FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > May will not trigger article 50 this year!

May will not trigger article 50 this year!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *illwill69u OP   Man  over a year ago

moston

Is this the start of procrastination.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Could be but then it could be she wants time to figure out what's the best thing to go for?.

She has said brexit will mean brexit!.... For what it's worth

By *horehouseCouple  over a year ago

dissatisfied

http://www.businessinsider.com/brexit-betting-bookmakers-say-its-likely-article-50-might-never-be-triggered-2016-7

Place your bets when

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

"http://www.businessinsider.com/brexit-betting-bookmakers-say-its-likely-article-50-might-never-be-triggered-2016-7

Place your bets when "

Ukip will win a huge majority at the next election if it isnt, fancy NF as PM ?

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

She said from the start it wouldn't be trigged until early next year?

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"Is this the start of procrastination."

Unlike many of the reality deniers who voted for Brexit, our Prime Minister is not going to jump out of an aeroplane without a parachute just because Messrs Gove, Farage, Johnson and others said that it would be alright on the night.

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

Seeing as Cameron and Osborne acted with extreme negligence and never put a government plan in place for Brexit, it is left to Theresa May and the new government to do this now. This will understandably take time. A plan needs to be formed in advance so Britain can get the best deal from our exit from the EU, and a negotiating strategy needs to be worked out. David Davis and the Brexit department of government need to put in place the best staff and the best negotiators for Britain. People with extensive knowledge of trade deals need to be recruited and hired by the government first. It would be foolhardy to rush into anything without having all of the above in place first. Theresa May says Brexit means Brexit, I am willing to give her time to make sure everything is in place before article 50 is triggered. It will be done some time during 2017, and our exit from the EU should be complete before the end of 2019.

As Hollande said today, delaying invoking article 50 is damaging EU economies so by the time we do they will be so desperate they will agree to give us pretty much anything we ask for

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

"As Hollande said today, delaying invoking article 50 is damaging EU economies so by the time we do they will be so desperate they will agree to give us pretty much anything we ask for "

He is getting his excuses in for the crap performance of the french economy early

"As Hollande said today, delaying invoking article 50 is damaging EU economies so by the time we do they will be so desperate they will agree to give us pretty much anything we ask for

He is getting his excuses in for the crap performance of the french economy early "

mmmm fair point

"Is this the start of procrastination.

Unlike many of the reality deniers who voted for Brexit, our Prime Minister is not going to jump out of an aeroplane without a parachute just because Messrs Gove, Farage, Johnson and others said that it would be alright on the night.

"

One of the biggest reasons why I didn't vote leave, despite the fact that there were some credible reasons for doing so is that the vote was to leave the EU - there was not a manifesto of what we were actually voting for, outside of leaving.

As you said, you don't jump out of a plane without a parachute.

"Seeing as Cameron and Osborne acted with extreme negligence and never put a government plan in place for Brexit, it is left to Theresa May and the new government to do this now. This will understandably take time. A plan needs to be formed in advance so Britain can get the best deal from our exit from the EU, and a negotiating strategy needs to be worked out. David Davis and the Brexit department of government need to put in place the best staff and the best negotiators for Britain. People with extensive knowledge of trade deals need to be recruited and hired by the government first. It would be foolhardy to rush into anything without having all of the above in place first. Theresa May says Brexit means Brexit, I am willing to give her time to make sure everything is in place before article 50 is triggered. It will be done some time during 2017, and our exit from the EU should be complete before the end of 2019. "

I never thought I'd argue to support Osborne or Cameron, but arguably it's not their issue. They wanted us to remain, and cameron stepped down because he felt as though his leadership was no longer appropriate. After all those who really were hard and devoted out campaigners wanted a Brexit government or at least PM.

Yes, there should have a plan for Brexit, but arguably that should have been sorted out by the MP's and MEP's who wanted us out the moment it was announced there would be a referendum.

Then people would have been voting for a 'Brexit' rather than just leaving the EU.

Not looking to start an argument, it just seemed that the first chuck of this was a little out of place considering how level headed the rest of the comment was.

Cannock

"Seeing as Cameron and Osborne acted with extreme negligence and never put a government plan in place for Brexit, it is left to Theresa May and the new government to do this now. This will understandably take time. A plan needs to be formed in advance so Britain can get the best deal from our exit from the EU, and a negotiating strategy needs to be worked out. David Davis and the Brexit department of government need to put in place the best staff and the best negotiators for Britain. People with extensive knowledge of trade deals need to be recruited and hired by the government first. It would be foolhardy to rush into anything without having all of the above in place first. Theresa May says Brexit means Brexit, I am willing to give her time to make sure everything is in place before article 50 is triggered. It will be done some time during 2017, and our exit from the EU should be complete before the end of 2019.

I never thought I'd argue to support Osborne or Cameron, but arguably it's not their issue. They wanted us to remain, and cameron stepped down because he felt as though his leadership was no longer appropriate. After all those who really were hard and devoted out campaigners wanted a Brexit government or at least PM.

Yes, there should have a plan for Brexit, but arguably that should have been sorted out by the MP's and MEP's who wanted us out the moment it was announced there would be a referendum.

Then people would have been voting for a 'Brexit' rather than just leaving the EU.

Not looking to start an argument, it just seemed that the first chuck of this was a little out of place considering how level headed the rest of the comment was."

The job of government in the event of a referendum should be to put in place a plan for both possible outcomes. Cameron and Osborne never put a plan in place for brexit, they only had a plan for Remain which was extreme negligence in my view. Mark Carney at the Bank of England had a plan for Remain and he also had a contingency plan in place for Brexit. I'm no fan of Carney after the way he behaved during the referendum campaign but at least he did his job properly and he had a plan for both outcomes. Cameron's incompetence is unforgivable.

"Seeing as Cameron and Osborne acted with extreme negligence and never put a government plan in place for Brexit, it is left to Theresa May and the new government to do this now. This will understandably take time. A plan needs to be formed in advance so Britain can get the best deal from our exit from the EU, and a negotiating strategy needs to be worked out. David Davis and the Brexit department of government need to put in place the best staff and the best negotiators for Britain. People with extensive knowledge of trade deals need to be recruited and hired by the government first. It would be foolhardy to rush into anything without having all of the above in place first. Theresa May says Brexit means Brexit, I am willing to give her time to make sure everything is in place before article 50 is triggered. It will be done some time during 2017, and our exit from the EU should be complete before the end of 2019.

Not looking to start an argument, it just seemed that the first chuck of this was a little out of place considering how level headed the rest of the comment was.

The job of government in the event of a referendum should be to put in place a plan for both possible outcomes. Cameron and Osborne never put a plan in place for brexit, they only had a plan for Remain which was extreme negligence in my view. Mark Carney at the Bank of England had a plan for Remain and he also had a contingency plan in place for Brexit. I'm no fan of Carney after the way he behaved during the referendum campaign but at least he did his job properly and he had a plan for both outcomes. Cameron's incompetence is unforgivable. "

I see your point but at the same point it is, as you said the job of government, and the PM is not the government in itself. Surely, given that there were people such as Johnson, Farage ect who had stated they wanted us to leave, they should have taken the members of government to create their own post-Britain Brexit plan.

Or am I being to nit picky? :P

Cannock

One of the biggest reasons why I didn't vote leave, despite the fact that there were some credible reasons for doing so is that the vote was to leave the EU - there was not a manifesto of what we were actually voting for, outside of leaving.

As you said, you don't jump out of a plane without a parachute."

There was a manifesto of sorts for brexit which the vote leave campaign had clearly outlined. Vote Leave put forward a number of proposals which they said the government should implement in the event of Brexit, such as....

Take back control of our borders and implement an Australian style points based immigration system.

Take back control of our annual EU membership fee and spend the extra cash on the NHS and other public services.

Reduce VAT on household energy bills which the EU prevents us from doing so.

Take back control of our territorial fishing waters from the EU.

moston

"She said from the start it wouldn't be trigged until early next year? "

Actually prior to the referendum the only person to say when article 50 would be triggered was caMoron who said he would immediately trigger article 50 if we voted out, he also said he would stay in office and negotiate our exit.

He lied!

