FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Recession

Recession

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ensualtouch15 OP   Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

How are you going to protect yourself from the upcoming recession ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *xplicitlyricsMan  over a year ago

south dublin

By not living in a country that shoots itself in the foot and re elects a clueless ineffectual leader.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Who's said we're heading for one ?

"How are you going to protect yourself from the upcoming recession ?"

Save cash, don't invest in anything like a house or property. Although this recession will be long and slow, we won't recover as quickly as we did from the 2007 crash.

ashby de la zouch

"Who's said we're heading for one ? "

I am , let's hope I'm wrong

I predict a deep UK recession within a year of brexit negotiations beginning

Spain are bailing banks IN. If your a lover of money

BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID

It'll be like back to the 80s only in reverse gear. Our economy will have to adjust to the new crappier terms we trade with the EU in. We already are doing this with the pound discounting at 17% below 2016 levels. I think it's got another 13% to go to to get to a level which makes our exports competitive with these likely tariffs we are going to experience. And then rampant inflation will destroy the advantage so maybe it's gotta go another 10% beyond that LOL.

Oh joy

That is unless our glorious leaders get us out of this fine mess they've created stanley.

They honestly could not run a piss up at a brewery. Probably best to say. Here you go jeremy. You helped make this spunk now you try and plat it.

Time to stop sending over 12 billion in overseas aid then! And spend it on our own country

"It'll be like back to the 80s only in reverse gear. Our economy will have to adjust to the new crappier terms we trade with the EU in. We already are doing this with the pound discounting at 17% below 2016 levels. I think it's got another 13% to go to to get to a level which makes our exports competitive with these likely tariffs we are going to experience. And then rampant inflation will destroy the advantage so maybe it's gotta go another 10% beyond that LOL.

Oh joy

That is unless our glorious leaders get us out of this fine mess they've created stanley.

They honestly could not run a piss up at a brewery. Probably best to say. Here you go jeremy. You helped make this spunk now you try and plat it."

Tariffs work both ways! And we already pay tariffs in the form of EU membership fees

Those banks never got bailed out, the entire thing was just like sticking a dummy in the crying babies mouth, in America they call them a pacifier, which is more apt!

Sooner or later as I've always said you have to pay the Piper, the longer you leave it the worse it gets.

Still the wealthy have got their money out and that's all that really matters

Its a global economy, has been for 30 years now, its like jenga you can pull some small blocks out and get the odd wobble but a strategic one and the whole thing comes tumbling down.

The sooner the better I say

Well I did caveat it with someone getting us out of the fine mess. The road forward got much harder last week and much less certain. If there is anyway who can thread their way through this minefield that our prime minister has created please step forward

By *VBethTV/TS  over a year ago

Warminster

"It'll be like back to the 80s only in reverse gear. Our economy will have to adjust to the new crappier terms we trade with the EU in. We already are doing this with the pound discounting at 17% below 2016 levels. I think it's got another 13% to go to to get to a level which makes our exports competitive with these likely tariffs we are going to experience. And then rampant inflation will destroy the advantage so maybe it's gotta go another 10% beyond that LOL.

Oh joy

They honestly could not run a piss up at a brewery. Probably best to say. Here you go jeremy. You helped make this spunk now you try and plat it.

Tariffs work both ways! And we already pay tariffs in the form of EU membership fees "

Stop attempting to apply logic, these people are busy doom-mongering! Also (hopefully inadvertently) helping to spread fear and thereby increasing the problems that MIGHT be ahead. But that's what you do when your party didn't get into government.

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

Ffs another Irish guy aving a dig at the Brits lol

I thought actually that block should have been pulled out 10 years ago by Gordon Brown, who by rescuing all those banks from bankruptcy slid another smaller block back in it's place. He "saved the world" didn't he

He set a jenga trap for David Cameron, he managed to fuck off into the political wilderness but it's still hanging there Like Ed's stone

Oh joy

Tariffs work both ways! And we already pay tariffs in the form of EU membership fees "

Exactly, now we will have to pay fees for a less favourable deal and we won't have a seat at the European table any more and won't have a say in any decisions that will impact the trade deals

"I thought actually that block should have been pulled out 10 years ago by Gordon Brown, who by rescuing all those banks from bankruptcy slid another smaller block back in it's place. He "saved the world" didn't he

He set a jenga trap for David Cameron, he managed to fuck off into the political wilderness but it's still hanging there Like Ed's stone "

Its a western problem so much in that western governments in recent decades have got used to being afraid of what the 1% think!.

They will soon learn who they really need to fear, like I told you before things haven't changed since Adam Smith

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

Oh joy

Tariffs work both ways! And we already pay tariffs in the form of EU membership fees

Stop attempting to apply logic, these people are busy doom-mongering! Also (hopefully inadvertently) helping to spread fear and thereby increasing the problems that MIGHT be ahead. But that's what you do when your party didn't get into government. "

Logic would be fine, it is was applied correctly. Saying "Tariffs apply both ways" basically says "both sides get fucked, and both have less incentive to trade with each other".

And I think saying 'these people' are doom-mongering is a bit rich. Considering the mess both Leave and the Conservatives have created. Anyone attempting to remove your rose-tinted glasses and point out the obvious fuckups going on is accused of 'doom-mongering'. At what point will you stand up and take responsibility?

-Matt

Warminster

I won't Matt. Choices were made by the majority of the country in both cases and in both cases it doesn't sit well with everyone. And you know what? No choice ever will.

I could write reams about what I believe to be right and wrong but I would not be so self centred as to claim that my beliefs are the only correct way. None of us, NOT ONE PERSON actually knows what is coming in the future or what the results of an election or referendum will achieve. Maybe we're right, maybe we're wrong but to be so narcissistic as to believe oneself to be unfailingly correct is beyond contempt.

I will offer you just one example. I believe the European free trade area was a great idea and should have stayed as just that. That's what the public signed up for. Since then, all choices were taken out of our hands. That's wrong in my opinion.

But just like you, and every other person on here and worldwide. It's an opinion. Not a fact!!

If the UK dips into recession the brexiters will blame corbyn for upsetting the apple cart and making May weak.I'm not convinced just yet but i do know people who are now moving money about.We shall see.

We put a sticky plaster on the last recession thats yet come back to bite us in the ass.

Barbados

"I won't Matt. Choices were made by the majority of the country in both cases and in both cases it doesn't sit well with everyone. And you know what? No choice ever will.

I could write reams about what I believe to be right and wrong but I would not be so self centred as to claim that my beliefs are the only correct way. None of us, NOT ONE PERSON actually knows what is coming in the future or what the results of an election or referendum will achieve. Maybe we're right, maybe we're wrong but to be so narcissistic as to believe oneself to be unfailingly correct is beyond contempt.

I will offer you just one example. I believe the European free trade area was a great idea and should have stayed as just that. That's what the public signed up for. Since then, all choices were taken out of our hands. That's wrong in my opinion.

