FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > May refuses to spend any money on sprinklers for tower blocks despite promises

May refuses to spend any money on sprinklers for tower blocks despite promises

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *xplicitlyrics OP   Man  over a year ago

south dublin

Theresa May has confirmed that the government will spend no money installing sprinklers in the towers despite promising to do exactly that after the Grenfell Tower disaster.

After spending £140m on the snap election and handing over £1bn to the DUP to secure their support for her as prime minister she has refused to spend £300,000 to upgrade a tower to prevent more deaths like Grenfell. This decision was made despite the report in 2009 after Lakanal House fire saying it needed to be done and London Fire Brigade repeatedly saying it is "something that must happen." since Grenfell.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Theresa May has confirmed that the government will spend no money installing sprinklers in the towers despite promising to do exactly that after the Grenfell Tower disaster.

After spending £140m on the snap election and handing over £1bn to the DUP to secure their support for her as prime minister she has refused to spend £300,000 to upgrade a tower to prevent more deaths like Grenfell. This decision was made despite the report in 2009 after Lakanal House fire saying it needed to be done and London Fire Brigade repeatedly saying it is "something that must happen." since Grenfell. "

Knowing what the tory traits and attitudes I'm not suprised unfortunately.

Its ok to buy power, look after their rich mates in a tory chum-ocracy but th hoy poloy riff raff?.. No.!

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

I live in flats and we recently had the chief fire officer round he said sprinklers are a waste of money,and not worth the money.

It is not a tower block and not council but this is what happened.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"I live in flats and we recently had the chief fire officer round he said sprinklers are a waste of money,and not worth the money.

"

Convenient that...

Sprinklers are a waste of money, wonder who paid him to say that...

Also...

If that is so why are they a legal requirement in all hotels and commercial buildings?

upton wirral

"I live in flats and we recently had the chief fire officer round he said sprinklers are a waste of money,and not worth the money.

Convenient that...

Also...

If that is so why are they a legal requirement in all hotels and commercial buildings?"

You are being silly he is an experienced fire officer,he made lots of recomendations and some will cost us residents money,we are private flats so it would cost the council nothing if we had to have them we would have to pay.It is not in his interest to give us bad advice we have to pay him for advise we have to pay the fire brigade for his time.Your so cynical you have a problem reading and listening to facts because you believe nothing

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

Convenient that...

Also...

If that is so why are they a legal requirement in all hotels and commercial buildings?You are being silly he is an experienced fire officer,he made lots of recomendations and some will cost us residents money,we are private flats so it would cost the council nothing if we had to have them we would have to pay.It is not in his interest to give us bad advice we have to pay him for advise we have to pay the fire brigade for his time.Your so cynical you have a problem reading and listening to facts because you believe nothing"

See here's the thing x

You seem happy to take his expert advice good

Thus

London Fire Brigade repeatedly saying it is "something that must happen." since Grenfell. "

That is also professional advice

It is perfectly reasonable that in a building such as yours a professional fire officer has assessed that sprinklers would be no good

And

A professional fire officer has assessed that blocks such a Granville would benefit

Thus you must by good reason also trust their recommendation in that particular style of accommodation xxx

By *bi_scotlandTV/TS  over a year ago

Glasgow

I was at a meeting recently with the fire brigade about a couple of tower blocks in my local area and the fire brigade didn't advise getting sprinklers retro-fitted. They pointed out that some things are different in the flats from Greenfell, different cladding and unlike Greenfell they have electric heating and no gas supply.

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

I'm no expert but I've heard that retro fitting sprinklers in older buildings is very expensive, not very effective and can actually be counterproductive in that the fitting of the sprinklers can actually compromise the fire integrity built into the buildings.

upton wirral

Convenient that...

Also...

If that is so why are they a legal requirement in all hotels and commercial buildings?You are being silly he is an experienced fire officer,he made lots of recomendations and some will cost us residents money,we are private flats so it would cost the council nothing if we had to have them we would have to pay.It is not in his interest to give us bad advice we have to pay him for advise we have to pay the fire brigade for his time.Your so cynical you have a problem reading and listening to facts because you believe nothing

See here's the thing x

You seem happy to take his expert advice good

Thus

London Fire Brigade repeatedly saying it is "something that must happen." since Grenfell. "

That is also professional advice

It is perfectly reasonable that in a building such as yours a professional fire officer has assessed that sprinklers would be no good

And

A professional fire officer has assessed that blocks such a Granville would benefit

Thus you must by good reason also trust their recommendation in that particular style of accommodation xxx "

I agree with you,but if you go bck to my first statement the point I was replying to get my response as there was generalisation about flats,all buildings are different

south dublin

So we can agree that some buildings should have sprinklers and some shouldnt depending on the details of the particular building.

And we can also agree that many tower blocks have been assessed by the fire brigade of needing sprinklers.

The question as I see it is why isnt it being done? Why is there money to keep May in a job but no money when peoples lives are at stake?

By *bi_scotlandTV/TS  over a year ago

Glasgow

"So we can agree that some buildings should have sprinklers and some shouldnt depending on the details of the particular building.

And we can also agree that many tower blocks have been assessed by the fire brigade of needing sprinklers.

