FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Huge rise in council tax

Huge rise in council tax

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

There will be a huge rise in council tax, to meet growing demand for social care, about 5% will be added, what is your view or could they cut other things in the budget instead?.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

How about overseas aid?...look after our own first!!!!

5% is not huge..unless you think the elderly and those who need care should be left to fend for themselves, how else do you suggest the money is raised?..most councils have already eaten into other areas of their budgets to top up the care budget and there is still a massive shortfall..what do you suggest as a solution?

"How about overseas aid?...look after our own first!!!!"

not sure how much local councils are liable to pay for overseas aid?..not from the same pot of money at all!

Tax is never fair

There's not enough money in the coffers, if I have to pay a little more to help improve or to help retain services, then so be it.

Taxes are like death....inevitable.

I agree totally with the above, but I find it so frustrating when I see the amount of money given away to so called developing countries..India for instance..they have a bigger space programme than the U.K...how are they a developing country??..??

"There will be a huge rise in council tax, to meet growing demand for social care, about 5% will be added, what is your view or could they cut other things in the budget instead?."

iirc councils need to do a referendum to rase them above 2/3%.

So i csnt see there being many 5% reises beibg voted in

"I agree totally with the above, but I find it so frustrating when I see the amount of money given away to so called developing countries..India for instance..they have a bigger space programme than the U.K...how are they a developing country??..??"

The uk has since ended its aid program with india.

And whst you're forgetting is this aid comes with conditions.

Ie we give you 5 billion but at least 4 billion has to be spent through british companies

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

"There will be a huge rise in council tax, to meet growing demand for social care, about 5% will be added, what is your view or could they cut other things in the budget instead?."

Ok, short point on basic economics.

There are three main drivers of the economy here:

* individuals/household/private spending

* business/corporations

* government

Many people have seen wages stagnate or fall over the last decade and, with Brexit, we are now likely to face higher prices for imports, which also reduces consumer spending.

Business is nervous about Brexit. Some will stay, some are looking to leave, many are waiting to see what the g'ment does before committing to invest & spend on their businesses.

Which leaves government. Over the last 5 years g'ment spending has been cut by about 9%, with greater cuts expected.

As you take money out of the economy it grinds to a halt.

As GK Galbraith pointed out "The government should pay people to dig holes in the ground and then fill them up."

Keeps the money spinning.

The alternative is less spending, more cuts to over-stretched services that end up costing more down the line.

But whatever.

Good points everyone, we will see how it will go.

In our area the council tax increases have been minimal for several years now so it's not surprising that a bigger increase is looming. For us our banding is quite low so we'll probably only see a £6/7 a month increase so hardly a dent to the finances

By *htcMan  over a year ago

MK

Shouldn't happen or be allowed. If they made changes it could be decreased easily. Other country's have very little council tax or land tax.

Change the laws and ways this country wastes it.

Cut foreign aid, unless a natural disaster

Cut benefits

No free NHS for non British

All immigrants not entitled to any benefit's until they have paid in for one year, includes housing, or NHS or any handout.

Asylum is cancelled to anyone who enters illegally.

Prisoners to start manufacturing in prison to earn food and supply's.

People on benefits to do a minimum of 2 hours per day work to get there benefits for the council.

That's just some

"Shouldn't happen or be allowed. If they made changes it could be decreased easily. Other country's have very little council tax or land tax.

Cut benefits

All immigrants not entitled to any benefit's until they have paid in for one year, includes housing, or NHS or any handout.

People on benefits to do a minimum of 2 hours per day work to get there benefits for the council.

That's just some"

not sure you quite grasp the difference in local council tax and income tax..but i doubt there's any point in trying to explain it...your childrens schooling, your ageing parents care, in fact most of the front line ,most important day to day services you receive are down to in the main, your local council and how they see fit to budget..already many are eating into budgets allocated for other things just to keep the most basic standard of care viable..most councils are at tipping point already,laying off teaching and nursery assistants in huge numbers,cutting hours at day centres,and cutting the services used by elderly,disabled etc to minimum level just to get by...and that is bearing in mind the people paid to do those jobs are paid fuck all to do them...so, no, i don't see anything wrong at all in in increase in a local tax for people who are using, and will continue to use at an ever increasing level, local services!

