FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > EU withdrawal bill passed.

EU withdrawal bill passed.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *entaur_UK OP   Man  over a year ago

Cannock

Another great victory for Brexit and the government, the EU withdrawal bill was just voted on in The House of Commons and passed with the following result....

For 326

Against 290

Majority 36

Some delusional remainers on here said this bill would never be passed so it's got to be said "I told you so" that it would be passed, lol. An opposition Labour ammendment to the bill was also voted on and rejected earlier by a similar majority. Corbyn instructed his own party to vote against the bill but it's clear now from the numbers some Labour MP's voted with the government on this. Roll on Brexit and March 2019.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

wrong ... it hasn't

"wrong ... it hasn't"

I've already told him that

Cannock

"wrong ... it hasn't

I've already told him that "

This was the main vote on this bill and the bill passed. It will go to committee stage now but commitee stage will not stop this bill, only make ammendment or slight alterations to it. I'll be here saying "I told you so" again after the committee stage, lol.

Cannock

"wrong ... it hasn't"

Try turning on the news, I think you'll find it has.

so it hasn't been passed then

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"Another great victory for Brexit and the government, the EU withdrawal bill was just voted on in The House of Commons and passed with the following result....

For 326

Against 290

Majority 36

Some delusional remainers on here said this bill would never be passed so it's got to be said "I told you so" that it would be passed, lol. An opposition Labour ammendment to the bill was also voted on and rejected earlier by a similar majority. Corbyn instructed his own party to vote against the bill but it's clear now from the numbers some Labour MP's voted with the government on this. Roll on Brexit and March 2019. "

Yep...

Nothing quite like cheering the first step in the rolling back of 550 years of democratic progress...

Brexit the gift that just keeps giving.

Cannock

"so it hasn't been passed then

"

I watched it live on BBC Parliament channel, it's also on all the main news stations now. Result 326 for and 290 against. I'm not sure which part of that result you are failing to grasp.

you're utterly deluded ... but that's standard

"It will also convert all existing EU laws into UK law, to ensure there are no gaps in legislation on Brexit day."

I think we should have a purge night where all laws are removed before the transition

Cannock

"Another great victory for Brexit and the government, the EU withdrawal bill was just voted on in The House of Commons and passed with the following result....

For 326

Against 290

Majority 36

Some delusional remainers on here said this bill would never be passed so it's got to be said "I told you so" that it would be passed, lol. An opposition Labour ammendment to the bill was also voted on and rejected earlier by a similar majority. Corbyn instructed his own party to vote against the bill but it's clear now from the numbers some Labour MP's voted with the government on this. Roll on Brexit and March 2019.

Yep...

Nothing quite like cheering the first step in the rolling back of 550 years of democratic progress...

Brexit the gift that just keeps giving. "

This bill is an essential part of Brexit. So yeah 17 and a half million people who voted for Brexit will be cheering tonight. It's great news for Leave supporters.

I wonder where your (and other remainers) concern was about democratic progress and accountability during the last 40 years of EU membership where we had THOUSANDS of EU laws and regulations passed into UK law without any votes in Parliament or The House of Commons, no scrutiny of these laws and no veto to stop any of these laws. Frankly I find it pathetic now all these EU luvvies are suddenly raising concerns because we want to reverse all that.

By *inkyHnSCouple  over a year ago

The Council of Elrond

Welcome to the fucked up UK democracy eh where UK Parliament gave ultimate power to the Tories. So much for democracy,eh?

I cant believe anyone would be jumping for joy at giving Whitehall the power to change laws without Parliamentary scrutiny so much for democracy

It really is a power grab now is anyone wondering why people in Scotland want to get the fuck away from the UK

For 326

Against 290

Majority 36

Yep...

This bill is an essential part of Brexit. So yeah 17 and a half million people who voted for Brexit will be cheering tonight. It's great news for Leave supporters.

I wonder where your (and other remainers) concern was about democratic progress and accountability during the last 40 years of EU membership where we had THOUSANDS of EU laws and regulations passed into UK law without any votes in Parliament or The House of Commons, no scrutiny of these laws and no veto to stop any of these laws. Frankly I find it pathetic now all these EU luvvies are suddenly raising concerns because we want to reverse all that. "

They never voted for that as you well know....lots of Tories arnt happy with it either

Senior Tories issue warning to PM over Brexit bill after vote

Conservative MPs have warned Theresa May that their support for her government’s Brexit legislation is not unconditional, as they prepared to demand significant changes to the EU withdrawal bill minutes after backing it in parliament.

Despite no expected Tory rebellion during the midnight vote of the bill’s second reading, senior backbenchers were among those racing to lay down critical amendments immediately afterwards.

Their calls for change come alongside those of MPs from across the House of Commons, including a series of demands from opposition frontbenches.

The Guardian's Brexit Means ... Is Britain expecting the impossible? Brexit Means... podcast

‘Nobody said it would be easy,’ says David Davis. We discuss what has been making life difficult for the Brexit secretary this week

Listen

Significantly, the former attorney general Dominic Grieve, who has been highly critical of the legislation. teamed up with John Penrose MP to warn against a power grab by ministers through so-called Henry VIII powers.

Cannock

"Welcome to the fucked up UK democracy eh where UK Parliament gave ultimate power to the Tories. So much for democracy,eh?

I cant believe anyone would be jumping for joy at giving Whitehall the power to change laws without Parliamentary scrutiny so much for democracy

It really is a power grab now is anyone wondering why people in Scotland want to get the fuck away from the UK "

People in Scotland don't want to get away though, you had a referendum in 2014 and Scotland voted to remain part of the UK.

"Welcome to the fucked up UK democracy eh where UK Parliament gave ultimate power to the Tories. So much for democracy,eh?

It really is a power grab now is anyone wondering why people in Scotland want to get the fuck away from the UK "

The scummy Tories gave it to themselves with the help of the party they bribed plus a few backboneless Labour MP's ....but its not over yet...as we have just seen with other things

""It will also convert all existing EU laws into UK law, to ensure there are no gaps in legislation on Brexit day."

I think we should have a purge night where all laws are removed before the transition "

bags I get to dish out the first purge

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

I was never in any doubt that it would pass second reading. It's still got a long way to go before it's actually passed into law.

The reality is is that, if we're going to have a BREXIT then this bill, or something like it, is absolutely vital for it to stand any chance of not being a total disaster. However, if amendments aren't made before it gets back for it's final vote it may still not make it into law.

The Council of Elrond

It really is a power grab now is anyone wondering why people in Scotland want to get the fuck away from the UK

People in Scotland don't want to get away though, you had a referendum in 2014 and Scotland voted to remain part of the UK. "

Really ? Have you gone about asking every single person living in Scotland how they feel now in 2017 if they want to stay in the UK or leave the UK ? Thought not

Yes back in 2014 55% said no thats been and gone we are in 2017 and since that referendum in 2014 can i remind you of this

2015 - SNP

2016 - SNP

2017 - SNP

Cannock

For 326

Against 290

Majority 36

Yep...

I wonder where your (and other remainers) concern was about democratic progress and accountability during the last 40 years of EU membership where we had THOUSANDS of EU laws and regulations passed into UK law without any votes in Parliament or The House of Commons, no scrutiny of these laws and no veto to stop any of these laws. Frankly I find it pathetic now all these EU luvvies are suddenly raising concerns because we want to reverse all that.

They never voted for that as you well know....lots of Tories arnt happy with it either

Conservative MPs have warned Theresa May that their support for her government’s Brexit legislation is not unconditional, as they prepared to demand significant changes to the EU withdrawal bill minutes after backing it in parliament.

Despite no expected Tory rebellion during the midnight vote of the bill’s second reading, senior backbenchers were among those racing to lay down critical amendments immediately afterwards.

Their calls for change come alongside those of MPs from across the House of Commons, including a series of demands from opposition frontbenches.

The Guardian's Brexit Means ... Is Britain expecting the impossible? Brexit Means... podcast

‘Nobody said it would be easy,’ says David Davis. We discuss what has been making life difficult for the Brexit secretary this week

Listen

Significantly, the former attorney general Dominic Grieve, who has been highly critical of the legislation. teamed up with John Penrose MP to warn against a power grab by ministers through so-called Henry VIII powers.

