FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Why calais

Why calais

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Bit fick ere.. But why are people trying so hard at calais to get over here and not trying other ports like zeebroger in holland etc?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Shortest distance? Less security?Imagine hiding for a 13 hour ferry ride instead of 1 hour from Calais or 30 minutes on the Euro tunnel.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"Shortest distance? Less security?Imagine hiding for a 13 hour ferry ride instead of 1 hour from Calais or 30 minutes on the Euro tunnel."
ah right..

You can also wonder, why europe, when they can go to the countries surrounding theirs, such as dubai?

By *anes HubbyCouple  over a year ago

Babbacombe Torquay

[Removed by poster at 29/10/16 18:14:50]

Babbacombe Torquay

"You can also wonder, why europe, when they can go to the countries surrounding theirs, such as dubai?"

Dubai isn't a country, but not withstanding that no refugees are going to attempt to walk across the deserts of Saudi Arabia to get to the city of Dubai, which is in the United Arab Emirates.

"You can also wonder, why europe, when they can go to the countries surrounding theirs, such as dubai?

Dubai isn't a country, but not withstanding that no refugees are going to attempt to walk across the deserts of Saudi Arabia to get to the city of Dubai, which is in the United Arab Emirates."

That is right, its not, it is a city, but yeah, isnt it longer to get to france tho? There must be some help for them nearby or as I reckon, they select the country that have the best welfare system.

Babbacombe Torquay

"You can also wonder, why europe, when they can go to the countries surrounding theirs, such as dubai?

Dubai isn't a country, but not withstanding that no refugees are going to attempt to walk across the deserts of Saudi Arabia to get to the city of Dubai, which is in the United Arab Emirates.That is right, its not, it is a city, but yeah, isnt it longer to get to france tho? There must be some help for them nearby or as I reckon, they select the country that have the best welfare system."

The vast majority are settling in Germany, followed by Italy, Holland, Sweden, and France....

Contrary to what the tabloid press tells us Britain isn't the favoured destination of the majority of migrants coming into the EU.

Babbacombe Torquay

In fact the vast majority of refugees from Syria, Iraq, and Afghanistan go no further than Jordan or Turkey.

Dubai isn't a country, but not withstanding that no refugees are going to attempt to walk across the deserts of Saudi Arabia to get to the city of Dubai, which is in the United Arab Emirates.That is right, its not, it is a city, but yeah, isnt it longer to get to france tho? There must be some help for them nearby or as I reckon, they select the country that have the best welfare system.

The vast majority are settling in Germany, followed by Italy, Holland, Sweden, and France....

Contrary to what the tabloid press tells us Britain isn't the favoured destination of the majority of migrants coming into the EU."

That is right and sweden have the highest amount per capita and yeah sometimes propaganda news makes out how it is not telling the whole truth about the state of the situation.

Babbacombe Torquay

The economic migrants from central Africa also generally come through Libya, which in itself is one bloody great minefield of a place, many thousands are robbed and many left dead on the sides of the roads.

They then set out on inflatables from Libya towards the Italian coast, those that make it or are picked up from the seas disperse around Europe, but once again most prefer Germany and Sweden as they perceive employment chances are better there......the guy that was found in the Channel Tunnel supposedly told officials he had walked across Europe from Italy without any transport and in Eleven months....that's one hell of a hike!

"You can also wonder, why europe, when they can go to the countries surrounding theirs, such as dubai?"

Most migrants are trying to escape Muslim countries ! Not get to one !

Plus the rich Muslim countries don't want them ! They only want Rich western money !

Babbacombe Torquay

I think most economic migrants, which seem to be making up the majority of those entering Europe, are not escaping Islam....they are escaping poverty, war, hunger, and despair of having no decent future.

[Removed by poster at 29/10/16 18:55:07]

"In fact the vast majority of refugees from Syria, Iraq, and Afghanistan go no further than Jordan or Turkey."

"I think most economic migrants, which seem to be making up the majority of those entering Europe, are not escaping Islam....they are escaping poverty, war, hunger, and despair of having no decent future.