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Central government has cut tax funding to local councils, hence local services having been slashed over the last five years. They need more money for essential services, so have limited option but to raise council tax. Probably should rise much more

The areas likely to be hit in the short term are libraries and local leisure centres which will be a shame as I'm an avid user of both.

Happy to pay the 'hike' to ensure those with the greatest needs get prompt access to the services which will improve their quality of life.

[Removed by poster at 20/02/17 19:44:39]

"Shouldn't happen or be allowed. If they made changes it could be decreased easily. Other country's have very little council tax or land tax.

Cut benefits

That's just some

You have a thing about benefits!!!

Cut benefits.....any more cuts and they may as well stop them.

Stop people coming into the country getting benefits.....what benefits.

Make people work 2 hours p.d. for their benefits.......they work 30 please provide pew week now!

If you haven't seen it you should be made to watch "I Daniel Blake"...you might learn something....but I doubt it "

as i said earlier, i'd try and explain,but there's really no point...

5% rise would equate to £10 a month for me and that's not a huge amount

Happy to pay that

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

Has the Politics forum gone?

Cut benefits

That's just some"

You have a thing about benefits!!

Cut benefits....if they are cut any further they will not exist.

Stop people coming into the country claiming benefits.....what benefits.

Make people work for 2 hours per day for their benefits....they work 30 hours per week now for their benefits.

If you haven't seen it you should be made to watch "I Daniel Blake" ...you might learn something but I doubt it

By *ndigo40Woman  over a year ago

secret town

"5% is not huge..unless you think the elderly and those who need care should be left to fend for themselves, how else do you suggest the money is raised?..most councils have already eaten into other areas of their budgets to top up the care budget and there is still a massive shortfall..what do you suggest as a solution?"

These care companies and care homes charge huge amounts of money.

The government need to look at these criminals first

secret town

If Trump was in power over here he soon sort it out

I like Trump

"5% is not huge..unless you think the elderly and those who need care should be left to fend for themselves, how else do you suggest the money is raised?..most councils have already eaten into other areas of their budgets to top up the care budget and there is still a massive shortfall..what do you suggest as a solution?

"

i work as a carer and my wages are pretty shit..nearly half of what the company charges..however, despite the constant moaning from clients about the cost, they are charging no more than people pay for many many other services..in fact many of them use us just to do cleaning as it's cheaper than a decent cleaner would be, cheaper than they pay for a bloody dogwalkers!! so,no, unless you think it's ok to expect people to earn even less than they already do to care for people that need it, people need to stick their hands in their pockets and stump up for it...unless you want all your aged relatives dumped on your doorstep to look after yourselves...because that is exactly what the alternative is right now!

"5% is not huge..unless you think the elderly and those who need care should be left to fend for themselves, how else do you suggest the money is raised?..most councils have already eaten into other areas of their budgets to top up the care budget and there is still a massive shortfall..what do you suggest as a solution?

"

Care Companies in Wales are restricted on how much they can charge and increase fees based on how much the Local Council are prepared to pay us.

If they're not happy with your prices (you have to submit in writing your intended increase percentage and they write back if they accept. Usually they try to negotiate a lower cost) they will offload to a cheaper agency and you won't get referred any clients.

Care Agencies do not rake the money in i can assure you. Especially since the larger agencies have started invading areas and undercutting smaller firms and then once the competition has gone they increase their prices.

"There will be a huge rise in council tax, to meet growing demand for social care, about 5% will be added, what is your view or could they cut other things in the budget instead?.

I like Trump "

I like him too and I reckon he could as well.

How much will that effect you Shag?

"There will be a huge rise in council tax, to meet growing demand for social care, about 5% will be added, what is your view or could they cut other things in the budget instead?.

I like Trump "

Really thankfully he shouldnt be in power long enough to do any damage.

Op i think its not going to bother most.. and social care has been cut so much.

Accessing even basic services are a lottery depending on the area. As the mother of a severely disabled adult.. I am really hoping this planned increase actually helps

By *oachman 9CoolMan  over a year ago

derby

The government need to look at these criminals first I think you,ve got a good point there men in suits and carrying briefcases alongwith pen pushers working on a points system only fit for the boardroom and their cronies.

"

"How much will that effect you Shag?"
It wouldnt affect me, what about you?