But just like you, and every other person on here and worldwide. It's an opinion. Not a fact!! "

No, those choices since the EFTA were not taken out of your hands at all. They were all voted on by representatives we chose to elect.

The biggest con that Vote Leave managed to pull was to make the general British population believe that "take back control" meant that they personally would be having direct control, rather than in fact that it just meant that 'control' was being further concentrated in the hands of those politicians we elected in Westminster with less safety guards and balances.

I think the public are starting to see through this con, and hence why Labour made such progress in this election, as people started to realise that the officials that had previously been elected in this country did not have the interests of those that elected them at heart. May revealed herself to be vacuous and out of touch with even her core voting base.

They will see this even more when the Queens speech comes out and contains aspect that resembles nothing of the manifesto they voted on, and that the politicians they elected are seemingly perfectly happy joining up with those whom values they don't share in the slightest.

-Matt

"I won't Matt. Choices were made by the majority of the country in both cases and in both cases it doesn't sit well with everyone. And you know what? No choice ever will.

But just like you, and every other person on here and worldwide. It's an opinion. Not a fact!! "

ok so without political oversight and law makers how would a free trade area work between countries who would make sure everyone pays in and gets out their fair share without oversight what would stop one country from tweaking their laws to gain trade advantage? Do you think the USA would stay the USA if there wasn't a government governing all the states?

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

"Those banks never got bailed out, the entire thing was just like sticking a dummy in the crying babies mouth, in America they call them a pacifier, which is more apt!

Sooner or later as I've always said you have to pay the Piper, the longer you leave it the worse it gets.

Still the wealthy have got their money out and that's all that really matters "

Have we? Thanks for letting me know that.

Widnes

You're correct, no one knows for sure what will happen but you can pretty reliably predict if you walk up to the edge of cliff and then choose to jump over the edge it's probably going to end badly for you.

Widnes

But just like you, and every other person on here and worldwide. It's an opinion. Not a fact!! ok so without political oversight and law makers how would a free trade area work between countries who would make sure everyone pays in and gets out their fair share without oversight what would stop one country from tweaking their laws to gain trade advantage? Do you think the USA would stay the USA if there wasn't a government governing all the states?"

It seems that BREXITers think that when the people voted in favour of joining the Common Market in the first referendum they were too stupid to realise that a Common Market meant a common set of rules to run that market.

"Those banks never got bailed out, the entire thing was just like sticking a dummy in the crying babies mouth, in America they call them a pacifier, which is more apt!

Still the wealthy have got their money out and that's all that really matters

Have we? Thanks for letting me know that."

My landlord is holding mine for safe keeping

Warminster

But just like you, and every other person on here and worldwide. It's an opinion. Not a fact!! ok so without political oversight and law makers how would a free trade area work between countries who would make sure everyone pays in and gets out their fair share without oversight what would stop one country from tweaking their laws to gain trade advantage? Do you think the USA would stay the USA if there wasn't a government governing all the states?

It seems that BREXITers think that when the people voted in favour of joining the Common Market in the first referendum they were too stupid to realise that a Common Market meant a common set of rules to run that market."

And there's the "stupid"="doesn't agree with me" line again....

I'm absolutely fine with a governing body FOR TRADE. I'm going to offer a quote from someone who I usually don't agree with but who this time got it right. "If you went into a restaurant and ordered egg and chips, you'd be very angry if you were served a meal of caviar and lobster and then expected to pay for it". We ordered egg and chips when we joined. Not an all encompassing body with their own currency and rules attempting to make countries who mostly spent their histories at war with each other and who are hugely different from each other, live and work in a standard manner. The USA works because regardless of states, the people are much the same. Same language, same values etc. Yes I know about Hawaii before anyone mentions it.

south dublin

But just like you, and every other person on here and worldwide. It's an opinion. Not a fact!!

You're correct, no one knows for sure what will happen but you can pretty reliably predict if you walk up to the edge of cliff and then choose to jump over the edge it's probably going to end badly for you. "

Brexiters currently have their eyes closed singing "I Believe I Can Fly" as the ground comes to meet them.

south dublin

But just like you, and every other person on here and worldwide. It's an opinion. Not a fact!! ok so without political oversight and law makers how would a free trade area work between countries who would make sure everyone pays in and gets out their fair share without oversight what would stop one country from tweaking their laws to gain trade advantage? Do you think the USA would stay the USA if there wasn't a government governing all the states?

It seems that BREXITers think that when the people voted in favour of joining the Common Market in the first referendum they were too stupid to realise that a Common Market meant a common set of rules to run that market.

I'm absolutely fine with a governing body FOR TRADE. I'm going to offer a quote from someone who I usually don't agree with but who this time got it right. "If you went into a restaurant and ordered egg and chips, you'd be very angry if you were served a meal of caviar and lobster and then expected to pay for it". We ordered egg and chips when we joined. Not an all encompassing body with their own currency and rules attempting to make countries who mostly spent their histories at war with each other and who are hugely different from each other, live and work in a standard manner. The USA works because regardless of states, the people are much the same. Same language, same values etc. Yes I know about Hawaii before anyone mentions it. "

Ummm....well this is embarrassing...but, you do realise that America is made up of European settlers from all over Europe as well as natives, Africans and Asians. Theyve also had several internal wars including the Civil War. And they are very much divided politically and socially across geographic areas. There were also language differences across the country with many parts German speaking, Creole is a language unto its own, there were and are large spanish speaking populations and not to mention many different native languages.

I'm absolutely fine with a governing body FOR TRADE. I'm going to offer a quote from someone who I usually don't agree with but who this time got it right. "If you went into a restaurant and ordered egg and chips, you'd be very angry if you were served a meal of caviar and lobster and then expected to pay for it". We ordered egg and chips when we joined. Not an all encompassing body with their own currency and rules attempting to make countries who mostly spent their histories at war with each other and who are hugely different from each other, live and work in a standard manner. The USA works because regardless of states, the people are much the same. Same language, same values etc. Yes I know about Hawaii before anyone mentions it. "

ok using your quote how is walking out sticking your finger to the restaurant manager gona help you ? This resturant being the closest and most friendly to you?

Barbados

You're correct, no one knows for sure what will happen but you can pretty reliably predict if you walk up to the edge of cliff and then choose to jump over the edge it's probably going to end badly for you.

Brexiters currently have their eyes closed singing "I Believe I Can Fly" as the ground comes to meet them."

A great piece in the FT today:

https://www.ft.com/content/e5890951-73ab-39e6-93c2-13cf4dc8497a

-Matt

I'm absolutely fine with a governing body FOR TRADE. I'm going to offer a quote from someone who I usually don't agree with but who this time got it right. "If you went into a restaurant and ordered egg and chips, you'd be very angry if you were served a meal of caviar and lobster and then expected to pay for it". We ordered egg and chips when we joined. Not an all encompassing body with their own currency and rules attempting to make countries who mostly spent their histories at war with each other and who are hugely different from each other, live and work in a standard manner. The USA works because regardless of states, the people are much the same. Same language, same values etc. Yes I know about Hawaii before anyone mentions it.

