly elected Members of the European Parliament - who adopt EU law.

Its independence would be ruined if it were elected, because then it would be beholden to a particular group.

The European Commission provides a service. It has an important job. It makes zero EU laws on its own.

The EU Publications Office has done a good job of writing the booklets on how the EU's democratic process works.

I encourage everyone to read them for themselves."

Oh mate, you can try and lead the donkeys to clean drinking water and explain exactly how it has been democratically and thoughtfully provided by the EU but they would still rather stand in rivers of shit braying that they now have the inalienable right as Englishmen to do so while waving their shit stained Union Jacks!

By *orses and PoniesMan 4 weeks ago

Ealing

No, it does not.

I encourage everyone to read them for themselves."

. The good news is that most people understand how the EU works . We were in it for close to 40 years .

Luckily more forward looking people recognised that it did not provide value for money and was of little benefit to us . Only a few large countries were net contributors . Why waste public funds when we know that we can provide a better service ourselves outside the EU?

To date leaving has made no difference to most people so it is onwards and upwards to reap the benefits of our democratic decision.

We still trade will all our EU partners with a few minor differences in terms. Lots of new trade deals have secured a bright future for us .

By *estivalMan 4 weeks ago

borehamwood

No, it does not.

Oh mate, you can try and lead the donkeys to clean drinking water and explain exactly how it has been democratically and thoughtfully provided by the EU but they would still rather stand in rivers of shit braying that they now have the inalienable right as Englishmen to do so while waving their shit stained Union Jacks!

"

english people dont wave union jacks the wave the george cross, people who class themselves as british wave the other flag

Bristol

No, it does not.

english people dont wave union jacks the wave the george cross, people who class themselves as british wave the other flag"

oh it’s all in the finer details

By *oxychick35Couple 4 weeks ago

thornaby

No, it does not.

english people dont wave union jacks the wave the george cross, people who class themselves as british wave the other flag"

godsake don’t tell him there’s more than one flag he will overload lol

Bristol

No, it does not.

english people dont wave union jacks the wave the george cross, people who class themselves as british wave the other flaggodsake don’t tell him there’s more than one flag he will overload lol"

Ah foxy you’ve always had a lot to say over the years haven’t you pet

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 4 weeks ago

golden fields

No, it does not.

I think you give too much credit to the flag waving enthusiasts.

By *ermbiMan 4 weeks ago

Ballyshannon

No, it does not.

I encourage everyone to read them for themselves.. The good news is that most people understand how the EU works . We were in it for close to 40 years .

Luckily more forward looking people recognised that it did not provide value for money and was of little benefit to us . Only a few large countries were net contributors . Why waste public funds when we know that we can provide a better service ourselves outside the EU?

To date leaving has made no difference to most people so it is onwards and upwards to reap the benefits of our democratic decision.

We still trade will all our EU partners with a few minor differences in terms. Lots of new trade deals have secured a bright future for us . "

The average person did not have a clue how the EU worked or its structures. That was clearly evident at referendum. Is the better service outside the EU the health service and the £350 million per week promised. I overstated there just like the politicians lol.

You admit leaving has made no difference to most. So why leave. Tell me what brilliant trade deals there have been??

By *orses and PoniesMan 4 weeks ago

Ealing

No, it does not.

I encourage everyone to read them for themselves.. The good news is that most people understand how the EU works . We were in it for close to 40 years .

We still trade will all our EU partners with a few minor differences in terms. Lots of new trade deals have secured a bright future for us .

The average person did not have a clue how the EU worked or its structures. That was clearly evident at referendum. Is the better service outside the EU the health service and the £350 million per week promised. I overstated there just like the politicians lol.

You admit leaving has made no difference to most. So why leave. Tell me what brilliant trade deals there have been??"

. Your post is a little insulting to the average person. On important issues most people are able to do their own research. All the discussions prior to the referendum proved that. We now have new trade deals and lots of others in the pipeline . Why would the UK have wanted to stay in the EU and pay £ 9 billion per annum for the privilege. ?

By *coptoCouple 4 weeks ago

Côte d'Azur & Great Yarmouth

"Why would the UK have wanted to stay in the EU and pay £ 9 billion per annum for the privilege?"

Exactly! £9 billion saved per annum divided by 52 weeks equals 350 million per week available for the NHS.

It doesn't? Bugger, that's the Farage/Johnson calculation I read on the side of a bus and why I voted Brexit... NOT!

By *ophieslutTV/TS 4 weeks ago

Central

No, it does not.

You admit leaving has made no difference to most. So why leave. Tell me what brilliant trade deals there have been??. Your post is a little insulting to the average person. On important issues most people are able to do their own research. All the discussions prior to the referendum proved that. We now have new trade deals and lots of others in the pipeline . Why would the UK have wanted to stay in the EU and pay £ 9 billion per annum for the privilege. ? "

A stronger economy and easier trading?

By *I Two OP   Couple 4 weeks ago

all around

No, it does not.

You admit leaving has made no difference to most. So why leave. Tell me what brilliant trade deals there have been??. Your post is a little insulting to the average person. On important issues most people are able to do their own research. All the discussions prior to the referendum proved that. We now have new trade deals and lots of others in the pipeline . Why would the UK have wanted to stay in the EU and pay £ 9 billion per annum for the privilege. ? "

Ask the farmers or fishermen ?

