FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > By Election Day

By Election Day

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ercury OP   Man  over a year ago

Grantham

By Election Day in Copeland and Stoke.

How do we think it's going to turn out; results, turn out, swing etc?

Any actual constituents got any insight?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

A lot of people are going to be very surprised by the results, but no matter what they are. Most, if not all, the main stream media will say it is proof that Labour under JC are undetectable...

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Imagine if the vote in stoke got split so badly between labour, UKIP and the tories that a party like the lib dems or greens got in

Probably less that 1% chance of that happening but it'd be funny.

Grantham

"Imagine if the vote in stoke got split so badly between labour, UKIP and the tories that a party like the lib dems or greens got in

Probably less that 1% chance of that happening but it'd be funny."

In these crazy times, that could well happen.

Many in Copeland who were interviewed, said that "Westminster didn't do anything for them" and it could well be local issues that sway the voters.

"Imagine if the vote in stoke got split so badly between labour, UKIP and the tories that a party like the lib dems or greens got in

Probably less that 1% chance of that happening but it'd be funny.

In these crazy times, that could well happen.

Many in Copeland who were interviewed, said that "Westminster didn't do anything for them" and it could well be local issues that sway the voters."

Agreed. I think once you get out the south east, the backlash in the UK over the last year has been at how the UK does feel like two different worlds in terms of quality of life.

moston

I think turnout may prove to be more important than who wins...

Grantham

"I think turnout may prove to be more important than who wins..."

We agree! It will be interesting to see if the issues ongoing in the UK are enough to drag the voters out.

"I think turnout may prove to be more important than who wins...

We agree! It will be interesting to see if the issues ongoing in the UK are enough to drag the voters out."

problem is its blowing a gale and pissin down in Stoke

By *ackwithabang2000Couple  over a year ago

Stoke

Gale Doris is doing her best here to stop any voting

It's bleeding awful out there

moston

"problem is its blowing a gale and pissin down in Stoke "

It is doing that across the country...

Cue the 'bad weather' excuse if the turnout is significantly down.

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

It was a Newsnight special about the Stoke by election on BBC 2 last night. They had representatives from the main frontrunners in the by election up in front of a small studio audience in Stoke. The Labour woman just kept apologising for Labours past mistakes, the Tory bloke just kept on about London and the 'northern power house' and the 'Midlands engine' meaningless slogans that mean nothing. The only one who talked about the actual issues affecting people in Stoke, more social and council houses being built, the Nhs and jobs for the working class was the deputy leader of UKip Peter Whittle, he knocked it out the park last night on Newsnight for Ukip.

I put £50 on UKIP to win.If they lose i'll still be happy.Win Win.

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

Are you sure its today just watched the bbc main news no mention whatsoever

"Are you sure its today just watched the bbc main news no mention whatsoever "

Storm Doris blowing out all the political oxygen and fire :P

"I think turnout may prove to be more important than who wins...

We agree! It will be interesting to see if the issues ongoing in the UK are enough to drag the voters out."

True, I was chatting to my dad about it the other night, he thinks that up until a month ago it was a pretty strong chance that UKIP would have edged it or comfortably taken it.

But he openly says that labour policy is always centred around looking after the majority, and somewhere like stoke needs the NHS - which is seen as labour's strong point, whilst when you look at the meat on the bones of UKIP and their vested interests- and their right-wing core voters and party donors, it's hard to see where they'd actually put their regional power.

Basically if either party wins the seat, he thinks it'l be narrow, I'm not certain, Stoke was Brexit central so UKIP could capitalise on that, but old voting traditions are hard to break, so labour could hold it.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Are you sure its today just watched the bbc main news no mention whatsoever "

That is because they are not allowed to....

Between midnight and ballot closing time time they are not allowed to mention anything that could be perceived as campaigning

"Are you sure its today just watched the bbc main news no mention whatsoever

That is because they are not allowed to....

Between midnight and ballot closing time time they are not allowed to mention anything that could be perceived as campaigning "

Yep its called purdah.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"I put £50 on UKIP to win.If they lose i'll still be happy.Win Win. "

That is the way to do it I always bet on the things I don't what to happen. Kind of eases the pain when it does.

"I put £50 on UKIP to win.If they lose i'll still be happy.Win Win.

That is the way to do it I always bet on the things I don't what to happen. Kind of eases the pain when it does. "

i bet on trump to win. .

"I put £50 on UKIP to win.If they lose i'll still be happy.Win Win.

That is the way to do it I always bet on the things I don't what to happen. Kind of eases the pain when it does. i bet on trump to win. ."

I wish I'd put money on Brexit and Trump, saw them happening a mile off.

By *et-shortyMan  over a year ago

Manchester

If I was a gambler I'd stick money on Ukip winning by a canter

I think Nuttall has blown it , I think labour will hang on as the conservatives will pick up more votes than expected .

