FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Things are starting to calm down

Things are starting to calm down

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *atcouple OP   Couple  over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

After a lifetime decision to leave the EU and all the scaremongering, handwringing, teeth nashing by the "we're all doomed" brigade, the FT is higher than it was before, France has intimated that we can control our borders and have trade deals, a good selection of candidates for prime minister.....

Things are looking up.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

i wouldn't call boris a good candidate for pm

Arghh politics. I can't change my friends families views or opinions. What hope is there to have a discussion on a forum with strangers? None.

I'll leave my thoughts to myself, everyone else carry on haha.

By *unandbuckCouple  over a year ago

Sheffield

Remember there's the politics forum now for these. Down towards the bottom of the list of forums x

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

L

Glastonbury

O

Glastonbury

L

Glastonbury

'Things are starting to quieten down'

By *horehouseCouple  over a year ago

dissatisfied

"After a lifetime decision to leave the EU and all the scaremongering, handwringing, teeth nashing by the "we're all doomed" brigade, the FT is higher than it was before, France has intimated that we can control our borders and have trade deals, a good selection of candidates for prime minister.....

Things are looking up."

Which version of the news did you watch I watched. The one where mark carney said he would step in to stop the financial decline.

Stock.market still down pre brexit vote pound down pre brexit ..and we havnt left yet ..we can all hope the bank of England funds last until we actually do leave although its unlikely

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"After a lifetime decision to leave the EU and all the scaremongering, handwringing, teeth nashing by the "we're all doomed" brigade, the FT is higher than it was before, France has intimated that we can control our borders and have trade deals, a good selection of candidates for prime minister.....

Things are looking up.

Which version of the news did you watch I watched. The one where mark carney said he would step in to stop the financial decline.

Stock.market still down pre brexit vote pound down pre brexit ..and we havnt left yet ..we can all hope the bank of England funds last until we actually do leave although its unlikely

"

Funny because I watched channel 4 news at 7pm earlier and it said the FTSE 100 is higher now than it was before last Thursday.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

the FTSE 250 is a much better indicator, its mainly UK based companies..

By *olgateMan  over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

Things are looking up.

Funny because I watched channel 4 news at 7pm earlier and it said the FTSE 100 is higher now than it was before last Thursday. "

It's actually at its highest since last August

in Lancashire

Things are looking up.

Funny because I watched channel 4 news at 7pm earlier and it said the FTSE 100 is higher now than it was before last Thursday. "

only on the back of a fall in sterling today after what Carney said..

Why would a fall in sterling cause the ftse to rise? Shouldn't the ftse have dropped through the floor when the speculators forced sterling up last Thursday when they expected a remain vote to win?

Cannock

Things are looking up.

Funny because I watched channel 4 news at 7pm earlier and it said the FTSE 100 is higher now than it was before last Thursday.

only on the back of a fall in sterling today after what Carney said.."

The price of Raheem was always going to fall after the performance against Iceland.

Things have definitely calmed down, not seen that Scottish mouthpiece for a day or 2 since the Spanish, French and Tusk told her to piss off

NYT running a huge article on the race to succeed London as the financial capital of the world. It predicts that within a few years, London's position will be untenable - leading to hundreds of thousands of job losses, huge capital flight and a massive part of the UK's GDP being lost.

Just a bit of scaremongering though probably

"NYT running a huge article on the race to succeed London as the financial capital of the world. It predicts that within a few years, London's position will be untenable - leading to hundreds of thousands of job losses, huge capital flight and a massive part of the UK's GDP being lost.

Well they have been holding us to ransom for a long time got to do some work now like the rest of us

Just a bit of scaremongering though probably "

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"NYT running a huge article on the race to succeed London as the financial capital of the world. It predicts that within a few years, London's position will be untenable - leading to hundreds of thousands of job losses, huge capital flight and a massive part of the UK's GDP being lost.

Indeed. I have just finished a two hour series of regular monthly conference calls with my US teams and staff. Most Americans think the UK has just replaced the US as the dumbest nation on the planet. For that, they are grateful.