By *ouple1000Couple  over a year ago

manchester

"Seeing as Cameron and Osborne acted with extreme negligence and never put a government plan in place for Brexit, it is left to Theresa May and the new government to do this now. This will understandably take time. A plan needs to be formed in advance so Britain can get the best deal from our exit from the EU, and a negotiating strategy needs to be worked out. David Davis and the Brexit department of government need to put in place the best staff and the best negotiators for Britain. People with extensive knowledge of trade deals need to be recruited and hired by the government first. It would be foolhardy to rush into anything without having all of the above in place first. Theresa May says Brexit means Brexit, I am willing to give her time to make sure everything is in place before article 50 is triggered. It will be done some time during 2017, and our exit from the EU should be complete before the end of 2019. "

Possibly the most sensible statement I have seen since Brexit good work

By *ouple1000Couple  over a year ago

manchester

The job of government in the event of a referendum should be to put in place a plan for both possible outcomes. Cameron and Osborne never put a plan in place for brexit, they only had a plan for Remain which was extreme negligence in my view. Mark Carney at the Bank of England had a plan for Remain and he also had a contingency plan in place for Brexit. I'm no fan of Carney after the way he behaved during the referendum campaign but at least he did his job properly and he had a plan for both outcomes. Cameron's incompetence is unforgivable. "

And again

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

There was a manifesto of sorts for brexit which the vote leave campaign had clearly outlined. Vote Leave put forward a number of proposals which they said the government should implement in the event of Brexit, such as....

Take back control of our borders and implement an Australian style points based immigration system.

Take back control of our annual EU membership fee and spend the extra cash on the NHS and other public services.

"

That wasn't a manifesto, it was a set of electioneering soundbites.

dissatisfied

"

Key word was SHOULD just like their key word on spending on the NHS COULD ..the leave campaign was bollocks just telling the voter enough to gain a vote ..dont expect anything from out except out ...anything after is a new deal nothing to do with the referendum ...

By *isandreTV/TS  over a year ago

Hartlepool

'Cameron and Osborne acted with extreme negligence and never put a government plan in place for Brexit'

Indeed. Of course his biggest negligence was having a referendum in the first place.

But while we are talking about plans and negligence, why the hell haven't the Brexiteers got a ready made plan all set to go?

Farage and co have been banging on about it for a decade.

The only thing more amazing is the fact the 52% of the country have voted for ...erm...don't know what, it could be better but it could be a disaster.

'David Davis and the Brexit department of government need to put in place the best staff and the best negotiators for Britain. '

Yep. Except we haven't got any (20-25 tops). Plus the lead negotiator, Mr Davis, thought in May that if the UK left it would be able to do individual deals with individual industries in individual EU countries.

Here is what he said

“Post Brexit a UK-German deal would include free access for their cars and industrial goods, in exchange for a deal on everything else,” he said on 26 May this year.

“Similar deals would be reached with other key EU nations. France would want to protect £3 billion of food and wine exports. Italy, its £1 billion fashion exports. Poland its £3 billion manufacturing exports.”

OMFG!

This is at the same time his sides big gripe was that being part of the EU meant we couldn't negotiate our own UK deals! What a cunt.

This is the level of knowledge, intelligence and expertise the very best of the Brexit campaign had to offer (luckily for them they were better a bullshit and promoting bullshit to win over the hard of thinking)!

Therefore, do you really have faith they will come up with a strategy that

a) has a chance of success

or if it does

b) be anything like the promises made and therefore retain popular support?

Therefore

c) Any responsible PM will say 'fuck that, I'm not inflicting that pile of shite on the British public. We're not leaving.'

'and our exit from the EU should be complete before the end of 2019.'

And then just 7-12 years of hard slog shitty deals to replace it, after which we can start to look properly at deals with everywhere else.

Hartlepool

Apologies for the Maths error

I said 52% of the country voted for..erm...don't know what.

I should have said 37.47%.

"Apologies for the Maths error

I said 52% of the country voted for..erm...don't know what.

I should have said 37.47%."

No, 37.4% voted for a better future you just don't get it

We are leaving and that is that

dissatisfied

"'Cameron and Osborne acted with extreme negligence and never put a government plan in place for Brexit'

Indeed. Of course his biggest negligence was having a referendum in the first place.

But while we are talking about plans and negligence, why the hell haven't the Brexiteers got a ready made plan all set to go?

Farage and co have been banging on about it for a decade.

The only thing more amazing is the fact the 52% of the country have voted for ...erm...don't know what, it could be better but it could be a disaster.

'David Davis and the Brexit department of government need to put in place the best staff and the best negotiators for Britain. '

Yep. Except we haven't got any (20-25 tops). Plus the lead negotiator, Mr Davis, thought in May that if the UK left it would be able to do individual deals with individual industries in individual EU countries.

Here is what he said

“Post Brexit a UK-German deal would include free access for their cars and industrial goods, in exchange for a deal on everything else,” he said on 26 May this year.

“Similar deals would be reached with other key EU nations. France would want to protect £3 billion of food and wine exports. Italy, its £1 billion fashion exports. Poland its £3 billion manufacturing exports.”

OMFG!

This is at the same time his sides big gripe was that being part of the EU meant we couldn't negotiate our own UK deals! What a cunt.

This is the level of knowledge, intelligence and expertise the very best of the Brexit campaign had to offer (luckily for them they were better a bullshit and promoting bullshit to win over the hard of thinking)!

Therefore, do you really have faith they will come up with a strategy that

a) has a chance of success

or if it does

b) be anything like the promises made and therefore retain popular support?

Therefore

c) Any responsible PM will say 'fuck that, I'm not inflicting that pile of shite on the British public. We're not leaving.'

'and our exit from the EU should be complete before the end of 2019.'

And then just 7-12 years of hard slog shitty deals to replace it, after which we can start to look properly at deals with everywhere else.

"

Hartlepool

At best you could say 37.47% voted for the promise or hope of a better future, but actually they were really voting dissatisfaction with the current position, which they believed/had been told for years was because of Brussels.

How many people do the National Lottery every week?

Cannock

"We are leaving and that is that "

Hartlepool

You think your team of crack negotiators will deliver?

"Is this the start of procrastination."

It's called putting all you ducks in a row.

It's what sensible business leaders do before negotiating any big deal. Looks like we got the right PM on that basis alone.

dissatisfied

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/why-its-time-to-accept-the-fact-that-brexit-may-never-actually-happen-a7148816.html

Interesting read .....

"http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/why-its-time-to-accept-the-fact-that-brexit-may-never-actually-happen-a7148816.html

Interesting read ....."

no, pointless read

dissatisfied

"http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/why-its-time-to-accept-the-fact-that-brexit-may-never-actually-happen-a7148816.html

Interesting read .....

no, pointless read"

Oh well .. The referendum wasn't legally binding .and its it going through court at the moment to show it doesn't give the pm carte blanche to invoke article 50 without parliaments concent..so its a wait and see game ...

Interesting read .....

no, pointless read"

Why do you shut down any debate with a put down?

We are leaving. It is still highly relevant and fair for people to discuss what is happening. Everything that happens until we leave is up for discussion.

I realise that views are polarised but the pointless I'm right, you're wrong level of debate does nothing to bring understanding to either side of the debate.

And I'm being generous calling it debate.

By *tillup4funMan  over a year ago

Wakefield

Interesting read ....."

You honestly think 17 million voters will just say "Oh ok Ms May if you don't want to invoke Article 50 its ok." Think again.

"She said from the start it wouldn't be trigged until early next year? "

It was never going to be triggered any sooner....no matter what. It is one thing we have total control over. Merkel doesn't expect it any time soon....only Hollande is pushing for it...and he is a total wanker!

dissatisfied

Interesting read .....

You honestly think 17 million voters will just say "Oh ok Ms May if you don't want to invoke Article 50 its ok." Think again. "

Wow you do have blind faith in the British government ..i think the British government will do as they do and put enough political spin it to make it seem palatable to the majority that's the 17 million and the 15 million ..

Interesting read .....

no, pointless read

Oh well .. The referendum wasn't legally binding .and its it going through court at the moment to show it doesn't give the pm carte blanche to invoke article 50 without parliaments concent..so its a wait and see game ..."