"

As I told you before there are only a handful of Tory diehard Remainers who will try to wreck Brexit at any opportunity, Ken Clarke, Nicky Morgan and Anna Soubry (I wouldn't class Dominic Grieve in the same class as those 3 swivel eyed loons). On the opposition benches you have around 20 Brexit supporting Labour MP's who will back the government on Brexit votes and that was shown in effect tonight. One thing I think you keep forgetting too is Corbyn is also a Brexiter, always has been and always will be.

so lets re-cap ... the bill hasn't been passed yet despite what some delusional fantasists might claim

The Council of Elrond

The scummy Tories gave it to themselves with the help of the party they bribed plus a few backboneless Labour MP's ....but its not over yet...as we have just seen with other things "

Dont forget the 13 Scottish Tory mps that all voted with the government

Also i find it interesting the Scottish Tory branch leader said on BBC Scotland if there was a 2nd EU referendum she would fight for remain again strange eh as only a come of days ago same Ruth Davidson was saying how the UK has to make the best of brexit

Ruth has answers to answer on why her 13 Scottish Tory mps voted for giving Whitehall power to change laws

I tried to tell you all the Torie put party before the people never trust a Tory thats something England need to learn very fast or the UK is fucked

For 326

Against 290

Majority 36

Yep...

Listen

As I told you before there are only a handful of Tory diehard Remainers who will try to wreck Brexit at any opportunity, Ken Clarke, Nicky Morgan and Anna Soubry (I wouldn't class Dominic Grieve in the same class as those 3 swivel eyed loons). On the opposition benches you have around 20 Brexit supporting Labour MP's who will back the government on Brexit votes and that was shown in effect tonight. One thing I think you keep forgetting too is Corbyn is also a Brexiter, always has been and always will be. "

Brexit is going to happen i agree and accept it.....but im not accepting that they have taken away what YOU voted for...democracy the very thing you base most your arguments on...cant you see that...why take it away from one set of bureaucrats and hand it to another...thats the baffling thing about YOU applauding this

Cannock

People in Scotland don't want to get away though, you had a referendum in 2014 and Scotland voted to remain part of the UK.

Really ? Have you gone about asking every single person living in Scotland how they feel now in 2017 if they want to stay in the UK or leave the UK ? Thought not

Yes back in 2014 55% said no thats been and gone we are in 2017 and since that referendum in 2014 can i remind you of this

2015 - SNP

2016 - SNP

2017 - SNP

"

Can I remind you what just happened in the general election earlier this year. The SNP took a beating and the Tories took a number of SNP seats in Scotland. The SNP's best days are behind it, Sturgeon has finally put a sock in it about independence because she knows she's onto a loser.

Widnes

For 326

Against 290

Majority 36

Yep...

I wonder where your (and other remainers) concern was about democratic progress and accountability during the last 40 years of EU membership where we had THOUSANDS of EU laws and regulations passed into UK law without any votes in Parliament or The House of Commons, no scrutiny of these laws and no veto to stop any of these laws. Frankly I find it pathetic now all these EU luvvies are suddenly raising concerns because we want to reverse all that. "

Whilst I don't agree with you that there was no scrutiny or democratic votes on EU legislation even if you were correct I fail to see how giving powers to change this legislation to government ministers with no scrutiny actually adds to the democratic process of the UK.

The Council of Elrond

2015 - SNP

2016 - SNP

2017 - SNP

Can I remind you what just happened in the general election earlier this year. The SNP took a beating and the Tories took a number of SNP seats in Scotland. The SNP's best days are behind it, Sturgeon has finally put a sock in it about independence because she knows she's onto a loser. "

Can i remain you SNP still got a majority of 35 out of 59 Scottish seats in that UK election lol

What the fuck does that say about the Scottish unionist branch offices that even with there anti independence pish and trying to talk about devolved powers in a UK election they still couldnt get a majority of MP's in Scotland thats how shite the unionist branch offices are in Scotland

Good that you think independence is off the table will be all the sweetier when that shock on your face when a new independence referendum comes

Did you hear Nicola utter the words that she is 100% taking independence off the table ?

Hell even the Tories are still saying Nicola should take it off the table now why would they do such a thing if you believe independence is off the table eh ? lol

How is that for your UK democracy eh that you think an elected government should take a policy in their manifesto that they won the election off the table mad bunch you really are that you cant understand what a mandate is lol

Widnes

2015 - SNP

2016 - SNP

2017 - SNP

Can I remind you what just happened in the general election earlier this year. The SNP took a beating and the Tories took a number of SNP seats in Scotland. The SNP's best days are behind it, Sturgeon has finally put a sock in it about independence because she knows she's onto a loser.

Can i remain you SNP still got a majority of 35 out of 59 Scottish seats in that UK election lol

What the fuck does that say about the Scottish unionist branch offices that even with there anti independence pish and trying to talk about devolved powers in a UK election they still couldnt get a majority of MP's in Scotland thats how shite the unionist branch offices are in Scotland

Good that you think independence is off the table will be all the sweetier when that shock on your face when a new independence referendum comes

Did you hear Nicola utter the words that she is 100% taking independence off the table ?

Hell even the Tories are still saying Nicola should take it off the table now why would they do such a thing if you believe independence is off the table eh ? lol

How is that for your UK democracy eh that you think an elected government should take a policy in their manifesto that they won the election off the table mad bunch you really are that you cant understand what a mandate is lol"

The problem with mandates is that they are often over stated. It would be a mistake for the SNP to assume that every vote in a general election for them is a vote for independence to. Many Tories in what were strong Labour areas used to vote SNP to try to stop Labour getting a majority in Westminster.

Whilst not being in favour of Scottish independence there are many who accept your argument that the BREXIT vote does provide Nicola with a mandate for a new referendum (she said she'd ask for one if Scotland voted to remain but the UK voted to leave and won the Scottish election saying that before the EU referendum and, although with a reduced majority, the general election after).

If Nicola wants another Indy referendum she can and will have one, she has both a mandate and the law behind her. The only thing any UK government can do is say when, not whether.

However, whilst BREXIT may light the fuse when it goes badly, and I believe it will, it could also kill Scottish Independence. Everything that makes BREXIT a bad idea for the UK also applies to the Scottish / England union but even more so.

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

The scummy Tories gave it to themselves with the help of the party they bribed plus a few backboneless Labour MP's ....but its not over yet...as we have just seen with other things "

Mmmm. ....

Voting against what your party is instructing you to vote for. Defying what seems to be a vindictive leadership team?

Yep, totally spineless of them.

despite the alt-reich's factually alternative claim that the bill was passed last night, i woke up and read the news from multiple sources that it hasn't ... oh these neo-fascists and their fake news. you have to admire these clowns who persistently keep us in fits of laughter with their comedic antics

This is just the first prelim stage in what will be a long drawn out process that will keep lawyers busy and rich for years

bloody hell taff! be ti'n gwneud yma? it must be pissing down with glaw i fyny yno for you to be indoors malu cachu gyda ni lawer lol

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

Backboneless? Dennis Skinner.

By *omaMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"despite the alt-reich's factually alternative claim that the bill was passed last night, i woke up and read the news from multiple sources that it hasn't ... oh these neo-fascists and their fake news. you have to admire these clowns who persistently keep us in fits of laughter with their comedic antics "

There's nothing quite as funny as a sore loser ha ha

"despite the alt-reich's factually alternative claim that the bill was passed last night, i woke up and read the news from multiple sources that it hasn't ... oh these neo-fascists and their fake news. you have to admire these clowns who persistently keep us in fits of laughter with their comedic antics

There's nothing quite as funny as a sore loser ha ha "

yeah i know that's why we're laughing at the op's blunder thinking the bill became law last night pmsl

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"bloody hell taff! be ti'n gwneud yma? it must be pissing down with glaw i fyny yno for you to be indoors malu cachu gyda ni lawer lol"

OK let's get it right.

Last night the bill passed its first reading. So (as far as it could on the night) it did pass.

However it has not passed into law. It will now go to committee stage and will be amended, slightly or drastically. It will then go back to the commons for its second reading and vote.

that's right ... as i said when i corrected thee OP by using the facts, the bill wasn't passed last night ... thanks for agreeing gran'pa

By *anesjhCouple  over a year ago

LONDON.

"despite the alt-reich's factually alternative claim that the bill was passed last night, i woke up and read the news from multiple sources that it hasn't ... oh these neo-fascists and their fake news. you have to admire these clowns who persistently keep us in fits of laughter with their comedic antics

There's nothing quite as funny as a sore loser ha ha .. "

ahh .. clearly another of the circus entertainers we mentioned earlier

so lets help the hard of thinking .... the bill wasn't passed last night .... and that's a fact folks ... despite the neue idioten claims that it did

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

So sad and bitter you are

By *oingdown2Man  over a year ago

angus

Lots of sun and daily mail readers here today.

