FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > £900 worse off and we have not even left!

£900 worse off and we have not even left!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oo hot OP   Couple  over a year ago

North West

Thanks...

"British households are more than £900 worse off following the vote to leave the European Union, according to the governor of the Bank of England.

Comparing forecasts made by Threadneedle Street before the referendum, prepared on the basis of a remain vote, Mark Carney told MPs that household incomes were now significantly lower than expected.

“Real household incomes are about £900 per household lower than we forecast in May of 2016, which is a lot of money,” he said.

Business leaders say economic nationalism is biggest growth threat.

Speaking in front of the Treasury select committee of MPs, Carney also said the economy was 2% smaller than forecast before the EU referendum, despite the strength of the global economy and an emergency rate cut from the Bank after the Brexit vote.

“That’s a reasonable difference” to forecasts for the economy made in May 2016, he added.

Quoted in several news outlets

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

Well done guys

By *eedsandyMan  over a year ago

Leeds

Because you believe Carney and his forecasts? The worst governor ever. Luckily at the end of his contract and out of the door this year.

Have you noticed £900 missing? Wages are now rising again. Inflation is very low. Interest rates are rock bottom. Supermarket price wars are raging. The Internet is pushing prices through the floor.

Those are the things that really affect household income, not what Carney says.

The only thing that has risen recently is petrol, and you can blame Iran for that one! But then again, diesel cars are at a rock bottom price, so you save more on the purchase cost, than the extra that you spend on petrol!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Mr Carny will do anything to justify his own Brexit position. Has he stated that the Euro zone growth has collapsed since now 5months, that the hedging rates on Italian government bonds has increased since April by 9percent meaning that the big international investment companies are bailing out of

Italy and the Euro?

No he has not, the figure he is quoting is out of the work papers before the referendum.

Mr Carny is trying is best to salvage his reputation, but ask anyone in his ex company what they think of him and the

answer might surprise.

Bring back the old governor he was npt scared of anyone and spoke the truth evem if it hurt.

Leeds

Spot on!

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Did he elaborate on what made up this £900 figure?

Leeds

"Did he elaborate on what made up this £900 figure?

"

Savile Row suits probably. He is probably complaining because his tailor has put the price of his up!

It was to be expected.Just the the tip of the iceberg of shit to come.We must all suffer for the extremists vision.

usual right wing horse shit bollox defending the current economy coming from the usual clowns.... the FACT is that we have ten fucking years of growth and wage rises etc etc etc to catch up on thanks to the fucking morons who voted for these incompetent fucking clowns who are busy fucking everybodys shit up irreparably ... well done

Cambridge

"Because you believe Carney and his forecasts? The worst governor ever. Luckily at the end of his contract and out of the door this year.

Have you noticed £900 missing? Wages are now rising again. Inflation is very low. Interest rates are rock bottom. Supermarket price wars are raging. The Internet is pushing prices through the floor.

Those are the things that really affect household income, not what Carney says.

The only thing that has risen recently is petrol, and you can blame Iran for that one! But then again, diesel cars are at a rock bottom price, so you save more on the purchase cost, than the extra that you spend on petrol!"

More brexiters yet again attacking the British way of doing things. They attack MPs, they attack the Lords, they attack the Bank of England, they attack the supreme court, they attack the press. I think they hate Britain nearly as much as they hate the EU.

Grantham

"Thanks...

"British households are more than £900 worse off following the vote to leave the European Union, according to the governor of the Bank of England.

Comparing forecasts made by Threadneedle Street before the referendum, prepared on the basis of a remain vote, Mark Carney told MPs that household incomes were now significantly lower than expected.

“Real household incomes are about £900 per household lower than we forecast in May of 2016, which is a lot of money,” he said.

Speaking in front of the Treasury select committee of MPs, Carney also said the economy was 2% smaller than forecast before the EU referendum, despite the strength of the global economy and an emergency rate cut from the Bank after the Brexit vote.

“That’s a reasonable difference” to forecasts for the economy made in May 2016, he added.

Quoted in several news outlets "

You missed out the part where Mark Carney admitted that "he could not say that this is entirely due to Brexit".

(m) adding on to our 1st post. I am British proud Yorkshire man, but here the trick I speak 7 languages fluent thanks to Swiss education hammered in.

