FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > The UK is not that great a country

The UK is not that great a country

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *asyuk OP   Man  over a year ago

West London

Google "The Newsroom America not the greatest country".

Substitute US for UK.

We are where we are because many of us haven't worked out that we are not who we think we are and the world doesn't think of us the way we think that they do.

What do we do that makes us "great"? What does the world want that only we can give them?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Marmite and Worcestershire sauce?

By *icklybitMan  over a year ago

Ayrshire

[Removed by poster at 28/08/17 10:12:02]

Ayrshire

[Removed by poster at 28/08/17 10:15:28]

Ayrshire

Sorry about the previous posts.

I don't know exactly what the OP is after, but there is a list of products here that may or may not help.

It's wiki I,m afraid, but there is something similar on the EU site. But I couldn't be arsed looking good for it. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom_food_and_drink_products_with_protected_status

West London

"Sorry about the previous posts.

I don't know exactly what the OP is after, but there is a list of products here that may or may not help.

It's wiki I,m afraid, but there is something similar on the EU site. But I couldn't be arsed looking good for it. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom_food_and_drink_products_with_protected_status

"

The intention was really to see what actually defines us as a country other than buying stuff and going on holiday?

What do we do that makes us useful to the world and therefore able to go it alone in the globalised economy?

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

The intention was really to see what actually defines us as a country other than buying stuff and going on holiday?

What do we do that makes us useful to the world and therefore able to go it alone in the globalised economy?"

Isn't there more to being useful to the world than contributing to the global economy?

West London

What do we do that makes us useful to the world and therefore able to go it alone in the globalised economy?

Isn't there more to being useful to the world than contributing to the global economy? "

There is.

Substitute globalised economy for interconnected world.

Regardless, more is achieved in conjunction with others than on your own. Especially when confronted with individual superpowers such as the USA, China, India or the EU.

Cambridge

Isn't there more to being useful to the world than contributing to the global economy?

There is.

Substitute globalised economy for interconnected world.

Regardless, more is achieved in conjunction with others than on your own. Especially when confronted with individual superpowers such as the USA, China, India or the EU."

Teamwork makes the dream work!

This country is great and I do not need to justify myself. Others need to try to prove why it isn't, which they wont be able to

West London

"This country is great and I do not need to justify myself. Others need to try to prove why it isn't, which they wont be able to "

Amusing

West London

"This country is great and I do not need to justify myself. Others need to try to prove why it isn't, which they wont be able to "

Incidentally, did you actually take the time to watch the clip?

I guess you all realise the great in great britain comes from us being greater(bigger) than the other Britain as in Brittany in what is now northern france.Historically it only refers to England and Wales.

"I guess you all realise the great in great britain comes from us being greater(bigger) than the other Britain as in Brittany in what is now northern france.Historically it only refers to England and Wales."

Not quite - the island of Great Britain is thus named because it's the largest of the British Isles, which contains Great Britain, Ireland, and about a thousand smaller islands.

By *ary_ArgyllMan  over a year ago

Argyll

We've got one and a half aircraft carriers!

"We've got one and a half aircraft carriers!"

And no planes

Ayrshire

It is planned to get them in spring next year.

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

[Removed by poster at 29/08/17 14:27:29]

Cannock

Bitter remoaners like the OP looking for ways to talk the country down are a joke. I pity them. The UK is near the top of the list if not the top of the list when it comes to soft power all around the world. I think that shows how much we as a nation are thought of around the world and how much influence we have around the world. Our soft power standing in the world won't change because we leave some shitty club called the EU. In fact I think our soft power and influence around the world will now increase post Brexit once we start signing new trade deals with many countries worldwide and rein gauging with the commonwealth.

"This country is great and I do not need to justify myself. Others need to try to prove why it isn't, which they wont be able to

Bitter remoaners like the OP looking for ways to talk the country down are a joke. I pity them. The UK is near the top of the list if not the top of the list when it comes to soft power all around the world. I think that shows how much we as a nation are thought of around the world and how much influence we have around the world. Our soft power standing in the world won't change because we leave some shitty club called the EU. In fact I think our soft power and influence around the world will now increase post Brexit once we start signing new trade deals with many countries worldwide and rein gauging with the commonwealth. "

You dont half talk a load of cobblers

Cannock

"This country is great and I do not need to justify myself. Others need to try to prove why it isn't, which they wont be able to

Bitter remoaners like the OP looking for ways to talk the country down are a joke. I pity them. The UK is near the top of the list if not the top of the list when it comes to soft power all around the world. I think that shows how much we as a nation are thought of around the world and how much influence we have around the world. Our soft power standing in the world won't change because we leave some shitty club called the EU. In fact I think our soft power and influence around the world will now increase post Brexit once we start signing new trade deals with many countries worldwide and rein gauging with the commonwealth.

You dont half talk a load of cobblers "

All you ever do is troll.

All you ever do is troll. "

Well if you call trolling speaking the truth then yes i suppose i do...BUT yet again you post with no back up or links again

By *unforus1965Couple  over a year ago

MIDLANDS

Bitter remoaners like the OP looking for ways to talk the country down are a joke. I pity them. The UK is near the top of the list if not the top of the list when it comes to soft power all around the world. I think that shows how much we as a nation are thought of around the world and how much influence we have around the world. Our soft power standing in the world won't change because we leave some shitty club called the EU. In fact I think our soft power and influence around the world will now increase post Brexit once we start signing new trade deals with many countries worldwide and rein gauging with the commonwealth. "

We look forward to seeing some of thse great new trade deals signed.

We will then see what this Country's real worth is to the other powers of this world.

Cannock

All you ever do is troll.

Well if you call trolling speaking the truth then yes i suppose i do...BUT yet again you post with no back up or links again "

It's very easy to use Google or other search engines to check what people say on here. Then again though if you're a lazy person with a lazy attitude I can see why that may be hard for you if it's too much effort for you to type a few words into Google. Links often get met with sarcastic remarks anyway so what is the point? It's a forum on a sex site at the end of the day for a bit of fun, maybe you're taking it too seriously?

Cannock

We will then see what this Country's real worth is to the other powers of this world."

We will indeed and not only the soft power factor will come into play as the world's 5th largest economy I expect we'll do rather well in getting good new trade deals. We are also rather generous when it comes to giving foreign aid so again yet another thing that will go in our favour when getting good new trade deals around the world. Professor of economics at Cardiff business school and ex government economic advisor Patrick Minford said last week that he expects the UK to be around £130 billion better off from Brexit through deregulation and new trade deals being signed. Economics expert and advisor to the Commons Treasury select committee Roger Bootle said in a report last week backed by 15 other experts that the UK will be much better off economically once we are out of the EU and trading out on our own In the global market rather than being shackled and hamstrung by a relatively small part of the world, namely the EU.

MIDLANDS

We will then see what this Country's real worth is to the other powers of this world.

We will indeed and not only the soft power factor will come into play as the world's 5th largest economy I expect we'll do rather well in getting good new trade deals. We are also rather generous when it comes to giving foreign aid so again yet another thing that will go in our favour when getting good new trade deals around the world. Professor of economics at Cardiff business school and ex government economic advisor Patrick Minford said last week that he expects the UK to be around £130 billion better off from Brexit through deregulation and new trade deals being signed. Economics expert and advisor to the Commons Treasury select committee Roger Bootle said in a report last week backed by 15 other experts that the UK will be much better off economically once we are out of the EU and trading out on our own In the global market rather than being shackled and hamstrung by a relatively small part of the world, namely the EU. "

Again we look forward to all this coming to fruition.

It is now time for action to start and irrelevant of how anyone voted we think we are all looking forward to what the new future will have for us all.

Let's hope for all our sake's it works out the way it should.

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

Cambridge

We will indeed and not only the soft power factor will come into play as the world's 5th largest economy I expect we'll do rather well in getting good new trade deals. We are also rather generous when it comes to giving foreign aid so again yet another thing that will go in our favour when getting good new trade deals around the world. Professor of economics at Cardiff business school and ex government economic advisor Patrick Minford said last week that he expects the UK to be around £130 billion better off from Brexit through deregulation and new trade deals being signed. Economics expert and advisor to the Commons Treasury select committee Roger Bootle said in a report last week backed by 15 other experts that the UK will be much better off economically once we are out of the EU and trading out on our own In the global market rather than being shackled and hamstrung by a relatively small part of the world, namely the EU.

It is now time for action to start and irrelevant of how anyone voted we think we are all looking forward to what the new future will have for us all.

Let's hope for all our sake's it works out the way it should."

Is it working out as you had envisioned so far?

Cannock

Is it working out as you had envisioned so far? "

We haven't left yet.

Cambridge

Is it working out as you had envisioned so far?

We haven't left yet. "

Thanks for pointing that out. The question stands though. Is it working out as they had envisioned so far?