By *akeyousmile30Man  over a year ago

greenwich

Did anyone mention inflation ??

Fuel up

Energy up

Everything is starting to rise.

It's all going to get bumpy again!!!!!

Tax has never bothered me.

We have a great standard of living over here. People just like fucking moaning over pennies lost here and there.

Care Companies in Wales are restricted on how much they can charge and increase fees based on how much the Local Council are prepared to pay us.

If they're not happy with your prices (you have to submit in writing your intended increase percentage and they write back if they accept. Usually they try to negotiate a lower cost) they will offload to a cheaper agency and you won't get referred any clients.

Care Agencies do not rake the money in i can assure you. Especially since the larger agencies have started invading areas and undercutting smaller firms and then once the competition has gone they increase their prices.

"

exactly! its a total myth nowadays that care agencies are somehow making millions..the situation is very very dire right now purely due to our ageing population...it is not going to change..it is only going to get worse,so it needs to be dealt with now..and if in the immediate future that means a hike in council tax then fine..and no, OP, it is not a 'huge' increase at all! it's minimal given the increase in services needed!

"Did anyone mention inflation ??

Fuel up

Energy up

It's all going to get bumpy again!!!!!"

Yes. I heard it costs £8 more to fill up a car since brexit as crude oil is measured is in dollars.

Fuel up

Energy up

It's all going to get bumpy again!!!!!Yes. I heard it costs £8 more to fill up a car since brexit as crude oil is measured is in dollars."

Might make folk consider more economical cars

By *plpxp2Couple  over a year ago

Middlesbrough

The sad thing is that this increase is only going to go a short way towards meeting the cost of another Government policy in increasing the minimum wage. It does not provide any extra social care support.

secret town

"

Maybe In Wales

BUT

In England the domiciliary care companies charge so much and the fat bosses are raking it in

For an hour these companies can charge up to £20 a hour and the poor carer only gets £7.50

20p a mile and the rest the carer pays out of their own pockets for fuel

These domiciliary companies are popping up everywhere

The government should look into these companies first

Fuel up

Energy up

It's all going to get bumpy again!!!!!Yes. I heard it costs £8 more to fill up a car since brexit as crude oil is measured is in dollars.

Might make folk consider more economical cars "

Yes they would, the electric ones, which would be better for the air too

secret town

Or look after your own parents like they do In other countries

Indians, Pakistanis, Chinese etc look after their own in this country

Only British people dump the elderly onto someone else

"How much will that effect you Shag?It wouldnt affect me, what about you?"

Yes, it will increase what I pay.

"Or look after your own parents like they do In other countries

Only British people dump the elderly onto someone else "

my dad is cared for at home by us thank you very much

Maybe In Wales

BUT

In England the domiciliary care companies charge so much and the fat bosses are raking it in

For an hour these companies can charge up to £20 a hour and the poor carer only gets £7.50

20p a mile and the rest the carer pays out of their own pockets for fuel

These domiciliary companies are popping up everywhere

The government should look into these companies first

"

the rates you state are pretty accurate, but there are no 'fat cats ' raking it in anymore, as the poster above said, these companies all have to be competitive with each other,if they are too expensive,the local council will go to another one..obviously...there is very very little difference in the rates from one company to another nowadays,it is just fact that this care costs money and people have to pay for it....no-one wants to but there it is...it's just tough....to look at it completely dispassionately..there are too many old people around for us to sustain anymore at the level of tax we pay....so we have to pay more..or think of some other way of dealing with them!!

Fuel up

Energy up

It's all going to get bumpy again!!!!!Yes. I heard it costs £8 more to fill up a car since brexit as crude oil is measured is in dollars.

Might make folk consider more economical cars "

It costs me about an extra £10 a time to fill up my car now, however I paid £200 for my car and while it still gets me reliably from a to b i'll stick with what I have

Fuel up

Energy up

Might make folk consider more economical cars Yes they would, the electric ones, which would be better for the air too "

indeed

untrue...the US and most european countries are all having the same issues...if most of us give up our jobs,then fine,that would sort out the problem to a certain extent..but then you still have to consider the disabled, children with special needs,those with no relatives..it's not as simple as that!

folk piss so much money away over here, more clothes than they need, out for meals, drinks, bottles of wine at home, takeaways, that third pair of shoes, the second car, the club entry fees, cinema...whatever...so much money spent with no real need.

tenner a week on tax though, fuck me they're suddenly skint and that tenner suddenly matters to them =/

odd creatures are people

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"Has the Politics forum gone? "

I was just wondering that. The Angry Forum is leaking into the lounge.

