FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Trump names his choice for UK ambassador to the USA

Trump names his choice for UK ambassador to the USA

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *asyuk OP   Man  over a year ago

West London

Luckily we have got our country back and will not be told what to do ever again. Of course, there's nothing wrong with our NBF the Donald suggesting who we might want to send to go and play with him. He doesn't speak a funny language

Come on Trumpsters and Brexiters. Tell me how this is a good thing

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Luckily we have got our country back and will not be told what to do ever again. Of course, there's nothing wrong with our NBF the Donald suggesting who we might want to send to go and play with him. He doesn't speak a funny language

Come on Trumpsters and Brexiters. Tell me how this is a good thing "

It's just the press asking trump stupid questions to get an answer they can blow up out of all proportion

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"Luckily we have got our country back and will not be told what to do ever again. Of course, there's nothing wrong with our NBF the Donald suggesting who we might want to send to go and play with him. He doesn't speak a funny language

It's just the press asking trump stupid questions to get an answer they can blow up out of all proportion "

I think you will find that it was Trump himself revelling in the use of Twitter in the post truth world as he again states that his way of thinking is somehow mirrored by "many" others.

"Many people think Nigel Farage would make a great Ambassador to the US"

By *losguygl3Man  over a year ago

Gloucester

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Please stop it....

My sides are aching!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Oh it's too funny

By *ubble troubleCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

He, or his team, know he can effectively distract attention from substantive issues simply by throwing out a "funny" tweet. So just when he's forked out $25 million to avoid being charged with fraud, he tweets about Hamilton the musical. Just as news about TPP emerges, out pops a Farage tweet. It's classic (and apparently very effective) distraction technique.

The shame of it is how easily the ranks of highly educated journalists at BBC and just about everywhere else go "Squirrel!"

I wouldn't be surprised if he tweeted about Wayne Rooney's fitness at the same time as turning Arizona into an internment camp, and I know which would be the headline on the BBC website.

Manchester

"

It's just the press asking trump stupid questions to get an answer they can blow up out of all proportion "

Ordinarily you'd probably be right because that is a classic tabloid trick, but these are not ordinary times, he's generating these ludicrous thoughts and it takes attention right off his actions.

It's just the press asking trump stupid questions to get an answer they can blow up out of all proportion

I think you will find that it was Trump himself revelling in the use of Twitter in the post truth world as he again states that his way of thinking is somehow mirrored by "many" others.

"Many people think Nigel Farage would make a great Ambassador to the US""

Ah yes just heard that it came from his own twitter account he knows exactly what he is doing just imagine all of those up thier own asses in both houses hurumphing all the way to the back benches

By *iverpool LoverMan  over a year ago

liverpool

I actually think farage should be the UK ambassador to america as our government completely fucked up by slating trump and puting all their eggs in the Hillary basket thinking trump wouldnt get elected. (Kinda like how are government did the same with brexit and not having a back up plan in case we voted to leave the EU).

Farage has good connections with trumps team and known some of them many years and also has respect for trump and trump respects Nigel.

If the UK want some good deals with the US in the coming future its time to stop being spiteful for spitefuls sake and just except that for Britain to get the best relationship between the two country's we need garage. As prime minister may and co have not had very nice things to say about trump during the election so why would he want to do us any favours if we reject his hint on who he wants dealing with the UK/US relations.

liverpool

Farage* not garage lol

By *anes HubbyCouple  over a year ago

Babbacombe Torquay

Bottom line.....it's got nothing to do with Trump.

He bleated on about America no longer being interventionist when he is President, yet here he is already attempting to interfere.

He doesn't know his arsehole from his elbow....

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"Many people think Nigel Farage would make a great Ambassador to the US""

and many people believe they have been kidnapped by alians Donald

By *enard ArgenteMan  over a year ago

London and France

It is almost as funny as Boris Johnson being Foreign Secretary.

"It is almost as funny as Boris Johnson being Foreign Secretary.

