FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > There have to be an opposition.

There have to be an opposition.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

There have to be an opposition in order to have a healthy country that challenges views and can improve. I heard on the radio that we might not have one for 3 decades and it will be like scotland with one party, what is your view, is it good with an opposition?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Opposition provides the checks and balances that stops us living in a totalitarian state. Government will push as much of its ideology as it can get away with and an effective opposition helps to hold some of the extremes being implemented.

"Opposition provides the checks and balances that stops us living in a totalitarian state. Government will push as much of its ideology as it can get away with and an effective opposition helps to hold some of the extremes being implemented.

"

By *leasure domMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

You only have to look back a few years to an example which serves as a warning - three terms of new labour in power, with an opposition in disarray.

Terrible times for democratic accountability, integrity in parliament and the rights of the citizen.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Opposition provides the checks and balances that stops us living in a totalitarian state. Government will push as much of its ideology as it can get away with and an effective opposition helps to hold some of the extremes being implemented.

"

Agree. Shame that at the moment there is no effective opposition.

Good points everyone

What is an effective opposition? How do you measure that?

"There have to be an opposition in order to have a healthy country that challenges views and can improve. I heard on the radio that we might not have one for 3 decades and it will be like scotland with one party, what is your view, is it good with an opposition?"

I'm sorry but Scotland doesn't have just one party. Currently, in the Scottish parliament, the SNP run a minority government supported by the Greens with a decent representation by the Torries and Labour.

The fact that the vast majority of Scottish MPs at Westminster are SNP is a sign of the contempt that the mainstream parties are held in in Scotland.

By *ubble troubleCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

Here in Manchester we effectively have a "one party state" with only a single councillor not part of the local Labour party machine. It's not healthy, it leads to a massive risk of corruption through patronage.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

You need an opposition that makes the MPs in power at least slightly concerned about keeping their seats.

That's what forces compromise.

The Tory party will start being its own opposition. Backbenchers nervous about business rate rises. They'll probably implode over Europe again considering most Brexiteers have got addicted to be angry

"There have to be an opposition in order to have a healthy country that challenges views and can improve. I heard on the radio that we might not have one for 3 decades and it will be like scotland with one party, what is your view, is it good with an opposition?"

Without an opposition, there'd be nobody to make the sheep noises for a start...

Now is the perfect time for an opposition to come in

I'm all for having a 'Queens official opposition' but not one who opposes everything simply for the purpose of opposition.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Yes so very true,there is an old saying made by Disreali "The government is only as good as the opposition"

"

Ive said the same in other threads. I vote Conservative, but agree that the best governments have strong opposition. I can see Conservatives winning with a landslide, and every government that has a large majority seems to be tinged with an unchecked madness. See Maggie in '83 and Bliar in '97.

There is no effective opposition to the Conservatives. Labour is in a mess. LibDems are pointless and SNP are regional and an irrelevance.

The only opposition is snp

» Add a new message to this topic