FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > White privilege

White privilege

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

What is white privilege ? Does it exist ?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Oh snap!

Popcorn at the ready.

Eve.

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"What is white privilege ? Does it exist ?"

Don't know.....don't know. Sounds like an Americanism.

"Oh snap!

Popcorn at the ready.

Eve. "

Lol do you know anything about it ?

What do you think op?

"What is white privilege ? Does it exist ?

Don't know.....don't know. Sounds like an Americanism. "

americanism ?

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

It is the perception that people who are white have an easier ride vis a vis getting jobs, loans, served in restaurants and bars etc.

By *elvet RopeMan  over a year ago

by the big field

I shall direct my butler to answer for me, the wi-fi coverage is ghastly in the west wing

A definition of White privelege....White privilege is the ability for Whites to maintain an elevated status in society that masks racial inequality.

Does it exist?....it might do, it might not. Truth be told, I've no bloody idea.

Do you feel hard done by for some thing?

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

I'd say it's for the Politics room

I always knew I was special.

"I'd say it's for the Politics room "

It has the potential to turn political, yes.

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

"I'd say it's for the Politics room

It has the potential to turn political, yes."

Or unpleasant so that would suit in there

By *ammyDodgaMan  over a year ago

Nottingham/and everywhere my location says i am ;)

Bit of a controversial one that.. I suppose it depends on your own perspective and location. Even in our educated world there's still bigots..

From all sides, creeds,colours. Personally I'm with Robert Marley on this one.. One love. Ain't got time for any other bullshit.

Brighton - even Hove!

Don't know.....don't know. Sounds like an Americanism. americanism ?"

A saying from America. I've never heard it before.

By *ust PeachyWoman  over a year ago

Prestonish

I think there may be something in it to be fair - certainly in the southern states of America and certain areas in the UK I'd imagine!

If I had to describe it it would be an area/occupation etc where being white was seen to be a measurable advantage! For instance politician (white middle class male unless an area is trying to 'make a point ' by voting for a woman or an ethnic minority!) same with senior police, the army etc etc!

Being a woman is 'nearly as bad' op - and we get shitty period pain too (I do right now anyway! )

"I'd say it's for the Politics room "

By *crumdiddlyumptiousMan  over a year ago

In countries overpopulated by white people then I would say yes,

But it is/has been changing in most countries

it's when white people dominate everything.

like they aren't discriminated against and are considered the norm.

Don't know.....don't know. Sounds like an Americanism. americanism ?

A saying from America. I've never heard it before. "

ow you say it's from America but you've never heard it before ? Okay

By *unandbuckCouple  over a year ago

Sheffield

A saying from America. I've never heard it before. ow you say it's from America but you've never heard it before ? Okay"

Think he said it sounds like an americanism.

Brighton - even Hove!

A saying from America. I've never heard it before. ow you say it's from America but you've never heard it before ? Okay"

Read what I said. If I have to make it really plainly obvious for you, I'll explain.

I had never heard the expression before you mentioned it. It sounds to me like an Americanism (explained above). Capiche?

A saying from America. I've never heard it before. ow you say it's from America but you've never heard it before ? Okay

Read what I said. If I have to make it really plainly obvious for you, I'll explain.

I had never heard the expression before you mentioned it. It sounds to me like an Americanism (explained above). Capiche? "

Got you

"

Only a matter of time.

Unless the debate can be steered to 'White people are so sexy'...

Brighton - even Hove!

A saying from America. I've never heard it before. ow you say it's from America but you've never heard it before ? Okay

I had never heard the expression before you mentioned it. It sounds to me like an Americanism (explained above). Capiche?

Got you "

No worries

It's sounds shit anyway.

I remember at a young age just getting that feeling that something went terribly wrong for people like me and something wasn't right

I'm sure it does in certain social circles but it's not a phrase I've ever heard before and as others have said it sounds very much like an American phrase.

Do you OP?

"I think there may be something in it to be fair - certainly in the southern states of America and certain areas in the UK I'd imagine!

If I had to describe it it would be an area/occupation etc where being white was seen to be a measurable advantage! For instance politician (white middle class male unless an area is trying to 'make a point ' by voting for a woman or an ethnic minority!) same with senior police, the army etc etc!

Being a woman is 'nearly as bad' op - and we get shitty period pain too (I do right now anyway! ) "

"Making a point"? Correct me if I'm wrong but Britain did have a female prime minister when I was a child and the outgoing US president is black isn't he? Were both nations merely "making a point"?

Brighton - even Hove!

"I remember at a young age just getting that feeling that something went terribly wrong for people like me and something wasn't right"

I didn't speak to a black person for real until I was about 10 years old. There were none where we lived and then this kid came to school.

By *awandOrderCouple  over a year ago

SW London

It exists. I have a black partner and mixed race children. I can speak out for them and be listened to whereas they will not be if they speak out ... there is a clip doing the rounds on this on fb. Maybe because I liked in the US I got it from friends there. I see it all the time and experience it when out and about with my family.

Yes it does

"I remember at a young age just getting that feeling that something went terribly wrong for people like me and something wasn't right"

Where were you living then?

"I remember at a young age just getting that feeling that something went terribly wrong for people like me and something wasn't right

I didn't speak to a black person for real until I was about 10 years old. There were none where we lived and then this kid came to school. "

My friend from 5 years old was mixed race and I used to walk to school with a black boy when I was 10. The area you lived in made a difference, although white people outnumbered other races hugely back then.

"I remember at a young age just getting that feeling that something went terribly wrong for people like me and something wasn't right

Where were you living then? "

In Africa, Zimbabwe

I'd like to think I'm not treated differently, because of my colour.

OP, do you think other races feel the same as you?

"Yes it does "
Is it a good thing or a bad thing ? What are it's pros and cons ?

By *irceWoman  over a year ago

Gloucester

Where were you living then? In Africa, Zimbabwe "

How's white privilege working out there?