You keep saying it isn't legally binding.....but no-one has shown me that. And I've been unable to find any evidence of your statement.

It was a referendum where everyone eligible was able to vote. We voted out. We may not all like that...but that's a fact. No matter how often you deny it from your cozy little hideaway....it won't alter the result.

Wakefield

Interesting read .....

You honestly think 17 million voters will just say "Oh ok Ms May if you don't want to invoke Article 50 its ok." Think again.

Wow you do have blind faith in the British government ..i think the British government will do as they do and put enough political spin it to make it seem palatable to the majority that's the 17 million and the 15 million .."

No I have faith in British people not to let people like you sour the milk.

Interesting read .....

no, pointless read

Oh well .. The referendum wasn't legally binding .and its it going through court at the moment to show it doesn't give the pm carte blanche to invoke article 50 without parliaments concent..so its a wait and see game ...

You keep saying it isn't legally binding.....but no-one has shown me that. And I've been unable to find any evidence of your statement.

It was a referendum where everyone eligible was able to vote. We voted out. We may not all like that...but that's a fact. No matter how often you deny it from your cozy little hideaway....it won't alter the result."

A referendum is a straw poll. It is up to the government of the day to ratify it and effect the change voted on. Technically, it should go to a vote in Parliament to become legally binding. That will probably happen once we have a Brexit plan that Parliament can vote on.

dissatisfied

Interesting read .....

Wow you do have blind faith in the British government ..i think the British government will do as they do and put enough political spin it to make it seem palatable to the majority that's the 17 million and the 15 million ..

No I have faith in British people not to let people like you sour the milk. "

Wake up and smell the coffee the government and big business run the country not people like you .....

dissatisfied

Interesting read .....

no, pointless read

It was a referendum where everyone eligible was able to vote. We voted out. We may not all like that...but that's a fact. No matter how often you deny it from your cozy little hideaway....it won't alter the result."

Read this

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/23/eu-referendum-legally-binding-brexit-lisbon-cameron-sovereign-parliament

Wakefield

Interesting read .....

Wake up and smell the coffee the government and big business run the country not people like you ....."

True but people like me vote for which government run the country and if they don't do what we want we vote them out and they know it.

Interesting read .....

Wake up and smell the coffee the government and big business run the country not people like you ....."

And being the equal opportunities critic that I am... your barbs don't help to foster open debate.

Wakefield

Interesting read .....

no, pointless read

It was a referendum where everyone eligible was able to vote. We voted out. We may not all like that...but that's a fact. No matter how often you deny it from your cozy little hideaway....it won't alter the result.

Read this

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/23/eu-referendum-legally-binding-brexit-lisbon-cameron-sovereign-parliament"

I don't have to read that you and people with a similar view just cant accept we are leaving the EU get over it.

Interesting read .....

no, pointless read

A referendum is a straw poll. It is up to the government of the day to ratify it and effect the change voted on. Technically, it should go to a vote in Parliament to become legally binding. That will probably happen once we have a Brexit plan that Parliament can vote on.

"

Lets not forget that in this age of 'enlightened' British democracy parliament should probably put the brexit deal to a public vote prior to Parliament to see if a majority agree with it or not.

Interesting read .....

no, pointless read

Read this

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/23/eu-referendum-legally-binding-brexit-lisbon-cameron-sovereign-parliament

I don't have to read that you and people with a similar view just cant accept we are leaving the EU get over it. "

So you are not happy to read other peoples view points, and in this case legally binding agreements, simply because you feel as though we cannot get over it - when a lot of people are just more pessimistic as saying, yeah this is fucking complicated, lets not be irrational.

Wakefield

Interesting read .....

no, pointless read

Lets not forget that in this age of 'enlightened' British democracy parliament should probably put the brexit deal to a public vote prior to Parliament to see if a majority agree with it or not."

We did that last month it was called a referendum how many votes do we have to have, Mr Cameron said it would be a once on a life tome vote incase you have forgotten.

Interesting read .....

Wake up and smell the coffee the government and big business run the country not people like you .....

True but people like me vote for which government run the country and if they don't do what we want we vote them out and they know it. "

Not really you vote for your MP in support of a party.

And we are still in a two party system - albeit a failing one.

So when you vote you are realistically voting in protest of two large parties, or in favour of one of two parties. We don't vote people out, if the party which represents you isn't representing enough people so that the vote turn out is low for them, then voters simply allow the opposing party an easier route to getting someone into number 10.

I wish we could vote politicians and parties out.

By *lik and PaulCouple  over a year ago

Flagrante

Regardless of what we are told, as with any negotiations, there will be the public statements with both sides squaring up, and behind the scenes things will already be happening so that when article 50 is invoked the work will already have started.

Wakefield

Interesting read .....

no, pointless read

Read this

I don't have to read that you and people with a similar view just cant accept we are leaving the EU get over it.

So you are not happy to read other peoples view points, and in this case legally binding agreements, simply because you feel as though we cannot get over it - when a lot of people are just more pessimistic as saying, yeah this is fucking complicated, lets not be irrational."

So are saying 17 million people voted irrationally we had a vote the leave camp won what we should be talking about is what Britain wants now and how best to get it not keep going on about its not a legal vote.

Interesting read .....

no, pointless read

Lets not forget that in this age of 'enlightened' British democracy parliament should probably put the brexit deal to a public vote prior to Parliament to see if a majority agree with it or not.

We did that last month it was called a referendum how many votes do we have to have, Mr Cameron said it would be a once on a life tome vote incase you have forgotten. "

So we leave the EU and the chosen position is one of the deals others have where they pay in, have free movement and a trade deal but not a vote. Is that a deal you would be happy about? Or, might you think you want some say in that?

WE are leaving, whether we voted for it or not. The stance that 17m can't be wrong always smacks of 15m were wrong. It's not that simple and there really was no right or wrong, just different opinions about how we operate in the world.

As soon as people actually start looking at the issues and debating what the future could be instead of slinging comments of 'get over it it, we won' or 'you got it wrong and we need to do it again' we might get somewhere.

Interesting read .....

no, pointless read

We did that last month it was called a referendum how many votes do we have to have, Mr Cameron said it would be a once on a life tome vote incase you have forgotten. "

If you read the question on the ballot paper it was do we want to be in the EU, yes or no?

That is not the same as voting on a ratified Brexit deal. I can accept that a slim majority want us out, however, that majority should be willing to accept that a lot of people will want to vote on the ratified Brexit deal. eg, do we have a Norwegian model, or will ours be different given our population is vastly greater than that of Norway. Do we have access to the single market, what about EU and British expats respectively.

Or are public referendums on issues only suitable when they don't complicate your ideals?

Interesting read .....

no, pointless read

Read this

So you are not happy to read other peoples view points, and in this case legally binding agreements, simply because you feel as though we cannot get over it - when a lot of people are just more pessimistic as saying, yeah this is fucking complicated, lets not be irrational.

So are saying 17 million people voted irrationally we had a vote the leave camp won what we should be talking about is what Britain wants now and how best to get it not keep going on about its not a legal vote. "

See my post above on legality. The referendum was legal as referendum.

Interesting read .....

no, pointless read

We did that last month it was called a referendum how many votes do we have to have, Mr Cameron said it would be a once on a life tome vote incase you have forgotten.

So we leave the EU and the chosen position is one of the deals others have where they pay in, have free movement and a trade deal but not a vote. Is that a deal you would be happy about? Or, might you think you want some say in that?

WE are leaving, whether we voted for it or not. The stance that 17m can't be wrong always smacks of 15m were wrong. It's not that simple and there really was no right or wrong, just different opinions about how we operate in the world.

As soon as people actually start looking at the issues and debating what the future could be instead of slinging comments of 'get over it it, we won' or 'you got it wrong and we need to do it again' we might get somewhere.

"

Precisely. In the scenario you laid out some people might be happy to say we are happy with this deal. However they have to understand others may not.

Then the process has to go back like for a building planning application. The government can either try to get another deal, or say, right we will stick with the EU then - it'd be unpopular, but lets face it, if the honest, best possible deal is reached, then vetoed by a public vote, what choice is there?

dissatisfied

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/19/government-awaits-first-legal-opposition-to-brexit-in-high-court?CMP=share_btn_fb

October could be interesting

Wakefield

Interesting read .....

no, pointless read

If you read the question on the ballot paper it was do we want to be in the EU, yes or no?

