FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Should musicians discuss their political opinions

Should musicians discuss their political opinions

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 11/11/16 06:35:17]

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

The real issue is the weight that people give to the opinions expressed by musicians.

Children and Young Adults will hear Madonna or Beyoncé shout out that everyone should follow Hilary Clinton and like sheep they will follow like sheep without knowing or looking into why.

You have others such as Kate Perry, Bon Jovi, Jennifer Lopez all joining the band wagon

The fact is, musicians aren't really so different from anyone else in terms of their insights into, their knowledge of, and their savvy about politics. Why should anyone put more stock in the political opinions of a guitarist or a drummer than in, say, the opinions of a carpenter or a truck driver? Really, there's no reason they should but still, as we heard and saw, you get full stadiums of fans following like sheep.

one to top them all was Bruce Springsteen, the guy who used to sing about the "working man" say no more.

Then of course you get the "elite" arseholes of music who preach such as Bob Geldof and Bono

Should musicians voice their opinions as much as they do, or should they stick to the music

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Let them carry on, its done them no good so far

"The real issue is the weight that people give to the opinions expressed by musicians.

Children and Young Adults will hear Madonna or Beyoncé shout out that everyone should follow Hilary Clinton and like sheep they will follow like sheep without knowing or looking into why.

You have others such as Kate Perry, Bon Jovi, Jennifer Lopez all joining the band wagon

The fact is, musicians aren't really so different from anyone else in terms of their insights into, their knowledge of, and their savvy about politics. Why should anyone put more stock in the political opinions of a guitarist or a drummer than in, say, the opinions of a carpenter or a truck driver? Really, there's no reason they should but still, as we heard and saw, you get full stadiums of fans following like sheep.

one to top them all was Bruce Springsteen, the guy who used to sing about the "working man" say no more.

Then of course you get the "elite" arseholes of music who preach such as Bob Geldof and Bono

Should musicians voice their opinions as much as they do, or should they stick to the music"

I don't think that Geldof and music should be mentioned in the same context. A singer who couldn't sing to save his life.

Clinton brought all those pop stars because someone told her that all young people supported her, and she hasn't got the personality to appeal to them without help.

Trump got up on his stage and said to the people, it is just me, and they loved it. He has a big personality, and didn't need these so called "stars."

As someone who's best years were the 1980's, most of my fav bands, singers etc are left wing, (Lemmy aside), some hiding behind their own fake identity as anarchists.

I can't say that I would ever have my opinions influenced by any of them.

I always thought that Morrissey of The Smiths was a bit of a tit but was pleasantly surprised and changed my opinion when he described Brexit as 'magnificent'. He also had a point when he said todays politicians are useless and out of touch, that they won't change and can't change whereas people all over the world have changed

"I always thought that Morrissey of The Smiths was a bit of a tit but was pleasantly surprised and changed my opinion when he described Brexit as 'magnificent'. He also had a point when he said todays politicians are useless and out of touch, that they won't change and can't change whereas people all over the world have changed"

Yes I saw that on television too. Although I was never a fan of The Smiths, I have respect for him as a person.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"I always thought that Morrissey of The Smiths was a bit of a tit but was pleasantly surprised and changed my opinion when he described Brexit as 'magnificent'. He also had a point when he said todays politicians are useless and out of touch, that they won't change and can't change whereas people all over the world have changed"

he has a very valid point on the change that's occurred, the system that is meant to represent the ones who voted should at least listen a bit more than just before they want a mandate..

musicians are products like us all of our upbringing, experiences etc so to not expect that they will make points they believe important or relevant is pointless..

just do what some do when they wont listen, put your fingers in your ears or change the station..

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

Why should musicians not be allowed to voice their political opinions? You are not forced to agree with them, and if you think they are wrong you can stand up and say so, maybe add an explanation to prove your point.

"Why should musicians not be allowed to voice their political opinions? You are not forced to agree with them, and if you think they are wrong you can stand up and say so, maybe add an explanation to prove your point."

the question was:

Should musicians voice their opinions as much as they do, or should they stick to the music

In saying that, I did when younger respect the views of the great Johnny Rotten ( John Lydon ) and ofcourse the late Joe Strummer

but today, that's a different story, we all get older and wiser

I have always been a fan of Pink Floyd, who appear to be very left wing judging by some of their lyrics. I like them because of the music, they are bloody magic.

A lot of bands have political leanings, some even express that in their lyrics, but that shouldn't influence anybody with any intelligence.

After all they are musicians not politicians. Some are not even musicians, just singers.

If they had studied politics they would be politicians.

moston

"After all they are musicians not politicians. Some are not even musicians, just singers.

If they had studied politics they would be politicians."

That's not quite true, now is it.

There is a long history of travelling troubadours using poetry and song to spread word of political movements and the struggle of the lower classes against those in power. Just as there is a long history of the establishment banning songs and poetry and labelling it seditious, even ordering the immediate execution of any heard singing, whistling or humming some airs.

"After all they are musicians not politicians. Some are not even musicians, just singers.

If they had studied politics they would be politicians.

That's not quite true, now is it.

There is a long history of travelling troubadours using poetry and song to spread word of political movements and the struggle of the lower classes against those in power. Just as there is a long history of the establishment banning songs and poetry and labelling it seditious, even ordering the immediate execution of any heard singing, whistling or humming some airs."

That was in the past, these days musicians are almost manufactured, especially so called "superstar" singers.

They don't spread anything other than shit music and soppy lyrics.

Political songs:

Roger Waters

Bob Dylan

I'm forced to listen to a certain radio station at work, that is constantly piped in. I can honestly say hand on heart that there are no meaningful messages of any kind in the music of 1 Direction or Lady Gaga. Justin Beeber songs just show what a spoilt little shit he is.

