FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > 50 shades of amendments

50 shades of amendments

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Apparently the SNP are going to propose 50 amendments to the article 50 bill (reputedly the bill is 3 sentences in length).

Under parliamentary rules amendments have to be "considered as relevant" by the speaker.

Given that the Supreme Court has ruled that Scottish Parliament does NOT have to be consulted....how many of these amendments are likely to get through to be discussed?

I'm thinking of opening a book on it.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

My book is gonna be empty if no-one wants to make bets on it!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Ok, I'll say... none

It will go to a vote, will be passed through

SNP, and some Conservative/Lab back benchers will vote against but it WILL be backed by the majority and passed

end of story, close the book

Probably an amendment allowing the SNP the right to winge and complain about everything Westminster decide

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

I think it will be steamrollered through the Commons, however I think there is a better than even chance that the Lords will frustrate the bills quick passage through parliament.

The speaker will rule the fuck wit admendments will be irrelevant and won't allow one single one because it is nonesense.

Wee Nippy will then declare Westminster does not listen.

The mats are the party of devision and grevience

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

[Removed by poster at 30/01/17 15:49:33]

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"I think it will be steamrollered through the Commons, however I think there is a better than even chance that the Lords will frustrate the bills quick passage through parliament."

These indeed are remarkable times. One of the shortest ever bills in history and one that will change the UK more than anything else in our lifetimes and the two main political parties are urging their own MP's to not question, amend are dare to oppose it.

Good article in the FT today about Trump and the perils of Brexit - I think our MP's need to read it. I might not want Brexit, but I want "Brexit at any cost" even less. What is so wrong about adding some checks and balances to make sure that country does not backslide bent over and into an oversized Brexit dildo coated with broken glass without the ability to pull the stop handle?

Is it just not simple prudence to cover your ass anymore - or is it just the done thing now to bend over, open wide and just see what happens?

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Apparently the SNP are going to propose 50 amendments to the article 50 bill (reputedly the bill is 3 sentences in length).

Under parliamentary rules amendments have to be "considered as relevant" by the speaker.

Given that the Supreme Court has ruled that Scottish Parliament does NOT have to be consulted....how many of these amendments are likely to get through to be discussed?

I'm thinking of opening a book on it."

Shows how pathetic and ignorant the SNP are

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"I think it will be steamrollered through the Commons, however I think there is a better than even chance that the Lords will frustrate the bills quick passage through parliament."

The House of Lords will be signing their own demise if they seek to block this bill. If we have a general election and a party puts in its manifesto to reform the House of Lords and make it more democratic because they blocked this bill then that party would get a lot of support in the country. Even if the House of Lords are stupid enough to sign their own death warrant by blocking the bill then the government can just flood the House of Lords with new pro-Brexit representatives to make sure it goes through. Flooding the House of Lords with new representatives was suggested before in history in the early 1900's when the House of Lords tried to go against the House of Commons wishes. Remember under the current system House of Lords representatives are appointed and not elected and new ones can be appointed who are more in line with public opinion and the opinion of the government/House of Commons.

» Add a new message to this topic