FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Why March?

Why March?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *LCC OP   Couple  over a year ago

Cambridge

Has anyone heard why the PM has picked March 2016 to trigger article 50? As many of the key players are facing elections later on in the year, aren't we effectively throwing away 25% of our negotiating time table by possibly talking to the wrong people?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

Maybe to attempt to use the results of those elections to reset the Article 50 brexit clock and maybe postpone the exit date till after the next general election thus removing the need to manufacture a constitutional crisis to force an early general election.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Anyone's guess and given parliamentary politics it would not surprise me if it was just to keep the hard right tories happy and get UKIP support back to the Tories.

For all we know it might just be the date she wants to use and it might happen.

She might want to trigger it, go full independent and force whoever is running for whichever European nation's PM position to talk about trade with the UK favourably.

Or it might turn out to be an aim which gets 'missed' only to be set back till the continental dust settles.

Not enough to go on really.

"Has anyone heard why the PM has picked March 2016 to trigger article 50? As many of the key players are facing elections later on in the year, aren't we effectively throwing away 25% of our negotiating time table by possibly talking to the wrong people? "

She was under some pressure to start the process. Presumably, she thought that would give her enough time to construct the required structure to begin. I don't think there is anymore to it than that.

She's a bit late ain't she?.

That's was 8 months ago

Cambridge

"

She was under some pressure to start the process. Presumably, she thought that would give her enough time to construct the required structure to begin. I don't think there is anymore to it than that."

So she picked the date out of the air. Great

"

She was under some pressure to start the process. Presumably, she thought that would give her enough time to construct the required structure to begin. I don't think there is anymore to it than that.

So she picked the date out of the air. Great "

so what should the date have been oh wise one?

"

So she picked the date out of the air. Great

so what should the date have been oh wise one?"

It won't matter. It's a lose/lose situation. If she delivers by March she will deal with changing EU. If the EU collapses, who knows what deals will be needed. Too much uncertainty. If she doesn't deliver in March Brexiters will be mad.

I prefer honesty and transparency. We can only hope she's telling us the truth. Because there is no transparency.

By *oyce69Man  over a year ago

Driffield

"Has anyone heard why the PM has picked March 2016 to trigger article 50? As many of the key players are facing elections later on in the year, aren't we effectively throwing away 25% of our negotiating time table by possibly talking to the wrong people?

She was under some pressure to start the process. Presumably, she thought that would give her enough time to construct the required structure to begin. I don't think there is anymore to it than that."

"

So she picked the date out of the air. Great "

Would June the 17th have been better?

Cambridge

Well the former UK ambassador to the EU and the US said that she should have waited until after the German elections.

"Well the former UK ambassador to the EU and the US said that she should have waited until after the German elections. "

and the former UK Home Secretary an current UK Prime Minister said she shouldn't

"Well the former UK ambassador to the EU and the US said that she should have waited until after the German elections. "

Should it be invoked on a bank holiday? An anniversary of an important world event?

I think March is fine.

I'm assuming as it's just before the start of the new financial year ?

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"I'm assuming as it's just before the start of the new financial year ?

"

I would assume this would be the case as to when the EU membership money is due for the following financial year... which means it won't get messy with the UK "part year" wise... and it would be the cleanest break that could be made for all the different EU institutions....

"I'm assuming as it's just before the start of the new financial year ?

I would assume this would be the case as to when the EU membership money is due for the following financial year... which means it won't get messy with the UK "part year" wise... and it would be the cleanest break that could be made for all the different EU institutions...."

Yes I reckon so !

"Has anyone heard why the PM has picked March 2016 to trigger article 50? As many of the key players are facing elections later on in the year, aren't we effectively throwing away 25% of our negotiating time table by possibly talking to the wrong people? "

I assume she's actually going for 15th March 2017?

» Add a new message to this topic