Everyone has lost out to some degree but some are in denial

By *ermbiMan 4 weeks ago

Ballyshannon

No, it does not.

I don't think it is insulting. People were misled.

The trade deals are poor. Let's take Japan for example as a major economy. The value of the trade deal amounts to what it takes to run the Commonwealth Office. Pathetic.

Other deals will be punitive as they are smaller economies.

By *eroy1000Man 4 weeks ago

milton keynes

No, it does not.

english people dont wave union jacks the wave the george cross, people who class themselves as british wave the other flaggodsake don’t tell him there’s more than one flag he will overload lol"

Flags are in the news lately as apparently the EU flag was banned from the Eurovision thing at the weekend. It seems it was the same last year but more rigorously enforced. Bit confusing as they say there is no written policy on banning it but also say only the flags of the competing nations and rainbow flags are permitted. The EU are to tell them of the error of their ways.

golden fields

"On important issues most people are able to do their own research.

"

"

All the discussions prior to the referendum proved that. We now have new trade deals and lots of others in the pipeline . "

Seemed to have contracted yourself there.

By *ornucopiaMan 4 weeks ago

Bexley

"

... Personally I'd be more than pissed off if the EU started taking control of my car."

It already has because the great British motoring public was too dim to notice it happenning over the last few decades.

Drive, as I do, Japanese imports and you would realise the European quirks you have had foisted on you as standard.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 4 weeks ago

Gilfach

"Personally I'd be more than pissed off if the EU started taking control of my car."

"It already has because the great British motoring public was too dim to notice it happenning over the last few decades.

Drive, as I do, Japanese imports and you would realise the European quirks you have had foisted on you as standard."

Would you like to tell us some of those quirks?

By *irldnCouple 4 weeks ago

Brighton

No, it does not.

You admit leaving has made no difference to most. So why leave. Tell me what brilliant trade deals there have been??. Your post is a little insulting to the average person. On important issues most people are able to do their own research. All the discussions prior to the referendum proved that. We now have new trade deals and lots of others in the pipeline . Why would the UK have wanted to stay in the EU and pay £ 9 billion per annum for the privilege. ?

A stronger economy and easier trading?"

I suspect someone does not understand the concept of Net Benefit?

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 4 weeks ago

nearby

"

... Personally I'd be more than pissed off if the EU started taking control of my car.

It already has because the great British motoring public was too dim to notice it happenning over the last few decades.

Drive, as I do, Japanese imports and you would realise the European quirks you have had foisted on you as standard."

New cars purchases in uk are much cheaper than Europe, where the new car tax is often as much as the car itself.

“ UK a ‘tax haven’ for polluting SUVs, says green thinktank”

“ The first-year VED for a medium-large SUV, such as the BMW X5, costs £1,565 in the UK compared with a €60,000 (£51,400) tax in France, which also has a further surcharge on heavier cars”

Full article guardian 1.3.2024

In addition uk vat on new cars is lower than many countries in Europe

all around

"

... Personally I'd be more than pissed off if the EU started taking control of my car.

Drive, as I do, Japanese imports and you would realise the European quirks you have had foisted on you as standard.

New cars purchases in uk are much cheaper than Europe, where the new car tax is often as much as the car itself.

“ The first-year VED for a medium-large SUV, such as the BMW X5, costs £1,565 in the UK compared with a €60,000 (£51,400) tax in France, which also has a further surcharge on heavier cars”

In addition uk vat on new cars is lower than many countries in Europe "

New car prices,VED and vat were different in many EU countries before Brexit so not much change there

Bexley

"Personally I'd be more than pissed off if the EU started taking control of my car.

Would you like to tell us some of those quirks?"

Sure. where shall I start?

Steering column controls handed for the ergonomic benefit of continental drivers.

Foot well space apportioned for the benefit of continental drivers.

Gate interlock layout on gear levers standardised to be cupped and lifted comfortably with the driver's right hand.

The only door with a keyhole is on our passenger door.

The bonnet release down on the passenger side.

Subtleties in the layout of instruments (if cars still have any) relating to viewing convenience.

More of these 'improvements' on the way, no doubt, as long as nobody is bothered about looking after the interests of British drivers, our government is more interested in fleecing them than anything else.

Brighton

"Personally I'd be more than pissed off if the EU started taking control of my car.

Steering column controls handed for the ergonomic benefit of continental drivers.

Gate interlock layout on gear levers standardised to be cupped and lifted comfortably with the driver's right hand.

Subtleties in the layout of instruments (if cars still have any) relating to viewing convenience.

More of these 'improvements' on the way, no doubt, as long as nobody is bothered about looking after the interests of British drivers, our government is more interested in fleecing them than anything else.

"

Is this an EU thing or a left hand vs right hand drive thing?