"I think there may be something in it to be fair - certainly in the southern states of America and certain areas in the UK I'd imagine!

Being a woman is 'nearly as bad' op - and we get shitty period pain too (I do right now anyway! )

"Making a point"? Correct me if I'm wrong but Britain did have a female prime minister when I was a child and the outgoing US president is black isn't he? Were both nations merely "making a point"?"

America was definitely just making a point. Look at them now

Where were you living then? In Africa, Zimbabwe "

How many white people lived in Zimbabwe back then?

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

I'll know it when I find it.

OP, white privilege is a term that came about with the Civil Rights movement, so I guess it's sort of an americanism.

It's basically when white people are given preferential treatment or an advantage merely for the fact they are white.

Where were you living then? In Africa, Zimbabwe

How's white privilege working out there?"

i was asked where i was living not where i live. Im speaking about the world as a whole here

By *aughtybooyMan  over a year ago

maidstone

It's another term promoted by thick left wing liberals who are offended by everything! Also used by racist people who dislike white people and try to blame us for there lack of get up and go. I was in new York 2 months ago and was told reverse racism is growing every day due to terms like .. white privilege! Some will try and blame your white great great great grandparents for there lack of rolls Royce on the drive. I'm white and had to work hard for every thing I have. In fact I've been held back from jobs because I'm white, it also generalises all white people and for me that is full on racism.

"It's another term promoted by thick left wing liberals who are offended by everything! Also used by racist people who dislike white people and try to blame us for there lack of get up and go. I was in new York 2 months ago and was told reverse racism is growing every day due to terms like .. white privilege! Some will try and blame your white great great great grandparents for there lack of rolls Royce on the drive. I'm white and had to work hard for every thing I have. In fact I've been held back from jobs because I'm white, it also generalises all white people and for me that is full on racism. "

Right. Ok then. I could but I...

How's white privilege working out there? i was asked where i was living not where i live. Im speaking about the world as a whole here "

The question is still relevant.

maidstone

"It's another term promoted by thick left wing liberals who are offended by everything! Also used by racist people who dislike white people and try to blame us for there lack of get up and go. I was in new York 2 months ago and was told reverse racism is growing every day due to terms like .. white privilege! Some will try and blame your white great great great grandparents for there lack of rolls Royce on the drive. I'm white and had to work hard for every thing I have. In fact I've been held back from jobs because I'm white, it also generalises all white people and for me that is full on racism.

Right. Ok then. I could but I..."

No pls do.

"It's another term promoted by thick left wing liberals who are offended by everything! Also used by racist people who dislike white people and try to blame us for there lack of get up and go. I was in new York 2 months ago and was told reverse racism is growing every day due to terms like .. white privilege! Some will try and blame your white great great great grandparents for there lack of rolls Royce on the drive. I'm white and had to work hard for every thing I have. In fact I've been held back from jobs because I'm white, it also generalises all white people and for me that is full on racism. "

How were you held back?

"Yes it does Is it a good thing or a bad thing ? What are it's pros and cons ?"

100% bad . No one should have different treatment due to race, gender, sexuality etc

From what I'm reading on Wiki, white people lost their privileges in 1980, in Zimbabwe and a lot of them left.

There are no such privileges in the UK at this time.

I didn't speak to a black person for real until I was about 10 years old. There were none where we lived and then this kid came to school. "

Sounds like where I lived. This boy turned up from Ghana when I was in Yr 5 & we were all like wow he's really black.

I would hope that the phrase would not be pertinent to our society today. Wouldn't you?

How many white people lived in Zimbabwe back then? "

my school was predominantly white, but Zimbabwe as a whole white people were the minority. They were given preferencial treatment though,before the farm invasions

maidstone

"It's another term promoted by thick left wing liberals who are offended by everything! Also used by racist people who dislike white people and try to blame us for there lack of get up and go. I was in new York 2 months ago and was told reverse racism is growing every day due to terms like .. white privilege! Some will try and blame your white great great great grandparents for there lack of rolls Royce on the drive. I'm white and had to work hard for every thing I have. In fact I've been held back from jobs because I'm white, it also generalises all white people and for me that is full on racism.

How were you held back?"

Some companies and services like firefighters will sometimes advertise for applications from minority groups.

SW London

Not only left wing liberals are thick, also those who blame others for the fact they didn't get a job ...

There is no such thing as reverse racism . Racism is treating someone differently due to their race . This is regardless of the originators race and the targets race . People who are treating others differently are idiots - I don't think a term is to blame

I would hope that the phrase would not be pertinent to our society today. Wouldn't you?"

yea if everyone could just get along and treat each other fairly

By *isaB45Woman  over a year ago

Fabville

I see that the op has hidden his image.

When I first looked at this thread a couple of minutes ago, it was there. But not now. Why??

How were you held back?

Some companies and services like firefighters will sometimes advertise for applications from minority groups. "

You said you were held back. I meant what was it that held you back?

As far as I can tell those privileges have been withdrawn all over the world. How people treat each other personally are not privileges.

SW London

How were you held back?

Some companies and services like firefighters will sometimes advertise for applications from minority groups. "

Wouldn't you ask yourself why there aren't as many applications from ethnic minority groups then? Why do you think they seek applications? To even up the playing field perhaps?

"As far as I can tell those privileges have been withdrawn all over the world. How people treat each other personally are not privileges.

"

White people in several African countries including Zimbabwe would disagree with that.

The whole world isn't suddenly liberal, tolerant and equal.

maidstone

How were you held back?

Some companies and services like firefighters will sometimes advertise for applications from minority groups.

You said you were held back. I meant what was it that held you back?"

Being white is not seen as a minority group. Meaning they are not looking to recruit me

Tell me that wasn't serious..

By *reygorCouple  over a year ago

birmingham

thank fuck in brum the only colour is blue for the city or claret and blue [for the villa] skin tone not a issue .

How many white people lived in Zimbabwe back then? my school was predominantly white, but Zimbabwe as a whole white people were the minority. They were given preferencial treatment though,before the farm invasions "

Why did you leave?

maidstone

How were you held back?

