FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > The Electoral College

The Electoral College

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *LCC OP   Couple  over a year ago

Cambridge

Does anyone think that the electoral college system is a good way to chose a president?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

No!

The whole point of the electoral college was to ensure that it was the rich and powerful made the political decisions rather than the people. Fact is that although in some states it is state law that electoral collage members must vote in accordance with the voters wishes, that is not the law in all states and is not federal law. Therefore college members can elect who they like regardless of how the people vote.

Nothing democratic in that system at all. But the yanks like it along with their second amendment right to the highest gun crime in the world outside countries fighting civil wars and the right not to be able to afford medical care in the richest country in the world.

By *LCC OP   Couple  over a year ago

Cambridge

"No!

The whole point of the electoral college was to ensure that it was the rich and powerful made the political decisions rather than the people. Fact is that although in some states it is state law that electoral collage members must vote in accordance with the voters wishes, that is not the law in all states and is not federal law. Therefore college members can elect who they like regardless of how the people vote.

Nothing democratic in that system at all. But the yanks like it along with their second amendment right to the highest gun crime in the world outside countries fighting civil wars and the right not to be able to afford medical care in the richest country in the world."

And members of the college have been known to vote for people who aren't even running!

moston

"And members of the college have been known to vote for people who aren't even running! "

when I was reading about how the electoral college came into being it was clear that the system was designed so that the great and the good would always have the right to reject any candidate and impose a president on the people if they felt it necessary. I came to the conclusion that although the American War of Independence was justified on the grounds of "no taxation without representation" and to free the colonists from the tyranny of dictatorship of the English Crown. It was not dictatorship that was to be removed but the Crown and that those who planned to take the Crowns place realised that they would have to con the colonists into believing they had won freedom or they too would be removed.

Seems they were extremely good conmen to the point their con continues today.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"No!

Nothing democratic in that system at all. But the yanks like it along with their second amendment right to the highest gun crime in the world outside countries fighting civil wars and the right not to be able to afford medical care in the richest country in the world."

tecnhincally you could say it is actually more democratic than "First past the post is in the UK......

because at least the number of votes assigned to a particular state is based on the size of that state's population... its the "winner gets all state college votes" part of the process that is the least democratic....

moston

"tecnhincally you could say it is actually more democratic than "First past the post is in the UK......

because at least the number of votes assigned to a particular state is based on the size of that state's population... its the "winner gets all state college votes" part of the process that is the least democratic....

"

I would never call 'first past the post' democratic. However at least with first past the post the person who gets the most votes is elected, no one has person or group can overturn the electors choice. Fact is that it is not a federal offence for the members of the electoral college to select anyone regardless of the presidential election results as US president.

Now I accept that this will not happen, but it could and that is why the US electoral college system is not democratic.

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

The first thing they need to change is the way the candidates are chosen in the first place

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"tecnhincally you could say it is actually more democratic than "First past the post is in the UK......

I would never call 'first past the post' democratic. However at least with first past the post the person who gets the most votes is elected, no one has person or group can overturn the electors choice. Fact is that it is not a federal offence for the members of the electoral college to select anyone regardless of the presidential election results as US president.

Now I accept that this will not happen, but it could and that is why the US electoral college system is not democratic."

i wondered if this was true about first past the post....

it seems to be not... it has happened twice! In 1951 (Tory) and in February 1974 (Labour), the nation voted in governments that had less people vote for them but won more seats than their opponents

looking for the us... 2000 where gore got more votes than bush jr.... but other than that last time it happened was 1888!

so.... naaaaaaa!!!!!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No, I have no faith in the electoral college. Although I do see the need to balance the sovereignty of the federal government with the sovereignty of the several states. I've heard a number of people offer other solutions. I think it will change one day in the U.S.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No !

All elections should be P R !

Mall votes to be equally important !

» Add a new message to this topic