FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Ms May is privatising 60% of BBC radio.

Ms May is privatising 60% of BBC radio.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *illwill69u OP   Man  over a year ago

moston

Theresa May has dropped a privatisation bombshell on the BBC. As part of its new charter, our public service broadcaster has now agreed to privatise the majority of BBC radio, at 60%.

How do we all feel about that?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Good, and hopefully one day the whole corporation will be privatised, and the TV Licence (licence to print money scam) will become a thing of the past.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Sad but a reality of life

It's hard to care about this

Does this mean commercial adverts ?

moston

"It's hard to care about this "

Yep...

There we are the voice of considered reason.

It is hard to care about the only broadcaster that does not rely on the patronship of big business or is owned and used as a propaganda for a vested interest is being sold off to those very vested interests.

Of course the fact that this announcement was slipped out by the government when all eyes are turned to the developing constitutional crisis is just one of those things.

By *rincessvenusCouple  over a year ago

Hull

we already commision over 75 per cent of programms so you could say were nearly thereall made by x employees like myself

By *candiumWoman  over a year ago

oban

Hadn't heard this. Disappointed but not surprised. I couldn't live without radio 4.

By *ax777Man  over a year ago

Not here

[Removed by poster at 05/11/16 00:43:09]

Not here

"Theresa May has dropped a privatisation bombshell on the BBC. As part of its new charter, our public service broadcaster has now agreed to privatise the majority of BBC radio, at 60%.

How do we all feel about that?"

Can you please advise as to where this information can be found? I can't find anything to corroborate your claim.

moston

"Can you please advise as to where this information can be found? I can't find anything to corroborate your claim."

It is in the agreed terms of the next BBC charter published today.

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

Privatising 60% is very sad.

They should privatise the whole fucking thing and be done.

By *at69driveMan  over a year ago

Wisbech and A47 corridor

"Theresa May has dropped a privatisation bombshell on the BBC. As part of its new charter, our public service broadcaster has now agreed to privatise the majority of BBC radio, at 60%.

How do we all feel about that?"

Great news. I resent paying tbem over £900 per annum on a number of houses. Their stance always seems very biased.

I will not miss them.

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"Privatising 60% is very sad.

They should privatise the whole fucking thing and be done."

Completely agree, I'm disappointed it is not 100% privatisation. The BBC licence fee is outdated and needs to be abolished.

When they take a licence fee from the general population they should be completely neutral, fair and balanced coverage of the news and its other programming but its been apparent now for a number of years that the BBC is extremely biased in some of its views and the way it reports things.

I always think it's funny that those who claim the BBC is biased all seem to have extreme views!

Is the BBC biased? No. It goes out of it's way not to be. In fact, this is one of the issues I have with it, it can sometimes seem to give equal weight to views that can't be factually correct, talking about science matters for example.

But then people who say the BBC is biased but who like to read a newspaper? WTF? Are there any papers that aren't biased? And before you have a go at me for this statement, take a look at the disgraceful and disgustingly biased and factually incorrect headlines on Thursday!

"I always think it's funny that those who claim the BBC is biased all seem to have extreme views!

Is the BBC biased? No. It goes out of it's way not to be. In fact, this is one of the issues I have with it, it can sometimes seem to give equal weight to views that can't be factually correct, talking about science matters for example.

But then people who say the BBC is biased but who like to read a newspaper? WTF? Are there any papers that aren't biased? And before you have a go at me for this statement, take a look at the disgraceful and disgustingly biased and factually incorrect headlines on Thursday!"

one question - when there has been bad news since the referendum it is BECAUSE of Brexit, yet when there is good news it is DESPITE Brexit. Why is that do you think?

Not here

"Can you please advise as to where this information can be found? I can't find anything to corroborate your claim.

It is in the agreed terms of the next BBC charter published today."

OK, so what you mean is that the BBC is being required to increase the level of national radio output that is commissioned from independent companies via competitive tendering from its current level of at least 20% to at least 60% by the end of 2022?

I doubt that Theresa May dropped "this privatisation bombshell" as the terms of the renewed charter were being negotiated well before she became PM

Cannock

"I always think it's funny that those who claim the BBC is biased all seem to have extreme views!

