FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > North south divide

North south divide

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Ok so for many a year we were all told of the North south divide, but for a while now it's been were all in it together. My question is which do you think is true??

Personally I think there is still a North south divide.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Damm right there is, everyone south of Helmsdale is obviously richer than the Catholic Church and it's obvious that the flesh pots of Inverness are positively hooching with sin and depravity while us from the proper north don't even have a wet cardboard box to sleep in, still feeling the effects of the clearances

By *tillup4funMan  over a year ago

Wakefield

"Ok so for many a year we were all told of the North south divide, but for a while now it's been were all in it together. My question is which do you think is true??

Personally I think there is still a North south divide. "

Yes I agree and think there always will be.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

There is a north/south devide,and it is getting bigger I believe.

All governments in this country tend to favour the south because it is where government is so if the south is happy there will never be any form of revolution.

The north tends to be very insular in its thinking and therefore contributes less to the wealth of the nation.

I am not into writing long essays on this site but there are many reasons and you have to look at the history of the country going back many years and more.

I have never witnessed a North/ South divide.

I cross the Thames on a daily basis at work and find those North of the border are very welcoming and I have many friends in North London.

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

The biggest N/S divide I ever see is the North having a chip on their shoulder about a North/ South divide!

By *tillup4funMan  over a year ago

Wakefield

"The biggest N/S divide I ever see is the North having a chip on their shoulder about a North/ South divide!"

Its not a big as the chip you have on your shoulder over the EU referendum.

"The biggest N/S divide I ever see is the North having a chip on their shoulder about a North/ South divide!"

Really?? Maybe if the government were fair in the granting of projects in this country then we would see less of a divided nation and then maybe just maybe we could get back to being a world power instead of a third rate European country. But won't happen now we have left the eu.

By *ngel n tedCouple  over a year ago

maidstone

"The biggest N/S divide I ever see is the North having a chip on their shoulder about a North/ South divide!

Really?? Maybe if the government were fair in the granting of projects in this country then we would see less of a divided nation and then maybe just maybe we could get back to being a world power instead of a third rate European country. But won't happen now we have left the eu."

We only voted to leave the eu, we can still be a third rate european country.

"Ok so for many a year we were all told of the North south divide, but for a while now it's been were all in it together. My question is which do you think is true??

The biggest laugh is that Londoners really think Birmingham & Manchester are the North

Cambridge

The biggest laugh is that Londoners really think Birmingham & Manchester are the North

"

But Manchester and Birmingham ARE North of London.

Cambridge

"The biggest N/S divide I ever see is the North having a chip on their shoulder about a North/ South divide!

Really?? Maybe if the government were fair in the granting of projects in this country then we would see less of a divided nation and then maybe just maybe we could get back to being a world power instead of a third rate European country. But won't happen now we have left the eu."

Is that why you think the South is more prosperous, because of government projects?

But Manchester and Birmingham ARE North of London. "

you know exactly what I mean when they consider these locations "The North"

Really?? Maybe if the government were fair in the granting of projects in this country then we would see less of a divided nation and then maybe just maybe we could get back to being a world power instead of a third rate European country. But won't happen now we have left the eu.

Is that why you think the South is more prosperous, because of government projects? "

If London is more prosperous they should clean up their streets of filth & litter, there is a lot of poverty in London and its a filthy city, good luck to anyone staying there

Cambridge

Is that why you think the South is more prosperous, because of government projects?

If London is more prosperous they should clean up their streets of filth & litter, there is a lot of poverty in London and its a filthy city, good luck to anyone staying there"

London IS more prosperous than any other city in the UK, and most in the world. You might think that its filthy and that may be true, but millions of people live there, so there must be some reason for that. In fact as many people live in London as people live in Scotland and Wales combined, so it can’t be all bad, but Im sure they are glad of the extra bit of luck that you have wished them.

If London is more prosperous they should clean up their streets of filth & litter, there is a lot of poverty in London and its a filthy city, good luck to anyone staying there

London IS more prosperous than any other city in the UK, and most in the world. You might think that its filthy and that may be true, but millions of people live there, so there must be some reason for that. In fact as many people live in London as people live in Scotland and Wales combined, so it can’t be all bad, but Im sure they are glad of the extra bit of luck that you have wished them."

Every time I see you post it's always so sarcastic and argumentative.

