FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Invest in Gold

Invest in Gold

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

has anyone on the forum bought gold as an investment?

has anyone dealt with Bullion by post / The Royal Mint Bullion etc

would anyone consider the purchase of 1kg gold bar as an investment, being aware that prices can go down as much as up

Gordon Brown taught us that lesson.

In all seriousness I am considering a purchase, can anyone advise the pro's and cons?

this would be long term and its cash that's just in a bank account doing nothing, I can take a hit with it

if some have advise on the pro's & Con's of investing in gold, I would love to hear

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

All RMR gold bars are VAT-free for non VAT registered private individuals. They also meet the criteria for UK citizens to buy through a Self-Invested Personal Pension (SIPP), allowing them to benefit from up to a 45% tax relief on their gold purchases

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

Gold has been a fairly standard investment for centuries. There are certainly worse investments out there.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Where you going to store it?.

"Where you going to store it?.

"

still looking into all of above as a consideration

if stored at home it would be in gun safe which is very secure

If stored via Royal Mint or Gold Bullion they charge a fee of around £300 per year for a 1kg bar

was hoping price of gold would drop drastically prior to purchase

Cambridge

If stored via Royal Mint or Gold Bullion they charge a fee of around £300 per year for a 1kg bar

was hoping price of gold would drop drastically prior to purchase"

If you are looking for a stable investment, then you wouldn't be looking at any commodity that would drop drastically.

Storing with a bank slightly negates the point of having your assets in gold don't you think?

Storing at home? Hmmm possible but I think a gun cabinet is unwise

"Storing with a bank slightly negates the point of having your assets in gold don't you think?

Storing at home? Hmmm possible but I think a gun cabinet is unwise "

remember it can be used as part of pension portfolio with 45% tax benefits

as for storing at home, no decision made, this is just a consideration, was hoping someone would already be investing with knowledge

I have full premium bond holding and have average returns of between £100 & £200 per month

kind of interested in gold as part of pension, guess a financial advisor is way to go

was hoping price of gold would drop drastically prior to purchase

If you are looking for a stable investment, then you wouldn't be looking at any commodity that would drop drastically. "

yes I see your point, except on initial purchase, if only I had a crystal ball

By *ilk_TreMan  over a year ago

Wherever the party is!

"Storing with a bank slightly negates the point of having your assets in gold don't you think?

How about a good old safe?

How about a good old safe? "

Todays Gun Cabinets are more secure than good ol safes, and police checked for security

Cambridge

Why is it possibly unwise to store in a gun cabinet? Do you think the gold will work up a blood lust and go on a shooting spree?

"has anyone on the forum bought gold as an investment?

would anyone consider the purchase of 1kg gold bar as an investment, being aware that prices can go down as much as up

In all seriousness I am considering a purchase, can anyone advise the pro's and cons?

this would be long term and its cash that's just in a bank account doing nothing, I can take a hit with it

if some have advise on the pro's & Con's of investing in gold, I would love to hear"

I looked into this 2 years ago.

I asked how much to buy gold, then asked how much to sell it back. It's a rip off I'm afraid. It costs a lot more to buy than you get back by selling

if some have advise on the pro's & Con's of investing in gold, I would love to hear

I looked into this 2 years ago.

I asked how much to buy gold, then asked how much to sell it back. It's a rip off I'm afraid. It costs a lot more to buy than you get back by selling"

no different from purchasing currency, of which you have to take these rates into account

remember there are good tax incentives which should well take care of buy/sell exchange rates

Todays Gun Cabinets are more secure than good ol safes, and police checked for security"

You can also melt it down and make model eiffel tower paper weights and paint em grey, like in tbe film 'the lavender hill mob'

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

I’m not sure how good bars compare, but I believe that gold sovereign coins are exempt from capital gains tax. Not sure how that compares to being able to invest them as a SIPP.

The only interaction I’ve had with gold is buying gold-backed cryptocurrency tokens. Was mainly just for fun. Although I do like the idea of cashing out some of my cryptocurrency investments in gold just for the fun of actual gold bars turning up on the doorstep.

-Matt

Todays Gun Cabinets are more secure than good ol safes, and police checked for security

You can also melt it down and make model eiffel tower paper weights and paint em grey, like in tbe film 'the lavender hill mob' "

yes, you can, but then you would loose your unique serial number and the manufacturer logo, which in turn I suspect would devalue

"I’m not sure how good bars compare, but I believe that gold sovereign coins are exempt from capital gains tax. Not sure how that compares to being able to invest them as a SIPP.

The only interaction I’ve had with gold is buying gold-backed cryptocurrency tokens. Was mainly just for fun. Although I do like the idea of cashing out some of my cryptocurrency investments in gold just for the fun of actual gold bars turning up on the doorstep.

-Matt"

Royal Mint Bullion & Bullion by post give info on 45% tax saving if part of your pension portfolio

use google and it gives you the info

You can also melt it down and make model eiffel tower paper weights and paint em grey, like in tbe film 'the lavender hill mob'

yes, you can, but then you would loose your unique serial number and the manufacturer logo, which in turn I suspect would devalue "

Tjey always spoil the fun

Why is it possibly unwise to store in a gun cabinet? Do you think the gold will work up a blood lust and go on a shooting spree? "

No I think robbers breaking in to steal valuable weapons will be pleasantly surprised for the extra windfall of a kg of gold.