But then people who say the BBC is biased but who like to read a newspaper? WTF? Are there any papers that aren't biased? And before you have a go at me for this statement, take a look at the disgraceful and disgustingly biased and factually incorrect headlines on Thursday!

one question - when there has been bad news since the referendum it is BECAUSE of Brexit, yet when there is good news it is DESPITE Brexit. Why is that do you think?"

That or they just don't bother to report on it at all. Take the Jeremy vine show on BBC radio 2 for example, I listen to is almost every day at work. When there is bad economic news Jeremy Vine does a debate section on it, (and most of the time blames Brexit), when there is good economic news he decides to talk about Ghost signs or some obscure disease which only 0.00000009% of the population suffer from, it is a joke.

"Can you please advise as to where this information can be found? I can't find anything to corroborate your claim.

It is in the agreed terms of the next BBC charter published today.

OK, so what you mean is that the BBC is being required to increase the level of national radio output that is commissioned from independent companies via competitive tendering from its current level of at least 20% to at least 60% by the end of 2022?

I doubt that Theresa May dropped "this privatisation bombshell" as the terms of the renewed charter were being negotiated well before she became PM"

Good gods man, don't let facts get in the way!

moston

"OK, so what you mean is that the BBC is being required to increase the level of national radio output that is commissioned from independent companies via competitive tendering from its current level of at least 20% to at least 60% by the end of 2022?

I doubt that Theresa May dropped "this privatisation bombshell" as the terms of the renewed charter were being negotiated well before she became PM"

Really, you don't find it just a little disturbing that the news of another sell off of British assets held in trust by the government has been slipped out when all the news media is fully occupied with a storm whipped up by the media (who are the ones to benefit from this sell off) over a very simple and uncontroversial ruling in constitutional law?

Of course that it continues the Tory business of transferring the countries wealth to a small privileged minority really is not surprising, considering that the Tories believe that everything should be run for profit and nothing should be run by the British government for the benefit of the British people. Of course it is perfectly OK for foreign governments to run British services for the benefit of their countries and to use British taxpayers money to subsidise their government owned services.

Wisbech and A47 corridor

But then people who say the BBC is biased but who like to read a newspaper? WTF? Are there any papers that aren't biased? And before you have a go at me for this statement, take a look at the disgraceful and disgustingly biased and factually incorrect headlines on Thursday!"

The big difference is that no one is compelled to buy a newspaper. If someone dislikes a newspaper , they simply stop buying it and the paper ceases to exist.

Time has moved on and we now have pay tv.

Anyone who likes the bbc can take out a subscription to it.

When it becomes a pay tv channel if we miss it , we can simply take out a subscription.

I currently have to pay for five licences and resent paying money to an organisation which is highly biased . If I want to hear left wing propaganda , I am capable of buying tbe Guardian or taking out a subscription to the Labour party.

The TV license is from a bygone era .

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

The tv licence may not be everyone's idea of impartiality but look over the pond or in other countries and there are prime examples of massively biased media often owned by people who are not accountable to anyone but their shareholders..

the BBC can be held to account..

on the cost, it is fantastic value compared to some of its less quality opponents who seek market control and have an agenda to try and undermine at any opportunity..

there are some people who rely on the service it provides across all media who the price of the subscription providers would be too much, and they would be disenfranchised..

in Lancashire

But then people who say the BBC is biased but who like to read a newspaper? WTF? Are there any papers that aren't biased? And before you have a go at me for this statement, take a look at the disgraceful and disgustingly biased and factually incorrect headlines on Thursday! The big difference is that no one is compelled to buy a newspaper. If someone dislikes a newspaper , they simply stop buying it and the paper ceases to exist.

When it becomes a pay tv channel if we miss it , we can simply take out a subscription.

I currently have to pay for five licences and resent paying money to an organisation which is highly biased . If I want to hear left wing propaganda , I am capable of buying tbe Guardian or taking out a subscription to the Labour party.

The TV license is from a bygone era . "

why do you have to pay it?

surely its a cost you can pass on to the people whom are using it?