Indeed. I have just finished a two hour series of regular monthly conference calls with my US teams and staff. Most Americans think the UK has just replaced the US as the dumbest nation on the planet. For that, they are grateful."

does that mean we become the worlds biggest economy then?

Indeed. I have just finished a two hour series of regular monthly conference calls with my US teams and staff. Most Americans think the UK has just replaced the US as the dumbest nation on the planet. For that, they are grateful."

World news and analysis has never been their forte.

Remind them that Iceland jailed their crooked bankers and their economy is now way ahead of the curve.

Things are looking up."

The FTSE may have recovered today, but what about the billions that have been wiped out in the last week? Reporting hate crimes up from 64 to over 300 in a week, political turmoil within Westminster, pound still at its lowest point this year, Virgin and British Aerospace withdrawing any future investment in the Uk. Small businesses having to increase costs due to higher imports, yeah sure things are just spiffing!

We're British!

If nothing else a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through

"We're British!

If nothing else a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through "

what facts are those?

Cannock

Some financial experts (who remainers seem to like to listen to) at the German Deutsche Bank did a report before the referendum on what they thought would be the possible outcome of Brexit on European financial markets. They came to the conclusion if the UK leave the EU, London and the FTSE 100 would outperform the Stoxx 600 (European market) by a margin of 5%. They also concluded that London would continue to be a major financial institution in the world as it has the ability, creativity and freedom to adapt to any changes.

"We're British!

If nothing else a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through "

in Lancashire

"Why would a fall in sterling cause the ftse to rise? Shouldn't the ftse have dropped through the floor when the speculators forced sterling up last Thursday when they expected a remain vote to win?"

to do with the fresh stimulus Carny announced, people moving out of sterling and into stocks..

or something

in Lancashire

Things are looking up.

only on the back of a fall in sterling today after what Carney said..

The price of Raheem was always going to fall after the performance against Iceland. "

his stock has only gone south since Man city brought him..

no refunds..

Cannock

Things are looking up.The FTSE may have recovered today, but what about the billions that have been wiped out in the last week? Reporting hate crimes up from 64 to over 300 in a week, political turmoil within Westminster, pound still at its lowest point this year, Virgin and British Aerospace withdrawing any future investment in the Uk. Small businesses having to increase costs due to higher imports, yeah sure things are just spiffing! "

I see you selectively left out exports there, lol, wonder why? As the pound dropped in May 2016 then the UK saw it's best month for exports since the year 2003.

"Why would a fall in sterling cause the ftse to rise? Shouldn't the ftse have dropped through the floor when the speculators forced sterling up last Thursday when they expected a remain vote to win?

to do with the fresh stimulus Carny announced, people moving out of sterling and into stocks..

or something"

It's always or something

I would prefer to listen to the European financiers who are producing reports that all show favourable figures for the UK

dissatisfied

[Removed by poster at 30/06/16 22:41:19]

dissatisfied

Things are looking up.The FTSE may have recovered today, but what about the billions that have been wiped out in the last week? Reporting hate crimes up from 64 to over 300 in a week, political turmoil within Westminster, pound still at its lowest point this year, Virgin and British Aerospace withdrawing any future investment in the Uk. Small businesses having to increase costs due to higher imports, yeah sure things are just spiffing!

I see you selectively left out exports there, lol, wonder why? As the pound dropped in May 2016 then the UK saw it's best month for exports since the year 2003. "

https://www.thestreet.com/story/13609617/1/deutsche-bank-chairman-brexit-could-be-an-economic-disaster.html

Tells a different story from the duetsche bank from your version

in Lancashire

"Why would a fall in sterling cause the ftse to rise? Shouldn't the ftse have dropped through the floor when the speculators forced sterling up last Thursday when they expected a remain vote to win?

or something

It's always or something

I would prefer to listen to the European financiers who are producing reports that all show favourable figures for the UK"

it was 'or something' as quite honestly that level of how the markets work is a bit out of my grasp..

however the song remains the same it would appear..

Sterling is down as Carny has announced he will need to take further measures over the summer and if that is more QE then some in the financial sector will make money..

the FTSE 100 is back up but the FTSE 250 is down by about 8%..