Ummm....well this is embarrassing...but, you do realise that America is made up of European settlers from all over Europe as well as natives, Africans and Asians. Theyve also had several internal wars including the Civil War. And they are very much divided politically and socially across geographic areas. There were also language differences across the country with many parts German speaking, Creole is a language unto its own, there were and are large spanish speaking populations and not to mention many different native languages."

People often forget that North America was at first nothing but a series of colonies set up by ourselves, France, the Dutch, and to some extent Spain, it then became a series of very loosely allied states which much like European nation states - thought against one another until the founding father's really.

Lets not forget the whole American 'manifest destiny' thing, there in heading West across the continent the American's used slave labour and subjugated the natives. In doing so American states became the first pre-modern multicultural western society. So you know, a whole lot of 'different peoples.'

Also, on the issue of European and their states being wildly different. Care to elaborate without using the old soviet block countries as an example?

I mean beyond food and language, an a few holidays what are the differences between ourselves, the germans, dutch, french, Austrians, Danish, Swedes - the list goes on. As far as I can see European nations have been shaped in unity since the protestant reformation, and the insuring 30 years war. I mean lets face it, that was europes first geopolitical conflict, and pretty much set european nations off on the same cultural evolution which led to pre, then post modern europe.

thornaby

[Removed by poster at 13/06/17 18:48:01]

Warminster

I'm absolutely fine with a governing body FOR TRADE. I'm going to offer a quote from someone who I usually don't agree with but who this time got it right. "If you went into a restaurant and ordered egg and chips, you'd be very angry if you were served a meal of caviar and lobster and then expected to pay for it". We ordered egg and chips when we joined. Not an all encompassing body with their own currency and rules attempting to make countries who mostly spent their histories at war with each other and who are hugely different from each other, live and work in a standard manner. The USA works because regardless of states, the people are much the same. Same language, same values etc. Yes I know about Hawaii before anyone mentions it. ok using your quote how is walking out sticking your finger to the restaurant manager gona help you ? This resturant being the closest and most friendly to you? "

I don't want to do that. I want egg and chips. Why should I be force fed caviar and lobster?

Widnes

Just for the record I didn't say anymore was stupid. What I said was one group must have thought the other group was stupid.

thornaby

But if the uk is doomed can u tell me why an Irish guys is so upset with us leaving . you AV spilt more tears than all the uk remainers out together

Widnes

Brexiters currently have their eyes closed singing "I Believe I Can Fly" as the ground comes to meet them.

-Matt"

Unfortunately you need a subscription to read that link.

I'm absolutely fine with a governing body FOR TRADE. I'm going to offer a quote from someone who I usually don't agree with but who this time got it right. "If you went into a restaurant and ordered egg and chips, you'd be very angry if you were served a meal of caviar and lobster and then expected to pay for it". We ordered egg and chips when we joined. Not an all encompassing body with their own currency and rules attempting to make countries who mostly spent their histories at war with each other and who are hugely different from each other, live and work in a standard manner. The USA works because regardless of states, the people are much the same. Same language, same values etc. Yes I know about Hawaii before anyone mentions it. ok using your quote how is walking out sticking your finger to the restaurant manager gona help you ? This resturant being the closest and most friendly to you?

I don't want to do that. I want egg and chips. Why should I be force fed caviar and lobster? "

so if you can't get egg and chips you prefer to starve? No wait you prefer to stick you finger to the management leave the restaurant then go back to resturants ask for your food again but your not gona pay for it and you're not gona obey any resturant rules ? That somes up brexit to me

They say this is the 5th biggest economy in the world, it looks more like a poor 3rd world country lol.

Warminster

"

Ummm....well this is embarrassing...but, you do realise that America is made up of European settlers from all over Europe as well as natives, Africans and Asians. Theyve also had several internal wars including the Civil War. And they are very much divided politically and socially across geographic areas. There were also language differences across the country with many parts German speaking, Creole is a language unto its own, there were and are large spanish speaking populations and not to mention many different native languages."

Yes I've read my history, I'm not sure how knowing stuff is embarrassing for you. The point I was making is valid. They are a good melting pot of people without 28 utterly different country identities. And they don't have thousands of years of history fighting each other. Europe and the USA are different. There were differences and they are mainly gone. The vast majority see themselves as Americans. There are spanish speaking enclaves but not a country within a country. We don't view ourselves as Europeans in the same way. Had we federated a few hundred years ago then things would be different but I don't believe it would work starting nowadays.

Barbados

-Matt

Unfortunately you need a subscription to read that link. "

Alas if you link to it form elsewhere it will let you in, if you copy and paste it won't. You can however copy and paste into google's search and follow it from there directly or via the cached version.

-Matt

ashby de la zouch

"

Ummm....well this is embarrassing...but, you do realise that America is made up of European settlers from all over Europe as well as natives, Africans and Asians. Theyve also had several internal wars including the Civil War. And they are very much divided politically and socially across geographic areas. There were also language differences across the country with many parts German speaking, Creole is a language unto its own, there were and are large spanish speaking populations and not to mention many different native languages.

Yes I've read my history, I'm not sure how knowing stuff is embarrassing for you. The point I was making is valid. They are a good melting pot of people without 28 utterly different country identities. And they don't have thousands of years of history fighting each other. Europe and the USA are different. There were differences and they are mainly gone. The vast majority see themselves as Americans. There are spanish speaking enclaves but not a country within a country. We don't view ourselves as Europeans in the same way. Had we federated a few hundred years ago then things would be different but I don't believe it would work starting nowadays. "

They are not different lol they are Europeans and they have very real regional differences

Widnes

I'm absolutely fine with a governing body FOR TRADE. I'm going to offer a quote from someone who I usually don't agree with but who this time got it right. "If you went into a restaurant and ordered egg and chips, you'd be very angry if you were served a meal of caviar and lobster and then expected to pay for it". We ordered egg and chips when we joined. Not an all encompassing body with their own currency and rules attempting to make countries who mostly spent their histories at war with each other and who are hugely different from each other, live and work in a standard manner. The USA works because regardless of states, the people are much the same. Same language, same values etc. Yes I know about Hawaii before anyone mentions it. ok using your quote how is walking out sticking your finger to the restaurant manager gona help you ? This resturant being the closest and most friendly to you?

I don't want to do that. I want egg and chips. Why should I be force fed caviar and lobster? "

But you weren't and aren't being fed anything except what the people agreed to in the first referendum. The aim of the Common Market were clearly laid out at the time and they were:-

To bring together the peoples of Europe in ever closer political, economic and social integration.

To raise living standards and improve working conditions across all member states.

