FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Hurricane irma

Hurricane irma

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Anybody thinking of a holiday in the Caribbean,Florida or the Carolinas?.

This has the potential to be cat5.

I once had an argument with someone (no names) about climate change and hurricanes came up...

It's bollocks! There's less Hurricanes now than decades ago, what happened to their predictions?.

Hmmm have you read their predictions or read a blog?.

Is it a fact or not that there's less Hurricanes now than decades ago!.

Yes.

Aha so you agree it's bollocks?.

No they predicted there'd be less Hurricanes but when they do occur there'd be far worse than before... Try reading science instead of blogs

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The bigger the better.Only when faced with the reality of climate change do we change.

Irma looks like it could become a monster if it makes landfall .

"The bigger the better.Only when faced with the reality of climate change do we change.

Irma looks like it could become a monster if it makes landfall .

"

I think its too late to stop the damage.

Too many people on the planet doing yoo much damage, dumping pladtic and burning fosdil fuel and worst of all living in denial

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Climate science is complex and thankfully they have complex models that are run to predict the catastrophic changes that are underway.

I'm leaving Florida shortly, my couple of months here almost up, as I travel a little -missing any hurricane nastiness (I've been there and done it before).

The key messages seem to be for more frequent very severe weather events globally and for some places to suffer disproportionately. More heat energy absorbed within systems that may take years or decades to transform it into calamities somewhere.

The myopic look on their doorstep at what happened yesterday and today but global systems are complex. Ultimately increased levels of energy into these systems don't just magically disappear as some denialists would have us believe.

Well it's officially a looming monster now.

Looks like the Caribbean and Florida are likely targets although I still think Texas/Louisiana is a possible again, they have a habit of following each other

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

Well if we are to believe the evangelical christians of the bible belt then this is proof that god hates the right wing white supremacist rednecks of the deep south and has nothing to do with climate change...

Its the largest Atlantic hurricane ever recorded.A thing of beauty.

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

Only a thing of beuty Bob if it's not heading yr way

moston

In papers previously sealed now released by a US federal court it has been revealed that the petrochemical industry and in particular Exxonmobil and Koch Industries have known that human (ICE) CO2 emissions were driving climate change because their own scientists had been confirming all climate change research since 1979. And that since then they have been buying 'experts' to sign false papers to throw doubt on the climate change science so they could sell more petrochemicals. It also turns out that Monsanto have been doing exactly the same thing with warnings about Roundup being a carcinogen.

What the rich won't do to get richer hey

moston

I've been quite wealthy, I am now quite poor. I do miss the extra freedom having a surplus of cash gave me in the past, but it really is a ho hum, it's gone, never mind life goes on thing. Maybe my attitude is because I've never been in love with money and have always seen money as beer and fun tokens to be used not hoarded.

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

"Only a thing of beuty Bob if it's not heading yr way "

Trump described what happened in Texas as beautiful.

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

"Only a thing of beuty Bob if it's not heading yr way

Trump described what happened in Texas as beautiful. "

"They were just happy … a lot of happiness,” he said. “It’s been very nice. It’s been a wonderful thing. It’s – as tough as this was, it’s been a wonderful thing. I think even for the country to watch and for the world to watch. It’s been beautiful. Have a good time everybody, I’m going to be doing a little help over here.”

"I've been quite wealthy, I am now quite poor. I do miss the extra freedom having a surplus of cash gave me in the past, but it really is a ho hum, it's gone, never mind life goes on thing. Maybe my attitude is because I've never been in love with money and have always seen money as beer and fun tokens to be used not hoarded."

I am what I am and what I am needs no excuses

By *oubepoMan  over a year ago

Spain Portugal France

"Only a thing of beuty Bob if it's not heading yr way

Trump described what happened in Texas as beautiful. "

I think what he was describing as beautiful was - the bravery and human spirit shown in the face of adversity - What you Brits used to call the Dunkirk spirit I think?

Well it's about to pass over some of the warmest waters in the world at over 32 degrees c.

I have a bad feeling this bitch is just about to go supernova .