We will indeed and not only the soft power factor will come into play as the world's 5th largest economy I expect we'll do rather well in getting good new trade deals. We are also rather generous when it comes to giving foreign aid so again yet another thing that will go in our favour when getting good new trade deals around the world. Professor of economics at Cardiff business school and ex government economic advisor Patrick Minford said last week that he expects the UK to be around £130 billion better off from Brexit through deregulation and new trade deals being signed. Economics expert and advisor to the Commons Treasury select committee Roger Bootle said in a report last week backed by 15 other experts that the UK will be much better off economically once we are out of the EU and trading out on our own In the global market rather than being shackled and hamstrung by a relatively small part of the world, namely the EU. "

Am i not the only one thats thinks the brexit team we have don't have a clue....or is it just those pesky Europeans on the EU negotiating team thinking that way seen as there now openly criticising Davis and his motley crew....i think Barnier is basically saying they don't...

" Our soft power standing in the world won't change because we leave some shitty club called the EU."

It's good that you spelled out what club you were referring to. We might not have got it otherwise.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"

Am i not the only one thats thinks the brexit team we have don't have a clue....or is it just those pesky Europeans on the EU negotiating team thinking that way seen as there now openly criticising Davis and his motley crew....i think Barnier is basically saying they don't... "

It is embarrassing. As news slips out day by day it feels like the UK negotiators are winging it.

I actually think that that the UK team have been unable to decide yet what they want and therefore are not putting forward a convincing and coherent argument. The issue at the heart of this is that the Brexit team, the Conservative Party, Parliament and the country are totally divided and therefore they (on behalf of us) can't push an agenda with any conviction.

West London

Did you watch the video before commenting? Just out of interest.

I watched the video, thought about it and decided that it drew some parallels with the UK.Where would you disagree other than the nation-specific statistics at the end?

Out of interest, should the UK then continue to spend 0.7% of GDP on foreign aid?

Cambridge

"

Am i not the only one thats thinks the brexit team we have don't have a clue....or is it just those pesky Europeans on the EU negotiating team thinking that way seen as there now openly criticising Davis and his motley crew....i think Barnier is basically saying they don't...

It is embarrassing. As news slips out day by day it feels like the UK negotiators are winging it.

I actually think that that the UK team have been unable to decide yet what they want and therefore are not putting forward a convincing and coherent argument. The issue at the heart of this is that the Brexit team, the Conservative Party, Parliament and the country are totally divided and therefore they (on behalf of us) can't push an agenda with any conviction."

Thats because they are still lying to themselves and to the public about what is possible and what is pure fantasy.

By *lixerMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

The UK doesn't work and can't be fixed. What we do best in ALL of these islands is culture in all its guises.

West London

"The UK doesn't work and can't be fixed. What we do best in ALL of these islands is culture in all its guises. "

I think that you may well be right that our only unique offering may be cultural, but how much of that outside the stereotypical cream teas and stately homes is actually down to international engagement?

Art, film, music, video gaming...

I do happen to think that there is still a huge hangover of potential in science, technology and engineering through our highly rated universities, but we have been signalling very clearly through the Brexit vote that we don't like foreigners nor do we want foreign students.

It doesn't matter what Brexiteers claim. That's the message that has been heard.

"The UK doesn't work and can't be fixed. What we do best in ALL of these islands is culture in all its guises.

I think that you may well be right that our only unique offering may be cultural, but how much of that outside the stereotypical cream teas and stately homes is actually down to international engagement?

I do happen to think that there is still a huge hangover of potential in science, technology and engineering through our highly rated universities, but we have been signalling very clearly through the Brexit vote that we don't like foreigners nor do we want foreign students.

It doesn't matter what Brexiteers claim. That's the message that has been heard."

I would argue we could be the most technologically advanced and innovative nation on earth if our useless politicians invested in research and development. They wont though and everything we invent gets developed by others.We've been slowly falling down the pecking order of nations for the last 100 years.The only way is down.

"Out of interest, should the UK then continue to spend 0.7% of GDP on foreign aid?"

Yes.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"The UK doesn't work and can't be fixed. What we do best in ALL of these islands is culture in all its guises.

It doesn't matter what Brexiteers claim. That's the message that has been heard. I would argue we could be the most technologically advanced and innovative nation on earth if our useless politicians invested in research and development. They wont though and everything we invent gets developed by others.We've been slowly falling down the pecking order of nations for the last 100 years.The only way is down."

Aviation is one industry that seriously lost its way in the post war era. It ought to be a national embarrassment how the UK has been left behind.

At the upper end of the scale we currently have an involvement in the Airbus project but we don't know what the Brexit effect will be on that arrangement and at the lower end we have Mainair and a few small businesses that are involved in ultralight aviation. It is really unfortunate that the UK has been left behind in the field of aviation but the blame lies firmly with ourselves and the regulatory burden that was imposed by successive governments over the years.

It doesn't matter what Brexiteers claim. That's the message that has been heard. I would argue we could be the most technologically advanced and innovative nation on earth if our useless politicians invested in research and development. They wont though and everything we invent gets developed by others.We've been slowly falling down the pecking order of nations for the last 100 years.The only way is down.

Aviation is one industry that seriously lost its way in the post war era. It ought to be a national embarrassment how the UK has been left behind.

At the upper end of the scale we currently have an involvement in the Airbus project but we don't know what the Brexit effect will be on that arrangement and at the lower end we have Mainair and a few small businesses that are involved in ultralight aviation. It is really unfortunate that the UK has been left behind in the field of aviation but the blame lies firmly with ourselves and the regulatory burden that was imposed by successive governments over the years.

"

But...we do have the best football league in the world!!...i wonder what or who its down to...aha right these pesky foreigners

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

It doesn't matter what Brexiteers claim. That's the message that has been heard. I would argue we could be the most technologically advanced and innovative nation on earth if our useless politicians invested in research and development. They wont though and everything we invent gets developed by others.We've been slowly falling down the pecking order of nations for the last 100 years.The only way is down.

"

The UK aviation business is the 4th biggest in the world!

And whilst we may not be the biggest, we are certainly very good at what we do!

"

We invented the jet engine. A British company has invented the next generation jey engine .The sabre engine which is capable of getting into space.The US miltary is going to build a prototype based on it .We discovered graphene the wonder material that has incredible potential.

The reason britain was great in the past is because we invented and sold innovation to the world.

To be at the top we must build and inovate products the world needs.We've lost sight of how to be on top.

By *unandbuckCouple  over a year ago

Sheffield

The link is a tv show, all actors.

But anyway, I don't know if we are the greatest country in the world. But, for our size we have contributed massively to the inventiveness of the world in engineering and the sciences, and continue to do so.

What country of comparative size has a history like ours?

OP, what country do you think is 'great' , or greater than the UK?

The funny thing about the sabre prototype is that it is, or at least was, being overseen by the ESA, using all that collective experience and knowledge making sure that it's actually viable.

Of course, that's all up in the air now, pardon the pun, because there's a slim majority of halfwits who don't like the "wrong kind" of foreign people.

thornaby

"The funny thing about the sabre prototype is that it is, or at least was, being overseen by the ESA, using all that collective experience and knowledge making sure that it's actually viable.

Of course, that's all up in the air now, pardon the pun, because there's a slim majority of halfwits who don't like the "wrong kind" of foreign people."

. And there it is HALFWITS wondered how long it would be for a dig wtf

"The funny thing about the sabre prototype is that it is, or at least was, being overseen by the ESA, using all that collective experience and knowledge making sure that it's actually viable.

Of course, that's all up in the air now, pardon the pun, because there's a slim majority of halfwits who don't like the "wrong kind" of foreign people.. And there it is HALFWITS wondered how long it would be for a dig wtf "

Sorry to have kept you waiting.

Cambridge

Of course, that's all up in the air now, pardon the pun, because there's a slim majority of halfwits who don't like the "wrong kind" of foreign people."

The European Space Agency isn't a part of the EU, like the European Court of Human Rights, its a completely seperate agency, although funily enough most Brexiters get more upset about ECHR rulings that ECJ rulings.

thornaby

Lol don't worry your not the only Irish guy who likes to have digs at the uk on fab bless ya

We do rely on expertise from outside the UK and brexit is not helping us becone world leaders. I Mentioned graphene above here's an article that explains some of the consequences of brexit for research and development .

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/brexit-latest-scientist-andre-geim-graphene-discovery-university-manchester-eu-exit-withdrawal-a7886416.html

Of course, that's all up in the air now, pardon the pun, because there's a slim majority of halfwits who don't like the "wrong kind" of foreign people.

The European Space Agency isn't a part of the EU, like the European Court of Human Rights, its a completely seperate agency, although funily enough most Brexiters get more upset about ECHR rulings that ECJ rulings. "

Yes, but as a consequence of brexit the UK will have to renegotiate its involvement with the ESA and could well be locked out of some programs altogether. Copernicus being the main example.

And let's not forget that Euratom isn't an EU institution either, but that hasn't stopped ministers insisting that the UK must leave it too.