Being an avid shooter like Ray is I'm pretty sure there's lots of bad guys would like to rob his house and as he's away alot there'd have ample opportunity

Cambridge

Why is it possibly unwise to store in a gun cabinet? Do you think the gold will work up a blood lust and go on a shooting spree? .

No I think robbers breaking in to steal valuable weapons will be pleasantly surprised for the extra windfall of a kg of gold.

Being an avid shooter like Ray is I'm pretty sure there's lots of bad guys would like to rob his house and as he's away alot there'd have ample opportunity"

All security does is buy you time. Having 2 safes to break into takes longer, but if you are saying they would have ample time whilst he is away then it makes no odds.

Being an avid shooter, you would be aware that guns and ammunition can't be kept together, so he will either already have 2 safes, or will have another additional locked compartment inside his gun cabinet. If they are breaking in just for the guns, they might leave the ammo, and not find the gold.

By *rincessvenusCouple  over a year ago

Hull

consider silver its worth a few quid investing in buy a antique buy a painting there are lots otf good investments

You can also melt it down and make model eiffel tower paper weights and paint em grey, like in tbe film 'the lavender hill mob' "

Or store it in a biscuit tin and bury it in the garden....worked for the Crown Jewels in WW2 apparently.

Why is it possibly unwise to store in a gun cabinet? Do you think the gold will work up a blood lust and go on a shooting spree? .

Being an avid shooter like Ray is I'm pretty sure there's lots of bad guys would like to rob his house and as he's away alot there'd have ample opportunity

All security does is buy you time. Having 2 safes to break into takes longer, but if you are saying they would have ample time whilst he is away then it makes no odds.

Being an avid shooter, you would be aware that guns and ammunition can't be kept together, so he will either already have 2 safes, or will have another additional locked compartment inside his gun cabinet. If they are breaking in just for the guns, they might leave the ammo, and not find the gold. "

I can get into a gun cabinet in about 2 minutes, I know I've done it ??

I bought silver a few years back.

Sold it all when the price went up a bit. Still, most people are holding out for another 2012 crash which sends precious metals through the roof.

I used to buy 10oz at a time usually. If you’re buying 1kg or gold that almost 31 grand plus whatever the seller adds on.

A general rule most stackers follow is spread the investment over a few small purchases, four 250g bars for example. At least then if you need to sell for any reason you don’t have to sell it all.

There’s also more people who would buy 250g off you privately than 1kg.

Personally I think gold needs to drop back to £750-£800 per oz or £24k-ish per kg before I’d look at buying it.

I'd read up on some history about how the gold in fort Knox got there?.

Then think what does gold hedge against

Just bought some Walt Disney shares

hope you are all heading to Florida this year

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

if some have advise on the pro's & Con's of investing in gold, I would love to hear"

Direct answer to a direct question?

Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) simply tracks the gold price. Usually very low fees and can be part of your tax free ISA allowance.

No storage costs or security concerns.

Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) simply tracks the gold price. Usually very low fees and can be part of your tax free ISA allowance.

No storage costs or security concerns."

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

No storage costs or security concerns.

If stored via Royal Mint or Gold Bullion they charge a fee of around £300 per year for a 1kg bar"

The expense ratio of an ETF is typically 0.4%. Current market price of gold £30000/kg so £121 per annum.

Up to you.

seems a reasonably safe bet for long term

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

Make it into a big chain and wear it around ya neck like some twats do x

"Make it into a big chain and wear it around ya neck like some twats do x"

no jewellery is only worth its weight in gold

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"I’m not sure how good bars compare, but I believe that gold sovereign coins are exempt from capital gains tax. Not sure how that compares to being able to invest them as a SIPP.

-Matt

Royal Mint Bullion & Bullion by post give info on 45% tax saving if part of your pension portfolio

use google and it gives you the info"

You earn enough to pay 45 percent tax is that what you're trying to tell us all ?

A balanced sipp should ideally contain all asset classes

And the tax advantages range from 20 to 45 depending upon earnings

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"I bought silver a few years back.

Sold it all when the price went up a bit. Still, most people are holding out for another 2012 crash which sends precious metals through the roof.

I used to buy 10oz at a time usually. If you’re buying 1kg or gold that almost 31 grand plus whatever the seller adds on.

A general rule most stackers follow is spread the investment over a few small purchases, four 250g bars for example. At least then if you need to sell for any reason you don’t have to sell it all.

There’s also more people who would buy 250g off you privately than 1kg.

Personally I think gold needs to drop back to £750-£800 per oz or £24k-ish per kg before I’d look at buying it.

"

Looking at the equity markets today I think you are going have a long wait.

When equities fall gold always goes up.

Currently trading at $1,332 which is pretty much flat for the day but as the footsie fell sharply this morning it peaked at $1,343.

I think that the pressure on equities will be downward for the next few months and I expect gold, as the traditional safe haven, to increase.

Haven't read all the thread. Numismatics as a child led me into purchasing gold sovereigns - and I have done very well out of them. Buying Sovereigns makes sense - capital gains tax free when you sell - and their size (7.98gms of 22carat) means they are easy to sell (selling a 1 Kg bar of gold is NOT easy - you are stuck with bullion dealers).

Sovereigns I purchased for £80 or so, I`ve recently sold for £250.

If you bought £14k worth of gold in early 70s - you'd be not far off a millionaire today - as a medium to long term investment - great but, as ever, not all eggs in one basket (not even golden ones)

Perhaps Now is the time to invest in facebook

» Add a new message to this topic