Some of the charts are showing 40 foot swells for Miami, if that hits it won't be pretty

Good for surfing maybe

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

well it is a cat 5 now and the leeward islands are on red alert... i know people on antigua and montserrat are on standby

and with it not really hitting any land to slow it down or taking any speed out of it it will be interesting if it goes between cuba and florida... if it gets into the gulf of mexico all bets are off....

not that i want florida to get hit... but if it doesn't do the left turn and hit new orleans or got forbid the houston area... it could make the situation a lot worse

"Good for surfing maybe "

Ha you've never surfed have you .

"Good for surfing maybe .

"

Lol no, how did you guess

"well it is a cat 5 now and the leeward islands are on red alert... i know people on antigua and montserrat are on standby

and with it not really hitting any land to slow it down or taking any speed out of it it will be interesting if it goes between cuba and florida... if it gets into the gulf of mexico all bets are off....

not that i want florida to get hit... but if it doesn't do the left turn and hit new orleans or got forbid the houston area... it could make the situation a lot worse"

The GFS is usually pretty good up to five days, at the moment it shows it smashing into Miami on the 10th bouncing off running up the coast and smashing into... Charlottesville

Lol no, how did you guess "

Coz you don't surf swells

Well you can if your crackers

moston

40 ft swells!

That could easily produce 60 to 100 ft waves when they get inshore depending on how long the swells are and how quickly the sea floor shelves! How deep is the depression? God help low lying coastal communities if that comes ashore on a high spring tide...

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Just flown out of Miami airport - pandemonium! I hope it doesn't hit and cause the hell it shows potential to.

Newcastle and Gateshead

the were comparing this to hugo in the caribbean... but this one is actually bigger than hugo

just gotten news that it just missed montserrat and antigua to the north and it whizzed just by barbuda (which is the smallest island of the lot)

still ridiculously windy but hopefully the damage levels wont be as high as when andrew and hugo hit

It's tracking the warm waters off the coast?.

That doesn't sound promising

Newcastle and Gateshead

[Removed by poster at 06/09/17 11:05:20]

Newcastle and Gateshead

"It's tracking the warm waters off the coast?.

That doesn't sound promising "

which is why best case is that it turns right just before florida and tracks up the atlantic coast..... because it will start to encounter cooler water...

if it goes into the gulf of mexico and then turns left.... it will maintain or get stronger in the warmer water....

and the odds look like its 50/50.... which is why BOTH sides of the florida coastline are on hurricane watch....

Newcastle and Gateshead

something i learnt yesterday from the weather channel...

the hurricane scale goes up exponentially... so a cat 5 hurricane is actually 500 times stronger than a cat 1...

so to give you a sense of the scale... harvey was a cat 3.... irma at the moment is 50 times stronger than that....

this thing is whether it goes up the east or west side of florida.... this thing is going to hit south florida at likely high cat 4 strength..... cat 4 scale is between 135 and 157mph

irma at the moment is whizzing round at 175-180 mph....

Its awe inspiring the beauty and power of nature.

It's being followed by another one behind it. Hurricane Jose, at least we know trump won't let that one in

"It's being followed by another one behind it. Hurricane Jose, at least we know trump won't let that one in "

I pointed that out in the lounge this morning.

I think irma will be retired after she's done anyhow

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

When the post about what was so great about Britain it's that we don't get weather that destroys every thing we have

"When the post about what was so great about Britain it's that we don't get weather that destroys every thing we have "

That's right, geographically Britain is in one of, if not the best location to live.

Don't get me wrong, volcanoes give great fetishized soil... But they occasionally go boom as well, it's a bit like that with the Caribbean

Fertilised soil.... Bloody hell I think my spell checker is fab hooked

"When the post about what was so great about Britain it's that we don't get weather that destroys every thing we have .

That's right, geographically Britain is in one of, if not the best location to live.

Don't get me wrong, volcanoes give great fetishized soil... But they occasionally go boom as well, it's a bit like that with the Caribbean"

Providing the gulf stream continues doing its thing we are ok.Otherwise we're fucked.

"When the post about what was so great about Britain it's that we don't get weather that destroys every thing we have .

Don't get me wrong, volcanoes give great fetishized soil... But they occasionally go boom as well, it's a bit like that with the Caribbean Providing the gulf stream continues doing its thing we are ok.Otherwise we're fucked. "

Yes but the day the ocean conveyers stop were all fucked, if they weaken say 10- 20% we'll be back in the mini ice age

Anyhow good news/bad news

Bad news it's forecast to strengthen.

