FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Housing and Brexit

Housing and Brexit

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *asyuk OP   Man  over a year ago

West London

How will Brexit improve the housing market in the UK, making it more affordable?

This must be an easy one compared to my other questions

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"How will Brexit improve the housing market in the UK, making it more affordable?

This must be an easy one compared to my other questions "

How will Brexit improve access to 5 holed green lego boards?

West London

"

How will Brexit improve access to 5 holed green lego boards?"

No. Housing. It's a different thing unless, of course, you are implying that there is no relationship

"

No. Housing. It's a different thing unless, of course, you are implying that there is no relationship "

I am implying that our access to 5 holed green lego boards may be affected by our decision to exit the EU. It is significant. Unless you are not interested in lego.

What about Bratwurst? And kebab meat? These are the questions that need to be addressed.

Brexit will be a weak force on housing. Other,greater forces and factors are in play.

West London

"

I am implying that our access to 5 holed green lego boards may be affected by our decision to exit the EU. It is significant. Unless you are not interested in lego.

What about Bratwurst? And kebab meat? These are the questions that need to be addressed."

They increased Lego pricing at the start of the year apparently.

We can call anything Bratwurst or Cornish pasties as there'll be no regulation to protect their provenance.

I guess housing isn't that important in comparison

"

What about Bratwurst? And kebab meat? These are the questions that need to be addressed.

They increased Lego pricing at the start of the year apparently.

We can call anything Bratwurst or Cornish pasties as there'll be no regulation to protect their provenance.

I guess housing isn't that important in comparison "

I think legislation protects the provenance of Cornish pasties. However, I am not so keen on the general salt content of Bratwursts? What do you think? Will Brexit have an affect on red Lego? Or just the green?

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"

No. Housing. It's a different thing unless, of course, you are implying that there is no relationship "

"How will Brexit improve the housing market in the UK, making it more affordable?

Very easy, if what you predict that brexit will cause a large loss in UK GDP, housing prices will come down significantly in the UK.

Viola brexit made housing more affordable

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

This must be an easy one compared to my other questions .

Very easy, if what you predict that brexit will cause a large loss in UK GDP, housing prices will come down significantly in the UK.

Viola brexit made housing more affordable "

Well I do know a colleague of mine was trying to buy a house recently but couldn't get a mortgage (recently self employed). Then shortly after the referendum he got a call from a lender willing to lend as they said they were relaxing their criteria in order to deal with the fact that due to uncertainty the housing market had slowed down.

So not sure what to say about that... I mean, nothing has changed really, just the lenders relaxing their rules... which they put there in the first place to manage their risk. So what does that say about the lenders then?

-Matt

West London

"

I think legislation protects the provenance of Cornish pasties. However, I am not so keen on the general salt content of Bratwursts? What do you think? Will Brexit have an affect on red Lego? Or just the green?"

EU legislation protects it

There will be plenty of lamb for kebabs as the French won't buy ours anymore.

Salt depends on your sausage consumption.

All Lego

West London

I was expecting for someone to say something about there being less demand due to immigration which actually will be true. Nobody joining the dots?

However, are those already here allowed to stay, in which case there'll still be a problem.

Will London property still be an attractive international investment option in the medium to long term?

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

Well apparently house prices are due to drop by 20% within 2 years of June 23rd 2016. They'be gone by a few percent sincere, so will be falling by a quarter over the next year or so.

From that great literary work "Economic Armageddon Immediately following a vote to Leave" Chapter "housing price collapse", with learned articles by BoE, Mark Carney, IMF, OECD, George Osborne, David Cameron, Vince Cable, EU Ministers, Angela Merkel, Obama, and other experts.

Derby

This must be an easy one compared to my other questions

Well apparently house prices are due to drop by 20% within 2 years of June 23rd 2016. They'be gone by a few percent sincere, so will be falling by a quarter over the next year or so.

From that great literary work "Economic Armageddon Immediately following a vote to Leave" Chapter "housing price collapse", with learned articles by BoE, Mark Carney, IMF, OECD, George Osborne, David Cameron, Vince Cable, EU Ministers, Angela Merkel, Obama, and other experts."

They've gone up by a few percent since then..... damn predictive spelling!

West London

"

From that great literary work "Economic Armageddon Immediately following a vote to Leave" Chapter "housing price collapse", with learned articles by BoE, Mark Carney, IMF, OECD, George Osborne, David Cameron, Vince Cable, EU Ministers, Angela Merkel, Obama, and other experts."

I don't know their logic path, but if we make all EU nationals leave and UK property stops bring international investment grade then that isn't inconceivable is it?