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

most of the leaders are shit scared of trump ,if he gets results and does a good job lots of them will look like pillocks.....go Donald sort the lot

Scrap the trident, save billions of pounds?

"most of the leaders are shit scared of trump ,if he gets results and does a good job lots of them will look like pillocks.....go Donald sort the lot"

The Donald is going to sort out our council tax? Wow!

Grantham

"How much will that effect you Shag?It wouldnt affect me, what about you?"

Do you not pay council tax?

Grantham

"Has the Politics forum gone?

I was just wondering that. The Angry Forum is leaking into the lounge.

"

Definitely, it's all gone rather yuck.

"How much will that effect you Shag?It wouldnt affect me, what about you?

Do you not pay council tax?"

Yes I do, what I meant was, a 5% increase woulnt effect it so much.

5% is not enough , I'd happily pay 10% more to help the future needs of the elderly and infirm .

As it's all political in here I'll add something sensible.

You should all go online and look at the STP (Sustainability and Transformation Plan) for your area. The final versions should be ready for the end of March but the ones that had to be submitted to the DoH in October and November will give you an idea of the health and social care budget gap for your area.

Not only do older people take a bigger part of the welfare budget (42%) the costs of looking after them are increasing and putting pressure on council budgets.

That's all of us in a few years so if you think not paying for it is an option I hope you have enough resources to cover all the care costs you will have as you get older. It was about £2k a month for my mother's care.

secret town

untrue...the US and most european countries are all having the same issues...if most of us give up our jobs,then fine,that would sort out the problem to a certain extent..but then you still have to consider the disabled, children with special needs,those with no relatives..it's not as simple as that!"

I agree the disabled and special needs need extra care and I don't mind paying extra tax

But I'm on about these care companies who are raking it in and they are

If a call is cancelled the company still charges the client if the client dont give the company 24hrs notice

The carer goes unaware the call is cancelled

The carer dosent have any money for going but the company dose

Why don't these companies put that money back onto the system?

Grantham

Do you not pay council tax?Yes I do, what I meant was, a 5% increase woulnt effect it so much."

I thought your thread was about a "Huge rise in council tax" not 5%

Grantham

"As it's all political in here I'll add something sensible.

You should all go online and look at the STP (Sustainability and Transformation Plan) for your area. The final versions should be ready for the end of March but the ones that had to be submitted to the DoH in October and November will give you an idea of the health and social care budget gap for your area.

Not only do older people take a bigger part of the welfare budget (42%) the costs of looking after them are increasing and putting pressure on council budgets.

That's all of us in a few years so if you think not paying for it is an option I hope you have enough resources to cover all the care costs you will have as you get older. It was about £2k a month for my mother's care.

"

The STPs are scary reading

"As it's all political in here I'll add something sensible.

The STPs are scary reading "

Very few people seem to know about them. I have made it a personal mission to tell everyone I can to read the one for their area.

Why we talking about Council tax on a swingers site?

Grantham

"The STPs are scary reading

Very few people seem to know about them. I have made it a personal mission to tell everyone I can to read the one for their area.

"

I know, political ignorance is how many things get through that people don't want.

Grantham

"Why we talking about Council tax on a swingers site? "

Swingers pay council tax

"Why we talking about Council tax on a swingers site? "

Don't look on the Politics Forum then.

Do you not pay council tax?Yes I do, what I meant was, a 5% increase woulnt effect it so much.

I thought your thread was about a "Huge rise in council tax" not 5% "

Yes, because that was the headline on the news.

"Why we talking about Council tax on a swingers site?

Swingers pay council tax "

Of course we do but let's talk about something more fun

Grantham

Do you not pay council tax?Yes I do, what I meant was, a 5% increase woulnt effect it so much.

I thought your thread was about a "Huge rise in council tax" not 5% Yes, because that was the headline on the news."