"Lol don't worry your not the only Irish guy who likes to have digs at the uk on fab bless ya "

I'm quite fond of the UK, lived there for ages and always thought of it as the place I might finally end up living long term, but morons are morons, regardless of where they come from, and deserve to be called as such.

thornaby

OMG lmao so because 17.4million ppl

Did not agree with you they are morons lol

Cambridge

"OMG lmao so because 17.4million ppl

Did not agree with you they are morons lol"

I don't think DemonJohn was suggesting that they were morons for disagreeing with him. I think he may have been suggesting they were morons for ignoring NATO, RUSI, GCHQ, BoE, the NHS, academia, IFS, CBI, TUC, and a whole list of others.

thornaby

It doesn't really matter how long your list is does it everytime there is some sort of vote and ppl don't vote the same as you you can't call them morons Other wise what is the point of a vote it's called democracy no need to constantly slagging ppl of I voted leave does that realy give anyone the right to call me a moron

No matter how many people were involved it doesn't make a stupid decision any less so.

thornaby

Only time will tell that tho won't it and can I ask why yr so upset over it your Irish I'm sure your great country doesn't need the uk you will flourish with out a country full of morons I'm sure

"Only time will tell that tho won't it and can I ask why yr so upset over it your Irish I'm sure your great country doesn't need the uk you will flourish with out a country full of morons I'm sure "

Well, no.

That the UK may, eventually, claw its way out of this hole won't undo the bloody minded stupidity that got the UK into said hole in the first place.

As for your second question, if you remember a few posts ago I pointed out I have lived in the UK for a long time, so I am invested in the wellbeing of the people I know still living there and how they're getting fucked by this.

And there's the the wretchedness of having a country that welcomed you once now kowtowing to the kind of miserable people who fear and despise immigrants. Y'know, like me.

That kind of sticks in your craw.

thornaby

Is that realy what u think that over 17 million pp who voted leave despise immigrants and you say you still have friends in the uk chances are half of them are the morons your ranting on about mate

"Is that realy what u think that over 17 million pp who voted leave despise immigrants and you say you still have friends in the uk chances are half of them are the morons your ranting on about mate "

Assuming that because the vote was so close that any given group must also be split 50/50 is folly.

thornaby

As much as assuming all your friends voted how you hoped they would vote just because ppl have different opinions to you does not make them morons just normal decent hardworking ppl with diffrent opinions to you

"As much as assuming all your friends voted how you hoped they would vote just because ppl have different opinions to you does not make them morons just normal decent hardworking ppl with diffrent opinions to you "

You seem to have made the odd assumption that I don't speak to my friends.

And I don't see what about someone being what you judge to be "normal", whatever the fuck that means, or "decent" and "hardworking" makes a stupid decision any less stupid.

thornaby

Normal as not a moron and like I said earlier only time will tell

Cannock

The European Space Agency isn't a part of the EU, like the European Court of Human Rights, its a completely seperate agency, although funily enough most Brexiters get more upset about ECHR rulings that ECJ rulings. "

Good that you can differentiate what is actually part of the EU and what isn't. Maybe you could educate some Remainers and explain to them that the Treaty of Le Touquet is nothing to do with the EU because the remain campaign tried repeatedly to link the Treaty of Le Touquet to the EU and blurr the lines during the EU referendum campaign. It's got nothing to do with the EU and is a separate bilateral arrangement on border controls between France and the UK.

"Normal as not a moron and like I said earlier only time will tell"

And as you've been told, that it all may work out in the end doesn't absolve the morons who voted to take the UK down this path, because when they did they had no idea what they were doing, what they wanted, or how to achieve it.

I think the consequences of brexit arent of importance to those who voted out. Does foxy give a fuck if research into new technologies is held back a decade ?.Does the brexiter care if we are no longer a popular destination for foreign students.

Brexiters are quite prepared for the negatives because they believe in the end it will be very positive and if its not then so what.They took a punt and can legitimately say we were lied to or didnt have the full picture.Its easy to manipulate the masses its what politicians do best.

thornaby

[Removed by poster at 30/08/17 17:35:45]

Cannock

"OMG lmao so because 17.4million ppl

Did not agree with you they are morons lol

I don't think DemonJohn was suggesting that they were morons for disagreeing with him. I think he may have been suggesting they were morons for ignoring NATO, RUSI, GCHQ, BoE, the NHS, academia, IFS, CBI, TUC, and a whole list of others."

Brexiters did listen to experts from those organisations though such as the former governor of the Bank of England Mervyn King who backed Brexit, former director general of the CBI Digby Jones who backed Brexit and former director general of the British Chambers of Commerce John Longworth who backed Brexit. TUC backed Remain the RMT union backed Brexit as did many other unions. High level and high ranking members of the Ministry of Defence and the Met Police backed Brexit it wasn't all One sided as you constantly (and falsely) try to claim on here. Brexiters did listen to experts they just happened to agree with experts who had different opinions and backed Brexit.

thornaby

You said it bob IF research is held back you don't know yet no one does there's a lot of judging going on in here tday by a lot of ppl who would have you believe there outward thinking tolerant ppl there was a vote a yes or a no very simple some voted one way some the other does one side deserve to be called names because the other side did not agree with them ffs guys

Cannock

"You said it bob IF research is held back you don't know yet no one does there's a lot of judging going on in here tday by a lot of ppl who would have you believe there outward thinking tolerant ppl there was a vote a yes or a no very simple some voted one way some the other does one side deserve to be called names because the other side did not agree with them ffs guys "

I'll happily call the other side Remoaners because that's all they are at the end of the day sore losers who can't accept they lost and throw their toys out of their prams on here on a daily basis. No better than toddlers who throw themselves on the floor, scream, bitch and moan and stamp their feet when they can't get their own way.

"You said it bob IF research is held back you don't know yet no one does there's a lot of judging going on in here tday by a lot of ppl who would have you believe there outward thinking tolerant ppl there was a vote a yes or a no very simple some voted one way some the other does one side deserve to be called names because the other side did not agree with them ffs guys "
Exactly your not bothered if it is held back.It is gamble you are prepared to take.Its your right to gamble. I choose not to gamble.

thornaby

I didn't say I wasn't bothered tho did I and yr right it is a gamble but arnt all votes if we don't change we stay the same

"I didn't say I wasn't bothered tho did I and yr right it is a gamble but arnt all votes if we don't change we stay the same "
If you are prepared to gamble on the future you have to be prepared to lose what we have now.I choose to keep things the way they were. I'm not bitter about brexit.I'm angry.Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like a fire it gives me strength to fight

Cambridge

It has ALREADY negatively impacted UK research, do you care?

"You said it bob IF research is held back you don't know yet no one does there's a lot of judging going on in here tday by a lot of ppl who would have you believe there outward thinking tolerant ppl there was a vote a yes or a no very simple some voted one way some the other does one side deserve to be called names because the other side did not agree with them ffs guys

I'll happily call the other side Remoaners because that's all they are at the end of the day sore losers who can't accept they lost and throw their toys out of their prams on here on a daily basis. No better than toddlers who throw themselves on the floor, scream, bitch and moan and stamp their feet when they can't get their own way. "

This line of, what I'm generously going to call, thought never holds any water, because its only the very stupid that would treat a seismic change to the country as if it were something trite like a football match, where dwelling on the result and what it means is bad form.

MIDLANDS

Read this from The Express today:

"Britain's currency tumbled to dresh eight-year lows of 1.075 against the euro before picking up to around 1.079 on Wednesday, as the third round of Brexit talks between Britain's David Davis and Michel Barnier begin.

Experts said currency movements show that markets appear to think Brexit will turn out to be a "shambles"."

Thoughts?

thornaby

"You said it bob IF research is held back you don't know yet no one does there's a lot of judging going on in here tday by a lot of ppl who would have you believe there outward thinking tolerant ppl there was a vote a yes or a no very simple some voted one way some the other does one side deserve to be called names because the other side did not agree with them ffs guys

I'll happily call the other side Remoaners because that's all they are at the end of the day sore losers who can't accept they lost and throw their toys out of their prams on here on a daily basis. No better than toddlers who throw themselves on the floor, scream, bitch and moan and stamp their feet when they can't get their own way.

This line of, what I'm generously going to call, thought never holds any water, because its only the very stupid that would treat a seismic change to the country as if it were something trite like a football match, where dwelling on the result and what it means is bad form."

only the very stupid it's unreal the amount of name calling on here and mostly from the remainers side proud of yrselfs guys yr all so outwardly looking very tolerant none judgemental folk

This line of, what I'm generously going to call, thought never holds any water, because its only the very stupid that would treat a seismic change to the country as if it were something trite like a football match, where dwelling on the result and what it means is bad form. only the very stupid it's unreal the amount of name calling on here and mostly from the remainers side proud of yrselfs guys yr all so outwardly looking very tolerant none judgemental folk "

What, exactly, is the point of this tone policing bullshit?

"Read this from The Express today:

"Britain's currency tumbled to dresh eight-year lows of 1.075 against the euro before picking up to around 1.079 on Wednesday, as the third round of Brexit talks between Britain's David Davis and Michel Barnier begin.

Experts said currency movements show that markets appear to think Brexit will turn out to be a "shambles"."