Cannock

But then people who say the BBC is biased but who like to read a newspaper? WTF? Are there any papers that aren't biased? And before you have a go at me for this statement, take a look at the disgraceful and disgustingly biased and factually incorrect headlines on Thursday! The big difference is that no one is compelled to buy a newspaper. If someone dislikes a newspaper , they simply stop buying it and the paper ceases to exist.

The TV license is from a bygone era . "

I agree and if the BBC changed to a subscription service I certainly wouldn't pay for it just like I chose not to buy the Guardian newspaper.

How do we all feel about that? Great news. I resent paying tbem over £900 per annum on a number of houses. Their stance always seems very biased.

I will not miss them. "

the BBC already advertises, the one show has anyone and everyone promoting gigs or books.get rid of the licence .

Not here

"OK, so what you mean is that the BBC is being required to increase the level of national radio output that is commissioned from independent companies via competitive tendering from its current level of at least 20% to at least 60% by the end of 2022?

I doubt that Theresa May dropped "this privatisation bombshell" as the terms of the renewed charter were being negotiated well before she became PM

Really, you don't find it just a little disturbing that the news of another sell off of British assets held in trust by the government has been slipped out when all the news media is fully occupied with a storm whipped up by the media (who are the ones to benefit from this sell off) over a very simple and uncontroversial ruling in constitutional law?

Of course that it continues the Tory business of transferring the countries wealth to a small privileged minority really is not surprising, considering that the Tories believe that everything should be run for profit and nothing should be run by the British government for the benefit of the British people. Of course it is perfectly OK for foreign governments to run British services for the benefit of their countries and to use British taxpayers money to subsidise their government owned services. "

Which assets are being sold off? It's all about ensuring that the licence fee payers receive value for their money. As for it being 'slipped out' it's there for all to see in the draft agreement dated September 2016. This is the relevant section.

7. Television, radio and online production

(1) The BBC must secure competition between BBC producers and external producers (whether independent producers or not) as follows-

in relation to making relevant television programmes-

(i) the BBC must secure competition for at least 40% of the in-house

guarantee and 100% of the WOCC by 31st December 2018; and

(ii) the BBC must secure competition for 100% of the in-house guarantee

and 100% of the WOCC by 31st December 2027;

in relation to making relevant radio programmes the BBC must secure competition for at least 60% of Total Relevant Broadcasting Time by 31st December 2022; and

the BBC must secure competition for 100% of relevant online material by 31st December 2027.

Of course that it continues the Tory business of transferring the countries wealth to a small privileged minority really is not surprising, considering that the Tories believe that everything should be run for profit and nothing should be run by the British government for the benefit of the British people. Of course it is perfectly OK for foreign governments to run British services for the benefit of their countries and to use British taxpayers money to subsidise their government owned services.

Which assets are being sold off? It's all about ensuring that the licence fee payers receive value for their money. As for it being 'slipped out' it's there for all to see in the draft agreement dated September 2016. This is the relevant section.

7. Television, radio and online production

(1) The BBC must secure competition between BBC producers and external producers (whether independent producers or not) as follows-

in relation to making relevant television programmes-

(i) the BBC must secure competition for at least 40% of the in-house

guarantee and 100% of the WOCC by 31st December 2018; and

(ii) the BBC must secure competition for 100% of the in-house guarantee

and 100% of the WOCC by 31st December 2027;

in relation to making relevant radio programmes the BBC must secure competition for at least 60% of Total Relevant Broadcasting Time by 31st December 2022; and

the BBC must secure competition for 100% of relevant online material by 31st December 2027."

Not more facts?

I told you before about this!

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

I happened to catch newsnight oneday this which had a part on the US election interviewing some author about trump and how bad he was, now I am no fan of the man but the interviewer was so biased against trump it was cringe worthy,no mention of the things clinton is alledged to have done at all,where was the balance and opposing view, I have no problems with bias from media which is ownedby individuals as we all can choose what we watch but the bbc is meant to be totally independant,it has become a disgrace

Wisbech and A47 corridor

"The tv licence may not be everyone's idea of impartiality but look over the pond or in other countries and there are prime examples of massively biased media often owned by people who are not accountable to anyone but their shareholders..

on the cost, it is fantastic value compared to some of its less quality opponents who seek market control and have an agenda to try and undermine at any opportunity..

there are some people who rely on the service it provides across all media who the price of the subscription providers would be too much, and they would be disenfranchised..