"

Yea you could not write it

London and France

Nigel showed his deep understanding of nations and geography when he said

" Trump is an Anglophile; he loves Scotland"

liverpool

"Nigel showed his deep understanding of nations and geography when he said

"

Scotland is a part of Britain last time i checked.

Anglophile

noun

a person who is fond of or greatly admires England or Britain.

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"

Farage has good connections with trumps team and known some of them many years and also has respect for trump and trump respects Nigel.

"

You don't appoint an ambassador because they are pals with the President. Farage would just do whatever Trump tells him.

liverpool

"

You don't appoint an ambassador because they are pals with the President. Farage would just do whatever Trump tells him. "

Id sooner appoint someone who the future president has time for than someone who the last few months hasn't had a positive word to say about trump which is the majority of all our politions.

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"I actually think farage should be the UK ambassador to america as our government completely fucked up by slating trump and puting all their eggs in the Hillary basket thinking trump wouldnt get elected. (Kinda like how are government did the same with brexit and not having a back up plan in case we voted to leave the EU).

If the UK want some good deals with the US in the coming future its time to stop being spiteful for spitefuls sake and just except that for Britain to get the best relationship between the two country's we need garage. As prime minister may and co have not had very nice things to say about trump during the election so why would he want to do us any favours if we reject his hint on who he wants dealing with the UK/US relations.

"

Farage is the best man for the job, it's the most logical and sensible conclusion to come to looking at all the factors involved. All those politicians in the Westminster bubble are too caught up in petty party politics though to put their differences with Farage aside. Rather than swallow their pride and put the national interest first by giving Farage the job they just can't bring themselves to do it. Rather than reflect bad on Farage it just makes Downing street look petty and pathetic.

Babbacombe Torquay

Ambassadors tend not to be politicians though.....and long may it remain that way.

Cannock

"

You don't appoint an ambassador because they are pals with the President. Farage would just do whatever Trump tells him.

Id sooner appoint someone who the future president has time for than someone who the last few months hasn't had a positive word to say about trump which is the majority of all our politions.

"

The same will probably happen with Le Pen in France, all the media and politicians in Westminster will bad mouth Le Pen then when she wins they'll be forced to eat humble Pie again.

London and France

Anglophile

noun

a person who is fond of or greatly admires England or Britain."

Anglophile means a lover of England

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

An Amssadorial role means that you do what is right first and foremost for your own country, not the host country.

In that respect, farage would be better placed being Trumps Ambassador in London.

Trump is just showing his lack of diplomacy and clearly thinking that it is about pure nepotism and jobs for the boys. It would of course be good for him to have a Brit who he can wrap around his finger when he feels like it.

It's pretty laughable that those celebrating "Independence Day" on June 23rd are now happy to unbundle their belts and bend over at the mere suggestion of their new American overlord.

Babbacombe Torquay

Trump hasn't got a bloody clue, let's face the truth. He's making himself look ridiculous.

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

Satire is dead.

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

You couldn't make this shit up.

liverpool

"

The same will probably happen with Le Pen in France, all the media and politicians in Westminster will bad mouth Le Pen then when she wins they'll be forced to eat humble Pie again. "

yep I agree.

all our politicians are out of touch with the real world its like they are in a total different reality.

A man that is potentially going to be the leader of one of the biggest economys in the world and most powerful and potential close alley and good business deals and our politicians slate the guy left and right thinking he wasnt going to be elected and oopsie guess what he got elected now are dumb politicians have to kiss ass or forget any decent trade deals.

trump has hinted at who he wants to deal with when it comes to US/Uk relations so our goverment better pay attention and take the hint so that our country can benefit.

"You couldn't make this shit up.

"

We appear to be living on a NewsThump headline

liverpool

Anglophile

noun

Anglophile means a lover of England"

please go use online dictionary it clearly says britain

London and France

"Ambassadors tend not to be politicians though.....and long may it remain that way.

"

British Ambassadors are never politicians.