Thoughts?"

No good posting links some don't believe whats pust in front of there eyes they are4 blind and oblivious to this all...even Barnier is starting to see this with Davis and his motley crew

This line of, what I'm generously going to call, thought never holds any water, because its only the very stupid that would treat a seismic change to the country as if it were something trite like a football match, where dwelling on the result and what it means is bad form. only the very stupid it's unreal the amount of name calling on here and mostly from the remainers side proud of yrselfs guys yr all so outwardly looking very tolerant none judgemental folk "

Brexit has whipped much anger and division.It was always going to be so .We are not all in this togeather foxy .Like i said you gambled on your fate and that of others. Just because your side won doesnt mean its over.Far from it.Its only just begun.I dont think your a moron or stupid.

thornaby

That's fine bob you keep fighting that's your rite to do what you thinks best but not every one is like you on here they won't be happy till we are all strung up for vote ing diffrent for them it's taking a very strange turn on here not all the remainers are as tolerant and open minded as they would like us to believe funny that's exactly how they used to describe the brexiteirs

Cannock

This line of, what I'm generously going to call, thought never holds any water, because its only the very stupid that would treat a seismic change to the country as if it were something trite like a football match, where dwelling on the result and what it means is bad form."

I've said it before on the forums but it appears it needs repeating again for the likes of you. If you think Brexiters are very stupid, and they managed to win the argument and the referendum, how much more stupid does that make you as a Remainer? If you can't beat a bunch of very stupid people in a free and fair referendum then that makes you infinitely more stupid doesn't it.

Cannock

Thoughts?

No good posting links some don't believe whats pust in front of there eyes they are4 blind and oblivious to this all...even Barnier is starting to see this with Davis and his motley crew "

Barnier is full of shit and is deliberately stalling in the negotiations in the hope that something will change in the uk so that we Remain. Its simply not going to happen, if no deal is reached by March 2019 then we'll just leave without a deal and trade with the EU on WTO terms (many hard Brexiters want this anyway as a clean break with the EU is the purest form of Brexit). The sooner the EU realise this the better. No deal and WTO terms with the EU is not bad for the UK because we can then leave without paying a single penny divorce bill, we can start to sign trade deals around the rest of the world immediately (Donald Trump is just itching to sign a USA-UK trade deal). The EU can't 'punish' us on WTO terms because that is against WTO rules under international law, and the balance of trade deficit means the UK will be quids in on tariff exchanges. Barnier really needs to pull his finger out and get cracking if he wants a deal with the UK at all. The EU position that the Irish border must be resolved before trade talks is ridiculous when trade and flow of goods over the border is fundamental to the settlement, anyone with half a brain can see this but it appears this is too complicated for the EU to understand.

This line of, what I'm generously going to call, thought never holds any water, because its only the very stupid that would treat a seismic change to the country as if it were something trite like a football match, where dwelling on the result and what it means is bad form.

I've said it before on the forums but it appears it needs repeating again for the likes of you. If you think Brexiters are very stupid, and they managed to win the argument and the referendum, how much more stupid does that make you as a Remainer? If you can't beat a bunch of very stupid people in a free and fair referendum then that makes you infinitely more stupid doesn't it. "

That's not the stunning rhetorical flourish you think it is.

Crowds aren't known for their ability to be reasoned with, that a slight majority of the people who bothered to vote chose the stupid option casts no aspirations on the people who didn't.

It's telling that the response to brexit continuing to be a woeful shitstorm is to assume everyone is out to get plucky ol' blighty.

Petulant children began this mess, and apparently they're committed to making sure that 'winning' tact is maintain right up until the bitter end.

Though if you're stupid enough to believe that any deal brokered by Donald Trump, the man who thinks trade is a zero sum game, will be worth a shit, if it ever happens... Well I've a lovely bridge to sell you.

Cannock

"It's telling that the response to brexit continuing to be a woeful shitstorm is to assume everyone is out to get plucky ol' blighty.

Petulant children began this mess, and apparently they're committed to making sure that 'winning' tact is maintain right up until the bitter end.

Though if you're stupid enough to believe that any deal brokered by Donald Trump, the man who thinks trade is a zero sum game, will be worth a shit, if it ever happens... Well I've a lovely bridge to sell you. "

Your posts really should come with loud Farting sound effects, it really would give the finishing touch to the crap you write on here. Oh and by the way its not just Donald Trump who wants a trade deal with the UK after Brexit, international trade secretary Liam Fox has a list of 27 other countries who have either outright said they want a trade deal with the UK or indicated they want a trade deal with the UK after Brexit. I would list them but it'd just go in one ear and out the other with the likes of you.

I've said it before on the forums but it appears it needs repeating again for the likes of you. If you think Brexiters are very stupid, and they managed to win the argument and the referendum, how much more stupid does that make you as a Remainer? If you can't beat a bunch of very stupid people in a free and fair referendum then that makes you infinitely more stupid doesn't it. "

Smoke and mirrors thats how they won....people like your hero Farge lied fill stop

Thoughts?

No good posting links some don't believe whats pust in front of there eyes they are4 blind and oblivious to this all...even Barnier is starting to see this with Davis and his motley crew

Barnier is full of shit and is deliberately stalling in the negotiations in the hope that something will change in the uk so that we Remain. Its simply not going to happen, if no deal is reached by March 2019 then we'll just leave without a deal and trade with the EU on WTO terms (many hard Brexiters want this anyway as a clean break with the EU is the purest form of Brexit). The sooner the EU realise this the better. No deal and WTO terms with the EU is not bad for the UK because we can then leave without paying a single penny divorce bill, we can start to sign trade deals around the rest of the world immediately (Donald Trump is just itching to sign a USA-UK trade deal). The EU can't 'punish' us on WTO terms because that is against WTO rules under international law, and the balance of trade deficit means the UK will be quids in on tariff exchanges. Barnier really needs to pull his finger out and get cracking if he wants a deal with the UK at all. The EU position that the Irish border must be resolved before trade talks is ridiculous when trade and flow of goods over the border is fundamental to the settlement, anyone with half a brain can see this but it appears this is too complicated for the EU to understand. "

It was blatantly obvious to everyone apart from you that Davis and his motley crew wasn't organised once they were pictured at empty desks in the negotiations...you tried then to cover up for them then

"It's telling that the response to brexit continuing to be a woeful shitstorm is to assume everyone is out to get plucky ol' blighty.

Though if you're stupid enough to believe that any deal brokered by Donald Trump, the man who thinks trade is a zero sum game, will be worth a shit, if it ever happens... Well I've a lovely bridge to sell you.

Your posts really should come with loud Farting sound effects, it really would give the finishing touch to the crap you write on here. Oh and by the way its not just Donald Trump who wants a trade deal with the UK after Brexit, international trade secretary Liam Fox has a list of 27 other countries who have either outright said they want a trade deal with the UK or indicated they want a trade deal with the UK after Brexit. I would list them but it'd just go in one ear and out the other with the likes of you. "

Yes. I'm certain such a list exists.

But here's the rub - these deals have to be negotiated, so assuming that these will be more beneficial than deals the UK would have had access to as part of the EU bloc is getting ahead of yourself, isn't it.

And given the current form of the UK negotiations... Well, I'm certain it'll be fine.

After all, we know that brexit cannot fail, it can only be failed.

Isn't that right?

Cannock

Your posts really should come with loud Farting sound effects, it really would give the finishing touch to the crap you write on here. Oh and by the way its not just Donald Trump who wants a trade deal with the UK after Brexit, international trade secretary Liam Fox has a list of 27 other countries who have either outright said they want a trade deal with the UK or indicated they want a trade deal with the UK after Brexit. I would list them but it'd just go in one ear and out the other with the likes of you.

But here's the rub - these deals have to be negotiated, so assuming that these will be more beneficial than deals the UK would have had access to as part of the EU bloc is getting ahead of yourself, isn't it.

And given the current form of the UK negotiations... Well, I'm certain it'll be fine.

Isn't that right? "

The EU is notoriously bad at negotiating trade deals. Not only do they take forever and a day (the Canada one took around a decade didn't it while the EU 27 squabble like rats in a sack about the terms) but they have very few compared to other smaller countries (Switzerland not in the EU and has more trade deals than the EU). Looks like the UK may decide to walk away without a deal after all on the news now UK Brexit officials have released a public statement saying "EU counterparts are incapable of conducting Brexit negotiations".

Isn't that right?

The EU is notoriously bad at negotiating trade deals. Not only do they take forever and a day (the Canada one took around a decade didn't it while the EU 27 squabble like rats in a sack about the terms) but they have very few compared to other smaller countries (Switzerland not in the EU and has more trade deals than the EU). Looks like the UK may decide to walk away without a deal after all on the news now UK Brexit officials have released a public statement saying "EU counterparts are incapable of conducting Brexit negotiations". "

Haha you are kidding about Switzerland lol...is that the best you can come up with

Cannock

Thoughts?