To promote growth and boost world trade.

To help the poorest regions of Europe and the rest of the world.

To help maintain peace and freedom in Europe and the world.

It's simply not true to say we were conned into voting in favour of remaining in the EEC in 1975. The issues of Sovereignty were raised, as is shown from this extract from the government leaflet issued at the time clearly shows.

"

WILL PARLIAMENT

LOSE ITS POWER?

Another anxiety expressed about Britain's membership of the Common Market is that Parliament could lose its supremacy, and we would have to obey laws passed by unelected 'faceless bureaucrats' sitting in their headquarters in Brussels.

What are the facts?

Fact No. 1 is that in the modern world even the Super Powers like America and Russia do not have complete freedom of action. Medium-sized nations like Britain are more and more subject to economic and political forces we cannot control on our own.

A striking recent example of the impact of such forces is the way the Arab oil-producing nations brought about an energy and financial crisis not only in Britain but throughout a great part of the world.

Since we cannot go it alone in the modern world, Britain has for years been a member of international groupings like the United Nations, NATO and the International Monetary Fund.

Membership of such groupings imposes both rights and duties, but has not deprived us of our national identity, or changed our way of life.

Membership of the Common Market also imposes new rights and duties on Britain, but does not deprive us of our national identity. To say that membership could force Britain to eat Euro-bread or drink Euro-beer is nonsense.

"

"

Yes I've read my history, I'm not sure how knowing stuff is embarrassing for you. The point I was making is valid. They are a good melting pot of people without 28 utterly different country identities. And they don't have thousands of years of history fighting each other. Europe and the USA are different. There were differences and they are mainly gone. The vast majority see themselves as Americans. There are spanish speaking enclaves but not a country within a country. We don't view ourselves as Europeans in the same way. Had we federated a few hundred years ago then things would be different but I don't believe it would work starting nowadays. "

The only Americans are the indigenous indian nation.Everyone else is an immigrant.They define themselves as African American and Irish American latino hispanic etc etc.

They have a history of war and division.

The civil war.Slavery.The genocide of the indigenous population.They have had as many problems as the UK and the EU.

Widnes

"But if the uk is doomed can u tell me why an Irish guys is so upset with us leaving . you AV spilt more tears than all the uk remainers out together "

For the same reason the British government spent large amounts of money to help Ireland rescue it's economy after the banking crisis in 2008/10. It's not in any countries interests to have a country with a faltering or failing economy as it's biggest per head trading partner.

Widnes

"

Whilst I still see myself as British and English first I most definitely am, and also see myself most definitely as European to.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"

One of my business partners there is a first generation immigrant and she has a three year old child to whom she does not speak English to. This child will not hear anything in English until she starts schoo because she interacts solely with family and friends of the same background. This is not unusual. Second and even third generation immigrants identify themselves by their ancestry first and foremost. Many cities have entire towns within them that are made up almost entirely of one ethnicity. The United States is much more divided ethnically than Europe and racial intolerance is more evident there than here.

south dublin

"But if the uk is doomed can u tell me why an Irish guys is so upset with us leaving . you AV spilt more tears than all the uk remainers out together "

On football forums I discuss football, on here I discuss politics and on this forum Brexit is one of the most popular topics. Its not rocket science.

Im not upset with you leaving, I think its stupid and economic suicide and its being done in an incompetant way, but I also see huge opportunity for Irelands economy. While Mays been wasting the time available to her the Irish government have been lobbying the EU directly, individual governments and powerful and influential groups. Even the main agricultural union in France is now lobbying on our behalf to get us prioritised for the post Brexit EU. Thats despite the fact that French farmers could also stand to benefit instead of us.

south dublin

"

You werent force fed anything. You agreed to go to the restaurant and when you got there you said you wanted Margaret, John, Tony and Gordon to order for all of you. Then you decided you didnt like what you got, tipped over the table, told all the restaurant staff how useless and cruel to you they were. Then you tried to storm out got tangled up in all the coats in the cloakroom and are now asking the staff for help as you also shout about how useless and cruel they are and that their restaurant will be out of business soon and you'll be glad when it happens.

By *avagliamMan  over a year ago

London

"

Yes I've read my history, I'm not sure how knowing stuff is embarrassing for you. The point I was making is valid. They are a good melting pot of people without 28 utterly different country identities. And they don't have thousands of years of history fighting each other. Europe and the USA are different. There were differences and they are mainly gone. The vast majority see themselves as Americans. There are spanish speaking enclaves but not a country within a country. We don't view ourselves as Europeans in the same way. Had we federated a few hundred years ago then things would be different but I don't believe it would work starting nowadays.

Whilst I still see myself as British and English first I most definitely am, and also see myself most definitely as European to. "

You are talking a lot of sense Sir. I just read a few replies above about "Europeans" being different from us and I keep getting shocked when reading/hearing that; "europeans" love Beatles, Clapton, the stones, etc and Brits love Rammstein, Dietrich, Piaf or Julio Iglesias. When it comes to religion, it is almost the same despite some tweaks here and there. When it comes to language: We speak an English spiced up with so many french, English, German, Spanish and Portuguese words and so do they... When it comes to food: Do we eat british food?... And when it comes to vacation: We prefer Spain, France, Portugal... When it comes to geography: The world sees us as Europe not as an isolated bunch of rocks in the middle of the sea; there is even a tunnel linking us!... We are so mixed, linked and intertwined that only in the head of someone living in a light tower for decades could perhaps make sense that we are not Europeans.

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

I'm absolutely fine with a governing body FOR TRADE. I'm going to offer a quote from someone who I usually don't agree with but who this time got it right. "If you went into a restaurant and ordered egg and chips, you'd be very angry if you were served a meal of caviar and lobster and then expected to pay for it". We ordered egg and chips when we joined. Not an all encompassing body with their own currency and rules attempting to make countries who mostly spent their histories at war with each other and who are hugely different from each other, live and work in a standard manner. The USA works because regardless of states, the people are much the same. Same language, same values etc. Yes I know about Hawaii before anyone mentions it. ok using your quote how is walking out sticking your finger to the restaurant manager gona help you ? This resturant being the closest and most friendly to you? "

How is the restaurant being friendly by bringing you caviar and lobster when you just ordered egg and chips? I'd say that is pretty damn rude! Also this restaurant is getting very overcrowded because there is no doorman to monitor the flow of people in and out. Best thing to do is leave and refuse to pay the bill for the caviar and lobster and walk into the restaurant next door and order egg and chips there instead (could be called Donald Trump restaurant). Your volume of trade with the restaurant that you just walked out of that wants to serve you caviar and Lobster has been declining gradually over the last 20 years anyway and your trade with all the other restaurants in the street outside has been gradually increasing over the last 20 years. The distance to walk from one restaurant to the other is pretty much irrelevant in the modern world, with the advent of the Internet and more efficient methods of transport the term 'the death of distance' now applies to world wide trade.