And your ambassador is to represent your country; not the country he is the ambassador to.

Americans do have a habit of appointing ex- politicians; ( or the President's mates) as ambassadors.

Trump of course has no idea what an ambassador actually does. Neither does Farage.

Anyway, Trump only said it to deflect attention away from other stuff; and Farage is just doing it to annoy people. After all, his whole raison d'être is ( and always has been) to kiss of the Conservative party, after they basically told him to fuck off many years ago.

London and France

Anglophile

noun

please go use online dictionary it clearly says britain"

I use a proper dictionary, thank you.

liverpool

Anglophile

noun

I use a proper dictionary, thank you."

well your wrong.

its england and britain.

so your intially dig about his geography just makes you look silly.

I keep hearing that Farage would be an excellent diplomat for Britain and American relations because he knows many on Trumps team.

Who knows why he knows many on trumps team?

They are all predominantly bankrolled by the same lobbyists and media outlets. I'm on about Arron Banks, Raheem Kassam, Farage. All backed by breibart news and various other online news sites, all given the same platforms in the same circles, and all in touch with the same lobbyists for industry. I hate to say it but they are just as much part of the big money side of the 'establishment'.

In short, the brexiter dream team of Farage jumping between america and britain would just be more crooks in the bank.

How about Farage makes the same point as he did when Obama 'threatened us'. Less nations states trying to influence sovereign democracy. Let our PM and the house of Commons appoint their own diplomats based on merit, not fucking pen-pals. If they appoint Farage, fair enough, but if they tell him to shut it and appoint someone with more actual experience then lets not have farage's arse wipers crying.

Gloucester

Sadly I think that Trump and Farage are natural bed fellows Both are wrapped up in Nationalist politics

Between them they have knocked back international progress decades.

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"

"

Trump has time for Farage because he knows he can use him. Look up what they were talking about at this latest meeting, it was mostly about wind farms near Trumps golf course in Scotland!

Farage would be nothing but a lap dog.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

nigel seems to be suffering from "selective amnesia" these days....

I am sure I heard him say in early june that "us presidents should not get involved in british issues".......... and yet... here we are!!!

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"nigel seems to be suffering from "selective amnesia" these days....

I am sure I heard him say in early june that "us presidents should not get involved in british issues".......... and yet... here we are!!! "

in Lancashire

[Removed by poster at 22/11/16 17:03:17]

in Lancashire

Wonder how many of Farage's supporters would have taken to Obama making a similar suggestion just before his inauguration..

ah yes, there would have been a shit storm of outrage and bluster..

West London

Ambassadorial appointments are made by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. It's more-or-less meritocratic with the normal proviso surrounding networking.

US ambassadorial appointments tend to go to political/financial supporters of the new President. The actual work is done by first secretaries.

However, having a vain glorious jingoistic as Foreign Minister and another as Ambassador to the USA is a bit much probably.

I agree with the assertion that this is probably an attempt to deflect promote serious Trump related stories. Particularly his business conflicts of interest which he will "solve" by handing the company to his children whom he clearly has no interest in or influence over.

I notice a more subdued defence Trump and Farage than I've seen before

London and France

Anglophile

noun

well your wrong.

its england and britain.

so your intially dig about his geography just makes you look silly."

This is pigeons and chess again

But an Anglophile is someone who lives England and English things .

Specifically English and nothing else

If you want to include Britain; it's a Britophile

Gloucester

Anglophile

noun

well your wrong.

its england and britain.

so your intially dig about his geography just makes you look silly.

This is pigeons and chess again

But an Anglophile is someone who lives England and English things .

Specifically English and nothing else

If you want to include Britain; it's a Britophile

"

Correct about Anglophile and Britophile.

But what does pigeons and chess mean?

liverpool

English Oxford dictionary.

A person who is fond of or greatly admires England or Britain.

Cambridge english dictionary.

a person who is not English but is interested in, likes, or supports England or the UK.