Wouldn't you ask yourself why there aren't as many applications from ethnic minority groups then? Why do you think they seek applications? To even up the playing field perhaps? "

But I'm being penalised for being white. That's racist

How were you held back?

Being white is not seen as a minority group. Meaning they are not looking to recruit me"

So your skin colour hasn't held you back except on the basis of an imaginary job you never applied for...

"As far as I can tell those privileges have been withdrawn all over the world. How people treat each other personally are not privileges.

White people in several African countries including Zimbabwe would disagree with that.

The whole world isn't suddenly liberal, tolerant and equal."

I meant the white privileges were withdrawn. I'm reading about it now.

SW London

How were you held back?

Wouldn't you ask yourself why there aren't as many applications from ethnic minority groups then? Why do you think they seek applications? To even up the playing field perhaps?

But I'm being penalised for being white. That's racist "

You aren't being penalised because you have an unfair advantage so it's evening up the playing field

How's white privilege working out there? i was asked where i was living not where i live. Im speaking about the world as a whole here

The question is still relevant."

Mugabe is a crazy man who hates white people so in Zimbabwe the situation is a lot different for them now. Which is not fair as everyone should be treated equally

maidstone

Tell me that wasn't serious.."

It's totally serious.

How were you held back?

Being white is not seen as a minority group. Meaning they are not looking to recruit me"

I'll use the police as an example. If the entire police force was white and were policing the whole country due to past issues and the attitudes of some this may make community relations in non white communities difficult . A large workforce especially those whose job it is to work with the community should where possible reflect that community . This is why they then advertise for ethnic minorities etc . That's not racism !!!

How were you held back?

But I'm being penalised for being white. That's racist "

They're trying to encourage ethnic minorities to apply for jobs they wouldn't usually consider.

Right. Ok then. I could but I...

No pls do."

People don't use white privilege as a racist term. Just because you were told something it doesn't make it a fact.

Positive discrimination which is what I am guessing you are referring to regarding is designed to rebalance employment to make it more accessible for all. It's not a case of white people hating other white people, it's designed to make sure there is a more level playing field for people to reach their potential.

Regarding white privilege and does it exist in a global field? Of course it does. The world isn't a utopian one filled with sprinkles and liberal, equal opportunities for all.

There is no such thing as reverse racism . Racism is treating someone differently due to their race . This is regardless of the originators race and the targets race . People who are treating others differently are idiots - I don't think a term is to blame "

Surely racism is racism no matter who it is directed at! I think reverse racism is a word made up in a pub

maidstone

How were you held back?

You aren't being penalised because you have an unfair advantage so it's evening up the playing field

"

What's my advantage? I had the same education as most people in this country. It would be a disadvantage not being included in a job vacancy because of my skin colour

It does exist. You can either say it's very subtle or so much the normal we no longer recognise it. But it's there

white privilege is taking a topic about white privilege and turning into a topic all about white people being discriminated agianst.

The whole world isn't suddenly liberal, tolerant and equal.

I meant the white privileges were withdrawn. I'm reading about it now. "

Yes but there's a backlash as a consequence.

I know many white Africans who are in fear (or have fled) their homes.

The problem is that there's so much historical baggage that gets in the way. And when people get angry, they dig for roots of more anger - further and further back.

"

Surely racism is racism no matter who it is directed at! I think reverse racism is a word made up in a pub "

Lmfao

SW London

"white privilege is taking a topic about white privilege and turning into a topic all about white people being discriminated agianst."

How did I end up here? I've never ventured this far South before.

SW London

How were you held back?

What's my advantage? I had the same education as most people in this country. It would be a disadvantage not being included in a job vacancy because of my skin colour "

You have an advantage because people view and respect you differently, they listen to you because you are white and what is considered the norm. Of course you wont realise this because you have only been in that position of privilege.

By *reygorCouple  over a year ago

birmingham

taxi time admin?

The positive discrimination job vacancy bollocks has fuck all to do with this.

When a fire service (if it ever does) recruits 10% minorities - the majority still have the majority opportunity.

The people who then get angry that they weren't afforded the full 100% and use it as justification for their prejudices are ignorant fuckwits.

It's totally serious. "

I think you need to give your silly white head a wobble

"The positive discrimination job vacancy bollocks has fuck all to do with this.

When a fire service (if it ever does) recruits 10% minorities - the majority still have the majority opportunity.

The people who then get angry that they weren't afforded the full 100% and use it as justification for their prejudices are ignorant fuckwits."

I actually agree! With you!

How the fuck is this politics?

maidstone

"white privilege is taking a topic about white privilege and turning into a topic all about white people being discriminated agianst.

"

Are we not allowed an opinion different to yours with out being accused of having a privilege? If having an opinion is a privilege then we are all privileged.

By *crumdiddlyumptiousMan  over a year ago

"white privilege is taking a topic about white privilege and turning into a topic all about white people being discriminated agianst."

Or other people giving their opinions/experiences on the subject

maidstone

It's totally serious.

I think you need to give your silly white head a wobble"

Great racist comment to expose how stupid you are.

"It's another term promoted by thick left wing liberals who are offended by everything"

Err...no.

It's a term used by people who are intelligent enough to recognise that they automatically have an easier path through life than others.

As a white man, I have received a DEMONSTRABLE advantage in all areas of life, including employment, educational opportunities and healthcare access.

Also, when I walk down the street, no-one looks at me in a suspicious manner, or crosses the road to avoid me, or makes racially-offensive jokes in my hearing.

Likewise, when I attend Mass at Christmas, I never have to listen to other members of the congregation complaining that my 'race' is 'taking over the church.'

"I see that the op has hidden his image.

When I first looked at this thread a couple of minutes ago, it was there. But not now. Why??"

Do i have to explain white i do on my profile on forums ? Don't be so entitled !

SW London

"How the fuck is this politics?