That is not the same as voting on a ratified Brexit deal. I can accept that a slim majority want us out, however, that majority should be willing to accept that a lot of people will want to vote on the ratified Brexit deal. eg, do we have a Norwegian model, or will ours be different given our population is vastly greater than that of Norway. Do we have access to the single market, what about EU and British expats respectively.

Or are public referendums on issues only suitable when they don't complicate your ideals?"

I thought that's what the Government were paid for if we have a public vote on everything like this we have one a week.

Interesting read .....

no, pointless read

Read this

So are saying 17 million people voted irrationally we had a vote the leave camp won what we should be talking about is what Britain wants now and how best to get it not keep going on about its not a legal vote. "

No I am not saying that and you sodding well know it - don't try and spin words. If had meant that, I would have put that.

Also, no, a fundamental part of British society is that we uphold the rule of law. The legality of anything is a complex and important issue. Was British law not a pivotal part of the leave campaign after all?

So in short, the quicker you accept there is no legally binding commitment between this referendum and the actions of government, and that it was an advisory referendum from the British public to the government, the quicker we can put it behind us and look towards what British society, institutions and businesses require the government to guarantee us in a Brexit Britain.

Interesting read .....

no, pointless read

Or are public referendums on issues only suitable when they don't complicate your ideals?

I thought that's what the Government were paid for if we have a public vote on everything like this we have one a

week. "

What is the government paid for comment in response to, exactly?

And arguably, the leave camp were advocating for greater British democracy, and local decision making. In my opinion part of that should be more key policies put to public vote - especially since the Brexit deal will determine in many peoples eyes, whether leaving the EU is economically viable/worth it or not.

So really you should be up for the challenge, if you think the UK is better out of the EU you should shy away from a yes or no vote on the legally binding policy making and trade deal of a non-EU Britain.

Or are you a wee bit scared of public democracy when the issue really comes down to the boiling point.

"http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/19/government-awaits-first-legal-opposition-to-brexit-in-high-court?CMP=share_btn_fb

October could be interesting "

I wonder how long she'll last as PM.

Wakefield

Interesting read .....

no, pointless read

Read this

So are saying 17 million people voted irrationally we had a vote the leave camp won what we should be talking about is what Britain wants now and how best to get it not keep going on about its not a legal vote.

No I am not saying that and you sodding well know it - don't try and spin words. If had meant that, I would have put that.

Also, no, a fundamental part of British society is that we uphold the rule of law. The legality of anything is a complex and important issue. Was British law not a pivotal part of the leave campaign after all?

So in short, the quicker you accept there is no legally binding commitment between this referendum and the actions of government, and that it was an advisory referendum from the British public to the government, the quicker we can put it behind us and look towards what British society, institutions and businesses require the government to guarantee us in a Brexit Britain."

Tell that to those that want to Remain those that of us that want to leave have accepted it.

Wakefield

Interesting read .....

no, pointless read

I thought that's what the Government were paid for if we have a public vote on everything like this we have one a

week.

And arguably, the leave camp were advocating for greater British democracy, and local decision making. In my opinion part of that should be more key policies put to public vote - especially since the Brexit deal will determine in many peoples eyes, whether leaving the EU is economically viable/worth it or not.

So really you should be up for the challenge, if you think the UK is better out of the EU you should shy away from a yes or no vote on the legally binding policy making and trade deal of a non-EU Britain.

Or are you a wee bit scared of public democracy when the issue really comes down to the boiling point."

Well lets just wait and see what happens then.

Interesting read .....

no, pointless read

Read this

So in short, the quicker you accept there is no legally binding commitment between this referendum and the actions of government, and that it was an advisory referendum from the British public to the government, the quicker we can put it behind us and look towards what British society, institutions and businesses require the government to guarantee us in a Brexit Britain.

Tell that to those that want to Remain those that of us that want to leave have accepted it. "

Yet it is leavers who tend to have an attitude which is usually along the lines of, 'we won, you lost,so now you can just accept it and get on with it, but whilst we are at it we will kick up a fuss whenever someone points out if the government wants, it can ignore the results of the referendum completely legally.'

Cannock

Interesting read .....

no, pointless read

week.

Or are you a wee bit scared of public democracy when the issue really comes down to the boiling point."

There were issues surrounding the legality of the Iraq war, Tony Blair was Prime Minister at the time and made the decision to go ahead anyway. You really are grabbing at straws if you think a court process will stop us from leaving the EU.

Cannock

Interesting read .....

no, pointless read

Read this

Tell that to those that want to Remain those that of us that want to leave have accepted it.

Yet it is leavers who tend to have an attitude which is usually along the lines of, 'we won, you lost,so now you can just accept it and get on with it, but whilst we are at it we will kick up a fuss whenever someone points out if the government wants, it can ignore the results of the referendum completely legally.'"

....and any politician who does so will give a clear signal to all that is the end of their political career going against the result of the referendum.

Cannock

"http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/19/government-awaits-first-legal-opposition-to-brexit-in-high-court?CMP=share_btn_fb

October could be interesting

I wonder how long she'll last as PM."

....longer than Jeremy Corbyn will be leader of the labour party or longer than he can hold the party together before it splits. Theresa May will be PM until at least 2020, then with Labour in such a mess she will be elected again until 2025.

Hartlepool

There is a difference between Iraq and the Lisbon treaty.

Constitutionally it was always the decision of the PM alone whether to take us to war. Therefore there was no legal challenge that could be made.

Blair made a promise, perhaps it has been precedent setting, to put the Iraq decision to a vote in parliament. He did so because of the huge opposition in the country. Remember stop the war had a million take to the streets and a large number of labour mp's voted against the war. Many more were undecided but trusted the PM's reports of security briefings.

Whereas a court can rule on whether a treaty has been breeched.

Hartlepool

I suppose I should add that there was a legal challenge to stop the war but that was on the basis that it breeched international rules as to the legality of the war, not on the right of the PM to do it.

If the establishment had the bottle at the time, though time was clearly a factor, it now looks like the stop the war coalition would have won the case.

Hopefully there will still be a trial.

As for brexit, a legal challenge could not be brushed aside so easily. Indeed if the government act illegally they could well be taken to court - European court.

Cannock

"I suppose I should add that there was a legal challenge to stop the war but that was on the basis that it breeched international rules as to the legality of the war, not on the right of the PM to do it.

If the establishment had the bottle at the time, though time was clearly a factor, it now looks like the stop the war coalition would have won the case.

Hopefully there will still be a trial.

As for brexit, a legal challenge could not be brushed aside so easily. Indeed if the government act illegally they could well be taken to court - European court. "

Hunger from a majority of the public to leave the EU has now been unleashed and it cannot be reversed. This jeanie will not be put back in its bottle. Theresa May will be committing political and career suicide if she fails to deliver Brexit.

Hartlepool

37.4% isn't a majority.

The hunger for many was for unrestricted access to the single market AND restriction on immigration AND spend £350m a week.

It will be significantly less when that doesn't materialise.

Cannock

"37.4% isn't a majority.

The hunger for many was for unrestricted access to the single market AND restriction on immigration AND spend £350m a week.

It will be significantly less when that doesn't materialise. "

Just sounds like more sour grapes from you, It was a 52% win for Leave from a 72% turnout. The biggest turnout for any election since 1992. Cameron even kept the registration date open for an extra 2 days so people could register to vote before the deadline. As George Galloway said on the last edition of Question Time more people voted to leave the EU (17 and a half million of them) than have ever voted for anything else ever in the history of UK elections.

Wakefield

"37.4% isn't a majority.

51.9% of the people that voted is a majority those that did,nt vote either could,nt be bothered or did,nt care which way the result went. We were all told many times how important the vote was over 2 months before the vote and there was an extra 48 hours for people to register so no excuse as far as I can see.

Wakefield

"37.4% isn't a majority.

Just sounds like more sour grapes from you, It was a 52% win for Leave from a 72% turnout. The biggest turnout for any election since 1992. Cameron even kept the registration date open for an extra 2 days so people could register to vote before the deadline. As George Galloway said on the last edition of Question Time more people voted to leave the EU (17 and a half million of them) than have ever voted for anything else ever in the history of UK elections. "

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

That wasn't a manifesto, it was a set of electioneering soundbites.

