FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Tony blair says brexit can be stopped.

Tony blair says brexit can be stopped.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

There is still hope that it can be stopped and tony blair is back in politics and want the best for the country and john major supports the bid for a second referendum.

His comments came as the man he succeeded in downing street warned against brexit being dictated by the "tyranny of the (52%) majority" who voted for britain's exit in the eu referendum. What is your view and does tony have a case for it? They had a good debate about it on question time too as many brexitors didnt know they would lose the single market. I like tony and it is good that he is back

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

Hopefully it will be stopped

"Hopefully it will be stopped "

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

I think that there is a very good case for a second referendum. This is based on the fact that within hours of the polls closing the leave campaign were admitting that the claims they had on the side of their battle bus were false and since then many more of their claims have turned out to also be false.

However I doubt that there will be another vote because the out vote is beneficial to US Corporate Britain.

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"There is still hope that it can be stopped and tony blair is back in politics and want the best for the country and john major supports the bid for a second referendum.

His comments came as the man he succeeded in downing street warned against brexit being dictated by the "tyranny of the (52%) majority" who voted for britain's exit in the eu referendum. What is your view and does tony have a case for it? They had a good debate about it on question time too as many brexitors didnt know they would lose the single market. I like tony and it is good that he is back "

There is already a thread running on this subject titled "Tyranny of the majority". You may like Tony Blair but I think a good majority of the country now despise Blair, or Toxic Tony as I call him.

There should be no 2nd referendum we were all told at the time by both sides of the campaign that this was a once in a lifetime referendum on this issue.

Secondly as a leave voter I knew exactly what I was voting for. I voted to Leave the EU and the single market. As the Prime Minister at the time David Cameron told us all on numerous occasions "a vote to leave the EU is also a vote to leave the single market". It was one of Cameron's catchphrases. It was also made clear by leading figures of vote leave such as Micheal Gove on the Andrew Marr show a couple of weeks before the vote that we need to leave the EU and the single market for 3 main reasons....

1. To make UK law supreme over EU law we need to leave the EU and the single market.

2. To opt out of the EU free movement of people rules and control our borders we need to leave the EU and the single market.

3. To stop EU contribution fees/payments and take back control of our own money we need to leave the EU and the single market.

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

I doubt very much if there are many people left in this country who care what tony blair has to say.most in the labour party cant stand the man.and do we really want to listen to someone who makes a licing advising dictators

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

Living damn phone keypad

By *epper123Woman  over a year ago

London

"There is still hope that it can be stopped and tony blair is back in politics and want the best for the country and john major supports the bid for a second referendum.

His comments came as the man he succeeded in downing street warned against brexit being dictated by the "tyranny of the (52%) majority" who voted for britain's exit in the eu referendum. What is your view and does tony have a case for it? They had a good debate about it on question time too as many brexitors didnt know they would lose the single market. I like tony and it is good that he is back

There is already a thread running on this subject titled "Tyranny of the majority". You may like Tony Blair but I think a good majority of the country now despise Blair, or Toxic Tony as I call him.

There should be no 2nd referendum we were all told at the time by both sides of the campaign that this was a once in a lifetime referendum on this issue.

Secondly as a leave voter I knew exactly what I was voting for. I voted to Leave the EU and the single market. As the Prime Minister at the time David Cameron told us all on numerous occasions "a vote to leave the EU is also a vote to leave the single market". It was one of Cameron's catchphrases. It was also made clear by leading figures of vote leave such as Micheal Gove on the Andrew Marr show a couple of weeks before the vote that we need to leave the EU and the single market for 3 main reasons....

1. To make UK law supreme over EU law we need to leave the EU and the single market.

2. To opt out of the EU free movement of people rules and control our borders we need to leave the EU and the single market.

3. To stop EU contribution fees/payments and take back control of our own money we need to leave the EU and the single market. "

Tyranny thread has actually gone onto something else, much more interesting debate .... thank goodness not everything is about brexit

Cambridge

3. To stop EU contribution fees/payments and take back control of our own money we need to leave the EU and the single market. "

Farage and others said we were staying in the Single Market.

https://youtu.be/0xGt3QmRSZY

"Absolutely no one is threatening to leave the single market"

"Only a madman would leave the [single] market"

Cannock

3. To stop EU contribution fees/payments and take back control of our own money we need to leave the EU and the single market.

"Only a madman would leave the [single] market" "

LMAO, that Open Britain video you just posted a link to has already been debunked.

On the BBC Sunday Politics programme Andrew Neil did an interview with James McGrory of Open Britain, and Andrew Neil systematically took that video apart piece by piece as a complete misrepresentation of the facts and what was said. Here is a link to the Andrew Neil interview with James McGrory of Open Britain on the Sunday Politics programme......

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT8fkefynzM

Now after watching the Andrew Neil interview on the subject of your video how on earth you expect anyone to take your Open Britain video seriously is anyones guess.

It was car crash television for Open Britain and James McGrory, you can slowly see James McGrory's head slowly boiling during the 10 minute interview and by the end looks like his head is about to explode

You Remainers have the gall to suggest the vote leave campaign misrepresented the facts, and then you post a link to an Open Britain video that misrepresents what people said and is a distortion of the facts. Unbelievable!

Cambridge

"Only a madman would leave the [single] market"

LMAO, that Open Britain video you just posted a link to has already been debunked.

On the BBC Sunday Politics programme Andrew Neil did an interview with James McGrory of Open Britain, and Andrew Neil systematically took that video apart piece by piece as a complete misrepresentation of the facts and what was said. Here is a link to the Andrew Neil interview with James McGrory of Open Britain on the Sunday Politics programme......

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT8fkefynzM

Now after watching the Andrew Neil interview on the subject of your video how on earth you expect anyone to take your Open Britain video seriously is anyones guess.

It was car crash television for Open Britain and James McGrory, you can slowly see James McGrory's head slowly boiling during the 10 minute interview and by the end looks like his head is about to explode

You Remainers have the gall to suggest the vote leave campaign misrepresented the facts, and then you post a link to an Open Britain video that misrepresents what people said and is a distortion of the facts. Unbelievable! "

As Andre Neil says, the views have now seen the full clips in context and can make up their minds.

Its clear from watching them in context that they are advocating the benefits and advantages of staying in the single market.

A position they have now done a U turn on.

By *taryscorpCouple  over a year ago

boston

It better not be

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Secondly as a leave voter I knew exactly what I was voting for. I voted to Leave the EU and the single market."

Here is the nub of the problem. Despite the rest of your comment which I deleted, you did not vote for that at all.

You voted to leave the EU.

You were not asked for your vote on the single market or anything else. Of you really thought that you were actually voting for that then this is very worrying.

By *at69driveMan  over a year ago

Wisbech and A47 corridor

"Secondly as a leave voter I knew exactly what I was voting for. I voted to Leave the EU and the single market.

Here is the nub of the problem. Despite the rest of your comment which I deleted, you did not vote for that at all.

You were not asked for your vote on the single market or anything else. Of you really thought that you were actually voting for that then this is very worrying. "

Why would anyone worry over something like this . ? On a simplistic basis we voted to leave the EU and the single market . We all knew exactly what we were voting for .

If the EU drop the open border policy and reduce our contribution in addition to not enforcing EU law on us , we might consider keeping the single market .

boston

His comments came as the man he succeeded in downing street warned against brexit being dictated by the "tyranny of the (52%) majority" who voted for britain's exit in the eu referendum. What is your view and does tony have a case for it? They had a good debate about it on question time too as many brexitors didnt know they would lose the single market. I like tony and it is good that he is back "

Just so you know when we joined the EU it was only a single market that we joined not the EU laws what was the point in ww1 and ww2 ? Just so we can be told what we can and cannot do by Germany

And as for tony he is a war criminal

By *tillup4funMan  over a year ago

Wakefield

Just so you know when we joined the EU it was only a single market that we joined not the EU laws what was the point in ww1 and ww2 ? Just so we can be told what we can and cannot do by Germany

And as for tony he is a war criminal "

Cambridge

"

And as for tony he is a war criminal "

If you remember your history correctly, WWI was meant to be the war to end all wars, but it didn't. What did however end the wars of member states was the European Coal and Steal Community, the forefather of the EU. One of its stated aims was to bind the economies so closely together as to make war impossible. By leaving the EU and the single market, you would begin to unpick those binds.

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

"

If you remember your history correctly, WWI was meant to be the war to end all wars, but it didn't. What did however end the wars of member states was the European Coal and Steal Community, the forefather of the EU. One of its stated aims was to bind the economies so closely together as to make war impossible. By leaving the EU and the single market, you would begin to unpick those binds.

"

Thats one way of looking at it, or of course maybe of course people were just fed up with fighting in europe plus of course the democracies of the west were more concerned about the threat from the soviet block and then there was nato which would have intervened, again it could be asked who started most of the conflicts in the 20th century in europe? There is a point of view that suggests that instead of victory through war dominance is now through economics

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Traitor

upton wirral

Another traitor

Cambridge

"Hopefully it will be stopped Traitor"

Because I don't want to see my countrymen get poorer or stripped of their rights, sure.