"

This is totally what politics should be .... not all that brexit stuff

SW London

"I see that the op has hidden his image.

When I first looked at this thread a couple of minutes ago, it was there. But not now. Why?? Do i have to explain white i do on my profile on forums ? Don't be so entitled !"

I think they were interested, but they could have asked you in a pm

It's totally serious.

I think you need to give your silly white head a wobble

Great racist comment to expose how stupid you are. "

maidstone

Can any of you give an example of when you were last given a privilege because you are white?? And if you did feel you were treated better because you are white did you raise your concern at the time?

"If having an opinion is a privilege then we are all privileged."

It's pretty easy to see that the opinions of white people are listened to and respected far more readily than those of minority groups; even when they are speaking on issues which directly impact the minority groups in question.

To quote a very old episode of 'The Simpsons':

Lisa: It's awful being a kid. No one listens to you.

Grampa: It's rotten being old. No one listens to you.

Homer: I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me -- no matter how dumb my suggestions are.

maidstone

"It's another term promoted by thick left wing liberals who are offended by everything

Err...no.

It's a term used by people who are intelligent enough to recognise that they automatically have an easier path through life than others.

As a white man, I have received a DEMONSTRABLE advantage in all areas of life, including employment, educational opportunities and healthcare access.

Also, when I walk down the street, no-one looks at me in a suspicious manner, or crosses the road to avoid me, or makes racially-offensive jokes in my hearing.

Likewise, when I attend Mass at Christmas, I never have to listen to other members of the congregation complaining that my 'race' is 'taking over the church.'"

Why don't you decline the advantages then, it seems a bit hypocritical to carry on taking all these benefits in all these places without saying how unfair it is.

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

It exists. There have been experiments done where the same CV gets sent to employers under typically 'white' and typically 'black' names, and the white ones get invited for interviews at a much higher rate.

London

"Can any of you give an example of when you were last given a privilege because you are white?? And if you did feel you were treated better because you are white did you raise your concern at the time?"

I've never, ever been stopped by the police. I suspect that's something not many black men of my age could say.

And there is no need to get mad nobody is calling anyone a racist by bringing up the term " white privilege." If it struck a nerve, perhaps you need to reevaluate why it is making you angry

maidstone

"If having an opinion is a privilege then we are all privileged.

It's pretty easy to see that the opinions of white people are listened to and respected far more readily than those of minority groups; even when they are speaking on issues which directly impact the minority groups in question.

To quote a very old episode of 'The Simpsons':

Lisa: It's awful being a kid. No one listens to you.

Grampa: It's rotten being old. No one listens to you.

Homer: I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me -- no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

Oh well now you quote the Simpson family your argument holds much more strength!! I remember once in eastenders Phil Mitchell got more baked beens than dot cotton in the cafe, bloody sexist cook.

It isn't racist to state somebody has a silly white head, if indeed they do.

By *bandjam91Couple  over a year ago

London

This

"Can any of you give an example of when you were last given a privilege because you are white?? And if you did feel you were treated better because you are white did you raise your concern at the time?"

i've never been treated like i'm a whole race for being that race.

maidstone

"It isn't racist to state somebody has a silly white head, if indeed they do.

"

What's the colour of my head got to do with it. If I said to a black man... get you black arse out of my house, would that be racist??

What's the colour of my head got to do with it. If I said to a black man... get you black arse out of my house, would that be racist?? "

No.

If you said you're not welcome because you're black, that's racist.

If you state somebody is black, that's a fact.

maidstone

To generalise all whites as privileged is racist. I've not been given any privileges because I'm white, so I take offence to the term

"To generalise all whites as privileged is racist. I've not been given any privileges because I'm white, so I take offence to the term"

You have. But you're not interested in considering them.

"To generalise all whites as privileged is racist. I've not been given any privileges because I'm white, so I take offence to the term"

Okay...you've been given them because you're a man then. Now do put a sock in it sweetcheeks...my piss is almost at boiling point

maidstone

What's the colour of my head got to do with it. If I said to a black man... get you black arse out of my house, would that be racist??

No.

"

So you would happily call someone a black idiot? You see nothing wrong with that.

Part of the point of white privilege in the modern day is as its the norm it's not noticed

maidstone

"To generalise all whites as privileged is racist. I've not been given any privileges because I'm white, so I take offence to the term

Okay...you've been given them because you're a man then. Now do put a sock in it sweetcheeks...my piss is almost at boiling point"

What's should I be quite because you don't agree with me? Wow a bet your fun to hang around with. And now your being sexist by saying I benefit from being male. You really have no clue how hypocritical you are

No.

So you would happily call someone a black idiot? You see nothing wrong with that. "

I wouldn't do that, no.

But I raised the point only to highlight your ignorance.

There are communities in this country where white people are a minority and living in circumstances where their anger and frustration are understandable.

But then there are people whose anger is only born out of their ignorance and has no genuine basis.

I think you belong to one of those groups.

It has the potential to turn political, yes.

Or unpleasant so that would suit in there "

Bingo.

"To generalise all whites as privileged is racist. I've not been given any privileges because I'm white, so I take offence to the term

Okay...you've been given them because you're a man then. Now do put a sock in it sweetcheeks...my piss is almost at boiling point

What's should I be quite because you don't agree with me? Wow a bet your fun to hang around with. And now your being sexist by saying I benefit from being male. You really have no clue how hypocritical you are "

Your day is going from bad to worse what with all this racism and sexism you have to suffer. I'd offer you a sympathy shag to cheer you up, but unfortunately i'm just no fun like that

SW London

When I am not followed around at the supermarket? When I am not ignored when ordering a drink at the bar ... or at the desk when my son is in A and E and not getting attended to. Myself and my partner both went up and he was ignored, I wasn't .... don't worry, we try these things out.

Citizenship - Simply being born in this country affords you certain privileges non-citizens will never access.

Class - Being born into a financially stable family can help guarantee your health, happiness, safety, education, intelligence, and future opportunities.