"

As are all manifestos, to be honest.

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

"37.4% isn't a majority.

Or, you could say that 28% of people didn't vote, and as such were happy with whichever way the vote went. Therefore, effectively, 66% voted for Brexit.

Wow... now there's a majority.

"37.4% isn't a majority.

no it won't, it will be significantly more if democracy is seen to fail and I'm sure a lot who voted to remain are now thinking what the hell was I worried about, I'm quite excited about and looking forward to Brexit.

The people have spoken and Brexit will be delivered. Anything else would cause civil unrest and violence never before witnessed in this country.

North West

[Removed by poster at 22/07/16 07:19:41]

North West

"37.4% isn't a majority.

no it won't, it will be significantly more if democracy is seen to fail and I'm sure a lot who voted to remain are now thinking what the hell was I worried about, I'm quite excited about and looking forward to Brexit.

The people have spoken and Brexit will be delivered. Anything else would cause civil unrest and violence never before witnessed in this country. "

Hang on a minute. 48% votes because they thought that their futures would be better with the UK in the EU and who wanted to retain their EU citizenship. You say that those people now just have to shut up and accept the result even though it was a result engineered through the misuse of criminal lying on an industrial scale. Yet you also say that unless the 52% get everything that they want and nothing less there will be riots????

We are talking about a 4% difference that has effectively split the country in two. The country will only be stabilised by compromises all round. Threatening civil unrest and riots if you don't get your own way whilst demanding that others just shut up when they don't get their own way is hardly appropriate. Unless of course that is what you mean by taking back control.

"37.4% isn't a majority.

The people have spoken and Brexit will be delivered. Anything else would cause civil unrest and violence never before witnessed in this country.

Hang on a minute. 48% votes because they thought that their futures would be better with the UK in the EU and who wanted to retain their EU citizenship. You say that those people now just have to shut up and accept the result even though it was a result engineered through the misuse of criminal lying on an industrial scale. Yet you also say that unless the 52% get everything that they want and nothing less there will be riots????

We are talking about a 4% difference that has effectively split the country in two. The country will only be stabilised by compromises all round. Threatening civil unrest and riots if you don't get your own way whilst demanding that others just shut up when they don't get their own way is hardly appropriate. Unless of course that is what you mean by taking back control."

I'm not threatening it, I'm just telling you what would happen. A 4% difference was almost one and a half million people so the vote wasn't even close and I'm certain a lot who voted to remain would change sides in support of democracy and fair play. You go on about lies? The leave campaign was full of lies, in fact the EU is one big lie.

So tell me, why were these legal challenges about the PM/Government being able to invoke article 50 not put forward before the referendum?

Everyone needs to calm down, have a cup of coffee, sit back and enjoy the ride

moston

Personally I think it will be May 2018 at the earliest before article 50 is triggered. I believe that the Tories know that exit from the EU is an election loser (they will not be able to satisfy both business and the brexiteers) so May will hold off until she is sure it will be the next (Labour) government is in power when the true effects of internal Tory EU politics take hold.

Call me cynical, but that is their history.

"Personally I think it will be May 2018 at the earliest before article 50 is triggered. I believe that the Tories know that exit from the EU is an election loser (they will not be able to satisfy both business and the brexiteers) so May will hold off until she is sure it will be the next (Labour) government is in power when the true effects of internal Tory EU politics take hold.

Call me cynical, but that is their history. "

there will never be another Labour government in power though, so that argument is kinda defunct

well said and straight to the point

moston

"there will never be another Labour government in power though, so that argument is kinda defunct "

If you are correct and the Tories have so sown up politics that all we are ever going to know is right wing governments increasingly passing the wealth of the nation to a few hyper-rich while forcing the majority further and further into poverty then I predict that within 20 years there will be a revolution and that those you seem to admire so much will be either be torn apart by the mob, swinging from whatever is handy to string them up on or fleeing the country.

North West

"37.4% isn't a majority.

We are talking about a 4% difference that has effectively split the country in two. The country will only be stabilised by compromises all round. Threatening civil unrest and riots if you don't get your own way whilst demanding that others just shut up when they don't get their own way is hardly appropriate. Unless of course that is what you mean by taking back control.

I'm not threatening it, I'm just telling you what would happen. A 4% difference was almost one and a half million people so the vote wasn't even close and I'm certain a lot who voted to remain would change sides in support of democracy and fair play. You go on about lies? The leave campaign was full of lies, in fact the EU is one big lie.

So tell me, why were these legal challenges about the PM/Government being able to invoke article 50 not put forward before the referendum?"

I predicted a long time ago that there would be a narrow Leave win and that Cameron would walk as a result. I also predicted and stand by the same prediction that the UK would not leave the EU and that the Leave / Stay question would ultimately come to a polarised general election.

Leaving the EU will be too expensive and no PM will walk the UK into a catastrophic economic meltdown without a further mandate. The Leave policy was "it will be alright on the night." If it will, all fair and good but there is hardly anyone in the world with any economic credibility who believes that it will be. Therefore a further mana date will have tone sought unless PM May wants to down in history as our most incompetent PM ever.

The vote was cast and the result was leave, end of!

"there will never be another Labour government in power though, so that argument is kinda defunct

If you are correct and the Tories have so sown up politics that all we are ever going to know is right wing governments increasingly passing the wealth of the nation to a few hyper-rich while forcing the majority further and further into poverty then I predict that within 20 years there will be a revolution and that those you seem to admire so much will be either be torn apart by the mob, swinging from whatever is handy to string them up on or fleeing the country."

This is simply down to Labour themselves.

There is not one strong person within that can forward themselves as leader.

Everyone likes and needs a strong leader, Ed Miliband was not and this was the beginning of their down fall.

Until they can get a strong leader in place people will continue to walk away from them.

Sadly not one of them can recognise this, they are all so far up there own important arses to recognise what the public want and need.

North West

"The vote was cast and the result was leave, end of!"

Doubt it

dissatisfied

"The vote was cast and the result was leave, end of!

Doubt it"

that's just the latest brexit myth ...

Doubt it that's just the latest brexit myth ..."

do you have to be proven wrong twice

first you thought there would never be a leave vote:- wrong

Now you think there will be a sideways step and we will not leave the EU, you do not believe The vote was cast and the result was leave, end off: again you will be proven wrong

dissatisfied

Doubt it that's just the latest brexit myth ...

Now you think there will be a sideways step and we will not leave the EU, you do not believe The vote was cast and the result was leave, end off: again you will be proven wrong"

think you should read the forums if you bothered to read the one predicting which way the vote would go I posted 51 .49 in favour if leave .not that I agreed with leaving and the one on a new pm I posted watch out for may before even the candidates were announced ...go back and troll through posts before posting lies ....

Doubt it"

LoL

"37.4% isn't a majority.

So tell me, why were these legal challenges about the PM/Government being able to invoke article 50 not put forward before the referendum?

I predicted a long time ago that there would be a narrow Leave win and that Cameron would walk as a result. I also predicted and stand by the same prediction that the UK would not leave the EU and that the Leave / Stay question would ultimately come to a polarised general election.

Leaving the EU will be too expensive and no PM will walk the UK into a catastrophic economic meltdown without a further mandate. The Leave policy was "it will be alright on the night." If it will, all fair and good but there is hardly anyone in the world with any economic credibility who believes that it will be. Therefore a further mana date will have tone sought unless PM May wants to down in history as our most incompetent PM ever."

Leaving will be economically advantageous, are you blind? These people with economic credibility of whom you speak, are they the ones who predicted economic meltdown and recession etc etc after a vote to leave? Or are you saying they were lying all along?

And you didn't answer my question

Doubt it that's just the latest brexit myth ...

Now you think there will be a sideways step and we will not leave the EU, you do not believe The vote was cast and the result was leave, end off: again you will be proven wrong"

just going of what you quoted above, or did someone log on for you

"37.4% isn't a majority.

