FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > 51%

51%

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *LCC OP   Couple  over a year ago

Cambridge

According to Foreign Policy "For the first time, a majority in Northern Ireland (51 percent after factoring out undecideds, nonvoters, and spoilers) supported unification under the Irish Republic to remain in the European Union in the event of a “hard” Brexit."

There are many on here who have said things along the lines of 'let's just leave', advocating for a hard Brexit.

Does NI leaving the UK seem an acceptable price to pay for a hard Brexit? Or would that be seen as the EU essentially annexing a part of the UK without a shot being fired or a single soldier deployed?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ary_ArgyllMan  over a year ago

Argyll

There isn't a very good track record of the minority going along with the majority in Northern Ireland so I doubt this is going to work.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"According to Foreign Policy "For the first time, a majority in Northern Ireland (51 percent after factoring out undecideds, nonvoters, and spoilers) supported unification under the Irish Republic to remain in the European Union in the event of a “hard” Brexit."

There are many on here who have said things along the lines of 'let's just leave', advocating for a hard Brexit.

Does NI leaving the UK seem an acceptable price to pay for a hard Brexit? Or would that be seen as the EU essentially annexing a part of the UK without a shot being fired or a single soldier deployed? "

Id say good luck to them if thats what they want....remember we keep getting "its the will of the people" thrown at us...i do believe Nth Ireland voted overwhelmingly to remain

Cambridge

"There isn't a very good track record of the minority going along with the majority in Northern Ireland so I doubt this is going to work."

"The Good Friday Agreement signed in 1998, which ended the conflict, acknowledged the legitimacy of the desire for a united Ireland, while declaring that this "must be achieved and exercised with and subject to the agreement and consent of a majority of the people of Northern Ireland", acknowledging that "the present wish of a majority of the people of Northern Ireland, freely exercised and legitimate, is to maintain the Union", referring to "Northern Ireland’s status as part of the United Kingdom" and confirming "that it would be wrong to make any change in the status of Northern Ireland save with the consent of a majority of its people"."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Ireland

51% is a majority according to Brexiters.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

"There isn't a very good track record of the minority going along with the majority in Northern Ireland so I doubt this is going to work."

Is Brexit going to be a precedent for that in England too?

"

51% is a majority according to Brexiters. "

51% is a majority according to Wikipedia too...

A majority is the greater part, or more than half, of the total. It is a subset of a set consisting of more than half of the set's elements.

"Majority" can be used to specify the voting requirement, as in a "majority vote". A majority vote is more than half of the votes cast.

Why shouldn't 51% be a majority for Remainers too?

This all day long, although I've always said I'm in favour of more democracy not less unlike some people on here

The republic will never take the North back though, there long on words and sentiment but short on actually doing it.

They know full well they'll be entrenched in the same shit the UK was only reversed, pouring endless money into it in the vain hope of "contentment" to the small minority who just can't except the democratic will of the majority.

That’s if this “majority” actually exists?

And this from an OP who has consistently said that a 52/48 vote was not sufficient in an actual vote....but now 51% seems fine.

I’m not taking sides either way as NI is clearly very complex. But a little consistency would be nice.

Cambridge

"There isn't a very good track record of the minority going along with the majority in Northern Ireland so I doubt this is going to work.

And this from an OP who has consistently said that a 52/48 vote was not sufficient in an actual vote....but now 51% seems fine.

I’m not taking sides either way as NI is clearly very complex. But a little consistency would be nice."

I've always believed in a qualified majority

"There isn't a very good track record of the minority going along with the majority in Northern Ireland so I doubt this is going to work.

I’m not taking sides either way as NI is clearly very complex. But a little consistency would be nice.

I've always believed in a qualified majority "

Go on...

Cambridge

Go on..."

You can google it if you don't know what it means

Go on...

You can google it if you don't know what it means "

Do you believe in a majority?

Cambridge

Go on...

Do you believe in a majority?"

I've made my point quite clear, now instead of focusing on the minutiae, why don't you try contributing to the thread which is about the potential break up of the UK.

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

[Removed by poster at 20/12/17 11:48:48]

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

I don't believe a simple majority gives a sufficient mandate to make fundamental changes to the status quo. We've seen the amount of division and disruption trying to take the UK out of the EU has caused by trying to pretend that 52% of those that voted is a true representation of 'the will of the people'. How much more divisive do you think it would be in Northern Ireland if the much bigger change of changing the sovereignty and nationality of Northern Ireland was done on the basis of a similar result?

The whole idea of a peacefully united Ireland within the next 20 to 30 years is simply a pipe dream. You might be able to get a majority for a united Ireland within the next 10 years but it would only be united in name and almost definitely wouldn't be peaceful.

By *xplicitlyricsMan  over a year ago

south dublin

A slight majority isnt enough for Northern Ireland to make this change. We'd really need a solid majority to make this happen.

If theres a clear majority Id be hopeful that we wouldnt see a return to violence. The Troubles started because of Unionist and British government, police and army mistreating and abusing Catholics and if and when reunification happens we wouldnt see Protestants treated like that.

Particularly with the advantages of being in the EU I think we'd see a lot of Unionists suck it up, particularly once a lot of the older generation have died off.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"A slight majority isnt enough for Northern Ireland to make this change. We'd really need a solid majority to make this happen.

"

But apparently it is all that is needed to take the UK out of the EU...

Not enough off a majority would just cause more conflict for no good reason, I was born in Belfast lived in Belfast for 41 years I am Irish an don't care if the banana Republic governs this place il still pay tax drink beer work too hard an be on fab either way same as leaving eu don't think much will change

Go on...

Do you believe in a majority?

I've made my point quite clear, now instead of focusing on the minutiae, why don't you try contributing to the thread which is about the potential break up of the UK. "

It seems most others have mentioned majority too so I guess it wasn't so trivial after all. Nevertheless I'll try not to use the 'm' word again as it is your thread.

As for the potential break up of the UK, some would say this is inevitable particularly with the 'republican' population set to become greater than the 'unionist' population in the next decade or so.

By *inkywife1981Couple  over a year ago

A town near you

Do the 51% realise that a visit to the Doctor south of the border is 50euro a pop or a trip to A+E is 100euro, not to mention the extortionate cost of car tax and insurance.

They might realise why we go cross border shopping for alcohol and medicines also.

[Removed by poster at 21/12/17 12:36:48]

"Do the 51% realise that a visit to the Doctor south of the border is 50euro a pop or a trip to A+E is 100euro, not to mention the extortionate cost of car tax and insurance.

They might realise why we go cross border shopping for alcohol and medicines also."

Blimey no wonder they favour no border, it's the best of both taxs

Cambridge

"Do the 51% realise that a visit to the Doctor south of the border is 50euro a pop or a trip to A+E is 100euro, not to mention the extortionate cost of car tax and insurance.

They might realise why we go cross border shopping for alcohol and medicines also."

They probably do. I would presume that those living in NI who favour joining Eire have visited Eire once or twice.

They might realise why we go cross border shopping for alcohol and medicines also.

They probably do. I would presume that those living in NI who favour joining Eire have visited Eire once or twice. "

booze cruise/drive anybody

By *inkywife1981Couple  over a year ago

A town near you

Well either way many of us will be happy to see our country united if it were to be on the horizon but i think it's a million miles away

» Add a new message to this topic