FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Rape victims may go to jail

Rape victims may go to jail

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

..if they fail to testify.

Just read this online- this may only relate to Scotland.

If alleged victims fail to testify at the trial, they may be jailed. The MSPs have sought clarification and the Solicitor General said they would be,' in exceptional circumstances'.

I think we would all agree that false accusations should result in consequences, but is it wrong to have the threat of jail over some who don't testify? What are 'exceptional circumstances'?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"..if they fail to testify.

Just read this online- this may only relate to Scotland.

If alleged victims fail to testify at the trial, they may be jailed. The MSPs have sought clarification and the Solicitor General said they would be,' in exceptional circumstances'.

I think we would all agree that false accusations should result in consequences, but is it wrong to have the threat of jail over some who don't testify? What are 'exceptional circumstances'?

"

If it goes to court then surely whoever brings the accusations should have to give evidence? Otherwise what would be the point ?

There are a number of reasons a victim would wish to withdraw a statement, most absolutely genuine, others less so, but that's not possible- once a complaint is made in front of a police officer, it's up to the police, not the victim, whether or not it proceeds. It may be some victims will not give evidence for very sound reasons but be very genuine.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Giving evidence in a court of your own r#pe, with the scum sat watching you, must be a very harrowing experience.

"Giving evidence in a court of your own r#pe, with the scum sat watching you, must be a very harrowing experience. "

Or vindicating depending on your views

And if it was, could you blame them?

However, I suspect vindication only supercedes reliving the hell when the guilty verdict is achieved. Or, maybe, closure.

By *ral ExtraordinaireMan  over a year ago

Kent

Very difficult unless theres hard facts !!

All you got to look at is the young girl allegedly gang r.aped by was imprisoned as police said she faked it !

But evidence shows that theres a big cover up by cyprus police n authorities

By *hMyGawdCouple  over a year ago

Midlands

Proven false allegations should result in the same sentence for the accuser as would have been given to the falsely accused.

"Giving evidence in a court of your own r#pe, with the scum sat watching you, must be a very harrowing experience. "

Exactly!! The only time an alleged victim should have charges against them is if there's irrefutable evidence of malice/intent to bring false charges against the accused

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

As it's often such a potentially traumatic experience, individuals should be free to determine their own participation and right to withdraw

Since that right does not exist in Scotland, the only resort is not to testify.

Kent

Theres a whole lot of shit going on in cyprus now where there trying to convict a girl who was gang r.ape . There trying to stitch her up n jail her accusing her of lying

Kent

[Removed by poster at 27/12/19 19:29:13]

Very awkward topic to really take a firm stance on.

Kent

[Removed by poster at 29/12/19 00:31:21]

"Theres a whole lot of shit going on in cyprus now where there trying to convict a girl who was gang r.ape . There trying to stitch her up n jail her accusing her of lying "

Just been found guilty

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Some real inconsistencies in her account including one of the alleged offenders not actually being there at the material times has led to this verdict. And then the awful investigation and how they treated the vulnerable witness.

The whole case should be scrutinised again properly.

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

Obviously this is for claims where the person at the final hour recants their statement, which is probably an exceptional circumstance.

I think all victims of all crimes should be forced to testify and all people doing illegal stuff just locked up.

That whole case in Cyprus has really opened my eyes to how fucking thick some people can be. I haven't seen the video nor do I want to, but I've had to explain to people that a 30 second clip of the girl apparently having consensual sex is not enough to prove she's guilty of lying.

We have no idea what happened after that video ended, but the fact that people choose to believe she was lying over it sicken me. She probably did consent to having sex with those two lads, but she most probably did not consent to being filmed or having the other lads join in. And even if she did consent to being filmed, it's a crime to release it anyway I think.

Thing is, due to the length of the video, I actually believe she's telling the truth. Two young lads having sex with a girl on holiday wouldn't just make a 30 second sex tape. It'd be much longer than that. To me it seems like a get out of jail free card. They recorded just enough footage to throw a bit of doubt on her story if she reports it.

The fact that all the guys were given lawyers within hours and she had to wait and was interviewed without one present is very fishy

Kent

Must of heard about the travisty in cyprus . The biggest miscarriage of justice involving a gang r.ape of a british girl where 10 mens dna was traced and so much evidence pointing to the accused attackers guilt .

....then the victim went to prison for 5weeks and bailed for 6months stuck on the island .

Utter fcking disgrace Cyprus !

It's all very well threatening victims with custodial sentences.. The courts need to support victims so that they have the least traumatic experience whilst giving evidence - Screens, video link etc.. Only when it can be said that every avenue has been explored should this question even be discussed. Yes there are liars, but they are outnumbered massively by victims being too traumatised by the whole process... Support them first I say.

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

It will just stop more victims coming forward.

Just to say, out of my female friends everyone of them has at some point had unwanted advances some aggressive and frightening, over half have been sexually assaulted in their lifetime and a handful sexually abused by a step father/relative.

I had two instances when I was younger where young guys attempted to perform sex acts I did not consent to. Thankfully I escaped to friends in the next room.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Thankfully, most people I've spoken to around Paralimni in Cyprus are sure of her innocence and the fully inappropriate stance taken by Cypriot police etc.

The legal process is still too dominated by the male stance, which is no good for anyone but for wrongdoers.

The UK system is going backwards and fails women.

"Proven false allegations should result in the same sentence for the accuser as would have been given to the falsely accused."

Yep I agree.

A mate of mine was accused, charged, convicted and then cleared after the lady in question was found to have made t all up.

She got much less time than he did.

His life is now destroyed, wife left him, lost his job etc.

He's been homeless now for 4 years and struggling to rebuild his life, he sofa surfs when he can and I give him food and bits to help.

Disgusting how he's been treated

barnstaple

"Proven false allegations should result in the same sentence for the accuser as would have been given to the falsely accused.

Yep I agree.

A mate of mine was accused, charged, convicted and then cleared after the lady in question was found to have made t all up.

He's been homeless now for 4 years and struggling to rebuild his life, he sofa surfs when he can and I give him food and bits to help.

Disgusting how he's been treated"

Very few men are taken to court and convicted.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

"Proven false allegations should result in the same sentence for the accuser as would have been given to the falsely accused.

Yep I agree.

Disgusting how he's been treated"

Poor bloke. There should be support in these cases.

Yep I agree.

Very few men are taken to court and convicted."

Your point being?

barnstaple

Yep I agree.

Your point being?"

Its a fact. It's also a fact he shagged someone else whilst married wether she consented or not.

Yep I agree.

Your point being?

Its a fact. It's also a fact he shagged someone else whilst married wether she consented or not. "

Err, did you not read my post, he was cleared, she made the whole thing up.

barnstaple

Yep I agree.

Your point being?

Its a fact. It's also a fact he shagged someone else whilst married wether she consented or not.

Err, did you not read my post, he was cleared, she made the whole thing up."

You said he was accused and convicted. How ? Women undergo intrusive evidence gathering. Are you saying there was no evidence ?

If there was sperm etc present he still shagged her. He was married, no wonder his wife left him.

» Add a new message to this topic