FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > US Beef Lobby want 100% Tax on European Motorbikes

US Beef Lobby want 100% Tax on European Motorbikes

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oi_Lucy OP   Couple  over a year ago

Barbados

Taken directly from a motorbike website... not verified it, but nonetheless it shows what daft things can go on with tariffs and trade deals:

"THE U.S. BEEF industry wants to impose 100% tax on European motorcycles sold in America.

It has suggested that European bikes up to 500cc be subject to a tax of 100% of their sale price – meaning that models like the KTM RC390, Ducati Scrambler Sixty2, BMW G310R, Aprilia RS125 will would cost twice as much if the US government pays attention.

The petition stems from the fact that the European Union bans the sale of US beef over here because it doesn’t meet EU quality standards, as US cattle are often given antibiotics and hormones including oestrogen, testosterone, progesterone and bovine growth hormone.

It means the US beef industry is blocked from a huge market and its potential profits. The World Trade Organisation has previously said the EU’s ban on US beef ‘violates its international trade obligations’ and so allows the US government to add additional taxes and levies on a specific list of products from Europe.

The American beef lobby wants that list updated and expanded, so has proposed a new list of European exports to target. Most of it is foodstuffs including chicken, confectionary, fruits and juices but at the bottom of the list, it’s suggesting targeting motorcycles (and hair clippers, bizarrely) as part of its retaliation against the EU.

Specifically, the updated list lists the following:

‘Motorcycles (incl. mopeds) and cycles, fitted with reciprocating internal-combustion piston engine with cylinder capacity of over 50 cc but not over 250 cc’ and ‘Motorcycles (incl. mopeds) and cycles, fitted with reciprocating internal-combustion piston engine with cylinder capacity of over 250 cc but not over 500 cc’.

Such a hefty tax would have negative effects on bike dealerships and European manufacturers and has been strongly condemned by the American Motorcycle Association (AMA), which is asking riders to voice their concerns."

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *entralscotscpl7Couple  over a year ago

Falkirk

So every biker in the US will now ride a Harley Ferguson.

So BMW, Ducati, KTM are to cease selling in the US.

Can't see that happening to be honest.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Bet MV Agusta wish they were still owned by Harley Dav

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"Taken directly from a motorbike website... not verified it, but nonetheless it shows what daft things can go on with tariffs and trade deals:

THE U.S. BEEF industry wants to impose 100% tax on European motorcycles sold in America.

It has suggested that European bikes up to 500cc be subject to a tax of 100% of their sale price – meaning that models like the KTM RC390, Ducati Scrambler Sixty2, BMW G310R, Aprilia RS125 will would cost twice as much if the US government pays attention.

The petition stems from the fact that the European Union bans the sale of US beef over here because it doesn’t meet EU quality standards, as US cattle are often given antibiotics and hormones including oestrogen, testosterone, progesterone and bovine growth hormone.

It means the US beef industry is blocked from a huge market and its potential profits. The World Trade Organisation has previously said the EU’s ban on US beef ‘violates its international trade obligations’ and so allows the US government to add additional taxes and levies on a specific list of products from Europe.

The American beef lobby wants that list updated and expanded, so has proposed a new list of European exports to target. Most of it is foodstuffs including chicken, confectionary, fruits and juices but at the bottom of the list, it’s suggesting targeting motorcycles (and hair clippers, bizarrely) as part of its retaliation against the EU.

Specifically, the updated list lists the following:

‘Motorcycles (incl. mopeds) and cycles, fitted with reciprocating internal-combustion piston engine with cylinder capacity of over 50 cc but not over 250 cc’ and ‘Motorcycles (incl. mopeds) and cycles, fitted with reciprocating internal-combustion piston engine with cylinder capacity of over 250 cc but not over 500 cc’.

Such a hefty tax would have negative effects on bike dealerships and European manufacturers and has been strongly condemned by the American Motorcycle Association (AMA), which is asking riders to voice their concerns."

Well the Metro (Macro in UK) cash and carry here in Germany sells lots of US beef.

So I would doubt that it is an EU thing.

Bloody hell!!!!! I've just defended the EU.

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

Can't see this having any affect on the UK now we are leaving the EU. Seems like a tit for tat spat between the USA and the EU. If the UK can do a trade deal with the USA now we are leaving the EU then we can get around it. British motorcycle companies like Triumph won't be affected.

Barbados

"Can't see this having any affect on the UK now we are leaving the EU. Seems like a tit for tat spat between the USA and the EU. If the UK can do a trade deal with the USA now we are leaving the EU then we can get around it. British motorcycle companies like Triumph won't be affected. "

That wasn't my point.

As I said, this just highlights some of the crazy shit that goes on surrounding international trade deals.

And if you wanted to take this specific example then what are you saying, if we leave the EU we will suddenly decide to accept a lower food standards?

-Matt

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

The FT has a pretty stark article in it today about Britains future outside the EU with President Trump in the driving seat of the USA.

https://www.ft.com/content/fde7616a-e6cf-11e6-967b-c88452263daf

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

"Can't see this having any affect on the UK now we are leaving the EU. Seems like a tit for tat spat between the USA and the EU. If the UK can do a trade deal with the USA now we are leaving the EU then we can get around it. British motorcycle companies like Triumph won't be affected. "

Triumph don't make anything that small

Cannock

"Can't see this having any affect on the UK now we are leaving the EU. Seems like a tit for tat spat between the USA and the EU. If the UK can do a trade deal with the USA now we are leaving the EU then we can get around it. British motorcycle companies like Triumph won't be affected.

That wasn't my point.