Cambridge

"

Thats one way of looking at it, or of course maybe of course people were just fed up with fighting in europe plus of course the democracies of the west were more concerned about the threat from the soviet block and then there was nato which would have intervened, again it could be asked who started most of the conflicts in the 20th century in europe? There is a point of view that suggests that instead of victory through war dominance is now through economics "

If one NATO member attacked another, NATO couldn't do a thing to help actually, because support has to be unanimous.

upton wirral

"Hopefully it will be stopped Traitor

Because I don't want to see my countrymen get poorer or stripped of their rights, sure. "

You do not deny your a traitor then

Well your wrong if we stay in we will get richer in the medium to long term.

Also are rights will be restored if we leave as the European human rights act destroys are freedoms it is a disgrace

Cambridge

Because I don't want to see my countrymen get poorer or stripped of their rights, sure.

Also are rights will be restored if we leave as the European human rights act destroys are freedoms it is a disgrace"

I agree with you, if we stay in we will get richer, if we leave we will get poorer, that's why I want to stay.

Cambridge

Also are rights will be restored if we leave as the European human rights act destroys are freedoms it is a disgrace"

There is no such thing as the European Human Rights Act.

There is the Human Rights Act, a British law , which is staying even if we leave.

And there is the European Court of Human Rights, which is nothing to do with the EU, and the UK will remain a part of even if we leave.

So if you voted Leave on the basis of those you are one, misinformed, and 2, shit out of luck.

Wisbech and A47 corridor

Because I don't want to see my countrymen get poorer or stripped of their rights, sure. "

However we will be better off when we leave . We will save our contribution to the EU and have border control.

Jaguar have just announced 10000 new jobs .

By voting leave we have substantially enhanced our negotiation powers with EU members .

Manufacturers in Germany are putting pressure on their government to protect the trading relationship with Britain. Germany sells more cars to Britain than any other country in the world .

We can now negotiate from a position of strength.

Cambridge

Because I don't want to see my countrymen get poorer or stripped of their rights, sure. However we will be better off when we leave . We will save our contribution to the EU and have border control.

By voting leave we have substantially enhanced our negotiation powers with EU members .

Manufacturers in Germany are putting pressure on their government to protect the trading relationship with Britain. Germany sells more cars to Britain than any other country in the world .

We can now negotiate from a position of strength. "

Pat, we haven't left yet at its cost us £192bn already.

upton wirral

Also are rights will be restored if we leave as the European human rights act destroys are freedoms it is a disgrace

There is no such thing as the European Human Rights Act.

There is the Human Rights Act, a British law , which is staying even if we leave.

And there is the European Court of Human Rights, which is nothing to do with the EU, and the UK will remain a part of even if we leave.

So if you voted Leave on the basis of those you are one, misinformed, and 2, shit out of luck. "

The European court of human rights would have no control over us when we leave the EU and tony Blair's human right act is discusting and must be scrapped as it favours people who do not deserve human rights in mine and many others view.

upton wirral

Because I don't want to see my countrymen get poorer or stripped of their rights, sure. However we will be better off when we leave . We will save our contribution to the EU and have border control.

We can now negotiate from a position of strength. "

Cambridge

" The European court of human rights would have no control over us when we leave the EU and tony Blair's human right act is discusting and must be scrapped as it favours people who do not deserve human rights in mine and many others view.

"

The ECHR and the EU are totally separate, nothing to do with each other. If we leave the EU, we WONT leave the ECHR, because they are totally different. Whatever happens, we will remain under the jurisdiction of the ECHR.

EVERYONE deserves human rights.

Wisbech and A47 corridor

Pat, we haven't left yet at its cost us £192bn already."

Hello..Where does that figure come from. It is a lot of money. Can we ask for it back.?

By *ubble troubleCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

If you are going to be interviewed by Andrew Neil, you better be pretty bloody sure of your facts. I disagree with quite a bit of his own views but there is no more forensic interviewer on TV.The likes of Marr are a joke in comparison.

Cambridge

Pat, we haven't left yet at its cost us £192bn already. Hello..Where does that figure come from. It is a lot of money. Can we ask for it back.? "

£70bn of monetary policy measures, announced by the bank of England a few months ago, and £122bn of fiscal policy measures announced by the chancellor a few days ago.

It is indeed a lot of money, but that's just the start, I guarantee you its going to get a lot more expensive yet.

boston

"

"

The coal and steal community yes we DID have them a long time ago now

Cambridge

"

The coal and steal community yes we DID have them a long time ago now "

It ran from 1952 to 2002.

boston

Still not meet anyone that voted leave that would change the way they voted

Manchester

[Removed by poster at 26/11/16 23:54:07]

Manchester

"

The European court of human rights would have no control over us when we leave the EU and tony Blair's human right act is discusting and must be scrapped as it favours people who do not deserve human rights in mine and many others view.

"

Do you not understand that without human rights legislation you would not be able to flounce around in a dress without being beaten up by the police?

"Still not meet anyone that voted leave that would change the way they voted "
That is because the majority is working class.

boston

"Still not meet anyone that voted leave that would change the way they voted That is because the majority is working class. "

So people like me

"Still not meet anyone that voted leave that would change the way they voted That is because the majority is working class.

So people like me "

More like a mix you know and they did say that demographics played a big part too, especially oldham had many leavers, but it will be interesting to see what tony can do.

boston

"Still not meet anyone that voted leave that would change the way they voted That is because the majority is working class.

So people like me More like a mix you know and they did say that demographics played a big part too, especially oldham had many leavers, but it will be interesting to see what tony can do."

Tony can do fuck all lol when will the stay voters get it in there heads we are leaving the Eu

Cambridge

So people like me More like a mix you know and they did say that demographics played a big part too, especially oldham had many leavers, but it will be interesting to see what tony can do.

Tony can do fuck all lol when will the stay voters get it in there heads we are leaving the Eu "

We might, we might not. Hopefully we won't.

So people like me More like a mix you know and they did say that demographics played a big part too, especially oldham had many leavers, but it will be interesting to see what tony can do.

Tony can do fuck all lol when will the stay voters get it in there heads we are leaving the Eu

We might, we might not. Hopefully we won't."

boston

We might, we might not. Hopefully we won't."

We voted to leave so we will be leaving get over it

Cambridge

We voted to leave so we will be leaving get over it "

Erm...... Nope.

Cannock

Take no notice of the wind up merchants on here. You know we are leaving the EU and so do I. When Theresa May triggers article 50 please feel free to post a thread about it on here saying "I told you so".

boston

52% of voters you know the ones that could be bothered to turn up voted to leave get over it you lost more people wanted to leave then wanting to stay its over and if you think people will listen to a war criminal can stop it happening think again

With the likes of Blair, Major, Mandelson, Clegg etc coming out with shite like this, how can anyone who voted to Remain still believe they did the right thing? I would have felt bad enough about voting with them in the first place but to now have to listen to their self interested whining and disrespect for the people of this country would just completely turn my stomach and have me backing the other side

Is this Tony war monger Blair? The man who took us into an illegal war, on the back of a pack of (known) lies and ignoring the will of the people.

Is this just him wanting to do the same again? Not taking us into war, but using a pack of lies and self-interest to go against the will of the people?

bournemouth

"

Thats one way of looking at it, or of course maybe of course people were just fed up with fighting in europe plus of course the democracies of the west were more concerned about the threat from the soviet block and then there was nato which would have intervened, again it could be asked who started most of the conflicts in the 20th century in europe? There is a point of view that suggests that instead of victory through war dominance is now through economics

If one NATO member attacked another, NATO couldn't do a thing to help actually, because support has to be unanimous."

As usual you just ignore the point of a post, but to answer your point if in the almost unimaginable prospect of one nato country attacking another of course the rest would respond as the attacking country would no longer be deemed a member, now answer my questions

By *lik and PaulCouple  over a year ago

Flagrante

So people like me More like a mix you know and they did say that demographics played a big part too, especially oldham had many leavers, but it will be interesting to see what tony can do."

Tony can't do anything thankfully, he's just stirring things up, no doubt for his own benefit.

By *anesjhCouple  over a year ago

LONDON.

...................Nor me....desperate remainers clutching at straws again.

Cambridge

"Is this Tony war monger Blair? The man who took us into an illegal war, on the back of a pack of (known) lies and ignoring the will of the people.

Is this just him wanting to do the same again? Not taking us into war, but using a pack of lies and self-interest to go against the will of the people?"

It wasn't illegal

He didn't need the "will of the people" he didn't even need the will of parliament, but he still asked and got their approval. The power to declare war is part of the royal prerogative powers that have been passed from the monarch to the PM.

Cambridge

"

If one NATO member attacked another, NATO couldn't do a thing to help actually, because support has to be unanimous.