"Lots of sun and daily mail readers here today. "
Yep they didnt get past the front page.

"Lots of sun and daily mail readers here today. Yep they didnt get past the front page. "

if they had the ability to read words then they would've noticed that none of the front pages mention their claim that the bill was passed last night ... mostly because it didn't happen pmsl

"Lots of sun and daily mail readers here today. Yep they didnt get past the front page.

if they had the ability to read words then they would've noticed that none of the front pages mention their claim that the bill was passed last night ... mostly because it didn't happen pmsl "

I'm guessing the brexiters are getting frustrated with the snail pace of brexit and prematurely ejaculated this morning.

"Lots of sun and daily mail readers here today. Yep they didnt get past the front page.

if they had the ability to read words then they would've noticed that none of the front pages mention their claim that the bill was passed last night ... mostly because it didn't happen pmsl I'm guessing the brexiters are getting frustrated with the snail pace of brexit and prematurely ejaculated this morning. "

that's not jizz on their faces .... it's egg

By *uxinteriorMan  over a year ago

south west , continental

Well you can pick hairs if you want the bill was passed early hours of this morning! That's an official statement from the prime minister.

Not that I really give a flying fig!

"Well you can pick hairs if you want the bill was passed early hours of this morning! That's an official statement from the prime minister.

"

in fact you care so little that you decide to post on this thread lol

despite the fact that you are wrong .. and the irrefutable fact that the bill was not passed last night and the bigger fact that there are more layers of democratic process before that happens pmsl

Cannock

"Well you can pick hairs if you want the bill was passed early hours of this morning! That's an official statement from the prime minister.

"

We all know the bill passed 2nd reading last night. The resident village idiot of the politics forum seems to be in denial though, just ignore the nonsensical trolling comments from him in the full knowledge that the bill passed and we are leaving the EU in March 2019.

LONDON.

We all know the bill passed 2nd reading last night. The resident village idiot of the politics forum seems to be in denial though, just ignore the nonsensical trolling comments from him in the full knowledge that the bill passed and we are leaving the EU in March 2019. "

The Council of Elrond

We all know the bill passed 2nd reading last night. The resident village idiot of the politics forum seems to be in denial though, just ignore the nonsensical trolling comments from him in the full knowledge that the bill passed and we are leaving the EU in March 2019. "

When you say ''we'' Are you meaning England ?

Hey Pieces....... what are you on?.... delusionaprofin???

Cannock

We all know the bill passed 2nd reading last night. The resident village idiot of the politics forum seems to be in denial though, just ignore the nonsensical trolling comments from him in the full knowledge that the bill passed and we are leaving the EU in March 2019.

When you say ''we'' Are you meaning England ? "

No the UK. The UK as a whole voted to leave the EU so that's what will happen. If Scotland wants another independence referendum it won't happen until after Brexit, and then the SNP will still lose.

so the bill is now law then is it? lol

Cannock

"Hey Pieces....... what are you on?.... delusionaprofin???"

Yeah is the same delusionaprofin Tony Blair took before his appearance on The Andrew Marr show on Sunday.

moston

" We all know the bill passed 2nd reading last night. The resident village idiot of the politics forum seems to be in denial though, just ignore the nonsensical trolling comments from him in the full knowledge that the bill passed and we are leaving the EU in March 2019. "

Everyone knows we are leaving the EU. Everyone understands that some of 40 years worth of laws will have to be transposed from their current EU to a pure English law (remember Scotland has its own laws and does not seem to need its own bill to incorporate laws already on the book to incorporate them onto the statute book) to placate the totally willfully ignorant slavering masses of brexit xenophobes who believe this is all about Parliament taking back control. Of course the thing about the Henry VIII clause is that it is time limited and will only be law for 2 years from 29/3/19. So May is giving herself and her ministers absolute power for 2 years.

You being so clever Centaur and understanding so much about how great brexit is and all maybe you can explain to this village idiot the why May requires absolute power and the justification for restricting it to her alone? At the same time as doing that will you please take post the photo of you bending over backwards and inserting your head in your arse because if your able to justify May giving herself absolute power not only are you flexible enough to insert your head in aforesaid orifice your plainly also talking out of it.

I await your reply (and photos) with baited breath.

simple flow chart

has the bill gone to the lords - no - the bill hasn't passed yet

second flow chart ....

are you saying the bill has been passed - yes -you are an idiot

The Council of Elrond

When you say ''we'' Are you meaning England ?

No the UK. The UK as a whole voted to leave the EU so that's what will happen. If Scotland wants another independence referendum it won't happen until after Brexit, and then the SNP will still lose. "

Ah right i see so you are more than happy to see Scotland the country in the UK that voted to remain be dragged out of the EU ? Thats very nice of you

Also then your saying you would be happy to deny the Scottish people their right to make a choice when the brexit deal is known and just before the UK leave for Scotland to decide on if they agree to brexit or not very nice of you

I feel so damn welcome in this so called family of nations where am getting told shut up your coming out whether you like it or not

No no if the UK government going down this road of a hard brexit then Scotland WILL have an independence referendum before the UK leaves the Scottish government have a mandate from the Scottish people.

If England want to leave the EU hey i have no problem with that and the ones in England that voted remain and see the mess brexit is going to be are more than welcome to call Scotland their home we couldnt give flying fuck where you are born if you want to come Scotland your home then back bloody god your Scottish to us.

People in Scotland don't want to get away though, you had a referendum in 2014 and Scotland voted to remain part of the UK. "

Influenced by Cameron'z promises.. Which he reneged on, being a typical slimy two faced, self serving toff

For 326

Against 290

Majority 36

Yep...

Brexit the gift that just keeps giving. "

I'm pro Brexit But this bill does bother me s bit ?

Why not move the laws to ours But Any changes should have to be Past by our Parliament First !!!

That's why I Voted Brexit !

The Council of Elrond

[Removed by poster at 12/09/17 22:56:49]

The Council of Elrond

Genuine question here

Can anyone name one single new power that will be devolved to Scotland after Brexit?

farming, fishing, environment, justice, education are all devolved to Scotland and the UK Government will take those powers and they have not said that they will return a single one of those powers.

Ask yourself why the Tories are not coming out in saying any 100% Scotland will keep those devolved powers and get a lot of new ones

Scotland DID NOT vote for the Tories if people want to believe the UK is one big happy union then you're kidding yourself there is no family of nations the Tories can go fuck themselves and shove Westminster up there arse!!

England need to catch up with the rest of us and get these Tory scumbags to hell before you're out on the street and living off foodbanks they dont care about you they all they want is to keep themselves rich while the screw the poor

By *bandjam91Couple  over a year ago

London

As usual you're being a simpleton.

With 157 proposed amendments over 59 pages this bill is far from passed.

Also, regardless of where you stand on Brexit everyone should want the bill to be further amended, because in its current form it undermines the sovereignty of parliament by giving the government sweeping powers. (Isn't that kind of what Brexit was all about)

The Council of Elrond

Also, regardless of where you stand on Brexit everyone should want the bill to be further amended, because in its current form it undermines the sovereignty of parliament by giving the government sweeping powers. (Isn't that kind of what Brexit was all about)"

Yeah try telling the hardcore leave voters that for them its out of the EU at any cost even if it means handing the Tories unlimited power to change any law they want and keep powers are are already devolved

If this bill does pass the UK is royally fucked!!

The Council of Elrond

If thats not bad enough i see MPs vote 320 to 301 to give the Tories a majority on key Commons committees

So much for UK democracy eh what i see is Tory dictatorship and Labour are allowing them to get away with it.

I remember get told the SNP have no mandate for an independence referendum even they there is a majority of pro indy Scottish MP's and MSP's

By *evilsAdvocate72Woman  over a year ago

East

" We all know the bill passed 2nd reading last night. The resident village idiot of the politics forum seems to be in denial though, just ignore the nonsensical trolling comments from him in the full knowledge that the bill passed and we are leaving the EU in March 2019.

Everyone knows we are leaving the EU. Everyone understands that some of 40 years worth of laws will have to be transposed from their current EU to a pure English law (remember Scotland has its own laws and does not seem to need its own bill to incorporate laws already on the book to incorporate them onto the statute book) to placate the totally willfully ignorant slavering masses of brexit xenophobes who believe this is all about Parliament taking back control. Of course the thing about the Henry VIII clause is that it is time limited and will only be law for 2 years from 29/3/19. So May is giving herself and her ministers absolute power for 2 years.