"

That is right, is it just me or where is the women? It is mostly just the men you see.

Most migrants are trying to escape Muslim countries ! Not get to one !

Plus the rich Muslim countries don't want them ! They only want Rich western money ! "

That is right too and as well, they are not known for their human rights.

Babbacombe Torquay

"I think most economic migrants, which seem to be making up the majority of those entering Europe, are not escaping Islam....they are escaping poverty, war, hunger, and despair of having no decent future.

That is right, is it just me or where is the women? It is mostly just the men you see."

Yes the men are seen as the breadwinners in many areas of African culture, they are also the family members who were often being forced to fight their pointless wars.

African migrants in Europe send their families back home hundreds of millions of pounds every year, the money transfer agencies in Britain and the rest of Europe have made an industry out of money wiring to Africa.

By *oyce69Man  over a year ago

Driffield

"

African migrants in Europe send their families back home hundreds of millions of pounds every year, the money transfer agencies in Britain and the rest of Europe have made an industry out of money wiring to Africa."

Yes, hundreds of millions of pounds that isn't being spent in Britain to help our economy.

But why arnt the rich Muslim countries helping more ?

And what help does China ever offer ?

Babbacombe Torquay

"

African migrants in Europe send their families back home hundreds of millions of pounds every year, the money transfer agencies in Britain and the rest of Europe have made an industry out of money wiring to Africa.

Yes, hundreds of millions of pounds that isn't being spent in Britain to help our economy.

"

It's no different than the money sent home from Brits working in the Oil industry in Norway, or the Niger Delta, or the many Brits living and working in Dubai, or the many Brits working in security all very the Middle East and Africa.....let's remember it works both ways

"

It's no different than the money sent home from Brits working in the Oil industry in Norway, or the Niger Delta, or the many Brits living and working in Dubai, or the many Brits working in security all very the Middle East and Africa.....let's remember it works both ways"

Fair point !

Babbacombe Torquay

"But why arnt the rich Muslim countries helping more ?

And what help does China ever offer ? "

Jordan has taken in hundreds of thousands of refugees.....as has Turkey....as has Lebanon...

[qte] But why arnt the rich Muslim countries helping more ?

Jordan has taken in hundreds of thousands of refugees.....as has Turkey....as has Lebanon...[/quote

Yes ! But what about Saudi Arabia , United Arab Emerates , Kuwait ?

And other non Muslim rich country's like Japan , China and what about Russia ?

Babbacombe Torquay

[Removed by poster at 29/10/16 21:01:11]

Babbacombe Torquay

"[qte] But why arnt the rich Muslim countries helping more ?

Jordan has taken in hundreds of thousands of refugees.....as has Turkey....as has Lebanon...[/quote

Yes ! But what about Saudi Arabia , United Arab Emerates , Kuwait ?

And other non Muslim rich country's like Japan , China and what about Russia ? "

Do you know that Saudi Arabia, UAE, and Kuwait aren't?.....I'm not sure.

Russia are contributing cluster bombs to the Syrian refugee population though, they drop them in with food parcels.

Babbacombe Torquay

I do know that many of the Arab states have never signed the 1952 UN accord on refugees, but Kuwait, Saudi, and UAE are big financial contributors to refugee camps in Turkey and Jordan.

Incidentally.....during WW2 Syria took in more European refugees fleeing the war than most other nations in the world.

"I do know that many of the Arab states have never signed the 1952 UN accord on refugees, but Kuwait, Saudi, and UAE are big financial contributors to refugee camps in Turkey and Jordan.

Incidentally.....during WW2 Syria took in more European refugees fleeing the war than most other nations in the world."

Ok , but my point is ? Is that there are a lot of country's that could help but don't !

By *at69driveMan  over a year ago

Wisbech and A47 corridor

"

It's no different than the money sent home from Brits working in the Oil industry in Norway, or the Niger Delta, or the many Brits living and working in Dubai, or the many Brits working in security all very the Middle East and Africa.....let's remember it works both ways"

It may work both ways but I am reaonable confident that Brits working abroad are in well paid roles and as such contribute to the local economy . I would suspect that those working in Britain and sending money home are contributing little to the local economy if they can afford to send money home .