"

I fail to see how the BBC can be held to account .

For most companies if you do not like their service , you switch to another provider .

In the case of the BBC you have no choice but to buy a licence .

People used to be sent to prison for failing to pay , though I think that failing to have a licence will shortly be de criminalised .

Under the curreny system we are unable to hold the BBC to account unless we want to end up in prison.

Wisbech and A47 corridor

"Privatising 60% is very sad.

They should privatise the whole fucking thing and be done."

in Lancashire

"The tv licence may not be everyone's idea of impartiality but look over the pond or in other countries and there are prime examples of massively biased media often owned by people who are not accountable to anyone but their shareholders..

For most companies if you do not like their service , you switch to another provider .

People used to be sent to prison for failing to pay , though I think that failing to have a licence will shortly be de criminalised .

Under the curreny system we are unable to hold the BBC to account unless we want to end up in prison."

BBC trust and ultimately the charter..

think sending someone to prison for not paying a fine or the tv licence has always seemed a bit archaic and costly to the public purse, other sanctions in the community perhaps..

"It's hard to care about this "

I prey this isn't a dry run for privatising the NHS

The B B C is left wing biased , I challenge anyone to argue it isn't !!!!

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

actually i think it is quite sad, because i am a fan of bbc local radio and at a local level i think they actually do a good job....

at a national level because of commercial competition i don for example question the existance of a radio 1... or a radio 3 (where classic for example do a good job)

i'd keep 2,4 and 5 though.......

Under the curreny system we are unable to hold the BBC to account unless we want to end up in prison."

nobody forces you to read a newspaper be it online or otherwise so don't pay for one

similarly nobody forces you to watch live tv or bbc on the iplayer so don't pay for a licence

if you want to watch then just stop whining and pay your dues

..... and your five licences are tax deductable as a residential landlord so i reckon your trying to deceive other forumites with that one pat

Just look what they did to CLARKSON...disgraceful...

The sooner they sell off the whole fucking thing the better.

I resent being compulsory made to pay for something I don't fucking use

"The sooner they sell off the whole fucking thing the better.

I resent being compulsory made to pay for something I don't fucking use "

again .... if you don't use it nobody's making you pay ..... if you watch live tv or iplayer then stop whining and pay your dues .... simple

Cannock

"The sooner they sell off the whole fucking thing the better.

I resent being compulsory made to pay for something I don't fucking use

again .... if you don't use it nobody's making you pay ..... if you watch live tv or iplayer then stop whining and pay your dues .... simple"

If you want to own a television then you must get a TV licence. Even if I chose not to watch the BBC on it and I only watch itv I still have to pay the license fee. It's a backwards, old fashioned and out of date way to do things in the modern age we live in. The modern way forward are subscription based services, the TV licence fee should be abolished. Time for the BBC to modernise and join the 21st century.

"

If you want to own a television then you must get a TV licence. "

nobody is forcing you to watch live tv, so if you chose to watch live tv then stop whining and pay your dues .... it's not rocket science

"

If you want to own a television then you must get a TV licence.

nobody is forcing you to watch live tv, so if you chose to watch live tv then stop whining and pay your dues .... it's not rocket science

"

Rubbish, the TV licence is the biggest enforced waste of money ever.

I can only imagine the amount of money they get from this unbelievable scam. There is no way on the Gods green earth that anyone is getting value for money here.

It is high time that the BBC were made to earn their money, just like everyone else.

"

Rubbish"

it's irrefutable fact that no-one forces you to watch live TV or bbc .... it's your choice to watch and if you do choose to watch then stop whining and pay your dues .... easy

By *anes HubbyCouple  over a year ago

Babbacombe Torquay

Just over 40p a day for a television license, great value.

in Lancashire

"Just over 40p a day for a television license, great value."

agree

I know a lot of people who are quite happy to spend around £8 a day on cigarettes but moan about paying the TV Licenece

"

Rubbish

it's irrefutable fact that no-one forces you to watch live TV or bbc .... it's your choice to watch and if you do choose to watch then stop whining and pay your dues .... easy "

It doesn't matter whether or not you watch the BBC, own on a television means you have to pay for a stab licence.