Sexual Orientation - By being born straight, every state in this country affords you privileges that non-straight folks have to fight the Supreme Court for.

Sex - By being born male, you can assume that you can walk through a parking garage without worrying you'll be raped and that a defense attorney will then blame it on what you were wearing.

Ability - By being born able bodied, you probably don't have to plan your life around handicap access, braille, or other special needs.

Gender - By being born cisgendered, you aren't worried that the restroom or locker room you use will invoke public outrage.

As you can see, belonging to one or more category of Privilege, especially being a Straight White Middle Class Able-Bodied Male, can be like winning a lottery you didn't even know you were playing. But this is not to imply that any form of privilege is exactly the same as another or that people lacking in one area of privilege understand what it's like to be lacking in other areas. Race discrimination is not equal to Sex Discrimination and so forth.

copy and pasted coz i really cba but you need to stfu a little.

SW London

"It's another term promoted by thick left wing liberals who are offended by everything

Err...no.

Likewise, when I attend Mass at Christmas, I never have to listen to other members of the congregation complaining that my 'race' is 'taking over the church.'

Why don't you decline the advantages then, it seems a bit hypocritical to carry on taking all these benefits in all these places without saying how unfair it is."

It Si not about declining the advantage, it is about speaking up for those that don't have it .... so those who are doing it realise they are doing it

maidstone

No.

So you would happily call someone a black idiot? You see nothing wrong with that.

I wouldn't do that, no.

There are communities in this country where white people are a minority and living in circumstances where their anger and frustration are understandable.

But then there are people whose anger is only born out of their ignorance and has no genuine basis.

I think you belong to one of those groups."

Why wouldn't you do it , I'm sure they won't take offence, your only stating they are black! Like you say that's a fact. Your summary of me is completely wrong, to help you out.. I'm not a doughnut that's had my mind shaped to sit down and nod my head on topics I have a view on. I don't get shut down by blinkered muppets who try and make out I'm stupid for having a wider look on subjects.

I experience this kind of privilege every time I attend a service at the church I attended as a child.

Although I am now openly an atheist, I am still welcomed with open arms by friends within the congregation.

By contrast, I often hear those same friends making racially-charged remarks concerning the large number of Portuguese, Polish and Filipino worshippers, and questioning their right to participate alongside 'Local' believers...

maidstone

Err...no.

Why don't you decline the advantages then, it seems a bit hypocritical to carry on taking all these benefits in all these places without saying how unfair it is.

It Si not about declining the advantage, it is about speaking up for those that don't have it .... so those who are doing it realise they are doing it "

Sounds a little half hearted. If was in a place and got a better service because I was white , I would 100% decline the advantages and state why. It would be so hypocritical to take the benefits then moan about it after. I'd be disappointed to witness someone else acting so cowardly.

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

I don't think the privilege necessarily is based on skin colour (at least anymore) it's just perceived as "white privilege" as many of the incumbents of high office (who happen to be white) come from a line of success and as such have had certain things such as influences, education, networking etc which have helped them into the position they are in.

No.

I wouldn't do that, no.

Why wouldn't you do it , I'm sure they won't take offence, your only stating they are black! Like you say that's a fact. Your summary of me is completely wrong, to help you out.. I'm not a doughnut that's had my mind shaped to sit down and nod my head on topics I have a view on. I don't get shut down by blinkered muppets who try and make out I'm stupid for having a wider look on subjects. "

So you can share your opinion but those who disagree with you are blinkered muppets ??

maidstone

"Can any of you give an example of when you were last given a privilege because you are white?? And if you did feel you were treated better because you are white did you raise your concern at the time?

I experience this kind of privilege every time I attend a service at the church I attended as a child.

Although I am now openly an atheist, I am still welcomed with open arms by friends within the congregation.

By contrast, I often hear those same friends making racially-charged remarks concerning the large number of Portuguese, Polish and Filipino worshippers, and questioning their right to participate alongside 'Local' believers..."

So I'm hoping you were many enough to challenge the racism at time. But I'm guessing you didn't because you say you often hear it. If I was you I'd distance myself from these people.

London

"I don't get shut down by blinkered muppets who try and make out I'm stupid for having a wider look on subjects. "

You don't have a wider view on this subject. People have explained to you what 'white privilege' means and you haven't listened.

What's should I be quite because you don't agree with me? Wow a bet your fun to hang around with. And now your being sexist by saying I benefit from being male. You really have no clue how hypocritical you are "

It should be evident to anyone who has a partner on Fab that they benefit from being male.

When I fail to reply to unsolicited sexually explicit messages, or turn down someone for sex, or criticise abusive behaviour, or decide to post provocative pictures, I do not find myself suddenly receiving a flood of messages calling me a 'bitch,' a 'fat slag' or a 'stupid cow.'

No.

I wouldn't do that, no.

Why wouldn't you do it , I'm sure they won't take offence, your only stating they are black! Like you say that's a fact. Your summary of me is completely wrong, to help you out.. I'm not a doughnut that's had my mind shaped to sit down and nod my head on topics I have a view on. I don't get shut down by blinkered muppets who try and make out I'm stupid for having a wider look on subjects. "

I wouldn't do it because I'm not an utter cunt.

The differentiation is still important however because your 'wider base' is clearly in a very small room.

"Can any of you give an example of when you were last given a privilege because you are white?? And if you did feel you were treated better because you are white did you raise your concern at the time?

By contrast, I often hear those same friends making racially-charged remarks concerning the large number of Portuguese, Polish and Filipino worshippers, and questioning their right to participate alongside 'Local' believers...

So I'm hoping you were man enough to challenge the racism at time. But I'm guessing you didn't because you say you often hear it. If I was you I'd distance myself from these people. "

Yes, I challenge them on it. However, rather like you, they pay little notice, and merely make excuses as to why their comments 'aren't racist.'

maidstone

No.

I wouldn't do that, no.