There's many reasons why London is more prosperous but successive governments have certainly added to the North / South divide. Not least Thatcher who put a certain Northern city into "managed decline" during her tenure. She didn't succeed. Lots of people live in London for work but I bet a lot of them wouldn't through choice. I like The John Soanes Museum so London is ok, for a visit

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

Having travelled a fair bit can safely say that it's not only those in the capital that can be insular and not aware of other parts of these wonderful islands..

Folk are folk and we share much more commonality than some like to infer..

By *uicyJay1Man  over a year ago

Manchester

South has had most of the power in the past years but now the north is becoming more of a powerhouse and more stuff seems to be getting done round here (north) refurbishments and new buildings etc. I think this will pit the north back on the same boat as the south and we can grow together as equal

London IS more prosperous than any other city in the UK, and most in the world. You might think that its filthy and that may be true, but millions of people live there, so there must be some reason for that. In fact as many people live in London as people live in Scotland and Wales combined, so it can’t be all bad, but Im sure they are glad of the extra bit of luck that you have wished them.

There's many reasons why London is more prosperous but successive governments have certainly added to the North / South divide. Not least Thatcher who put a certain Northern city into "managed decline" during her tenure. She didn't succeed. Lots of people live in London for work but I bet a lot of them wouldn't through choice. I like The John Soanes Museum so London is ok, for a visit "

I definitely agree with your comment on CLCC

As for the rest of your comments some I agree with some I don't. There are people working in London who don't want to but the same can be said about every Town/City around the world. Equally I know several people who choose to and enjoy working in London for its vibrancy.

Thatcher? She devides opinion so I wont even go there.

Is there a North South divide? I am oblivious to it but hear people from the North, including Scotland, complain about it so those people must think there is one. Which suggests a degree of resentment from those which will cause a divide.

This is pure guess work and I fully expect to be shot down, but I would suggest government spending per head is probably pretty equal. It just seems more as the South East is so densely populated therefore overall spending is much higher.

I'd be interested to know if the South West also feel there is a divide.

There's many reasons why London is more prosperous but successive governments have certainly added to the North / South divide. Not least Thatcher who put a certain Northern city into "managed decline" during her tenure. She didn't succeed. Lots of people live in London for work but I bet a lot of them wouldn't through choice. I like The John Soanes Museum so London is ok, for a visit

As for the rest of your comments some I agree with some I don't. There are people working in London who don't want to but the same can be said about every Town/City around the world. Equally I know several people who choose to and enjoy working in London for its vibrancy.

Is there a North South divide? I am oblivious to it but hear people from the North, including Scotland, complain about it so those people must think there is one. Which suggests a degree of resentment from those which will cause a divide.

This is pure guess work and I fully expect to be shot down, but I would suggest government spending per head is probably pretty equal. It just seems more as the South East is so densely populated therefore overall spending is much higher.

I'd be interested to know if the South West also feel there is a divide."

The thing is I don't complain about it I've just observed it and know it to be true.

Things are definitely better than they were in certain Northern English and Scottish cities but there is still a big difference in things like life expectancy and health etc.

I also like Camden so I'm not slagging off London I just personally couldn't live there.

There are some quite poor areas in the South as well though, Cornwall definitely benefited from European money so I believe.

Going to disagree with you on this. There is a clear North South divide.

Come up North, the income disparity and difference in employment prospects hit home hard, as a friend from Reading told me when he came up to Manchester for a year.

There is a north south divide. It starts at the Watford gap.

Suggests those who do not get out of London should do so prior to making comments.

If you get lost feel free to get in contact as we speak the same language

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"I have never witnessed a North/ South divide.

I cross the Thames on a daily basis at work and find those North of the border are very welcoming and I have many friends in North London."

sarcastic bugger

Cambridge

"

Things are definitely better than they were in certain Northern English and Scottish cities but there is still a big difference in things like life expectancy and health etc.

I also like Camden so I'm not slagging off London I just personally couldn't live there.

There are some quite poor areas in the South as well though, Cornwall definitely benefited from European money so I believe. "

Is the difference in health expectancy the government's fault though? If people chose to eat, drink and smoke themselves to death, should they be given that freedom, or should the government stop them?

I'd be interested to know if the South West also feel there is a divide."

Erith, nice post

what exactly would you like to hear from people up North & Scotland?

I am from an ideal scenic part of Scotland with stunning views, and stunning rivers well known for salmon fishing, white water rapids canoeing, as well as living in a lovely large home with acres of ground which you simply could not afford in London unless you paid out a number of £millions.