Urban dictionary

a person who favors English or British culture over their own. they consider British history, arts, music, culture, etc. (modern or historical) to be superior to their own. this person may use preferred British spelling for common words such as colour instead of color, favourite instead of favorite, centre, instead of center, grey instead of gray, etc.

Macmillan dictionary

someone who likes the UK, British people, or British things

Cannock

"English Oxford dictionary.

a person who is not English but is interested in, likes, or supports England or the UK.

Urban dictionary

a person who favors English or British culture over their own. they consider British history, arts, music, culture, etc. (modern or historical) to be superior to their own. this person may use preferred British spelling for common words such as colour instead of color, favourite instead of favorite, centre, instead of center, grey instead of gray, etc.

Macmillan dictionary

"

Quote from BBC newsnight last night "François Fillon has a Welsh wife and is an Anglophile". So the new frontrunner for the French Conservatives has a Welsh wife does he just love Wales? The BBC seem to think he loves Britain because they called him an Anglophile. If Anglophile means 'love of things English' why would he only like the English when he has a Welsh wife? It's obvious that Anglophile means a love of Britain.

liverpool

Urban dictionary

Macmillan dictionary

Quote from BBC newsnight last night "François Fillon has a Welsh wife and is an Anglophile". So the new frontrunner for the French Conservatives has a Welsh wife does he just love Wales? The BBC seem to think he loves Britain because they called him an Anglophile. If Anglophile means 'love of things English' why would he only like the English when he has a Welsh wife? It's obvious that Anglophile means a love of Britain. "

London and France

Urban dictionary

Macmillan dictionary

Quote from BBC newsnight last night "François Fillon has a Welsh wife and is an Anglophile". So the new frontrunner for the French Conservatives has a Welsh wife does he just love Wales? The BBC seem to think he loves Britain because they called him an Anglophile. If Anglophile means 'love of things English' why would he only like the English when he has a Welsh wife? It's obvious that Anglophile means a love of Britain.

"

I hope that now you guys have "regained your sovereignty " you regain your ability to use your language too.

West London

Really? Was a fight about the word "anglophile" worthwhile?

I know I was a bit flippant with the original post but it's quite significant that the President elect of another country, however powerful, feels that he can dictate anything to the UK.

I should add that an ambassador's job is to enact government policy in the country they are posted regardless of their opinion. That is diplomacy.

Farage is not diplomatic. Farage has his own agenda. Farage will not bite his tongue and support the government.

By *bandjam91Couple  over a year ago

London

Urban dictionary

Macmillan dictionary

"

The word English comes from the word Anglo-Saxon, as in Anglo-phile.

Some dictionaries may include British, usually because most Americans don't understand the difference, but if you're speaking English English than Anglo means English.

liverpool

"Really? Was a fight about the word "anglophile" worthwhile?

I know I was a bit flippant with the original post but it's quite significant that the President elect of another country, however powerful, feels that he can dictate anything to the UK.

I should add that an ambassador's job is to enact government policy in the country they are posted regardless of their opinion. That is diplomacy.

Farage is not diplomatic. Farage has his own agenda. Farage will not bite his tongue and support the government."

well I didnt want to argue about the word anglophile but when I seen somone trying to be clever and using it as a dig saying "farage showed his understanding of nations and geography when he said trunp is a anglophile he loves scotland" then used the eye roll emoji.

I simply pointed out all the dictionarys that say that anglophile includes britain.

instead of excepting this and retracting his comment he carrys on argueing.

on your point about trump.

dictate?

See even you are using words that are wrong.

trump hasnt dictated anything to the UK.

He merely said he thinks nigel would be a great ambassador to the US in a tweet.

It was just an opinion (maybe even a little hint) but no where did I see him dictate to the uk that this is what he wants to happen and if not there will be consequence.

Why do people on here always twist words.

Its like watching CNN.