It is utter garbage!

Radio Scotland has good topics

and Radio 2 vine as 12

wish we had an edit button

vine at 12

moston

"That was in the past, these days musicians are almost manufactured, especially so called "superstar" singers.

They don't spread anything other than shit music and soppy lyrics. "

Really?

Listen to this:

https://youtu.be/_hSIIv0McO4

"That was in the past, these days musicians are almost manufactured, especially so called "superstar" singers.

They don't spread anything other than shit music and soppy lyrics.

Really?

Listen to this:

https://youtu.be/_hSIIv0McO4"

Thanks, but no thanks.

moston

"Thanks, but no thanks."

Is that a comment on the song or a simple refusal to listen?

"Thanks, but no thanks.

Is that a comment on the song or a simple refusal to listen?"

I'm having a week off work and have already had to sit in an arena in Brum with one of my kids, watching a bunch of Americans pretending to wrestle. I will not insult my earholes any further.

So it was a polite no, I do not wish to listen. Besides, I find copy pasting links off here to be difficult on my old iPhone.

"The real issue is the weight that people give to the opinions expressed by musicians.

Should musicians voice their opinions as much as they do, or should they stick to the music"

If they are the sort of musician who cares passionately about people, then of course they should speak up and try to persuade people.

And lay off Mr Springsteen. He was expressing his opinion. He would have been a bit of a tosser if he had backed Trump, don't you think?

moston

"I'm having a week off work and have already had to sit in an arena in Brum with one of my kids, watching a bunch of Americans pretending to wrestle. I will not insult my earholes any further.

So it was a polite no, I do not wish to listen. Besides, I find copy pasting links off here to be difficult on my old iPhone."

No worries, I feel your pain with the the WWF or whatever.

Personally I usually do not listen to rap as it is well as you say an insult to earholes. But every now and then I am told I should listen to something, usually the people telling me get it right. I was told about this song last night and I think it is a future classic rap protest song and worth a listen.

By the way my usual taste is pink floyd, tull, genesis, gong, camel, sex pistols, banshees....

"I'm having a week off work and have already had to sit in an arena in Brum with one of my kids, watching a bunch of Americans pretending to wrestle. I will not insult my earholes any further.

So it was a polite no, I do not wish to listen. Besides, I find copy pasting links off here to be difficult on my old iPhone.

No worries, I feel your pain with the the WWF or whatever.

Personally I usually do not listen to rap as it is well as you say an insult to earholes. But every now and then I am told I should listen to something, usually the people telling me get it right. I was told about this song last night and I think it is a future classic rap protest song and worth a listen.

By the way my usual taste is pink floyd, tull, genesis, gong, camel, sex pistols, banshees...."

Yeah I like Floyd and the Pistols, also Motörhead and lesser known bands like the 4Skins and Cock Sparrer. I organised a few punk gigs for a local punk band back in the mid 90's. Would bring in bands like the UK Subs, 999, Chelsea, Splogenesabounds, and Sham69, and put my mates band up as second to last support band. There was a few other local bands involved and we started a little punk revival in the town.

Happy days...

Personally I think you have no right but to allow them to express their opinions. I mean music used to be, and still is in some cases a way to express social issues, to criticise, to try and communicate change or a desire to.

Plus, they are people and members of a nation, therefore they can express their views.

On the point of the whole, 'trying to win easy votes through getting famous people to side with you.' If anything I think it's detrimental - all it does is to say "hey look at my rich famous friends."

If it gets any increase in votes, then over the last 5years those votes have been counteracted by voters now siding with candidates who appeal to the far right, or simple 'silver bullet' policies with no real meat to them.

In short it says a lot about the American election and EU referendum - less policies were discussed, more mud slinging ensued with at the points of desperation for votes, people and parties calling in favours and expressing extreme view points which most likely wont/can't happen.

If they are the sort of musician who cares passionately about people, then of course they should speak up and try to persuade people.

And lay off Mr Springsteen. He was expressing his opinion. He would have been a bit of a tosser if he had backed Trump, don't you think?"

Why should I lay of Springsteen, he is supposed to be singing about the "working man" and how life is tough, its laughable to see how much he has changed since his River Tour in 81 to seeing him now, perhaps he should have a new song called "its all about the money, money"

And as much as I like and travel the World to see Roger Waters, the last thing I want to listen to at his concerts is his opinion on Trump, I was totally pissed off at Desert Trip as were many others when he done his pig stunt, he doesn't realise how many fights almost broke out in the crowds due to it

By *etter the devil you knowWoman  over a year ago

Lyndhurst

They should stick to the music.

A musician is just a person. They have every right to express their political opinions. If they can sing to the heart on one subject why not another?

And lay off Mr Springsteen. He was expressing his opinion. He would have been a bit of a tosser if he had backed Trump, don't you think?

Why should I lay of Springsteen, he is supposed to be singing about the "working man" and how life is tough, its laughable to see how much he has changed since his River Tour in 81 to seeing him now, perhaps he should have a new song called "its all about the money, money"

And as much as I like and travel the World to see Roger Waters, the last thing I want to listen to at his concerts is his opinion on Trump, I was totally pissed off at Desert Trip as were many others when he done his pig stunt, he doesn't realise how many fights almost broke out in the crowds due to it

"

Springsteen is not "supposed to be" singing about anything.

With a choice of Clinton or Trump, I personally think his choice was the right one.

With a choice of Clinton or Trump, I personally think his choice was the right one."

and he lost

With a choice of Clinton or Trump, I personally think his choice was the right one.

and he lost"

No. He expressed his support for Clinton as opposed to Trump.

I don't see that as a bad thing. You seem to.

Springsteen expressed an opinion. That does not equate to losing.

You expected him to support Trump?

» Add a new message to this topic