You being so clever Centaur and understanding so much about how great brexit is and all maybe you can explain to this village idiot the why May requires absolute power and the justification for restricting it to her alone? At the same time as doing that will you please take post the photo of you bending over backwards and inserting your head in your arse because if your able to justify May giving herself absolute power not only are you flexible enough to insert your head in aforesaid orifice your plainly also talking out of it.

I await your reply (and photos) with baited breath. "

PMSL

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

For 326

Against 290

Majority 36

Some delusional remainers on here said this bill would never be passed so it's got to be said "I told you so" that it would be passed, lol. An opposition Labour ammendment to the bill was also voted on and rejected earlier by a similar majority. Corbyn instructed his own party to vote against the bill but it's clear now from the numbers some Labour MP's voted with the government on this. Roll on Brexit and March 2019. "

Someone doesn't understand the difference between a bill becoming law and a bill moving through parliament.....you really do need to read up on how parliament works

For 326

Against 290

Majority 36

Will the bremoaners be wearing sandwich boards outside Westminster 'the end is nigh' or, will they accept it's happening (for the better or worse) and try to make the best out of it they can.? Getting fed up their doom mongering... If it happens it happens

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

For 326

Against 290

Majority 36

Will the bremoaners be wearing sandwich boards outside Westminster 'the end is nigh' or, will they accept it's happening (for the better or worse) and try to make the best out of it they can.? Getting fed up their doom mongering... If it happens it happens "

I'll stop being a 'bremoaner' when someone provides evidence and a plan for how Brexit is going to work.

If all you have is silly little insult names and pleas to just 'accept it's happening' then that's not going to cut it.

Widnes

Also, regardless of where you stand on Brexit everyone should want the bill to be further amended, because in its current form it undermines the sovereignty of parliament by giving the government sweeping powers. (Isn't that kind of what Brexit was all about)

Yeah try telling the hardcore leave voters that for them its out of the EU at any cost even if it means handing the Tories unlimited power to change any law they want and keep powers are are already devolved

If this bill does pass the UK is royally fucked!!"

It wouldn't be any better if the bill was handing unlimited power to change the law to Labour, Liberal or even SNP ministers. The problem is not that the power is being passed to Tories, It's that it's being past to government ministers rather than parliament.

Widnes

For 326

Against 290

Majority 36

Will the bremoaners be wearing sandwich boards outside Westminster 'the end is nigh' or, will they accept it's happening (for the better or worse) and try to make the best out of it they can.? Getting fed up their doom mongering... If it happens it happens "

We won't accept it's going to happen until it actually has. However when, or if, BREXIT does actually happen we will make the best of it but at the moment the "best of it" is still to try and stop it.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"wrong ... it hasn't

I've already told him that

This was the main vote on this bill and the bill passed. It will go to committee stage now but commitee stage will not stop this bill, only make ammendment or slight alterations to it. I'll be here saying "I told you so" again after the committee stage, lol. "

and by "minor alterations" you mean the 200 plus amendment proposals that have been made so far....... and some of them are huge!!!!

all the "2nd reading" does is allows it to go to committee stage when the bill can then be disected line by line if needed.... before it comes back to be debated on and voted on... and then go to the lords for their amendments to be added....

thats why the tory mps who are against the form on brexit the government seem to be taking didn't vote against at this stage because they get to add their own amendments (of which about 30 of the 200 so far come from the pro european group of soft brexit tory mp's) and get the chance to vote amd do that at the next stage,

and thats also why the labour party made the "reasoned amendment" saying they were not aginst brexit as such, but were against some of the power grabs the government seem to take as part of the process... the henry 8th powers, clause 6, clause 9, ect ect......

you'll get a brexit... but it will be nowhere near as hard as you seem to want it, and that will be for the good of the entire country.....

see.... the thing about a lot of the major changes that will be voted on, is that where they will have labour party support, they will not be proposed by the labour front bench, as it would make it harder for tory mp's to vote on offical labour party policy! why they will do is give them to labour backbenchers so it gives tory backbenchers who agree an amount of cover to distance themselves!

Cannock

The scummy Tories gave it to themselves with the help of the party they bribed plus a few backboneless Labour MP's ....but its not over yet...as we have just seen with other things

Mmmm. ....

Voting against what your party is instructing you to vote for. Defying what seems to be a vindictive leadership team?

Yep, totally spineless of them."

It's actually quite funny now to see the loony left attacking each other over this. 7 Brexit backing Labour MP's voted with the government on the bill one of them being Dennis Skinner, now far left Corbyn supporters have been taking to social media and verbally attacking him calling him a 'scab' for voting with the government, lol. It was great that the bill passed this stage on Monday night but to see the left now tearing chunks out of each other is an added amusing bonus, lol.

[Removed by poster at 13/09/17 13:45:02]

the bill still hasn't been passed though ... even though some racists are still trying to press that it has ... but in the real world, the fact remains, it hasn't

"the bill still hasn't been passed though ... even though some racists are still trying to press that it has ... but in the real world, the fact remains, it hasn't "

He still wont believe you

moston

"and by "minor alterations" you mean the 200 plus amendment proposals that have been made so far....... and some of them are huge!!!!

all the "2nd reading" does is allows it to go to committee stage when the bill can then be disected line by line if needed.... before it comes back to be debated on and voted on... and then go to the lords for their amendments to be added....

thats why the tory mps who are against the form on brexit the government seem to be taking didn't vote against at this stage because they get to add their own amendments (of which about 30 of the 200 so far come from the pro european group of soft brexit tory mp's) and get the chance to vote amd do that at the next stage,

and thats also why the labour party made the "reasoned amendment" saying they were not aginst brexit as such, but were against some of the power grabs the government seem to take as part of the process... the henry 8th powers, clause 6, clause 9, ect ect......

you'll get a brexit... but it will be nowhere near as hard as you seem to want it, and that will be for the good of the entire country.....

see.... the thing about a lot of the major changes that will be voted on, is that where they will have labour party support, they will not be proposed by the labour front bench, as it would make it harder for tory mp's to vote on offical labour party policy! why they will do is give them to labour backbenchers so it gives tory backbenchers who agree an amount of cover to distance themselves!"

Fabio, I have to say I find it very disturbing that you an American know more about how our British parliamentary system works than many natives of this island. Something is very wrong.

Of course I am flattered that you not only have shown an interest in our governance but have taken the time to find out how it works. It is such a shame, nay disgrace, that any British person who claims to have an interest in politics does not have a basic understanding of the mechanics of lawmaking in the UK. But then in this case, going on posts here, we are talking about a person/people who would be cheering an army of brown shirted nazis goosestepping down Whitehall.

Newcastle and Gateshead

will... i'll let you into a secret.... there is a 6 part podcast series out there called parliament explained, it basically goes thru all the different aspects of the roles and processes...

it is easy to understand and best of all completely impartial.....

can be found in itunes and any good app store....

Cannock

Agree, quite a few of them on here too.

For 326

Against 290

Majority 36

Will the bremoaners be wearing sandwich boards outside Westminster 'the end is nigh' or, will they accept it's happening (for the better or worse) and try to make the best out of it they can.? Getting fed up their doom mongering... If it happens it happens

I'll stop being a 'bremoaner' when someone provides evidence and a plan for how Brexit is going to work.

If all you have is silly little insult names and pleas to just 'accept it's happening' then that's not goin cut it. "

Well I've got news for you it WILL have to cut it whingy boy, as that's all you have! Because your shit out pf options!

For 326

Against 290

Majority 36

If all you have is silly little insult names and pleas to just 'accept it's happening' then that's not going to cut it. "

Just to add, I'll leave the sillyness to experts like you

And yet another climbdown from this weak and wobbly government.... first bit of pressure they cave in....we really have no hope in these negotiations

LONDON.

For 326

Against 290

Majority 36

If all you have is silly little insult names and pleas to just 'accept it's happening' then that's not goin cut it.

Well I've got news for you it WILL have to cut it whingy boy, as that's all you have! Because your shit out pf options! "

moston

"will... i'll let you into a secret.... there is a 6 part podcast series out there called parliament explained, it basically goes thru all the different aspects of the roles and processes...

it is easy to understand and best of all completely impartial.....

can be found in itunes and any good app store...."

The law making process through history, their types and their place in the hierarchy of laws was the first topic when I studied law at 'A' level.

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

For 326

Against 290

Majority 36

If all you have is silly little insult names and pleas to just 'accept it's happening' then that's not going to cut it.