As the majority of the World drives on the left, most manufacturers build for that market and then fudge their cars for the smaller right hand drive market (UK, Ireland, Australia, NZ, India - any others? Mostly/all ex-British colonies anyway).

all around

"

Few if any of these "quirks" apply to my VW or my BMW

Most noticeable, bonnet release in drivers (RHS) footwell and on the VW key entry is hidden on the drivers door and no clue about the BMW or even if it has one lol

By *idnight RamblerMan 4 weeks ago

Pershore

As the majority of the World drives on the left, most manufacturers build for that market and then fudge their cars for the smaller right hand drive market (UK, Ireland, Australia, NZ, India - any others? Mostly/all ex-British colonies anyway)."

It's an issue associated with conversion of LH to RH. The job is often sub-optimal. The fusebox on a Peugeot is a nightmare to access, hidden deep behind the glove compartment and buried behind cable looms.

Gilfach

"Would you like to tell us some of those quirks?"

"Sure. where shall I start?

The only door with a keyhole is on our passenger door."

I've never seen a right-hand-drive car with a keyhole only on the passenger side.

All the rest, as others have pointed out, is just LHD to RHD conversion, nothing to do with EU regulations.

Brighton

As the majority of the World drives on the left, most manufacturers build for that market and then fudge their cars for the smaller right hand drive market (UK, Ireland, Australia, NZ, India - any others? Mostly/all ex-British colonies anyway)."

I meant majority drives on the right obv

By *ermbiMan 4 weeks ago

Ballyshannon

Ireland was definitely not a colony

Bexley

"Would you like to tell us some of those quirks?

I've never seen a right-hand-drive car with a keyhole only on the passenger side.

All the rest, as others have pointed out, is just LHD to RHD conversion, nothing to do with EU regulations."

You probably haven't looked enough to notice.

i have, which is why I have seen all these things!

Gilfach

"Would you like to tell us some of those quirks?"

"Sure. where shall I start?

The only door with a keyhole is on our passenger door."

"I've never seen a right-hand-drive car with a keyhole only on the passenger side.

All the rest, as others have pointed out, is just LHD to RHD conversion, nothing to do with EU regulations."

"You probably haven't looked enough to notice.

i have, which is why I have seen all these things!"

I'm unconvinced.

But going back to the start, originally someone posted "Personally I'd be more than pissed off if the EU started taking control of my car", and you replied "It already has ...". Having an unergonomic gearstick gate, and an inconveniently placed fuse box doesn't constitute the EU taking control of your car.

milton keynes

"

In addition uk vat on new cars is lower than many countries in Europe "

That sounds incredibly expensive. Are you saying that they have to pay the 60,000 euros on top of the purchase price of the vehicle? Or am I misunderstanding. Is the car purchase price significantly cheaper than the UK to offset some of this big bill?

milton keynes

I believe Japan also drive on the same side as the UK

all around

Years ago the republic of Ireland had huge taxes on new cars but the base price was amongst the cheapest in Europe.

I bought a brand new Toyota and imported it to the UK and paid UK VAT ended up paying around 65% of the UK otr price although the spec was not identical I got Aircon and the UK model had a sunroof

Another Brexit benefit you couldn't do that any more

Bexley

"....

As the majority of the World drives on the left, most manufacturers build for that market and then fudge their cars for the smaller right hand drive market (UK, Ireland, Australia, NZ, India - any others? Mostly/all ex-British colonies anyway).

... I believe Japan also drive on the same side as the UK"

Absolutely correct. the big difference is that the Japanese don't 'fudge' (as has been so well put by the poster above) their home market cars. They are built properly from the start.

Australia, New Zealand, India, many SE Asian, African and Caribbean countries are all supplied with non fudged high quality cars direct from Japan.

The fudged ones (outside UK and Ireland) are mainly models like GM derived Holdens in Australia and the various German RHD cars sent there. However most of those marques are aimed at the smartarse and poser markets rather than the value for money customers. so of no relevance to my requirements!

I only became aware of this anomaly since I started travelling extensively and have been lucky enough to either rent or have been transported in some superb non European Japanese made vehicles we can only dream about in the bodged euro market UK.

I will try not to bleat on about it but I know I am right and that the great British motoring public have been taken for mugs in recent decades.

Start looking, instead of saying that you've never noticed, and you might also see what I have seen. Some of you just need to be a little more observant. you might start noticing the quirks I have listed!

milton keynes

"....

... I believe Japan also drive on the same side as the UK

Absolutely correct. the big difference is that the Japanese don't 'fudge' (as has been so well put by the poster above) their home market cars. They are built properly from the start.

Australia, New Zealand, India, many SE Asian, African and Caribbean countries are all supplied with non fudged high quality cars direct from Japan.

The fudged ones (outside UK and Ireland) are mainly models like GM derived Holdens in Australia and the various German RHD cars sent there. However most of those marques are aimed at the smartarse and poser markets rather than the value for money customers. so of no relevance to my requirements!

I only became aware of this anomaly since I started travelling extensively and have been lucky enough to either rent or have been transported in some superb non European Japanese made vehicles we can only dream about in the bodged euro market UK.

I will try not to bleat on about it but I know I am right and that the great British motoring public have been taken for mugs in recent decades.

Start looking, instead of saying that you've never noticed, and you might also see what I have seen. Some of you just need to be a little more observant. you might start noticing the quirks I have listed!"