As usual you just ignore the point of a post, but to answer your point if in the almost unimaginable prospect of one nato country attacking another of course the rest would respond as the attacking country would no longer be deemed a member, now answer my questions"

Nope. If a country is attacked, it can't unilaterally invoke Article 5 (collective defence). Only the North Atlantic Council, the civilian oversight to NATO, can invoke Article 5, and it has to be by unanimous decision.

This is now considered to be one of the major weaknesses of NATO for a number of reasons, but I don't want to stray too far off topic.

Your suggestion that the member states of the ECSC and then subsequently the EU simply got bored of war I find quite simply rubbish. Especially as many of the countries still have very active militaries that are deployed in war zones around the world and have been for decades. The important thing is that they are not fighting each other, which was the point of the ECSC in the first place.

Cambridge

"Still not meet anyone that voted leave that would change the way they voted ...................Nor me....desperate remainers clutching at straws again."

I know Leavers who have changed their mind.

Cannock

"Is this Tony war monger Blair? The man who took us into an illegal war, on the back of a pack of (known) lies and ignoring the will of the people.

Is this just him wanting to do the same again? Not taking us into war, but using a pack of lies and self-interest to go against the will of the people?

It wasn't illegal

He didn't need the "will of the people" he didn't even need the will of parliament, but he still asked and got their approval. The power to declare war is part of the royal prerogative powers that have been passed from the monarch to the PM."

After the findings of the Chilcot report it beggars belief how you can sit there and defend Blair. The findings of the Chilcot report were that war in Iraq was not necessary. Blair and Bush had already decided to go to war before they knew of any intelligence on Saddams so called weapons of mass destruction. After the findings of the Chilcot report in July 2016 The house of commons debated on Tony Blair being in contempt of parliament for what he did.

By *anesjhCouple  over a year ago

LONDON.

"Still not meet anyone that voted leave that would change the way they voted ...................Nor me....desperate remainers clutching at straws again.

I know Leavers who have changed their mind. "

.........Let go of those straws and stop beating yourself up over this referendum...we voted out..we are getting out and we are staying out...now we can stand back and watch this whole evil EU project implode.

Cambridge

It wasn't illegal

He didn't need the "will of the people" he didn't even need the will of parliament, but he still asked and got their approval. The power to declare war is part of the royal prerogative powers that have been passed from the monarch to the PM.

After the findings of the Chilcot report it beggars belief how you can sit there and defend Blair. The findings of the Chilcot report were that war in Iraq was not necessary. Blair and Bush had already decided to go to war before they knew of any intelligence on Saddams so called weapons of mass destruction. After the findings of the Chilcot report in July 2016 The house of commons debated on Tony Blair being in contempt of parliament for what he did. "

If you understood the constitution, you would know that the power to go to war rests soley with the PM.

Although May can't invoke Article 50 using prerogative powers, she could declare war on Belgium tomorrow using those powers.

Strange I know, but that's the system we have.

"

As usual you just ignore the point of a post, but to answer your point if in the almost unimaginable prospect of one nato country attacking another of course the rest would respond as the attacking country would no longer be deemed a member, now answer my questions

Nope. If a country is attacked, it can't unilaterally invoke Article 5 (collective defence). Only the North Atlantic Council, the civilian oversight to NATO, can invoke Article 5, and it has to be by unanimous decision.

This is now considered to be one of the major weaknesses of NATO for a number of reasons, but I don't want to stray too far off topic.

Your suggestion that the member states of the ECSC and then subsequently the EU simply got bored of war I find quite simply rubbish. Especially as many of the countries still have very active militaries that are deployed in war zones around the world and have been for decades. The important thing is that they are not fighting each other, which was the point of the ECSC in the first place."

ever think that maybe war between European nations/powers became unlikely because of the bomb?

Cambridge

"

ever think that maybe war between European nations/powers became unlikely because of the bomb?"

The bomb that only 2 out of 28 member states has? No, what about the other 26 members, why aren't they at war with each other?

I'm not Gor getting rid if our nuclear deterrent but ?

I do think dropping the Bomb twice on Japan was still the worlds greatest war crime !!!

Holocaust aside !

[Removed by poster at 27/11/16 11:48:17]

[Removed by poster at 27/11/16 11:48:58]

From northern ireland to the nhs, blair left a real progressive blueprint, but the left has allowed it to be obliterated by iraq and instead focus what he have done for uk, such as fought for minimum wage and turned around the nhs for the better, many seem to forget that

"From northern ireland to the nhs, blair left a real progressive blueprint, but the left has allowed it to be obliterated by iraq and instead focus what he have done for uk, such as fought for minimum wage and turned around the nhs for the better, many seem to forget that "

I think Thier is some fairness in that , But Iraq will be his Legacy !

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"Still not meet anyone that voted leave that would change the way they voted ...................Nor me....desperate remainers clutching at straws again.

I know Leavers who have changed their mind. .........Let go of those straws and stop beating yourself up over this referendum...we voted out..we are getting out and we are staying out...now we can stand back and watch this whole evil EU project implode."

Evil????

FFS what are we becoming?

Is this a typical example of post truth? To state something that you know is patently not true but it satisfies your emotion and so is ok?

As a world, we need to get off this train pretty quick before lies become the norm in life.

I don't think the E U was evil , but things evolve .

I strongly suspect events will over take us any , and I could see other country's pull out before we do !

We never do out quickly

If Le Pen Wins ?

Game over !

And don't rule it out !

"

He didn't need the "will of the people" he didn't even need the will of parliament, but he still asked and got their approval. The power to declare war is part of the royal prerogative powers that have been passed from the monarch to the PM."

What a shit system if you think about it

You give the power to drop bombs on innocent people to whoever can best sell a short term plan of vague and non binding improvement ideas to the willfully ignorant masses.

Manchester

"From northern ireland to the nhs, blair left a real progressive blueprint, but the left has allowed it to be obliterated by iraq and instead focus what he have done for uk, such as fought for minimum wage and turned around the nhs for the better, many seem to forget that "

Blair and Brown financed much if the extra funding of NHS via PFI contracts in order to play politics with tax rates. PFI us ruinously expensive and the younger generation will be paying for that decision for decades.

Blair pushed for more faith schools which has given the hardliners and extremists the opportunity to create even more tensions and fault lines in our society. Living standards rose, as they have done since the War but under Blair the gap between the poorest and richest grew for the first time in decades.

Manchester

"

It wasn't illegal

You are not helping any argument about the Leave Campaign being wilfully misleading and trying to ignore constitutional convention with that answer. Blair used the same tactics, misleading the Commons and ignoring international law.

Cambridge

"

It wasn't illegal

You are not helping any argument about the Leave Campaign being wilfully misleading and trying to ignore constitutional convention with that answer. Blair used the same tactics, misleading the Commons and ignoring international law."

I'm not going to apologise for understanding the constitution.

The constitution doesn't bend to support Leave or Remain, its just is what it is.

bournemouth

"

Your suggestion that the member states of the ECSC and then subsequently the EU simply got bored of war I find quite simply rubbish. Especially as many of the countries still have very active militaries that are deployed in war zones around the world and have been for decades. The important thing is that they are not fighting each other, which was the point of the ECSC in the first place."

I didnt say they got "bored" of fighting each other I said they got fed up of the fighting and pointless killing,the country that started both the WW's had been divided in half and was in no position to start a third war and the whole of the western world had a common foe to worry about that had never happened before and again it is NATO that has kept the peace. One other point, which power is it that has been trying to push its influence east ? That has caused a lot of tensions and of course now we have the EU bosses want to create a euro army in all but name

It wasn't illegal

So are you saying he was right?

And wether he needed it or not...he got parliamentary backing by feeding the MPs on all sides a pack of lies. Including his own cabinet...as Blunkett, Straw and other former members have since stated publicly.

And as for "Royal Perogative"..... would this be the one that the PM technically has to trigger article 50...., the one that you were so against on other threads. The one that a foreign banker challenged in the high court?

Your choice of when or when not to argue a particular point as it suits me is one of the most amusing things about these forums....long may you continue!

Blair left the NHS with 100s of billions of PFI debt and interest/lease payments. This is the biggest reason the NHS is being drained of funds.... similar with schools.....biggest privatisation of the NHS in history....but kinda hidden....the man was a joke...and still is!

It wasn't illegal

And wether he needed it or not...he got parliamentary backing by feeding the MPs on all sides a pack of lies. Including his own cabinet...as Blunkett, Straw and other former members have since stated publicly.

And as for "Royal Perogative"..... would this be the one that the PM technically has to trigger article 50...., the one that you were so against on other threads. The one that a foreign banker challenged in the high court?

Your choice of when or when not to argue a particular point as it suits me is one of the most amusing things about these forums....long may you continue!"

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"it is NATO that has kept the peace."

This is not correct, although many believe it to be true. There is only one thing that has stopped WW3 and that is nuclear weapons.

"it is NATO that has kept the peace.