The BBC are getting money from people who may not even want to watch their crap.

It is just not right.

"

Rubbish

it's irrefutable fact that no-one forces you to watch live TV or bbc .... it's your choice to watch and if you do choose to watch then stop whining and pay your dues .... easy

It doesn't matter whether or not you watch the BBC, own on a television means you have to pay for a tv licence.

The BBC are getting money from people who may not even want to watch their crap.

It is just not right."

* tv licence

Babbacombe Torquay

"I know a lot of people who are quite happy to spend around £8 a day on cigarettes but moan about paying the TV Licenece "

Or people who like a pint....or three

"

Rubbish

It doesn't matter whether or not you watch the BBC, own on a television means you have to pay for a stab licence.

"

wether you own a TV or not, it's an absolute fact that nobody is forcing you to watch live tv or bbc, it's your choice to watch and if you do then stop whining and pay your dues

"

Rubbish

wether you own a TV or not, it's an absolute fact that nobody is forcing you to watch live tv or bbc, it's your choice to watch and if you do then stop whining and pay your dues"

You are not making any sense.

The fact remains that all television owners have to have a TV licence. It makes no difference whether or not they watch the BBC, and that is a load of bollocks.

"The fact remains that all television owners have to have a TV licence. It makes no difference whether or not they watch the BBC, and that is a load of bollocks."

you're talking tosh .... the facts are written on the TV licencing website .... i suggest you go read them before you embaress yourself further

the facts are, if you choose to watch or record live TV or anything from bbc iplayer then stop whining and pay your dues

[Removed by poster at 07/11/16 09:10:56]

"The fact remains that all television owners have to have a TV licence. It makes no difference whether or not they watch the BBC, and that is a load of bollocks.

you're talking tosh .... the facts are written on the TV licencing website .... i suggest you go read them before you embaress yourself further

the facts are, if you choose to watch or record live TV or anything from bbc iplayer then stop whining and pay your dues"

Bollocks, it is not about the Internet or steaming television. As I said just owning a TV means you have to buy a BBC monopoly licence.

Or are you going to tell me that is not the case?

"Bollocks, it is not about the Internet or steaming television. As I said just owning a TV means you have to buy a BBC monopoly licence.

Or are you going to tell me that is not the case?"

i'm telling you that ownership of tv receiving equipment has not been a prerequisite for the need to have a licence since 2004 ..... you only need a licence if you choose to watch or record live TV or any content be it live, recorded or catch-up through bbc iplayer ..... if you choose to do any of those then just cut the bitching and pay your dues

these facts are written on the tv licence website for everyone to read

By *G LanaTV/TS  over a year ago

Gosport

Is the BBC biased? We all know that the right like to constantly claim it is but there are two bits of research into this in recent years that I am aware of. The first was done by one of the right wing think tanks and this hardly suprising supported the idea. When I breifly looked at this there was little information on the methodology used or why some slighly odd metrics had been choosen as the markers for bias.

The second piece of research was done by a professor, I think at Cardiff University. This second study basically counted the number minutes given to representatives of the major parties on news and current affairs programmes. Based on this they concluded that the BBC was biased and that it was giving statistically significantly more coverage to the Conservative Party.

Wisbech and A47 corridor

However lots of people would prefer to spend that money on something such as buying a newspaper .

It may be great value. However there should be freedom of choice . I prefer to decide what I want to watch and pay the relevant fee to the service provider .

It is just a waste of money to me . I can live without the BBC.

"It may be great value. However there should be freedom of choice . "

there is freedom of choice ..... if you choose to watch or record live tv or if you choose to watch or record bbc iplayer then it's your choice and you should pay your dues

Wisbech and A47 corridor

"It may be great value. However there should be freedom of choice .

there is freedom of choice ..... if you choose to watch or record live tv or if you choose to watch or record bbc iplayer then it's your choice and you should pay your dues "

. I have no objection to paying for any service which I use .

We have no choice but to buy a TV licence unless we want to end up in prison.

I have no objection to paying any commercial provider as there is freedom of choice .