Why wouldn't you do it , I'm sure they won't take offence, your only stating they are black! Like you say that's a fact. Your summary of me is completely wrong, to help you out.. I'm not a doughnut that's had my mind shaped to sit down and nod my head on topics I have a view on. I don't get shut down by blinkered muppets who try and make out I'm stupid for having a wider look on subjects.

So you can share your opinion but those who disagree with you are blinkered muppets ??"

No only a few of you. With your dull replies. Can you answer why it's ok for someone to tell me to wobble my white head. But you wouldn't call someone a black idiot?

SW London

Err...no.

It Si not about declining the advantage, it is about speaking up for those that don't have it .... so those who are doing it realise they are doing it

Sounds a little half hearted. If was in a place and got a better service because I was white , I would 100% decline the advantages and state why. It would be so hypocritical to take the benefits then moan about it after. I'd be disappointed to witness someone else acting so cowardly. "

Nope, speak up there and then when you see it happening. Believe me, you wouldn't want to cross me .... OH goes to the counter, waits five minutes; I go and they come over immediately ... I ask, why do you come for me and not for him (he reacts by going, oh no, she is off on one again) .... but I do this for the sake of my kids. It is not half hearted to speak up. You get preferential treatment every day, do you care or make a fuss ....

maidstone

So I'm hoping you were man enough to challenge the racism at time. But I'm guessing you didn't because you say you often hear it. If I was you I'd distance myself from these people.

Yes, I challenge them on it. However, rather like you, they pay little notice, and merely make excuses as to why their comments 'aren't racist.'

"

What racist comment have I made?

SW London

So I'm hoping you were many enough to challenge the racism at time. But I'm guessing you didn't because you say you often hear it. If I was you I'd distance myself from these people. "

I have been in that exact environment and challenged it ... do you challenge it?

No.

I wouldn't do that, no.

So you can share your opinion but those who disagree with you are blinkered muppets ??

No only a few of you. With your dull replies. Can you answer why it's ok for someone to tell me to wobble my white head. But you wouldn't call someone a black idiot?"

Neither is OK. But your accusation of racism was ignorant.

A point made much earlier. But then you've ignored many points.

No.

I wouldn't do that, no.

No only a few of you. With your dull replies. Can you answer why it's ok for someone to tell me to wobble my white head. But you wouldn't call someone a black idiot?"

That was one person and no I don't think race of any kind needs to come up when insulting someone . I just think you're a dickhead

"So I'm hoping you were man enough to challenge the racism at time. But I'm guessing you didn't because you say you often hear it. If I was you I'd distance myself from these people.

What racist comment have I made?"

I didn't say that you'd made any racist comments...I was saying that, like you, these friends of my pay no attention to my criticisms.

Just as you twist and turn to convince yourself that 'white privilege' doesn't exist; they twist and turn to convince themselves that they aren't being racists.

SW London

No.

I wouldn't do that, no.

No only a few of you. With your dull replies. Can you answer why it's ok for someone to tell me to wobble my white head. But you wouldn't call someone a black idiot?

A point made much earlier. But then you've ignored many points."

I would like to second that you (not this poster, but the one quoted by them) has a blinkered view. I have a mixed race family and have experienced white privilege first hand and challenge it .... loads of people have given you examples, so why not listen

maidstone

Err...no.

Sounds a little half hearted. If was in a place and got a better service because I was white , I would 100% decline the advantages and state why. It would be so hypocritical to take the benefits then moan about it after. I'd be disappointed to witness someone else acting so cowardly.

Nope, speak up there and then when you see it happening. Believe me, you wouldn't want to cross me .... OH goes to the counter, waits five minutes; I go and they come over immediately ... I ask, why do you come for me and not for him (he reacts by going, oh no, she is off on one again) .... but I do this for the sake of my kids. It is not half hearted to speak up. You get preferential treatment every day, do you care or make a fuss ...."

Well actually I don't feel I get preferential treatment every day, but pls tell me where I receive it so I can go back and ask to complain. But I do and always will get involved if I see mistreatment to anyone, young, old, black , white, male or female! I never turn a blind eye or leave someone vulnerable to be a victim to anybody else. I give to charity, feed the homeless and when my friends need help or advice I'm the first one they phone. So yes I do care and I definitely make a fuss

SW London

Err...no.

Nope, speak up there and then when you see it happening. Believe me, you wouldn't want to cross me .... OH goes to the counter, waits five minutes; I go and they come over immediately ... I ask, why do you come for me and not for him (he reacts by going, oh no, she is off on one again) .... but I do this for the sake of my kids. It is not half hearted to speak up. You get preferential treatment every day, do you care or make a fuss ....

Well actually I don't feel I get preferential treatment every day, but pls tell me where I receive it so I can go back and ask to complain. But I do and always will get involved if I see mistreatment to anyone, young, old, black , white, male or female! I never turn a blind eye or leave someone vulnerable to be a victim to anybody else. I give to charity, feed the homeless and when my friends need help or advice I'm the first one they phone. So yes I do care and I definitely make a fuss"

You get preferential treatment every day as Devon Newbie has explained ... and threesumqueen ... they have given numerous examples. You just have not experienced what it is like not to have this privilege ....

maidstone

No.

I wouldn't do that, no.

I would like to second that you (not this poster, but the one quoted by them) has a blinkered view. I have a mixed race family and have experienced white privilege first hand and challenge it .... loads of people have given you examples, so why not listen "

If I hadn't listened, I wouldn't have asked how they handle it!! It's a conversation, you don't just tell me something and then I say... oh okay then, thanks . I listened then replied

SW London

No.

I wouldn't do that, no.

I would like to second that you (not this poster, but the one quoted by them) has a blinkered view. I have a mixed race family and have experienced white privilege first hand and challenge it .... loads of people have given you examples, so why not listen

If I hadn't listened, I wouldn't have asked how they handle it!! It's a conversation, you don't just tell me something and then I say... oh okay then, thanks . I listened then replied "

Are you okay having a conversation with blinkered Muppets then?

Err...no.