Just to add, I'll leave the sillyness to experts like you "

Oh wow, what a come back. I say that Brexiters need to have actual arguments and facts in order to get 'bremoaners' onside rather than insults, and you respond by...calling me silly. Thanks for proving my point, champ!

By *oubepoMan  over a year ago

Spain Portugal France

For 326

Against 290

Majority 36

Oh wow, what a come back. I say that Brexiters need to have actual arguments and facts in order to get 'bremoaners' onside rather than insults, and you respond by...calling me silly. Thanks for proving my point, champ! "

I don't think the Brexiters need you on side - they had the majority back in June 2016 and won - That's democracy

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

It wouldn't be any better if the bill was handing unlimited power to change the law to Labour, Liberal or even SNP ministers. The problem is not that the power is being passed to Tories, It's that it's being past to government ministers rather than parliament. "

This totally..

that some are unable to grasp this fact is worrying, or are happy for it to happen due to their ideology..

the idiots of the alt-reich trying to claim the laws made by europe are terrible but somehow these laws will magically become wonderful overnight when they are subsumed into british law .... fucking clowns lol

"

It wouldn't be any better if the bill was handing unlimited power to change the law to Labour, Liberal or even SNP ministers. The problem is not that the power is being passed to Tories, It's that it's being past to government ministers rather than parliament.

This totally..

that some are unable to grasp this fact is worrying, or are happy for it to happen due to their ideology..

"

Oh i think a lot are able to grasp it....me i wouldn't be happy for ANY party to have what the Tories are proposing

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's a omni-shambles of a mess to expect the country and it's citizens to have significant, essential legislation that incorporates major protection for them, to be within Henry the Eighth type wrappings. Too much power given away that could be lost without scrutiny. A sad wet dream for some

Cannock

"It's a omni-shambles of a mess to expect the country and it's citizens to have significant, essential legislation that incorporates major protection for them, to be within Henry the Eighth type wrappings. Too much power given away that could be lost without scrutiny. A sad wet dream for some "

7 Labour MP's voted for it. Caroline Flint made an excellent speech about it during the EU withdrawal bill debate, absolutely appalling the way she was heckled by other fellow Labour MP's in the middle of her speech.

Central

"It's a omni-shambles of a mess to expect the country and it's citizens to have significant, essential legislation that incorporates major protection for them, to be within Henry the Eighth type wrappings. Too much power given away that could be lost without scrutiny. A sad wet dream for some

7 Labour MP's voted for it. Caroline Flint made an excellent speech about it during the EU withdrawal bill debate, absolutely appalling the way she was heckled by other fellow Labour MP's in the middle of her speech. "

Behaviour of some MPs doesn't make it any more an appropriate vehicle to hold excessive powers at government level for such important law.

not by a long chalk it hasn't .... and the government got a kicking into the bargain

#titsup4thetories

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

So, if I've got it right, Parliament has just taken back sovereign control of the Brexit process.

That good isn't it?

Anyone notice how premature this thread was by our resident KIPPER

Cannock

"Anyone notice how premature this thread was by our resident KIPPER "

Ask yourself some simple questions....

Has the EU withdrawal bill been stopped?

Answer = No

Is the EU withdrawal bill still moving forward through Parliament since the vote earlier?

Answer = Yes (more votes on more ammendments happened after the vote on ammendment 7).

Was the vote earlier simply to add an ammendment to the existing bill?

Answer = Yes

in Lancashire

"Anyone notice how premature this thread was by our resident KIPPER

Answer = No

Is the EU withdrawal bill still moving forward through Parliament since the vote earlier?

Answer = Yes (more votes on more ammendments happened after the vote on ammendment 7).

Answer = Yes

"

agreed on all that yes..

Ask yourself this simple question?

does this amendment now mean that Parliament can and will keep the negotiations under the spotlight of 'Parliamentary scrutiny?'..

which will mean they can send it back to be amended?

take your time..

no spinning, ducking the question or bullshit allowed from you..

has the eu withdrawal bill been passed = NO

did the eu withdrawal bill get passed 13 weeks ago = NO

are these facts = Yes

Cannock

Answer = No

Answer = Yes

agreed on all that yes..

does this amendment now mean that Parliament can and will keep the negotiations under the spotlight of 'Parliamentary scrutiny?'..

take your time..

"

All the ammendment that was voted for today allows is for a vote on the deal in Parliament, nothing more and nothing less.

West London

Answer = No

Answer = Yes

agreed on all that yes..

take your time..

All the ammendment that was voted for today allows is for a vote on the deal in Parliament, nothing more and nothing less. "

Is that a good thing?

"All the ammendment that was voted for today allows is for a vote on the deal in Parliament, nothing more and nothing less. "

which means it's fact that the ludicrous claims that the eu withdrawal bill was passed 13 weeks ago was fantastical bullshit

in Lancashire

Answer = No

Answer = Yes

agreed on all that yes..

take your time..

All the ammendment that was voted for today allows is for a vote on the deal in Parliament, nothing more and nothing less. "

Yes..

A vote which you and I both know can go 2 ways..

Cannock

So as I said 18 weeks ago when this thread first started the EU Withdrawal bill had passed (first reading), it then went onto pass 2nd reading. It's passed another landmark stage today passing 3rd reading in the House of Commons with the following result...

324 in favour

295 against

Government Majority = 29

So far only 1 ammendment has been added to the bill which is a Tory ammendment (all Labour, Green, SNP and Lib dem ammendments have been rejected). The bill will now go onto the House of Lords but it's looking inevitable now that this bill will pass all stages and we can get on with leaving the EU in March 2019.

By *utandbigMan  over a year ago

Bournemouth

"So as I said 18 weeks ago when this thread first started the EU Withdrawal bill had passed (first reading), it then went onto pass 2nd reading. It's passed another landmark stage today passing 3rd reading in the House of Commons with the following result...

324 in favour

295 against

Government Majority = 29

So far only 1 ammendment has been added to the bill which is a Tory ammendment (all Labour, Green, SNP and Lib dem ammendments have been rejected). The bill will now go onto the House of Lords but it's looking inevitable now that this bill will pass all stages and we can get on with leaving the EU in March 2019. "

Dream on

By *uxinteriorMan  over a year ago

south west , continental

Be interesting to see what the Lords say and if they add amendments?

The whole process is like pulling teeth though.

I still can't believe that people still bang on about it, when in reality should accept what is happening is happening.

If people felt so strongly about this issue then surely they would have voted Liberal democrat as this was a clear manifesto pledge to try and overturn the referendum result.

As for myself I like to observe and take note, but my voting days are over and I prefer to just let the world keep spinning whilst I try and lead as self sustainable low impact life as possible, whilst laughing at the cock ups, rhetoric and hatred that is spewed out daily.

For 326

Against 290

Majority 36

Yep...

"

I wonder where your (and other remainers) concern was about democratic progress and accountability during the last 40 years of EU membership where we had THOUSANDS of EU laws and regulations passed into UK law without any votes in Parliament or The House of Commons, no scrutiny of these laws and no veto to stop any of these laws. "

That's demonstrably false, so perhaps you need to have another go at the righteous indignation angle.

Try harder this time.

"So as I said 18 weeks ago when this thread first started the EU Withdrawal bill had passed (first reading), it then went onto pass 2nd reading. It's passed another landmark stage today passing 3rd reading in the House of Commons with the following result...

324 in favour

295 against

Government Majority = 29

So far only 1 ammendment has been added to the bill which is a Tory ammendment (all Labour, Green, SNP and Lib dem ammendments have been rejected). The bill will now go onto the House of Lords but it's looking inevitable now that this bill will pass all stages and we can get on with leaving the EU in March 2019. "

More spin from you its nowhere near passed yet

By *igsteve43Man  over a year ago

derby

324 in favour

295 against

Government Majority = 29

So far only 1 ammendment has been added to the bill which is a Tory ammendment (all Labour, Green, SNP and Lib dem ammendments have been rejected). The bill will now go onto the House of Lords but it's looking inevitable now that this bill will pass all stages and we can get on with leaving the EU in March 2019.

More spin from you its nowhere near passed yet "

Well the lords ultimately cannot stop it so just a question of time

324 in favour

295 against

Government Majority = 29

Well the lords ultimately cannot stop it so just a question of time"

Oh they can stop it....thats what they are there for

Cannock

324 in favour

295 against

Government Majority = 29

Oh they can stop it....thats what they are there for "

Did the House of Lords stop the article 50 vote going through Parliament?

Answer is no they didn't.