I smile when people consider London the hub of everything and consider it more prosperous because the people who live there have to commute in shocking conditions tube/trains and driving can be a nightmare

I prefer to relax, enjoy the countryside, have the privacy of my land with no overlooking neighbours and within a 10 minute walk you can venture into fields and woodlands that are home to herds of wild deer including reds

The only downturn was that I had to work 20 weeks of the year to bring in a comfortable income to make this possible, but due to many years of careful planning and AVC's I can now appreciate semi retirement soon to be full retirement

a weekly event of 9-5 living is not for me, infact what were the words of AC/DC -

Well you can stick your nine to five livin'

And your collar and your tie

And stick your moral standards

'Cause it's all a dirty lie

You can stick your golden handshake

And you can stick your silly rules

And all the other shit

That they teach to kids in school

The only time I used to visit London was to fly out of the place but thanks to Virgin & United Airlines we can fly to the USA from Scotland now

Think a lot of people are confusing "more prosperous" which is economic fact, with "better quality of life" which is subjective.

Life up north does have benefits.

Roof paid for so work less and have more fun knowing I've not got to move because I had an interest only mortgage.

Thinks he may also be retired prior to friends down south.

Its not all grey and kebabs

"

There are some quite poor areas in the South as well though, Cornwall definitely benefited from European money so I believe.

Is the difference in health expectancy the government's fault though? If people chose to eat, drink and smoke themselves to death, should they be given that freedom, or should the government stop them? "

Sometimes socio-economic factors mean people make detrimental lifestyle choices. This happens less in affluent areas such as the South East and home counties. Addressing inequality I would hope to be a government's goal but it's hard to believe it is.

"

Is the difference in health expectancy the government's fault though? If people chose to eat, drink and smoke themselves to death, should they be given that freedom, or should the government stop them?

Sometimes socio-economic factors mean people make detrimental lifestyle choices. This happens less in affluent areas such as the South East and home counties. Addressing inequality I would hope to be a government's goal but it's hard to believe it is."

I can believe that the circumstances you are born into play a role in some preferences and choices. But ultimately they don't define the individual for life and people are still responsible for their actions.

Unless you want the government to take the problem away by making those choices for them, which I wouldn't advise

Cambridge

"Think a lot of people are confusing "more prosperous" which is economic fact, with "better quality of life" which is subjective. "

Exactly the point I was trying to make. I wasn't saying one place was better than another, but prosperity is about income generation, and you are going to get a lot more income from the taxes of the big banks, corporations, insurance companies etc. than you are in forests and fields filled with deer.

Cambridge

"

Sometimes socio-economic factors mean people make detrimental lifestyle choices. This happens less in affluent areas such as the South East and home counties. Addressing inequality I would hope to be a government's goal but it's hard to believe it is."

It sounds a bit like you are saying that some people are too thick to know what's good for them.

"

Sometimes socio-economic factors mean people make detrimental lifestyle choices. This happens less in affluent areas such as the South East and home counties. Addressing inequality I would hope to be a government's goal but it's hard to believe it is.

It sounds a bit like you are saying that some people are too thick to know what's good for them. "

But they are saying in indirect language so thick people won't feel patronised

"Think a lot of people are confusing "more prosperous" which is economic fact, with "better quality of life" which is subjective.

Exactly the point I was trying to make. I wasn't saying one place was better than another, but prosperity is about income generation, and you are going to get a lot more income from the taxes of the big banks, corporations, insurance companies etc. than you are in forests and fields filled with deer."

The capital is the most prosperous or second most prosperous part of most countries. Most of them are busy and overcrowded too.

"

It sounds a bit like you are saying that some people are too thick to know what's good for them. "

If that's how you want to interpret that then that's up to you. Like I said earlier you're always very argumentative.

I wouldn't patronise people in the job I do, I observe. It's well known that people from poorer backgrounds with less prospects make certain lifestyle choices that aren't necessarily beneficial to them. I certainly didn't say I think people are too thick to know what's good for them.

Nice try though but I've seen plenty of threads where you comment trying to get a rise.

"

It sounds a bit like you are saying that some people are too thick to know what's good for them.

If that's how you want to interpret that then that's up to you. Like I said earlier you're always very argumentative.

I wouldn't patronise people in the job I do, I observe. It's well known that people from poorer backgrounds with less prospects make certain lifestyle choices that aren't necessarily beneficial to them. I certainly didn't say I think people are too thick to know what's good for them.

Nice try though but I've seen plenty of threads where you comment trying to get a rise. "

But then so do plenty of people from rich backgrounds! And not all people from poor backgrounds make those bad choices either. So the circumstances influence but they don't define?