Well actually I don't feel I get preferential treatment every day, but pls tell me where I receive it so I can go back and ask to complain. But I do and always will get involved if I see mistreatment to anyone, young, old, black , white, male or female! I never turn a blind eye or leave someone vulnerable to be a victim to anybody else. I give to charity, feed the homeless and when my friends need help or advice I'm the first one they phone. So yes I do care and I definitely make a fuss"

Of course you don't feel you are getting preferential treatment because it's the norm as you are a white male. That's the whole fucking point!

maidstone

Err...no.

Well actually I don't feel I get preferential treatment every day, but pls tell me where I receive it so I can go back and ask to complain. But I do and always will get involved if I see mistreatment to anyone, young, old, black , white, male or female! I never turn a blind eye or leave someone vulnerable to be a victim to anybody else. I give to charity, feed the homeless and when my friends need help or advice I'm the first one they phone. So yes I do care and I definitely make a fuss

You get preferential treatment every day as Devon Newbie has explained ... and threesumqueen ... they have given numerous examples. You just have not experienced what it is like not to have this privilege .... "

No they say they received them ! I haven't. I've not been promoted at work, fast tracked at NHS or been in a racist church. So im still no feeling privileges. You seem to be generalising all whites.

I think the point you are missing is quite often you will receive that privilege without even realising

When you have applied for jobs you wouldn't know who else was applying ??!!!

maidstone

No.

I wouldn't do that, no.

If I hadn't listened, I wouldn't have asked how they handle it!! It's a conversation, you don't just tell me something and then I say... oh okay then, thanks . I listened then replied

Are you okay having a conversation with blinkered Muppets then?"

Obviously, otherwise this thread would be much shorter

SW London

"I think the point you are missing is quite often you will receive that privilege without even realising

When you have applied for jobs you wouldn't know who else was applying ??!!!"

It's too obvious. I am not going to bother trying to explain any more

Actually, highlighting that all white people are privileged is not 'racist.'

It is simply an acknowledgement of the fact that our society is structured in such a way that a white person will always have an advantage over a person of colour who comes from a similar background.

No one is accusing all white people of being racists simply because they enjoy this privilege. They are stating that white people need to recognise the existence of this privilege and ensure that they do not perpetuate it.

To refer to another type of privilege, I suffer from a visible disability. When my girlfriend and I are out together, people will often question her about the nature of my disability and ignore me, particularly if I am in a wheelchair.

This is in spite of the fact that my disability affects my LEGS, not my powers of speech, my hearing or my cognitive faculties. They see the chair or the crutches and assume that I am unable to communicate.

SW London

No.

I wouldn't do that, no.

Are you okay having a conversation with blinkered Muppets then?

Obviously, otherwise this thread would be much shorter "

You just aren't understanding the obvious point everyone else is making .... try being in someone else's shoes for a week, and you would see it as plain as day

maidstone

Err...no.

Of course you don't feel you are getting preferential treatment because it's the norm as you are a white male. That's the whole fucking point!

"

Pls pls stop making such stupid comments, this conversation is obviously to much for your grey matter. Your imput is pointless

"I think the point you are missing is quite often you will receive that privilege without even realising

When you have applied for jobs you wouldn't know who else was applying ??!!!"

That won't stop him getting angry at who they might have been

SW London

Err...no.

Pls pls stop making such stupid comments, this conversation is obviously to much for your grey matter. Your imput is pointless "

Tillytally is absolutely right though. You may want to re-evaluate whose grey matter can't process the comments everyone is making

Err...no.

Pls pls stop making such stupid comments, this conversation is obviously to much for your grey matter. Your imput is pointless "

*too

*input

There...i never feel properly patronised for my pointlessness unless the spelling is correct

maidstone

So , in a nutshell

As a white male I should feel very privileged, my life is full of hidden joys as I'm white! I should put all my own struggles to the side and feel sorry for other races but still accept my privilege and moan about it later. And if none of this suits me I should just be quite and enjoy the privileges I've been blessed with.

instead of replying to that guy why not show him what it's like to be disadvantaged and just treat him like he doesn't matter and is irrelevant?

maidstone

Err...no.

Pls pls stop making such stupid comments, this conversation is obviously to much for your grey matter. Your imput is pointless

*too

*input

There...i never feel properly patronised for my pointlessness unless the spelling is correct"

Like most people that have nothing interesting or relevant to the topic you bring up spelling or grammar. Well done you are told me you have no valid points to bring to the table

SW London

"So , in a nutshell

As a white male I should feel very privileged, my life is full of hidden joys as I'm white! I should put all my own struggles to the side and feel sorry for other races but still accept my privilege and moan about it later. And if none of this suits me I should just be quite and enjoy the privileges I've been blessed with. "

Oh yes

"So , in a nutshell

As a white male I should feel very privileged, my life is full of hidden joys as I'm white! I should put all my own struggles to the side and feel sorry for other races but still accept my privilege and moan about it later. And if none of this suits me I should just be quite and enjoy the privileges I've been blessed with. "

Only YOU have said this.

You have ignored the many points and explanations.

Doing otherwise would get in the way of your indignation.

maidstone

"instead of replying to that guy why not show him what it's like to be disadvantaged and just treat him like he doesn't matter and is irrelevant?

"

Because that's immature and proves you are to stupid to hold a conversation where there a different opinions to yours.

Err...no.

*too

*input

There...i never feel properly patronised for my pointlessness unless the spelling is correct

Like most people that have nothing interesting or relevant to the topic you bring up spelling or grammar. Well done you are told me you have no valid points to bring to the table "

But the question is...would you shag me if i agreed with you ?

"instead of replying to that guy why not show him what it's like to be disadvantaged and just treat him like he doesn't matter and is irrelevant?

Because that's immature and proves you are to stupid to hold a conversation where there a different opinions to yours."

i don't really care about your opinion. you have said nothing substantial and not backed up a single thing you've accused.

your opinion is moot.