I think you have mixed me up with another poster. I made no mention of anything I have noticed or not noticed. I was simply adding to the list from Birldn of places that drive on the same side as the UK.

nearby

"

In addition uk vat on new cars is lower than many countries in Europe

That sounds incredibly expensive. Are you saying that they have to pay the 60,000 euros on top of the purchase price of the vehicle? Or am I misunderstanding. Is the car purchase price significantly cheaper than the UK to offset some of this big bill? "

According to the guardian article, yes on top of purchase price. Although I think it’s aimed at suv.

Bexley

"....

Start looking, instead of saying that you've never noticed, and you might also see what I have seen. Some of you just need to be a little more observant. you might start noticing the quirks I have listed!

I think you have mixed me up with another poster. I made no mention of anything I have noticed or not noticed. I was simply adding to the list from Birldn of places that drive on the same side as the UK. "

Sorry, the format on here doesn't differentiate between diferent participants getting requoted. I wish admin could sort that out.

My reference to noticing things was pitched at the great motoring public as much as referring to previous thread comments. Apologies for making it look personal in this instance.

I often try to indicate that comments are from diifferent sources by using ellipses(...), by way of some convention which hope might catch on...!

Brighton

I believe Japan also drive on the same side as the UK"

Oh yes good one Leroy. As follow on posts show, makes the point on fudged Japanese cars in the UK even weirder!

thornaby

No, it does not.

english people dont wave union jacks the wave the george cross, people who class themselves as british wave the other flaggodsake don’t tell him there’s more than one flag he will overload lol

Ah foxy you’ve always had a lot to say over the years haven’t you pet "

iv not been on much last few years tbh I couldn’t handle the crying over brexit crap think most of us need a break from here now and then tho

By *ackal1Couple 4 weeks ago

Manchester

Just from my experience

Trucks had speed limiters fitted years before the legislation came in to turn them on.

The technology now can limit the car to the stated speed limit automatically so if it’s 30 your car goes thirty max. If it’s 70 then that will be its limit. In Germany on only a few limitless autobahns the car will know to turn off any limits.

Car manufacturers will follow the European model as it’s easier to manufacture .

No idea if this will happen or not but today if you get caught with a radar detector in France you may be getting a possible €900 euro fine .

If you don’t have a speed limiter fitted because it’s a U.K. spec car while travelling in Europe again you may be fined.

No strong view personally but expect these limiters to eventually be imposed here . They will say it’s for safety and it is, but it also helps reduce congestion . Another cheap way of not building roads . Hard shoulder anyone?

golden fields

No, it does not.

english people dont wave union jacks the wave the george cross, people who class themselves as british wave the other flaggodsake don’t tell him there’s more than one flag he will overload lol

Ah foxy you’ve always had a lot to say over the years haven’t you pet iv not been on much last few years tbh I couldn’t handle the crying over brexit crap think most of us need a break from here now and then tho "

Brexit banter is the best fun.

Some people still haven't got the slightest notion what leaving the EU has meant for the UK, and some even still think it was a good idea!

It's the gift that keeps on giving.

thornaby

No, it does not.

Ah foxy you’ve always had a lot to say over the years haven’t you pet iv not been on much last few years tbh I couldn’t handle the crying over brexit crap think most of us need a break from here now and then tho

Some people still haven't got the slightest notion what leaving the EU has meant for the UK, and some even still think it was a good idea!

It's the gift that keeps on giving. "

and some still think we’ve fell of the cliff life’s not changed for anyone maybe the mental health of remainers as took a turn for the worse

golden fields

No, it does not.

Ah foxy you’ve always had a lot to say over the years haven’t you pet iv not been on much last few years tbh I couldn’t handle the crying over brexit crap think most of us need a break from here now and then tho

It's the gift that keeps on giving. and some still think we’ve fell of the cliff life’s not changed for anyone maybe the mental health of remainers as took a turn for the worse "

See! Amazing

By *atEvolutionCouple 4 weeks ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

"

If you don’t have a speed limiter fitted because it’s a U.K. spec car while travelling in Europe again you may be fined.

"

This is NOT true. The European Legislation applies ONLY to new cars made in Europe from 7th July 2024 onwards. If your car was imported from Europe after this date, then it will have one fitted anyway.

If ANY car predates this Legislation date, it is unaffected by the change in Law.

People are also misunderstanding what the speed limiter is. It's not a device that will not let the car travel over a certain speed on a permanent basis. It is set by the driver.

My car for example has 4 cameras and 4 radars that watch front, rear and sides, they read vehicle in front, road signs, speed of vehicle in front, when the vehicle is braking etc etc etc. They can take control of the car in a number of ways: Chatter the steering, resist me changing lane, apply the brakes, slow my speed. Auto Cruise the vehicle in front. At any time I can switch it off or simply press the accelerator or brake or resist the steering device or my speed. No car under the new legislation will have complete control of the car against the drivers wishes. Simply because one day the car itself will perform the crash. (only have to look at Tesla for that proof)

The Euro legislation - say that ALL cars after the above date have to have the same device that does basically what many new cars do already.

Got an old car? No Problem. No fines unless you exceed the speed limit.

all around

"Would you like to tell us some of those quirks?

