FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > UK cant negotiate trade deals

UK cant negotiate trade deals

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Senior government figures have said that the uk does not have the capacity to renegotiate dozens of trade deals that already exist between the EU and third countries, instead, they are planning to draw up copycat deals to those that already exist. I agree with that, what is your view?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *xplicitlyricsMan  over a year ago

south dublin

Well some of us have been saying for months and months that this was the case. Some others insisted that the EU was just slow and made things difficult (despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary) and that these deals would be easily sorted in no time at all.

If Brexiteers had any shame they'd be embarrassed at being shown up again as being completely in the wrong at this. But the deeper we get into Brexit the more common this is becoming.

Ill add it to the list along with there being a divorce bill, a supranational court above the UK courts, sequencing for the negotiations and the other things they got completely wrong because they dont underatand what they're talking about.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"Senior government figures have said that the uk does not have the capacity to renegotiate dozens of trade deals that already exist between the EU and third countries, instead, they are planning to draw up copycat deals to those that already exist. I agree with that, what is your view? "

OP, why would any country sign a trade deal with the UK that is the same as the deal they have signed with the EU?

The UK is not as big a market as the EU and the UK will no longer give unfettered access to the EU market. I understand why brexiteers would want to believe that this is an option but can you (or anyone) tell me what is in it for all those countries with trade deals with the EU?

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Deals are two way street agreements and the UK isn't in the strongest position to agree anything anymore.

Countries will want to keep the UK as an interim hopping point for their stuff, whilst they get a better position in Europe - potentially demanding £££ from us, whilst they continue to keep some U.K. employment going, until they leave more fully.

This piss poor omni-shambles of a government that couldn't even secure a majority with their own MPs, is in no position to enforce the copy pasted terms of a phone book on to anybody but North Korea.

And we don't have any staff to negotiate with over 50 countries, whilst simultaneously trying to play bluff with the Europeans.

The true costs of this epic failure aren't borne by anyone but the average person in the street. Watch closely as Conservative politicians get very rich following all of this mess.

"Senior government figures have said that the uk does not have the capacity to renegotiate dozens of trade deals that already exist between the EU and third countries, instead, they are planning to draw up copycat deals to those that already exist. I agree with that, what is your view?

OP, why would any country sign a trade deal with the UK that is the same as the deal they have signed with the EU?

The UK is not as big a market as the EU and the UK will no longer give unfettered access to the EU market. I understand why brexiteers would want to believe that this is an option but can you (or anyone) tell me what is in it for all those countries with trade deals with the EU?"

That is right as it got the same deal and not a big market, also it doesnt make sense for other countries like china, usa to make deals cos it would cost too much to import/export, the reality of brexit is different from a fantasy as they have rolled the dice with the devil.

"Well some of us have been saying for months and months that this was the case. Some others insisted that the EU was just slow and made things difficult (despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary) and that these deals would be easily sorted in no time at all.

If Brexiteers had any shame they'd be embarrassed at being shown up again as being completely in the wrong at this. But the deeper we get into Brexit the more common this is becoming.

Ill add it to the list along with there being a divorce bill, a supranational court above the UK courts, sequencing for the negotiations and the other things they got completely wrong because they dont underatand what they're talking about."

"Deals are two way street agreements and the UK isn't in the strongest position to agree anything anymore.

Countries will want to keep the UK as an interim hopping point for their stuff, whilst they get a better position in Europe - potentially demanding £££ from us, whilst they continue to keep some U.K. employment going, until they leave more fully.

This piss poor omni-shambles of a government that couldn't even secure a majority with their own MPs, is in no position to enforce the copy pasted terms of a phone book on to anybody but North Korea.

And we don't have any staff to negotiate with over 50 countries, whilst simultaneously trying to play bluff with the Europeans.

The true costs of this epic failure aren't borne by anyone but the average person in the street. Watch closely as Conservative politicians get very rich following all of this mess. "

That is right. I wonder who will be hold account for the failure of brexit as the reality will set in soon.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Who knows what will happen, just a long waiting game now.

By *xplicitlyricsMan  over a year ago

south dublin

"Who knows what will happen, just a long waiting game now."

The only surprising thing about Brexit was that people voted for it. Since then its moved along pretty predictably as long as you understood what was happening and where people stood.

The Tories are incompetent and their leadership a mess so of course they pissed away the only leverage they had and triggered Article 50 before they'd gotten concessions from the EU. Granted the EU put pressure on them to do this but that was obvious strategy for then to weaken the Tories negotiating position, as was the sequencing of talks.

The idea that we're staring into some great unknown in regards to the negotiations is nonsense spouted by idiots for the ignorant.

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

"Deals are two way street agreements and the UK isn't in the strongest position to agree anything anymore.

The true costs of this epic failure aren't borne by anyone but the average person in the street. Watch closely as Conservative politicians get very rich following all of this mess. That is right. I wonder who will be hold account for the failure of brexit as the reality will set in soon."

