FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Is a politician allowed to have a past?

Is a politician allowed to have a past?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I was watching question time and it was interesting. I reckon they should as the past dont define them as everyone can change over time, what is your view?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

I think that Labour MP who took Clegg's seat has been screwed over. Now it may be that he has said worse things than I have seen that were so indecent it couldn't be reported, however saying he would shag girls aloud or some other pop star should shove a piano up his arse is what you could hear in any pub in the country. I would say however it very much depends on context, obviously there are certain times where you can say such things, and other times you can't. I think that social media is having a huge impact, now and will have a greater impact in the future. The PM of 20 or 30 years time will probably have been on social media since they were a teenager or even younger. Would you like to read a tweet or a Facebook message from when you were 12 years old? Do you think someone would be able to find something not very ministerial? Of course they could.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The guy said what he said when he was 23/24 and was already standing as a labour candidate in a local election. It is also said that he used similar, abusive language during the last election campaign THIS YEAR.

If this is the case, as it appears to be, then he clearly has not changed his mysoginistic, homophobic and inappropriate views.

Cambridge

"The guy said what he said when he was 23/24 and was already standing as a labour candidate in a local election. It is also said that he used similar, abusive language during the last election campaign THIS YEAR.

If this is the case, as it appears to be, then he clearly has not changed his mysoginistic, homophobic and inappropriate views."

Have you honestly never said anything along the lines of "I would love to shag X" or "celebrity Y can go fuck themselves"?

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

I think the problem will be if he lied during the selection process.

Being a dick is one thing, lying about it is another matter.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

To be honest it depends on what side of the political divide you are on. If you are on the left, no, you must be cleaner than clean and still expect to be labelled a traitor and danger to the country. The father to the right the less your past matters. In fact you can if you are a Tory you can be caught taking bribes to ask questions in parliament and move over to UKIP and get to continue to ride the gravy train in the Welsh assembly.

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

He has a point about a certain jazz musician, to be fair.

Out of interest how many MP's have been imprisoned and even more interesting which parties? Personally if you are not squeaky clean then you should not be an MP. I also believe as an MP that should have no other "activities" which they get some form of remuneration. Just do the job your being paid for.

Grantham

"Out of interest how many MP's have been imprisoned and even more interesting which parties? Personally if you are not squeaky clean then you should not be an MP. I also believe as an MP that should have no other "activities" which they get some form of remuneration. Just do the job your being paid for."

In the fiddling expenses scandal, 4 MPs got a jail sentence and 1 got a supervision order. All were Labour, but I think this thread is more about what you said or did before you became an MP.

By *zamiWoman  over a year ago

LONDON

"I was watching question time and it was interesting. I reckon they should as the past dont define them as everyone can change over time, what is your view? "

Im irritated by the double standards. Boris described black people as having "watermelon smiles" he reckons gay marriage as being the same as marrying your dog BUT he is our foreign minister

By *zamiWoman  over a year ago

LONDON

"To be honest it depends on what side of the political divide you are on. If you are on the left, no, you must be cleaner than clean and still expect to be labelled a traitor and danger to the country. The father to the right the less your past matters. In fact you can if you are a Tory you can be caught taking bribes to ask questions in parliament and move over to UKIP and get to continue to ride the gravy train in the Welsh assembly."

Grantham

"Out of interest how many MP's have been imprisoned and even more interesting which parties? Personally if you are not squeaky clean then you should not be an MP. I also believe as an MP that should have no other "activities" which they get some form of remuneration. Just do the job your being paid for."

Chris Huhne, who was jailed for lying about his speeding offence, was a Lib-Dem.

moston

Anyone remember Alan Clark (Thatchers Minister for Defence Procurement) admitted under oath that he had been "economical with the actualité" in answering questions about the policy on arms exports to Iraq. Just to remind people that was when Thatchers government tried to jail the directors of Matrix Churchill, Walter Somers Ltd and Sheffield Forgemasters Ltd for supplying a supergun to Iraq in 1989 when they were acting on orders from the MoD, the SoSD at the time was one John Major! No one got jailed for that! Or how about Jonathan Aitken who was jailed for perverting the course of justice when he got his daughter to lie on oath in order to sue the guardian. Anyone remember his Sword of truth statement at the time? (I had to look it up to get it right):

"If it falls to me to start a fight to cut out the cancer of bent and twisted journalism in our country with the simple sword of truth and the trusty shield of British fair play, so be it. I am ready for the fight. The fight against falsehood and those who peddle it. My fight begins today. Thank you and good afternoon."