In Switzerland they still have freedom of speech and respect both sides of a discussion. Brexit no one is right and the result can only be seen in 20years from now in guess History lessons.

Sadly Mr Carny has a bad reputation in banking for blaming all others except himself.

This as now at the moment Anglosaxon countries and China are doing better then the rest of the world; but many technocrats in Brussels are using Brexit to find bad news in example Hungary / freedom of speech, France unemployment of minorities of above 42percent, italy 900, 000 refugees and a new government which is anti Brussels.

So everything possible said, done or evem suggested by anyone in Brexit discussions is bad for the UK.

Cambridge

"(m) adding on to our 1st post. I am British proud Yorkshire man, but here the trick I speak 7 languages fluent thanks to Swiss education hammered in.

In Switzerland they still have freedom of speech and respect both sides of a discussion. Brexit no one is right and the result can only be seen in 20years from now in guess History lessons.

Sadly Mr Carny has a bad reputation in banking for blaming all others except himself.

This as now at the moment Anglosaxon countries and China are doing better then the rest of the world; but many technocrats in Brussels are using Brexit to find bad news in example Hungary / freedom of speech, France unemployment of minorities of above 42percent, italy 900, 000 refugees and a new government which is anti Brussels.

So everything possible said, done or evem suggested by anyone in Brexit discussions is bad for the UK.

"

Deflect! Deflect! Deflect! Look at these other things over there, we don't need to look at our own fuck ups, look over there, look over there! Nothing to see here, move along!

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

Basically it was a comparative study done between the economic situation now and the economic situation pre Brexit vote

So it would take into consideration the rises in inflation.. the rises in mortgage rates... the drop in the value of the pound and what that has meant to production prices and increases in price for oil and gas etc....

The problem the regular brexit slappies are going to have with this piece of analysis is that it isn’t predicting what is going to happen in the future.... it is telling you what has happened so far.... and you can’t rubbish fact

By *inkyLondonpairCouple  over a year ago

London

I would have more respect for the brexit people if they would be honest about the economic effects. It's bleeding obvious that when you recast your entire forty five year old trading relationships there is going to be an economic hit. That's what all informed opinion says.

Why do the brexiters never concede that, but argue that long term it will be worth it?

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

When it comes to finances all I can really go on is my own financial position...

I have gone from mostly shopping in Asda buying a mic of Asda's own brands and household names and being able to save between £25 and £30 a week, to doing most of my shopping in lidl buying the economy range and looking for short date reductions, and I am no longer able to save. But this is just me, so although I am probably pretty typical of millions I do not count because at best my experience is nothing more than anecdotal and can therefore be dismissed. Of course the fact that the no frills budget supermarket lidl has doubled its market share in the last 2 years and And aldi has seen about a 50% growth in sales can also be disregarded because between them they they only account for about 10 to 15% of the market...

So all is fine, nothing to see here, move along.

Grantham

Basically it was a comparative study done between the economic situation now and the economic situation pre Brexit vote

So it would take into consideration the rises in inflation.. the rises in mortgage rates... the drop in the value of the pound and what that has meant to production prices and increases in price for oil and gas etc....

The problem the regular brexit slappies are going to have with this piece of analysis is that it isn’t predicting what is going to happen in the future.... it is telling you what has happened so far.... and you can’t rubbish fact"

Yes, he's taken one statistic and translated it across to come up with the £900 figure.

I agree in part but not with all of your analysis. Inflation rose across the whole of Europe, as tends to happen in the cyclic nature of events. Yes, ours went up more than comparable countries but it is starting to come down again.

Roses in oil prices haven't helped and this is a global problem. Brent was trading at a fraction under 80 dollars at lunch, compared to around 48 dollars at referendum time. We can all see this at the pumps but blame Trump, Iran, and now Venezuela for this.

The real hurt has been the devaluation of the pound, leading to higher import costs. I had expected it to have come up by now but Brexit is certainly to blame for that.

The economy has many factors and as I said, Mark Carney admitted that he couldn't blame everything on Brexit alone.

Cambridge

The problem the regular brexit slappies are going to have with this piece of analysis is that it isn’t predicting what is going to happen in the future.... it is telling you what has happened so far.... and you can’t rubbish fact

Yes, he's taken one statistic and translated it across to come up with the £900 figure.