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

How is the restaurant being friendly by bringing you caviar and lobster when you just ordered egg and chips? I'd say that is pretty damn rude! Also this restaurant is getting very overcrowded because there is no doorman to monitor the flow of people in and out. Best thing to do is leave and refuse to pay the bill for the caviar and lobster and walk into the restaurant next door and order egg and chips there instead (could be called Donald Trump restaurant). Your volume of trade with the restaurant that you just walked out of that wants to serve you caviar and Lobster has been declining gradually over the last 20 years anyway and your trade with all the other restaurants in the street outside has been gradually increasing over the last 20 years. The distance to walk from one restaurant to the other is pretty much irrelevant in the modern world, with the advent of the Internet and more efficient methods of transport the term 'the death of distance' now applies to world wide trade. "

The chinese restaurant up theroad isdoing a good takeaway trade these days

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"How are you going to protect yourself from the upcoming recession ?

Save cash, don't invest in anything like a house or property. Although this recession will be long and slow, we won't recover as quickly as we did from the 2007 crash."

We have not yet fully recovered from 2007

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

How is the restaurant being friendly by bringing you caviar and lobster when you just ordered egg and chips? I'd say that is pretty damn rude! Also this restaurant is getting very overcrowded because there is no doorman to monitor the flow of people in and out. Best thing to do is leave and refuse to pay the bill for the caviar and lobster and walk into the restaurant next door and order egg and chips there instead (could be called Donald Trump restaurant). Your volume of trade with the restaurant that you just walked out of that wants to serve you caviar and Lobster has been declining gradually over the last 20 years anyway and your trade with all the other restaurants in the street outside has been gradually increasing over the last 20 years. The distance to walk from one restaurant to the other is pretty much irrelevant in the modern world, with the advent of the Internet and more efficient methods of transport the term 'the death of distance' now applies to world wide trade. "

Fuck me, this just got surreal.

Cannock

How is the restaurant being friendly by bringing you caviar and lobster when you just ordered egg and chips? I'd say that is pretty damn rude! Also this restaurant is getting very overcrowded because there is no doorman to monitor the flow of people in and out. Best thing to do is leave and refuse to pay the bill for the caviar and lobster and walk into the restaurant next door and order egg and chips there instead (could be called Donald Trump restaurant). Your volume of trade with the restaurant that you just walked out of that wants to serve you caviar and Lobster has been declining gradually over the last 20 years anyway and your trade with all the other restaurants in the street outside has been gradually increasing over the last 20 years. The distance to walk from one restaurant to the other is pretty much irrelevant in the modern world, with the advent of the Internet and more efficient methods of transport the term 'the death of distance' now applies to world wide trade.

The chinese restaurant up theroad isdoing a good takeaway trade these days "

The Indian takeaway is pretty good too

Warminster

The Indian takeaway is pretty good too "

My (borrowed) analogy is being stretched a long way but it is amusing.

well I'm glad you said it and not me we are now global and distance is irrelevant so when we leave what's stopping the Japanese from flooding the UK market with cheap cars the Chinese from flooding it with just about cheap everything and south Americans from flooding it with cheap beef ? What's going to protect the British industries? Remember tariffs work both ways there will be winners in Brexit most likly the Chinese and Americans

"Ffs another Irish guy aving a dig at the Brits lol"

Come on its too much fun pointing out the obvious to those that thinks brexit is an economically wise idea and that Europe will implode in a matter of days. If you can't poke fun at the painfully naive and gullible who can you poke fun at...

My bet on the pound is still open

"I thought actually that block should have been pulled out 10 years ago by Gordon Brown, who by rescuing all those banks from bankruptcy slid another smaller block back in it's place. He "saved the world" didn't he

He set a jenga trap for David Cameron, he managed to fuck off into the political wilderness but it's still hanging there Like Ed's stone .

Its a western problem so much in that western governments in recent decades have got used to being afraid of what the 1% think!.

They will soon learn who they really need to fear, like I told you before things haven't changed since Adam Smith"

The pitchforks are coming. I'm a liberal capitalist (I think...) in thee original Adam Smith model of a rising tide and boats and what not...fuck the plutocrats

Can someone email me a new car yet?

He set a jenga trap for David Cameron, he managed to fuck off into the political wilderness but it's still hanging there Like Ed's stone .

They will soon learn who they really need to fear, like I told you before things haven't changed since Adam Smith

The pitchforks are coming. I'm a liberal capitalist (I think...) in thee original Adam Smith model of a rising tide and boats and what not...fuck the plutocrats "

What Smith realised is that in an economic model where you have rich and poor then the rich need to do something to stop the age old human tradition of the poor just rising up and killing the rich, what I think he realised is that the rich have to pay for the state, that's the Faustian bargain, you pay, your still rich but your no longer in fear for your life for being rich!.

Right wingers think these days have past, there deluded

Cannock

"Can someone email me a new car yet? "

You can place the order for the new car over the Internet and it will be delivered in good time.

I ordered something online last week it was delivered from China in 7 days.

"Can someone email me a new car yet?

You can place the order for the new car over the Internet and it will be delivered in good time.

I ordered something online last week it was delivered from China in 7 days. "

You knew exactly what I really meant

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

Oh joy

We have a negative balance of payments....so that'll work out well for us won't it? I guess you're not an economist.....

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

But did you get the free prawn crackers?

bournemouth

Oh joy

We have a negative balance of payments....so that'll work out well for us won't it? I guess you're not an economist....."

Why do we have a balance of trade deficit? Could it be because our once great industries were brought to their knees by unions, over manning and job demarcation? Yes bad management played a part but even these days we have unions trying to force southern rail to employ guards that all the safety bods say arent needed, when the Japanese car companies arrived they brought with them 20th century work practises also too many brits have been told they need an uni degree and want to work in an office pushing paper and wealth about instead of actually creating wealth. Look at France and germany they look to buy home made products first we go for the cheapest regardless, that comes home to roost, UK overheads are too high

Widnes

The Indian takeaway is pretty good too "

I know a really good Turkish restaurant in Hammersmith. You can order online, pay by card and they'll even deliver to the door. Only problem is they won't deliver to Liverpool so usually end up using the local chippy instead. What was that you we're saying about the death of distance?

Widnes

I hope it wasn't number 57-Sweet-and-sour pork. That pork would be well rank after 7 days in the post. Don't they have a local Chinese take-a-way near you? There pretty good you know.

Oh joy

We have a negative balance of payments....so that'll work out well for us won't it? I guess you're not an economist.....

Why do we have a balance of trade deficit? Could it be because our once great industries were brought to their knees by unions, over manning and job demarcation? Yes bad management played a part but even these days we have unions trying to force southern rail to employ guards that all the safety bods say arent needed, when the Japanese car companies arrived they brought with them 20th century work practises also too many brits have been told they need an uni degree and want to work in an office pushing paper and wealth about instead of actually creating wealth. Look at France and germany they look to buy home made products first we go for the cheapest regardless, that comes home to roost, UK overheads are too high "

So your saying unions were the problem for loss of industry and then your say look at France and Germany.. Who've got loads of unions still!!.