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

"He, or his team, know he can effectively distract attention from substantive issues simply by throwing out a "funny" tweet. So just when he's forked out $25 million to avoid being charged with fraud, he tweets about Hamilton the musical. Just as news about TPP emerges, out pops a Farage tweet. It's classic (and apparently very effective) distraction technique.

The shame of it is how easily the ranks of highly educated journalists at BBC and just about everywhere else go "Squirrel!"

I wouldn't be surprised if he tweeted about Wayne Rooney's fitness at the same time as turning Arizona into an internment camp, and I know which would be the headline on the BBC website."

Distraction techniques have been used by everyone, probably the worst example of which was Labour on 11th September 2001... yes, 9/11.... remember "it's now a very good day to bury bad news"?

Gloucester

Urban dictionary

Macmillan dictionary

The word English comes from the word Anglo-Saxon, as in Anglo-phile.

Some dictionaries may include British, usually because most Americans don't understand the difference, but if you're speaking English English than Anglo means English."

Correct

Cannock

Urban dictionary

Macmillan dictionary

I hope that now you guys have "regained your sovereignty " you regain your ability to use your language too.

"

François Fillon is an anglophile, he only loves the English but he married a Welsh woman, laughable.

London and France

Urban dictionary

Macmillan dictionary

François Fillon is an anglophile, he only loves the English but he married a Welsh woman, laughable. "

What makes you think he is an Anglophile?

West London

well I didnt want to argue about the word anglophile but when I seen somone trying to be clever and using it as a dig saying "farage showed his understanding of nations and geography when he said trunp is a anglophile he loves scotland" then used the eye roll emoji.

I simply pointed out all the dictionarys that say that anglophile includes britain.

instead of excepting this and retracting his comment he carrys on argueing.

dictate?

He merely said he thinks nigel would be a great ambassador to the US in a tweet.

It was just an opinion (maybe even a little hint) but no where did I see him dictate to the uk that this is what he wants to happen and if not there will be consequence.

Its like watching CNN.

I'm not sure why there seems to be some idea about an on-going conspiracy. An obsession with analysis about the minutiae of vocabulary.

The main theme here is that having been so keen to "take back control" there seems to be no concern about a foreign head of state suggesting how the UK appoints it's diplomats although there was outrage at the current US President indicating his preferences during the referendum...

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

dictate?

Its like watching CNN.

I'm not sure why there seems to be some idea about an on-going conspiracy. An obsession with analysis about the minutiae of vocabulary.

The main theme here is that having been so keen to "take back control" there seems to be no concern about a foreign head of state suggesting how the UK appoints it's diplomats although there was outrage at the current US President indicating his preferences during the referendum..."

the problem with this... and you trying to defend this... is that obama merely thought that the UK should have voted not to leave the EU....

I don't see a different between what trump tweeted and what obama said in the news conference....

the issue is then that nigel then uttered the words that "a us president shouldn't get involved in british issued"..... (please don't use the trump isn't the president yet defence... that would be semantics)

so for nigel and the people who like him to complain is a double standard when nigel is in effect "hung with his own words........"

of course nigel could admonish trump for "interferring".... but he wont do that........

liverpool

"

dictate?

Its like watching CNN.

The main theme here is that having been so keen to "take back control" there seems to be no concern about a foreign head of state suggesting how the UK appoints it's diplomats although there was outrage at the current US President indicating his preferences during the referendum...

the problem with this... and you trying to defend this... is that obama merely thought that the UK should have voted not to leave the EU....

I don't see a different between what trump tweeted and what obama said in the news conference....

the issue is then that nigel then uttered the words that "a us president shouldn't get involved in british issued"..... (please don't use the trump isn't the president yet defence... that would be semantics)

so for nigel and the people who like him to complain is a double standard when nigel is in effect "hung with his own words........"

of course nigel could admonish trump for "interferring".... but he wont do that........"

its mr CNN himself.

If you cant see a difference between the president of the US telling Britain they would be back of the queue on any deals if we vote leave, in a speech (weeks before the uk was due to vote and put fear into people to vote differently), compared to trump just tweeting that he thinks farage would be great as a emassador to the US.

then you are more deluded than I thought.

comparing the two are apples and oranges.