Sure the Lords threw a strop about the House of Commons voting by majority for article 50, then they tried adding some ammendments to it and they played ping pong with the Commons a few times before the article 50 vote went though in the end. The reason is because the House of Lords are not elected, it's the House of Commons whose word has more power because the House of Commons is the publicly elected body in Parliament.

324 in favour

295 against

Government Majority = 29

Sure the Lords threw a strop about the House of Commons voting by majority for article 50, then they tried adding some ammendments to it and they played ping pong with the Commons a few times before the article 50 vote went though in the end. The reason is because the House of Lords are not elected, it's the House of Commons whose word has more power because the House of Commons is the publicly elected body in Parliament. "

But they can still stop it if they so vote the way....so its not passed yet....a lot of the lords are unhappy with what May and Davis are doing so dont be celebrating yet

By *igsteve43Man  over a year ago

derby

324 in favour

295 against

Government Majority = 29

Sure the Lords threw a strop about the House of Commons voting by majority for article 50, then they tried adding some ammendments to it and they played ping pong with the Commons a few times before the article 50 vote went though in the end. The reason is because the House of Lords are not elected, it's the House of Commons whose word has more power because the House of Commons is the publicly elected body in Parliament.

But they can still stop it if they so vote the way....so its not passed yet....a lot of the lords are unhappy with what May and Davis are doing so dont be celebrating yet "

Sorry but they lost the power to veto a bill in 1911 they can return it to the commons asking for amend ments three times after which government can just push it through so it is just a question of time

324 in favour

295 against

Government Majority = 29

But they can still stop it if they so vote the way....so its not passed yet....a lot of the lords are unhappy with what May and Davis are doing so dont be celebrating yet

Sorry but they lost the power to veto a bill in 1911 they can return it to the commons asking for amend ments three times after which government can just push it through so it is just a question of time"

They can stop it going through for two years....so not quite passed yet

so it still hasn't passed yet .... despite the fantastical claims of some

324 in favour

295 against

Government Majority = 29

But they can still stop it if they so vote the way....so its not passed yet....a lot of the lords are unhappy with what May and Davis are doing so dont be celebrating yet "

Don't worry, once we have Brexit and we are clear of the EU, the next thing on our list is Reshaping House of Lords

324 in favour

295 against

Government Majority = 29

Don't worry, once we have Brexit and we are clear of the EU, the next thing on our list is Reshaping House of Lords "

You mean you want to hand power to an elected parliament

By *ilent.KnightMan  over a year ago

Swindon

324 in favour

295 against

Government Majority = 29

Don't worry, once we have Brexit and we are clear of the EU, the next thing on our list is Reshaping House of Lords "

which bit of the lords need reshaping ? I’d reduce the number of heditary peers. But as a house where members are selected for their individual expertise, and with less political party influences I believe it serves a very valuable counterweight to the whipped career politicians in the lower house.

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

I'd scrap the lords its full of old ppl cant see the value in them at all

324 in favour

295 against

Government Majority = 29

Don't worry, once we have Brexit and we are clear of the EU, the next thing on our list is Reshaping House of Lords which bit of the lords need reshaping ? I’d reduce the number of heditary peers. But as a house where members are selected for their individual expertise, and with less political party influences I believe it serves a very valuable counterweight to the whipped career politicians in the lower house. "

The numbers need to be drastically reduced

reduced by two thirds would be ideal and zero pay for attending

"I'd scrap the lords its full of old ppl cant see the value in them at all "

Try taking a quick read of any civics book then. It should help you no end.

By *ilent.KnightMan  over a year ago

Swindon

"I'd scrap the lords its full of old ppl cant see the value in them at all

Try taking a quick read of any civics book then. It should help you no end."

the average age is about 69. Brexit supreme David Davis is what, a year short of that ? And given they are elected for experience I’m not surprised they’re on the older side.

Cannock

Well, well, well.

Just as I said 40 weeks ago when this thread was first posted, ...."The EU withdrawal bill has now passed".

Was always going to be the case.

The ping pong between the House of Commons and the House of Lords has now ended, all the Lords ammendments were rejected and defeated by the Commons. Tory remain rebel Dominic Grieve didn't even vote for his own ammendment on a 'meaningful vote' in the end either, lol.

After the government won the votes in the Commons today the bill went back to the Lords and the Lords accepted defeat and passed the bill. The EU Withdrawal bill will now be signed by the Queen and will become UK law within days.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Well, well, well.

Just as I said 40 weeks ago when this thread was first posted, ...."The EU withdrawal bill has now passed".

The ping pong between the House of Commons and the House of Lords has now ended, all the Lords ammendments were rejected and defeated by the Commons. Tory remain rebel Dominic Grieve didn't even vote for his own ammendment on a 'meaningful vote' in the end either, lol.

After the government won the votes in the Commons today the bill went back to the Lords and the Lords accepted defeat and passed the bill. The EU Withdrawal bill will now be signed by the Queen and will become UK law within days. "

yeah.... i wouldn't quite be that smug quite yet!

this is the 1st of the 3 bills she needs to get thru the process....

in fact you could say this was probably the easiest of the 3.... there is a trade bill and a customs bill that have significant brexit legistlation in them that will need to get thru....

we all think we will leave, i don't think there is any doubt in that.... I just don't believe you will get the sort of brexit you seem to lust after.....

Cannock

"Well, well, well.

After the government won the votes in the Commons today the bill went back to the Lords and the Lords accepted defeat and passed the bill. The EU Withdrawal bill will now be signed by the Queen and will become UK law within days.

yeah.... i wouldn't quite be that smug quite yet!

this is the 1st of the 3 bills she needs to get thru the process....

in fact you could say this was probably the easiest of the 3.... there is a trade bill and a customs bill that have significant brexit legistlation in them that will need to get thru....

we all think we will leave, i don't think there is any doubt in that.... I just don't believe you will get the sort of brexit you seem to lust after..... "

I think it was you acting smug last week when you posted your "Happy Eu withdrawal bill day" thread, thinking the government would be defeated on the 'meaningful vote' ammendment. Didn't quite work out as you hoped though, eh, did it Fabio.

I've been telling you time and time again that you didn't have the numbers, you ignored Labour Brexit backing MP's (4 of them voted with the government today). You always back losers Fabio, you backed Remain in the referendum and then Hillary Clinton in the USA and you backed Dominic Grieve, who bottled it today and was likened to the grand old Duke of York. What was it Anna Soubry said to brexiters last week? Oh yeah I believe she said "Suck it up!" Tables have turned now though maybe you should "Suck it up!" Fabio

moston

"Tables have turned now though maybe you should "Suck it up!" Fabio "

Do you know what I think is the ultimate sadness here Centy.

After all your (and others) posturing, both here and in the country, about returning control to parliament you (and they) are now crowing over the

at very Sovereignty of Parliament being eroded by the British Government and see it as a victory.

Newcastle and Gateshead

thats okay will.... i'm a big boy...

if you want to see what genuine comedy looks likes, see what centy insulted in the donald trump thread....

thats when you see he's not quite as "smart" as pretends to be here.....

moston

"thats okay will.... i'm a big boy...

if you want to see what genuine comedy looks likes, see what centy insulted in the donald trump thread....

thats when you see he's not quite as "smart" as pretends to be here....."

I saw that and thought I would not even dignify it with a reply.

What I said above was not in defence of you to be honest (your more than capable of doing that yourself). I was pointing out to Centy the total hypocrisy of his and most brexiteers position. But truth is I am sure nothing matters to Centy other than getting the UK out of the EU. I believe he would willingly sacrifice Parliamentary Sovereignty and even our democratic rights and freedoms under the law to see the EU fail. Because I believe Centy's greatest fear (so great he can't even admit it exists) is that the EU not only survives but prospers without the UK and that it is us who are on a path to oblivion.

By *urve BallWoman  over a year ago

North London

"Tables have turned now though maybe you should "Suck it up!" Fabio

After all your (and others) posturing, both here and in the country, about returning control to parliament you (and they) are now crowing over the

at very Sovereignty of Parliament being eroded by the British Government and see it as a victory. "

Cannock

at very Sovereignty of Parliament being eroded by the British Government and see it as a victory. "

Conservative MP Bill Cash summed up the argument very well in his speech just before the vote yesterday when he said "in this country we have a Parliamentary system which is run by government, and not the other way round which is government run by Parliament". That's the thing with people like you since day 1 of this process you've wanted to frustrate the process and you've wanted the government to have it's hands tied behind it's back in its negotiations with the EU, which would guarantee a bad deal. Maybe you want a bad deal though just so you could prove yourself right and say 'I told you so'.