The question as I see it is why isnt it being done? Why is there money to keep May in a job but no money when peoples lives are at stake?"

Do they all have sprinklers in Ireland?

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

"So we can agree that some buildings should have sprinklers and some shouldnt depending on the details of the particular building.

The question as I see it is why isnt it being done? Why is there money to keep May in a job but no money when peoples lives are at stake?"

I think you're prematurely drawing the wrong conclusion. We don't know yet why Grenfell went up the way it did but the evidence seems to suggest that the problem, and what caused the whole building to burn in hours when it should have taken days, was on the outside, not the inside. Retro fitting sprinkles in a similar building now may not actually solve the problem and could possibly make other fires spread more quickly. Far better to find the real failure in the fire prevention system and spend any money fixing that.

Like with many things, there is not normally a quick and simple solu

south dublin

The question as I see it is why isnt it being done? Why is there money to keep May in a job but no money when peoples lives are at stake?

Do they all have sprinklers in Ireland?"

We dont have tower blocks over here. Grenfell would have been far taller than any of our apartment buildings and even those ones arent social housing, theyre high priced (€3k a month) and modern apartments so Id be sure that they are well equipped with fire prevention.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Can the Op confirm that the SNP have provided the funds available to retrofit in Scotland?

Poor people die every day. The Tories see them as expendable.

That's the way of the world & political parties. The rehtoric "making the UK work for everyone " is just spin. Politicians are the biggest liars on the planet - even worse than estate agents.

Suddenly everyone is an expert on fire regulations

south dublin

"Can the Op confirm that the SNP have provided the funds available to retrofit in Scotland?"

Has it been established that there are buildings in need of retro fitting?

Have fire chiefs in Scotland come out and said that this is something that needs to happen?

Did the SNP promise to retrofit when it suited the newscycle and then renege on that promise when it wasnt politically beneficial to care about the peoples lives that were at risk?

Can you confirm why you cant discuss the issue with May without trying to deflect to others? Either she's right to ignore the fire chiefs assessment and go back on her promise to provide safe accomodation or she's not. Doesnt matter what they do in Scotland, Austria or Timbuctoo, she's either right or wrong.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

CFO's or their deputies or even their deputies don't tend to go round anywhere so would be interested to have more clarity on that claim..

given that the policy for years of the Chief Fire Officers/Firemasters Association has been that sprinklers save lives both domestically and reduce costs commercially and lessen the risks for crews entering property etc i am also a tad surprised that anyone would post Grenfell even if it where their private view share it with members of the public..

in Lancashire

I think you're prematurely drawing the wrong conclusion. We don't know yet why Grenfell went up the way it did but the evidence seems to suggest that the problem, and what caused the whole building to burn in hours when it should have taken days, was on the outside, not the inside. Retro fitting sprinkles in a similar building now may not actually solve the problem and could possibly make other fires spread more quickly. Far better to find the real failure in the fire prevention system and spend any money fixing that.

Like with many things, there is not normally a quick and simple solu"

Greed it was a unique incident in the fire spread but sprinklers in the room initially alight would have prevented the fire spread to the outside..

By *andACouple  over a year ago

glasgow

"Can the Op confirm that the SNP have provided the funds available to retrofit in Scotland?

Have fire chiefs in Scotland come out and said that this is something that needs to happen?

Did the SNP promise to retrofit when it suited the newscycle and then renege on that promise when it wasnt politically beneficial to care about the peoples lives that were at risk?

Can you confirm why you cant discuss the issue with May without trying to deflect to others? Either she's right to ignore the fire chiefs assessment and go back on her promise to provide safe accomodation or she's not. Doesnt matter what they do in Scotland, Austria or Timbuctoo, she's either right or wrong."

So should the SNP government fit sprinklers in every tower block in Scotland?

south dublin

"Can the Op confirm that the SNP have provided the funds available to retrofit in Scotland?

Can you confirm why you cant discuss the issue with May without trying to deflect to others? Either she's right to ignore the fire chiefs assessment and go back on her promise to provide safe accomodation or she's not. Doesnt matter what they do in Scotland, Austria or Timbuctoo, she's either right or wrong.

So should the SNP government fit sprinklers in every tower block in Scotland?"

What a lazy response that was

I asked clarifying questions all of which you ignored. But I looked into it myself and the Scottish government currently has a ministerial working group working on a plan to improve fire suppression measures in council flats. The working group is also dealing with the combustible cladding that was a major cause of the Grenfell disaster.

So since Ive answered your question maybe you can answer mine regarding why you cant discuss Mays abhorrent behaviour in this issue on its merits?

By *issT45Woman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Sprinklers would have saved lives in grenfell ... the fact the Tories are back peddling to save money over lives is just typical ... shame on everyone who gave them a vote

By *urboTongue21Man  over a year ago

Walsall

And now we find sprinklers are required in schools in Scotland and Wales but not Tory dominated England?

Scandal or not necessary?

in Lancashire

"And now we find sprinklers are required in schools in Scotland and Wales but not Tory dominated England?

Scandal or not necessary? "

Stupidity not to have them, a zoned system is a no brainer financially for schools, cheaper to rebuild one part rather than half or the whole school..

» Add a new message to this topic