This is not correct, although many believe it to be true. There is only one thing that has stopped WW3 and that is nuclear weapons."

Totally true. Which is why we must never give them up. We're at minimum levels now (back in '82 we had so many that we took quite a few to the South Atlantic) but they should be enough.

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

"I doubt very much if there are many people left in this country who care what tony blair has to say.most in the labour party cant stand the man.and do we really want to listen to someone who makes a licing advising dictators"

I care deeply about what he has to say.... and so should every other sane person in this land...

Listen very carefully to what he has to say.....

and understand that everything he says is bollocks.

But can it be stopped? Is it legally binding? Who has the final say not to do it? The PM? What if the government doesn't trigger it and the next government chooses not to or say circumstances changed. I.e people die, new people are eligible to vote.

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

You need to get out more then. Whilst I would agree that most leavers would probably still vote leave it only takes 1 in 50 to change their mind for the result to be 52% remain and 48% leave. Of the people who I know that voted leave I'd say well more than 1 in 50 thinks they may have voted the wrong way.

Widnes

Tony can do fuck all lol when will the stay voters get it in there heads we are leaving the Eu "

When will leave voters accept that 37% of the country does not have the right to force the other 73% down a rout that they don't want to go down.

Widnes

I wouldn't bet the farm on it if I were you.

Widnes

We voted to leave so we will be leaving get over it

Take no notice of the wind up merchants on here. You know we are leaving the EU and so do I. When Theresa May triggers article 50 please feel free to post a thread about it on here saying "I told you so". "

Article 50 is the start, not the end of the process. I'm actually becoming less and less convinced that article 50 will be triggered in March. What I really don't understand is why the Government doesn't just get on with it and put an Article 50 vote before parliament rather than wasting time in the courts, possibly even ending up in the European Court of Justice. Every day that goes by from the referendum result lessens the vote leave mandate and increases the likelihood that an Article 50 vote won't get through parliament.

The vote was to leave Europe end of ..... but tell you what why not have another and another til the people that want to stay get that result eh ?.

Its like the old coin toss thing best out of 3 , didn't like that result best out of 5 etc etc.

Give it up as at the end of the day none of these analist know whats going to happen til we actually leave Europe but as usual the limp wristed left wing shout the loudest when they don't get their own way so everyone should listen to them.

Widnes

"With the likes of Blair, Major, Mandelson, Clegg etc coming out with shite like this, how can anyone who voted to Remain still believe they did the right thing? I would have felt bad enough about voting with them in the first place but to now have to listen to their self interested whining and disrespect for the people of this country would just completely turn my stomach and have me backing the other side"

But you voted leave any how so the fact that you don't like them is really rather irrelevant.

Wakefield

When will leave voters accept that 37% of the country does not have the right to force the other 73% down a rout that they don't want to go down. "

Only 35% voted leave 28% left it up to the rest of us to decide so neither side can claim the 28%.

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

When will leave voters accept that 37% of the country does not have the right to force the other 73% down a rout that they don't want to go down. "

When will you be able to add up to 100?

And when will remain voters accept that only 34% of the country voted to stay in the EU, and does not have the right to force the other 66% to remain in the EU?

Widnes

"The vote was to leave Europe end of ..... but tell you what why not have another and another til the people that want to stay get that result eh ?.

Its like the old coin toss thing best out of 3 , didn't like that result best out of 5 etc etc.

Give it up as at the end of the day none of these analist know whats going to happen til we actually leave Europe but as usual the limp wristed left wing shout the loudest when they don't get their own way so everyone should listen to them. "

Not everyone one who wants to remain is a limp wristed left winger. In fact I'd say the most constant supporters of the EU and Britain remaining in it are actually the pragmatic, economically right of centre, conservatives. The ones who aren't willing to sell their country out for a bit of pointless, jingoistic flag waving.

"Still not meet anyone that voted leave that would change the way they voted

You need to get out more then. Whilst I would agree that most leavers would probably still vote leave it only takes 1 in 50 to change their mind for the result to be 52% remain and 48% leave. Of the people who I know that voted leave I'd say well more than 1 in 50 thinks they may have voted the wrong way. "

Of the people I know who voted to leave still believe they voted correctly the first time and moreover the people ive spoken to who voted to stay have actually said they were ok with the outcome but now don't want to wait for 2 years to leave and should be done asap because as soon as we leave others will follow.

For those who truly want to be part of Europe with non of the benefits being in the uk gives them feel free to use dover ferry ports ........... but youll be back before Merkel says your not welcome here !

You need to get out more then. Whilst I would agree that most leavers would probably still vote leave it only takes 1 in 50 to change their mind for the result to be 52% remain and 48% leave. Of the people who I know that voted leave I'd say well more than 1 in 50 thinks they may have voted the wrong way.

Of the people I know who voted to leave still believe they voted correctly the first time and moreover the people ive spoken to who voted to stay have actually said they were ok with the outcome but now don't want to wait for 2 years to leave and should be done asap because as soon as we leave others will follow.

For those who truly want to be part of Europe with non of the benefits being in the uk gives them feel free to use dover ferry ports ........... but youll be back before Merkel says your not welcome here ! "

The benefits I get outside the UK are much larger than in the UK. Happy to be in Europe. The issue is people are misinformed on what goes on in the continent. Or maybe there are only benefits from the EU who are already better off. It is a capitalist world to be fair.

Maybe Brexiters need communism. Bring power to the people. We don't want the EU meddling in our business. Make Britain great again. Brexiters in the forum sounds too much like the Cuban revolutionaries.

When will leave voters accept that 37% of the country does not have the right to force the other 73% down a rout that they don't want to go down.

"

Probably didn't put the "X" in the right box either. This is something that seems to be a problem with remain voters - their inability to count

By *ary_ArgyllMan  over a year ago

Argyll

"

Do you not understand that without human rights legislation you would not be able to flounce around in a dress without being beaten up by the police?"

There is a lot of confusion between the European Court of Human Rights and the Court of Justice of the European Union - they are separate bodies ratified through different international Conventions. The CJEU rules on whether governments have infringed EU Directives and it is that court which will no longer have oversight once we leave the EU.

Leaving the ECHR would require withdrawing from the European Convention on Human Rights - which was not what the Brexit referendum was about - although the UK government has threatened at times to withdraw when judgements went against it, for example on the voting rights of prisoners in UK custody.

Only 35% voted leave 28% left it up to the rest of us to decide so neither side can claim the 28%. "

Then that makes 37% voted Remain...

For those who truly want to be part of Europe with non of the benefits being in the uk gives them feel free to use dover ferry ports ........... but youll be back before Merkel says your not welcome here !

The benefits I get outside the UK are much larger than in the UK. Happy to be in Europe. The issue is people are misinformed on what goes on in the continent. Or maybe there are only benefits from the EU who are already better off. It is a capitalist world to be fair.

Maybe Brexiters need communism. Bring power to the people. We don't want the EU meddling in our business. Make Britain great again. Brexiters in the forum sounds too much like the Cuban revolutionaries."

Are the benefits you would get throughout the EU much larger than in the UK? If so please inform the misinformed as to what they are and what happens on the continent

"The vote was to leave Europe end of ..... but tell you what why not have another and another til the people that want to stay get that result eh ?.

Give it up as at the end of the day none of these analist know whats going to happen til we actually leave Europe but as usual the limp wristed left wing shout the loudest when they don't get their own way so everyone should listen to them.

Not everyone one who wants to remain is a limp wristed left winger. In fact I'd say the most constant supporters of the EU and Britain remaining in it are actually the pragmatic, economically right of centre, conservatives. The ones who aren't willing to sell their country out for a bit of pointless, jingoistic flag waving."

Just the ones who want to stay on the undemocratic gravy train that further lines the pockets of the haves at Tegan expense of the have nots....? The biggest campaigners for remain were the fat cat politicians and bankers. The very ones who caused the 2008 crash and penalised the rest to pay for their cock ups....?

Wakefield

[Removed by poster at 27/11/16 23:22:55]

Wakefield

Only 35% voted leave 28% left it up to the rest of us to decide so neither side can claim the 28%.

Then that makes 37% voted Remain..."

Sorry 37$% voted leave but you still cant claim the other 28% and we are still leaving.

Cambridge

It wasn't illegal

Your choice of when or when not to argue a particular point as it suits me is one of the most amusing things about these forums....long may you continue!"

Your post shows you ignorance as to what the royal prerogative powers are, and what they can and cannot be used for. In your defence, even the PM doesn't know either, however it is a simple thing you can look up. As ever, Google is your friend.

So as I mentioned before royal prerogative powers can be used to declare wars, but not to repeal acts of parliament.

That power rests with parliament (because parliament is supreme). Parliament alone can create primary legislation, and parliament alone can repeal it.

Because we entered the predecessor to the EU through an act of parliament, we can only leave by act of parliament.