They will di is

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"I wonder who will be hold account for the failure of brexit as the reality will set in soon."

Not the Tory Eaton posh boys who caused it or the merchant wanker who spent 20 years fronting for the billionaires who will profit from it...

They will all be offski with the loot they have trowsered!

Which is a shame because what should really happen to them is they and all their families should be thrown to the mob to be ripped apart. The one thing you have to say for the French and Russian revolutions is they properly cleaned house!

Cambridge

The true costs of this epic failure aren't borne by anyone but the average person in the street. Watch closely as Conservative politicians get very rich following all of this mess. That is right. I wonder who will be hold account for the failure of brexit as the reality will set in soon.

They will di is "

Please ignore this pocket post!

By *oubepoMan  over a year ago

Spain Portugal France

I think the rest of us in Europe were quite surprised by the Brexit result

But what surprised me more was the campaign lead by the Remain camp, which was based purely on negativity should you leave

I can't recall one argument based on the positives should you remain

Judging by the comments I read on here, that level of negativity has seeped into every remainer and flows back out as a deep seated pessimism

I think the rest of Europe are quite glad the more optimistic Leave side won and when all the political hype is all over - it will be business and trade as usual

Seems - Had the Renainers won - the only thing you could export to us is bitterness and pessimism - We don't won't any of that thank you

Cambridge

"I think the rest of us in Europe were quite surprised by the Brexit result

But what surprised me more was the campaign lead by the Remain camp, which was based purely on negativity should you leave

Judging by the comments I read on here, that level of negativity has seeped into every remainer and flows back out as a deep seated pessimism

I think the rest of Europe are quite glad the more optimistic Leave side won and when all the political hype is all over - it will be business and trade as usual

Seems - Had the Renainers won - the only thing you could export to us is bitterness and pessimism - We don't won't any of that thank you

"

Yet the EU are telling us Brexit can be reversed. Its pretty clear they would prefer we stayed.

Spain Portugal France

Yet the EU are telling us Brexit can be reversed. Its pretty clear they would prefer we stayed. "

Our Eu bureaucrats want you to stay of course - because you pay their wages, support their life style, accommodation, travel and keep their children in free education - You also pay 12 - 14 % of the EU budget - I'd want you to stay too if I was a European bureaucrat lol

"

Take it you will be moving then once its finalised

"Who knows what will happen, just a long waiting game now.

The only surprising thing about Brexit was that people voted for it. Since then its moved along pretty predictably as long as you understood what was happening and where people stood.

The Tories are incompetent and their leadership a mess so of course they pissed away the only leverage they had and triggered Article 50 before they'd gotten concessions from the EU. Granted the EU put pressure on them to do this but that was obvious strategy for then to weaken the Tories negotiating position, as was the sequencing of talks.

The idea that we're staring into some great unknown in regards to the negotiations is nonsense spouted by idiots for the ignorant."

I'm just annoyed with myself for not sticking to my guns and betting against the pound.

It's all playing out as predicted

"I

Our Eu bureaucrats want you to stay of course - because you pay their wages, support their life style, accommodation, travel and keep their children in free education - You also pay 12 - 14 % of the EU budget - I'd want you to stay too if I was a European bureaucrat lol

"

I don't agree with this line of thinking (aside from the 12 to 14 percent)

(a) I assume that as an EU bureaucrat that they are already very well off personally and thus lack (strong) motivation for more personal gain

(b) While I'm sure some are greedy scum there must be at least a few operating from a gallant sense of civic duty

(c) It's all a bit tabloidesque

Spain Portugal France

"I

(a) I assume that as an EU bureaucrat that they are already very well off personally and thus lack (strong) motivation for more personal gain

(b) While I'm sure some are greedy scum there must be at least a few operating from a gallant sense of civic duty

(c) It's all a bit tabloidesque"

I'm sure "there might be a few who operate from a gallant sense of duty" but it's the other 33,000 you should worry about! lol

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The true costs of this epic failure aren't borne by anyone but the average person in the street. Watch closely as Conservative politicians get very rich following all of this mess. That is right. I wonder who will be hold account for the failure of brexit as the reality will set in soon."

No one will be held to account for it - which is criminal. Many conservative politicians will personally gain huge sums imo from it, whilst other ordinary people suffer.

"I

(c) It's all a bit tabloidesque

I'm sure "there might be a few who operate from a gallant sense of duty" but it's the other 33,000 you should worry about! lol"

Total rubbish those figures you have posted are numbers employed by the EU...which tbh for the size of the EU os pretty small...a bit disingenuous on your part yet again...heres the figures for the UK...the EU's pales into insignificance.

Total UK public sector employment was 5.354 million

Employment in the NHS, at 1.620 million

Employment in UK local government, at 2.211 million

Employment in UK central government, at 2.963 million

Not my figures but the figures from the office for national statistics.

So stop with your disguised bullshit and veiled hated of the EU...if your going to post...at least post facts and the truth

Ah jaysis was the number of civil servants used to make it seem like there's load of beurokrauts

» Add a new message to this topic