FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Lib Dems - an opportunity for them?

Lib Dems - an opportunity for them?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oo hot OP   Couple  over a year ago

North West

Just catching up with news from home and watched and read a bit about the LibDems conference.

Their Membership is now double that of UKIP and the trajectory is upwards. Fallon may not have the charisma of Nick Clegg but he is a likeable enough guy and when you look at what is happening to Labour, i wonder if this could be a great opportunity for the Lib Dems to make a serious comeback? Corbyn looks like he is better than very short odds to retain the Labour leadership and do where else can a moderate thinking centre left voter go?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

North West

Fallon lol

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

They just won a local council by-election here in Cardiff with a big swing from Labour. Only party fully United and talking sense IMHO...

Frankly his speech was a load of bollocks and I doubt they will do any better at the next election. People don't just vote for something for the sake of it, they just don't vote. And they haven't got the message on immigration which is a concern for the voters they are trying to attract, as thick as Labour are at least they understand that now.

Oh and don't get me started on the 2nd referendum nonsense. Asked to explain on the Politics Show how that would work and they hadn't got a clue

Lib Dems are not worth a debate, they will get no place, they are their own worst enemy.

"Lib Dems are not worth a debate, they will get no place, they are their own worst enemy."

agreed. They had the chance to take up some sensible middle ground and they've blown it already

North West

Each to their own opinion, but think you might be wrong there. I did a bit more research last night and their paid up Membership is now touching 80,000 and growing whereas the UKIP Memberdhip peaked at 39,000 and its trajectory is downwards. There must be a reason for that?

By *tillup4funMan  over a year ago

Wakefield

"Each to their own opinion, but think you might be wrong there. I did a bit more research last night and their paid up Membership is now touching 80,000 and growing whereas the UKIP Memberdhip peaked at 39,000 and its trajectory is downwards. There must be a reason for that?"

The main problem with all political parties is they don't listen to the people.

"Each to their own opinion, but think you might be wrong there. I did a bit more research last night and their paid up Membership is now touching 80,000 and growing whereas the UKIP Memberdhip peaked at 39,000 and its trajectory is downwards. There must be a reason for that?

The main problem with all political parties is they don't listen to the people. "

They do, it's just that they either know better or think they know better

the undemocratic party.

How does he have the neck to tell people they are thick and didn't understand the issues over brexit.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

see.... this is what winds me up about the 2nd referendum talk.... and those who want to shut it down...

they aren't talking about a 2nd referendum on the same topic... they are saying we should get some sort of say/vote on the final terms of the exit once they have been agreed...

i don't think that is an unreasonable standpoint to take....

I would prefer that in all honesty to be a general election, where again, we all get a vote...

Newcastle and Gateshead

if corbyn takes labour further to the left as it seems... and may takes the tories further to the ukip right.... there is a gaping gap in the middle the lib dems can take advantage..

I wonder how many disaffected labour supporters may defect after the result on saturday.......

"see.... this is what winds me up about the 2nd referendum talk.... and those who want to shut it down...

they aren't talking about a 2nd referendum on the same topic... they are saying we should get some sort of say/vote on the final terms of the exit once they have been agreed...

i don't think that is an unreasonable standpoint to take....

I would prefer that in all honesty to be a general election, where again, we all get a vote...

"

You might find that after article 50 has been invoked and 2 years of negotiations, some members of the EU might think that that is an unreasonable standpoint

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

You might find that after article 50 has been invoked and 2 years of negotiations, some members of the EU might think that that is an unreasonable standpoint"

without hijacking the original topic... do you then think the only people who should have a say on the final terms are those who negioated it?

"

You might find that after article 50 has been invoked and 2 years of negotiations, some members of the EU might think that that is an unreasonable standpoint

without hijacking the original topic... do you then think the only people who should have a say on the final terms are those who negioated it? "

Yes. Then we have the option to remove them at the following election if we don't like it

"Each to their own opinion, but think you might be wrong there. I did a bit more research last night and their paid up Membership is now touching 80,000 and growing whereas the UKIP Memberdhip peaked at 39,000 and its trajectory is downwards. There must be a reason for that?

The main problem with all political parties is they don't listen to the people. "

Why should they? Leadership isn't about pussyfooting around and taking a vote on everything. It's about saying "I'm going this way, do you want to come with me?"

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

Why should they? Leadership isn't about pussyfooting around and taking a vote on everything. It's about saying "I'm going this way, do you want to come with me?""

which is fine when the people do go with them but what happens when the arliamnetry party and the membership want to go seperate ways apart from becoming the current labour party and the torries pre brexit ?

