FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Government Accountability

Government Accountability

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *andS66 OP   Couple  over a year ago

Derby

Tom Watson, Deputy Leader of the Labour Party....

"A Conservative government with a 100 majority... it will be very hard for them to be held to account in the House of Commons."

"It means there won't be the usual checks and balances of democracy... all those things go out of the window."

"You end up with governance.... without much accountability - and I don't think anybody wants that."

So basically what he's saying is that a government with a 100 plus majority is detrimental to democracy and very bad for the country.

What was Labour's majority under Blair again?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

If there is a large majority in the Commons, then its because the people want that.

I'm already getting ready for the backlash on here!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely!.

My rule of thumb for politics is that whoever looks like they will attain it, I vote for the opposite.

A hung parliament will do me every time as it forces them to do as little as possible and frankly most of the stuff governments do is shit

By *andS66 OP   Couple  over a year ago

Derby

"If there is a large majority in the Commons, then its because the people want that.

I'm already getting ready for the backlash on here!"

Lol

"If there is a large majority in the Commons, then its because the people want that.

In my experience most people are knobs,I don't know why we get so excited about what most knobs think or want

"Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely!.

My rule of thumb for politics is that whoever looks like they will attain it, I vote for the opposite.

A hung parliament will do me every time as it forces them to do as little as possible and frankly most of the stuff governments do is shit"

Agreed.Less is more.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

I'm already getting ready for the backlash on here!.

In my experience most people are knobs,I don't know why we get so excited about what most knobs think or want"

But even "knobs" have a vote. Its called democracy.

In my experience most people are knobs,I don't know why we get so excited about what most knobs think or want

But even "knobs" have a vote. Its called democracy."

As winston Churchill said."The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with a voter"..

When it comes to accountability you would of thought that government institutions would be impregnable? The attack on the NHS is terrible and probably going to cost a fortune! We have the likes of GCHQ etc surely you would expect a secure government system? Best brain's money can buy .....?

And Winston Churchill was one of the best examples of a knob ever.

Changed parties on more than one occasion just to retain a grasp on power. Self seeking power hungry buffoon.

"When it comes to accountability you would of thought that government institutions would be impregnable? The attack on the NHS is terrible and probably going to cost a fortune! We have the likes of GCHQ etc surely you would expect a secure government system? Best brain's money can buy .....?"

Wrong thread? I started an NHS attack thread yesterday

In my experience most people are knobs,I don't know why we get so excited about what most knobs think or want"

Yep

Yep "

We've got the best goverment money can buy.It doesn't matter what the knobs think

But even "knobs" have a vote. Its called democracy."

Exactly, which is my rule of thumb is always to vote against them

"And Winston Churchill was one of the best examples of a knob ever.

Changed parties on more than one occasion just to retain a grasp on power. Self seeking power hungry buffoon."

Well no he changed parties so he could partake in a good old war!

Everybody loves a good war

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Tom Watson, Deputy Leader of the Labour Party....

"A Conservative government with a 100 majority... it will be very hard for them to be held to account in the House of Commons."

"It means there won't be the usual checks and balances of democracy... all those things go out of the window."

"You end up with governance.... without much accountability - and I don't think anybody wants that."

So basically what he's saying is that a government with a 100 plus majority is detrimental to democracy and very bad for the country.

What was Labour's majority under Blair again?

"

Yes the main reasons in my view that both Thatcher and Blair became so arrogant was because there majorities where to big,and it makes for bad government.It is a failing in our system I think.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Changed parties on more than one occasion just to retain a grasp on power. Self seeking power hungry buffoon."

You need to read up on history and the facts,it is a brave and honest man that can be flexible in his views and try to put the country first.The main reason you can say such things is because of Churchill the greatest of them all

Changed parties on more than one occasion just to retain a grasp on power. Self seeking power hungry buffoon.You need to read up on history and the facts,it is a brave and honest man that can be flexible in his views and try to put the country first.The main reason you can say such things is because of Churchill the greatest of them all"

I like Churchill, he was my type of tyrant!.

But lets not forget he was in favour of concentration camps long before Hitler was!

And while Hitler went to Berlin to be with Berliners during air raids Winnie fucked off to Oxfordshire!

He certainly weren't no saint

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

tend to agree, not sure any backlash will have any legs or whatever backlashes have..

will be what it is and like most decisions that we the electorate make some will be happy and some less so but only time will tell..

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Changed parties on more than one occasion just to retain a grasp on power. Self seeking power hungry buffoon.You need to read up on history and the facts,it is a brave and honest man that can be flexible in his views and try to put the country first.The main reason you can say such things is because of Churchill the greatest of them all"

greatest because of what..?

he had many flaws and made many bad decisions along side him being in the right place etc in 39..

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

Its simply an aspect of our FPTP system that we use for parliamentary elections. Tom Watson's comments are nonsense

» Add a new message to this topic