Anyone remember Jeffrey Archer? Another Tory minister who went to prison for perverting the course of justice.

Anyone notice a theme here?

Grantham

Other serving MPs jailed in years gone by have been John Stonehouse, who famously faked his death in 1974, and Terry Fields, who was jailed for refusing to pay his Council Tax in 1991.

moston

It is not right to equate Terry Fields with any of the others. He was jailed for an act of civil disobedience by a judge who was selected by the government of the day to make examples of any who refused to do as they were told to do. The government that at the same time were prosecuting the directors of of Matrix Churchill, Walter Somers Ltd and Sheffield Forgemasters Ltd for doing what they were told to do!

Again do you notice a pattern?

Cambridge

What do people think about married Stephen Crabb MP, rejecting a woman for a job at his office, then sending her sexually explicit messagss?

Grantham

"What do people think about married Stephen Crabb MP, rejecting a woman for a job at his office, then sending her sexually explicit messagss? "

Both Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn have both spoken on the rise of alleged sexual predators in the Houses of Parliament.

A clean up is coming. A few MPs and staff may well be sweating a little now.

By *.gerri.xTV/TS  over a year ago

North west

"

Both Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn have both spoken on the rise of alleged sexual predators in the Houses of Parliament.

"

Mark Garnier looks like he's got a bit of a sweat on.

moston

"Both Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn have both spoken on the rise of alleged sexual predators in the Houses of Parliament.

"

The problem I see with all of this is one of checks and balances and what is and is not considered acceptable. To make my point I heard a woman in TV last week when commenting on Ellen looking at Katy Perry's tits and saying “It’s time to bring out the big balloons!” that men continually look at her arse even as she walks down the street and that was wrong. This was said while defending Ellen!

At what point should flirting and showing interest be classed as harassment? Or should all fraternisation with colleagues (or potential) either in the workplace or outside be banned? How about flirting with shop staff? Or mooching on in on a girl in a bar or nightclub?

Maybe we should have designated areas in all public spaces for people looking for romantic or sexual encounters (a bit like smokers areas) and signs up everywhere else saying no talking or looking at the other sex (again like the 'no smoking' signs that now plaster nearly every building and many open spaces.

By *.gerri.xTV/TS  over a year ago

North west

"

Maybe we should have designated areas in all public spaces for people looking for romantic or sexual encounters (a bit like smokers areas)."

This could make life quite interesting

Grantham

Women must be encouraged to speak up, in the knowledge that they will be safe from further action.

I find the idea that female staff in the Houses of parliament, have a secret "WhatsApp" group, slightly disturbing.

moston

"Women must be encouraged to speak up, in the knowledge that they will be safe from further action.

I find the idea that female staff in the Houses of parliament, have a secret "WhatsApp" group, slightly disturbing.

"

To be honest I have never found women need encouragement to speak up.

As for the secret 'WhatsApp' group, I find that to be quite amusing. Women have shared information about men forever! Why do you think that they all suddenly want to pee the same time? And why does it always take so long? And how come when only one can use a cubicle at a time do they all return together?

I am not saying that sexual harassment does not happen, nor am I saying it is not widespread (I do not know). But I am saying everyone needs to look harder and not go off at half cock on this issue.

"The guy said what he said when he was 23/24 and was already standing as a labour candidate in a local election. It is also said that he used similar, abusive language during the last election campaign THIS YEAR.

If this is the case, as it appears to be, then he clearly has not changed his mysoginistic, homophobic and inappropriate views.

Have you honestly never said anything along the lines of "I would love to shag X" or "celebrity Y can go fuck themselves"?"

It’s more the calling a barmaid “a fat ugly bitch” because she turned his crude sexual advances down...this year.

Actually...seems to happen a lot on fab from reading forum comments. Same penalties should apply?

Grantham

"Women must be encouraged to speak up, in the knowledge that they will be safe from further action.

To be honest I have never found women need encouragement to speak up.

As for the secret 'WhatsApp' group, I find that to be quite amusing. Women have shared information about men forever! Why do you think that they all suddenly want to pee the same time? And why does it always take so long? And how come when only one can use a cubicle at a time do they all return together?