I think the conservatives will win Copeland

"I think Nuttall has blown it , I think labour will hang on as the conservatives will pick up more votes than expected .

I think the conservatives will win Copeland"

That's interesting - do you think Mrs May's hard brexit position would allow her to steal some UKIP votes in Stoke?

If I was look for a 100% Brexit, at this point I'd go Tory, they are walking the right way and have more political experience.

Cannock

"I think Nuttall has blown it , I think labour will hang on as the conservatives will pick up more votes than expected .

That's interesting - do you think Mrs May's hard brexit position would allow her to steal some UKIP votes in Stoke?

If I was look for a 100% Brexit, at this point I'd go Tory, they are walking the right way and have more political experience."

Stoke central has been a traditional Labour stronghold since the 1950's (that's how long they've had a Labour MP). Many people there won't vote Tory out of principle so if anyone is going to pick up Labour votes over Brexit I'd say it will be Ukip. Labour had a 20,000 majority in this seat 20 years ago and vote share has been shrinking for them since then. Last general election it was just a 5,000 majority over Ukip who finished 2nd there.

If I was look for a 100% Brexit, at this point I'd go Tory, they are walking the right way and have more political experience.

Stoke central has been a traditional Labour stronghold since the 1950's (that's how long they've had a Labour MP). Many people there won't vote Tory out of principle so if anyone is going to pick up Labour votes over Brexit I'd say it will be Ukip. Labour had a 20,000 majority in this seat 20 years ago and vote share has been shrinking for them since then. Last general election it was just a 5,000 majority over Ukip who finished 2nd there. "

I see where you are coming from, but don't you think anyone who is casting their vote on brexit mainly, is going to be looking at who can set up and prepare the best post-brexit britain.

Kind of like cost benefit analysis. UKIP are all about 100% brexit, but only have 1 MP and visibly, very little long term management of foreign and domestic policy.

Tories seem to be 100% committed, but have done some shoddy things in the past, but atleast have the experience.

I could be completely wrong, but isn't there a chance that any die hard labour brexiteer might chance the tories over UKIP?

Cannock

Stoke central has been a traditional Labour stronghold since the 1950's (that's how long they've had a Labour MP). Many people there won't vote Tory out of principle so if anyone is going to pick up Labour votes over Brexit I'd say it will be Ukip. Labour had a 20,000 majority in this seat 20 years ago and vote share has been shrinking for them since then. Last general election it was just a 5,000 majority over Ukip who finished 2nd there.

I see where you are coming from, but don't you think anyone who is casting their vote on brexit mainly, is going to be looking at who can set up and prepare the best post-brexit britain.

Kind of like cost benefit analysis. UKIP are all about 100% brexit, but only have 1 MP and visibly, very little long term management of foreign and domestic policy.

Tories seem to be 100% committed, but have done some shoddy things in the past, but atleast have the experience.

I could be completely wrong, but isn't there a chance that any die hard labour brexiteer might chance the tories over UKIP?"

I'd say it will send a much stronger message to Teresa May and the government over Brexit if Paul Nuttall is elected for Ukip. It's been 8 months since the referendum vote and they still haven't triggered article 50 yet? In terms of any future votes in Parliament to come about Brexit then the voters know 100% Ukip MP's will get behind the government to help with Teresa May's majority.

If I was look for a 100% Brexit, at this point I'd go Tory, they are walking the right way and have more political experience."

Yes I think that will happen I think they will be a close third splitting the vote so labour will survive

I could be completely wrong, but isn't there a chance that any die hard labour brexiteer might chance the tories over UKIP?

I'd say it will send a much stronger message to Teresa May and the government over Brexit if Paul Nuttall is elected for Ukip. It's been 8 months since the referendum vote and they still haven't triggered article 50 yet? In terms of any future votes in Parliament to come about Brexit then the voters know 100% Ukip MP's will get behind the government to help with Teresa May's majority. "

Yeah I get that. But he'll be running to be an MP he has to be strong on more than just being about brexit.

He has to show logistical tact and talent. And where can he demonstrate that? In terms of contributing to city planning and policies?

Yes I think that will happen I think they will be a close third splitting the vote so labour will survive "

Plot twist. The majority arent happy with die hard brexit or labours leadership and protest vote green and then they get in :P that would be problematic. :P

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

Yes I think that will happen I think they will be a close third splitting the vote so labour will survive

Plot twist. The majority arent happy with die hard brexit or labours leadership and protest vote green and then they get in :P that would be problematic. :P"

I'm not a green, but that would warm the cockles of my heart.

