FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Apprenticeships fallen by 57%

Apprenticeships fallen by 57%

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *LCC OP   Couple  over a year ago

Cambridge

What do you make of the fact that apprenticeships have fallen by 57% in the last year?

Do you think there had been too much focus on grammar schools and not enough on vocational education?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

The figures are slightly skewed, as many Companies got their apprentices in before the Apprenticeship Levy kicked in.

The current system for Apprentice recruitment is not fit for purpose, and is something that the Government needs to think again on.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

From my own experience with people I know and friends of friends etc.

It seems most school leavers want to go to uni, they don’t even give an apprenticeship a second thought.

Out of my group of friends leavinh in school in 2008, a few of us did various apprenticeships. More went to college then to uni to do various courses.

Fast forward nearly 10 years and the ones who did the apprenticeships are doing far better than the majority of those who went to uni.

Far to many “Micky mouse” degrees around.

The number of jobs requiring graduates is far lower than the supply of graduates.

Even those with a “proper” degree are finding it tough...add to that the student debt they have....it’s not always the best route.

Cambridge

"Far to many “Micky mouse” degrees around.

The number of jobs requiring graduates is far lower than the supply of graduates.

Even those with a “proper” degree are finding it tough...add to that the student debt they have....it’s not always the best route."

So how does that affect the number of apprenticeships?

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

Why would anyone be surprised that new apprenticeships are down on last year?

All anyone has to do is give a little critical thought to the issues and it quickly becomes obvious that they would be down this year, it was just a question of scale. That they are down nearly 60% is a measure of UK employers lack of confidence in brexit and fear of a hard brexit effectively pricing them out of the UK's largest and most stable export market.

Was on the news the other day...figures are skewed by the 10% levy on larger employers which kicked in this year.

They took on much larger numbers last year to get in before it took effect...then cut down this year as it now costs them additional monies to take apprentices on.

They said there was “little change” among smaller companies who are exempt from the levy.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"Was on the news the other day...figures are skewed by the 10% levy on larger employers which kicked in this year.

They took on much larger numbers last year to get in before it took effect...then cut down this year as it now costs them additional monies to take apprentices on.

They said there was “little change” among smaller companies who are exempt from the levy."

Really?

Very little difference, figures skewed by 10%...

That's OK then, nothing to worry about because apprenticeships are only down by 50%.

[Removed by poster at 25/11/17 15:49:11]

The number of apprenticeships have dropped due to changes where employers have to contribute 10% of costs.

There are 'micky mouse' degrees ad mentioned. There's shite apprenticeships offered too where dodgy employers want to take the piss with paying shit for crap jobs. e.g "apprentice car park attendant", "apprentice window cleaner"

The drop i reckon is fewer shite so called apprenticeships offered by piss taker employers not wanting to contribute 10% of the costs.

Previously there were higher skilled like electricians, bricklayers, carpentry which are still currently offered.

I fancied thatching but no demand up here

By *oubepoMan  over a year ago

Spain Portugal France

Could it be a combination of Russian influence, Trump, Brexit, hatred and some other negative things which I'm sure someone here can think of?

"Could it be a combination of Russian influence, Trump, Brexit, hatred and some other negative things which I'm sure someone here can think of? "

Could be the countries fucked...but you wouldnt know not living here

"Could it be a combination of Russian influence, Trump, Brexit, hatred and some other negative things which I'm sure someone here can think of?

Could be the countries fucked...but you wouldnt know not living here "

Welsh gangs roaming the uk Nd terrorising us with close harmony songing

"

Welsh gangs roaming the uk Nd terrorising us with close harmony songing"

apologise or i'll sing an upper 7th harmonic of the chorus to myfanwy at you

"Was on the news the other day...figures are skewed by the 10% levy on larger employers which kicked in this year.

They said there was “little change” among smaller companies who are exempt from the levy.

Really?

That's OK then, nothing to worry about because apprenticeships are only down by 50%. "

Try reading my post properly. It didn’t say figures skewed by 10%.... it is the levy that is 10%!

They were artificially high last year because of the levy...dropped this year for same reason....

By *tjohnspairCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

Are apprenticeships available in English Language?

Cambridge

Really?

That's OK then, nothing to worry about because apprenticeships are only down by 50%.

Try reading my post properly. It didn’t say figures skewed by 10%.... it is the levy that is 10%!

They were artificially high last year because of the levy...dropped this year for same reason...."

So how many were there in 2015?

They have rose in scotland to over 26000

» Add a new message to this topic