Leaving the EU will be too expensive and no PM will walk the UK into a catastrophic economic meltdown without a further mandate. The Leave policy was "it will be alright on the night." If it will, all fair and good but there is hardly anyone in the world with any economic credibility who believes that it will be. Therefore a further mana date will have tone sought unless PM May wants to down in history as our most incompetent PM ever.

Leaving will be economically advantageous, are you blind? These people with economic credibility of whom you speak, are they the ones who predicted economic meltdown and recession etc etc after a vote to leave? Or are you saying they were lying all along?"

What was predicted was economic uncertainty after the VOTE and then a once we LEAVE a recession or further economic issues.

I really get frustrated when people think that because in the last month we haven't descended in to chaos that it was the right choice.

1) we haven't left the EU yet. At all. Nothing has changed. Just a referendum which has brought uncertainty to our markets. They fluctuate with every speech made.

2) when we leave then we will see the full effect. It won't be complete chaos, but you're weekly shop will go from (exaple figures) £50, to £55, to £60, to £65 and so on. But your wage won't go up.

3) this whole we're leaving, end of attitude is hilarious. The referendum was nothing more than a fancy opinion poll. We haven't left yet and maybe we won't (I believe we will, just not for a while)

4) I would love to know what economic advantages you're 100% sure on. What is going to be so much better?

North West

"37.4% isn't a majority.

Leaving will be economically advantageous, are you blind? These people with economic credibility of whom you speak, are they the ones who predicted economic meltdown and recession etc etc after a vote to leave? Or are you saying they were lying all along?"

You are being either obtuse or very ignorant. There are three steps to this process:

1) initial reaction to the vote

2) invoking article 50

3) the exit

We have just passed stage 1 and not even taken the first baby steps to stage 2.

To satisfy the rabid mob, free movement has to stop. That means leaving the single market. Almost half of our exports go to the single market. If you can't see the damage that leaving the single market will cause through a mixture of both uncertainty and factual losses then you must be blind.

No Prime Minister would take us out of the single market without a further mandate to do so. They would be insane to do so.

As for the previous question about Brexit legal challenges. Of course they were never discussed previously because no one with a modicum off common sense would believe that the country would vote for economic chaos. But a majority of those voting did just that.

"1) we haven't left the EU yet. At all. Nothing has changed. Just a referendum which has brought uncertainty to our markets. They fluctuate with every speech made.

2) when we leave then we will see the full effect. It won't be complete chaos, but you're weekly shop will go from (exaple figures) £50, to £55, to £60, to £65 and so on. But your wage won't go up.

3) this whole we're leaving, end of attitude is hilarious. The referendum was nothing more than a fancy opinion poll. We haven't left yet and maybe we won't (I believe we will, just not for a while)

4) I would love to know what economic advantages you're 100% sure on. What is going to be so much better? "

ITEM 3;

Do you really believe this was only a "fancy opinion poll" did you not listen to each side on the run up, did you not listen to Cameron say that a vote to leave would be leaving and never coming back.

Do you really think people would ever vote again in any referendum or political party vote!!!

If this did not come about then who whole voting system would be a mockery

By *arry247Couple  over a year ago

Wakefield

It is true that the referendum result does not legally bind the Government to exit the EU but any government that refused to institute Brexit would undoubtedly be voted out at the next election.

The second point is it is up to the PM to trigger article 50 by informing the EU the UK intends to leave the EU it does not require a vote in Parliament for the PM to do this.

People may oppose the PM if she chooses to do that but nothing would change once triggered the timer is running and nothing can change that not even court orders.

As for all the rubbish talked about there not being a plan for Brexit, that was not the job of the campaign group. Their job was to campaign for a majority to leave the EU.

That campaign was successful job done, it is now up to the Government in power to put the electorate’s instructions into action by developing a plan and carrying it out.

Nothing will change for at least the next two years because we will still be in the EU, yes the pound will rise and fall as it has always done as will stocks and shares etc. some companies will use this as an excuse not to invest but if you dig deeper you will find their investment plans were always very flimsy and liable to be withdrawn.

When the UK leaves the EU we will be able to trade with the world on terms we agree with those countries we trade with rather than restricted to trading on compromised terms designed to accommodate all the countries of the EU.

As a final point think, at present we do not trade freely with the EU we pay a huge levy every year to do so. That levy is the cost of membership of the EU

"1) we haven't left the EU yet. At all. Nothing has changed. Just a referendum which has brought uncertainty to our markets. They fluctuate with every speech made.

4) I would love to know what economic advantages you're 100% sure on. What is going to be so much better?

ITEM 3;

Do you really believe this was only a "fancy opinion poll" did you not listen to each side on the run up, did you not listen to Cameron say that a vote to leave would be leaving and never coming back.

Do you really think people would ever vote again in any referendum or political party vote!!!

If this did not come about then who whole voting system would be a mockery "

But legally that's what it is, it's not like a vote in a general election. I'm not arguing that it will/won't be implemented. I even stated I think it will. I was merely pointing out that it legally doesn't have to be. We elect MPs to make informed decisions on our behalf. They can still go against it however unlikely. They COULD

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"37.4% isn't a majority.

Leaving the EU will be too expensive and no PM will walk the UK into a catastrophic economic meltdown without a further mandate. The Leave policy was "it will be alright on the night." If it will, all fair and good but there is hardly anyone in the world with any economic credibility who believes that it will be. Therefore a further mana date will have tone sought unless PM May wants to down in history as our most incompetent PM ever."

Why on earth would May need a "further mandate"?

She has one and four whole years to deliver it.

We heard all about the catastrophic economic meltdown before the vote but as yet nothing other than a small fluctuation in the value of Sterling.

Of course the EU would want it to happen if only to scare the shit out of any other nation that may be thinking of leaving. However, as will be proved over the next year or two, it is a myth.

May will trigger article 50 in the new year and Britain will be out at the beginning of 2019.

While some wishful thinkers from the remain camp would like to think otherwise, May knows only too well that it will be curtains for her if she fails to deliver Brexit before the next election.

Costa Blanca Spain...

It's also worth noting that lots of other things will change before and during Britain's negotiations.

As I've said before Schulz's position is looking more and more precarious and he is unlikely to get his second term as parliament president. Ditto Juncker, the voices calling for his head on a plate are getting louder.

Probably the safest bet anyone could make at the moment is that Hollande will be the ex president of France by the spring so whatever noises he is making in relation to Brexit will fall on deaf ears.

Merkel's situation is a bit more complicated but still precarious.

At the moment she is head of a grand coalition of her own CDU/CSU alliance with the SDP. Which is pretty much like a Tory/Labour coalition in the UK. To say the relationship is strained would be an understatement and, if the current polls are to be believed, holding it together is the only way she will be able to stay in power after the September election next year. Both parties are haemorrhaging voters at an alarming rate and I predict that she wont be able to form a government and will be gone.

Love her or hate her Teresa is the most secure of the lot at the moment and that only strengthens her hand.

"37.4% isn't a majority.

Leaving will be economically advantageous, are you blind? These people with economic credibility of whom you speak, are they the ones who predicted economic meltdown and recession etc etc after a vote to leave? Or are you saying they were lying all along?

What was predicted was economic uncertainty after the VOTE and then a once we LEAVE a recession or further economic issues.

I really get frustrated when people think that because in the last month we haven't descended in to chaos that it was the right choice.

1) we haven't left the EU yet. At all. Nothing has changed. Just a referendum which has brought uncertainty to our markets. They fluctuate with every speech made.

4) I would love to know what economic advantages you're 100% sure on. What is going to be so much better? "

Please tell us which institution or credible expert said we would have a recession in THREE years time? The recession rubbish was forecast after a VOTE TO LEAVE. But change the goalposts if it makes you feel bette. And for a start we will be able to trade with the world under our own terms and not have to apply the protectionist taxes we are forced to apply by the EU.

"It's also worth noting that lots of other things will change before and during Britain's negotiations.

As I've said before Schulz's position is looking more and more precarious and he is unlikely to get his second term as parliament president. Ditto Juncker, the voices calling for his head on a plate are getting louder.

Probably the safest bet anyone could make at the moment is that Hollande will be the ex president of France by the spring so whatever noises he is making in relation to Brexit will fall on deaf ears.

Merkel's situation is a bit more complicated but still precarious.

