FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Boris the Blunderer strikes again

Boris the Blunderer strikes again

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oo hot OP   Couple  over a year ago

North West

"It's a myth, nonsense and bollocks that freedom of movement is one of the founding principles of freedom of movement." Boris Johnson yesterday.

The Treaty of Rome signed in 1957

Freedom of movement for workers shall be secured within the Community.

Such freedom of movement shall entail the abolition of any discrimination based on nationality between workers of the Member States as regards employment, remuneration and other conditions of work and employment.

It shall entail the right, subject to limitations justified on grounds of public policy, public security or public health:

(a) to accept offers of employment actually made;

(b) to move freely within the territory of Member States for this purpose;

(c) to stay in a Member State for the purpose of employment in accordance with the provisions governing the employment of nationals of that State laid down by law, regulation or administrative action;

(d) to remain in the territory of a Member State after having been employed in that State, subject to conditions which shall be embodied in implementing regulations to be drawn up by the Commission.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

why is he telling the Czechs our plans when he won't tell parliament?

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"why is he telling the Czechs our plans when he won't tell parliament? "

Maybe he is doing it to annoy the likes of you? It is highly amusing to see you get all flustered about it.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

What has he said wrong? We've always had freedom of movement and always will, just not the freedom of movement that we've seen over recent years where thousands of people can just turn up without a job and depress wages

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

Is this the same free movement of people principle that Angela Merkel of Germany yesterday hinted could be negotiated on? Maybe the EU free movement of people principle is not set in stone after all. We will have to wait and see.

Cambridge

"why is he telling the Czechs our plans when he won't tell parliament?

Maybe he is doing it to annoy the likes of you? It is highly amusing to see you get all flustered about it. "

I'm hardly flustered about it, it was your side howling about the importance of parliament remember!

Cambridge

"What has he said wrong? We've always had freedom of movement and always will, just not the freedom of movement that we've seen over recent years where thousands of people can just turn up without a job and depress wages"

We need a facepalm emoji for this forum. No we haven't always had freedom of movement.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Is this the same free movement of people principle that Angela Merkel of Germany yesterday hinted could be negotiated on? Maybe the EU free movement of people principle is not set in stone after all. We will have to wait and see. "

its all snippets and supposition that he or she said this or that..

I think a lot of us are having trouble remaining objective in this, mentioning something that may look to give an inference which may or may not be positive or not is getting jumped upon and usually ends up in a 'she said, he said' row..

Dutch finance minister was interesting in his interview on Newsnight, one could say he was giving an honest appraisal of how he see's Brexit (then again he is a politician)..

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

And in any case its Boris ffs, he's always been an oaf who blusters his way through these things..

he'll say something different when he's asked the same question after he's been briefed..

"What has he said wrong? We've always had freedom of movement and always will, just not the freedom of movement that we've seen over recent years where thousands of people can just turn up without a job and depress wages

We need a facepalm emoji for this forum. No we haven't always had freedom of movement."

so how did my sisters in laws manage to arrive from Italy in 1962 and live and work here ever since?

Cambridge

"Is this the same free movement of people principle that Angela Merkel of Germany yesterday hinted could be negotiated on? Maybe the EU free movement of people principle is not set in stone after all. We will have to wait and see. "

So she apparently "hinted" at it did she? Did you forget that she, along with the 26 other heads of state have already signed a declaration stating that there will be no negotiation on freedom of movement?

Cambridge

"What has he said wrong? We've always had freedom of movement and always will, just not the freedom of movement that we've seen over recent years where thousands of people can just turn up without a job and depress wages

We need a facepalm emoji for this forum. No we haven't always had freedom of movement.

so how did my sisters in laws manage to arrive from Italy in 1962 and live and work here ever since?"

Why is it so difficult for you to comprehend the difference between movement, and freedom of movement? Between the ability to apply for a visa and the rights to live and work somewhere?

so how did my sisters in laws manage to arrive from Italy in 1962 and live and work here ever since?

Why is it so difficult for you to comprehend the difference between movement, and freedom of movement? Between the ability to apply for a visa and the rights to live and work somewhere? "

because the bloody freedom of movement is still there even if it means you have to apply for a visa! You just have to meet the criteria. Are murderers and rapists and terrorists free to move now? No, because the don't meet the criteria, same shit just different reasons

Cambridge

Why is it so difficult for you to comprehend the difference between movement, and freedom of movement? Between the ability to apply for a visa and the rights to live and work somewhere?

because the bloody freedom of movement is still there even if it means you have to apply for a visa! You just have to meet the criteria. Are murderers and rapists and terrorists free to move now? No, because the don't meet the criteria, same shit just different reasons"

You mean because they're in prison?

Cambridge

because the bloody freedom of movement is still there even if it means you have to apply for a visa! You just have to meet the criteria. Are murderers and rapists and terrorists free to move now? No, because the don't meet the criteria, same shit just different reasons"

Are you still free to move there if they reject your visa?

By *unandbuckCouple  over a year ago

Sheffield

I like the fact he called it Bollocks in an interview.