Poor union management had a hand in it but then so did globalisation, piss poor government, piss poor management in general, regulations, tax laws, infrastructure failure...

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

To be honest another recession is probably on the cards but it could easily come from under the radar.

While everyone is chucking their Brexit theory's in the air the rest of Europe is still muddling through an almighty mess.

The Greek problem may be sleeping at the moment but it has far from gone away.

The Italian government managed to fudge its way through losing the constitutional referendum but its banks are still in a perilous situation.

In Spain Banco Santander has just bought the debt ridden and pretty much insolvent Banco Popular for 1€. Remember that it isn't that long ago that the ECB gave Spain over 400 billion to bail out its banks yet it still didn't solve the problem. Thankfully the economy is showing signs of improvement and the property market is picking up so barring a disaster Spain should be OK for now.

Belgium is well in the shit and even Germany is looking closely at some of its banks. Deutsche Bank is barely solvent and Commerzbank isn't much better.

Then there is France. Overloaded with debt, hamstrung by a sclerotic economy, and its already weakened banks exposed to massive amounts of toxic debt from the rest of the Eurozone.

Any one of the above could start the domino effect which could bring the whole lot crashing down.

The Brexit effect could turn out to be a drop in the ocean.

I was talking about banco Populars bail in just the other day.. Once you see the bail ins start you know the end is nigh, they should have done bail ins from the start but alas they got scared from listening to the 1%

Costa Blanca Spain...

"I was talking about banco Populars bail in just the other day.. Once you see the bail ins start you know the end is nigh, they should have done bail ins from the start but alas they got scared from listening to the 1%"

If there was a "bail in" at Banco Popular I must have missed it. The Santander takeover was just that, a straight forward takeover.

Obviously with a purchase price of 1€ any shareholders will have lost their cash (the Spanish government were the major one) and any that transferred their hard earned into the banks bonds will have gone the same way, as also happened recently in Italy.

However a "bail in" means that account holders have to take a haircut on their accounts (as happened in Cyprus). We have an account with BP and no money has been taken and I've not heard of anyone else having that problem.

"I was talking about banco Populars bail in just the other day.. Once you see the bail ins start you know the end is nigh, they should have done bail ins from the start but alas they got scared from listening to the 1%

If there was a "bail in" at Banco Popular I must have missed it. The Santander takeover was just that, a straight forward takeover.

Obviously with a purchase price of 1€ any shareholders will have lost their cash (the Spanish government were the major one) and any that transferred their hard earned into the banks bonds will have gone the same way, as also happened recently in Italy.

However a "bail in" means that account holders have to take a haircut on their accounts (as happened in Cyprus). We have an account with BP and no money has been taken and I've not heard of anyone else having that problem."

That's what happened, I read that it was around 35 billion of assets that were wiped for Santanders purchase.

When you deposits your money in the bank I'm AFRAID it's no longer your money, its a bank asset backed by a bank guarantee to repay it.

Just because they didn't trim it off standard account holders doesn't mean it wasn't a bail in!.

Its the end scenario because bail ins make people take money out of banks and that's the last thing they want so this time they trimmed it from elsewhere... Next time it might be different

Costa Blanca Spain...

"When you deposits your money in the bank I'm AFRAID it's no longer your money, its a bank asset backed by a bank guarantee to repay it.

Just because they didn't trim it off standard account holders doesn't mean it wasn't a bail in!.

Its the end scenario because bail ins make people take money out of banks and that's the last thing they want so this time they trimmed it from elsewhere... Next time it might be different"

I just don't see where you get "bail in" from. It wasn't a bail in, there was no bail in, it just didn't happen.

The company (bank) in effect went bust.

When any company goes bust the shareholders, whoever they may be, lose their money.

When any company goes bust any unsecured loans to the company (in this case bonds) are defaulted on.

Neither scenario qualifies as a "bail in"

A bail in is when account holders are forced to lose a percentage of their money to keep the bank afloat or shareholders are asked to stump up more cash for the same reason.

Neither happened.

I'm pretty sure that the Spanish government will have sweetened the deal for Santander. As the major shareholder it was in the governments interests to unload BP. However it is really a mute point in the bigger picture.

Although not as bad as five years ago Spanish banks are still sat on shitloads of repossessed properties and are only drip feeding them into the market.

This is, in the main, for two reasons. Firstly if they tried to unload the lot in one fell swoop then the property market wouldn't just fall it would collapse, digging them into a much deeper hole than they are already in.

Secondly and rather perversely it is the repossessed property's that are keeping some of the banks afloat.

If a bank has a property with say 100 grand outstanding they can attach a nominal value of the same figure which will show as an asset on the balance sheet. However if they sell the property for its real value say 60 grand then while they get the cash, they actually lose 40 grand off the balance sheet. Do that a few times and it can knock a big chunk off the banks value and force it into insolvency.

It pretty much breaks every rule in the book but the Spanish government are quite happy to turn a blind eye to the practise out of nothing else but blind fear of the consequences of enforcement.

There are quite a few banks in Spain that would have gone bust long ago if they had to live in the real world.

You've not read what I wrote or you've failed to understand it.

When you deposit your money into the bank it stops becoming your money, it is now a bank asset?.

Do you understand that bit?.

Now what happens with assets when a company goes bankrupt.. Do you know?.

The only difference between a bailout and a bail in is debt management.

One is bailing out the debt

The other is bailing out of the debt

Costa Blanca Spain...

"You've not read what I wrote or you've failed to understand it.

When you deposit your money into the bank it stops becoming your money, it is now a bank asset?.

Do you understand that bit?.

Now what happens with assets when a company goes bankrupt.. Do you know?.

"

Well up to around a hundred grand it is guaranteed by the ECB in the Eurozone and the BOE in the UK.

Larger investors would be exposed but any one of them with an ounce of common sense would have bailed out (pun intended) long ago.

But even that wouldn't qualify as a "bail in" it would just mean that they lost their money to a bankrupt company.

Obviously using the "bail in" term suits your political agenda but it really is not the case here.

Costa Blanca Spain...

I would just add that in the case of Banco Popular although insolvent it didn't actually go bust. It was taken over by another bank, meaning that even larger investors would not have lost any money in accounts.

Again no "bail in"

"I would just add that in the case of Banco Popular although insolvent it didn't actually go bust. It was taken over by another bank, meaning that even larger investors would not have lost any money in accounts.

Again no "bail in""

I have no political agenda on the banks in afraid most politicans everywhere regardless of slant were fucking hopeless!.

Your getting stuck on accounts and where the money comes from for a bail in!.. That's not the point,a bail in involves debt being wiped off a bail out involves giving them money to pay their debt.