I am not saying that sexual harassment does not happen, nor am I saying it is not widespread (I do not know). But I am saying everyone needs to look harder and not go off at half cock on this issue. "

If the first woman assaulted by Harvey Weinstein had spoken up and gone to the police, then he would have now been serving a long jail sentence and we wouldn't have a long line of women coming forward, and reporting similar abuse.

moston

"If the first woman assaulted by Harvey Weinstein had spoken up and gone to the police, then he would have now been serving a long jail sentence and we wouldn't have a long line of women coming forward, and reporting similar abuse."

Havey Weinstein is a pig of a man, so is Donald Trump. But we have a situation where women who put up with weinstein to advance their careers are victims and he is vilified but where women who were clearly assaulted by Trump because they were in his presence are vilified in court by lawyers and donny gets elected as president of the USA. The double standards are so obvious!

Grantham

The problem with abuse and abusers, is that it starts somewhere. Maybe small steps at first, remarks like "fat ugly bitch" but once they get away with that, then they push and push, getting further and further down the line.

Society has got recognise this, encourage victims to stand up publicly and give no quarter to the genuine abuser.

moston

"The problem with abuse and abusers, is that it starts somewhere. Maybe small steps at first, remarks like "fat ugly bitch" but once they get away with that, then they push and push, getting further and further down the line.

Society has got recognise this, encourage victims to stand up publicly and give no quarter to the genuine abuser."

I'm reminded of Churchill to one Lady Astor after she called him disgustingly d*unk. "My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly". I do not know the context of the "fat ugly bitch" comment, but I do know that by todays standards we would be looking to vilify Churchill. I would like to know what was said to cause a prospective MP to call a woman a ;fat ugly bitch'. I think there may be more to this than we are being told.

She was live in TV the other day. Basically she declined his crude advances in a club.

That’s why women on here block guys who send the “fancy a fuck” type messages...it avoids a similar come back?

moston

"She was live in TV the other day. Basically she declined his crude advances in a club.

That’s why women on here block guys who send the “fancy a fuck” type messages...it avoids a similar come back?"

Ah right...

So just to get this strait according to ***** cerebral palsy sufferer Jared O'Mara made a crude advance towards her in a nightclub which she rejected and he abused her by calling her an 'ugly bitch'.

Now I ask you to set aside politics and remember how women in clubs act when approached by males they consider to be beneath them. Do you think it is possible that she rejected him with a comment about his condition that elicited a reaction? If she was that upset why did she not complain to the bouncers? Why has it taken so long for her to complain? Do you think that maybe she suddenly realised that the man she put down in a club months ago is now her MP and spotted a chance for her 15 minutes of fame?

As I said, I do not know, but I wonder what would make a prospective MP make such an outburst, and for myself I think the most likely explanation is that some derogatory remark about him and his disability and that if she had complained at the time others around her would have rallied to his defence whereas now she can always deny any claim she said anything out of order.

Grantham

The girl in question and Jared O Mara were known to eachother. They had been out on a social date some time before, but nothing came out of it.

All this happened before he was selected as an MP, but he was a hard working local Labour councillor at the time.

Grantham

I should add to the above, that Jared O Mara has denied the allegations made by this woman.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

There is a need for decent people with high moral standards in parliament but it's important that they have them whilst doing the job. I don't think that we have the same levels of integrity that we had with many in the past, so a different type of person would be needed.

But past behavior is important and should be helped to guide selection - it's still important that when you are not a politician that you should not be expected to adhere to their standards. People learn and change and their honest beliefs now are important.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"I was watching question time and it was interesting. I reckon they should as the past dont define them as everyone can change over time, what is your view? "

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"I think that Labour MP who took Clegg's seat has been screwed over. Now it may be that he has said worse things than I have seen that were so indecent it couldn't be reported, however saying he would shag girls aloud or some other pop star should shove a piano up his arse is what you could hear in any pub in the country. I would say however it very much depends on context, obviously there are certain times where you can say such things, and other times you can't. I think that social media is having a huge impact, now and will have a greater impact in the future. The PM of 20 or 30 years time will probably have been on social media since they were a teenager or even younger. Would you like to read a tweet or a Facebook message from when you were 12 years old? Do you think someone would be able to find something not very ministerial? Of course they could.

"

So true but we will not be so touchy by then as social media will havew lost its novelty hopefully

» Add a new message to this topic