Good news is the projected path has moved slightly East meaning it might just bump up the Floridan coast staying offshore

Don't get me wrong, volcanoes give great fetishized soil... But they occasionally go boom as well, it's a bit like that with the Caribbean Providing the gulf stream continues doing its thing we are ok.Otherwise we're fucked. .

Yes but the day the ocean conveyers stop were all fucked, if they weaken say 10- 20% we'll be back in the mini ice age "

Your right but their are many countries who believe climate change will benefit them by opening up the frozen wastelands they own. Russia and Greenland and iceland see farming opportunities and mineral extraction.

moston

Dont worry...

She is going to tear a new arsehole into some part of the Home of The Free to deny climate change for profit and enrichment of a few. It may even circle out into the Atlantic pick up a bit more force do a waltz into the gulf with Jose before the two of them sink Texas while Trump and Congress raid the EPA budget to build a dam to stop the flook from drowning Mexico.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Anyhow good news/bad news

Good news is the projected path has moved slightly East meaning it might just bump up the Floridan coast staying offshore "

not quite on the good news part...

it is still going to be close enough to the atlantic side of the florida coast to give them a battering... and is still basically going to hit south florida.... but at least this gives people a sense of the direction they will need to to escape... west towards tampa and tallahasse....

this new forecast is also bad for coastal georgia and the carolina's because if it does come ashore.. its likely to be there, and it still hasn't hit land so won't have weakened much (although the waters won't quite be as warm to power it....)

just spoken to montserrat and antigua again... they are fine

barbuda took the bullet.... anguilla came mighty close....

"Anyhow good news/bad news

Good news is the projected path has moved slightly East meaning it might just bump up the Floridan coast staying offshore

not quite on the good news part...

it is still going to be close enough to the atlantic side of the florida coast to give them a battering... and is still basically going to hit south florida.... but at least this gives people a sense of the direction they will need to to escape... west towards tampa and tallahasse....

this new forecast is also bad for coastal georgia and the carolina's because if it does come ashore.. its likely to be there, and it still hasn't hit land so won't have weakened much (although the waters won't quite be as warm to power it....)

just spoken to montserrat and antigua again... they are fine

barbuda took the bullet.... anguilla came mighty close....

"

Has anyone heard from Barbuda yet? I can't find any reports online from there.

And yes I didn't mean it as "good" I really meant better news, western Florida is better prepared than most for hurricanes and the cooler water should in theory downgrade it a bit before it hits the Carolinas.

Flying past Florida and into the gulf could be disastrous for another state

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

"

went i was speaking to people in antigua they said communication with barbuda went down just after midnight and they had not restored communication at that point...

if there was one saving grace, barbuda is the one with the smallest population of all the islands it could have hit..... there are only about 1,000 on barbuda

if i hear anything because i am trying to listen to antigua i will pass it on

Newcastle and Gateshead

prime minister of antigua has just been on the radio... travelling to barbuda via helicopter in the next few minutes and should hear more about the situation later...

looking at the pictures from anguilla and saint maarten they took it really hard....

Newcastle and Gateshead

news back from barbuda and it is not good....

prime minister has said "destruction from irma unprecedented, 90% of the island destroyed, barbuda is barely habitable and 95% of houses likely to have at least some storm damage....

so i would have thought the next plan would be to move those people to antigua if possible....

and the pictures coming out of barbuda has like nothing i have seen....

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

"news back from barbuda and it is not good....

prime minister has said "destruction from irma unprecedented, 90% of the island destroyed, barbuda is barely habitable and 95% of houses likely to have at least some storm damage....

so i would have thought the next plan would be to move those people to antigua if possible....

and the pictures coming out of barbuda has like nothing i have seen.... "

The photos of Barbuda are mind boggling. Ive visited the island and it is beautiful. Heartbreaking

"news back from barbuda and it is not good....

and the pictures coming out of barbuda has like nothing i have seen.... "

It's utterly destroyed and sadly Jose is not looking good either!.

All eyes on the Bahamas now, it looks like they might take a direct hit although the models are throwing in a larger range now

Lol no, how did you guess .