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

It's no different than the money sent home from Brits working in the Oil industry in Norway, or the Niger Delta, or the many Brits living and working in Dubai, or the many Brits working in security all very the Middle East and Africa.....let's remember it works both ways It may work both ways but I am reaonable confident that Brits working abroad are in well paid roles and as such contribute to the local economy . I would suspect that those working in Britain and sending money home are contributing little to the local economy if they can afford to send money home . "

I would suspect your talking tosh again Pat based on nothing more than ignorance..

how do they eat, fuel cars, buy clothes, shoes, furniture, white goods etc ..

oh yes they buy locally..

toys, entertainment and leasure too..

Wisbech and A47 corridor

"

It's no different than the money sent home from Brits working in the Oil industry in Norway, or the Niger Delta, or the many Brits living and working in Dubai, or the many Brits working in security all very the Middle East and Africa.....let's remember it works both ways It may work both ways but I am reaonable confident that Brits working abroad are in well paid roles and as such contribute to the local economy . I would suspect that those working in Britain and sending money home are contributing little to the local economy if they can afford to send money home .

I would suspect your talking tosh again Pat based on nothing more than ignorance..

"

Or possibly because I have had day to day contact with some people in that situation and am in a postition to assess how they spend their money.

Luckily I have never had to use the words tosh and ignorance . The use of such terms is usually a reflection on the person posting such terms , not the recipient of them.

in Lancashire

"

It's no different than the money sent home from Brits working in the Oil industry in Norway, or the Niger Delta, or the many Brits living and working in Dubai, or the many Brits working in security all very the Middle East and Africa.....let's remember it works both ways It may work both ways but I am reaonable confident that Brits working abroad are in well paid roles and as such contribute to the local economy . I would suspect that those working in Britain and sending money home are contributing little to the local economy if they can afford to send money home .

Or possibly because I have had day to day contact with some people in that situation and am in a postition to assess how they spend their money.

Luckily I have never had to use the words tosh and ignorance . The use of such terms is usually a reflection on the person posting such terms , not the recipient of them. "

its called speaking plainly..

as plainly as I think you are talking bollocks with your example you state..

flannel it up as much as you like but its bullshit to hide that your post above is based on prejudice..

Wisbech and A47 corridor

"

Luckily I have never had to use the words tosh and ignorance . The use of such terms is usually a reflection on the person posting such terms , not the recipient of them.

flannel it up as much as you like but its bullshit to hide that your post above is based on prejudice..

"

If someone makes a decision based on economic facts and day to day experiences in life it is hardly prejudice .

I prefer to make my judgements in life based on what I see happening . Luckily I get the chance to travel around and mix with a wide variety of people so am satisfied with the rationale behind most decisions .

Ironically those who try to make points about prejudice I have always found to be very blinkered indivividuals . I am not saying that you are , it is just a general observation.

"

Sent home!!!!

How do you think oil workers in Norway get paid??

straight into UK bank account

in Lancashire

"

If someone makes a decision based on economic facts and day to day experiences in life it is hardly prejudice .

I prefer to make my judgements in life based on what I see happening . Luckily I get the chance to travel around and mix with a wide variety of people so am satisfied with the rationale behind most decisions .

Ironically those who try to make points about prejudice I have always found to be very blinkered indivividuals . I am not saying that you are , it is just a general observation. "

Make your mind up, initially you were 'reasonably confident' and you suspected then you moved on to day to day contact with some people and therefore able to assess and now its 'facts' based on more day to day contact and travelling around..

it simply looks like (and you have previous as the ID card and other threads have shown) of making assertions or facts with no facts to support the issue..

if indeed you are a jet setting economist carrying out a thesis on how much migrant workers spend locally and which takes you to various parts of the globe as mentioned and of course other's too then I shall upon seeing something to validate that apologise to you..

till then my gut instinct remains..

over to you..?