I don't know what has changed but free movement has to have changed since we joined the EEC. I don't pretend to know, but, I guess the principle has evolved over the years to due to rulings showing that certain things should be allowed, that weren't previously.

CandM visas by definition aren't free movement. The receiving country sets the criteria how they see fit, whether that be on criminal record, profession, holidaying etc etc

"I like the fact he called it Bollocks in an interview.

I don't know what has changed but free movement has to have changed since we joined the EEC. I don't pretend to know, but, I guess the principle has evolved over the years to due to rulings showing that certain things should be allowed, that weren't previously.

CandM visas by definition aren't free movement. The receiving country sets the criteria how they see fit, whether that be on criminal record, profession, holidaying etc etc

"

of course, but if you meet that criteria you're free to move. This whole free movement thing is a bit of a con, it's just a way to exploit people and keep wages down. I only have experience of Spain but if after 3 months there you have no job and no money you are entitled to nothing, not even health care, so what do you do?

By *oo hot OP   Couple  over a year ago

North West

The British Foreign Secretary cannot teal a Danish (I believe?) newspaper that Britain will leave the customs union whilst the Prime Minister denies it and tells our own Sovereign Parliament that they must not know unless they are in the inner sanctum of the Governments secret squirrel club.

It is embarrassing for the UK, it is embarrassing for the Prime Minister but even more embarrassing for Johnson who was also completely and factually wrong in other things that he said in the interview (as mentioned in the OP).

"It's a myth, nonsense and bollocks that freedom of movement is one of the founding principles of freedom of movement."

Erm, was that misquoted?

If not, then it is bollocks. How could freedom of movement not be the founding principle of freedom of movement? It as a non sequitur.

Sheffield

""It's a myth, nonsense and bollocks that freedom of movement is one of the founding principles of freedom of movement."

Erm, was that misquoted?

If not, then it is bollocks. How could freedom of movement not be the founding principle of freedom of movement? It as a non sequitur."

It's paraphrased and a bit of a typo by the OP, he is supposed to have said words along lines off

"It's a myth, nonsense and bollocks that freedom of movement is one of the founding principles of the EU"

""It's a myth, nonsense and bollocks that freedom of movement is one of the founding principles of freedom of movement."

Erm, was that misquoted?

If not, then it is bollocks. How could freedom of movement not be the founding principle of freedom of movement? It as a non sequitur.

It's paraphrased and a bit of a typo by the OP, he is supposed to have said words along lines off

"It's a myth, nonsense and bollocks that freedom of movement is one of the founding principles of the EU"

"

Ah, OK. For a minute, I thought that I or Boris was going mad.

Cambridge

Erm, was that misquoted?

"

I think Boris was born mad!

Erm, was that misquoted?

I think Boris was born mad! "

I prefer the term "eccentric," though there may be little in it.

Freedom of movement was indeed an important element in the concept of a United Europe. A crap one, mind, and nothing to do with a Common Market.

Sheffield

Have the signatories to that 1957 treaty of Rome been free to move unhindered within 'Europe' since 1957?

I genuinely don't know, it just seems a surprising long time.

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

Erm, was that misquoted?

"

Has anyone actually got a recording of what he said ? Or is it another deloitte story in that it is a paper causing a non sensation by twisting the facts

Cambridge

[Removed by poster at 16/11/16 17:53:03]

"Have the signatories to that 1957 treaty of Rome been free to move unhindered within 'Europe' since 1957?

I genuinely don't know, it just seems a surprising long time."

I don't know but what I was getting at earlier is that we've always been free to move, is there really much difference between between that and free movement because at the end of the day without money or a job in another EU country you won't last very long. I know guys who moved to Spain in the 60's and early 70's and just started to work in bars, it wasn't a problem, the only stipulation, which maybe had something to do with the type of jobs they had and the casual nature of them, was that they could only stay in the country for 12 months at a time, so once a year they'd get a van up to France and get their passports stamped

"I like the fact he called it Bollocks in an interview.

of course, but if you meet that criteria you're free to move. This whole free movement thing is a bit of a con, it's just a way to exploit people and keep wages down. I only have experience of Spain but if after 3 months there you have no job and no money you are entitled to nothing, not even health care, so what do you do?"

You're arguing a non starter here.

Free movement and visa movement are not the same at all.

Try going to Spain for a year and working, then try going to USA or Australia for a year and working, spot the difference.

By *enard ArgenteMan  over a year ago

London and France

Erm, was that misquoted?

Has anyone actually got a recording of what he said ? Or is it another deloitte story in that it is a paper causing a non sensation by twisting the facts "

Yes; it was on national television; he actually said

" it's all ... I hope you have a word in Czech for bollocks.... because it's bollocks....."

Sheffield

"

Has anyone actually got a recording of what he said ? Or is it another deloitte story in that it is a paper causing a non sensation by twisting the facts

Yes; it was on national television; he actually said

" it's all ... I hope you have a word in Czech for bollocks.... because it's bollocks.....""

Well at least he didn't just blurt it out

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

Boris is not a blunderer...

He is a very clever man, and when he puts on his fools cap and acts the buffoon it is because he is setting us up.

Do not be take in by his act, because that is what it is!

» Add a new message to this topic