Carny isn't playing project fear i suspect he's trying to help to stabilise the UK economy..

but hey why the fuck would he have to eh?

so now European financiers are the go to guys..?

listen to whoever you like but as someone said 'follow the money' or in this case look at the actual figures..

dissatisfied

Things are looking up.The FTSE may have recovered today, but what about the billions that have been wiped out in the last week? Reporting hate crimes up from 64 to over 300 in a week, political turmoil within Westminster, pound still at its lowest point this year, Virgin and British Aerospace withdrawing any future investment in the Uk. Small businesses having to increase costs due to higher imports, yeah sure things are just spiffing!

I see you selectively left out exports there, lol, wonder why? As the pound dropped in May 2016 then the UK saw it's best month for exports since the year 2003. "

https://www.thestreet.com/story/13609617/1/deutsche-bank-chairman-brexit-could-be-an-economic-disaster.html

Tells a different story from the duetsche bank from your version

Its only been a week people. If it wasn't for the media feeding frenzy needing a new story every 20 minutes for the short attention spanned most people would just say OK, a bit of an adjustment and jog on.

London does not actually have access to the EU Single Market for services for one simple reason. It hasn't been completed yet. It doesn't even exist and why they invented the 'EU Passport'. London is the biggest global finance centre. Not because we are in the EU but because we created the right circumstances for these businesses to grow and be creative. Frankfurt is just an EU area. Barclays chief today said that they are staying in the UK for these very reasons. As he said: "Why would we move?"

And would companies who have invested £ Billions here throw that away and have to fund up even more Billions of Euros by moving to 'Europe'? And what for? The EU experiment is dying in front of our eyes. The Euro has been hit harder than the £, the main Bourses in Frankfurt, Paris and Madrid have taken a 10% hammering (we took a 5% and then went back higher than before). Unemployment is at 10% while ours is at 5%.

And we haven't even started talking trading arrangements yet and everyone knows the answers ...

And of course the NYT will talk up a London failure. It is after all the NEW YORK Times ... a bit of aclue there? The Yanks are fiercely competitive but then so are we. London has beaten NY for years in global finance and will continue to do so regardless of Brexit because outside of those 27 countries it doesn't matter.

or something

It's always or something

I would prefer to listen to the European financiers who are producing reports that all show favourable figures for the UK

it was 'or something' as quite honestly that level of how the markets work is a bit out of my grasp..

Sterling is down as Carny has announced he will need to take further measures over the summer and if that is more QE then some in the financial sector will make money..

Carny isn't playing project fear i suspect he's trying to help to stabilise the UK economy..

listen to whoever you like but as someone said 'follow the money' or in this case look at the actual figures..

"

Carney got it completely wrong last week like most of the "experts" it is disingenuous of him to now say otherwise. The only thing he got right was having a contingency plan in case sterling did fall.

THAT is what he announced, he has £250million to hand IF it is needed in the future. That is sensible and what he is paid to do.

in Lancashire

or something

It's always or something

Carney got it completely wrong last week like most of the "experts" it is disingenuous of him to now say otherwise. The only thing he got right was having a contingency plan in case sterling did fall.

THAT is what he announced, he has £250million to hand IF it is needed in the future. That is sensible and what he is paid to do. "

i wasn't making a point of whether he was right or wrong in what he has said pre the vote or what he did on Fri i was simply stating what he did today..

and what that did to the 100 and to sterling..

and that the 250 is still 8% down..

the vote is done and accepted and its the now that we are all living in..

if the 250 was through the roof and sterling was high then yes we would all be thinking mmm that's good news for the country..

looking at the where we are now objectively means some on here from both sides playing told you so games..

lest we end up just cunting each other off and that's no basis for a civilised debate..

I'm not cutting anyone off, I am watching where the money goes. It's coming out of Asia at the moment.

in Lancashire

"I'm not cutting anyone off, I am watching where the money goes. It's coming out of Asia at the moment. "

i wasn't referring to you specifically, had i thought you were i would have said so..

more of a general observation based on some on here with this issue..

» Add a new message to this topic