Plot twist. The majority arent happy with die hard brexit or labours leadership and protest vote green and then they get in :P that would be problematic. :P

I'm not a green, but that would warm the cockles of my heart. "

Imagine their confusion at ending up with the most pro-eu party after the lib dems and possibly SNP.

Maybe manufacturing could be brought back to stoke in the form of mass wind turbine and tidal turbine production. All made of ceramics obvs. :P

Cannock

Imagine their confusion at ending up with the most pro-eu party after the lib dems and possibly SNP.

Maybe manufacturing could be brought back to stoke in the form of mass wind turbine and tidal turbine production. All made of ceramics obvs. :P"

Have you seen the Green party candidate in Stoke?

He was on the BBC Sunday politics Midlands edition programme wearing a suit about 5 times too big for him, LMAO.

I've seen him on a few other programmes since and his clothes are always miles too big for him, maybe he buys them from the climate change charity shop? When the winner is announced tonight in Stoke look for the tiny head in the massive suit, that's the Green guy.

Newbury

Maybe manufacturing could be brought back to stoke in the form of mass wind turbine and tidal turbine production. All made of ceramics obvs. :P

He was on the BBC Sunday politics Midlands edition programme wearing a suit about 5 times too big for him, LMAO.

I've seen him on a few other programmes since and his clothes are always miles too big for him, maybe he buys them from the climate change charity shop? When the winner is announced tonight in Stoke look for the tiny head in the massive suit, that's the Green guy. "

Again, see; Paul Nuttall.People in glass houses.......

I've seen him on a few other programmes since and his clothes are always miles too big for him, maybe he buys them from the climate change charity shop? When the winner is announced tonight in Stoke look for the tiny head in the massive suit, that's the Green guy. "

Does it matter where he got his suit from?

I got a Next blazer from a charity shop in Leeds, fits fine and looks great.

I wish him all the best, like all candidates.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

Good to see what you find important in a candidate

Cannock

I've seen him on a few other programmes since and his clothes are always miles too big for him, maybe he buys them from the climate change charity shop? When the winner is announced tonight in Stoke look for the tiny head in the massive suit, that's the Green guy.

Good to see what you find important in a candidate"

Lol, were you one of the people who called for the goal keeper who ate a pie on telly to be sacked the other day, obviously you've had a sense of humour by-pass.

Kent

Good to see what you find important in a candidate

Lol, were you one of the people who called for the goal keeper who ate a pie on telly to be sacked the other day, obviously you've had a sense of humour by-pass. "

The sort of point and laugh 'humour' that should be expected of a ukiper I suppose

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Snell won.

By *anes HubbyCouple  over a year ago

Babbacombe Torquay

Tumble.........

Kent

"Nuttall will win, put money on it. It's too much of a Labour stronghold for the Tories to get in but the people have had enough of Labour and especially no mark rich boy career politicians like Hunt. My constituency is Stoke North and has always been Labour while I have always voted Tory which has been a wasted vote really, so next time it will be UKIP for me just to try and get Labour out"

and our survey says...

Babbacombe Torquay

Talking Heads got it right when they wrote that great song that describes UKIP perfectly......

'Road to nowhere'

Cannock

"Tumble........."

Lol, there were 2 by elections tonight, maybe wait for both results to come in before you post, eh.

The Tories just took the Copeland seat from Labour.

Ruling governments should not be taking seats from the opposition in by elections, but that's what just happened to the Clowns in Labour. Teresa May now has an extra seat for her Brexit majority in Parliament.

As for Stoke the locals have a saying there "if Labour put a donkey up for election here, it would still win" and the people of Stoke certainty voted for an ass tonight.

Blimey.

Cannock

"Talking Heads got it right when they wrote that great song that describes UKIP perfectly......

'Road to nowhere'"

It's Labour who are on the road to nowhere. It's no change for ukip from the 2 by elections....

Ukip = won none, lost none.

No change

Labour = held one, lost one

Conservative = lost none, won one.

It's clear from that the only losers tonight are Labour.

Kent

"

As for Stoke the locals have a saying there "if Labour put a donkey up for election here, it would still win" and the people of Stoke certainty voted for an ass tonight. "

...and rejected a bullshitter

Kent

"It's no change for ukip from the 2 by elections...."

You're right about that, stiiiiiiiiiiiiiill can't win a seat

Cannock

"It's no change for ukip from the 2 by elections....

You're right about that, stiiiiiiiiiiiiiill can't win a seat"

Extra seat for Teresa May's Brexit majority in the Commons, and Labour a seat down. Great result as far as I'm concerned.

Kent

Extra seat for Teresa May's Brexit majority in the Commons, and Labour a seat down. Great result as far as I'm concerned. "

Your party put up two candidates, neither of whom won, and you consider that a great result?

