FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > I'm Henry the 8th i am...

I'm Henry the 8th i am...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Legislation by proclamation, can the government be prevented from using this, by the bill being blocked, or is that just delaying the inevitable?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Legislation by proclamation, can the government be prevented from using this, by the bill being blocked, or is that just delaying the inevitable? "

Can be blocked and i think will be blocked....defeats the whole object of returning power from Brussels or some would say

"Legislation by proclamation, can the government be prevented from using this, by the bill being blocked, or is that just delaying the inevitable?

Can be blocked and i think will be blocked....defeats the whole object of returning power from Brussels or some would say "

Not sure if the bil's more controversial part can be omitted.

Rummaging through old parchment in a dusty csndle lit vault somewhere there may be something to counter it

"Legislation by proclamation, can the government be prevented from using this, by the bill being blocked, or is that just delaying the inevitable?

Can be blocked and i think will be blocked....defeats the whole object of returning power from Brussels or some would say

Rummaging through old parchment in a dusty csndle lit vault somewhere there may be something to counter it

"

Its workers rights and all the other stuff to do with the unemployed/employed that worries me....and dropping the standards that have been built up.

Tbh it was the EU that really forced the government to introduce the minimum wage all those years back

Its workers rights and all the other stuff to do with the unemployed/employed that worries me....and dropping the standards that have been built up.

Tbh it was the EU that really forced the government to introduce the minimum wage all those years back "

I did mull this over too, primarily the work time directive.

Tbh it was the EU that really forced the government to introduce the minimum wage all those years back

I did mull this over too, primarily the work time directive. "

And if im honest im not sure this is what people voted for in the brexit referendum....theres already been a 7% swing towards remaining from brexiters because of all this

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

The most authoritarian home secretary in history who stripped powers from the police and judiciary transferring them to the home secretary (herself) and formed the NCA (national crime agency) which is fully controlled (both in policy and day to day running) by the home secretary to replace the SFO is now PM and is attempting to grant herself and her ministers the same sort of powers over everything. Now who could have seen that coming?

I have been drawing comparisons between May and her policies and Hitler for a long time now. I wonder at what point will our cheerleaders for the ultra right admit that they have been supporting a conservative party that has moved so far to the right that it is now out with the fascists and nazis, or have they all pulled their black rubber Hugo Boss trench coats from the back of their respective wardrobes and started practising their straight arm salutes in front of the mirror?

"The most authoritarian home secretary in history who stripped powers from the police and judiciary transferring them to the home secretary (herself) and formed the NCA (national crime agency) which is fully controlled (both in policy and day to day running) by the home secretary to replace the SFO is now PM and is attempting to grant herself and her ministers the same sort of powers over everything. Now who could have seen that coming?

I have been drawing comparisons between May and her policies and Hitler for a long time now. I wonder at what point will our cheerleaders for the ultra right admit that they have been supporting a conservative party that has moved so far to the right that it is now out with the fascists and nazis, or have they all pulled their black rubber Hugo Boss trench coats from the back of their respective wardrobes and started practising their straight arm salutes in front of the mirror?"

And fedora style hats..

"The most authoritarian home secretary in history who stripped powers from the police and judiciary transferring them to the home secretary (herself) and formed the NCA (national crime agency) which is fully controlled (both in policy and day to day running) by the home secretary to replace the SFO is now PM and is attempting to grant herself and her ministers the same sort of powers over everything. Now who could have seen that coming?

I have been drawing comparisons between May and her policies and Hitler for a long time now. I wonder at what point will our cheerleaders for the ultra right admit that they have been supporting a conservative party that has moved so far to the right that it is now out with the fascists and nazis, or have they all pulled their black rubber Hugo Boss trench coats from the back of their respective wardrobes and started practising their straight arm salutes in front of the mirror?"

Alzo practicing ze limp

moston

"Alzo practicing ze limp "

Ah, ze britis umer... ha ha...

It would be funny if it were a satirical comedy show but it is a bill in front of parliament...

But I guess we have nothing to fear as she only wants the powers for 2 years, not like the German 1933 Enabling Act which gave Hitler and the Nazi government the power to rule by decree for 4 years. So nothing like the same.