Coz you don't surf swells

Well you can if your crackers "

Not particularly true

for example; Waimea doesn't kick off until the likes of pipeline and sunset beach are blown out, you don't need to be crackers, just need to know the sea and your surroundings

As for Florida, guess Jumping will stop at Deland next few days as well as Sebastian and other dropzones

Newcastle and Gateshead

I am really angry at the response of the British government to this when you compare it to the response of the Dutch and French governments to this

They were way ahead in their prep for this and their response to this

It's the difference between being proactive and being reactive...

The French government set up an emergency department from Paris and the minister responsible was on the first flight out to view and see what they could do

Whereas priti and boris.... nothing

Anguilla caries the same status as Gibraltar and the falklands, and I bet if something disastrous had happened their they would have been all over it

"I am really angry at the response of the British government to this when you compare it to the response of the Dutch and French governments to this

The French government set up an emergency department from Paris and the minister responsible was on the first flight out to view and see what they could do

Anguilla caries the same status as Gibraltar and the falklands, and I bet if something disastrous had happened their they would have been all over it "

Most Brits never heard of Anguila until this week.Its low on the radar so less fucks are given.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"I am really angry at the response of the British government to this when you compare it to the response of the Dutch and French governments to this

Anguilla caries the same status as Gibraltar and the falklands, and I bet if something disastrous had happened their they would have been all over it "

Priti Patel made a statement detailing our response yesterday.

Can confirm that RFA Mounts Bay is in the area and ready to go.

Anguilla caries the same status as Gibraltar and the falklands, and I bet if something disastrous had happened their they would have been all over it

Most Brits never heard of Anguila until this week.Its low on the radar so less fucks are given."

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/british-virgin-islands

Well this is one time you really want the the UK to be wrong.... Because the UK model has irma slamming smack bang into southern Florida at cat 5.

The European model has it just brushing southern Florida and

The USA model has it just off the coast.... The difference is only about 100 miles apart but will make alot of difference to the outcome

At this point, Florida is just fucked.

It's really just a matter of degrees now.

The president’s Mar-a-Lago estate looks like it could suffer some major damage if the Category 5 hurricane continues on its projected path.Maybe he'll recognise climate change once it comes knocking on his estate door.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"At this point, Florida is just fucked.

It's really just a matter of degrees now."

it really depends on where it lands... it the eye goes over miami-dade or broward county's then it will affect millions...

you don't realise that miami and surrounding has the 6th largest population of cities in america......

"At this point, Florida is just fucked.

It's really just a matter of degrees now.

it really depends on where it lands... it the eye goes over miami-dade or broward county's then it will affect millions...

you don't realise that miami and surrounding has the 6th largest population of cities in america......"

That is what the UK model is predicting.

The difference in models from what I can see is that the UK seems to have the Bermuda high holding a little longer where as the other two say it will weaken East and pull irma with it

By this time tomorrow it should be clearer, fingers crossed

Newcastle and Gateshead

5pm advisory is in....

holding its strength as a cat 5....

track on the forecasts has move ever so slightly west... so both sides of florida could still be hit... but the bullseye centre line is still miami-ish... which is still as bad as it could be...

oh..and jose has now strenghtened to a cat 3.. and is heading towards the carribbean islands already hit.... antigua, barbuda, anguilla, st kitts and montserrat.....

moston

"5pm advisory is in....

holding its strength as a cat 5....

track on the forecasts has move ever so slightly west... so both sides of florida could still be hit... but the bullseye centre line is still miami-ish... which is still as bad as it could be...

oh..and jose has now strenghtened to a cat 3.. and is heading towards the carribbean islands already hit.... antigua, barbuda, anguilla, st kitts and montserrat.....

"

God help Key West and the rest of the islands. I wonder will 7 mile bridge survive or if the overseas highway and all the Keys will be lost?

Grantham

Reported that US airlines are ramping up prices to fly people out of Florida.

Virgin give commitment to fly in supplies and building materials to the area, as its one of their main destinations.

Magnitude 8 earthquake as well just off the the West coast of Mexico, so that's three hurricanes and a big earthquake on top of the fact there already past the average despite only just reaching peak hurricane season.

And it looks like irma will slam straight into Miami..

Nuts

Grantham

Two RAF planes getting away from Brize Norton today; one with supplies and one with helicopters.

Have you seen some muppets are rejoicing that one of trump's mansions has been destroyed (along with the lives of many many others).