Oh, the 'news' isn't worth reading

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

"Scrap the trident, save billions of pounds? "

Yeah, and a few years down the line we will be being paid in roubles comrade!

untrue...the US and most european countries are all having the same issues...if most of us give up our jobs,then fine,that would sort out the problem to a certain extent..but then you still have to consider the disabled, children with special needs,those with no relatives..it's not as simple as that!

I agree the disabled and special needs need extra care and I don't mind paying extra tax

If a call is cancelled the company still charges the client if the client dont give the company 24hrs notice

"

no,they are not 'raking 'it in....not for many many years. as for cancelling visits, you will have signed a contract at the start of the care package that clearly explains that,if you don't like it, find one with a different company. The one i work for and others i know of do pay us token amount if a call is cancelled within 24 hrs. As for putting the money back in...i don't know what you mean?...they are companies, not public charities..someone has to be paid for admin,co-ordinating, answering phones, visiting clients to assess their needs before any care is in place, staff training. Are you seriously suggesting a private company should hand over any profit they make to the government? really?...so why should any other companies not do the same? M&S, Virgin?...non-profit business is a wonderful,Utopian idea but it's not going to happen....i'm not for a moment defending the shit pay,zero hours contracts etc at all,but if they are changed for the better, which they should be..then you must also see the cost will go up much much higher as well!

By *r Costa xxMan  over a year ago

stirling

Rebanding in Scotland = 12% rise, oh and we get to fill our bins for 3 weeks before they refuse them for being too feckin heavy, doh!

"Scrap the trident, save billions of pounds? "

And make thousands of people unemployed, pretty much devastate the economy of a Cumbrian town and lose another engineering capacity of Great Britain, sounds like a great plan...

I thought your thread was about a "Huge rise in council tax" not 5% Yes, because that was the headline on the news.

Oh, the 'news' isn't worth reading "

particularly if all you can do is read a headline and fail to grasp the content of the actual article..

"Scrap the trident, save billions of pounds?

Yeah, and a few years down the line we will be being paid in roubles comrade! "

Yes of course, because a weapon that will never be used is such a huge deterrent to Russia...

Yes of course, because a weapon that will never be used is such a huge deterrent to Russia..."

and again!...different pot of money!...whether it's spent on trident or something else, it is not going to be evenly distributed amongst all the local councils to provide social care ,that's for sure!

I thought your thread was about a "Huge rise in council tax" not 5% Yes, because that was the headline on the news.

Oh, the 'news' isn't worth reading "

But interesting

Yes of course, because a weapon that will never be used is such a huge deterrent to Russia...

and again!...different pot of money!...whether it's spent on trident or something else, it is not going to be evenly distributed amongst all the local councils to provide social care ,that's for sure!"

Still a waste of money that could be used elsewhere.

Dont' worry, post-Brexit savings will save the NHS and revive our flailing economy. Oh wait...

"Dont' worry, post-Brexit savings will save the NHS and revive our flailing economy. Oh wait..."

exactly...and i'm very curious to know who,post brexit,will be providing the staff for social care...presumably the companies will have to up their game and pay more...which will cost even more..

"Dont' worry, post-Brexit savings will save the NHS and revive our flailing economy. Oh wait...

exactly...and i'm very curious to know who,post brexit,will be providing the staff for social care...presumably the companies will have to up their game and pay more...which will cost even more.."

We seem to have created our own self-eating monster

"Dont' worry, post-Brexit savings will save the NHS and revive our flailing economy. Oh wait...

exactly...and i'm very curious to know who,post brexit,will be providing the staff for social care...presumably the companies will have to up their game and pay more...which will cost even more..

We seem to have created our own self-eating monster "

haven't we just! but as a poster said earlier,we are a wealthy country,people seem to care more about getting a new I phones than how their elderly and needy are cared for!

By *rincessvenusCouple  over a year ago

Hull

all the people who agree with counciltax rise ane say pay u and shut up you can pay ours if your that keen on it just like to say thanks in advance

"all the people who agree with counciltax rise ane say pay u and shut up you can pay ours if your that keen on it just like to say thanks in advance"

insightful...i'm very envious of those who won't ever need any social care, theyre very lucky!

"all the people who agree with counciltax rise ane say pay u and shut up you can pay ours if your that keen on it just like to say thanks in advance

insightful...i'm very envious of those who won't ever need any social care, theyre very lucky!"