All the rest, as others have pointed out, is just LHD to RHD conversion, nothing to do with EU regulations.

You probably haven't looked enough to notice.

i have, which is why I have seen all these things!

"

So I'm wrong, my bonnet release and key entry aren't on the UK drivers side ?

all around

"

The European Legislation applies ONLY to new cars made in Europe from 7th July 2024 onwards. If your car was imported from Europe after this date, then it will have one fitted anyway.

People are also misunderstanding what the speed limiter is. It's not a device that will not let the car travel over a certain speed on a permanent basis. It is set by the driver.

"

I think you'll find it's also fitted to all cars made in the UK from 7th July 2024. Also it seems any cars in showrooms after 7th July will need to have them retrofitted.

There are 3 modes for the speed limiter, advisory such as light of buzzer, active such as pushing the accelerator pedal back if your speeding and mandatory which will reduce engine power if you're speeding

[Removed by poster at 15/05/24 14:48:22]

Our Trafic Camper has no key entry on the driver's side, but it does have one on the passenger side.

Pershore

"

The European Legislation applies ONLY to new cars made in Europe from 7th July 2024 onwards. If your car was imported from Europe after this date, then it will have one fitted anyway.

I think you'll find it's also fitted to all cars made in the UK from 7th July 2024. Also it seems any cars in showrooms after 7th July will need to have them retrofitted.

There are 3 modes for the speed limiter, advisory such as light of buzzer, active such as pushing the accelerator pedal back if your speeding and mandatory which will reduce engine power if you're speeding"

The long term goal is to implement the latter - remote speed reduction. I'm old school and would hate that, but I can see there might be safety advantages and helpful in Police pursuits.

There are a serious number of issues with the devices too:

* We got a sycamore leaf plastered across the lower radar unit and the main radar turned off the whole system - except leaving lane warnings and rear approach speeds of other vehicles. It wasn't until we got home that we found it.

* The cameras can get swamped and switch off in heavy rain and snow or front spray from trucks.

* On Auto-Crusie. If the car is in a long curve and the cameras and radar stop pointing at the vehicles in front the system will sometimes think that a car in front is no longer there and rise to the set driver speed. This can be quite scary when the auto cruise had been following the car in front and it had slowed the car to 40/50 etc then suddenly accelerate the car to 70 (driver set speed).

* The system has more than once read a side road 30mph sign while I was on a 40mph road curve and slowed the car down quite rapidly.

* It once read a bus shelter sign that said slowin down on side roads saves lives. and slowed the car from 40 to 20mph with a really hard braking, which meant the car behind had to do the same too!!!

It is good most of the time, but sometimes it really needs . . . &^&*&^

Pershore

Anyway, not only are they dumping their botched cars on us, it now turns out they are plundering our sand eels to feed to Danish pigs. Our rare and beautiful Puffins are starving and close to extinction. We've had the audacity to ask their factory ships to ease up a bit and now the EU are threatening trade sanctions.

By *deepdiveMan 4 weeks ago

France / Birmingham

"Anyway, not only are they dumping their botched cars on us, it now turns out they are plundering our sand eels to feed to Danish pigs. Our rare and beautiful Puffins are starving and close to extinction. We've had the audacity to ask their factory ships to ease up a bit and now the EU are threatening trade sanctions. "

It's so difficult being constantly persecuted by the EU...

Bexley

"Our Trafic Camper has no key entry on the driver's side, but it does have one on the passenger side.

"

That figures, it is the driver's door in France. It will also be the master lock for the vehicle if used manually. All the ergonomics are based on being convenient for French drivers.

Talking of Trafics, if you look at models with hinged tail doors, you will see that they are sized so that they get less in the way when opened if parked on the correct side of the road in France. Also, the number plate panels are positioned to be on the LHD offside. There is a logical reason for that in LHD countries, which is why mainland Europe chose that spec.

The whole point of this thread, surely, is pointing out that even though we are no longer bound by European conventions we obviously still are!

By *ermbiMan 4 weeks ago

Ballyshannon

"Anyway, not only are they dumping their botched cars on us, it now turns out they are plundering our sand eels to feed to Danish pigs. Our rare and beautiful Puffins are starving and close to extinction. We've had the audacity to ask their factory ships to ease up a bit and now the EU are threatening trade sanctions. "

Did the puffins vote leave too???

By *otMe66Man 4 weeks ago

Terra Firma

Seems as though our countries wildlife are irrelevant to some posters.

Gilfach

"The whole point of this thread, surely, is pointing out that even though we are no longer bound by European conventions we obviously still are!"

No. This thread is about EU regulations, not conventions.

nearby

"Our Trafic Camper has no key entry on the driver's side, but it does have one on the passenger side.

That figures, it is the driver's door in France. It will also be the master lock for the vehicle if used manually. All the ergonomics are based on being convenient for French drivers.

Talking of Trafics, if you look at models with hinged tail doors, you will see that they are sized so that they get less in the way when opened if parked on the correct side of the road in France. Also, the number plate panels are positioned to be on the LHD offside. There is a logical reason for that in LHD countries, which is why mainland Europe chose that spec.