Is this is a kind of sickness that social media has put into some people's tiny brains?

I'd say the models are really stretched and inaccurate when it comes to extreme events.

"Have you seen some muppets are rejoicing that one of trump's mansions has been destroyed (along with the lives of many many others).

Is this is a kind of sickness that social media has put into some people's tiny brains?

I'd say the models are really stretched and inaccurate when it comes to extreme events. "

Unfortunately it's just a product of human frustration, they like to take it out on someone and trump's it.

Modeling the path of hurricanes is hard but they have got very reliable over the last ten years over say three days, I mean after five days it's far less certain.

Modeling how many in a season, where and when is practically impossible due to the millions of variants.

Having said that plenty of science papers showed in the 70s that if you heat up the water, heat up the atmosphere allowing more water vapour to be held what you'll get is less Hurricanes and tornadoes but when they do occur there'll be bigger and more destructive, they'll hold there intensity longer and travel further.

"Have you seen some muppets are rejoicing that one of trump's mansions has been destroyed (along with the lives of many many others).

I'd say the models are really stretched and inaccurate when it comes to extreme events. .

Unfortunately it's just a product of human frustration, they like to take it out on someone and trump's it.

Modeling the path of hurricanes is hard but they have got very reliable over the last ten years over say three days, I mean after five days it's far less certain.

Modeling how many in a season, where and when is practically impossible due to the millions of variants.

Having said that plenty of science papers showed in the 70s that if you heat up the water, heat up the atmosphere allowing more water vapour to be held what you'll get is less Hurricanes and tornadoes but when they do occur there'll be bigger and more destructive, they'll hold there intensity longer and travel further.

"

Theres good reason for trump to feel the pain of irma .The greater the suffering the quicker he changes policy.

Trump won't feel pain, he'll be well insured, have plenty of other houses to go live in, won't be hungry or need medical treatment, he won't be there worrying about water borne diseases or mosquitos in the excess water left over.

It is not trumps attitude that needs to change... It's everybody's

"Trump won't feel pain, he'll be well insured, have plenty of other houses to go live in, won't be hungry or need medical treatment, he won't be there worrying about water borne diseases or mosquitos in the excess water left over.

It is not trumps attitude that needs to change... It's everybody's"

Hes in charge, he's abolitioning the EPA upping coal production denies the words climate and change being used by his administration.The only thing he loves is money these storms will cost 100s of billions to the economy of the USA and have a negative effect in his empire. Hitting him in the pocket.

Your right he is in charge but I'll be honest with you... There's a reason why all free democratic countries have failed to grasp this problem over the last what 40 years... The majority of the people in them don't want to change their lifestyle! They don't care about 40 years time.

Well we're all reaping our whirlwind, technology ain't going to stop it anymore, it might mitigate it a little but standing looking in the abyss thinking we might change?... That was 20 years ago.

This hurricane is the longest strongest biggest hurricane ever recorded ever anywhere, if it slams into south Florida as predicted with 15-20 feet swells... It's going to fuck that place up like you wouldn't believe, Miami is one of the tallest cities in the US, it's 40-60 stories high!

Personally I'd rather it veer off into the Atlantic now and "let trump off the hook" but I fear it won't

moston

Of course where Trump is concerned you just know that a disproportionate amount of aid will find its way to the areas where he owns property and that by a curious coincidence his properties will all qualify for more aid than others...

Because Donny boy is smart...

Well unfortunately this is turning into a bit of an unprecedented Hurricane season.

We've got Maria barreling up to a cat 3 and protected to head right over the Caribbean yet again, it's a long way out but projected to hit south Carolina at the moment and that's without forgetting Jose who's bounced around the Atlantic and looks like he's heading to New York

The British Virgin islands are at the moment looking to get a direct hit.

Richard better relocate his island

"The British Virgin islands are at the moment looking to get a direct hit.

Richard better relocate his island "

Hes only just rebuilt his house after it burnt to the ground.He's always tweeting about the environment and global warming.Frankie boyle recently tweeted in response to his tweets."You own an airline you mad cunt..

Richard better relocate his island Hes only just rebuilt his house after it burnt to the ground.He's always tweeting about the environment and global warming.Frankie boyle recently tweeted in response to his tweets."You own an airline you mad cunt.."