Or any of the services that the local authority provides right now. Free condoms anyone?

"all the people who agree with counciltax rise ane say pay u and shut up you can pay ours if your that keen on it just like to say thanks in advance"

Um, okay, I hope I right in assuming this is tongue in cheek

"all the people who agree with counciltax rise ane say pay u and shut up you can pay ours if your that keen on it just like to say thanks in advance

Um, okay, I hope I right in assuming this is tongue in cheek "

sadly i don't think so...

secret town

no,they are not 'raking 'it in....not for many many years. as for cancelling visits, you will have signed a contract at the start of the care package that clearly explains that,if you don't like it, find one with a different company. The one i work for and others i know of do pay us token amount if a call is cancelled within 24 hrs. As for putting the money back in...i don't know what you mean?...they are companies, not public charities..someone has to be paid for admin,co-ordinating, answering phones, visiting clients to assess their needs before any care is in place, staff training. Are you seriously suggesting a private company should hand over any profit they make to the government? really?...so why should any other companies not do the same? M&S, Virgin?...non-profit business is a wonderful,Utopian idea but it's not going to happen....i'm not for a moment defending the shit pay,zero hours contracts etc at all,but if they are changed for the better, which they should be..then you must also see the cost will go up much much higher as well!"

I dont work for a care company I work for the NHS in a nurse

It's what the carers tell me

And yes they are raking it in

You don't know what goes on at the top

no,they are not 'raking 'it in....not for many many years. as for cancelling visits, you will have signed a contract at the start of the care package that clearly explains that,if you don't like it, find one with a different company. The one i work for and others i know of do pay us token amount if a call is cancelled within 24 hrs. As for putting the money back in...i don't know what you mean?...they are companies, not public charities..someone has to be paid for admin,co-ordinating, answering phones, visiting clients to assess their needs before any care is in place, staff training. Are you seriously suggesting a private company should hand over any profit they make to the government? really?...so why should any other companies not do the same? M&S, Virgin?...non-profit business is a wonderful,Utopian idea but it's not going to happen....i'm not for a moment defending the shit pay,zero hours contracts etc at all,but if they are changed for the better, which they should be..then you must also see the cost will go up much much higher as well!

You don't know what goes on at the top "

Carers should be notified immediately when calls are cancelled otherwise they can claim for attending the call.

Listening to disgruntled employees is not always the best way to gain a true reflection of an industry.

and if the elderly people didn't have any children?

Fucking hell, good job you aren't in power really isn't it.

Um, okay, I hope I right in assuming this is tongue in cheek

sadly i don't think so..."

We'll never know

secret town

Fucking hell, good job you aren't in power really isn't it. "

If I was in power this country be sorted in a week

secret town

Carers should be notified immediately when calls are cancelled otherwise they can claim for attending the call.

Listening to disgruntled employees is not always the best way to gain a true reflection of an industry. "

What about if the carers aren't notified immediately?

Then the carer goes to the call and realise it has been cancelled, that carer dose not get paid

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

iirc councils need to do a referendum to rase them above 2/3%.

So i csnt see there being many 5% reises beibg voted in"

Just for the point of clarit

A) council are allowed to raise council tax by 2%

B) they are allowed to raise it further by another 3% only if all the money goes to social care budget

C) they are allowed to raise it further... but that would need to go to a local referendum... Surrey were going to be the first when they proposed a 15% increase, they called it off last minute and there are allegations that they were given a sweetheart deal by the government to do so since there are lots of high profile Tory MPs there

If I was in power this country be sorted in a week "

Hitler had similar thoughts.

secret town

If I was in power this country be sorted in a week

Hitler had similar thoughts. "

And look what happened there

I will use a different statagery

Listening to disgruntled employees is not always the best way to gain a true reflection of an industry.

Then the carer goes to the call and realise it has been cancelled, that carer dose not get paid "

But they should be notified immediately. Why pay a carer to go to a cancelled call if it's been cancelled? It costs the company money. That carer is usually allocated another call to go to (if another carer goes ill) or they continue their run.

I'm not sure why you are so any care company, given that most hospitals are keen to off load their elderly patients back home before they are really well enough to go home and it is the Care Companies, usually, who go in and find their clients poorly again and they have to be re-admitted.