As I said, this just highlights some of the crazy shit that goes on surrounding international trade deals.

And if you wanted to take this specific example then what are you saying, if we leave the EU we will suddenly decide to accept a lower food standards?

-Matt"

You'll have a choice. If you want to buy food from the EU then you can do so. If other people want to buy food from the USA then they can do so. It will be on the packaging so I don't see a problem with it. Personally when it comes to beef I prefer to buy British anyway, and funnily enough that is also on the packaging.

Cannock

"Can't see this having any affect on the UK now we are leaving the EU. Seems like a tit for tat spat between the USA and the EU. If the UK can do a trade deal with the USA now we are leaving the EU then we can get around it. British motorcycle companies like Triumph won't be affected.

Triumph don't make anything that small"

They could in future though once we have left the EU and get a trade deal with the USA. The owner of Triumph (John Bloor) is a billionaire, very successful businessman. He knows how to exploit markets and sees opportunities in the market when they arise. This could be a great opening in the market for him to exploit if he played his cards right, could get Triumph motorcycles shipped from the UK to USA much cheaper than from the EU to the USA.

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

"

-Matt"

Lots of crazy shit, like when Thailand wanted to buy F15 fighters, but didn't have the cash, so they paid in frozen chickens!

"

-Matt

Lots of crazy shit, like when Thailand wanted to buy F15 fighters, but didn't have the cash, so they paid in frozen chickens! "

Was it chicken or dog?

Cambridge

"

-Matt

Lots of crazy shit, like when Thailand wanted to buy F15 fighters, but didn't have the cash, so they paid in frozen chickens!

Was it chicken or dog?"

Why would it be dog?

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

They could in future though once we have left the EU and get a trade deal with the USA. The owner of Triumph (John Bloor) is a billionaire, very successful businessman. He knows how to exploit markets and sees opportunities in the market when they arise. This could be a great opening in the market for him to exploit if he played his cards right, could get Triumph motorcycles shipped from the UK to USA much cheaper than from the EU to the USA. "

Like opening that plant in Thailand?

[Removed by poster at 30/01/17 21:05:36]

"

-Matt

Was it chicken or dog?

Why would it be dog? "

I think CandM cannot tell the difference between them.

"

-Matt

Was it chicken or dog?

Why would it be dog?

I think CandM cannot tell the difference between them."

I've never tasted dog have you?

Cannock

They could in future though once we have left the EU and get a trade deal with the USA. The owner of Triumph (John Bloor) is a billionaire, very successful businessman. He knows how to exploit markets and sees opportunities in the market when they arise. This could be a great opening in the market for him to exploit if he played his cards right, could get Triumph motorcycles shipped from the UK to USA much cheaper than from the EU to the USA.

Like opening that plant in Thailand?

"

Thailand still not affected by what the OP highlighted are they.

"

-Matt

Was it chicken or dog?

Why would it be dog?

I've never tasted dog have you?"

No. But I had lamb blood, fresh from a slaughter. Taste good with lemon and herbs.

Cambridge

"

-Matt

Was it chicken or dog?

Why would it be dog?

I've never tasted dog have you?"

So why would it be dog?

[Removed by poster at 30/01/17 21:31:17]

Not related to the OP's but even in Europe they push the limits. It's businesses that do it. Remember the horse scandal from within Europe.

Cannock

That wasn't my point.

-Matt"

I'm not sure American food standards have lead to horse meat being sold on American supermarket shelves under the guise of and labelled as Beef, which despite EU food standards still happened in the EU.

[Removed by poster at 30/01/17 21:36:47]

That wasn't my point.

-Matt

I'm not sure American food standards have lead to horse meat being sold on American supermarket shelves under the guise of and labelled as Beef, which despite EU food standards still happened in the EU. "

I beat you to it. But also Mad Cow Disease, battery chickens etc. But it isn't EU regulations causing it. It's businesses trying to increase profits.

By *anes HubbyCouple  over a year ago

Babbacombe Torquay

Farmers being pushed to the limits because of the constant price wars going on between British supermarket chains.....leads to food safety corners being cut.

Barbados

That wasn't my point.

-Matt

I'm not sure American food standards have lead to horse meat being sold on American supermarket shelves under the guise of and labelled as Beef, which despite EU food standards still happened in the EU.

I beat you to it. But also Mad Cow Disease, battery chickens etc. But it isn't EU regulations causing it. It's businesses trying to increase profits. "

as an aside...

Actually there was a very interesting report on the radio the other day talking about free range hens. There is an EU directive saying the due to bird flu that birds need to be kept indoors for their own welfare. Fair enough. But that then means that after a certain time period they can no longer be classed as 'free range'. Also seems fair enough.

But you now have a situation where a small holding with free range chickens are going to no longer be able to call them 'free range' so the problem is, how do they then compete against the battery/barn eggs on the shelves when they can no longer be free range? Not to mention the cost/lead time of relabel-ing. e.g. an 8 week lead time of getting new packaging that no longer says free range.

Bit of a crazy situation. I mean, I can understand why, but still... hard to work out how best to proceed. One suggestion was to be able to stick a sticker on the cartons saying something like 'due to bird flu the hens laying these eggs have been kept indoors' to stick over the 'free range' bit. But surely that can' be seen as good business. I would imagine most customer would see the warning and buy something else... probably caged hen eggs of lower welfare standard. Then there is the issue of other good that include free range eggs etc. One example was McDonalds have 'free range eggs' written on signs in/on their establishments... are they meant to get them repainted now?

all a bit crazy

-Matt

» Add a new message to this topic