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

That's because it's all lies, we have even has testimony to parliament confirming it's all lies.

Do they want the sovereignty of parliament? No.

Do they believe the civil service, ministers, the BofE, the security services, the Treasury? No.

Do you truly believe in British judges in British courts? No.

Central

So much for the importance of the sovereignty of parliament. The swivel eyed brigade deploy their weasel words as and when they want to warp minds, though any real principles are ideological and not moral or borne from civic responsibilities.

Cannock

"So much for the importance of the sovereignty of parliament. The swivel eyed brigade deploy their weasel words as and when they want to warp minds, though any real principles are ideological and not moral or borne from civic responsibilities."

Parliament exercised it's sovereignty yesterday and had a vote on it. Parliament sovereignty was served and parliament voted to make the EU Withdrawal bill legal in UK law.

Derby

"So much for the importance of the sovereignty of parliament. The swivel eyed brigade deploy their weasel words as and when they want to warp minds, though any real principles are ideological and not moral or borne from civic responsibilities."

EU Referendum Act 2015

Notification of EU Withdrawal Act 2017

Triggering of Article 50

EU Withdrawal Bill 2018

All voted on, and passed, by the sovereign UK Parliament.

Cambridge

"So much for the importance of the sovereignty of parliament. The swivel eyed brigade deploy their weasel words as and when they want to warp minds, though any real principles are ideological and not moral or borne from civic responsibilities.

EU Referendum Act 2015

Triggering of Article 50

EU Withdrawal Bill 2018

All voted on, and passed, by the sovereign UK Parliament."

Yet you have been saying for years that parliament WASN'T sovereign, the EU was. It goes to show how wrong you were!

"So much for the importance of the sovereignty of parliament. The swivel eyed brigade deploy their weasel words as and when they want to warp minds, though any real principles are ideological and not moral or borne from civic responsibilities.

Parliament exercised it's sovereignty yesterday and had a vote on it. Parliament sovereignty was served and parliament voted to make the EU Withdrawal bill legal in UK law. "

I’m confused. How can sovereignty be served when we’re still in the EU?

Derby

EU Referendum Act 2015

Triggering of Article 50

EU Withdrawal Bill 2018

Yet you have been saying for years that parliament WASN'T sovereign, the EU was. It goes to show how wrong you were!"

Please tell us if we could reduce our VAT rates to zero, if we wanted to.

Or does the EU tell us what VAT rates we have to comply with.

Forget about the argument of 'do you really think any government would reduce VAT rates', or 'we agreed as a sovereign nation to comply with EU VAT rulings'.

Hypothetically, if the UK government now wanted to scrap VAT could they? What if they wanted to replace VAT with a different form of taxation? Could they? Or would it be blocked by the EU?

That's just one example of where we don't have sovereignty.

For 326

Against 290

Majority 36

Oh wow, what a come back. I say that Brexiters need to have actual arguments and facts in order to get 'bremoaners' onside rather than insults, and you respond by...calling me silly. Thanks for proving my point, champ! "

Whatever yawn

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

EU Referendum Act 2015

Triggering of Article 50

EU Withdrawal Bill 2018

Yet you have been saying for years that parliament WASN'T sovereign, the EU was. It goes to show how wrong you were!

Forget about the argument of 'do you really think any government would reduce VAT rates', or 'we agreed as a sovereign nation to comply with EU VAT rulings'.

Hypothetically, if the UK government now wanted to scrap VAT could they? What if they wanted to replace VAT with a different form of taxation? Could they? Or would it be blocked by the EU?

That's just one example of where we don't have sovereignty."

What are you on today?

We adhere to EU Law, we adhere to international law relating to human rights, aviation, shipping, the environment and more.

Does the fact that we cannot adopt the policy of slavery anymore meannthat we don’t really have sovereignty?

Cannock

EU Referendum Act 2015

Triggering of Article 50

EU Withdrawal Bill 2018

What are you on today?

We adhere to EU Law, we adhere to international law relating to human rights, aviation, shipping, the environment and more.

Does the fact that we cannot adopt the policy of slavery anymore meannthat we don’t really have sovereignty?"

The remain campaign openly admitted that the sovereignty of the UK had been diminished and eroded by being in the EU all these years. The term remainers used was 'we pool our sovereignty with the EU', which means in laymens terms we have given our sovereignty away.

Derby

There was also a report from 1971 when we were considering joining that said we would be giving away substantial elements of our sovereignty....this report FC030/1048 was hidden from the public under under Official Secrets Act rules until the early 2000's

The classified paper, dated April 1971, suggested the Government should keep from the public what EEC membership meant, predicting that it would take 30 years for voters to realise what was happening by which time it would be 'too late to leave'.

"This country quite voluntarily surrendered the once seemingly immortal concept of the sovereignty of parliament and legislative freedom by membership of the European Union ... as a once sovereign power, we have said we want to be bound by Community law." - Judge Bruce Morgan, judgement in Sunderland metrication case April 9, 2001

North West

[Removed by poster at 21/06/18 17:57:27]

North West

So the Government (this Govt) White Paper on Article 50 that states unequivocally that the United Kingdom is and always has been Sovereign - was it a lie? Has the U.K. Govt issued a blatant lie in a White Paper?

Or is this just more pathetic snowflakeness from Leavers again?

The U.K. was (is) in an equal and democratic political and economic union with other Sovereign European States.

Ask the Scots about losing sovereignty in the undemocratic United Kingdom and you might understand why they would be happier to be in an equal and democratic European Union instead of an unfairly weighted and undemocratic United Kingdom.

"So the Government (this Govt) White Paper on Article 50 that states unequivocally that the United Kingdom is and always has been Sovereign - was it a lie? Has the U.K. Govt issued a blatant lie in a White Paper?

The U.K. was (is) in an equal and democratic political and economic union with other Sovereign European States.

Ask the Scots about losing sovereignty in the undemocratic United Kingdom and you might understand why they would be happier to be in an equal and democratic European Union instead of an unfairly weighted and undemocratic United Kingdom."

You think so do you?

And equal and democratic European Union? LOL

What are YOU on today?

Central

The swivel eyed brigade frothing to order - Pavlov and his dogs hold nothing on the the tissue thin depth of thinking that feebly slimes its way around intelligent discourse. Anything at any cost, subject to an arcane unprincipled set of mantras, on the fab bingo card. Full house?

Cannock

"So the Government (this Govt) White Paper on Article 50 that states unequivocally that the United Kingdom is and always has been Sovereign - was it a lie? Has the U.K. Govt issued a blatant lie in a White Paper?

Ask the Scots about losing sovereignty in the undemocratic United Kingdom and you might understand why they would be happier to be in an equal and democratic European Union instead of an unfairly weighted and undemocratic United Kingdom.

You think so do you?

And equal and democratic European Union? LOL

What are YOU on today?"

Remainers are losing the plot left, right and centre, if you saw the Professor who supported remain on last Thursday nights BBC This Week programme with Andrew Neil you'll know what I'm talking about. Andrew Neil said to him,..."Brexit really has discombobulated you hasn't it."

Derby

EU Referendum Act 2015

Triggering of Article 50

EU Withdrawal Bill 2018

What are you on today?

Does the fact that we cannot adopt the policy of slavery anymore meannthat we don’t really have sovereignty?"

So you're drawing similarities between the imposition of slavery and the imposition of VAT. You do know that VAT is an EU policy, that the UK had to adopt as part of the conditions of joining the EU, don't you? And you're saying VAT is akin to slavery?

But apart from anything....answer the question...if the UK is a truly sovereign country.

If the UK government now wanted to scrap VAT could they? What if they wanted to replace VAT with a different form of taxation? Could they? Or would it be blocked by the EU?

Or are you unable to answer the question?

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

EU Referendum Act 2015

Triggering of Article 50

EU Withdrawal Bill 2018

What are you on today?

Does the fact that we cannot adopt the policy of slavery anymore meannthat we don’t really have sovereignty?

So you're drawing similarities between the imposition of slavery and the imposition of VAT. You do know that VAT is an EU policy, that the UK had to adopt as part of the conditions of joining the EU, don't you? And you're saying VAT is akin to slavery?

But apart from anything....answer the question...if the UK is a truly sovereign country.

If the UK government now wanted to scrap VAT could they? What if they wanted to replace VAT with a different form of taxation? Could they? Or would it be blocked by the EU?

Or are you unable to answer the question?"