Greece could have had a bail in but that would have involved them not repaying their debt which funnily enough was mostly owed to Germany and French banks.

Banks assets are customers account money, the ECB can promise you whatever you want to believe, however what they can actually pay you are two completely different things

Essex

Oh joy

Why do we have a balance of trade deficit? Could it be because our once great industries were brought to their knees by unions, over manning and job demarcation? Yes bad management played a part but even these days we have unions trying to force southern rail to employ guards that all the safety bods say arent needed, when the Japanese car companies arrived they brought with them 20th century work practises also too many brits have been told they need an uni degree and want to work in an office pushing paper and wealth about instead of actually creating wealth. Look at France and germany they look to buy home made products first we go for the cheapest regardless, that comes home to roost, UK overheads are too high "

I love a spot of historical revisionism. Feel free to rewrite the history of the demise of british industry. We are where we are and thinking that we can create a manufacturing base in the next 2 years before brexit is fantasy land. So it would be the gesture of a nation of dullards to create a brexit where we lose significant elements of our successful economy

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

"Spain are bailing banks IN. If your a lover of money

BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID "

All banks can bail in now I believe. The rules were changed after 2008. No one's money is safe, not even the supposed €100,000.

Derby

But just like you, and every other person on here and worldwide. It's an opinion. Not a fact!! ok so without political oversight and law makers how would a free trade area work between countries who would make sure everyone pays in and gets out their fair share without oversight what would stop one country from tweaking their laws to gain trade advantage? Do you think the USA would stay the USA if there wasn't a government governing all the states?"

You do realise that the USA is one country, and the EU 28 countries, don't you?

bournemouth

"

I love a spot of historical revisionism. Feel free to rewrite the history of the demise of british industry. We are where we are and thinking that we can create a manufacturing base in the next 2 years before brexit is fantasy land. So it would be the gesture of a nation of dullards to create a brexit where we lose significant elements of our successful economy"

Of course we cant rebuild it in two years but we can and must rebalance our economy you cant redistribute wealth until you create it

Widnes

[Removed by poster at 15/06/17 10:53:51]

Widnes

"

I love a spot of historical revisionism. Feel free to rewrite the history of the demise of british industry. We are where we are and thinking that we can create a manufacturing base in the next 2 years before brexit is fantasy land. So it would be the gesture of a nation of dullards to create a brexit where we lose significant elements of our successful economy

Of course we cant rebuild it in two years but we can and must rebalance our economy you cant redistribute wealth until you create it"

You're correct, you can't redistribute wealth until after you've created it. What I don't understand is how is making it harder to trade with are biggest, closest and richest partners going to help in creating that wealth?

Barbados

"

Of course we cant rebuild it in two years but we can and must rebalance our economy you cant redistribute wealth until you create it

You're correct, you can't redistribute wealth until after you've created it. What I don't understand is how is making it harder to trade with are biggest, closest and richest partners going to help in creating that wealth?"

Indeed, or making it harder to move people about when we are increasingly a knowledge and service-based economy.

-Matt

You do realise that the USA is one country, and the EU 28 countries, don't you?"

yea but how did become one country before the civil war it was north and south ...they unified and in doing so became the greatest nation on earth if Europe was the split back into 27 different nations with there own trade tarriffs and barriers Europe would go down there's no significant great wealth of natural resources to keep Europe ahead or in the same league as the other major economies you either combine or lose ...Brexiters can't see that

You do realise that the USA is one country, and the EU 28 countries, don't you?yea but how did become one country before the civil war it was north and south ...they unified and in doing so became the greatest nation on earth if Europe was the split back into 27 different nations with there own trade tarriffs and barriers Europe would go down there's no significant great wealth of natural resources to keep Europe ahead or in the same league as the other major economies you either combine or lose ...Brexiters can't see that "

There a federation of states, always have been, the civil war was about some states attempting to break away from federal authority as well other things like the push West and expansion

The only difference between the EU and the US in reality is monetary policy and inside the eurozone even that's not there, the US history is littered with people moving from state to state following work, of course it works easier and better in the USA because they don't have the welfare system of Europe to contend with.

Derby

You do realise that the USA is one country, and the EU 28 countries, don't you?yea but how did become one country before the civil war it was north and south ...they unified and in doing so became the greatest nation on earth if Europe was the split back into 27 different nations with there own trade tarriffs and barriers Europe would go down there's no significant great wealth of natural resources to keep Europe ahead or in the same league as the other major economies you either combine or lose ...Brexiters can't see that "

Think you might need to learn a bit about the USA, its history, and the civil war there before you start talking about it.

By *oodvibrations68Couple  over a year ago

Lake Constance

"

I don't want to do that. I want egg and chips. Why should I be force fed caviar and lobster?

You werent force fed anything. You agreed to go to the restaurant and when you got there you said you wanted Margaret, John, Tony and Gordon to order for all of you. Then you decided you didnt like what you got, tipped over the table, told all the restaurant staff how useless and cruel to you they were. Then you tried to storm out got tangled up in all the coats in the cloakroom and are now asking the staff for help as you also shout about how useless and cruel they are and that their restaurant will be out of business soon and you'll be glad when it happens."

... nicely written

Essex

"

Of course we cant rebuild it in two years but we can and must rebalance our economy you cant redistribute wealth until you create it"

Would it not be supremely stupid to lose one before creating the other? Timing is all and the clock is ticking. (BTW, we will never become a predominantly manufacturing nation ever again - it's too late)

Recessions are cyclical and occur on average roughly every 7 years. The will be a major one, 7 years later a minor one, gollowed by major then minor and so on. The last one was a major one so the next one, in 2-3 years will be a minor one.

No biggie

"Recessions are cyclical and occur on average roughly every 7 years. The will be a major one, 7 years later a minor one, gollowed by major then minor and so on. The last one was a major one so the next one, in 2-3 years will be a minor one.

No biggie "

none of this is in any way factual .... if you are going to respond by claiming it is factual then post some data proving it ... if no data then it's just agenda bolstering BS again ... time to back your shit up dude

"Recessions are cyclical and occur on average roughly every 7 years. The will be a major one, 7 years later a minor one, gollowed by major then minor and so on. The last one was a major one so the next one, in 2-3 years will be a minor one.

No biggie "

Actually this is the longest period without a recession in 100 years, your correct though they average 4-7 year cycles

No biggie

none of this is in any way factual .... if you are going to respond by claiming it is factual then post some data proving it ... if no data then it's just agenda bolstering BS again ... time to back your shit up dude"

Check the years of recent recessions. I don't have to do anything as I know its true

No biggie

none of this is in any way factual .... if you are going to respond by claiming it is factual then post some data proving it ... if no data then it's just agenda bolstering BS again ... time to back your shit up dude

Check the years of recent recessions. I don't have to do anything as I know its true "

utter nonsence ... your post is utter bullshit and total lies as per

Cannock

No biggie

Check the years of recent recessions. I don't have to do anything as I know its true "

It is an easily checked verifiable fact on Google.