Barnier is full of shit and is deliberately stalling in the negotiations in the hope that something will change in the uk so that we Remain. Its simply not going to happen, if no deal is reached by March 2019 then we'll just leave without a deal and trade with the EU on WTO terms (many hard Brexiters want this anyway as a clean break with the EU is the purest form of Brexit). The sooner the EU realise this the better. No deal and WTO terms with the EU is not bad for the UK because we can then leave without paying a single penny divorce bill, we can start to sign trade deals around the rest of the world immediately (Donald Trump is just itching to sign a USA-UK trade deal). The EU can't 'punish' us on WTO terms because that is against WTO rules under international law, and the balance of trade deficit means the UK will be quids in on tariff exchanges. Barnier really needs to pull his finger out and get cracking if he wants a deal with the UK at all. The EU position that the Irish border must be resolved before trade talks is ridiculous when trade and flow of goods over the border is fundamental to the settlement, anyone with half a brain can see this but it appears this is too complicated for the EU to understand.

You poor deluded fool "

You were saying? Seems the UK Brexit team are along with my line of thinking as they released a public statement about an hour ago saying "EU counterparts are incapable of conducting Brexit negotiations".

Cannock

Isn't that right?

The EU is notoriously bad at negotiating trade deals. Not only do they take forever and a day (the Canada one took around a decade didn't it while the EU 27 squabble like rats in a sack about the terms) but they have very few compared to other smaller countries (Switzerland not in the EU and has more trade deals than the EU). Looks like the UK may decide to walk away without a deal after all on the news now UK Brexit officials have released a public statement saying "EU counterparts are incapable of conducting Brexit negotiations".

Haha you are kidding about Switzerland lol...is that the best you can come up with "

Easily checked on Google and Wikipedia. Oh I forgot you are too lazy to use Google aren't you.

Cambridge

Thoughts?

You poor deluded fool

You were saying? Seems the UK Brexit team are along with my line of thinking as they released a public statement about an hour ago saying "EU counterparts are incapable of conducting Brexit negotiations". "

Right..... so who are the UK doing to negotiate with then?

Thoughts?

You poor deluded fool

You were saying? Seems the UK Brexit team are along with my line of thinking as they released a public statement about an hour ago saying "EU counterparts are incapable of conducting Brexit negotiations". "

Well they would do after first being accused of incompetence....i know who i believe and its not the strong and stable we have negotiating for...or the ones that have caved in to everyone of the EU's list of points....who do you believe

Isn't that right?

Haha you are kidding about Switzerland lol...is that the best you can come up with

Easily checked on Google and Wikipedia. Oh I forgot you are too lazy to use Google aren't you.

"

Well i have provided links to substantiate my comments i cant recall seeing anything from you apart from rhetoric

Isn't that right?

The EU is notoriously bad at negotiating trade deals. Not only do they take forever and a day (the Canada one took around a decade didn't it while the EU 27 squabble like rats in a sack about the terms) but they have very few compared to other smaller countries (Switzerland not in the EU and has more trade deals than the EU). Looks like the UK may decide to walk away without a deal after all on the news now UK Brexit officials have released a public statement saying "EU counterparts are incapable of conducting Brexit negotiations". "

Volume nor speed are indicative of the quality of trade deals, so using these as metrics to judge the EU as "notoriously bad" is simple wishful thinking on your part.

And even if we took all that as being true, it doesn't do anything to change the fact that these trade deals are to be negotiated, so the question of whether or not these deals would be more beneficial to the UK than what the UK is forsaking by proceeding with brexit remains unanswered.

Given their antics at the brexit negotiation table, I wouldn't be holding my breath.

And speaking of - claiming your counterparts are incapable of the task at hand... Well, if they project any harder then I guess they can be used to screen films about innovative British jams and marmalades at future trade negotiations.

West London

So has anyone actually watched the video and have an opinion on it, or is this being taken as an opportunity to parrot the normal gibberish jabber?

By *unandbuckCouple  over a year ago

Sheffield

"So has anyone actually watched the video and have an opinion on it, or is this being taken as an opportunity to parrot the normal gibberish jabber? "

I watched it. But it's actors feigning reactions. It just seems too staged to be meaningfull.

OP, do you think the uk is great? Or what countries do you consider to be great and why?

It's classic Sorkin, so being overwrought is kinda the point.

"So has anyone actually watched the video and have an opinion on it, or is this being taken as an opportunity to parrot the normal gibberish jabber? "
Yeah i watched it years ago .I always thought if you have to say your great you're not.Its hubris. That nationalism and patriotism and flag waving shit that we are expected to parrot is nonsense.You're only as great as your actions and your moral compass right here right fucking now.

I saw it during brexit.All those memes saying our soldiers died in fields of europe and theyd all want out of the EU apparently .These fuckers taking pride in shit they didn't take part in.Its all bullshit to whip up nationalism.

West London

It is, of course, drama.

It does make a point though. What are our dreams? Apparently for 52% of us it's to not be part of something. It's to get more for ourselves.

Are we going all out to fund science, engineering, art, literature, philosophy? Do children aspire to this? To knowledge? Do we actually appreciate anything that we have?

Go to a dirt poor country ravaged by war and famine and this is all they aspire to.

We watch talent shows and "reality" shows and "celebrity" shows and get angry because The Sun and the Daily Mail and our Facebook feed tells us to.

Precious few Brexit supporters have shown any support for the 0.7% foreign aid commitment that is probably the UK's biggest saving grace together with it's genuinely strong commitment to peacekeeping operations.

I don't know enough about other countries and I have no interest in comparing the UK to them.

Integrity is what you do when nobody's looking.

What would we do in 2017? Save a Syrian refugee or watch Strictly Come Dancing?

I'll ask again though. What does make us a great country and what makes us think that we can be one all alone in the world?

Amusing"

Why is it amusing? I believe my country is great, it down to thers to prove otherwise.

You dont half talk a load of cobblers "

Why is it cobblers oldmanseekingyounggirls (or whatever your user name is)? Do you not think your country is great?

Well we must do something that people from other countries like

Or why else do people bypass so many others Country's to try and live here !

Why is it cobblers oldmanseekingyounggirls (or whatever your user name is)? Do you not think your country is great?"

Try my name again esayarse...you seem to have misquoted

Why is it cobblers oldmanseekingyounggirls (or whatever your user name is)? Do you not think your country is great?

Try my name again esayarse...you seem to have misquoted "

Apologies, you could be after young boys. You haven't specified.

What have I misquoted? You used the word "cobblers".

What have I misquoted? You used the word "cobblers". "

Really is that what you think

Really is that what you think "

I am not here to judge, but you did say cobblers.

I am not here to judge, but you did say cobblers."

But you just did judge...or maybe you should refrain....and yes i did use that word....reason being i've seen no evidence of any of these fictitious trade deals thats being banged on about....now if you can provide me any evidence then i'll retract my my comments

But you just did judge...or maybe you should refrain....and yes i did use that word....reason being i've seen no evidence of any of these fictitious trade deals thats being banged on about....now if you can provide me any evidence then i'll retract my my comments "

But you have failed to answer my initial question. Do you mot think your country is great?

But you just did judge...or maybe you should refrain....and yes i did use that word....reason being i've seen no evidence of any of these fictitious trade deals thats being banged on about....now if you can provide me any evidence then i'll retract my my comments

But you have failed to answer my initial question. Do you mot think your country is great?"

Yes i do...im proud of some of my countries achievements....and im also ashamed of some of them....now perhaps you can answer mine?

By *robertsCouple  over a year ago

Leicestershire

MONEY !!!

We put everyone's else's needs above our own and funnily enough we get treated like something they've stood in .

I believe a lot of UK people think along similar lines.

But you have failed to answer my initial question. Do you mot think your country is great?

Yes i do...im proud of some of my countries achievements....and im also ashamed of some of them....now perhaps you can answer mine? "

So why do you try and put down anyone who backs your country then? All the trade deals are 'ficticious' until Brexit is concluded. Centaur pointed out that our country's great standing will be of massive benefit ageeing future trade deals and you put it down as cobblers, meaning you do not think your country is great.

Yes i do...im proud of some of my countries achievements....and im also ashamed of some of them....now perhaps you can answer mine?

So why do you try and put down anyone who backs your country then? All the trade deals are 'ficticious' until Brexit is concluded. Centaur pointed out that our country's great standing will be of massive benefit ageeing future trade deals and you put it down as cobblers, meaning you do not think your country is great."

Because i think they are...and i think his quote is cobblers its the usual stuff plucked from out the air...now maybe you could answer my question....im openminded just like you are...my mind can be changed but id like to see the evidence

thornaby

Some ppl on here love aving digs at there own country they are weird it's like slagging of your own family I don't get it at all

"Some ppl on here love aving digs at there own country they are weird it's like slagging of your own family I don't get it at all "

Just because we live here, dosen't mean we can't see the faults with the way its run...and don't get me started on family....

