FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > European Court Of Justice Makes Major Decision Against UK

European Court Of Justice Makes Major Decision Against UK

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ercury OP   Man  over a year ago

Grantham

In a landmark case, the ECJ has ruled that the card game Bridge, is not a sport!

This rules out any potential tax savings for the English Bridge Union!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"In a landmark case, the ECJ has ruled that the card game Bridge, is not a sport!

This rules out any potential tax savings for the English Bridge Union! "

So the EU has pissed off yet another group of people, no surprise there. Good news for the English Bridge union is that we are leaving the EU. Once we are out the case can be ruled on by the British Supreme court (which will be the highest court in the land after Brexit and rulings made by British judges). Our government will also be free to give the English Bridge union what ever tax breaks it sees fit.

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

"In a landmark case, the ECJ has ruled that the card game Bridge, is not a sport!

So the EU has pissed off yet another group of people, no surprise there. Good news for the English Bridge union is that we are leaving the EU. Once we are out the case can be ruled on by the British Supreme court (which will be the highest court in the land after Brexit and rulings made by British judges). Our government will also be free to give the English Bridge union what ever tax breaks it sees fit. "

Actually Centaur, the ECJ have supported a British ruling that also said that Bridge isn't a sport!

By *oyce69Man  over a year ago

Driffield

I wonder how much that little debacle cost, and what idiots thought that bridge was a sport.

Cambridge

"I wonder how much that little debacle cost, and what idiots thought that bridge was a sport. "

The English Bridge Union argued that it was a sport. Sports England said it wasn't, the High Court in England says it wasn't, the European Court of Justice says it isn't a sport, but Centaur hates the ECJ so much that he thinks it should be a sport just to spite them Centaur doesn't like Sports England ruling on it, he doesn't like the English High Court ruling on it either!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

So the EU has pissed off yet another group of people, no surprise there. Good news for the English Bridge union is that we are leaving the EU. Once we are out the case can be ruled on by the British Supreme court (which will be the highest court in the land after Brexit and rulings made by British judges). Our government will also be free to give the English Bridge union what ever tax breaks it sees fit.

Actually Centaur, the ECJ have supported a British ruling that also said that Bridge isn't a sport! "

DOH!!!

Cannock

Actually Centaur, the ECJ have supported a British ruling that also said that Bridge isn't a sport! "

The British Supreme court have never ruled on this case.

Cannock

"I wonder how much that little debacle cost, and what idiots thought that bridge was a sport.

The English Bridge Union argued that it was a sport. Sports England said it wasn't, the High Court in England says it wasn't, the European Court of Justice says it isn't a sport, but Centaur hates the ECJ so much that he thinks it should be a sport just to spite them Centaur doesn't like Sports England ruling on it, he doesn't like the English High Court ruling on it either! "

So you admit here the British Supreme court have never ruled on this case. As you say it's only been ruled on at the high Court. After Brexit they can take this case to the British Supreme court and see what they decide as I stated in my original post on this thread.

Cambridge

"I wonder how much that little debacle cost, and what idiots thought that bridge was a sport.

The English Bridge Union argued that it was a sport. Sports England said it wasn't, the High Court in England says it wasn't, the European Court of Justice says it isn't a sport, but Centaur hates the ECJ so much that he thinks it should be a sport just to spite them Centaur doesn't like Sports England ruling on it, he doesn't like the English High Court ruling on it either!

So you admit here the British Supreme court have never ruled on this case. As you say it's only been ruled on at the high Court. After Brexit they can take this case to the British Supreme court and see what they decide as I stated in my original post on this thread. "

It's not a constitutional issue

Cannock

So you admit here the British Supreme court have never ruled on this case. As you say it's only been ruled on at the high Court. After Brexit they can take this case to the British Supreme court and see what they decide as I stated in my original post on this thread.

It's not a constitutional issue"

If they don't accept the high Court ruling they have right to appeal. Currently they can appeal to the ECJ while we remain a member of the EU but after Brexit when the ECJ option is taken away many cases maybe going to appeal at the Supreme court after ruling at the high Court even those cases that are not constitutional.

Grantham

Whoa! This was a light-hearted posting, or was supposed to be.

I'm sure the Bridge teams of Frimley or Eastbourne aren't losing much sleep over this.

what have the scotish bridge union, the northern ireland bridge union and the welsh bridge union got to say about sport englands stance against bridge being a sport .... will they take sport england to court too? or will they take it up with uksport instead? why did the EBU take it up with sport england and not uksport? will the ecj's ruling, which allows for individual states to make the card game exempt from vat, see the tory government make bridge vat exempt in england? will they make it vat exempt in scotland? will they make it vat exempt in northern ireland? will they make it vat exempt in wales? does anyone here give a flying fuck? so many unanswered questions!

Cambridge

If they don't accept the high Court ruling they have right to appeal. Currently they can appeal to the ECJ while we remain a member of the EU but after Brexit when the ECJ option is taken away many cases maybe going to appeal at the Supreme court after ruling at the high Court even those cases that are not constitutional. "

Says who?

If I get a speeding ticket, you think I will be allowed to take it to the supreme court?

Cambridge

"Whoa! This was a light-hearted posting, or was supposed to be.

I'm sure the Bridge teams of Frimley or Eastbourne aren't losing much sleep over this."

To some people the very mention of the ECJ can turn them into a rabid frenzy.

Grantham

I'm sure the Bridge teams of Frimley or Eastbourne aren't losing much sleep over this.

To some people the very mention of the ECJ can turn them into a rabid frenzy. "

I do wonder how much the original case and subsequent appeal cost?

Could have asked a few people in the pub..."is Bridge a sport or a game?" and got the same answer in a few seconds!

Cambridge

From the Supreme Court website.