I agree in part but not with all of your analysis. Inflation rose across the whole of Europe, as tends to happen in the cyclic nature of events. Yes, ours went up more than comparable countries but it is starting to come down again.

Roses in oil prices haven't helped and this is a global problem. Brent was trading at a fraction under 80 dollars at lunch, compared to around 48 dollars at referendum time. We can all see this at the pumps but blame Trump, Iran, and now Venezuela for this.

The real hurt has been the devaluation of the pound, leading to higher import costs. I had expected it to have come up by now but Brexit is certainly to blame for that.

The economy has many factors and as I said, Mark Carney admitted that he couldn't blame everything on Brexit alone."

You forgot to mention what happened to UK growth.

Grantham

Yes, growth has slumped. Would be easy to say that you can't be top of the tree all the time but Brexit has led to uncertainy, and in turn lower growth.

I've not seen it in my sector, but others have. That I accept.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Crying over spilt milk really.

These warnings were given during the referendum.

But a majority ignored them.

I recall a lady being interviewed in the north-east after Cameron gave a speech saying every household would be £3000 poorer on average.

"£3000? I don't know what that looks like," she said. "I have no money now and if I have no money then it will make no difference to me."

Kinda summed up for me just how out of touch with reality the posh boys of Cameron and Osborne were.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The Brexit vote scuppered the UK's growth, sinking it in international league tables.

I imagine that most typical people are a lot worse than £900 worse off.

moston

"The Brexit vote scuppered the UK's growth, sinking it in international league tables.

I imagine that most typical people are a lot worse than £900 worse off."

The problem is that if a millionaire looses £900 they are still a millionaire. If a single mother on benefits looses £900 that's a the food budget for a month or 2 gone!

Welcome to the new we are all in it together Briton where cuts for those at the bottom pay for tax cuts for the wealthy, but its all fine because we are leaving the EU! I wonder at what point the penny will drop with the working class Tories that they have been (and the rest of the country) have been well and truly Kippered!

My god there was an item on our local news (not even a lead story, just a time filler) that said GPs are now reporting prescribing protein and energy drinks in the NW to combat malnutrition! WTF! Where are the news headlines? Where is the outrage? No that is reserved for attacking JC and Labour.

By *uietbloke67Man  over a year ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

"

900 £1.00 coins

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple  over a year ago

Dudley

"The Brexit vote scuppered the UK's growth, sinking it in international league tables.

I imagine that most typical people are a lot worse than £900 worse off.

The problem is that if a millionaire looses £900 they are still a millionaire. If a single mother on benefits looses £900 that's a the food budget for a month or 2 gone!

Welcome to the new we are all in it together Briton where cuts for those at the bottom pay for tax cuts for the wealthy, but its all fine because we are leaving the EU! I wonder at what point the penny will drop with the working class Tories that they have been (and the rest of the country) have been well and truly Kippered!

My god there was an item on our local news (not even a lead story, just a time filler) that said GPs are now reporting prescribing protein and energy drinks in the NW to combat malnutrition! WTF! Where are the news headlines? Where is the outrage? No that is reserved for attacking JC and Labour."

Will you be sharing the blame for this £900 loss as you voted leave (like myself), do you want to go an explain to the single mother you are talking about!?

Total hypocrite,the enigma of Will goes on!

By *urve BallWoman  over a year ago

North London

We're doing just great! High street shops are dropping like flies lately because we're all so rich and can't stop shopping!

"We're doing just great! High street shops are dropping like flies lately because we're all so rich and can't stop shopping!"

All is well in wonderland.We will soon be flooded with milk and honey.

"Thanks...

I think the we can safely ignore Mark Carney.

The stock exchange hit an all time high yesterday. This is hardly a sign of a weak economy . It is also great news for pensioners and anyone investing in a pension fund .

In addition unemployment is at an all time low and. I would like to know how anyone can be worse off than two years ago. ? Once the long term benefits of Brexit kick in things can only get better .

Hasn’t inflation increased since 2015 ish ? Isn’t this a measure of prices ? Hasn’t wages lagged being inflation ? I’m not sure where the brexit positivity that says carney is wrong has come from ....