Cambridge

"Some ppl on here love aving digs at there own country they are weird it's like slagging of your own family I don't get it at all "

If you weren't born in the UK, would you still think the UK was the best country in the world?

thornaby

Clcc first were does it say the uk is best country in the world ? And why would I care what the uk is like if I'm not from here I would say the uk is one of the best country's to live tho otherwise why would so many want to live here

Patriotism is such a negative emotion. It so exclusionary and puts barriers up to all kinds of collaboration and friendship.

Why would you assume that your country was the greatest, when there are nearly 200 nations on this earth.

Why not just accept that every nation has some good points and some negative points. Every great society has had it's great thinkers, writers, engineers, scientists. Is Newton greater than Einstein or Alhazen? Is Shakespeare greater than Goethe or Dostoyevsky? Is Turner greater than Da Vinci or Picasso? Or is it just because they happen to have been born on the same island as you?

Why would anybody feel more pride at the works of Shakespeare or Dickens than Dostoyevsky or Tolstoy? Seems crazy to me?

Cambridge

"Clcc first were does it say the uk is best country in the world ? And why would I care what the uk is like if I'm not from here I would say the uk is one of the best country's to live tho otherwise why would so many want to live here "

The OP is about the "greatest country" that's a synonym for "best country in the world". You appear to be implying that you wouldn't think the UK was either great or the greatest if you weren't born here. The logical conclusion of that is that you being born here is what makes the UK either great or the greatest country in the world.

The VAST majority of the worlds population don't want to live in the UK.

thornaby

"Clcc first were does it say the uk is best country in the world ? And why would I care what the uk is like if I'm not from here I would say the uk is one of the best country's to live tho otherwise why would so many want to live here

The OP is about the "greatest country" that's a synonym for "best country in the world". You appear to be implying that you wouldn't think the UK was either great or the greatest if you weren't born here. The logical conclusion of that is that you being born here is what makes the UK either great or the greatest country in the world.

The VAST majority of the worlds population don't want to live in the UK."

. Lol so does that make the uk a terrible place to live then coz most ppl prefer there own country lol

Cambridge

"Clcc first were does it say the uk is best country in the world ? And why would I care what the uk is like if I'm not from here I would say the uk is one of the best country's to live tho otherwise why would so many want to live here

The VAST majority of the worlds population don't want to live in the UK.. Lol so does that make the uk a terrible place to live then coz most ppl prefer there own country lol"

No, not at all, but you many it sound like most people want to live here, but that's not the case.

West London

I'll ask the question yet again:

'What do we do that makes us "great"? What does the world want that only we can give them?'

If you can't come up with some reasons fine, say so, but it's rather weak trying to reverse the question.

Either you have some conviction in being able to specify what makes the UK the greatest or you have bluster and jingoistic nonsense.

Step up.

Cannock

But you just did judge...or maybe you should refrain....and yes i did use that word....reason being i've seen no evidence of any of these fictitious trade deals thats being banged on about....now if you can provide me any evidence then i'll retract my my comments "

First evidence of the UK's soft power standing in the world...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_power

As you can see on the latest list, Portlands soft power report 2017 puts the UK currently ranked 2nd in the world for soft power. So clearly not cobblers then.

As for the new trade deals we will get after Brexit its been all over the news since the middle of last year, world leader after world leader has come out and publicly said they'd like trade deals with the uk after Brexit, Donald Trump (USA), Malcolm Turnbull (Australia), Bill English (New Zealand), etc and the latest one this week Shinzo Abe (Japan). The international trade secretary Liam Fox has a list of 27 (now 28 with Japan) who want trade deals with the UK post Brexit. You'd have to be living as a hermit in a cave for the last year not to know about this or have seen it on the news.

First evidence of the UK's soft power standing in the world...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_power

As you can see on the latest list, Portlands soft power report 2017 puts the UK currently ranked 2nd in the world for soft power. So clearly not cobblers then.

As for the new trade deals we will get after Brexit its been all over the news since the middle of last year, world leader after world leader has come out and publicly said they'd like trade deals with the uk after Brexit, Donald Trump (USA), Malcolm Turnbull (Australia), Bill English (New Zealand), etc and the latest one this week Shinzo Abe (Japan). The international trade secretary Liam Fox has a list of 27 (now 28 with Japan) who want trade deals with the UK post Brexit. You'd have to be living as a hermit in a cave for the last year not to know about this or have seen it on the news. "

I dont know what your trying to prove with the wiki link...its says if you read our standing has dropped since brexit.

as for these trade deals your always banging on about...

quote "LONDON — Theresa May's hopes for a quick trade deal with Japan after Brexit are set to be dashed as Japanese officials signalled that they are in no rush to enter negotiations with the UK."

http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit-uk-will-not-achieve-quick-trade-deal-with-japan-2017-8

So im guessing its all hot air and bullshit till there delivered...and tbh Liam Fox can say what he likes..if gullible people fall for there lies yet again then there stupid...like i said hot air and rhetoric as per usual...oh and scrum Japan off your list now i've provided you with evidence

Scub not scum

Of course, "these countries want trade deals" isn't quite the same thing as "these countries want trade deals *and* these deals will be better than the ones that the UK would have by virtue of being in the EU" but that's something that gets glossed over when people are desperate to believe in brexit.

"Of course, "these countries want trade deals" isn't quite the same thing as "these countries want trade deals *and* these deals will be better than the ones that the UK would have by virtue of being in the EU" but that's something that gets glossed over when people are desperate to believe in brexit. "

But theres 28 of them...oh wait back to 27 now as Japan said Mays is telling porkies

West London

So far the only concept put forward to justify british greatness is its soft power rating.

I have already acknowledged this as the nation's greatest saving grace together with it's very significant peacekeeping contributions.

As pointed out, this is already diminished. I will ask again if the UK could continue to make it's 0.7% GDP contribution. I say yes. What to the "Britain is great" camp say?

Everyone wants trade deals with everyone else. It multiplies wealth. Except Trump ironically in word and deed.

The question is what terms these deals are negotiated on. That rather depends on what other countries want from us and what we want from them.

So, back to my original question. Beyond this, what does the world want that only we sell or create? What do we do that actually makes us such a big economy? We run on debt fuelled retail. That's fine as the rest of the world is willing to lend to us. As soon as they want their money back what will the UKs new clothes look like?

Accusations of negativity and disloyalty are a little juvenile. If their is an option other then hope then please bring it on!

West London

To everybody - can you all make some effort to be civil please? It requires remarkably little effort

West London

"

The UK aviation business is the 4th biggest in the world!

And whilst we may not be the biggest, we are certainly very good at what we do!"

Aviation or aerospace?

Aviation is the airline industry. Easter and Ryanair have already indicated that they will need to relocate to the EU to guarantee access to the Open skies agreement. It is not at all clear what the status of IAG BA/Iberia is, but it's certainly a European entity.

As far as aerospace is concerned the vast majority of the industry in the UK is represented by Airbus (European conglomerate), Leonardo (Italian) which owns what was Westland helicopters, Eurofighter Typhoon (BAE Systems and European partners) and MBDA (European weapons conglomerate).

We are very good, but the "we" is very broad and both industries are by their nature global and do not have to continue to invest in a specific location of it does not make financial or political sense to.

When the next recession comes around Will you close the factory where your friends live or the one in the country that has publicly declared that they don't like you very much? What keeps them here?

West London

But you have failed to answer my initial question. Do you mot think your country is great?"

I'm not sure you are well placed to demand a direct answer when you posted the first quote above

Fair's fair. Your turn now.

"I guess you all realise the great in great britain comes from us being greater(bigger) than the other Britain as in Brittany in what is now northern france.Historically it only refers to England and Wales.

Not quite - the island of Great Britain is thus named because it's the largest of the British Isles, which contains Great Britain, Ireland, and about a thousand smaller islands.

"

Britanny in French is "Bretagne", Great Britain is Grande-Bretagne.

No country was ever great.

West London

"

Professor of economics at Cardiff business school and ex government economic advisor Patrick Minford said last week that he expects the UK to be around £130 billion better off from Brexit through deregulation and new trade deals being signed. Economics expert and advisor to the Commons Treasury select committee Roger Bootle said in a report last week backed by 15 other experts that the UK will be much better off economically once we are out of the EU and trading out on our own In the global market rather than being shackled and hamstrung by a relatively small part of the world, namely the EU. "

Patrick Minford and 15 other experts? How any other individuals and experts say the opposite?

Here's something to ponder then:

In fact, the researchers found that people who reject scientific consensus on topics such as climate change, vaccine safety, and evolution are generally just as interested in science and as well-educated as the rest of us.

The issue is that when it comes to facts, people think more like lawyers than scientists, which means they 'cherry pick' the facts and studies that back up what they already believe to be true.

So if someone doesn't think humans are causing climate change, they will ignore the hundreds of studies that support that conclusion, but latch onto the one study they can find that casts doubt on this view. This is also known as cognitive bias.

"We find that people will take a flight from facts to protect all kinds of belief including their religious belief, their political beliefs, and even simple personal beliefs such as whether they are good at choosing a web browser," said one of the researchers, Troy Campbell from the University of Oregon.