"The Supreme Court is the final court of appeal in the UK for civil cases, and for criminal cases from England, Wales and Northern Ireland. It hears cases of the greatest public or constitutional importance affecting the whole population"

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

This rules out any potential tax savings for the English Bridge Union! "

What a load of sad bastards have they got nothing better to do than make rules on card games and people want to be in this club!!!It is so pathetic when there are so many major problems in this world it is so depressing.

Cannock

To some people the very mention of the ECJ can turn them into a rabid frenzy.

I do wonder how much the original case and subsequent appeal cost?

Could have asked a few people in the pub..."is Bridge a sport or a game?" and got the same answer in a few seconds! "

I'm sure the same thing was said about Darts for many, many years but now there is increasing pressure to have Darts as a sport at the Olympics. There has been increasing pressure from high profile Darts players to have Darts recognised as an Olympic sport and the international Olympic committee has said that it maybe now considered to be included in the Olympics beyond the year 2024. I'm sure all those people who have campaigned and spent money raising awareness for this wouldn't consider it a waste of time or money if they do get it recognised as an Olympic sport beyond 2024 it will all have been worthwhile to them.

" What a load of sad bastards have they got nothing better to do than make rules on card games and people want to be in this club!!!It is so pathetic when there are so many major problems in this world it is so depressing."

agreed .... why did these bridge playing idiots waste valuable court time with this ludicrously insignificant rubbish just to worm out of paying a few quid in vat? .... outrageous!!! outrageous i tell you!!!!

"I wonder how much that little debacle cost, and what idiots thought that bridge was a sport. "

Same ones who are trying to get pole dancing into the olympics?

Or what about snooker? Darts? Aren't they just pub games?

Cambridge

Or what about snooker? Darts? Aren't they just pub games?"

Surely swinging is more physical than bridge. I want to see swinging in the olympics

By *onny MCMan  over a year ago

Crawley

Or what about snooker? Darts? Aren't they just pub games?

Surely swinging is more physical than bridge. I want to see swinging in the olympics "

Do you think Team GB would be medal contenders in that one?

anorak lol

By *lik and PaulCouple  over a year ago

Flagrante

I'm sure the Bridge teams of Frimley or Eastbourne aren't losing much sleep over this."

No such thing as a light hearted posting over here

Grantham

I believe that each host nation of the Olympic games can include a new sport in the programme.

Japan has decided on "surfing" for the 2020 games, although I take this to be riding a wave on an ironing board, rather than surfing the net....although you can never be too sure!

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"anorak lol "

thank you....... sports funding is one of those issues that is near and dear to me.... sport england are fine but uk sport can be ruthless!

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"I'm sure the same thing was said about Darts for many, many years but now there is increasing pressure to have Darts as a sport at the Olympics. There has been increasing pressure from high profile Darts players to have Darts recognised as an Olympic sport and the international Olympic committee has said that it maybe now considered to be included in the Olympics beyond the year 2024. I'm sure all those people who have campaigned and spent money raising awareness for this wouldn't consider it a waste of time or money if they do get it recognised as an Olympic sport beyond 2024 it will all have been worthwhile to them. "

To be fair although darts is a very 'low activity' sort of pastime, it does require hand eye coordination and an ability to consistently hit small targets from a distance. Whereas competition bridge is totally sedentary with the only physical exertion being picking up a pre-dealt hand and laying down cards in turn.

Just saying

By *zamiWoman  over a year ago

LONDON

Bridge is not a sport!

"Bridge is not a sport! "

.... and that's a legal fact which both the british and european judicary are in absolute agreement on

Cambridge

"Bridge is not a sport!

.... and that's a legal fact which both the british and european judicary are in absolute agreement on "

But some people think that we should automatically declare the opposite decision of whatever the Europeans have ruled.

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

If they don't accept the high Court ruling they have right to appeal. Currently they can appeal to the ECJ while we remain a member of the EU but after Brexit when the ECJ option is taken away many cases maybe going to appeal at the Supreme court after ruling at the high Court even those cases that are not constitutional. "

Wait, I’m confused now, isn’t the Supreme Court the one full of traitors and enemies of the people? Or have you forgiven them for doing their job now?

-Matt

Cambridge

If they don't accept the high Court ruling they have right to appeal. Currently they can appeal to the ECJ while we remain a member of the EU but after Brexit when the ECJ option is taken away many cases maybe going to appeal at the Supreme court after ruling at the high Court even those cases that are not constitutional.

Wait, I’m confused now, isn’t the Supreme Court the one full of traitors and enemies of the people? Or have you forgiven them for doing their job now?

-Matt"

"Bridge is not a sport!

.... and that's a legal fact which both the british and european judicary are in absolute agreement on

But some people think that we should automatically declare the opposite decision of whatever the Europeans have ruled. "

Even if they TOTALLY AGREE with a ruling by our courts? Or are you saying our courts should then change their mind just to go against the ECJ?

By *xplicitlyricsMan  over a year ago

south dublin

So you admit here the British Supreme court have never ruled on this case. As you say it's only been ruled on at the high Court. After Brexit they can take this case to the British Supreme court and see what they decide as I stated in my original post on this thread. "

Centaur theres no way the Supreme Court is going to hear this, thats why the case went to the ECJ instead in the first place. Your posts here are just getting embarrassing these days!

Cambridge

"Bridge is not a sport!

But some people think that we should automatically declare the opposite decision of whatever the Europeans have ruled.

Even if they TOTALLY AGREE with a ruling by our courts? Or are you saying our courts should then change their mind just to go against the ECJ?"

Yes, look at Centaur's post, he thinks this should be looked at again, by a different court, even though the ECJ has upheld the ruling by the British High Court. No, I dont think our courts should change their mind, nothing has materially changed in the case.

» Add a new message to this topic