"Alzo practicing ze limp

It would be funny if it were a satirical comedy show but it is a bill in front of parliament...

But I guess we have nothing to fear as she only wants the powers for 2 years, not like the German 1933 Enabling Act which gave Hitler and the Nazi government the power to rule by decree for 4 years. So nothing like the same."

It dounds ludicrous. A parchment from tbe 1500s giving the toties of all people that amount of power! Straight from an Ealing comedy.. Ffs!

"Alzo practicing ze limp

But I guess we have nothing to fear as she only wants the powers for 2 years, not like the German 1933 Enabling Act which gave Hitler and the Nazi government the power to rule by decree for 4 years. So nothing like the same.

It dounds ludicrous. A parchment from tbe 1500s giving the toties of all people that amount of power! Straight from an Ealing comedy.. Ffs! "

*tories

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

I think a lot are missing the point here. Giving ministers these powers is not a bad idea because they are Tory ministers. It's a bad idea and counter democratic move because the powers are going to ministers and not parliament, the fact they are Tory ministers is irrelevant; it would be no more a good idea if they were Labour or LibDem ministers. Parliament is were sovereignty and democratic accountability should lie not the executive (government).

moston

"I think a lot are missing the point here. Giving ministers these powers is not a bad idea because they are Tory ministers. It's a bad idea and counter democratic move because the powers are going to ministers and not parliament, the fact they are Tory ministers is irrelevant; it would be no more a good idea if they were Labour or LibDem ministers. Parliament is were sovereignty and democratic accountability should lie not the executive (government)."

I agree with your general point that it would not be a good idea to give these powers to any government. However it is also important to look at the record of those asking or rather demanding these powers and that record must make the granting of these powers even more concerning to anyone with a scintilla of foresight.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"I think a lot are missing the point here. Giving ministers these powers is not a bad idea because they are Tory ministers. It's a bad idea and counter democratic move because the powers are going to ministers and not parliament, the fact they are Tory ministers is irrelevant; it would be no more a good idea if they were Labour or LibDem ministers. Parliament is were sovereignty and democratic accountability should lie not the executive (government)."

Exactly... I don't care who gets to use the potential powers first, it's the point of principle... and I hope that is what ends up being debated

"I think a lot are missing the point here. Giving ministers these powers is not a bad idea because they are Tory ministers. It's a bad idea and counter democratic move because the powers are going to ministers and not parliament, the fact they are Tory ministers is irrelevant; it would be no more a good idea if they were Labour or LibDem ministers. Parliament is were sovereignty and democratic accountability should lie not the executive (government).

Exactly... I don't care who gets to use the potential powers first, it's the point of principle... and I hope that is what ends up being debated "

Yep i agree, i just hope that they agree too and there aren't any other similar documents from centuries ago that are still law

moston

" there aren't any other similar documents from centuries ago that are still law"

Actually that is not so...

The Common Law dates back to the 1066, Equity to the 1300's and The Court of Chancery, and the much of legal precedent (judge made law) is just as old.

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

"I think a lot are missing the point here. Giving ministers these powers is not a bad idea because they are Tory ministers. It's a bad idea and counter democratic move because the powers are going to ministers and not parliament, the fact they are Tory ministers is irrelevant; it would be no more a good idea if they were Labour or LibDem ministers. Parliament is were sovereignty and democratic accountability should lie not the executive (government).

I agree with your general point that it would not be a good idea to give these powers to any government. However it is also important to look at the record of those asking or rather demanding these powers and that record must make the granting of these powers even more concerning to anyone with a scintilla of foresight."

The problem is is that once these powers have been ceded to the executive, whether temporarily or not, the precedent to cede these sorts of powers to the executive has been set it will happen again. It's also dangerous to assume that that, while being called temporary now, they will actually be returned to parliament and not extended. Whether you actually agree ot not with what the executive do with the powers is irrelevant so therefore whether those taking those powers from parliament are Labour, LibDem or Conservative is also irrelevant.

» Add a new message to this topic