I've always quite liked him but I must admit for tax exiled guy living in a tax heaven he sure was quick to ask the UK for help in a disaster

moston

"I've always quite liked him but I must admit for tax exiled guy living in a tax heaven he sure was quick to ask the UK for help in a disaster "

Why do you like him?

You do realise he is an upper class toff whose first 'business' was producing (making) music bootlegs and an underground magazine that stole others copyrighted material, and that when prosecuted for it he was let off because he came from a 'good home' and went to a 'good school'. You also realise his first legitimate business venture (virgin records) was financed by his multimillionaire aunt and that he effectively stole his recording equipment in the same way Trump stole much of his wealth from those who trusted him.

The man is not the angel many think him to be.

Richard better relocate his island Hes only just rebuilt his house after it burnt to the ground.He's always tweeting about the environment and global warming.Frankie boyle recently tweeted in response to his tweets."You own an airline you mad cunt...

I've always quite liked him but I must admit for tax exiled guy living in a tax heaven he sure was quick to ask the UK for help in a disaster "

Living in paradise always has a cost, he could live here and pay the taxes

"I've always quite liked him but I must admit for tax exiled guy living in a tax heaven he sure was quick to ask the UK for help in a disaster

Why do you like him?

You do realise he is an upper class toff whose first 'business' was producing (making) music bootlegs and an underground magazine that stole others copyrighted material, and that when prosecuted for it he was let off because he came from a 'good home' and went to a 'good school'. You also realise his first legitimate business venture (virgin records) was financed by his multimillionaire aunt and that he effectively stole his recording equipment in the same way Trump stole much of his wealth from those who trusted him.

The man is not the angel many think him to be.

"

Yeah no it's nothing to do with business, I've always had a thing for the wealthy eccentrics in life

On that note, Maria has whirled up to a cat 5 thanks to little wind sheer and an overly hot ocean.

Dominica has taken a direct hit at full force.

moston

If as many climate change scientists and oceanographers are predicting the deep cold fresh water current of the Atlantic Conveyor that runs down the eastern seaboard of America is switched off by global sea warming in the next 5 to 15 years then these hurricanes will look like baby tantrums compared to what will be spawned in the North Atlantic in years to come.

"If as many climate change scientists and oceanographers are predicting the deep cold fresh water current of the Atlantic Conveyor that runs down the eastern seaboard of America is switched off by global sea warming in the next 5 to 15 years then these hurricanes will look like baby tantrums compared to what will be spawned in the North Atlantic in years to come."

Most folks don't get it, they just think of it slightly getting progressively worse over a century and it may well just do that. . However there's good science over the last twenty years to show an exponential change.. even the scientists who studied this have got very very worried.

The 2100 date and 2 degrees warming were and never have been about science they were pretty much done by Economists and politicians.

Most climate scientists have only just begun to factor in exponential growth into the models and frankly it don't look good

Google AMOC.A new study says its on verge of collaspe.To much cold water sitting in the north Atlantic due to ice melting. If you want to know what this means.

Watch "The day after tommorow "

Dominica looks bad, really bad!.

And there's a chance it's going to whirl back up to a cat 5 after Guadalupe.

Montserrat looks next in its path...

"

went i was speaking to people in antigua they said communication with barbuda went down just after midnight and they had not restored communication at that point...

if there was one saving grace, barbuda is the one with the smallest population of all the islands it could have hit..... there are only about 1,000 on barbuda

if i hear anything because i am trying to listen to antigua i will pass it on"

Just when they thought there'd dodged a bullet with irma!.

Good luck and best wishes

Historians will look to this year as the beginning of a frightening new phase of superstorms on planet earth.

There have been only 33 Category 5 storms in the Atlantic since hurricane records began in 1851. Twenty-three of them have formed since 1961; 11 in only the last 14 years.We've had 3 this season.

These storms have the power to make changes to policy.

The Nicaraguan government is now preparing to join the Paris climate agreement, making Syria the only country not to be a party to the deal and the United States the only nation determined to pull out of it.

Syria and the USA says it all. Brilliant.

To little to late.

Besides nobody's actually meeting any of their own set Paris agreements, politicians are too scared of upsetting their voters and to in the pockets of multinationals.