Yes I think that will happen I think they will be a close third splitting the vote so labour will survive "

Don't usually quote myself lol but wish I'd put a bet on my prediction now

Cannock

Extra seat for Teresa May's Brexit majority in the Commons, and Labour a seat down. Great result as far as I'm concerned.

Your party put up two candidates, neither of whom won, and you consider that a great result? "

Yeah, it's great for Brexit. Even Labour's Gareth Snell is on the hook for Brexit now he said as part of his campaign if he was elected he would support Brexit to reflect the 70% Leave vote in Stoke. If he goes back on his word he will certainly lose his seat in 2020 at the general election.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

So Labour held off a UKIP challenge for a seat that voted 70% in favour of Brexit and the UKIP candidate was the leader of UKIP. Bear in mind that Labour are in a complete shambles with the worst Leader in decades and no realistic hope of ever forming a Govt.

What does this say about UKIP? This should have been an absolute shoe-in for any UKIP candidate yet the best they could offer lost to a Labour candidate who was probably the worst that Labour could offer up.

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

Your party put up two candidates, neither of whom won, and you consider that a great result?

Yeah, it's great for Brexit. Even Labour's Gareth Snell is on the hook for Brexit now he said as part of his campaign if he was elected he would support Brexit to reflect the 70% Leave vote in Stoke. If he goes back on his word he will certainly lose his seat in 2020 at the general election. "

It makes f all difference to Brexit....there was a huge majority in the Commons for triggering A50. The most significant thing was the rejection of a compulsive liar in Stoke. Still only 1 UKIP MP and he's semi detached at best. Brexit capital of the Uk and you still cant elect a UKIP MP? Pathetic

Essex

"So Labour held off a UKIP challenge for a seat that voted 70% in favour of Brexit and the UKIP candidate was the leader of UKIP. Bear in mind that Labour are in a complete shambles with the worst Leader in decades and no realistic hope of ever forming a Govt.

What does this say about UKIP? This should have been an absolute shoe-in for any UKIP candidate yet the best they could offer lost to a Labour candidate who was probably the worst that Labour could offer up.

"

St Nigel of Farage told the UKIP spring gathering that winning Stoke was fundamental to the future of the party....yup, it's f^cked

moston

People are strange...

Copeland turnout 51% elect a Tory with 44.2% of vote, that means less than 22.72% of the population got to choose the MP. Not what I would call a legitimate mandate.

Of course the really strange thing is their new MP is from the party that has just announced it is closing Whitehaven A&E and maternity units this year meaning the constituents will have to travel Carlisle for emergency treatment.

Then there is Stoke, Labour hold (note I do not say win) with 37% of the vote with a 38% turnout. That is 14% of the population!

No one one anything yesterday, we all lost. We are watching our democracy fall apart (and with it our freedoms), and for the most part either turning our back on the things our ancestors fought and died to secure for us or cheering on there destruction!

We need electoral reform!

We need it to be a criminal offence not to vote!

We need automatic heavy fines for a first offence and prison for repeat offenders!

And we need a box on all ballots where a none of the above vote can be registered!

Grantham

That was a huge "shot myself in the foot" for UKIP in Stoke. Why oh why didn't they put up the man who ran Labour a close second in the GE?

Nuttall was rejected as a lying outsider, who was just a walking liability.

Well done to both winning candidates.

Cannock

"That was a huge "shot myself in the foot" for UKIP in Stoke. Why oh why didn't they put up the man who ran Labour a close second in the GE?

Well done to both winning candidates. "

Ukip increased their vote share in Stoke from the general election, Labour's vote share went down. Labour had a 5,000 majority in Stoke at the general election only a 2,500 majority last night.

"That was a huge "shot myself in the foot" for UKIP in Stoke. Why oh why didn't they put up the man who ran Labour a close second in the GE?

Well done to both winning candidates.

Ukip increased their vote share in Stoke from the general election, Labour's vote share went down. Labour had a 5,000 majority in Stoke at the general election only a 2,500 majority last night. "

if you can't win in Stoke where are you gonna win ?

People of Stoke rejected Nutall due to his credibility. A flawed candidate by a flawed party!

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Your party put up two candidates, neither of whom won, and you consider that a great result? "

This..

Centaur you seem confused, are you a kipper or a tory or is your politics simply that of anyone but labour?

All this result does is further confirm that even in a constituency where they had massive support for the Brexit they are not seen as a viable alternative to either of the 2 main parties..

They have a proven liar who can't even be arsed to learn about where he wanted to be an MP and they saw him for what he is..

As _oo hot rightly says Labour are in disarray and should have been easy to roll over but ukip are becoming insignificant more and more..

moston

"Ukip increased their vote share in Stoke from the general election, Labour's vote share went down. Labour had a 5,000 majority in Stoke at the general election only a 2,500 majority last night. "

About 13% of the total population voted for UKIP!