"People treat facts as relevant more when the facts tend to support their opinions. When the facts are against their opinions, they don't necessarily deny the facts, but they say the facts are less relevant."

Also for the record:

Minford also assumes unilateral removal of all trade barriers by the UK. All

"We will flourish outside the EU".. this will only happen through deregulation, which means your working rights and holidays /pension rights will all come under massive pressures as the UK races for the bottom to undercut the Asian producers. A race to the bottom will make the owners of the Daily Mail richer but me and you ?..........Cannon fodder....I am afraid to say We have jumped on a bucking bronco, be prepared to break some bones if we cannot hang on

So why do you try and put down anyone who backs your country then? All the trade deals are 'ficticious' until Brexit is concluded. Centaur pointed out that our country's great standing will be of massive benefit ageeing future trade deals and you put it down as cobblers, meaning you do not think your country is great.

Because i think they are...and i think his quote is cobblers its the usual stuff plucked from out the air...now maybe you could answer my question....im openminded just like you are...my mind can be changed but id like to see the evidence "

What is your direct question that hasn't been answered? All I see is you putting down your country?

"Some ppl on here love aving digs at there own country they are weird it's like slagging of your own family I don't get it at all

If you weren't born in the UK, would you still think the UK was the best country in the world? "

Putting down your country again CLCC? In what country would you rather live?

I'm not sure you are well placed to demand a direct answer when you posted the first quote above

Fair's fair. Your turn now."

I have answered. In my opinion my country is great. It is down to others to prove it isn't, so knock yourself bandy as you seem to dislike it so much.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

Yet still they come...

thornaby

he's not only one who puts the uk down tho lots on this site it's unreal

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"Yet still they come..."

The migrants that I know and talk to, think that this country is great!

Cambridge

"Some ppl on here love aving digs at there own country they are weird it's like slagging of your own family I don't get it at all

If you weren't born in the UK, would you still think the UK was the best country in the world?

Putting down your country again CLCC? In what country would you rather live?"

I haven't said that, I asked a question.

Cambridge

"Yet still they come...

The migrants that I know and talk to, think that this country is great! "

What about ex-pats?

There is no greater country on earth than the united kingdom, we are the envy of the world.

In fact I'll narrow it down even more, North West England.. by heck were fucking marvelous

I haven't said that, I asked a question. "

So answer my one then.

Cambridge

So answer my one then."

You asked your question after mine.

You haven't told anyone on here, even though you have been asked multiple times, why you think it's the best country in the world.

By *ilent.KnightMan  over a year ago

Swindon

On the whole I think this country is pretty great.

We have a good standard of living (mostly), one of the more tolerant societies for things outside the norm (race, sexuality, swinging ), strong universities, a strong track record in industry (FS say) and innovation. The NHS. Social values that recognise not everyone is as well off as us. Or that big bucks isn't the be all and end all.

Let's just hope we don't do anything that ducks this up ...

West London

Fair's fair. Your turn now.

I have answered. In my opinion my country is great. It is down to others to prove it isn't, so knock yourself bandy as you seem to dislike it so much."

Well, actually, you really haven't but you are splendidly stubborn. I posed the two direct questions along with a schmaltzy but somewhat provocative video to contextualise it.

Did you watch the video?

I also asked two simple questions.

What do we do that makes us "great"? What does the world want that only we can give them?

Saying that you think that the UK is great doesn't answer either of them.

I never said I disliked it. I said it's not the greatest. I find that identifying weaknesses and working to correct them is the best way to improve anything. How do you go about that process?

I have also learned that the best way to plan your negotiating position on any matter includes assessing your position as your counterparts view it.

If you don't want to engage then don't but it would be nice if somebody who disagrees with me advanced some informative opinions rather than name-calling

West London

"Yet still they come...

The migrants that I know and talk to, think that this country is great! "

In comparison to countries suffering from war, and user dictatorships then the UK certainly is a great place. That's hardly a positive argument.

The UK is particularly popular because of the language and the fact that there are small communities of almost every culture and nationality here. However, this is often portrayed as a problem domestically rather than a strength. We only want useful immigrants even though it's often first and second generations that prove to be particularly dynamic members of society.

So, again, rather than saying that other people think it is, what do you think defines the nation's greatness?

West London

"On the whole I think this country is pretty great.

We have a good standard of living (mostly), one of the more tolerant societies for things outside the norm (race, sexuality, swinging ), strong universities, a strong track record in industry (FS say) and innovation. The NHS. Social values that recognise not everyone is as well off as us. Or that big bucks isn't the be all and end all.

Let's just hope we don't do anything that ducks this up ... "

Hurrah!

A genuine attempt. Thank you

I think this is a pre-Brexit snap-shot though as you perhaps have alluded to...

Cannock

"

Professor of economics at Cardiff business school and ex government economic advisor Patrick Minford said last week that he expects the UK to be around £130 billion better off from Brexit through deregulation and new trade deals being signed. Economics expert and advisor to the Commons Treasury select committee Roger Bootle said in a report last week backed by 15 other experts that the UK will be much better off economically once we are out of the EU and trading out on our own In the global market rather than being shackled and hamstrung by a relatively small part of the world, namely the EU.

Patrick Minford and 15 other experts? How any other individuals and experts say the opposite?

In fact, the researchers found that people who reject scientific consensus on topics such as climate change, vaccine safety, and evolution are generally just as interested in science and as well-educated as the rest of us.

The issue is that when it comes to facts, people think more like lawyers than scientists, which means they 'cherry pick' the facts and studies that back up what they already believe to be true.

So if someone doesn't think humans are causing climate change, they will ignore the hundreds of studies that support that conclusion, but latch onto the one study they can find that casts doubt on this view. This is also known as cognitive bias.

"We find that people will take a flight from facts to protect all kinds of belief including their religious belief, their political beliefs, and even simple personal beliefs such as whether they are good at choosing a web browser," said one of the researchers, Troy Campbell from the University of Oregon.

"People treat facts as relevant more when the facts tend to support their opinions. When the facts are against their opinions, they don't necessarily deny the facts, but they say the facts are less relevant."

Also for the record:

Minford also assumes unilateral removal of all trade barriers by the UK. All "

I actually said Roger Bootle's report which 15 other economic experts had contributed to, Patrick Minford's comments were completely separate and not related to Roger Bootle's report. Another one Mark Littlewood who is director general of the institute of economic affairs has come out and said Britain will prosper outside of the EU come what may, with or without a deal with the EU we'll still be better off out of it than in. If you are just listening to the doom mongers and the pessimists and ignoring experts on the other side then you are just as guilty of confirmation bias. There are many varying opinions on either side of this.

Cambridge

"

Professor of economics at Cardiff business school and ex government economic advisor Patrick Minford said last week that he expects the UK to be around £130 billion better off from Brexit through deregulation and new trade deals being signed. Economics expert and advisor to the Commons Treasury select committee Roger Bootle said in a report last week backed by 15 other experts that the UK will be much better off economically once we are out of the EU and trading out on our own In the global market rather than being shackled and hamstrung by a relatively small part of the world, namely the EU.

Also for the record:

I actually said Roger Bootle's report which 15 other economic experts had contributed to, Patrick Minford's comments were completely separate and not related to Roger Bootle's report. Another one Mark Littlewood who is director general of the institute of economic affairs has come out and said Britain will prosper outside of the EU come what may, with or without a deal with the EU we'll still be better off out of it than in. If you are just listening to the doom mongers and the pessimists and ignoring experts on the other side then you are just as guilty of confirmation bias. There are many varying opinions on either side of this. "

No Centaur, no there are not. There are a few outliers (or should that be outliars?) but the vast majority of economists say that Brexit is an awful idea from an economic perspective. The trouble is the campaigns were based on lies from the Leave side, therefore people didn't vote to get poorer. The more it hits people in their pockets, the more will change their mind on Brexit. Each day that passes is one day closer to the penny dropping.

"Yet still they come...

The migrants that I know and talk to, think that this country is great!

In comparison to countries suffering from war, and user dictatorships then the UK certainly is a great place. That's hardly a positive argument.

The UK is particularly popular because of the language and the fact that there are small communities of almost every culture and nationality here. However, this is often portrayed as a problem domestically rather than a strength. We only want useful immigrants even though it's often first and second generations that prove to be particularly dynamic members of society.

So, again, rather than saying that other people think it is, what do you think defines the nation's greatness?"

Read a book, film, TV series, music, art, theatre, drama, poetry, musicals, inventions, tolerance, secularism, freedom, weather... Yes weather, no hurricanes, no forest fires, no heatwaves, no earthquakes, no volcanoes, no tropical diseases, no mosquitos, long growing seasons, no harsh winters,a sense of credulity, rebellion and a sense of humour, a sense of Fair play, loving losers and hating winners, orderly queuing, we used to put more importance on what comes out of somebody's mouth than the straightness of their teeth.... And racism, bigotry, xenophobia and sexism sure we've got some but fucking less than everybody else, try living in India if you wanna see racism and bigotry and try living in Japan if you wanna see xenophobia.