Babbacombe Torquay

I'm happy to pay for my license because the BBC makes some great programmes, it's political programmes are unequaled on British TV, it's wildlife programmes are unequalled on British TV, and their radio stations offer great value for money for me.

in Lancashire

"Just over 40p a day for a television license, great value. However lots of people would prefer to spend that money on something such as buying a newspaper .

It may be great value. However there should be freedom of choice . I prefer to decide what I want to watch and pay the relevant fee to the service provider .

It is just a waste of money to me . I can live without the BBC. "

problem being when one provider has more or less a monopoly on the media be that TV, web or print then without having said monopolies regulated the choice for those who disagree with how the news is slanted or even what is not deemed to be reportable is limited which is the case in countries where the regime sets the agenda..

that's not good for any country let alone democracy..

opening it up to the free market will only lead to some in society being priced out, can't see any provider saying to its shareholders lets give the elderly free access somehow..

there is freedom of choice ..... if you choose to watch or record live tv or if you choose to watch or record bbc iplayer then it's your choice and you should pay your dues . I have no objection to paying for any service which I use .

I have no objection to paying any commercial provider as there is freedom of choice . "

this is either lies or misinformed bullshit and nothing else ..... i've set out what the law says quite plainly but you just continue to embarrass yourself by stubornly posting to the contrary of what the law requires ..... you have a choice and you choose to veiw media in such a way that it requires a licence so therefore you should stop whining and to the correct thing which is pays your dues

If someone has a TV there is no way they will go through a whole year without seeing something on a BBC Chanel or listen to the radio.

"If someone has a TV there is no way they will go through a whole year without seeing something on a BBC Chanel or listen to the radio.

"

if you choose to watch bbc on a tv or via iplayer then just pay your dues ... simple

and no licence has been required to listen to radio be it through the tv or otherwise since 1971

"actually i think it is quite sad, because i am a fan of bbc local radio and at a local level i think they actually do a good job....

at a national level because of commercial competition i don for example question the existance of a radio 1... or a radio 3 (where classic for example do a good job)

i'd keep 2,4 and 5 though....... "

ClassicFM has a limited repertoire of the same few pieces at the popular end of the "classical" repertoire. Rarely anything challenging or god-help-us "modern" and certainly not direct competition for R3. If R3 goes then so do the Proms (all eight weeks, not just the Last Night party) plus the orchestras that provide music for a lot of BBCTV productions.

As for that canard that the BBC are left-leaning... (looks in vain for the hilarious laughter emoticon)

Wisbech and A47 corridor

"Just over 40p a day for a television license, great value. However lots of people would prefer to spend that money on something such as buying a newspaper .

problem being when one provider has more or less a monopoly on the media be that TV, web or print then without having said monopolies regulated the choice for those who disagree with how the news is slanted or even what is not deemed to be reportable is limited which is the case in countries where the regime sets the agenda..

opening it up to the free market will only lead to some in society being priced out, can't see any provider saying to its shareholders lets give the elderly free access somehow.."

We could however make a one off annual payment of £150 to pensioners and then they will not be losing out.

Wisbech and A47 corridor

there is freedom of choice ..... if you choose to watch or record live tv or if you choose to watch or record bbc iplayer then it's your choice and you should pay your dues . I have no objection to paying for any service which I use .

I have no objection to paying any commercial provider as there is freedom of choice .

this is either lies or misinformed bullshit and nothing else ..... i've set out what the law says quite plainly but you just continue to embarrass yourself by stubornly posting to the contrary of what the law requires ..... you have a choice and you choose to veiw media in such a way that it requires a licence so therefore you should stop whining and to the correct thing which is pays your dues "

My understanding of the law is that a licence is compulsory if a receiver is in the house ..

in Lancashire

opening it up to the free market will only lead to some in society being priced out, can't see any provider saying to its shareholders lets give the elderly free access somehow.. We could however make a one off annual payment of £150 to pensioners and then they will not be losing out. "

not a bad idea, where that to be the case maybe means tested..

By *losguygl3Man  over a year ago

Gloucester

Pieces keeps saying it and you all seem to be ignoring it. If you choose to watch telly,you choose to have to pay the licence fee. If you don't want to pay it, don't watch telly.