Over 60% of the population didn't vote at all!

And you seem to think that somehow UKIP did well?

NOBODY DID WELL!

In fact only a totally deluded political fantasist would even attempt to claim any sort of victory! And just to be clear yesterday UKIP managed to poll 5233 vote, while in 2015 they polled 7041 votes. So you are claiming a win by loosing 1808 votes!

All any party was able to do was turn out its most die-hard core vote, and there is nothing surprising in finding that in a predominantly working class area with a few affluent pockets that the political hard core is pretty evenly spread.

This was a golden opportunity with labour on the ropes.So if you cant beat labour at their lowest there is no hope fot the kippers.I think you ukip are finished if the leader cant win.They are unelectable.

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

"

Vote against stopping the ivory trade - get support from Centaur

Lie about being a professional footballer - get support from Centaur

Lie about losing friends in a major tragedy - get support from Centaur

Lie about your educational qualifications - get support from Centaur

Lie about where you live - get support from Centaur

Lie about being on a charitable board - get support from Centaur

Take no disciplinary action against your member after urinating on a constituent's fence and then trying to force their way into their house - get support from Centaur

Be the 5th worst at your job out of 750 colleagues - get support from Centaur

Wear a bad suit - No support from Centaur, obviously they are not fit to hold public office.

It really shows a lot about your priorities.

Newbury

"This was a golden opportunity with labour on the ropes.So if you cant beat labour at their lowest there is no hope fot the kippers.I think you ukip are finished if the leader cant win.They are unelectable. "

I'd agree- UKIP is over.

so the nuttzi party have had their terminal failure as predicted and rightly so with the shit that their scummy leader was spewing for the last few weeks.

moston

"Wear a bad suit - No support from Centaur, obviously they are not fit to hold public office."

Well it's not exactly original, is it? I seem to recall one ex MP and PM saying something very similar to JC shortly before resigning as PM shortly before resigning as an MP...

What was his name?...

Ah yes!

It was "call me Dave"'I fuck dead pigs' and get so pissed Sunday lunch down the local I leave my 8 year old daughter in a pub caMoron.

"This was a golden opportunity with labour on the ropes.So if you cant beat labour at their lowest there is no hope fot the kippers.I think you ukip are finished if the leader cant win.They are unelectable.

I'd agree- UKIP is over."

Everything says they are at the very least in their death throws. I mean this was their chance to get one seat...maybe two with relative ease.

They will continue to survive, but only through aaron banks keeping them pumped with money and only through protest votes and their diehard supporters.

The only way for them to become relevant again is to do what they failed to do over the last 9 months nearly. Re-brand. And I have my doubts.

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

They are over. I mean, even if you support them, they are a single topic party, to get UK out of the EU. That is it. They don't have any actual policies. So now the UK is coming out of the EU they are irrelevant. You can view it as they have 'won' their cause, or 'lost' their relevance either way.

-Matt

Cannock

"

Take no disciplinary action against your member after urinating on a constituent's fence and then trying to force their way into their house - get support from Centaur

Wear a bad suit - No support from Centaur, obviously they are not fit to hold public office.

It really shows a lot about your priorities. "

The Green party candidate got 500 votes, so as I said yes he is something of a joke candidate.

"They are over. I mean, even if you support them, they are a single topic party, to get UK out of the EU. That is it. They don't have any actual policies. So now the UK is coming out of the EU they are irrelevant. You can view it as they have 'won' their cause, or 'lost' their relevance either way.

-Matt"

True. Being the 'patriotic voice of the work class' is hardly a brand.

"

It really shows a lot about your priorities.

The Green party candidate got 500 votes, so as I said yes he is something of a joke candidate. "

Not really. A work class manufacturing town, very little green belt. Pro-brexit town, high unemployment.

The fact the greens actually get enough support to put a candidate in a town where the policies wont be popular, is impressive.

Cannock

Sounds like an awful lot of sour grapes on here today that Labour lost Copeland.

By *ittleAcornMan  over a year ago

"Sounds like an awful lot of sour grapes on here today that Labour lost Copeland. "

That is a shocking result, and hopefully the Labour party will start to take notice.

However, I can balance that disappointment in my head with the comfort that UKIP are definitely on the way out now...

"Sounds like an awful lot of sour grapes on here today that Labour lost Copeland. "

I knew it'd happen. I am dissapoint as its fairly predictable what will happen in copeland now.

Do mistake disappointment for bitterness. They might be the same for a kipper, but not for most rational people.

On another note, i'm proud to see that a weak labour party, with marmite leadership, divided politicans, and an awkward position due to brexit, can still see off the UKIP leader with every advantage.

"Sounds like an awful lot of sour grapes on here today that Labour lost Copeland.

I knew it'd happen. I am dissapoint as its fairly predictable what will happen in copeland now.