Yes, the UK is a truly sovereign country. It decided to be a part of the EU and accept the rules and obligations of the EU. And an aspect of that was regarding common taxation parameters on things like VAT. And as to demonstrate that, the UK has decided to leave the EU, and one of the things it will then have is to no longer agree to the terms of things like common VAT schedules if it deems that it wants to make things harder for its own businesses.

-Matt

EU Referendum Act 2015

Triggering of Article 50

EU Withdrawal Bill 2018

What are you on today?

Yes, the UK is a truly sovereign country. It decided to be a part of the EU and accept the rules and obligations of the EU. And an aspect of that was regarding common taxation parameters on things like VAT. And as to demonstrate that, the UK has decided to leave the EU, and one of the things it will then have is to no longer agree to the terms of things like common VAT schedules if it deems that it wants to make things harder for its own businesses.

-Matt"

Does it agree common VAT schedules with its largest market, the rest of the world?

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

EU Referendum Act 2015

Triggering of Article 50

EU Withdrawal Bill 2018

What are you on today?

-Matt

Does it agree common VAT schedules with its largest market, the rest of the world?"

No, it doesn't. And hence why dealing with VAT for those areas is more time consuming and costly.

-Matt

EU Referendum Act 2015

Triggering of Article 50

EU Withdrawal Bill 2018

What are you on today?

-Matt

Does it agree common VAT schedules with its largest market, the rest of the world?

No, it doesn't. And hence why dealing with VAT for those areas is more time consuming and costly.

-Matt"

And yet our trade with the rest of the world is growing at a far faster rate than with the EU. Can’t be that much of a problem

Source ?

Hmrc stats for April

Non Eu exports is Down 14pc compared to previous month. Up 1.5pc from April 2017

Eu exports down 8.3 pc compared to previous month. Up 12pv from April 2017.

Appreciate this is just a snap shot. April may be an unfair month to do MoM and v last year comparisons.

"Source ?

Hmrc stats for April

Non Eu exports is Down 14pc compared to previous month. Up 1.5pc from April 2017

Appreciate this is just a snap shot. April may be an unfair month to do MoM and v last year comparisons. "

Just off the top of my head the EU accounted for 43% of UK exports of goods and services in 2016 compared to 54% in 2006

"Source ?

Hmrc stats for April

Appreciate this is just a snap shot. April may be an unfair month to do MoM and v last year comparisons.

Just off the top of my head the EU accounted for 43% of UK exports of goods and services in 2016 compared to 54% in 2006"

Ta. I may need to number crunch given the differences in market growth. But interesting to see this stat.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

For 326

Against 290

Majority 36

By *urve BallWoman  over a year ago

North London

EU Referendum Act 2015

Triggering of Article 50

EU Withdrawal Bill 2018

What are you on today?

Or are you unable to answer the question?"

This is a genuine question: apart from the "if we wanted to", can you name a few laws that *actually* the UK (or even you petsonally) *want* to change but cannot because of the EU? How do they affect you? Because, let's be honest, while I accept your VAT example, it's extremely unlikely that it will change after we leave. I'm genuinely interested to find out about others' experience or even knowledge about things I wasn't aware of.

West London

"Source ?

Hmrc stats for April

Just off the top of my head the EU accounted for 43% of UK exports of goods and services in 2016 compared to 54% in 2006"

Why does that matter?

Why would we make trade in goods AND services with the EU harder if we already growing trade with the rest of the world?

We are not doing less trade with the EU, just a smaller proportion of a growing cake.

Once again I will ask you how come Germany does so much more trade with the rest of the world from within the EU than us?

West London

"There was also a report from 1971 when we were considering joining that said we would be giving away substantial elements of our sovereignty....this report FC030/1048 was hidden from the public under under Official Secrets Act rules until the early 2000's

The classified paper, dated April 1971, suggested the Government should keep from the public what EEC membership meant, predicting that it would take 30 years for voters to realise what was happening by which time it would be 'too late to leave'.

"This country quite voluntarily surrendered the once seemingly immortal concept of the sovereignty of parliament and legislative freedom by membership of the European Union ... as a once sovereign power, we have said we want to be bound by Community law." - Judge Bruce Morgan, judgement in Sunderland metrication case April 9, 2001"

I haven't read this so cannot comment on if that is true or not. Regardless if true, it implies to me that our, sovereign UK, government chose to lie to its population, not the EU. Consequently what is your point? Will that behaviour stop now?

Yet when the House of Lords wish to make amendments to a bill or the Commons wants to have oversight and assert its authority they,are traitors?

When the judiciary delivers a Supreme Court judgement in favour of Parliamentary primacy they are enemies of the people.

Take a position, but please be consistent.

Cannock

"wrong ... it hasn't"

It has.

Cannock

Today the EU Withdrawal bill officially became law as it got Royal Assent from the Queen and became the 'EU Withdrawal Act'. No stopping us now roll on March 2019.

By *rench letterCouple  over a year ago

Chorley,

Well the unions have joined forces now with the CBI about concerns over Brexit the loss of jobs if there is no cusum union or single market access. These Brexiters just want to ruin the UK.

And think the EU will stick to the Gu s about the UK wanting to very pick and I don't blame the EU as the thick headed Brexiters are just little Englanders.

Chorley,

[Removed by poster at 26/06/18 23:31:51]

Chorley,

Think things are going to messie from now on. As the Brexiters in the cabinet are going to have mud on there faces when they have to back down with the EU demands. which I don't blame EU. Think some will resign and all as I can say is good get rid of all those dickheads in the cabinet.

West London

"Today the EU Withdrawal bill officially became law as it got Royal Assent from the Queen and became the 'EU Withdrawal Act'. No stopping us now roll on March 2019. "

It can be stopped at any time by an act of Parliament. If it should be stopped or not is a different question.

We are allowed to change our minds. Why would tou want to not be able to change a law?

"Today the EU Withdrawal bill officially became law as it got Royal Assent from the Queen and became the 'EU Withdrawal Act'. No stopping us now roll on March 2019. "

It will also break up the uk as scotland wont sit by and let Westminster do a power grab think youl find a indy referendum before march next year and also a united Ireland in the not to distant future

"Well the unions have joined forces now with the CBI about concerns over Brexit the loss of jobs if there is no cusum union or single market access. These Brexiters just want to ruin the UK.

And think the EU will stick to the Gu s about the UK wanting to very pick and I don't blame the EU as

the thick headed Brexiters are just little Englanders. "

Well said

Derby

"Today the EU Withdrawal bill officially became law as it got Royal Assent from the Queen and became the 'EU Withdrawal Act'. No stopping us now roll on March 2019.

It can be stopped at any time by an act of Parliament. If it should be stopped or not is a different question.

We are allowed to change our minds. Why would tou want to not be able to change a law?"

And after March 2019 we'll be able to change any law we want.

West London

"Today the EU Withdrawal bill officially became law as it got Royal Assent from the Queen and became the 'EU Withdrawal Act'. No stopping us now roll on March 2019.

We are allowed to change our minds. Why would tou want to not be able to change a law?

And after March 2019 we'll be able to change any law we want."

No. We are bound by all manner of international treaties. Of course, we could be "strong" like Trump is and unilaterally do what we want. However, that just means that nobody will trust us to honour our commitments.

The point and the question remain; leaving the EU can be stopped and the form of leaving can be almost anything, and I'm still wondering why we wouldn't want to change a law that we create and apply to ourselves?

Derby

No. We are bound by all manner of international treaties. Of course, we could be "strong" like Trump is and unilaterally do what we want. However, that just means that nobody will trust us to honour our commitments.

The point and the question remain; leaving the EU can be stopped and the form of leaving can be almost anything, and I'm still wondering why we wouldn't want to change a law that we create and apply to ourselves?"

You shouldn't confuse international treaties with domestic laws.

We? Or our government? This isn't power to the people.

We? Or our government? This isn't power to the people."

parliament? Don’t forget those pesky traitors can get in the way !

Cambridge

The point and the question remain; leaving the EU can be stopped and the form of leaving can be almost anything, and I'm still wondering why we wouldn't want to change a law that we create and apply to ourselves?

You shouldn't confuse international treaties with domestic laws."

Like all the treaties signed with the EU (and predecessor organisations)?

Derby

You shouldn't confuse international treaties with domestic laws.

Like all the treaties signed with the EU (and predecessor organisations)? "

Er, no.

West London

You shouldn't confuse international treaties with domestication laws."

I am not. International treaties effect our "freedom" to enact national laws.

If that is not the case, please explain why not.

Cambridge

After March 2019, will the UK be able to unilaterally set different tariffs on car parts from Brazil than say car parts from Australia?

» Add a new message to this topic