So I'm not arguing constitutional points when they suit me, as I said about, the constitution does not bend to the will of leave or remain, it just is what it is. In fact someone above said that my point was supporting the Leave campaign.

[Removed by poster at 27/11/16 23:59:13]

Maybe Brexiters need communism. Bring power to the people. We don't want the EU meddling in our business. Make Britain great again. Brexiters in the forum sounds too much like the Cuban revolutionaries.

Are the benefits you would get throughout the EU much larger than in the UK? If so please inform the misinformed as to what they are and what happens on the continent"

30% tax free

Free lunch

Free travel to work

Tax rebate on mortgage on child care

Holiday pay 8% pay

Better employment law, hard to dismiss unfairly

Better housing law, hard to evict or raise the rent

Basic health care that is affordable, which is affordable.

Get in and out of a hospital for emergency appointments within 30 min.

These are the work benefits. I cannot comment on social care or unemployment benefits since I've not researched it.

It wasn't illegal

Your choice of when or when not to argue a particular point as it suits me is one of the most amusing things about these forums....long may you continue!

Your post shows you ignorance as to what the royal prerogative powers are, and what they can and cannot be used for. In your defence, even the PM doesn't know either, however it is a simple thing you can look up. As ever, Google is your friend.

So as I mentioned before royal prerogative powers can be used to declare wars, but not to repeal acts of parliament.

That power rests with parliament (because parliament is supreme). Parliament alone can create primary legislation, and parliament alone can repeal it.

Because we entered the predecessor to the EU through an act of parliament, we can only leave by act of parliament.

So I'm not arguing constitutional points when they suit me, as I said about, the constitution does not bend to the will of leave or remain, it just is what it is. In fact someone above said that my point was supporting the Leave campaign. "

You are very correct in your assessment.

Widnes

Probably didn't put the "X" in the right box either. This is something that seems to be a problem with remain voters - their inability to count "

Long before you learn how to put a sensible point across. But 63% works just as well as for me.

I honestly think this whole referendum was totally scripted, ie

If the Country votes to remain then fine, nothings required to change

but...

If a leave vote comes through, Cameron will go, a new PM will come in who is a remainer at heart but will declare we're leaving to not upset the apple cart... but...

she knows a challenge through the courts will happen "already decided / known about before hand", she'll keep banging the "we're gonna leave honest" drum while backstage it's getting set to overturn / go against leaving / delaying or even overturning the decision to leave the EU but not by Parliament but by the house of lords.

That way NO MP's would be liable or have anything to do with going against the publics wishes.

They can be seen wringing their hands at the "ghastly" decision to shatter Brexit by The House Of Lords, unelected, can't do fuck all back to them, can't vote them out, nothing.

That way the country has supposedly had it's say, but untouchables decide the publics made enough decisions for it's self and basically said nah you've played enough Politics now crawl back to whatever hovels you've come from and let your betters decide whats what

It wasn't illegal

So I'm not arguing constitutional points when they suit me, as I said about, the constitution does not bend to the will of leave or remain, it just is what it is. In fact someone above said that my point was supporting the Leave campaign. "

Agreed totally. We entered the predecessor of the EU by an act of parliament (the common market or the EEC.) However we left that when it ceased to exist and we joined the EU by prerogative decision as various treaties were signed by successive prime ministers. Therefore that should be how we leave it.

That was however, challenged in the high court by a foreign banker.... as it happens. The high court, for now, ruled in her favour. The appeal court may (or may not) change that back.

All irrelevant really as Labour have said they will support the triggering of article 50 either way should it be required to bring it before parliament.

Widnes

Not everyone one who wants to remain is a limp wristed left winger. In fact I'd say the most constant supporters of the EU and Britain remaining in it are actually the pragmatic, economically right of centre, conservatives. The ones who aren't willing to sell their country out for a bit of pointless, jingoistic flag waving.

Just the ones who want to stay on the undemocratic gravy train that further lines the pockets of the haves at Tegan expense of the have nots....? The biggest campaigners for remain were the fat cat politicians and bankers. The very ones who caused the 2008 crash and penalised the rest to pay for their cock ups....?"

So are you saying that if we hadn't been in the EU there wouldn't have been a crash in 2008 or that there wouldn't have been bankers to cause the crash. Or are you just trying to throw mud at anyone who won't go along with your reckless ideas to bankrupt your own country and put millions of British peoples jobs at needless risk just so you can pretend you're some sort of national patriot.

Widnes

It wasn't illegal

So I'm not arguing constitutional points when they suit me, as I said about, the constitution does not bend to the will of leave or remain, it just is what it is. In fact someone above said that my point was supporting the Leave campaign.

Agreed totally. We entered the predecessor of the EU by an act of parliament (the common market or the EEC.) However we left that when it ceased to exist and we joined the EU by prerogative decision as various treaties were signed by successive prime ministers. Therefore that should be how we leave it.

That was however, challenged in the high court by a foreign banker.... as it happens. The high court, for now, ruled in her favour. The appeal court may (or may not) change that back.

All irrelevant really as Labour have said they will support the triggering of article 50 either way should it be required to bring it before parliament."

Which does beg the question of why the hell doesn't the government just get on with it and the place a vote before parliament rather than creating more delay and uncertainty? Even more bizarre is the fact that a lot of leavers seem to be backing this unnecessary delay. They don't seem to realise that if article 50 is not triggered correctly and in accordance to law then legally it's not actually triggered at all. Even more worryingly, as article 50 is part of European law, not UK law, even if the government wins in the Supreme Court, the final legal arbitrator and court for this matter is the European Court of Justice, so it could be delayed for years.

I'm not in favour of us leaving but if we must leave then it must be done correctly and in accordance to both due process and law.

As to your argument that we left the EC and joined the EU using prerogative powers - it's both untrue and irrelevant. The EC became the EU, in law there is no difference. EU law only has effect in this country because of the 1972 European Community Act. While that remains we are still bound by EU law and only a vote in parliament can repeal it.

boston

Love to no where you get your numbers from ?

Anyone who believes a single word that Tony Blair says doesn't have a shred of sense. The man is a phony and a fraud. Oh yes, he's also a war criminal and an absolute turd.

Are the benefits you would get throughout the EU much larger than in the UK? If so please inform the misinformed as to what they are and what happens on the continent

30% tax free

Free lunch

Free travel to work

Tax rebate on mortgage on child care

Holiday pay 8% pay

Better employment law, hard to dismiss unfairly

Better housing law, hard to evict or raise the rent

Basic health care that is affordable, which is affordable.

Get in and out of a hospital for emergency appointments within 30 min.

These are the work benefits. I cannot comment on social care or unemployment benefits since I've not researched it.

"

These are the work benefits for you maybe in one job in one city but I'm struggling to see how those benefits are much larger than ones you can get in the UK, plenty of jobs here offer similar.

So what happens on the rest of the continent? Or are you not that well informed?

And on another point it is the Brexiters who would rather move away from communism thank you, which is the way the EU is heading and why it is failing

The sooner this warmonger is put on trial for war crimes the better.

Horrible hateful toad

Brexit was voted for by a majority.

It HAS to be delivered

Not everyone one who wants to remain is a limp wristed left winger. In fact I'd say the most constant supporters of the EU and Britain remaining in it are actually the pragmatic, economically right of centre, conservatives. The ones who aren't willing to sell their country out for a bit of pointless, jingoistic flag waving."

Then you'd be wrong. The most consistant supporters are essentially traitors.

The EU design is that different national interest groups and elites will shift their loyalty away from national institutions toward the supranational European institution. This is intended to lead to an establishment of elite groups in member countries holding pan-European ideas and norms. These groups will have loyalties to supranational co-operation and not to the national interests of the countries they are from.

Basically, just up Blairs street

North West

"

It HAS to be delivered"

No it doesn't.

A responsible government will act for the good for as near 100% of the population as possible. That means of course taking on board those who voted for Brexit, but also being mindful of those who voted against it, those who used their democratic right not to vote and those who could not vote despite paying taxes and having no opportunity to have their say.

We have Parliamentary democracy in this country and long may it continue.

Except that any MP (who is a represenative of the people) who attempts to block brexit risks losing their seat in 2020.

"

It HAS to be delivered

No it doesn't.

A responsible government will act for the good for as near 100% of the population as possible. That means of course taking on board those who voted for Brexit, but also being mindful of those who voted against it, those who used their democratic right not to vote and those who could not vote despite paying taxes and having no opportunity to have their say.

We have Parliamentary democracy in this country and long may it continue."

And parliament voted 6:1 to hold a referendum and to abide by the result....so you already have your parliamentary democracy. And the democracy of the people....

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

Pat, we haven't left yet at its cost us £192bn already. Hello..Where does that figure come from. It is a lot of money. Can we ask for it back.?

£70bn of monetary policy measures, announced by the bank of England a few months ago, and £122bn of fiscal policy measures announced by the chancellor a few days ago.

It is indeed a lot of money, but that's just the start, I guarantee you its going to get a lot more expensive yet. "

Is this not like me sending H Xmas shopping on her own?