Do mistake disappointment for bitterness. They might be the same for a kipper, but not for most rational people.

On another note, i'm proud to see that a weak labour party, with marmite leadership, divided politicans, and an awkward position due to brexit, can still see off the UKIP leader with every advantage."

I don't think Corbyn is as Marmite as the media thinks. Given a list of his proposed policies and his views, without saying they come from him, he get's a lot of positive ticks.

I think he has simply been demonized from day one, and has not had the support of the parliamentary party, who have effectively been cutting their own throats!

Oh, well, let's see what happens next...

Babbacombe Torquay

In Farage's own words......"Stoke is the Brexit capital of the United Kingdom", yet Nuttal couldn't win a seat where the vast majority voted to leave the EU, even though the labour candidate refused to deny during the run up to the by-election that he was a Remainer.....

What a joke UKIP is, and what a strange town Stoke appears to be......I'm off to bed now, laughing as I make my way.

"Sounds like an awful lot of sour grapes on here today that Labour lost Copeland.

On another note, i'm proud to see that a weak labour party, with marmite leadership, divided politicans, and an awkward position due to brexit, can still see off the UKIP leader with every advantage.

I don't think Corbyn is as Marmite as the media thinks. Given a list of his proposed policies and his views, without saying they come from him, he get's a lot of positive ticks.

I think he has simply been demonized from day one, and has not had the support of the parliamentary party, who have effectively been cutting their own throats!

Oh, well, let's see what happens next..."

I can see your point. I think thats a part of it. I think another issue is how he gets his policies in public eye, from his mouth. He's good with younger people, lits of people want his rallies and talks on facebook and twitter and youtube. But through the BBC and other media sources they don't seem to get much in depth coverage till something goes wrong and is cotrovertial.

That said, its not all about the media.

in Lancashire

Sounds like your usual deflection tactic to avoid the state of ukip and their Billy liar leader

in Lancashire

It's pretty much accepted by many on the left via labour are in a mess yes..

So what does that say about ukip and Nuttall in Stoke that the electorate said no to them?

That's the issue but as usual you don't want to engage in the reality of your party..

Hey ho same old same old..

Cannock

Sounds like your usual deflection tactic to avoid the state of ukip and their Billy liar leader "

Like some of the Loony Labour deflection tactics of only talking about Stoke and ignoring the Copeland result and avoiding the state of Labour and their clueless leader Corbyn.

Cannock

So what does that say about ukip and Nuttall in Stoke that the electorate said no to them?

That's the issue but as usual you don't want to engage in the reality of your party..

Hey ho same old same old.. "

I've commented several times about Stoke in this thread. It was a bad night for Labour. They lost some of their vote share in Stoke it was 39% at the general election they only got 37% vote share in Stoke last night. The Labour majority in Stoke cut from 5,000 in the general election to just a 2,500 majority last night. Add to this losing the seat in Copeland, it's clear Labour are a party in decline under clueless Corbyn's leadership.

Sounds like your usual deflection tactic to avoid the state of ukip and their Billy liar leader

Like some of the Loony Labour deflection tactics of only talking about Stoke and ignoring the Copeland result and avoiding the state of Labour and their clueless leader Corbyn. "

Most of us have addressed it or acknowledged that things could have gone better. Other's presumably have had their views highlighted by prior comments. There is no point of creating a yes man echo chamber.

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

As a usual Labour voter, I can readily admit that Labour are struggling and that Corbyn is not doing a great job.

Can UKIP voters also admit that their leader is not up to it and that losing in Stoke was very poor for them?

in Lancashire

I've commented several times about Stoke in this thread. It was a bad night for Labour. They lost some of their vote share in Stoke it was 39% at the general election they only got 37% vote share in Stoke last night. The Labour majority in Stoke cut from 5,000 in the general election to just a 2,500 majority last night. Add to this losing the seat in Copeland, it's clear Labour are a party in decline under clueless Corbyn's leadership. "

its clear to everyone that Labour have been and will be not electable to Government under Corbyn..

you are desperate to avoid debating on ukip and Nuttall, why is that..?

Newbury

I've commented several times about Stoke in this thread. It was a bad night for Labour. They lost some of their vote share in Stoke it was 39% at the general election they only got 37% vote share in Stoke last night. The Labour majority in Stoke cut from 5,000 in the general election to just a 2,500 majority last night. Add to this losing the seat in Copeland, it's clear Labour are a party in decline under clueless Corbyn's leadership. "

But it was a much, much worse night for UKIP, who are much more unelectable than "unelectable Labour it seems.

in Lancashire

"As a usual Labour voter, I can readily admit that Labour are struggling and that Corbyn is not doing a great job.