Babbacombe Torquay

"

It's no different than the money sent home from Brits working in the Oil industry in Norway, or the Niger Delta, or the many Brits living and working in Dubai, or the many Brits working in security all very the Middle East and Africa.....let's remember it works both ways

Sent home!!!!

How do you think oil workers in Norway get paid??

straight into UK bank account"

Once again you are arguing a point for the sake of it.....the vast majority of wages earned overseas by British workers gets spent back in Britain, whether it gets paid into British bank accounts or not.

As I've said on here before our daughter works in Dubai, she currently has a Four year contract and at the end of that second contract she intends to return home and purchase a property with that money.....it's commonplace.

Babbacombe Torquay

"

It's no different than the money sent home from Brits working in the Oil industry in Norway, or the Niger Delta, or the many Brits living and working in Dubai, or the many Brits working in security all very the Middle East and Africa.....let's remember it works both ways It may work both ways but I am reaonable confident that Brits working abroad are in well paid roles and as such contribute to the local economy . I would suspect that those working in Britain and sending money home are contributing little to the local economy if they can afford to send money home . "

Makes you wonder how they pay their rents....buy food....clothes...travel then

Wisbech and A47 corridor

"

Makes you wonder how they pay their rents....buy food....clothes...travel then"

I am referring to the disposable income after the expenses to which you refer have been paid. I had thought that it should be obvious that people have to pay the expenses to which you refer. Sending the residual income to another country is of no benefit to the UK.

Babbacombe Torquay

"

Makes you wonder how they pay their rents....buy food....clothes...travel then I am referring to the disposable income after the expenses to which you refer have been paid. I had thought that it should be obvious that people have to pay the expenses to which you refer. Sending the residual income to another country is of no benefit to the UK. "

You are correct, residual income sent home is of no benefit to the UK....but as I've said,it works both ways as many Brits work overseas, and in all probability earn far more than migrants here on average as most migrants in the UK work in unskilled employment whereas Brits working overseas are in the main in skilled positions.

Wisbech and A47 corridor

I , and was unaware this it was necessary to carry out a thesis on certain topics in order to be able to form an opinion.

Everyone is entitled to express opinions based on day to day contact with people , items in the news, and the results of published research .

I remain confident that my view represents that of between 40 % and 50 % of UK residents .

Consequently , I am always happy to listen to the arguments of others and would never expect everyone to agree with an opinion expressed .

I am however glad that I have never deemed it necessary to refer to any other members post or comments as tosh .

I consider such comments such as the use of the word tosh to be ill mannered and a reflection on the author using the word , not the recipient of it .

I value good manners and being polite very highly .

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"I , and was unaware this it was necessary to carry out a thesis on certain topics in order to be able to form an opinion.

Everyone is entitled to express opinions based on day to day contact with people , items in the news, and the results of published research .

I remain confident that my view represents that of between 40 % and 50 % of UK residents .

Consequently , I am always happy to listen to the arguments of others and would never expect everyone to agree with an opinion expressed .

I am however glad that I have never deemed it necessary to refer to any other members post or comments as tosh .

I consider such comments such as the use of the word tosh to be ill mannered and a reflection on the author using the word , not the recipient of it .

I value good manners and being polite very highly . "

okay.... so let me ask a question because this is getting very personal to what my mum did....

would you then, look down on my mother, because she spent her time helping people in THIS country, but took some of the money she earned, and sent it back to montserrat to help look after my nan?

because I took over and did exactly the same thing when she passed..... and i still send money to help my aunt from time to time....

i don't begrudge eastern europeans who do the same thing....

and i bet you would be surprised at how many brits who live abroad send money back from where they happen to be living or earning???

Dubai isn't a country, but not withstanding that no refugees are going to attempt to walk across the deserts of Saudi Arabia to get to the city of Dubai, which is in the United Arab Emirates."

. Saudi Arabia has cities already built that could house tens of millions of Muslim refugees, upto now they've offered generous monetary reward for other country's to hold them instead!

There's seems to be a common theme repeated that immigration is a sign of economic prosperity and in many ways it is.