"

Nice try though but I've seen plenty of threads where you comment trying to get a rise.

But then so do plenty of people from rich backgrounds! And not all people from poor backgrounds make those bad choices either. So the circumstances influence but they don't define? "

Well it's not my figures that show the difference in life expectancy in less affluent areas compared to more affluent areas It's a fact. Obviously there are always anomalies.

"

But then so do plenty of people from rich backgrounds! And not all people from poor backgrounds make those bad choices either. So the circumstances influence but they don't define?

Well it's not my figures that show the difference in life expectancy in less affluent areas compared to more affluent areas It's a fact. Obviously there are always anomalies."

I'm not disputing the facts. I'm simply re-asking the original question which is about whether you think people's choices need to be regulated more since their choices obviously have some very negative outcomes?

"

Well it's not my figures that show the difference in life expectancy in less affluent areas compared to more affluent areas It's a fact. Obviously there are always anomalies.

I'm not disputing the facts. I'm simply re-asking the original question which is about whether you think people's choices need to be regulated more since their choices obviously have some very negative outcomes? "

No I don't I think inequality should be addressed like I said earlier.

"

I'm not disputing the facts. I'm simply re-asking the original question which is about whether you think people's choices need to be regulated more since their choices obviously have some very negative outcomes?

No I don't I think inequality should be addressed like I said earlier."

But there's two problems with that answer. Firstly, as we've been discussing, circumstances are not the sole reason for bad choices. Secondly, a degree of inequality is part and parcel of every society humans have ever created.

So whilst reducing some inequality could help some people make some better choices. It's only going to have a small overall effect on the problem.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

Of course there is!

All you have to do is listen to the Tory noble Lord Howell talking about fracking to know how deep it is and who its defenders are!

Have a listen:

https://youtu.be/unL4wjUWna8

"

But there's two problems with that answer. Firstly, as we've been discussing, circumstances are not the sole reason for bad choices. Secondly, a degree of inequality is part and parcel of every society humans have ever created.

So whilst reducing some inequality could help some people make some better choices. It's only going to have a small overall effect on the problem. "

Well that's your opinion. The original question was is there a North South divide and I think there is and I'd rather the government spend money on addressing inequalities than not.

"

So whilst reducing some inequality could help some people make some better choices. It's only going to have a small overall effect on the problem.

Well that's your opinion. The original question was is there a North South divide and I think there is and I'd rather the government spend money on addressing inequalities than not. "

It's not really my opinion so much as a combination of facts and logic. Unless you can point me to a society that was or is completely equal or some research that shows that substance abuse is directly correlated with post codes or something?

"

Well that's your opinion. The original question was is there a North South divide and I think there is and I'd rather the government spend money on addressing inequalities than not.

It's not really my opinion so much as a combination of facts and logic. Unless you can point me to a society that was or is completely equal or some research that shows that substance abuse is directly correlated with post codes or something? "

There's plenty of evidence and I don't need to point anything out to you. I'm answering you because I'm polite but it's obvious we are not going to agree so probably best just leaving it.

Cambridge

"

Nice try though but I've seen plenty of threads where you comment trying to get a rise. "

So do you think that it is poverty that causes these problems?

If you took a poor family that eats too much, smokes too much and drinks too much, and then said here is an extra £.... per month, would they drink less, smoke less and eat less?

"

If you took a poor family that eats too much, smokes too much and drinks too much, and then said here is an extra £.... per month, would they drink less, smoke less and eat less? "

If there were alternatives offered then maybe. There's a bit more to it than that simplistic view though isn't there.

I'd be interested to know if the South West also feel there is a divide.

Erith, nice post

what exactly would you like to hear from people up North & Scotland?

I am from an ideal scenic part of Scotland with stunning views, and stunning rivers well known for salmon fishing, white water rapids canoeing, as well as living in a lovely large home with acres of ground which you simply could not afford in London unless you paid out a number of £millions.