"How much you spend?"

"No clue"

"Got receipts?"

"Some, lost some"

"Roughly then?"

"£300ish, maybe"

"I'll leave £600 in the account"

So they are "measures" money put in place if needed..

Tony Blair, huh huh, I'd sooner believe someone that said the world was going to end tomorrow..

Whether i'm an inny or outy doesn't matter, The vote was taken , out won, it was democratic, so now stfu & get on with it..

Just as an aside, Everyone was saying think of future generations, well the students screamed "You stupid old people have ruined our futures" at the same time as figures released showed less than 30% of their age range bothered to vote, their futures weren't stolen from them, they gave them away through apathy.

S

"

It HAS to be delivered

No it doesn't.

And parliament voted 6:1 to hold a referendum and to abide by the result....so you already have your parliamentary democracy. And the democracy of the people...."

Precisely

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

"

Just as an aside, Everyone was saying think of future generations, well the students screamed "You stupid old people have ruined our futures" at the same time as figures released showed less than 30% of their age range bothered to vote, their futures weren't stolen from them, they gave them away through apathy.

S"

64%

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/09/young-people-referendum-turnout-brexit-twice-as-high

-Matt

Cambridge

"

It HAS to be delivered

No it doesn't.

And parliament voted 6:1 to hold a referendum and to abide by the result....so you already have your parliamentary democracy. And the democracy of the people....

Precisely"

"And to abide by the result" really? Are you sure? Have you read the Act? You might be surprised.

North West

"

It HAS to be delivered

No it doesn't.

And parliament voted 6:1 to hold a referendum and to abide by the result....so you already have your parliamentary democracy. And the democracy of the people...."

You should check your facts. The referendum was advisory and therefore nothing to legally abide to other than to "hear" what a small majority wanted. There is no precedent in any kind of law to mandate wholesale changes to the population of a country because 26% said that it was what they wanted. You have to have been living under a rock for the last six months not to have known that.

Cannock

Love to no where you get your numbers from ?"

Probably nursery school as he thinks the UK has a population of 110%.

Cannock

"

It HAS to be delivered

No it doesn't.

You should check your facts. The referendum was advisory and therefore nothing to legally abide to other than to "hear" what a small majority wanted. There is no precedent in any kind of law to mandate wholesale changes to the population of a country because 26% said that it was what they wanted. You have to have been living under a rock for the last six months not to have known that. "

Yet you and other fab tories seemed perfectly happy when the Conservative party won the general election and govern the country on only around 30% of the national vote. Plus if you remember the £9 million taxpayer funded pro EU propaganda leaflet sent out by Cameron and the government to every house in the land it said inside that leaflet that the government would deliver on the result of the referendum.

Wakefield

"

It HAS to be delivered

No it doesn't.

You should check your facts. The referendum was advisory and therefore nothing to legally abide to other than to "hear" what a small majority wanted. There is no precedent in any kind of law to mandate wholesale changes to the population of a country because 26% said that it was what they wanted. You have to have been living under a rock for the last six months not to have known that.

Yet you and other fab tories seemed perfectly happy when the Conservative party won the general election and govern the country on only around 30% of the national vote. Plus if you remember the £9 million taxpayer funded pro EU propaganda leaflet sent out by Cameron and the government to every house in the land it said inside that leaflet that the government would deliver on the result of the referendum. "

Yes it did.

Wisbech and A47 corridor

"

It HAS to be delivered

No it doesn't.

You should check your facts. The referendum was advisory and therefore nothing to legally abide to other than to "hear" what a small majority wanted. There is no precedent in any kind of law to mandate wholesale changes to the population of a country because 26% said that it was what they wanted. You have to have been living under a rock for the last six months not to have known that. "

Everyone knew what they were voting for .

It is irrelevant whether or not it was advisory .

I would prefer if we concentrated on our future and the wishes of th e majority . We can ignore those who failed to vote .

I believe in democracy and respecting people's wishes .

Wisbech and A47 corridor

"

It HAS to be delivered

No it doesn't.

We have Parliamentary democracy in this country and long may it continue."

And if the result was by constituency the leave vote was even higher

Why consider those who could not be bothered to vote .

Is that not like saying that you should get bank interest even though you had no money in your account .

It simply does not make any sense .

"Except that any MP (who is a represenative of the people) who attempts to block brexit risks losing their seat in 2020.

"

That's why I think if Brexit is going to be blocked "which I do" then it won't come from the MP's, it will be through the unelected House of Lords.

Widnes

"Except that any MP (who is a represenative of the people) who attempts to block brexit risks losing their seat in 2020.

"

I wouldn't be show sure of that. It's a long time until 2020 and if BREXIT goes as badly as many fear it will, especially if the government keeps trying to implement it incompetently and counter to due process, you may well find that those MPs that didn't do their job properly and waved it all through are the once the people actually tern against.

Widnes

"

It HAS to be delivered

No it doesn't.

Yet you and other fab tories seemed perfectly happy when the Conservative party won the general election and govern the country on only around 30% of the national vote. Plus if you remember the £9 million taxpayer funded pro EU propaganda leaflet sent out by Cameron and the government to every house in the land it said inside that leaflet that the government would deliver on the result of the referendum. "

But it's not within the power of the government to deliver it. It's only parliament that can do that because parliament chose to only allow an advisory referendum.

To be fair to the government it is trying to deliver it but so far is making a bit of a mess of it.

Cambridge

"

My area voted remain and at a very large community meeting our MP was told that she wouldn't get elected again if she voted to leave.

Widnes

"

It HAS to be delivered

No it doesn't.

You should check your facts. The referendum was advisory and therefore nothing to legally abide to other than to "hear" what a small majority wanted. There is no precedent in any kind of law to mandate wholesale changes to the population of a country because 26% said that it was what they wanted. You have to have been living under a rock for the last six months not to have known that. Everyone knew what they were voting for .

It is irrelevant whether or not it was advisory .

I would prefer if we concentrated on our future and the wishes of th e majority . We can ignore those who failed to vote .

I believe in democracy and respecting people's wishes ."

It's not irrelevant whether parliament chose to give a binding referendum or an advisory one, it's absolutely fundamental in law. What you don't seem to realise is that if article 50 is not triggered correctly and in accordance with the law them it's simply not triggered at all. Is that what you want? For the government to trigger article 50 and then, maybe two or three years down the line, for someone to challenge it in the European Court of Justice and only them find out that we never actually left. And make no mistake about it, the final arbitrator on Article 50, as it's European law, is the European Court of Justice.

I really can't understand why leavers aren't insisting that this whole thing is done in such away that it is absolutely and completely unchallengeable in any court either here or in Europe. It's almost like they're the ones that don't actually want BREXIT to really happen.

My area voted remain and at a very large community meeting our MP was told that she wouldn't get elected again if she voted to leave."

then I sincerely hope she voted to leave. Who went into the ballot box with her to check?

Cambridge

[Removed by poster at 28/11/16 19:09:44]

Cambridge

My area voted remain and at a very large community meeting our MP was told that she wouldn't get elected again if she voted to leave.

then I sincerely hope she voted to leave. Who went into the ballot box with her to check?"

We are talking about how she will vote in parliament

then I sincerely hope she voted to leave. Who went into the ballot box with her to check?

We are talking about how she will vote in parliament "

how can she vote in parliament to remain or leave? The decision has been made

how can she vote in parliament to remain or leave? The decision has been made"

Its been explained numerous times, the referendum was advisory only, parliament now has to vote on wether Brexit actually happens or not and that's where the MP's will vote for or against Brexit but even if parliament vote for Brexit the house of lords could still throw a great spanner in the works and possibly stop Brexit in its tracks.

Its been explained numerous times, the referendum was advisory only, parliament now has to vote on wether Brexit actually happens or not and that's where the MP's will vote for or against Brexit but even if parliament vote for Brexit the house of lords could still throw a great spanner in the works and possibly stop Brexit in its tracks."

sorry, you are mistaken

Its been explained numerous times, the referendum was advisory only, parliament now has to vote on wether Brexit actually happens or not and that's where the MP's will vote for or against Brexit but even if parliament vote for Brexit the house of lords could still throw a great spanner in the works and possibly stop Brexit in its tracks.

sorry, you are mistaken"

In what way ? Please explain?

Cannock

sorry, you are mistaken

In what way ? Please explain?"