Can UKIP voters also admit that their leader is not up to it and that losing in Stoke was very poor for them? "

not on here it appears..

objectivity is not part of the psyche of some of those with an ideology it seems..

Quite an interesting article on Left Foot Forward this morning. On the distortion Brexit has had on politics.

However, it will be "done" (if only) by the next election, so other issues will come back to the fore.

"As a usual Labour voter, I can readily admit that Labour are struggling and that Corbyn is not doing a great job.

Can UKIP voters also admit that their leader is not up to it and that losing in Stoke was very poor for them?

not on here it appears..

objectivity is not part of the psyche of some of those with an ideology it seems.."

Narcissistic sociopaths admit nothing.

Cambridge

Sounds like your usual deflection tactic to avoid the state of ukip and their Billy liar leader "

How long do you think Nuttal is going to carry on "living" in Stoke?

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

And a bad night for ukip.... after all, didn't you say they would win in stoke?

As someone else said... if you can't win in stoke where are you going to win?

This was your perfect storm and your leader blew it by being incompetent

If fact I think it could be argued that ukip stopped the tories from winning... let that sink in and grate

in Lancashire

How long do you think Nuttal is going to carry on "living" in Stoke? "

not for long at all..

may be more beneficial to their finances to buy a mobile home..

"

may be more beneficial to their finances to buy a mobile home.."

Lol

Ideal for UKIP members and supporters.

Trailer park trash.

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

not for long at all..

may be more beneficial to their finances to buy a mobile home.."

They could convert a bus to live in... there is a nicely decorated one hanging about somewhere with lots of good slogans and ideas on it

-Matt

in Lancashire

not for long at all..

may be more beneficial to their finances to buy a mobile home..

They could convert a bus to live in... there is a nicely decorated one hanging about somewhere with lots of good slogans and ideas on it

-Matt"

Could replace those with Paul Nuttall working for you in .......

Just keep changing the place...

Cannock

How long do you think Nuttal is going to carry on "living" in Stoke? "

It's highly likely the Stoke central constituency won't even exist at the next general election in 2020 after the government's proposed boundary changes.

By *an_WoodMan  over a year ago

Stafford

Tunstall Paul you fuckwit !

Cambridge

It's highly likely the Stoke central constituency won't even exist at the next general election in 2020 after the government's proposed boundary changes. "

What has that got to do with the question I asked? Nothing.

Is Nuttall going to continue to live in Stoke?

Cannock

It's highly likely the Stoke central constituency won't even exist at the next general election in 2020 after the government's proposed boundary changes.

Is Nuttall going to continue to live in Stoke? "

FFS, it has everything to do with the question you asked. If the constituency of Stoke central is to be abolished under the coming constituency boundary changes then there won't be a Stoke central constituency to fight for at the next general election. Little point in Paul Nuttall or any other candidate keeping a house there in those circumstances.

I'm not second guessing what Paul Nuttall will do though he may wish to continue to live there if he wishes to fight for a new Stoke constituency seat after the boundary changes come into force or he may decide to go to contest a different seat because boundary changes mean the Stoke central seat will no longer exist.

Kent

FFS, it has everything to do with the question you asked. If the constituency of Stoke central is to be abolished under the coming constituency boundary changes then there won't be a Stoke central constituency to fight for at the next general election. Little point in Paul Nuttall or any other candidate keeping a house there in those circumstances.

I'm not second guessing what Paul Nuttall will do though he may wish to continue to live there if he wishes to fight for a new Stoke constituency seat after the boundary changes come into force or he may decide to go to contest a different seat because boundary changes mean the Stoke central seat will no longer exist. "

He could try getting elected in Bootle again...again...again, is it 3 or 4 times he's stood and been rejected by the voters?

Essex

I'm not second guessing what Paul Nuttall will do though he may wish to continue to live there if he wishes to fight for a new Stoke constituency seat after the boundary changes come into force or he may decide to go to contest a different seat because boundary changes mean the Stoke central seat will no longer exist.

He could try getting elected in Bootle again...again...again, is it 3 or 4 times he's stood and been rejected by the voters?"

He's failed 3 times in Bootle, once in Oldham and now in Stoke. At least he's consistent in his ability to fail to be elected to Westminster. At this rate he'll have failed as often as Farage within a couple of years. I think itd be fair to describe him as a loser

Cannock

He could try getting elected in Bootle again...again...again, is it 3 or 4 times he's stood and been rejected by the voters?"

He's been elected as a ukip MEP.

Kent

He could try getting elected in Bootle again...again...again, is it 3 or 4 times he's stood and been rejected by the voters?