I smile when people consider London the hub of everything and consider it more prosperous because the people who live there have to commute in shocking conditions tube/trains and driving can be a nightmare

I prefer to relax, enjoy the countryside, have the privacy of my land with no overlooking neighbours and within a 10 minute walk you can venture into fields and woodlands that are home to herds of wild deer including reds

The only downturn was that I had to work 20 weeks of the year to bring in a comfortable income to make this possible, but due to many years of careful planning and AVC's I can now appreciate semi retirement soon to be full retirement

a weekly event of 9-5 living is not for me, infact what were the words of AC/DC -

Well you can stick your nine to five livin'

And your collar and your tie

And stick your moral standards

'Cause it's all a dirty lie

You can stick your golden handshake

And you can stick your silly rules

And all the other shit

That they teach to kids in school

The only time I used to visit London was to fly out of the place but thanks to Virgin & United Airlines we can fly to the USA from Scotland now

"

Sounds like a good life. Am I envious? Yes, to a degree as I do enjoy peace and relaxation. But I like being near everything and I know I'd miss city life.

Ideal world for me would be half and half. The company I work for includes arguably the biggest Construction company in Scotland. So maybe one day I'll consider a transfer as you sell the place so well

"

If you took a poor family that eats too much, smokes too much and drinks too much, and then said here is an extra £.... per month, would they drink less, smoke less and eat less?

If there were alternatives offered then maybe. There's a bit more to it than that simplistic view though isn't there."

I agree with you. Poorer areas generally have a far higher number of fast food/ junk food outlets with cheap unhealthy food readilily available, along with cheap alcohol seemingly in every other shop.

Not too many organic grocers either.

Cambridge

"

If there were alternatives offered then maybe. There's a bit more to it than that simplistic view though isn't there."

I thought you were saying that it was poverty that caused the lower life expectancy? Therefore relieve the poverty, change the life expectancy.

Personally I think its culture, rather than the contents of the bank account that makes the difference.

"

If there were alternatives offered then maybe. There's a bit more to it than that simplistic view though isn't there.

I thought you were saying that it was poverty that caused the lower life expectancy? Therefore relieve the poverty, change the life expectancy.

Personally I think its culture, rather than the contents of the bank account that makes the difference."

I think they're both factors.

Cambridge

"

Personally I think its culture, rather than the contents of the bank account that makes the difference.

I think they're both factors. "

And who’s responsibility is it to change these things then?

"

And who’s responsibility is it to change these things then?"

Ffs you are unreal. Instead of asking this on a swinging site forum why not try doing something about it yourself.

Think some people have a funny view on the purpose of a political discussion forum

Cambridge

"

Ffs you are unreal. Instead of asking this on a swinging site forum why not try doing something about it yourself. "

I'm pretty certain you have no idea what I do outside of fab, so you wouldn't know if I was doing something about it or not. But it doesn't matter if I am or if I'm not, I can still debate the issue on the Politics section of this forum as well.

I don't really understand why you would comment on a thread, if you don't want to talk about the subject of the thread?

"

And who’s responsibility is it to change these things then?"

Yours

Cambridge

"

And who’s responsibility is it to change these things then?

Yours "

I'm doing the best I can, saving the world one forum post at a time

"

Ffs you are unreal. Instead of asking this on a swinging site forum why not try doing something about it yourself.

I'm pretty certain you have no idea what I do outside of fab, so you wouldn't know if I was doing something about it or not. But it doesn't matter if I am or if I'm not, I can still debate the issue on the Politics section of this forum as well.

I don't really understand why you would comment on a thread, if you don't want to talk about the subject of the thread? "

Thing is though, and I said this very early on, I'm happy to debate but you are just argumentative. I've witnessed this on many threads you have posted on. I posted relevant to the thread but I'm not here to answer to demands from you. Don't mistake that.

"

I don't really understand why you would comment on a thread, if you don't want to talk about the subject of the thread? "

What!!!!!!!

you mean you have a "life" outside fab, checking the time stamps of your posts it looks like you are on here 24/7

Cambridge

"

I don't really understand why you would comment on a thread, if you don't want to talk about the subject of the thread?

Thing is though, and I said this very early on, I'm happy to debate but you are just argumentative. I've witnessed this on many threads you have posted on. I posted relevant to the thread but I'm not here to answer to demands from you. Don't mistake that."

I was just asking a question, you dont have to respond to it, and any questions that I pose are open to anyone to answer or respond to as its an open forum.

The OP was about the North South divide, I was asking a question about if there is a divide, who's responsibility is it to remove that divide? I thought it was a question relevant to the debate at hand.

Pros and cons to both north and south i live in the middle of the peak district with countryside, woods and hills as far as the eye can see so london can keeps its money as long as i got this view i dont care

Is that why you think the South is more prosperous, because of government projects? "

Amongst other things yes. It is certainly one of the reasons why. London is not the powerhouse city it once was.