The whole point of this thread, surely, is pointing out that even though we are no longer bound by European conventions we obviously still are!

"

First world problems

My Boardman push bike does not suffer from these issues. It has a pedal on each side.

Brighton

"

But as now discussed at length, this specific example of cars is not an illustration of EU/European conventions. It is merely a result of car manufacturers prioritising design and production for LHD cars due to that being the World’s larger market.

By *ustaboutSaneMan 4 weeks ago

my world

For 10 years I've been saying we need to implement direct speed limiters on all vehicles except service once as the technology was already in the cars. Entering and exiting a speed zone automatically. This would save millions upon millions on NHS costs, emergency service costs, no need for speed cameras or speed control services and personnel who would then be used elsewhere...the list goes on and on.

The argument here was all against it as it took away person human rights ignoring thyet ignoring the rights of those who were injured and the knock on consequences.

Even had a counselor on here who argued vehemently against my suggestions from a human rights perspective.

It's about time it's brought in....

oh and fit the technology on cyclists too .

By *otMe66Man 4 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"For 10 years I've been saying we need to implement direct speed limiters on all vehicles except service once as the technology was already in the cars. Entering and exiting a speed zone automatically. This would save millions upon millions on NHS costs, emergency service costs, no need for speed cameras or speed control services and personnel who would then be used elsewhere...the list goes on and on.

The argument here was all against it as it took away person human rights ignoring thyet ignoring the rights of those who were injured and the knock on consequences.

Even had a counselor on here who argued vehemently against my suggestions from a human rights perspective.

oh and fit the technology on cyclists too ."

My human rights to travel at whatever speed I like argument

By *llie37555Man 4 weeks ago

Market Drayton

"For 10 years I've been saying we need to implement direct speed limiters on all vehicles except service once as the technology was already in the cars. Entering and exiting a speed zone automatically. This would save millions upon millions on NHS costs, emergency service costs, no need for speed cameras or speed control services and personnel who would then be used elsewhere...the list goes on and on.

"

You are being chased by a dangerous criminal/flash flood/wild fire and in imminent danger.

You are taking someone to hospital in an emergency and you have been told by the ambulance despatcher that no ambulance is available and that you should drive them there yourself.

Other than that, there's really no excuse to speed

Pershore

You are being chased by a dangerous criminal/flash flood/wild fire and in imminent danger.

You are taking someone to hospital in an emergency and you have been told by the ambulance despatcher that no ambulance is available and that you should drive them there yourself.

Other than that, there's really no excuse to speed"

Indeed, but there's no excuse for any law breaking. But does that mean we must of 'big brother' government controlling every aspect of our lives?

By *llie37555Man 4 weeks ago

Market Drayton

Other than that, there's really no excuse to speed

Indeed, but there's no excuse for any law breaking. But does that mean we must of 'big brother' government controlling every aspect of our lives? "

Well, there are excuses - you've just acknowledged that by exclaiming 'indeed'

Whether they will wash is an entirely different matter. Some will. For instance, committing a crime

In self defence

Under involuntary intoxication

To prevent greater harm - you break a water pipe to stop a fire

To rescue someone - are you going to press charges if someone kicks your door in to get you out of your house on fire?

Where the law is unjust. Before 1967, men had sex with men against the law. They've since been pardoned.

There's always excuses, justifications, mitigating factors. It's just, will they wash and to what effect?

By the way, I hate the nanny state as a starting point.

By *ssex_tomMan 2 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Too many seem bitter that the leaves side won. It was bloomin years ago. Let it go and focus on your futures and not your past..

By *ermbiMan 2 weeks ago

Ballyshannon

"Too many seem bitter that the leaves side won. It was bloomin years ago. Let it go and focus on your futures and not your past.. "

It wasn't years ago and it was and is a disaster. Electorate totally misled.

Chelmsford

"Too many seem bitter that the leaves side won. It was bloomin years ago. Let it go and focus on your futures and not your past..

It wasn't years ago and it was and is a disaster. Electorate totally misled. "

You misled perhaps .. not everyone

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 2 weeks ago

golden fields

"Too many seem bitter that the leaves side won. It was bloomin years ago. Let it go and focus on your futures and not your past.. "

How are we supposed to do that when our politicians are still pretending it was a good idea?

By *deepdiveMan 2 weeks ago

France / Birmingham

"Too many seem bitter that the leaves side won. It was bloomin years ago. Let it go and focus on your futures and not your past..

How are we supposed to do that when our politicians are still pretending it was a good idea?"

Our politicians are trying to ignore it like "the elephant in the room" in a similar fashion to quite a number of people on here who simply won't accept that it has been nothing more than a costly exercise which has gained nothing.

Total farce

Chelmsford

How are we supposed to do that when our politicians are still pretending it was a good idea?

Our politicians are trying to ignore it like "the elephant in the room" in a similar fashion to quite a number of people on here who simply won't accept that it has been nothing more than a costly exercise which has gained nothing.

Total farce "

Brexit is a success.

By *deepdiveMan 2 weeks ago

France / Birmingham

Total farce

Brexit is a success. "

At least someone has a sense of humour

Chelmsford

Better to live one day as a free man than a hundred as a slav,e

Chelmsford

The benefits of Brexit have been amazing..