If i listened to every story about shoddy nursing and Hospitals that are filthy etc then heck i'd never go near one again, but i'm intelligent to know that it goes on a Health Trust by Health Trust basis and not all are the same.

But you carry on slagging off Domicilliary Care if it makes you feel better.

Look after your broom

secret town

Then the carer goes to the call and realise it has been cancelled, that carer dose not get paid

But they should be notified immediately. Why pay a carer to go to a cancelled call if it's been cancelled? It costs the company money. That carer is usually allocated another call to go to (if another carer goes ill) or they continue their run.

I'm not sure why you are so any care company, given that most hospitals are keen to off load their elderly patients back home before they are really well enough to go home and it is the Care Companies, usually, who go in and find their clients poorly again and they have to be re-admitted.

If i listened to every story about shoddy nursing and Hospitals that are filthy etc then heck i'd never go near one again, but i'm intelligent to know that it goes on a Health Trust by Health Trust basis and not all are the same.

But you carry on slagging off Domicilliary Care if it makes you feel better. "

I was a dom carer many many years ago before i became a nurse I know what I'm on about, what carers tell me how nothing has changed

Many a times I went to calls where they were cancelled.

And I wasn't notified.

The carers do great jobs, it's the care companies the fat bosses at the top who i am slagging off

They say they none profit making companies what a load of bolloxs

I was a dom carer many many years ago before i became a nurse I know what I'm on about, what carers tell me how nothing has changed

And I wasn't notified.

The carers do great jobs, it's the care companies the fat bosses at the top who i am slagging off

"

ass you say,you worked for one many many years ago...things have changed dramatically...as the poster in Wales said earlier,these companies are all vying for the same amount of business,they have to compete with each other...there are far far more of these companies now as the need has grown for domicilary care...they are not raking in millions anymore..they make a very tidy profit,but not by any means making milions,im afraid thats rubbish. nowadays carers are expected to do a lot more,ongoing training, that costs money.

as for cancelled calls..these people need to look at their contracts..if its not in their contract then maybe they need to address that,or move to another company...i personally dont know of any around my area that doesnt pay for a short notice cancellation.

secret town

And I wasn't notified.

ass you say,you worked for one many many years ago...things have changed dramatically...as the poster in Wales said earlier,these companies are all vying for the same amount of business,they have to compete with each other...there are far far more of these companies now as the need has grown for domicilary care...they are not raking in millions anymore..they make a very tidy profit,but not by any means making milions,im afraid thats rubbish. nowadays carers are expected to do a lot more,ongoing training, that costs money.

as for cancelled calls..these people need to look at their contracts..if its not in their contract then maybe they need to address that,or move to another company...i personally dont know of any around my area that doesnt pay for a short notice cancellation."

They are still making millions and I don't live in Wales

I already work for the NHS which is much better working conditions and pay

Going back on topic I don't mind paying the 5% tax for social care but it all go on social care though because the fat bosses will get 3% of it

By *ild-1Woman  over a year ago

york

"How about overseas aid?...look after our own first!!!!"

Couldn't have put it better myself!!!

"I agree totally with the above, but I find it so frustrating when I see the amount of money given away to so called developing countries..India for instance..they have a bigger space programme than the U.K...how are they a developing country??..??"

"How about overseas aid?...look after our own first!!!!

Couldn't have put it better myself!!! "

as has been said repeatedly...local council budgets, from your council tax, is not being given to overseas aid initiatives!

it is completely unrelated!

Any increase in tax is unjustified. They'll only spend the money on themselves and extra "CCTV" to take care of the community. Pah!!! Just try avoid paying the council tax and those buggers come down on you like a ton of bricks. Some of these council geezers get a higher salary than the Prime Minister. I say bring back traditional lamp posts and string them all up.

"Any increase in tax is unjustified. They'll only spend the money on themselves and extra "CCTV" to take care of the community. Pah!!! Just try avoid paying the council tax and those buggers come down on you like a ton of bricks. Some of these council geezers get a higher salary than the Prime Minister. I say bring back traditional lamp posts and string them all up."

maybe contact your local council as they are obliged to provide, if asked, a full,clear breakdown of how they spend their/your money..and then work out exactly how you would try and pay for care when and if you need it!