All this whining about Donald trump pulling out, haha if any government actually did try to meet the Paris accord there'd be voted out in a heartbeat by more whiny fuckers complaining of not being able to take weekends in Barcelona anymore... The Fascists, won't somebody think of the children

Yeah 2 degrees isn't really achievable. However a statement of intent and recognition of the situation is better than none.

It might buy us sometime to save our species.

1.5 actually!.

2 degrees is the target we really really shouldn't exceed

"1.5 actually!.

2 degrees is the target we really really shouldn't exceed "

We cant avoid over 2 degrees.Im hoping for under 4 degrees.

"1.5 actually!.

2 degrees is the target we really really shouldn't exceed We cant avoid over 2 degrees.Im hoping for under 4 degrees. "

Are you really?.

4 degrees means a slow agonising death for half the planet, food scarcity for 80%, lack of water for %90 and the tribal conflicts that will absolutely follow it!... Racism will be the least of your problems as the murder rate sky rockets so will totalitarian control.

It's basically a version of biblical hell!.

Naw ... Not for me thanks

I'll take getting there as fast as possible

"1.5 actually!.

2 degrees is the target we really really shouldn't exceed We cant avoid over 2 degrees.Im hoping for under 4 degrees. .

Are you really?.

4 degrees means a slow agonising death for half the planet, food scarcity for 80%, lack of water for %90 and the tribal conflicts that will absolutely follow it!... Racism will be the least of your problems as the murder rate sky rockets so will totalitarian control.

I'll take getting there as fast as possible "

Yet we will survive as a species.The ecosytem will recover after a few millennia. Well lose much of the wildlife.Most of humanity will be lost.

Its better than extinction. .

"1.5 actually!.

2 degrees is the target we really really shouldn't exceed We cant avoid over 2 degrees.Im hoping for under 4 degrees. .

Are you really?.

I'll take getting there as fast as possible Yet we will survive as a species.The ecosytem will recover after a few millennia. Well lose much of the wildlife.Most of humanity will be lost.

Its better than extinction. . "

Were large apex mammals, like all other large apex mammals we require a few basic things for life like... Habitat!

We very nearly didn't make it past the ice age, the interglacial period 12,000 years ago reduced humans to a few hundred mating pairs.... And that's when we knew how to live off the land.

And to be honest, I really can't think of any redeeming human characteristics worth saving anyhow.

Goodbye and good riddance to bad rubbish I say.... Dig that coal trump, dig boy dig

[Removed by poster at 22/09/17 16:13:38]

We are the pinacle of 3 billion years of evolution. Lets not forget we are probably the only sentient species to evolve in the milkyway.

moston

"We are the pinacle of 3 billion years of evolution. Lets not forget we are probably the only sentient species to evolve in the milkyway. "

We (the human race) are not even a level 1 civilisation. (That is one that has harnessed 100% of the energy from its star that falls on the home planet.) The latest discovery by the SST is of what is believed to be the second Dyson Sphere (needed to become a level 2 civilisation [able to collect and use 100% of the total energy of the home star], and maybe evidence of a level 3 (interstellar) civilisation. both of these are in the Milky Way (our galaxy) and according to what I am hearing confirming their existence will be the first job of the JWST when it is launched next year.

moston

"We are the pinacle of 3 billion years of evolution. Lets not forget we are probably the only sentient species to evolve in the milkyway.

We (the human race) are not even a level 1 civilisation. (That is one that has harnessed 100% of the energy from its star that falls on the home planet.) The latest discovery by the SST is of what is believed to be the second Dyson Sphere (needed to become a level 2 civilisation [able to collect and use 100% of the total energy of the home star], and maybe evidence of a level 3 (interstellar) civilisation. both of these are in the Milky Way (our galaxy) and according to what I am hearing confirming their existence will be the first job of the JWST when it is launched next year."

Sorry misspoke it was not the SST that discovered them it was Kepler.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"These storms have the power to make changes to policy.

The Nicaraguan government is now preparing to join the Paris climate agreement, making Syria the only country not to be a party to the deal and the United States the only nation determined to pull out of it.

Syria and the USA says it all. Brilliant. "

in nicaragua's defense it wan't the fact that they didn't believe in climate change, its that the agreement didn't go far enough....

anyway.... puerto rico has taken this one hard.... it may be the final straw that finally makes the island consider us statehood!

» Add a new message to this topic