No biggie

Check the years of recent recessions. I don't have to do anything as I know its true

utter nonsence ... your post is utter bullshit and total lies as per "

So much anger. When did I run your cat over?

Derby

No biggie .

Actually this is the longest period without a recession in 100 years, your correct though they average 4-7 year cycles"

Really?

How many recessions were there. Between 1945 and when we joined the EEC? And then how many since?

No biggie

So much anger. When did I run your cat over? "

just calling you on your usual lying bullshit chap ... tis all

No biggie

just calling you on your usual lying bullshit chap ... tis all"

I repeat. So much anger. When did I run your cat over?

No biggie

I repeat. So much anger. When did I run your cat over? "

just calling you on your usual lies and bullshit chap

No biggie

just calling you on your usual lies and bullshit chap "

No biggie .

Actually this is the longest period without a recession in 100 years, your correct though they average 4-7 year cycles

Really?

How many recessions were there. Between 1945 and when we joined the EEC? And then how many since?"

Do you want a genuine discussion of just trade cheap political points?.

07 to 2000 dot com, 2000 to 1996 1996 to 1988 1988 to 1982 82 to 77,77 to 73....

There mostly debt linked but there is some like the mid 70s which were energy price linked, then there's the golden age from 45-60 only one mild recession in the middle but there was the fact we were rebuilding the entire of Europe which we'd just blown up, then there was the great depression from 28 to 39 the little depression in the early 20s the banking crises of the early 1900s which lead to the formation of the fed bank in 13 I think.

And then there's the major depressions which come along about every 70 years, the reason they think is behind that is the three generation rule where it takes about 3 generations to forget the mistakes that had already been made and then replicate them.

Trying to tie politics to recessions is just pointless, no political leaders on either side can negate them, sure you can ease them better like FDR eased the states out of the great depression with his new deal policies.

Business is speculative and speculation requires peaks and troughs, its as simple as that

Derby

No biggie .

Really?

How many recessions were there. Between 1945 and when we joined the EEC? And then how many since?.

07 to 2000 dot com, 2000 to 1996 1996 to 1988 1988 to 1982 82 to 77,77 to 73....

There mostly debt linked but there is some like the mid 70s which were energy price linked, then there's the golden age from 45-60 only one mild recession in the middle but there was the fact we were rebuilding the entire of Europe which we'd just blown up, then there was the great depression from 28 to 39 the little depression in the early 20s the banking crises of the early 1900s which lead to the formation of the fed bank in 13 I think.

And then there's the major depressions which come along about every 70 years, the reason they think is behind that is the three generation rule where it takes about 3 generations to forget the mistakes that had already been made and then replicate them.

Trying to tie politics to recessions is just pointless, no political leaders on either side can negate them, sure you can ease them better like FDR eased the states out of the great depression with his new deal policies.

Business is speculative and speculation requires peaks and troughs, its as simple as that"

I'm actually truing to have a discussion.

Trade cheap political points? That's rich coming from you!

So basically there were two very mild recessions, where there were no job losses, between the end of the second world war and 1972. 2 in 27 years. One every 13 years.

And 5 between 1973 and 2017. 5 in 44 years. One every 9 years.

So, not every 4 to 7 years then. And not the longest period without a recession in the last century either.

Although we are due one, and it won't be because of being in the EU or leaving the EU.

No biggie .

Really?

How many recessions were there. Between 1945 and when we joined the EEC? And then how many since?.

Business is speculative and speculation requires peaks and troughs, its as simple as that

So basically there were two very mild recessions, where there were no job losses, between the end of the second world war and 1972. 2 in 27 years. One every 13 years.

So, not every 4 to 7 years then. And not the longest period without a recession in the last century either.

Although we are due one, and it won't be because of being in the EU or leaving the EU.

"

Oh well, shall we blow up the whole of Europe and reduce our populations by 30% then...I mean it worked so well post ww2 for having no job losses .

Derby

No biggie .

Really?

Oh well, shall we blow up the whole of Europe and reduce our populations by 30% then...I mean it worked so well post ww2 for having no job losses .

"

And shall we stop lying about there being a recession every 4 to 7 years then....or do you not want facts to get in the way of your political point scoring efforts?

No biggie .

Really?

And shall we stop lying about there being a recession every 4 to 7 years then....or do you not want facts to get in the way of your political point scoring efforts?"

Have you tried taking the years we were in recession away from your figure of 44 or do you want to count years that we were in recession against having a recession?.

Take those years off and see what you average then?.

I'll give you a statistic for right wing political bullshit economic miracles...

In 1980 Britain had a 50% private debt to GDP ratio.

By the time new labour (they also believed in right wing bullshit economic theory) came to pass in 07 ...

Private debt was just shy of 200% of GDP.

See that 150% of debt... That's your economic miracle, see that debt, that's what you moan about getting too much off, see that debt, that's what you just spent 750% of state debt bailing out, see that debt.... No I don't think you do,do you?

I sometimes forget why I'm an anarchist.... And then I remembered

Well nobodys got back to me on that point.

Its amazing how many people constantly tell me how unaffordable state debt of 80% to GDP is, how the government could barely afford to repay it if interests rates go up 1%... Yet somehow think 200% of private debt to GDP is fine!!

"Well nobodys got back to me on that point.

Its amazing how many people constantly tell me how unaffordable state debt of 80% to GDP is, how the government could barely afford to repay it if interests rates go up 1%... Yet somehow think 200% of private debt to GDP is fine!! "

Its one of the reasons the pound has been devalued from what ive read.

"Well nobodys got back to me on that point.

Its amazing how many people constantly tell me how unaffordable state debt of 80% to GDP is, how the government could barely afford to repay it if interests rates go up 1%... Yet somehow think 200% of private debt to GDP is fine!! Its one of the reasons the pound has been devalued from what ive read."

I hear talk on here that a 5% drop in GDP will be a disaster beyond our wildest dreams.... And i always think are you fucking kidding me, we've got 150% of GDP in private debt, that debt is what we've been living on for forty years under this bullshit right wing trickle down we can all be computer programmers lets live off financial tax receipts nonsense...

Frankly I can't fucking wait for the Armageddon to hit so I can pitch fork the fuckwits that got us in this mess

By *easingTimMan  over a year ago

Loughlinstown

"How are you going to protect yourself from the upcoming recession ?"

-------------------

"History doesn't repeat itself but it always rhymes"

Peaks and troughs will always occur in any market, it's inevitable really... Thankfully the internet and books are there for anyone who wants to read about the 1929 Wall Street or The Weimar Republic and what the few versus the many did back then. Different times but exact same fundamentals apply only this time on a bigger scale...

Anyway, it's Saturday night so feet up and beer for now

» Add a new message to this topic