Cambridge

Amongst other things yes. It is certainly one of the reasons why. London is not the powerhouse city it once was. "

It's private enterprise that makes the south more prosperous, not government projects.

Amongst other things yes. It is certainly one of the reasons why. London is not the powerhouse city it once was.

It's private enterprise that makes the south more prosperous, not government projects. "

And you really believe that?? Your deluded then. If the south didn't get the chunnel, major roadworks on tap etc etc etc then no company would Base itself in London as the infrastructure (government projects) would not be in place to succeed. If the same amount of money and effort went into the projects for the North then maybe we would see London actually being pushed as a UK centre for excellence, but as we won't then the uk will just end up going backwards.

Cambridge

It's private enterprise that makes the south more prosperous, not government projects.

And you really believe that?? Your deluded then. If the south didn't get the chunnel, major roadworks on tap etc etc etc then no company would Base itself in London as the infrastructure (government projects) would not be in place to succeed. If the same amount of money and effort went into the projects for the North then maybe we would see London actually being pushed as a UK centre for excellence, but as we won't then the uk will just end up going backwards. "

So are you saying its a North South divide, or a London vs everywhere else divide?

And you really believe that?? Your deluded then. If the south didn't get the chunnel, major roadworks on tap etc etc etc then no company would Base itself in London as the infrastructure (government projects) would not be in place to succeed. If the same amount of money and effort went into the projects for the North then maybe we would see London actually being pushed as a UK centre for excellence, but as we won't then the uk will just end up going backwards.

So are you saying its a North South divide, or a London vs everywhere else divide? "

North south divide. London is the biggest city so is by far the easiest target but I think for most of the south of England it's just the same really.

Cambridge

So are you saying its a North South divide, or a London vs everywhere else divide?

North south divide. London is the biggest city so is by far the easiest target but I think for most of the south of England it's just the same really. "

It costs more to deliver services in rural areas, such as the North, than in places like London. That is one of the main reasons for extra spending on Scotland, Wales and NI. So the government spends more per head in the North than they do in the South.

North south divide. London is the biggest city so is by far the easiest target but I think for most of the south of England it's just the same really.

It costs more to deliver services in rural areas, such as the North, than in places like London. That is one of the main reasons for extra spending on Scotland, Wales and NI. So the government spends more per head in the North than they do in the South."

Even if that were the case I doubt if you put together the information for the last 20-30 years that spending per capita would be anywhere near the same. Maybe the last 5-10 years the spend has changed but that's due to the fact that now most governments have realised that they can't depend on just their usual core demographic for votes.

I've got to say I'm really enjoying debating this subject and it's refreshing to see what others think

M

I don't think there is any place I would hate to live more, than London, so glad I do not have the hassles that go with living in London

By *igsteve43Man  over a year ago

derby

It costs more to deliver services in rural areas, such as the North, than in places like London. That is one of the main reasons for extra spending on Scotland, Wales and NI. So the government spends more per head in the North than they do in the South."

You may be right when it comes to services it does cost more for things like providing things like high speed internet to rural areas but end result is those areas are the last to get it but im afraid on the major things on average they spend 20 times more per head in the south than they do in the north

Hs2 is proof of that close to 100bn on a project which really only benefits london

By *ervent_fervourMan  over a year ago

Halifax

Yeah. The North gets totally equal investments doesn't it?

You can even see it in like for like house prices.

Couldn't put a fag paper between them!

Cambridge

Just out of interest, where are people defining the North and the South here?

"Just out of interest, where are people defining the North and the South here?"

Anything north of the border, ie The Thames.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"Just out of interest, where are people defining the North and the South here?"

If I am being totally fair I would have to say that the north south divide has now become a SE rest of the country divide and that it is really quite easy to define...

Anything outside the London commuter belt and the M1,2,3,4,20 and 40 corridors gets the same piss poor deal when compared to the capital.

I've migrated north. My north south border shifted from the thames to Yorkshire. So where is the real border?

By *reakShow90Man  over a year ago

Manchester/halifax

Divide

Yes there is still a divide between the north and south always has been always will be

Was once shopping and a guy in front of me was saying how shit it is up north and been tbh loud and cocky about it so I told him to Fuck off back down south then if he dose not like it here

(sorry pointless story just some thing about him saying that about where I live am born and from really got to me)

There sure is a divide. But it doesn't have to be in a nasty context.

Each county has its qualities and each accent has its admirers. If we were all the same it wouldn't be a Great Britain.

» Add a new message to this topic