We should never look back.

golden fields

"The benefits of Brexit have been amazing..

We should never look back."

I'll have one of what you're having.

By *I Two OP   Couple 2 weeks ago

all around

"Better to live one day as a free man than a hundred as a slav,e"

Precisely why we should have stayed in the EU

Well done

By *orses and PoniesMan 2 weeks ago

Ealing

Total farce "

Maybe you need to look at the published accounts of various plcs and read the directors reports. Brexit rarely gets a mention. We may have incurred some transition costs but the benefits of being able to trade on our own terms should be obvious

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 2 weeks ago

nearby

Total farce Maybe you need to look at the published accounts of various plcs and read the directors reports. Brexit rarely gets a mention. We may have incurred some transition costs but the benefits of being able to trade on our own terms should be obvious "

https://obr.uk/box/the-latest-evidence-on-the-impact-of-brexit-on-uk-trade/

https://www.publicpolicyexchange.co.uk/event.php?eventUID=OB22-PPE#:~:text=Brexit%2C%20the%20pandemic%2C%20and%20rising,million%20visits%20in%20June%202019.

https://theconversation.com/i-might-as-well-stop-and-diversify-into-holiday-lets-new-research-reveals-the-reality-of-farming-after-brexit-225133

By *ouple in LancashireCouple 2 weeks ago

in Lancashire

Total farce Maybe you need to look at the published accounts of various plcs and read the directors reports. Brexit rarely gets a mention. We may have incurred some transition costs but the benefits of being able to trade on our own terms should be obvious "

But we aren't trading on our own terms, we are having to pay extra in administration for the same trade we had before..

That's not a plus..

all around

The British chamber of commerce reports would differ

By *ouple in LancashireCouple 2 weeks ago

in Lancashire

Total farce Maybe you need to look at the published accounts of various plcs and read the directors reports. Brexit rarely gets a mention. We may have incurred some transition costs but the benefits of being able to trade on our own terms should be obvious

The British chamber of commerce reports would differ"

In la la land such long established organisation are not to be trusted with their actual facts..

By *wosmilersCouple 2 weeks ago

Heathrowish

The year is 2050.

Members of fab generally fall into 3 camps.

1. The majority who simply swallow it and move on because they accept that the ship has left the port, carrying some pros and some cons.

2. Some who dwell on a past nostalgic concept that if they stamp their feet, the sun will break out and the planets will align (wishing that we had remained).

3. Some who dwell on a past nostalgic concept that if they stamp their feet, the sun will break out and the planets will align (espousing what they see as virtues following our leaving).

By *lderguy4uMan 2 weeks ago

wirral

Been in mercs for years

golden fields

"The year is 2050.

1. The majority who simply swallow it and move on because they accept that the ship has left the port, carrying some pros and some cons.

2. Some who dwell on a past nostalgic concept that if they stamp their feet, the sun will break out and the planets will align (wishing that we had remained).

3. Some who dwell on a past nostalgic concept that if they stamp their feet, the sun will break out and the planets will align (espousing what they see as virtues following our leaving)."

Fab members in 2050. -

It's too early to judge Brexit. Give it another 25 years and we might have an news about an indication that there might be a tangible benefit one day.

all around

"The year is 2050.

3. Some who dwell on a past nostalgic concept that if they stamp their feet, the sun will break out and the planets will align (espousing what they see as virtues following our leaving)."

You forgot

4 the unfortunates who were fooled into voting for self harm will never admit they were conned. They will continue to deny

By *wosmilersCouple 2 weeks ago

Heathrowish

"The year is 2050.

3. Some who dwell on a past nostalgic concept that if they stamp their feet, the sun will break out and the planets will align (espousing what they see as virtues following our leaving).

You forgot

4 the unfortunates who were fooled into voting for self harm will never admit they were conned. They will continue to deny "

Didn't forget.....because by then, I think people will fall into 1, 2 or 3.....including you

By *ackal1Couple 2 weeks ago

Manchester

"

This is NOT true. The European Legislation applies ONLY to new cars made in Europe from 7th July 2024 onwards. If your car was imported from Europe after this date, then it will have one fitted anyway.

If ANY car predates this Legislation date, it is unaffected by the change in Law.

My car for example has 4 cameras and 4 radars that watch front, rear and sides, they read vehicle in front, road signs, speed of vehicle in front, when the vehicle is braking etc etc etc. They can take control of the car in a number of ways: Chatter the steering, resist me changing lane, apply the brakes, slow my speed. Auto Cruise the vehicle in front. At any time I can switch it off or simply press the accelerator or brake or resist the steering device or my speed. No car under the new legislation will have complete control of the car against the drivers wishes. Simply because one day the car itself will perform the crash. (only have to look at Tesla for that proof)

The Euro legislation - say that ALL cars after the above date have to have the same device that does basically what many new cars do already.

Got an old car? No Problem. No fines unless you exceed the speed limit.

"

Thanks for the clarification on present law you are of course correct. I did however say “May”. I was also intimating the direction of legislation.

I owned a fleet of trucks in the 90s and they all had manufactures speed limiters fitted as standard even though they were not switched on.