Because that's immature and proves you are to stupid to hold a conversation where there a different opinions to yours."

But you don't seem to have an actual opinion.

All that you've done is denied what others have explained and then resorted to questioning the intelligence of others while being utterly oblivious to the irony of doing so.

SW London

Err...no.

*too

*input

Like most people that have nothing interesting or relevant to the topic you bring up spelling or grammar. Well done you are told me you have no valid points to bring to the table

But the question is...would you shag me if i agreed with you ?"

I don't think you should because that would be reinforcing the white privilege, wouldn't it?

Err...no.

*too

*input

I don't think you should because that would be reinforcing the white privilege, wouldn't it?"

I'm just waiting on a knocback so i can scream sexism

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"So , in a nutshell

Well to be fair the vast majority of whites (male and female) are privileged, as are the lives of the majority regardless of colour who live in the 'west'. Very few live in absolute poverty, very few are held in bondage.

However there is without doubt an element who are racist and xenophobic.

maidstone

Err...no.

*too

*input

I don't think you should because that would be reinforcing the white privilege, wouldn't it?

I'm just waiting on a knocback so i can scream sexism "

Says it all. You'd put a knock back down to sexism, rather than your unattractive personality!

Err...no.

*too

*input

I'm just waiting on a knocback so i can scream sexism

Says it all. You'd put a knock back down to sexism, rather than your unattractive personality! "

Your response said so much more. If abject stupidity ever becomes a protected characteristic i'll definitely require another equality and diversity workshop in light of my blatant discriminatory comments.

"So , in a nutshell

No one is denying that you have struggles of your own, or that those struggles are important.

No one is saying that you should 'feel sorry' for people from other racial backgrounds.

We simply ask that you acknowledge that being a white man automatically provides you with certain advantages...not through any fault of your own, but simply because of how our society is constructed.

Just because you have had a fortunate accident of birth does not mean that you can shut your eyes to the consequences of that accident.

I leave this type of nonsense for idiots in the lounge to worry about

moston

"I leave this type of nonsense for idiots in the lounge to worry about "

Yep...

Truth is everyone can claim to be part of a minority if they feel that need, and will feel they are being unfairly picked on because of their minority status if that is why they see themselves as part a minority that is discriminated against.

"Truth is everyone can claim to be part of a minority if they feel that need, and will feel they are being unfairly picked on because of their minority status if that is why they see themselves as part a minority that is discriminated against."

People are not discriminated against simply 'because they have minority status.'

They are discriminated against because they are in a position of weakness and/or vulnerability relative to those who exercise power and influence.

Also, one point that has not yet been made is that it is possible for one to simultaneously hold privilege and be the victim of it. (See: Kyriarchy)

For instance, I hold privilege as a white, middle class, university-educated male aged between 18 and 49, and because I am in possession of British Citizenship.

At the same time, I am discriminated against as a result of being physical and neurologically disabled, and because I openly identify as bisexual.

moston

"People are not discriminated against simply 'because they have minority status.'"

Agreed.

"They are discriminated against because they are in a position of weakness and/or vulnerability relative to those who exercise power and influence."

Not necessarily. Although for many that is the case it is not for all, (see my point about your sexuality below).

"Also, one point that has not yet been made is that it is possible for one to simultaneously hold privilege and be the victim of it. (See: Kyriarchy)

For instance, I hold privilege as a white, middle class, university-educated male aged between 18 and 49, and because I am in possession of British Citizenship."

For the most part agreed. However I would say that all middle class, university educated British citizens regardless of colour are privileged.

"At the same time, I am discriminated against as a result of being physical and neurologically disabled, and because I openly identify as bisexual."

Again I would agree with you when it comes to your disability. However I would be less willing to agree when it comes to your open bisexuality, I would suggest that any discrimination you encounter regarding your sexuality is purely down to you going out of your way to attract attention. After all the only way anyone can tell your sexuality is if you advertise it.

It is my contention that many actively seek out negative attention and then blame that attention on unfair discrimination in order to gain an advantage.

"Truth is everyone can claim to be part of a minority if they feel that need, and will feel they are being unfairly picked on because of their minority status if that is why they see themselves as part a minority that is discriminated against.

People are not discriminated against simply 'because they have minority status.'

They are discriminated against because they are in a position of weakness and/or vulnerability relative to those who exercise power and influence.

Also, one point that has not yet been made is that it is possible for one to simultaneously hold privilege and be the victim of it. (See: Kyriarchy)

For instance, I hold privilege as a white, middle class, university-educated male aged between 18 and 49, and because I am in possession of British Citizenship.

At the same time, I am discriminated against as a result of being physical and neurologically disabled, and because I openly identify as bisexual."

You have an illusion of privilege.

Try wandering around Croydon at midnight in your dress and see how much privilege you've actually got?... My guess would be not much!.

As individual animals were all living by nature's rules, only as an intelligent animal within society are constraints pushed.

Do people with money hold more power is like asking is the pope a Catholic

"I would say that all middle class, university educated British citizens regardless of colour are privileged."

As I said...that's how KYRIARCHY works.

One can hold privilege as middle class and university educated while at the same time facing discrimination due to their race or ethnicity.

Obama, for instance, was the target of a racist 'Birther' conspiracy theory.

However, he still occupied a privileged position relative to most black Americans due to his having attended Columbia and Harvard.

"You have an illusion of privilege.

Try wandering around Croydon at midnight in your dress and see how much privilege you've actually got?... My guess would be not much!"

Why would I do that? I'm not a transvestite, nor do I identify as transgender.

I wear women's underwear purely as a part of kink play.

In any case, I receive a huge amount of privilege on account of my race, educational background and class.

For instance, most people I know who suffer from my disability did not attend a private school, and go on to attend one of the world's top 3 universities.

I did both of those things, and it puts me at a huge advantage over them, particularly in the job market.

"In countries overpopulated by white people then I would say yes,

But it is/has been changing in most countries "

South Africa. Minority white population, who 'own' the majority of the wealth.