"Any increase in tax is unjustified. They'll only spend the money on themselves and extra "CCTV" to take care of the community. Pah!!! Just try avoid paying the council tax and those buggers come down on you like a ton of bricks. Some of these council geezers get a higher salary than the Prime Minister. I say bring back traditional lamp posts and string them all up.

maybe contact your local council as they are obliged to provide, if asked, a full,clear breakdown of how they spend their/your money..and then work out exactly how you would try and pay for care when and if you need it!"

as has been said repeatedly...local council budgets, from your council tax, is not being given to overseas aid initiatives!

it is completely unrelated!"

Well its not toally unrelated.

The council tax is being raised as the burden of paying for aome things is being moved from the government to the council's to make cuts.

You could argue very easily that more frugal government spending would have meant this was unessecery

The council tax is being raised as the burden of paying for aome things is being moved from the government to the council's to make cuts.

You could argue very easily that more frugal government spending would have meant this was unessecery"

they have gradually moved some things from central govt to local over the last few years...more frugal spending would obviously have made a difference, but that is not what has happened...the reality is that your local council is responsible for it and you will have to pay if you want to avail yourself of the benefits ..the stark fact is that people are living far longer than any previous generation, and either we provide care out of our own pockets one way or another..or we all go the Soylent Green' route!

You could argue very easily that more frugal government spending would have meant this was unessecery

they have gradually moved some things from central govt to local over the last few years...more frugal spending would obviously have made a difference, but that is not what has happened...the reality is that your local council is responsible for it and you will have to pay if you want to avail yourself of the benefits ..the stark fact is that people are living far longer than any previous generation, and either we provide care out of our own pockets one way or another..or we all go the Soylent Green' route!"

We had to pay for it before.

And unless theres been an income tax cut we're now paying for it on top of what we where paying before.

Cou cil tax is one of the most unfair taxes and frabkly we should be moving away from funding from it but moving to central taxation.

For the obvious reason a council with a lot of socil care needs is going to have very high outgoings and very low income.

By *akeyousmile30Man  over a year ago

greenwich

I think HMRC need to clamp down more on tax avoiders!!

There are still to many people not contributing to society.

"I think HMRC need to clamp down more on tax avoiders!!

There are still to many people not contributing to society."

Evaders surely?

Or are you wanting to punish everyone with an ISA?

But unless you're earning over 35k a year you're a net recipient of state money anyway

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

I recently met a lovely elderly couple, they have worked all their lives. The wife suffers from dementia and gets violent at times with the husband, he now can't handle the situation and needs to put her in a care home.

The sad thing is they can't afford to pay for the care, the local government can't give the full amount for her care.

If me paying a bit more means people like this get the help they need, then I really don't mind at all. As one day it could be me needing the help.

"I recently met a lovely elderly couple, they have worked all their lives. The wife suffers from dementia and gets violent at times with the husband, he now can't handle the situation and needs to put her in a care home.

The sad thing is they can't afford to pay for the care, the local government can't give the full amount for her care.

If me paying a bit more means people like this get the help they need, then I really don't mind at all. As one day it could be me needing the help."

Do they not take the outstanding cost of care from the estate after they've died?

The whole problem is us. And partly the NHS because the NHS is too good. It keeps us alive too long with the result that we are regularly living into our 90's and beyond. Which rapidly depletes the money we have paid in during our lives on a forecast of 3 score an 10 years of life.

I know there are more of us around paying into the system but we are living longer off the system after retirement. We used to retire from manual jobs at 65 and be lucky if we lived to 70. 5 years living off the system. Roughly speaking. Now we retire at 65 and live into our 90's. Possibly 30 years off the system.

And to compound it G'ment and Local Councils keeps telling us they can cut waste in G'ment, tax us less and do more. And we believe it. And vote for them.

The same principle applies to pensions of course. Instead of 5 years on the pension pot we have built up its 30 years. We have to accept we need to pay more. Thats another reason G'ment and local councils keep on coming up with sneaky and ingenious ways of dipping their fingers in your wallet without raising income tax.

And why do you think Central G'ment redirected lots of these responsibilities from themselves to local councils? Not so, as they say, its local spending by local people as its appropriate. So when the population complains central G'ment can say "its not our fault, local council provides those services".

» Add a new message to this topic