When the legislation came in to limit the speed of trucks to 56 we had to abide by that ruling even though the U.K. limit was still 60. ( yes EU rule but fair for all)

The limiters whether we like it or not will definitely one day soon become automatic dependant on the specific road and you won’t have the choice to switch them off.

Many truck drivers had switches installed to override the limiter but the fines imposed on both driver and owner soon limited that practice.

Personally I genuinely believe all vehicles should have limiters that kick in when entering a 30mph zone.

It will be safer but also a positive will be the joy riders won’t have much fun racing around at 30 so why bother stealing a car.

By *ornucopiaMan 2 weeks ago

Bexley

[Removed by poster at 31/05/24 19:01:54]

By *ornucopiaMan 2 weeks ago

Bexley

Much though I have disliked Europe's influence over us, I have cursed the metric martyrdom brigade for impeding the progress of metrication.

Were it not for our dogged clinging to miles and miles per hour, we might be enjoying a slightly more realistic 40 kph limit it towns instead of the funereal 20 mph.

The metric derived 56 mph for lorries is at least a little faster than 50 which would undoubtedly have been the logical choice for our legislators,resulting in even slower lorry lanes.

By *llie37555Man 2 weeks ago

Market Drayton

"Much though I have disliked Europe's influence over us, I have cursed the metric martyrdom brigade for impeding the progress of metrication.

Were it not for our dogged clinging to miles and miles per hour, we might be enjoying a slightly more realistic 40 kph limit it towns instead of the funereal 20 mph.

The metric derived 56 mph for lorries is at least a little faster than 50 which would undoubtedly have been the logical choice for our legislators,resulting in even slower lorry lanes."

I agree with this. 40 kmh is 25mph which is much more realistic. I am only a few miles away from the Welsh border and it is preposterous driving at 20mph.

Equally, why can we not have nuanced speed limits in gradients of 5mph? We could have motorways at 75 mph, urban limit of 25mph and so on?

By *atEvolutionCouple 1 week ago

Mandatory speed limiters on UK cars from July 2024

All new vehicles sold in Europe – including the UK – will be fitted with a mandatory speed limiter from 2024 to keep cars within the UK speed limits and boost road safety.

From 7 July 2024, all new cars will legally have to be fitted with a speed limiter

***The UK is will be adopting the new speed limiting rules, even after Brexit***

The driver will still be responsible for adhering to the speed limits

All new cars that are launching or have been launched in the European market need to be fitted with an Intelligent Speed Assist (ISA) by 7 July 2024 according to the 2019/2044 regulation by the European Commission. This means any existing unregistered cars on forecourts will have to be retrofitted with a speed limiter before they can be sold.

***Cars already on the road previous to this date will NOT have to be reto-fitted and will be legal to drive in europe and the uk***

By *heel markMan 1 week ago

beside the sea

"Mandatory speed limiters on UK cars from July 2024

All new vehicles sold in Europe – including the UK – will be fitted with a mandatory speed limiter from 2024 to keep cars within the UK speed limits and boost road safety.

From 7 July 2024, all new cars will legally have to be fitted with a speed limiter

***The UK is will be adopting the new speed limiting rules, even after Brexit***

All new cars that are launching or have been launched in the European market need to be fitted with an Intelligent Speed Assist (ISA) by 7 July 2024 according to the 2019/2044 regulation by the European Commission. This means any existing unregistered cars on forecourts will have to be retrofitted with a speed limiter before they can be sold.

***Cars already on the road previous to this date will NOT have to be reto-fitted and will be legal to drive in europe and the uk***"

I will just get a remap and get rid of it , like I've done with my dpf filter . It's handy when family does my mot's

By *wosmilersCouple 1 week ago

Heathrowish

Does this include motorcycles?

By *atEvolutionCouple 1 week ago

"Does this include motorcycles?"

No.

By *ustaboutSaneMan 1 week ago

my world

"Mandatory speed limiters on UK cars from July 2024

***Cars already on the road previous to this date will NOT have to be reto-fitted and will be legal to drive in europe and the uk***

I will just get a remap and get rid of it , like I've done with my dpf filter . It's handy when family does my mot's"

Why do that, when all you'll need to do is push past it with the throttle and you can go faster but a constant warning will be kicked in when you do. It then resets itself after you switch off the engine. It means there are times you can manually override it if you need to, this doesn't take away anyone's rights as some are adverse to.

By *ustaboutSaneMan 1 week ago

my world

"Does this include motorcycles?"

As someone said no for now but it will do when the technology is adapted for motorcycles. Currently the computer technology is not universally used in motorcycles as it is in cars. It will unfortunately.

By *ssex_tomMan 1 week ago

Chelmsford

Are these buggers up to their old tricks ?

By *ornucopiaMan 1 week ago

Bexley

"Are these buggers up to their old tricks ?"

Exactly. Isn't it why everyone voted to leave?

By *ssex_tomMan 6 days ago

Chelmsford

Tom rests his case

By *mateur100Man 6 days ago

nr faversham

"

Not a Brexit fail, more a failure of the elected government to implement Brexit

» Add a new message to this topic