FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > 16

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Is it to young to vote. So many young people are interested in politics so why not x

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

Absolutely.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Some people at that age will be much more politically informed than their elder's..

reaching an age does not mean that one automatically becomes aware of politics and how one can effect such things but if 16, why not 15 or even 14..

i think that as it is its ok..

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Is it to young to vote. So many young people are interested in politics so why not x"

Only in England.

Scotland recognises the maturity of our teenagers and our 16 year olds can vote.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"Is it to young to vote. So many young people are interested in politics so why not x"

The entire system needs a revamp. Voting age, electoral system, House of Lords... Everything.

"Is it to young to vote. So many young people are interested in politics so why not x

The entire system needs a revamp. Voting age, electoral system, House of Lords... Everything."

By *VBethTV/TS  over a year ago

Warminster

We don't consider people old enough to drive, choose to drink, smoke, get married without permission etc at 16. Should they be the ones choosing the government? Whilst I'm aware some may be politically aware, it's horribly obvious that others aren't.

So personally I think 18 is fine.

"We don't consider people old enough to drive, choose to drink, smoke, get married without permission etc at 16. Should they be the ones choosing the government? Whilst I'm aware some may be politically aware, it's horribly obvious that others aren't.

"

Again Tunnel vision of "England", young 16 year olds from England can indeed nip over the border and get married in Scotland

although they still cannot vote in Scotland, only residents at the age of 16 can vote.

By *ary_ArgyllMan  over a year ago

Argyll

"We don't consider people old enough to drive, choose to drink, smoke, get married without permission etc at 16. Should they be the ones choosing the government? Whilst I'm aware some may be politically aware, it's horribly obvious that others aren't.

Again Tunnel vision of "England", young 16 year olds from England can indeed nip over the border and get married in Scotland

although they still cannot vote in Scotland, only residents at the age of 16 can vote."

A special rule was put in place for the Scottish Indie referendum but the voting age is 18 for all other elections in Scotland.

By *VBethTV/TS  over a year ago

Warminster

My apologies, I should have included Scotland's different marriage laws.

I thought the voting age up there was changed before the independence referendum as it was felt more 16-17 would vote leave wasn't it?

"My apologies, I should have included Scotland's different marriage laws.

I thought the voting age up there was changed before the independence referendum as it was felt more 16-17 would vote leave wasn't it? "

your welcome

and yes it was before, it was felt they should be allowed a say in the future of Scotland

By *inkyHnSCouple  over a year ago

The Council of Elrond

although they still cannot vote in Scotland, only residents at the age of 16 can vote.

A special rule was put in place for the Scottish Indie referendum but the voting age is 18 for all other elections in Scotland."

Wrong

The Scottish election 2016 16/17 years could vote and the council elections lol

MSPs voted on it and it passed

moston

It is strange, everyone seems to forge the reason the voting age was reduced from 21 to 18 in 1974. The reason for that change has not changed, in fact the UN now consider that anyone under the age of 18 who is forced into combat is a child soldier and that those who do the forcing are guilty of a war crime and a crime against humanity.

Now just to be clear some here seem to think that children should have a vote, so if this is the case why stop at 16 or 14 or 10 or 5 surely if some children should be given a vote then all children should be given a vote...

Anyone see a problem with this?

"It is strange, everyone seems to forge the reason the voting age was reduced from 21 to 18 in 1974. The reason for that change has not changed, in fact the UN now consider that anyone under the age of 18 who is forced into combat is a child soldier and that those who do the forcing are guilty of a war crime and a crime against humanity.

Now just to be clear some here seem to think that children should have a vote, so if this is the case why stop at 16 or 14 or 10 or 5 surely if some children should be given a vote then all children should be given a vote...

Anyone see a problem with this?"

your not a child at 16, or at least I wasn't,

left home, living on my own, working, earning a wage, paying tax

Life was good then, still is now

moston

You may not have thought yourself a child, but you were not an adult.

I am not in any way lessening what you did or how you felt.

But I would say we should not be so quick to strip childhood (even the last teenage vestiges of it) from our youth, and we should remember that should our politicians decide (for their own gain) to give 16 and 17 YO's the vote then other 'freedoms' have to be granted at the same time.

Those freedoms are the ones of adulthoood:

To be treated as an adult in all legal matters.

To be eligible for frontline active military service.

To be able to legally smoke and drink.

I am sure there are many more examples, but I think that the vast majority of us would agree that considering how emotionally immature many if not most 16 and 17 YO's are the (dubious) benefits of giving them the vote are far outweighed by the negatives that would accompany that vote.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Yes I think the voting age should be 21 but will get the old argument but you can fight for your country so raise that age as well

This is the 16th post on the topic of 16

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I think 16 is a reasonable age to vote, knowing the maturity of the teenage mind etc.

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

Two of our children are secondary school teachers.

They are both of the opinion that 16 and 17 year olds should not be able to vote.

moston

"Yes I think the voting age should be 21 but will get the old argument but you can fight for your country so raise that age as well"

I am in full agreement with you. I was nothing but a political reflection of my parents at 18 and it took until well into my 20's for me to break that conditioning. Also during my military service I noticed that many who joined up at 18 did so as an act of defiance and rebellion against their parents and were looking to PVR or handing in their notice as soon as possible, but were gone from the services by 21. However those who joined later seemed to have a lower fallout rate (this is very much anecdotal and I have no proof it is anything more than my perception).

» Add a new message to this topic