At the moment she is head of a grand coalition of her own CDU/CSU alliance with the SDP. Which is pretty much like a Tory/Labour coalition in the UK. To say the relationship is strained would be an understatement and, if the current polls are to be believed, holding it together is the only way she will be able to stay in power after the September election next year. Both parties are haemorrhaging voters at an alarming rate and I predict that she wont be able to form a government and will be gone.

Love her or hate her Teresa is the most secure of the lot at the moment and that only strengthens her hand.

"

someone sees the bigger picture, well said

"Personally I think it will be May 2018 at the earliest before article 50 is triggered. I believe that the Tories know that exit from the EU is an election loser (they will not be able to satisfy both business and the brexiteers) so May will hold off until she is sure it will be the next (Labour) government is in power when the true effects of internal Tory EU politics take hold.

Call me cynical, but that is their history. "

Have you got any evidence of that?

The normal occurance (Blair being the only exception) is;

Labour get in power

Labour fuck up Country

Labour lose power after one term

Tories get country back on feet over 2 terms

Country get nostalgic over Labour

Labour get in power

Labour fuck up Country

And repeat.

Labour get in power

Labour fuck up Country

Labour get in power

Labour fuck up Country

And repeat.

"

it's funny cuz it's true

Wakefield

Labour get in power

Labour fuck up Country

Labour get in power

Labour fuck up Country

And repeat.

"

I don't think Labour stand a chance of winning anything any time soon they cant even agree and back a leader.

If labour ever get back in they will start borrowing more money and we would be right back to the start again.

Costa Blanca Spain...

Labour get in power

Labour fuck up Country

Labour get in power

Labour fuck up Country

And repeat.

I don't think Labour stand a chance of winning anything any time soon they cant even agree and back a leader."

Yes probably right.

At the moment they seem to be in the 21st century version of Michael Foot's time (but 10 times worse) So they will eventually get rid of Corbyn (Foot) and replace him with another Kinnock, lose a couple more elections then Blair Mk2 will come to the rescue.

Pretty predictable stuff really.

Wakefield

Labour get in power

Labour fuck up Country

Labour get in power

Labour fuck up Country

And repeat.

I don't think Labour stand a chance of winning anything any time soon they cant even agree and back a leader.

Yes probably right.

At the moment they seem to be in the 21st century version of Michael Foot's time (but 10 times worse) So they will eventually get rid of Corbyn (Foot) and replace him with another Kinnock, lose a couple more elections then Blair Mk2 will come to the rescue.

Pretty predictable stuff really. "

They will have to take a fair few seats from the SNP first to stand any chance of getting close to winning and I don't think that will happen any time soon.

dissatisfied

Labour get in power

Labour fuck up Country

Labour get in power

Labour fuck up Country

And repeat.

"

yep only this time its going to be the Tories having a go at fucking it up ..

Cannock

Labour get in power

Labour fuck up Country

Labour get in power

Labour fuck up Country

And repeat.

Yes probably right.

Pretty predictable stuff really. "

Labour already had a Blair Mk2 in waiting, his name is David Miliband. They picked the wrong brother with Ed, and now both the leadership and the party are too dumb to bring him back in and use his talent.

dissatisfied

Labour get in power

Labour fuck up Country

Labour get in power

Labour fuck up Country

And repeat.

Yes probably right.

Labour already had a Blair Mk2 in waiting, his name is David Miliband. They picked the wrong brother with Ed, and now both the leadership and the party are too dumb to bring him back in and use his talent. "

Agree about the miliband brothers ..but if you were David Miliband would you really want the job ?

Cannock

Labour get in power

Labour fuck up Country

Labour get in power

Labour fuck up Country

And repeat.

Yes probably right.

Labour already had a Blair Mk2 in waiting, his name is David Miliband. They picked the wrong brother with Ed, and now both the leadership and the party are too dumb to bring him back in and use his talent.

Agree about the miliband brothers ..but if you were David Miliband would you really want the job ?"

If he cares about Labour as much as he says he does then I think he'd want to save the party, albeit after a huge amount of ass kissing and grovelling from those who betrayed him. Those who betrayed him have too much pride to beg him to come back, and those momentum militants would probably hate him as a leader.

Costa Blanca Spain...

Labour get in power

Labour fuck up Country

Labour get in power

Labour fuck up Country

And repeat.

Yes probably right.

Agree about the miliband brothers ..but if you were David Miliband would you really want the job ?

If he cares about Labour as much as he says he does then I think he'd want to save the party, albeit after a huge amount of ass kissing and grovelling from those who betrayed him. Those who betrayed him have too much pride to beg him to come back, and those momentum militants would probably hate him as a leader. "

There lies Labour's big problem.

If ever there was a recipe for the perfect disaster it was the 3 quid memberships. It allowed the Labour party to be hijacked by the modern version of Militant and at the moment I can't see a way back.

Maybe, as happened in the 80's, it will take a couple of general election thrashings to drag them back to reality.

Corbyn may appeal to the extreme left that now seem to control the party but in the country at large he is toxic and hasn't a hope in hell of ever being PM.

ITEM 3;

If this did not come about then who whole voting system would be a mockery

But legally that's what it is, it's not like a vote in a general election. I'm not arguing that it will/won't be implemented. I even stated I think it will. I was merely pointing out that it legally doesn't have to be. We elect MPs to make informed decisions on our behalf. They can still go against it however unlikely. They COULD"

That's not quite true, a referendum is basically handing back temporary power to put a vote to the people, the people vote and then the elected representatives act on that vote!.

So legally your correct, the people don't have the power to implement the vote but by golly if those mps don't act on the mandate handed down to them from the people then we may just as well pack the whole fucking thing up and become south America

dissatisfied

Anyone for loopholes ?

http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit-how-does-article-50-work-2016-7

"

So tell me, why were these legal challenges about the PM/Government being able to invoke article 50 not put forward before the referendum?"

A new Project Fear. Riots in the street and civil unrest.

Most people will get on with life and deal with the consequences. Exactly what you were saying if the vote was to leave and all the fear mongering was nonsense.

Stoke the fires, fan the flames. It's working well. More hatred and attacks is exactly what we need.

"If labour ever get back in they will start borrowing more money and we would be right back to the start again.

"

We're already borrowing more money.

"

Most people will get on with life and deal with the consequences. Exactly what you were saying if the vote was to leave and all the fear mongering was nonsense.

Stoke the fires, fan the flames. It's working well. More hatred and attacks is exactly what we need.

"

what??

so you think there would be no reaction if a democratic decision was overturned?

dissatisfied

"If labour ever get back in they will start borrowing more money and we would be right back to the start again.

We're already borrowing more money. "

And by the the end of this government borrowing will be at record levels and the Tory supporters will still hail them a success

"

what??

so you think there would be no reaction if a democratic decision was overturned?"

I think there would be a reaction but to state is as riots in the streets is just as much scare mongering as you stated the Remaniacs were pandering. And it's inciting civil unrest.

This government is not going to risk losing elections so they will do whatever is possible to make sure we leave. Whether we leave with the rosy garden, we get everything options is another matter.

Let's concentrate on having a plan, Article 50 being triggered and making the deals. Not on fanning flames on an already fractious and split nation on this issue.

"

what??

so you think there would be no reaction if a democratic decision was overturned?

I think there would be a reaction but to state is as riots in the streets is just as much scare mongering as you stated the Remaniacs were pandering. And it's inciting civil unrest.

This government is not going to risk losing elections so they will do whatever is possible to make sure we leave. Whether we leave with the rosy garden, we get everything options is another matter.

Let's concentrate on having a plan, Article 50 being triggered and making the deals. Not on fanning flames on an already fractious and split nation on this issue.

"

who's fanning flames? Just being realistic

"

what??

who's fanning flames? Just being realistic"

Why is it realistic? Are you saying that Brexiters are incapable of peaceful protest? Is it all true that Brexiters are knuckle dragging racists and xenophobes incapable of reasoned discussion?

If you can't see how such comments help to fan the flames and cannot see that even positing it is as much a project fear as the Remaniacs claims prior to the vote then you really aren't as enlightened as you present yourself to be.

I'm out.

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

Jeez guys cool down mun.