First of all the tories have a majority in Parliament, and Labour said they would not block Brexit if it comes to a vote in Parliament, so either by royal perogative from the Prime Minister or by vote in Parliament supported by Labour article 50 and Brexit will happen. The house of Lords can try to block it but they would face a huge public backlash if they did and the House of Commons can over rule the house of Lords anyway.

sorry, you are mistaken

First of all the tories have a majority in Parliament, and Labour said they would not block Brexit if it comes to a vote in Parliament, so either by royal perogative from the Prime Minister or by vote in Parliament supported by Labour article 50 and Brexit will happen. The house of Lords can try to block it but they would face a huge public backlash if they did and the House of Commons can over rule the house of Lords anyway. "

True but stiff opposition to Brexit from the house of Lords could do anything.

sorry, you are mistaken

First of all the tories have a majority in Parliament, and Labour said they would not block Brexit if it comes to a vote in Parliament, so either by royal perogative from the Prime Minister or by vote in Parliament supported by Labour article 50 and Brexit will happen. The house of Lords can try to block it but they would face a huge public backlash if they did and the House of Commons can over rule the house of Lords anyway.

True but stiff opposition to Brexit from the house of Lords could do anything."

It can't. Once Article 50 is triggered and there are relatively few MP's who will oppose that, that's it, under the terms of the Lisbon Treaty after 2 years we are out, there is no going back The government has said it will give Parliament the chance to vote on terms of leaving throughout and at the end of discussions but those votes won't be legally binding and anyway if Parliament doesn't accept the deal the government has made with the EU after 2 years then we just have to leave without a deal.

Widnes

sorry, you are mistaken

It can't. Once Article 50 is triggered and there are relatively few MP's who will oppose that, that's it, under the terms of the Lisbon Treaty after 2 years we are out, there is no going back The government has said it will give Parliament the chance to vote on terms of leaving throughout and at the end of discussions but those votes won't be legally binding and anyway if Parliament doesn't accept the deal the government has made with the EU after 2 years then we just have to leave without a deal. "

But then there is Article 127 of the European Economic Area which also may need to be triggered for us to leave the EEA (Single Market) and there has been no referendum, binding or otherwise, on that.

I honestly think that BREXIT could well be lost and, if it is, it will because of BREXITers own intransigence and refusal to accept and follow the laws of this land.

Cambridge

sorry, you are mistaken

It can't. Once Article 50 is triggered and there are relatively few MP's who will oppose that, that's it, under the terms of the Lisbon Treaty after 2 years we are out, there is no going back The government has said it will give Parliament the chance to vote on terms of leaving throughout and at the end of discussions but those votes won't be legally binding and anyway if Parliament doesn't accept the deal the government has made with the EU after 2 years then we just have to leave without a deal.

But then there is Article 127 of the European Economic Area which also may need to be triggered for us to leave the EEA (Single Market) and there has been no referendum, binding or otherwise, on that.

I honestly think that BREXIT could well be lost and, if it is, it will because of BREXITers own intransigence and refusal to accept and follow the laws of this land."

And God help us if they completely shred our constitution trying to get us out.

sorry, you are mistaken

I honestly think that BREXIT could well be lost and, if it is, it will because of BREXITers own intransigence and refusal to accept and follow the laws of this land.

And God help us if they completely shred our constitution trying to get us out. "

what constitution? God is a Brexiter by the way

Manchester

" God is a Brexiter by the way "

Riddled with contradictions, prepared to sacrifice his own son to prove a point, claims to be merciful but wiped out entire cities because a few folk have questioned him or ignored him. Yep, I think you might be onto something

" God is a Brexiter by the way

Riddled with contradictions, prepared to sacrifice his own son to prove a point, claims to be merciful but wiped out entire cities because a few folk have questioned him or ignored him. Yep, I think you might be onto something "

you seem to know a lot about God

Cambridge

"

what constitution? God is a Brexiter by the way "

Our constitution.

"

Our constitution. "

What do you mean by 'ours'? The UK doesn't have one

By *oorland2Couple  over a year ago

Stoke

"I think that there is a very good case for a second referendum. This is based on the fact that within hours of the polls closing the leave campaign were admitting that the claims they had on the side of their battle bus were false and since then many more of their claims have turned out to also be false.

However I doubt that there will be another vote because the out vote is beneficial to US Corporate Britain. "

There is no case what so ever for 2nd vote, it was a simple choice, and if simple decisions are baffling you shouldn't vote at all

We voted out, get over it! Move on!

Sooner we leave the better

And as for Tony Blair he is lying deceitful twat of the highest degree, he only lines the pockets of the sycophantic Blairs

He should have been shot as a traitor years back. He is such a snake that he has never publicly had the decency to apologise for those he sent to their deaths

Stoke

sorry, you are mistaken

It can't. Once Article 50 is triggered and there are relatively few MP's who will oppose that, that's it, under the terms of the Lisbon Treaty after 2 years we are out, there is no going back The government has said it will give Parliament the chance to vote on terms of leaving throughout and at the end of discussions but those votes won't be legally binding and anyway if Parliament doesn't accept the deal the government has made with the EU after 2 years then we just have to leave without a deal. "

Let be truthful, if we ever wanted us to rejoin we would be welcomed back with open arms, we are actually one of the few who contribute more than we receive.

Italy bust

Spain bust

Greece bust

Then we have the no hopers from the east of Europe,

It's logical we have money they need it, plain and simple

Cambridge

"

Our constitution.

What do you mean by 'ours'? The UK doesn't have one"

Of course we do!

bournemouth

"

Our constitution.

Of course we do! "

We have no official written one although there have been calls in recent years to have a one, but then look how the US struggles with trying to amend their gun laws because of thiers

"

Our constitution.

Of course we do! "

where can I read it?

Cambridge

"

Our constitution.

Of course we do!

We have no official written one although there have been calls in recent years to have a one, but then look how the US struggles with trying to amend their gun laws because of thiers "

Do you mean we don't have a codified constitution?

Widnes

"I think that there is a very good case for a second referendum. This is based on the fact that within hours of the polls closing the leave campaign were admitting that the claims they had on the side of their battle bus were false and since then many more of their claims have turned out to also be false.

However I doubt that there will be another vote because the out vote is beneficial to US Corporate Britain.

There is no case what so ever for 2nd vote, it was a simple choice, and if simple decisions are baffling you shouldn't vote at all

And as for Tony Blair he is lying deceitful twat of the highest degree, he only lines the pockets of the sycophantic Blairs

He should have been shot as a traitor years back. He is such a snake that he has never publicly had the decency to apologise for those he sent to their deaths"

Is shooting those that don't agree with BREXIT the next unconstitutional and illegal way BREXITers are going to try and force this unwanted policy on the British people?

bournemouth

"

Our constitution.

Of course we do!

We have no official written one although there have been calls in recent years to have a one, but then look how the US struggles with trying to amend their gun laws because of thiers

Do you mean we don't have a codified constitution? "

Yes its not written down as such,apart from the US which I think we all know does have a written one I dont whether other countries have written ones or not

By *lik and PaulCouple  over a year ago

Flagrante

He should have been shot as a traitor years back. He is such a snake that he has never publicly had the decency to apologise for those he sent to their deaths

Is shooting those that don't agree with BREXIT the next unconstitutional and illegal way BREXITers are going to try and force this unwanted policy on the British people?"

Unwanted??

Cambridge

"

Our constitution.

Of course we do!

Yes its not written down as such,apart from the US which I think we all know does have a written one I dont whether other countries have written ones or not"

It is written down. Its just uncodified.

"

Our constitution.

Of course we do!

Yes its not written down as such,apart from the US which I think we all know does have a written one I dont whether other countries have written ones or not

It is written down. Its just uncodified."

doesn't uncodified mean not written down, or largely not written down?

bournemouth

"

Our constitution.

Of course we do!

It is written down. Its just uncodified."

Go on then provide a link to the uk constitution, you know the one where its all written down in one place, I googled it and they cant find it so good luck

Stoke

Is shooting those that don't agree with BREXIT the next unconstitutional and illegal way BREXITers are going to try and force this unwanted policy on the British people?"

The British people voted to leave the EU in a very democratic process, the options were a simple in or out, or was the question on the paper too difficult for some of you to understand

Eh?

Personally, I wouldn't condone shooting anyone.

The last I heard, the British people voted in a democratic poll to leave the EU. Surely that makes leaving a wanted policy by the majority of voters?

Cambridge

"

Go on then provide a link to the uk constitution, you know the one where its all written down in one place, I googled it and they cant find it so good luck"

Uncodified means its not all written in one place.

"

Go on then provide a link to the uk constitution, you know the one where its all written down in one place, I googled it and they cant find it so good luck

Uncodified means its not all written in one place. "

Uncodified - Absent from legaslative statutes and existing only by virtue of the common law. Sometimes used in a wider sense to refer to principles that are entirely unwritten.

North West

"

The British people voted to leave the EU in a very democratic process, the options were a simple in or out, or was the question on the paper too difficult for some of you to understand "

What you have said may be true but we have a Parliamentary democracy in this country and it exists to prevent the tyranny of the majority because it represents all of the people. Unfortunately the former Prime Minister put this referendum proposal together in a way that was ultimately going to (and did) critically divide the country. The question was not too difficult to understand, but maybe it is the ramifications of the narrow result of a poorly constituted referendum that is too difficult to understand.