Why should they? Leadership isn't about pussyfooting around and taking a vote on everything. It's about saying "I'm going this way, do you want to come with me?"which is fine when the people do go with them but what happens when the arliamnetry party and the membership want to go seperate ways apart from becoming the current labour party and the torries pre brexit ?"

Archeoloigical studies have conclusively shown a trend in human development for groups to form, expand and then splinter after they get too big. Humans did not evolve in large societies and therefore it's not in our nature. Which is not to say that it can't be done, just that it takes a lot of effort and balance. If effort and balance are not forthcoming then they should split.

By *rbane PlayerMan  over a year ago

London

Interesting posts all round. I hope the Libs focus on NHS reforms, Education, Housing and way more powers to the regions to control their own affairs. The problem is that the Libs are known for anything.

"Interesting posts all round. I hope the Libs focus on NHS reforms, Education, Housing and way more powers to the regions to control their own affairs. The problem is that the Libs are known for anything. "

Is there ever a year the NHS wasn't reforming?

Wakefield

Why should they? Leadership isn't about pussyfooting around and taking a vote on everything. It's about saying "I'm going this way, do you want to come with me?""

And we told them no we want to leave the EU.

Wakefield

Why should they? Leadership isn't about pussyfooting around and taking a vote on everything. It's about saying "I'm going this way, do you want to come with me?"which is fine when the people do go with them but what happens when the arliamnetry party and the membership want to go seperate ways apart from becoming the current labour party and the torries pre brexit ?

Archeoloigical studies have conclusively shown a trend in human development for groups to form, expand and then splinter after they get too big. Humans did not evolve in large societies and therefore it's not in our nature. Which is not to say that it can't be done, just that it takes a lot of effort and balance. If effort and balance are not forthcoming then they should split. "

Which is exactly what we are doing splitting from the EU.

Why should they? Leadership isn't about pussyfooting around and taking a vote on everything. It's about saying "I'm going this way, do you want to come with me?"

And we told them no we want to leave the EU. "

So don't vote Lib Dem, problem solved!

"

without hijacking the original topic... do you then think the only people who should have a say on the final terms are those who negioated it?

Yes. Then we have the option to remove them at the following election if we don't like it"

So you want a small minority led by a PM who actually wasn't elected to have control over arguably one of the most important points in modern British history. Wow, considering the vote leave campaign was all about greater democracy that doesn't sound very democratic to me.

And as for 'oh we can just vote them out' really, is it that simple? A lot of voters these days aren't loyal to a party, with labour perceived as weak and everyone else trying to work out what they stand for then May might hold it.

Plus, even if we voted them out, it's not like we, the 'little people' as Farage likes to call us, can undo it all. Whose to say the next PM would want to.

"

Yes. Then we have the option to remove them at the following election if we don't like it

So you want a small minority led by a PM who actually wasn't elected to have control over arguably one of the most important points in modern British history. Wow, considering the vote leave campaign was all about greater democracy that doesn't sound very democratic to me.

And as for 'oh we can just vote them out' really, is it that simple? A lot of voters these days aren't loyal to a party, with labour perceived as weak and everyone else trying to work out what they stand for then May might hold it.

Plus, even if we voted them out, it's not like we, the 'little people' as Farage likes to call us, can undo it all. Whose to say the next PM would want to."

Can you not see the contradictions in your post?

"

Plus, even if we voted them out, it's not like we, the 'little people' as Farage likes to call us, can undo it all. Whose to say the next PM would want to.

Can you not see the contradictions in your post? "

No not really, point them out to me.

"

Can you not see the contradictions in your post?

No not really, point them out to me."

the government was elected partly on the basis of holding a referendum and then whatever the outcome of that referendum negotiating the best deal for the people of the UK in whichever way they felt fit. The electorate knew that Cameron would be leaving during this Parliament but were still happy to vote for the Tories and all that that entailed with the processes of electing a new leader, that is democracy, nobody ever elects a PM.

As you say a lot of people aren't loyal to a party these days so if they don't like the deal that has been done by this government then why should they have any qualms about voting for another party? This is an important issue but some might feel there are more important issues and vote accordingly. That is their democratic right.

We the little people can undo things as Farage proved.

By *an_WoodMan  over a year ago

Stafford

The lib dems have an opportunity depending on how labour behave after Saturday as do UKIP. A credible narrative to sell for 2017 is what is missing if it's BREXIT light by May.

North West

Membership of Lib Dems up by 1,000 in last seven days and another surge expected after Corbyn victory.

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"Membership of Lib Dems up by 1,000 in last seven days and another surge expected after Corbyn victory."

All well and good but if membership numbers equated to an election result then Labour would be miles ahead in the polls. Oooops they're not.

As for the Limp Dims? Last time I looked they were still trying to find 100 things to put a penny on tax for.

» Add a new message to this topic