Both sides have argued the toss, and bent the truth a bit, however, you only have to look at what is happening NOW to realise that "Project Fear" which was entered into by The Govt, the Chancellor, the Bank of England, European leaders, and International Organisations like the IMF, was a complete load of bollix.

No "punishment" emergency Budget.

No collapse of the banking, industrial and financial sectors... in fact the opposite, even the Germans grudgingly admit we will outperform them again this year.

No economic meltdown... yeah, stick that in your pipe Carney!

No withdrawing of the border checkpoints from the French side of the Channel.

No Global crash triggered by us naughty Brits voting to leave... up yours IMF... hope that snotty cow who heads it gets done for the 400 million fraud they are investigating!

The truth is, the EU is shitting itself, and will say and do anything to hold their gravy-train together. They will talk the talk, but more EU jobs and money depend on us for trade than vice-versa... and you know the saying, "bullshit walks, but money talks".

They will act tough, hoping to push us into agreements that punish us and favour them, all done to scare the other EU member states into toeing the line.

I'm hoping all the tough talk from May, Davis et al will be carried through, and the EU disintegrates, it's had its chance, it didn't work.

"

what??

who's fanning flames? Just being realistic

Why is it realistic? Are you saying that Brexiters are incapable of peaceful protest? Is it all true that Brexiters are knuckle dragging racists and xenophobes incapable of reasoned discussion?

If you can't see how such comments help to fan the flames and cannot see that even positing it is as much a project fear as the Remaniacs claims prior to the vote then you really aren't as enlightened as you present yourself to be.

I'm out. "

we have already had the reasoned discussion. Good

Costa Blanca Spain...

"Jeez guys cool down mun.

Both sides have argued the toss, and bent the truth a bit, however, you only have to look at what is happening NOW to realise that "Project Fear" which was entered into by The Govt, the Chancellor, the Bank of England, European leaders, and International Organisations like the IMF, was a complete load of bollix.

No collapse of the banking, industrial and financial sectors... in fact the opposite, even the Germans grudgingly admit we will outperform them again this year.

No Global crash triggered by us naughty Brits voting to leave... up yours IMF... hope that snotty cow who heads it gets done for the 400 million fraud they are investigating!

The truth is, the EU is shitting itself, and will say and do anything to hold their gravy-train together. They will talk the talk, but more EU jobs and money depend on us for trade than vice-versa... and you know the saying, "bullshit walks, but money talks".

They will act tough, hoping to push us into agreements that punish us and favour them, all done to scare the other EU member states into toeing the line.

I'm hoping all the tough talk from May, Davis et al will be carried through, and the EU disintegrates, it's had its chance, it didn't work."

Yep.

I'm hoping all the tough talk from May, Davis et al will be carried through, and the EU disintegrates, it's had its chance, it didn't work.

Yep. "

another Yep here, well said and I guess no remainer can deny

North West

I'm hoping all the tough talk from May, Davis et al will be carried through, and the EU disintegrates, it's had its chance, it didn't work."

The immature and childlike arrogance of some of the United Kingdom expressed in a single post. I don't want to play this game away so I am taking my ball away and if you won't let me, I will try to burst it so you can't all play together.

IF.... Still a big if, the U.K. does start the exit process from something and does eventually leave part or all of the EU (far from guaranteed) the process will be a long one. If by some mission of madness PM May decides that she will take the UK out of the single market as well as the EU then the economic hits will start to arrive in slow motion thereafter. This when facts would replace theory.

The EU will far from disintegrate but will evolve as all entities evolve changing and reacting to the will of its member states. Unfortunately, a number of Brits will continue to wish upon or even plot the demise of the EU in an effort to validate their own irrational viewpoints whilst simultaneously trying to invalidate the choices and opinions of 450 million other Europeans. In fact there could be a new Brexit process role for UKIP and the Brexiters in expressing outrage and hatred that the EU or certain EU leaders who would not let Britain get its own way and so are directly responsible for certain economic consequences. Look out for suggestions of boycotting nations, boycotting produce, creating effigies of hatred etc etc

Yep.

another Yep here, well said and I guess no remainer can deny "

Another yep.

As has been said numerous times before there is no point being in denial. We are leaving and that is that. It is purely a question of when not if.

"

The immature and childlike arrogance of some of the United Kingdom expressed in a single post. I don't want to play this game away so I am taking my ball away and if you won't let me, I will try to burst it so you can't all play together.

IF.... Still a big if, the U.K. does start the exit process from something and does eventually leave part or all of the EU (far from guaranteed) the process will be a long one. If by some mission of madness PM May decides that she will take the UK out of the single market as well as the EU then the economic hits will start to arrive in slow motion thereafter. This when facts would replace theory.

The EU will far from disintegrate but will evolve as all entities evolve changing and reacting to the will of its member states. Unfortunately, a number of Brits will continue to wish upon or even plot the demise of the EU in an effort to validate their own irrational viewpoints whilst simultaneously trying to invalidate the choices and opinions of 450 million other Europeans. In fact there could be a new Brexit process role for UKIP and the Brexiters in expressing outrage and hatred that the EU or certain EU leaders who would not let Britain get its own way and so are directly responsible for certain economic consequences. Look out for suggestions of boycotting nations, boycotting produce, creating effigies of hatred etc etc"

I said a long time ago I wasn't responding to these as it just kept going in circles and we had to agree to disagree.

So much self opinionated dilge based on nothing more than prejudice I'm glad I've risen above it.

dissatisfied

"

The EU will far from disintegrate but will evolve as all entities evolve changing and reacting to the will of its member states. Unfortunately, a number of Brits will continue to wish upon or even plot the demise of the EU in an effort to validate their own irrational viewpoints whilst simultaneously trying to invalidate the choices and opinions of 450 million other Europeans. In fact there could be a new Brexit process role for UKIP and the Brexiters in expressing outrage and hatred that the EU or certain EU leaders who would not let Britain get its own way and so are directly responsible for certain economic consequences. Look out for suggestions of boycotting nations, boycotting produce, creating effigies of hatred etc etc

I said a long time ago I wasn't responding to these as it just kept going in circles and we had to agree to disagree.

So much self opinionated dilge based on nothing more than prejudice I'm glad I've risen above it."

A European view on when to trigger it

http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKKCN1012P7

He said the uncertainty was damaging the EU economies... However, at the moment there is some market stability. So where he gets that from, more of a tactical push to get things started!

When article 50 is enacted and negotiations start the markets will react and there will be 'momentum fluctuations both ways!! Money will be moved out of European financial markets and FDI ( foreign direct investment ) may dry up In the two years of negotiations and in post Brexit. There will be untold uncertainty all the way through this and for years after! Plus, there is a threat that other EU countries will try for domestic referendums. THATS, one thing he does not want.... !!

The government will know what the pitfalls are of the negotiations and life outside of the EU may look like.. So, given that it will not be until next year A.50 is enacted,it is a good thing as it will allow counter strategies to be formed and GB to protect our Domestic and National product...

Cannock

The EU will far from disintegrate but will evolve as all entities evolve changing and reacting to the will of its member states. Unfortunately, a number of Brits will continue to wish upon or even plot the demise of the EU in an effort to validate their own irrational viewpoints whilst simultaneously trying to invalidate the choices and opinions of 450 million other Europeans. In fact there could be a new Brexit process role for UKIP and the Brexiters in expressing outrage and hatred that the EU or certain EU leaders who would not let Britain get its own way and so are directly responsible for certain economic consequences. Look out for suggestions of boycotting nations, boycotting produce, creating effigies of hatred etc etc"

The EU does not have support from 450 million other Europeans outside of Britain. There is huge opposition to the EU right across Europe in many different EU countries. Many European people want to be free from the EU. The election results in many European countries speak for themselves, support for right wing parties, (and left wing parties such as in Greece) and anti EU parties is growing and they keep gaining more votes with each passing election.

Cannock

Yep.

another Yep here, well said and I guess no remainer can deny "

Another yep from me too.

dissatisfied

Yep.

another Yep here, well said and I guess no remainer can deny

Another yep from me too. "

Just rhetoric from both sides as it always before any negotiations.. Not fooled by either side ..still if it makes some happy keep the faith ...

» Add a new message to this topic