By *dwalu2Couple  over a year ago

Bristol

Urban dictionary

Macmillan dictionary

"

Spot on.

Cannock

"

dictate?

Its like watching CNN.

of course nigel could admonish trump for "interferring".... but he wont do that........"

Are you being serious Fabio or was this a tongue in cheek post from you? You really can't compare the 2. Obama more or less threatened Britain that if we voted to Leave the EU then we would be at the back of the queue for a trade deal. Has Trump issued any threats if we don't appoint Farage as US ambassador? No I don't think Trump has issued any threats has he.

Cannock

Urban dictionary

Macmillan dictionary

François Fillon is an anglophile, he only loves the English but he married a Welsh woman, laughable.

What makes you think he is an Anglophile?"

Well your beloved BBC described François Fillon as an Anglophile on newsnight for a start. The BBC coverage said Fillon greatly admired Margaret Thatcher and wanted a Thatcherite approach to the French economy. It said he also loves drinking English tea and he married a Welsh woman. With the Welsh inclusion it implies he likes Britain not just England.

London and France

Urban dictionary

Macmillan dictionary

What makes you think he is an Anglophile?

Well your beloved BBC described François Fillon as an Anglophile on newsnight for a start. The BBC coverage said Fillon greatly admired Margaret Thatcher and wanted a Thatcherite approach to the French economy. It said he also loves drinking English tea and he married a Welsh woman. With the Welsh inclusion it implies he likes Britain not just England. "

Why do you think it's my beloved BBC?

You are making assumptions that I like the BBC. I haven't given you my thoughts on the BBC.

And as it happens, he likes " England " and Britain no more or less than the average Frenchman.

Being an admirer of Thatcher doesn't necessarily make him a lover of Britain, nor his Welsh wife ( or his brother's Welsh wife, )

Nor his liking for "English" tea ( though she does make him drink proper tea and not the watery muck the French like),

Nor the fact that he speaks excellent English, lectures at British universities regularly, or the fact that he and his brother own several British classic cars between them.

As usual, you make ( as does the BBC) generalised assumptions, which are actually non-sequiturs.

West London

I think you got me back to front on this.

I think that Obama and the Donald have made similar interventions.

Consequently either both should be condemned or neither.

I would say that Obama indicated a statement of fact rather than a threat. If US trade policy were to have continued then a deal with the UK would come way behind one with China or the EU based purely on value. Of course he was trying to influence the result of the referendum. So did China, so DoD Japan, but nobody condemned them to the same extent.

Trump is expressing his opinion in a tweet (really?) but I think one can assume this has more to do with media manipulation to distract from his conflicts of business interest. He's still seeking to influence UK policy though, just as Obama did.

I cannot identify a personal interest from Obama's intervention. I can with Trump's.

The apples look very much like oranges.

West London

...and please stop bickering about the word anglophile!

"

dictate?

Its like watching CNN.

of course nigel could admonish trump for "interferring".... but he wont do that........

Are you being serious Fabio or was this a tongue in cheek post from you? You really can't compare the 2. Obama more or less threatened Britain that if we voted to Leave the EU then we would be at the back of the queue for a trade deal. Has Trump issued any threats if we don't appoint Farage as US ambassador? No I don't think Trump has issued any threats has he. "

Forgive me if I'm wrong but trump did say his inner circle will 'have nige of speed dial'. As we he, and he expects farage to be first point of call over the PM.

I don't think farage, a lover of nation state democracy, has explained to trump that british diplomats arent given the position as a result of being best buds with someone, its merit. Also, who the fuck openly says that they wont contact a nation's leader first but instead wants their friend to play?

Babbacombe Torquay

"

dictate?

Its like watching CNN.