He's failed 3 times in Bootle, once in Oldham and now in Stoke. At least he's consistent in his ability to fail to be elected to Westminster. At this rate he'll have failed as often as Farage within a couple of years. I think itd be fair to describe him as a loser "

At some point you'd think the penny would drop

Essex

He's failed 3 times in Bootle, once in Oldham and now in Stoke. At least he's consistent in his ability to fail to be elected to Westminster. At this rate he'll have failed as often as Farage within a couple of years. I think itd be fair to describe him as a loser

At some point you'd think the penny would drop"

He's too fucking dim to work out that he has no chance of ever being an MP. If he can't win in Stoke he can't win anywhere

in Lancashire

It's highly likely the Stoke central constituency won't even exist at the next general election in 2020 after the government's proposed boundary changes. "

Just another example of piss poor strategy from the kippers then, Nuttall should have gone to Copeland ..

Cambridge

"

He's been elected as a ukip MEP. "

But that was a completely different electoral system wasn't it? With FPTP for Westminster, you vote for an individual. But if I remember correctly in European Parliament elections its what's called a closed party list. The parties draw up a list of their candidates ranked in order of preference, so for example Farage at one and Nuttall at 2 etc. If UKIP then win one seat, Farage gets it, if UKIP win two seats then Farage and Nuttal get one each etc. So in elections for MEPs I think I'm right in saying that you can't vote for an individual, you can only vote for a party. If that's the case, then Nuttal has never been elected where someone specifically voted for him as an individual, instead they have just voted for a party, and that party happened to put him close enough to the top of the list.

Has Nuttal therefore lost every time he ran for public office, when people are asked to chose him as an individual, rather than just a party?

Cambridge

I'm not second guessing what Paul Nuttall will do though he may wish to continue to live there if he wishes to fight for a new Stoke constituency seat after the boundary changes come into force or he may decide to go to contest a different seat because boundary changes mean the Stoke central seat will no longer exist. "

No, the question I'm asking is did he move to Stoke because he actually wants to live there, or did he move there for purely political reasons that he though it would look better if he had a Stoke address?

I'm surprised know one has focused on the Conservstives in this By Election , as I predicted , they caused the result by thier strong showing . Labour had a lucky escape !

UKIP would have won if it hadn't been for Nuttall's Fibs !

Come on ? Have a website and don't check it ?

I wouldn't have voted for him just for that !

Never thought I'd ever say it but st the moment if thier was a general election , barring a non racist E N P or a Mr Suit Party I would vote Conservative , with a heavy heart

moston

"I'm surprised know one has focused on the Conservstives in this By Election , as I predicted , they caused the result by thier strong showing . "

FFS! Are you really that deluded?

NO ONE HAD A STRONG SHOWING!

The turnout in Stoke was 38.2%...

The turnout in Copeland was 51.35%...

More than 6 in 10 refused to vote in Stoke and barely half those in Copeland voted!

No one can claim anything, and only a fool would be gloating when more than half the population thought that none of what was on offer was worth the effort of walking to the local polling station and putting an X on a ballot for!

"I'm surprised know one has focused on the Conservstives in this By Election , as I predicted , they caused the result by thier strong showing .

FFS! Are you really that deluded?

NO ONE HAD A STRONG SHOWING!

The turnout in Stoke was 38.2%...

The turnout in Copeland was 51.35%...

More than 6 in 10 refused to vote in Stoke and barely half those in Copeland voted!

No one can claim anything, and only a fool would be gloating when more than half the population thought that none of what was on offer was worth the effort of walking to the local polling station and putting an X on a ballot for!"

I had you as sensible ! If your gonna be offensive please don't reply to my posts !

It's meant to be fun !

moston

"I had you as sensible ! If your gonna be offensive please don't reply to my posts !

It's meant to be fun ! "

But it is not! Your post helps give substance to all those who are looking to 'find positives'!

The only message that anyone should be sending to anyone is barely 50% of the population in 1 constituency voted and over 60% refused to vote in the other one!

Now not coming from either place I don't know how much targeted voter suppression was used to influence the result. But I do know that it is not healthy when 14% of the population gets to pick who will be an MP!

"I had you as sensible ! If your gonna be offensive please don't reply to my posts !

It's meant to be fun !

But it is not! Your post helps give substance to all those who are looking to 'find positives'!

The only message that anyone should be sending to anyone is barely 50% of the population in 1 constituency voted and over 60% refused to vote in the other one!

Now not coming from either place I don't know how much targeted voter suppression was used to influence the result. But I do know that it is not healthy when 14% of the population gets to pick who will be an MP!"

I do agree with that comment !

Maybe I was been a little too sensitive

moston

"I do agree with that comment !

Maybe I was been a little too sensitive "

Thanks, it is good when others understand what I am saying and agree.

I have been told from an early age I am way too serious where politics are concerned, so I understand how my reaction to your joke could cause offence, and for that I apologise. It is nice nice when common ground is found.

» Add a new message to this topic