I'm not saying likely but not an impossible scenario either

Derby

"

From that great literary work "Economic Armageddon Immediately following a vote to Leave" Chapter "housing price collapse", with learned articles by BoE, Mark Carney, IMF, OECD, George Osborne, David Cameron, Vince Cable, EU Ministers, Angela Merkel, Obama, and other experts.

I don't know their logic path, but if we make all EU nationals leave and UK property stops bring international investment grade then that isn't inconceivable is it?

I'm not saying likely but not an impossible scenario either "

So how probable do you think it is that we'll make all EU nationals leave? What level of possibility, as a percentage? Or are you just trying to stir things up? And don't forget.....the forecast was that within 2 years of a brexit vote house prices will have dropped by 20%.

West London

"

So how probable do you think it is that we'll make all EU nationals leave? What level of possibility, as a percentage? Or are you just trying to stir things up? And don't forget.....the forecast was that within 2 years of a brexit vote house prices will have dropped by 20%."

I'm not stirring anything up, and I said unlikely.

You actually implied that you did not believe that house prices would fall because the figures came from Osborne's project fear.

I don't, therefore, understand what point you are making

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Market forces will dictate house prices, as they've always done.

Brexit will have nothing to do with it

Derby

"

So how probable do you think it is that we'll make all EU nationals leave? What level of possibility, as a percentage? Or are you just trying to stir things up? And don't forget.....the forecast was that within 2 years of a brexit vote house prices will have dropped by 20%.

I'm not stirring anything up, and I said unlikely.

You actually implied that you did not believe that house prices would fall because the figures came from Osborne's project fear.

I don't, therefore, understand what point you are making "

Ok, a question for you..

Has being in the EU had an impact on house prices? How?

West London

"

Ok, a question for you..

Has being in the EU had an impact on house prices? How? "

I stated this earlier in the thread but I will rephrase it here:

Increased immigration from the EU concentrated in specific areas leads local increases in demand specifically for rental properties due to a large percentage going into low wage jobs. This drives up prices.

The UK has been seen as a stable social, political and economic location within the EU and encouraged international property investment, also driving up prices.

Having done your analysis for you, do you now have an opinion?

Derby

"

Ok, a question for you..

Has being in the EU had an impact on house prices? How?

I stated this earlier in the thread but I will rephrase it here:

Increased immigration from the EU concentrated in specific areas leads local increases in demand specifically for rental properties due to a large percentage going into low wage jobs. This drives up prices.

The UK has been seen as a stable social, political and economic location within the EU and encouraged international property investment, also driving up prices.

Having done your analysis for you, do you now have an opinion?"

Brexit will have no effect on the housing market. The housing market will continue as normal. ... Prices will increase over the long term, but there may be a decrease sometimes. Same as we've always seen. I had a house in the late eighties, it lost 40% in a matter of months in a recession. I've also had a house that has increased by 40% in a small period of time. It is impossible that we will deport all EU citizens.... Not even a remote possibility.

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

Brexit probably won't have too great a direct effect on housing prices. But it will almost certainly have a massive effect on employment wages and interest rates.

"Brexit probably won't have too great a direct effect on housing prices. But it will almost certainly have a massive effect on employment wages and interest rates."

you just said that to get abuse didn't you

we know, we have read your profile

West London

"

Brexit will have no effect on the housing market. The housing market will continue as normal. ... Prices will increase over the long term, but there may be a decrease sometimes. Same as we've always seen. I had a house in the late eighties, it lost 40% in a matter of months in a recession. I've also had a house that has increased by 40% in a small period of time. It is impossible that we will deport all EU citizens.... Not even a remote possibility. "

My hope would be that this would be one of the few positive aspects of Brexit.

There is a strong possibility that the UK will see net emigration and therefore reduced demand and therefore prices. I don't know if this will ever get down to the point, particularly in the South East, where people can reduce the proportion of their earnings spent on rent and mortgages. This would allow increased spending in the real economy and a reduction in wealth inequality as more people could afford to buy and inheritance wouldn't be skewed to property owners.

The problem, of course, is that this won't happen in isolation so if there are interest rate increases to counter inflation, an exodus of finance to safer markets, or international trade faltering and leading to unemployment then falling house prices won't seem so positive.

The general perspective seems to me no change in the status quo in this respect is good. I'm not sure that it is in this case.

West London

"Brexit probably won't have too great a direct effect on housing prices. But it will almost certainly have a massive effect on employment wages and interest rates.

you just said that to get abuse didn't you

we know, we have read your profile

"

I'm not sure that either of these comments were very enlightening

» Add a new message to this topic