We make mistakes like everybody else but we seem to do the right thing in the end and we don't make mountains out of molehills... And ww2 yes ww2 when NOBODY wanted to tackle real fucking Nazis and still in chaos from the last one we STILL managed to roll up our sleeves and do the right thing!!.

A country is only a collection of people that make it that way, the British are funny fuckers hell we don't even get along as neighbouring nations without a war breaking out over a football game but you'll never see a secession from the UK for all the pub talk of breakups, brexit will come and brexit will go and in the end it won't be that much different and neither side will be that bothered because one of our best points is not giving a fuck!!

This is, was and remains the greatest country on earth by a million fucking miles

"

Also for the record:

I actually said Roger Bootle's report which 15 other economic experts had contributed to, Patrick Minford's comments were completely separate and not related to Roger Bootle's report. Another one Mark Littlewood who is director general of the institute of economic affairs has come out and said Britain will prosper outside of the EU come what may, with or without a deal with the EU we'll still be better off out of it than in. If you are just listening to the doom mongers and the pessimists and ignoring experts on the other side then you are just as guilty of confirmation bias. There are many varying opinions on either side of this. "

Mark Littlewood your new bestest hero now....if i remember rightly this guy is in the pocket of Tim Martin....i believe hes a fervent Ukiper and also a hypocrite

So answer my one then.

You haven't told anyone on here, even though you have been asked multiple times, why you think it's the best country in the world. "

Read my initial post. I believe my country is great. That is my opinion and I do not need to justify that. It is down to others to prove it isn't great.

You obviously do not think your country is great. Why? And in what country would you rather live in?

Cambridge

So answer my one then.

You haven't told anyone on here, even though you have been asked multiple times, why you think it's the best country in the world.

Read my initial post. I believe my country is great. That is my opinion and I do not need to justify that. It is down to others to prove it isn't great.

You obviously do not think your country is great. Why? And in what country would you rather live in?"

As has been pointed out to you several times now, the question in the OP, is what makes the UK great. You have fundamentally failed to comprehend the question at hand, or to answer it.

So answer my one then.

You obviously do not think your country is great. Why? And in what country would you rather live in?

As has been pointed out to you several times now, the question in the OP, is what makes the UK great. You have fundamentally failed to comprehend the question at hand, or to answer it."

I have answered. You are unable to see the answer. You do not think your country us great, why?

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

upton wirral

So answer my one then.

You obviously do not think your country is great. Why? And in what country would you rather live in?"

A great answer

upton wirral

"

Also for the record:

I actually said Roger Bootle's report which 15 other economic experts had contributed to, Patrick Minford's comments were completely separate and not related to Roger Bootle's report. Another one Mark Littlewood who is director general of the institute of economic affairs has come out and said Britain will prosper outside of the EU come what may, with or without a deal with the EU we'll still be better off out of it than in. If you are just listening to the doom mongers and the pessimists and ignoring experts on the other side then you are just as guilty of confirmation bias. There are many varying opinions on either side of this.

No Centaur, no there are not. There are a few outliers (or should that be outliars?) but the vast majority of economists say that Brexit is an awful idea from an economic perspective. The trouble is the campaigns were based on lies from the Leave side, therefore people didn't vote to get poorer. The more it hits people in their pockets, the more will change their mind on Brexit. Each day that passes is one day closer to the penny dropping."

What had the question to do with Brexit?

Cambridge

"

Also for the record:

No Centaur, no there are not. There are a few outliers (or should that be outliars?) but the vast majority of economists say that Brexit is an awful idea from an economic perspective. The trouble is the campaigns were based on lies from the Leave side, therefore people didn't vote to get poorer. The more it hits people in their pockets, the more will change their mind on Brexit. Each day that passes is one day closer to the penny dropping.What had the question to do with Brexit?"

You'll have to ask Centaur, he was the one that brought it up.

Cambridge

So answer my one then.

As has been pointed out to you several times now, the question in the OP, is what makes the UK great. You have fundamentally failed to comprehend the question at hand, or to answer it.

I have answered. You are unable to see the answer. You do not think your country us great, why?"

You haven't answered the OP, you're just trolling.

So answer my one then.

I have answered. You are unable to see the answer. You do not think your country us great, why?

You haven't answered the OP, you're just trolling. "

Trolling? Seriously? You will have to point that one out for everyone because I missed it.

Anyway, back on topic Mr Deflector. I have answered several times, it is my opinion and it is down to others to prove me wrong.

So I repeat my question. You do not think your country is great, why?

By *ilent.KnightMan  over a year ago

Swindon

Fab needs a yawn smilie as this is gonna go in circles!

(This is what I think. Prove to me otherwise)

West London

"

So, again, rather than saying that other people think it is, what do you think defines the nation's greatness?

Read a book, film, TV series, music, art, theatre, drama, poetry, musicals, inventions, tolerance, secularism, freedom, weather... Yes weather, no hurricanes, no forest fires, no heatwaves, no earthquakes, no volcanoes, no tropical diseases, no mosquitos, long growing seasons, no harsh winters,a sense of credulity, rebellion and a sense of humour, a sense of Fair play, loving losers and hating winners, orderly queuing, we used to put more importance on what comes out of somebody's mouth than the straightness of their teeth.... And racism, bigotry, xenophobia and sexism sure we've got some but fucking less than everybody else, try living in India if you wanna see racism and bigotry and try living in Japan if you wanna see xenophobia.

We make mistakes like everybody else but we seem to do the right thing in the end and we don't make mountains out of molehills... And ww2 yes ww2 when NOBODY wanted to tackle real fucking Nazis and still in chaos from the last one we STILL managed to roll up our sleeves and do the right thing!!.

A country is only a collection of people that make it that way, the British are funny fuckers hell we don't even get along as neighbouring nations without a war breaking out over a football game but you'll never see a secession from the UK for all the pub talk of breakups, brexit will come and brexit will go and in the end it won't be that much different and neither side will be that bothered because one of our best points is not giving a fuck!!

This is, was and remains the greatest country on earth by a million fucking miles "

Now this one is a runner!

Thank you too. I'm with you on a lot of this.

Do you think that the referendum has allowed some of the negative to become acceptable again though?

Also Lord Halifax and Edward VIII quite liked Hitler. Firm government and teaching those Jews their place dontcha know? The decision the UK made was a close run thing.We could just have easily been his allies. If there had been a referendum do you think the country would have chosen what Churchill had offered them after Dunkirk?

There's a danger in complacency. Assuming things won't happen here.

You are of course right. The country will work itself out in the end. Better, worse, much the same? Who knows but a lot of unnecessary trauma inbetween.

West London

So answer my one then.

Trolling? Seriously? You will have to point that one out for everyone because I missed it.

Anyway, back on topic Mr Deflector. I have answered several times, it is my opinion and it is down to others to prove me wrong.

So I repeat my question. You do not think your country is great, why?"

Bored.

If you don't wish to or are unable to answer then don't, but please don't pretend that you have

Cambridge

So answer my one then.

So I repeat my question. You do not think your country is great, why?

Bored.

If you don't wish to or are unable to answer then don't, but please don't pretend that you have "

Don't feed the trolls!

"

This is, was and remains the greatest country on earth by a million fucking miles

Now this one is a runner!

Thank you too. I'm with you on a lot of this.

Do you think that the referendum has allowed some of the negative to become acceptable again though?

Also Lord Halifax and Edward VIII quite liked Hitler. Firm government and teaching those Jews their place dontcha know? The decision the UK made was a close run thing.We could just have easily been his allies. If there had been a referendum do you think the country would have chosen what Churchill had offered them after Dunkirk?

There's a danger in complacency. Assuming things won't happen here.

You are of course right. The country will work itself out in the end. Better, worse, much the same? Who knows but a lot of unnecessary trauma inbetween."

No I think trauma is part of learning as the saying goes a man who never made any mistakes never made anything, I genuinely and have always said nothing at all will come of brexit and in the end I hope and I believe both parties will be slightly disappointed and will do the very British thing of going oh well (shrug shoulders) such is life.

However I'm also firmly of the belief that the minute any government left or right over steps there mark, just like Thatcher the British people are more than willing to step up and say not on my watch you fuckwit

england is a proven shit hole

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

"england is a proven shit hole"

Yet still they come...

thornaby

"england is a proven shit hole"
you could always move somewhere else

Cambridge

"england is a proven shit hole you could always move somewhere else "

Like Scotland, or Wales

i do live elsewhere.... but the irrefutable fact remains that england is a shit hole

West London

"i do live elsewhere.... but the irrefutable fact remains that england is a shit hole"

Not constructive

It just allows those who claim greatness to avoid actually backing up the claim.

That's what I'm interested in. An objective look at the country's perceived strengths and weaknesses.

That's what tells us where we actually stand in the world.

So how about it?

Anyone else willing to list some positives and perhaps even balance them with some negatives?

Very few real efforts so far...

mostly because there aren't any good points to mention .... mostly because of the fact that england is an utter shit hole