Watch porn instead

"

My understanding of the law is that a licence is compulsory if a receiver is in the house .."

in that case you have a serious misunderstanding of the law

By *unandbuckCouple  over a year ago

Sheffield

"

My understanding of the law is that a licence is compulsory if a receiver is in the house ..

in that case you have a serious misunderstanding of the law"

Maybe it's not a 'serious' misunderstanding

You don't need a license to own a TV, you just need one to watch it.

Best value tv there is!

And that includes advert funded, free to view channels!

"

"

no .... you only need a licence if you use it to watch live tv or if you use it to record live tv to watch later or if you use it to watch bbc through iplayer

for instance you can quite happily run your tv as your pc monitor and watch the bbc series timeshift through youtube .... no licence needed

"Maybe it's not a 'serious' misunderstanding "

.... forgot to add, it is a serious misunderstanding for pat coz he says he's paying £700 odd quid in licence fees

moston

"no .... you only need a licence if you use it to watch live tv or if you use it to record live tv to watch later or if you use it to watch bbc through iplayer

for instance you can quite happily run your tv as your pc monitor and watch the bbc series timeshift through youtube .... no licence needed"

I am pretty sure you are now out of date, and that particular loophole has been closed. Although you may legally use a TV as a monitor without a licence if you watch any TV content on any device at any time live or recorded you now need a licence.

Wisbech and A47 corridor

"

no .... you only need a licence if you use it to watch live tv or if you use it to record live tv to watch later or if you use it to watch bbc through iplayer

for instance you can quite happily run your tv as your pc monitor and watch the bbc series timeshift through youtube .... no licence needed"

So people who pay licences are subsidising those who use this technique to watch.

"

for instance you can quite happily run your tv as your pc monitor and watch the bbc series timeshift through youtube .... no licence needed So people who pay licences are subsidising those who use this technique to watch. "

no .... those who chose to watch live tv or record live tv to watch later or watch through bbc iplayer shouldn't expect a free ride and should stop whining and pay their dues as required by law.... there is no subsidy involved

moston

".... forgot to add, it is a serious misunderstanding for pat coz he says he's paying £700 odd quid in licence fees "

And again I think that if you check your facts Pat may well have to pay £700 for licences.

Because your TV licence is not for your dwelling, but for up to 3 TVs in your dwelling. There fore if you have between 4 and 6 TVs or devices that you use to view TV content you need 2 licences, 7 to 9 devices 3 licences and so on.

You may want to have a count up of how many TV's you have and then add on all the smart phones, tablets, laptops, internet enabled games consoles and desktops you have been viewing TV content on and check your licence details to see if you are as legal as you think you are.

".... forgot to add, it is a serious misunderstanding for pat coz he says he's paying £700 odd quid in licence fees

And again I think that if you check your facts Pat may well have to pay £700 for licences.

Because your TV licence is not for your dwelling, but for up to 3 TVs in your dwelling. There fore if you have between 4 and 6 TVs or devices that you use to view TV content you need 2 licences, 7 to 9 devices 3 licences and so on.

You may want to have a count up of how many TV's you have and then add on all the smart phones, tablets, laptops, internet enabled games consoles and desktops you have been viewing TV content on and check your licence details to see if you are as legal as you think you are.

"

you can have as many devices as you want and no licence needed if you choose not to watch live tv or not record live tv or not watch through bbc iplayer .... simple

Cannock

".... forgot to add, it is a serious misunderstanding for pat coz he says he's paying £700 odd quid in licence fees

you can have as many devices as you want and no licence needed if you choose not to watch live tv or not record live tv or not watch through bbc iplayer .... simple"

Prey tell what is the point in owning a television if you are not going to watch it?

A bit like Jeremy Corbyn wanting to keep our Trident submarines without any nukes in them...... utterly pointless!

Cannock

Is the BBC biased? We all know that the right like to constantly claim it is but there are two bits of research into this in recent years that I am aware of. The first was done by one of the right wing think tanks and this hardly suprising supported the idea. When I breifly looked at this there was little information on the methodology used or why some slighly odd metrics had been choosen as the markers for bias.

The second piece of research was done by a professor, I think at Cardiff University. This second study basically counted the number minutes given to representatives of the major parties on news and current affairs programmes. Based on this they concluded that the BBC was biased and that it was giving statistically significantly more coverage to the Conservative Party."