Are you being serious Fabio or was this a tongue in cheek post from you? You really can't compare the 2. Obama more or less threatened Britain that if we voted to Leave the EU then we would be at the back of the queue for a trade deal. Has Trump issued any threats if we don't appoint Farage as US ambassador? No I don't think Trump has issued any threats has he.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but trump did say his inner circle will 'have nige of speed dial'. As we he, and he expects farage to be first point of call over the PM.

I don't think farage, a lover of nation state democracy, has explained to trump that british diplomats arent given the position as a result of being best buds with someone, its merit. Also, who the fuck openly says that they wont contact a nation's leader first but instead wants their friend to play?"

Maybe someone who hasn't got a bloody clue about the way countries and diplomacy are run?

Trump is looking more like a fool with every day that passes.....

liverpool

"

dictate?

Its like watching CNN.

I don't think farage, a lover of nation state democracy, has explained to trump that british diplomats arent given the position as a result of being best buds with someone, its merit. Also, who the fuck openly says that they wont contact a nation's leader first but instead wants their friend to play?"

well when that nations leader and members of her government have been very rude and undiplomatic (yes undiplomatic because they was so confident of a hillary win at election they thought they could make unsavoury comments about trump and now trump won the election) why would he (the soon to be president) want to do the UK any favours.

hes give a nod and a wink who he wants as ambassador and seeing as our government are the ones that fecked up by being undiplomatic and rude and now if we want any half decent trade deals and good relationship with the US they should now shsllow their pride and appoint farage as ambassador.

Sorry but its our own governments own doing that has placed us in this situation.

Should have kept their mouths shut until they knew who was elected but no they couldn't help themselves and joined in with the biased media bashing trump.

well done conservatives you joke of a party.

you reap what you sow.

Babbacombe Torquay

Tell us exactly what rude remarks Theresa May made about Donald Trump....that's REAL remarks and not rumoured bad remarks.

By *unandbuckCouple  over a year ago

Sheffield

I name Joey Essex to be the HMRC inspector for all my tax returns.

Is this how it works??

liverpool

"Tell us exactly what rude remarks Theresa May made about Donald Trump....that's REAL remarks and not rumoured bad remarks."

you know how to use the internet dont you... or do you need to be spoon fed everything.

dont be lazy and go look for yourself

Babbacombe Torquay

"Tell us exactly what rude remarks Theresa May made about Donald Trump....that's REAL remarks and not rumoured bad remarks.

you know how to use the internet dont you... or do you need to be spoon fed everything.

dont be lazy and go look for yourself"

Back it up.....Just show us any evidence that Theresa May made any negative comments about Trump in the election.

"

dictate?

Its like watching CNN.

I don't think farage, a lover of nation state democracy, has explained to trump that british diplomats arent given the position as a result of being best buds with someone, its merit. Also, who the fuck openly says that they wont contact a nation's leader first but instead wants their friend to play?

well when that nations leader and members of her government have been very rude and undiplomatic (yes undiplomatic because they was so confident of a hillary win at election they thought they could make unsavoury comments about trump and now trump won the election) why would he (the soon to be president) want to do the UK any favours.

hes give a nod and a wink who he wants as ambassador and seeing as our government are the ones that fecked up by being undiplomatic and rude and now if we want any half decent trade deals and good relationship with the US they should now shsllow their pride and appoint farage as ambassador.

Sorry but its our own governments own doing that has placed us in this situation.

Should have kept their mouths shut until they knew who was elected but no they couldn't help themselves and joined in with the biased media bashing trump.

well done conservatives you joke of a party.

you reap what you sow."

I wont play the moral cards cause identity politics and single issues just turn into shit slinging.

But okay, a big part of Brexit and Trumps rise to power was about trade - how the EU stifles us, and how American's and working class European's have lost out due to unregulated economic globalism.

Daniel Hannan, one of the few hard leave campaigners who is respectable on many issues thinks that nation states should have a laissez-faire relationship with one another and the free market.

So basically nations and parliaments do their own thing, and other ones do not interfere at all. All the while nation states have minimal interference with the free market, and free trade happens out of self interest.