A simple in/out referendum carried by a simple majority was quite simply an unacceptable way to present a question that needed highly complex answers almost every one of which has a multitude of different potential consequences. The result of the referendum was presented as having a finality that was not justified because it was not required to have a minimum margin to effect change.

For the Brexit process to work, the Brexit supporters must accept that they won the referendum by a majority so small, that before the referendum one Nigel Farage said that if Remain won by this exact margin, it would be unfinished business. A 52/48 split is not an overwhelming majority, it is not a margin that could EVER carry significant constitutional change because in terms of the population as a whole it represents only 26% of the population. Further, the only places in the United Kingdom where there was a significant majority in favour of an action one way or the other, was in the devolved countries of Scotland and N Ireland thereby placing the union of the United Kingdom in jeopardy.

The Parliamentary process which was a beacon of the Leave message really now must be respected, now that Leave have won the referendum. There has to be an acceptance all around that the consequences of the referendum result were not absolute and by no means overwhelming. 26% of the population or a small majority of those who voted cannot dictate the future direction of a country by Dictatorship just because they chose not to go in one particular direction.

The results of this referendum are being presented in some quarters and by some people with a finality and assurance that is simply not justified. It is simply pointless to make throwaway statements like "the people have spoken" "the will of the people" etc etc without taking a cold, hard look at the reality. This was not a decisive result and because it was not decisive it means that divisions remain and that the country as a whole would not be fairly represented by just 26%.

Both sides should take conciliatory positions Otherwise the country will be racked by division for many, many years and will possibly go backwards as a consequence.

Cambridge

"

Uncodified - Absent from legaslative statutes and existing only by virtue of the common law. Sometimes used in a wider sense to refer to principles that are entirely unwritten."

I love the way how, in one thread, you have gone from not even knowing that we had a constitution, to trying to teach other people about it! You are a constant source of amusement.

"

Uncodified - Absent from legaslative statutes and existing only by virtue of the common law. Sometimes used in a wider sense to refer to principles that are entirely unwritten.

I love the way how, in one thread, you have gone from not even knowing that we had a constitution, to trying to teach other people about it! You are a constant source of amusement. "

I am educating you on what uncodified means. If we have a constitution you will be able to tell us what it is, what it says and how we can shred it won't you?

Cambridge

"

I love the way how, in one thread, you have gone from not even knowing that we had a constitution, to trying to teach other people about it! You are a constant source of amusement.

I am educating you on what uncodified means. If we have a constitution you will be able to tell us what it is, what it says and how we can shred it won't you?"

So now you are saying "if we have a constitution" so you're not sure again now if we even have one?

Yes or No, does the UK have a constitution?

"

What you have said may be true but we have a Parliamentary democracy in this country and it exists to prevent the tyranny of the majority because it represents all of the people.

"

What exactly do you not understand about democracy?

You don't like the result. Fine. It is, however, a democratic result. Parliament will negotiate the terms of leaving. What could be more democratic?

Cannock

"

What you have said may be true but we have a Parliamentary democracy in this country and it exists to prevent the tyranny of the majority because it represents all of the people.

What exactly do you not understand about democracy?

You don't like the result. Fine. It is, however, a democratic result. Parliament will negotiate the terms of leaving. What could be more democratic?"

Every individual had a vote, some voted Remain, some voted Leave, some decided not to vote at all. The side with the most votes counted at the end is the winner. Leave won so now we must Leave the EU.

"

The British people voted to leave the EU in a very democratic process, the options were a simple in or out, or was the question on the paper too difficult for some of you to understand

What you have said may be true but we have a Parliamentary democracy in this country and it exists to prevent the tyranny of the majority because it represents all of the people. Unfortunately the former Prime Minister put this referendum proposal together in a way that was ultimately going to (and did) critically divide the country. The question was not too difficult to understand, but maybe it is the ramifications of the narrow result of a poorly constituted referendum that is too difficult to understand.

A simple in/out referendum carried by a simple majority was quite simply an unacceptable way to present a question that needed highly complex answers almost every one of which has a multitude of different potential consequences. The result of the referendum was presented as having a finality that was not justified because it was not required to have a minimum margin to effect change.

For the Brexit process to work, the Brexit supporters must accept that they won the referendum by a majority so small, that before the referendum one Nigel Farage said that if Remain won by this exact margin, it would be unfinished business. A 52/48 split is not an overwhelming majority, it is not a margin that could EVER carry significant constitutional change because in terms of the population as a whole it represents only 26% of the population. Further, the only places in the United Kingdom where there was a significant majority in favour of an action one way or the other, was in the devolved countries of Scotland and N Ireland thereby placing the union of the United Kingdom in jeopardy.

The Parliamentary process which was a beacon of the Leave message really now must be respected, now that Leave have won the referendum. There has to be an acceptance all around that the consequences of the referendum result were not absolute and by no means overwhelming. 26% of the population or a small majority of those who voted cannot dictate the future direction of a country by Dictatorship just because they chose not to go in one particular direction.

The results of this referendum are being presented in some quarters and by some people with a finality and assurance that is simply not justified. It is simply pointless to make throwaway statements like "the people have spoken" "the will of the people" etc etc without taking a cold, hard look at the reality. This was not a decisive result and because it was not decisive it means that divisions remain and that the country as a whole would not be fairly represented by just 26%.

Both sides should take conciliatory positions Otherwise the country will be racked by division for many, many years and will possibly go backwards as a consequence.

"

An excellent, measured response, many thanks!

Widnes

Is shooting those that don't agree with BREXIT the next unconstitutional and illegal way BREXITers are going to try and force this unwanted policy on the British people?

The British people voted to leave the EU in a very democratic process, the options were a simple in or out, or was the question on the paper too difficult for some of you to understand "

No, but it seems it was far to complex for many BREXITers. The question was simple, do we want to remain in the EU or leave? The answer was to leave the EU, so the government has a mandate to do that but no more. It does not have a mandate to do anything else. It does not have a mandate to leave the European Economic area because that question was not asked; It does not have a mandate to leave the European Free Trade Area (which we, along with Demark, Ireland and Portugal are founding members of) because that question was not asked; It doesn't have a mandate to leave the European Customs Union because that question wasn't asked; It does not have a mandate to remove the right of British citizens to live and work in Europe because that question wasn't asked; and, as there are countries in Europe that are members of all those organisations without being members of the EU (as Nigel Farage pointed out on many occasions) it does not follow that a mandate to leave the EU is also a mandate to leave any of the others.

Even if you argue that most of those who voted Leave voted thinking or hoping that the rest would also happen it does not give a mandate for them to happen, as most is not all and with a majority of only 52 to 48, it only needs 1 in 50 who voted to leave to not want some or all of those other things BRECITers are trying to force on the rest of us for there to be no democratic mandate for any of them.

You like a murderous war criminal. Well done you.

By *bandjam91Couple  over a year ago

London

"Secondly as a leave voter I knew exactly what I was voting for. I voted to Leave the EU and the single market.

You were not asked for your vote on the single market or anything else. Of you really thought that you were actually voting for that then this is very worrying. Why would anyone worry over something like this . ? On a simplistic basis we voted to leave the EU and the single market . We all knew exactly what we were voting for .

If the EU drop the open border policy and reduce our contribution in addition to not enforcing EU law on us , we might consider keeping the single market . "

If just one person voted who didn't want to leave the single market then your statement is wrong.

Do you know 100% that this is not the case?

And if you are that sure, why not have a second vote? If you're right you'll get the same result.

"You were not asked for your vote on the single market or anything else. Of you really thought that you were actually voting for that then this is very worrying." only a down right idiot, or a straw clutching spineless mess who only likes democracy when they get the result they want, would think it would be possible to leave the eu and remain in the single market and customs union. Congratulations thicko.

Prior to the referendum it was clearly stated by the EU commission and others (Rompeu..or whatever you spell it, Donald Tusk and others). That there was no such thing as a 'soft" brexit...we were either in or out.

To negotiate trade deals independently we MUST be outside of the customs union and single market. We WANT to be out of the European court jurisdiction and WANT to control our own borders without paying millions a day to the corrupt EU coffers.

I do not know of a single person who thought otherwise.

I do know of remain voters, who would now vote out.

I also know that Tony Blair is just about the biggest tosspot ever to have darkened the Doors of politics.....and I'd even include Trump in that.

bournemouth

You were not asked for your vote on the single market or anything else. Of you really thought that you were actually voting for that then this is very worrying. Why would anyone worry over something like this . ? On a simplistic basis we voted to leave the EU and the single market . We all knew exactly what we were voting for .

If the EU drop the open border policy and reduce our contribution in addition to not enforcing EU law on us , we might consider keeping the single market .

If just one person voted who didn't want to leave the single market then your statement is wrong.

Do you know 100% that this is not the case?

And if you are that sure, why not have a second vote? If you're right you'll get the same result.

"

The remain side and in particular DC said many times. "A vote to leave the EU means leaving the single market", thats pretty clear to me so perhaps it isnt the leave voters that are the alledged thick ones