A similar study of the BBC coverage of the EU referendum was done, it found and concluded that the BBC gave an unfair and unequal amount of coverage for the Remain side.

As for the BBC coverage of the Scottish independence referendum well no study was needed to see how biased that was it was blatantly obvious.

"Prey tell what is the point in owning a television if you are not going to watch it?

A bit like Jeremy Corbyn wanting to keep our Trident submarines without any nukes in them...... utterly pointless! "

rather like your post then

"If someone has a TV there is no way they will go through a whole year without seeing something on a BBC Chanel or listen to the radio.

if you choose to watch bbc on a tv or via iplayer then just pay your dues ... simple

and no licence has been required to listen to radio be it through the tv or otherwise since 1971"

No but the licence fee pays for the BBC radio as well

and no licence has been required to listen to radio be it through the tv or otherwise since 1971

No but the licence fee pays for the BBC radio as well "

not any more it doesn't .... not since 2004 ... i't written on the tv licence website .... go check

By *isandreTV/TS  over a year ago

Hartlepool

It's amazing that the people on this thread who were all for Brexit because the EU undermines all of those great British institutions are the same ones wanting to destroy the BBC.

So you want to put our new coverage into the hands of the likes of Murdoch and Fox News, and leave the market to cater for minority interests and to be innovative? It's evident you've been dumb downed enough.

Bake Off would have been either been laughed out the door or relegated to the food channel and 14 million people every week would have been deprived of it. 14 million is very nearly a mandate isn't it, brexiters?

No strictly, just x factors.

Cannock

"It's amazing that the people on this thread who were all for Brexit because the EU undermines all of those great British institutions are the same ones wanting to destroy the BBC.

So you want to put our new coverage into the hands of the likes of Murdoch and Fox News, and leave the market to cater for minority interests and to be innovative? It's evident you've been dumb downed enough.

Bake Off would have been either been laughed out the door or relegated to the food channel and 14 million people every week would have been deprived of it. 14 million is very nearly a mandate isn't it, brexiters?

"

The EU hardly undermines the BBC, the BBC acts like an EU mouthpiece ffs.

Talking of Bake off, I can't think of anything more dumbed down than that. Relegating it to the food channel sounds like an incredibly good idea to me.

The voice, X factor, same shit different channel. Anyway that Bake off rubbish is going to channel 4 now isn't it?

Wisbech and A47 corridor

"It's amazing that the people on this thread who were all for Brexit because the EU undermines all of those great British institutions are the same ones wanting to destroy the BBC.

"

I dont think a single poster said that they would destoy the BBC. Everyone just want it to operate on the same terms as other tv channels . Why should we sibsidise one channel.

I would prefer to decide to whom I pay my licence fee to.

It is simply freedom of choice ..

" I dont think a single poster said that they would destoy the BBC. Everyone just want it to operate on the same terms as other tv channels . Why should we sibsidise one channel.

It is simply freedom of choice .."

you are free to choose ..... if you you choose to watch live tv or record live tv to watch later or watch through bbc iplayer then you must stop whining and pay your legal dues instead of expecting to get something for free .... simple

moston

"

I dont think a single poster said that they would destoy the BBC. Everyone just want it to operate on the same terms as other tv channels . Why should we sibsidise one channel.

It is simply freedom of choice .."

The reason the BBC should be publicly funded is because provided it can resist political interference it gives us a truly independent and non sectarian news and current affairs broadcaster that can concentrate on producing quality entertainment programming rather than cheap profit driven content full of product placement designed to benefit their sponsors.

"

The reason the BBC should be publicly funded is because provided it can resist political interference it gives us a truly independent and non sectarian news and current affairs broadcaster that can concentrate on producing quality entertainment programming rather than cheap profit driven content full of product placement designed to benefit their sponsors."

"

The reason the BBC should be publicly funded is because provided it can resist political interference it gives us a truly independent and non sectarian news and current affairs broadcaster that can concentrate on producing quality entertainment programming rather than cheap profit driven content full of product placement designed to benefit their sponsors."

Spot on!

Fox News anyone?

» Add a new message to this topic