E.g, you could be a nation which does not need to import anything cause this nation has magical unlimited resources and a good range of labour, but you will still have free trade because you want to sell goods to non-producers and you want to sell them with minimal restrictions.

Right so this is the current Trump-Farage/British Parliament was a dick to them both issue comes into play. Farage and Trump hero-worshippers think that what has been said will impact a trade deal.

But it wont, Farage and Trump (though he kept changing his views) both campaigned on free trade...if they want this then who said what will not matter.

Both AMerica and Britain want to trade, therefore leaders and politicians will put aside rude comments and who said what attitudes and let trade flourish out of mutual self interest.

Unless, Trump and to a lesser extent Farage are what I expect them to be - thin skinned semi-autocrats who only act out of self interest or the interest of those who support them.

Given how Trump tried to intimidate the media with his 'firing line' of insults, he sounds like a dictator waiting to happen, as they all tend to attempt to control or intimidate the media to avoid negative press or make them walk on eggshells.

A rise in nationalism and xenophobia in Europe never ends well.But does make good movies.

"A rise in nationalism and xenophobia in Europe never ends well.But does make good movies."

Silver lining :P

The modern media love it, click bait supreme

Cannock

"

dictate?

Its like watching CNN.

Maybe you need to learn some history, as a British Ambassador to the United states has been appointed at the request of an American President before. Trump doing this is nothing new. When JFK was elected in America he requested that close family friend of the Kennedy's, David Harlech be appointed British Ambassador to the USA. The British Prime Minister at the time Harold Macmillan agreed to the American President request and appointed David Harlech as British Ambassador to the USA. Did Harlech get the job on merit or was it simply because JFK requested it from our government? So you see this really is nothing new, it been done before and Trump is doing no different than JFK, by stating his prefered choice.

Cannock

"

dictate?

Its like watching CNN.

Maybe someone who hasn't got a bloody clue about the way countries and diplomacy are run?

Trump is looking more like a fool with every day that passes....."

Or maybe looking more like JFK, who did the same when he requested David Harlech be appointed British Ambassador to the USA, which Prime Minister Harold Macmillan agreed to.

Manchester

Interesting, I didn't know that. I think those of us who believe Trump to be a clear and present danger should beware of getting distracted by some of the more frivolous acts or statements, such as him tweeting about the musical Hamilton, and concentrate on substantive issues and actions.

It wont work and the position is already filled, on question time they also said, they dont want britain to be represented by nigel as he stands for what britain aint lol.

Manchester

Of course while we get our knickers in a twist about ambassador Farage, that bastion of caring, inclusive liberalism Obama continues to ignore the horrendous actions of the police at the Dakota protest and Hillary Clinton wasn't interested in the slightest about the concerns about the Dakota pipeline.

"

dictate?

Its like watching CNN.

Maybe you need to learn some history, as a British Ambassador to the United states has been appointed at the request of an American President before. Trump doing this is nothing new. When JFK was elected in America he requested that close family friend of the Kennedy's, David Harlech be appointed British Ambassador to the USA. The British Prime Minister at the time Harold Macmillan agreed to the American President request and appointed David Harlech as British Ambassador to the USA. Did Harlech get the job on merit or was it simply because JFK requested it from our government? So you see this really is nothing new, it been done before and Trump is doing no different than JFK, by stating his prefered choice. "

Fair enough, I didn't know that. Although I would still criticise that part of history. Positions should go on merit appointed by parliament, not another nation's leader.

If par lament said we should have Farage as US ambassador one day, then fair enough, I trust that they believe he has the skills to perform the role alongside his friendship with Trump.

My main issue is Farage helped run Trump's campaign, personally I think ambassadors shouldn't have a secondary investment. eg, friends with the leader of the nation he or she is ambassador to. Just screams favouritism and cronyism risk. Though I respect that others don't see it that way and might not look at things as critically as I do.

» Add a new message to this topic