However if you look at Poland's demographics from 1960 through to 1995 there population went from 30 to 40 million after 2000 it pretty much either flat lined or dipped while they're economic prosperity went up, even today they expect 3%to 4% growth per year!.

They certainly seem to buck this trend that you need immigration and a growing population to increase your GDP growth?

in Lancashire

"I , and was unaware this it was necessary to carry out a thesis on certain topics in order to be able to form an opinion.

absolutely right that we debate and not get personal, also right that if we make up shit or embellish or state 'facts' as a way of giving our opinion gravitas then those 'facts' will be open to scrutiny..

when someone can't then back up their facts with anything it is an opinion yes but its an opinion without credibility and becomes more about something else and in this thread that has to be a prejudice towards migrants..

migrants who are here working and contributing to the economy of the country, anyone with any objectivity would welcome and applaud that fact..

unless they are prejudiced..

would you prefer vacuous hyperbole instead of flannel and tosh, end of the day its all the same..

in Lancashire

and just what is the 40 to 50%?

another pluck it from the air soundbite..

what are you basing this figure upon, can you link to any survey's that indicate this..?

Wisbech and A47 corridor

what are you basing this figure upon, can you link to any survey's that indicate this..?

"

Based on election results and comments in various newspapers which I read . Election and referendum results are hardly just plucked from thin air .

Wisbech and A47 corridor

okay.... so let me ask a question because this is getting very personal to what my mum did....

would you then, look down on my mother, because she spent her time helping people in THIS country, but took some of the money she earned, and sent it back to montserrat to help look after my nan?

because I took over and did exactly the same thing when she passed..... and i still send money to help my aunt from time to time....

i don't begrudge eastern europeans who do the same thing....

and i bet you would be surprised at how many brits who live abroad send money back from where they happen to be living or earning??? "

In both the examples to which you refer this was on small scale and irrelevant to the local economy .

The problem arises due to the much greater scale in recent years.

It is admirable to send money to your family if only a small number of people are doing it .

We now however have the scenario where child benefit is being claimed for children who do not ever live here.

in Lancashire

Based on election results and comments in various newspapers which I read . Election and referendum results are hardly just plucked from thin air . "

there was a referendum on what people think about migrants sending some of their own money out of the UK?

must have missed it..

by any chance did these newspapers give a link to what they were basing their comments upon, which ones by the way?

Wisbech and A47 corridor

absolutely right that we debate and not get personal, also right that if we make up shit or embellish or state 'facts' as a way of giving our opinion gravitas then those 'facts' will be open to scrutiny..

when someone can't then back up their facts with anything it is an opinion yes but its an opinion without credibility and becomes more about something else and in this thread that has to be a prejudice towards migrants..

migrants who are here working and contributing to the economy of the country, anyone with any objectivity would welcome and applaud that fact..

unless they are prejudiced..

would you prefer vacuous hyperbole instead of flannel and tosh, end of the day its all the same..

"

The other side of the arguement is that anyone who is opened minded and not prejudiced ( to use your terminolgy , though I am at a loss to understand how you came the conclusion that expressing a view on withdrawing money from the UK economy is prejudiced ) ) is confident to express their views because they know that they treat everyone equally and are not prepared to be blackmailed aginst expressing an opinion.

In my case I speak to the people to which you refer evetyday.

Babbacombe Torquay

Dubai isn't a country, but not withstanding that no refugees are going to attempt to walk across the deserts of Saudi Arabia to get to the city of Dubai, which is in the United Arab Emirates.. Saudi Arabia has cities already built that could house tens of millions of Muslim refugees, upto now they've offered generous monetary reward for other country's to hold them instead!"

As I said previously, most of the Gulf states didn't recognise the UN accord on refugees over 60 years ago, they instead pay countries like Turkey and Jordan to do it.

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

".the guy that was found in the Channel Tunnel supposedly told officials he had walked across Europe from Italy without any transport and in Eleven months....that's one hell of a hike!"

It is a long way, but far from impossible. It works out at less than 5 miles per day. I do more than that at work every day.

» Add a new message to this topic