"Thanks...

Quoted in several news outlets I think the we can safely ignore Mark Carney.

The stock exchange hit an all time high yesterday. This is hardly a sign of a weak economy . It is also great news for pensioners and anyone investing in a pension fund .

In addition unemployment is at an all time low and. I would like to know how anyone can be worse off than two years ago. ? Once the long term benefits of Brexit kick in things can only get better ."

I don’t know if it’s still true but the growth in ftse immediately after brexit was largely in multinationals who’s overseas profits were boosted by the fall in Sterling. Not exactly a good news story.

And increased employment is good for those who have found employment. Doesn’t mean those who were already in employment are better off ...

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

carney ...doom and gloom merchant ....could not run a bath x

Cambridge

"carney ...doom and gloom merchant ....could not run a bath x"

Or one of the most successful economists in the world? The first non-brit to be Govenor since 1694.

Well all I can say is am on a tight budget and I am certainly not £900 worse off

"Well all I can say is am on a tight budget and I am certainly not £900 worse off "

I suspect the argument is you could have been better off than you are ....

Dudley

"Well all I can say is am on a tight budget and I am certainly not £900 worse off

I suspect the argument is you could have been better off than you are ...."

Or is it you MIGHT have been better off, as we all know these forecasts are revised up and down.Who knows!

moston

"Will you be sharing the blame for this £900 loss as you voted leave (like myself), do you want to go an explain to the single mother you are talking about!?

Total hypocrite,the enigma of Will goes on! "

You still don't get it do you...

In 2010 apparently it was labours fault that US banks and insurance companies defrauded the world and we needed 5 years of austerity to balance the books and remove the deficit. But the money cut from the national budget was used to cut wealth taxes. Then in 2015 a deal was done with ukip that resulted in the referendum so the tories could stay in power because it was the EUs fault that 5 years were needed to clear the deficit. Then comes 2017 and its the remoaners fault, the deal is with the DUP and it will be 2022 or beyond before austerity can stop and there are more tax cuts for the super rich! Funny how the rich and powerful fuck us over and it is never their fault and it is the poor that have to pay.

Well I for 1 am sick of 40 years (that's just about my whole adult life) of hearing the same spiel out of the rich and powerful while I watch them enrich themselves while the same forelock tugging morons keep lapping up the you dont want to go back to the bad old days of the 70's...

Remember those bad old days when you were so much poorer with your free education, free healthcare including dental and eye care. The bad old days when there were books in schools and they all had playing fields. Those terrible days when a shop worker could afford a mortgage, and if you paid into a pension it was there when you retired.

Well guess what in 9 months all the excuses will have been stripped away from the pigs with their snouts in the trough and their supporters. Then I hope that the likes of you wake up to the reality of what has been done to you for virtually your whole life and with luck you will get mad enough about it that you will help me make sure its at least 50 years before another tory gets to even share power as the junior member of a coalition.

But to be honest I hold out little hope for that result.

North West

"Well all I can say is am on a tight budget and I am certainly not £900 worse off

Or is it you MIGHT have been better off, as we all know these forecasts are revised up and down.Who knows! "

Not quite...

The figures are based on actuals in 2016 and actuals now. The UK has in the same period gone from the fasting growing EU and G7 country and slipped from the 5th largest economy in the world, to the 6th.

Dudley

"Will you be sharing the blame for this £900 loss as you voted leave (like myself), do you want to go an explain to the single mother you are talking about!?

Total hypocrite,the enigma of Will goes on!

You still don't get it do you...

In 2010 apparently it was labours fault that US banks and insurance companies defrauded the world and we needed 5 years of austerity to balance the books and remove the deficit. But the money cut from the national budget was used to cut wealth taxes. Then in 2015 a deal was done with ukip that resulted in the referendum so the tories could stay in power because it was the EUs fault that 5 years were needed to clear the deficit. Then comes 2017 and its the remoaners fault, the deal is with the DUP and it will be 2022 or beyond before austerity can stop and there are more tax cuts for the super rich! Funny how the rich and powerful fuck us over and it is never their fault and it is the poor that have to pay.

Well I for 1 am sick of 40 years (that's just about my whole adult life) of hearing the same spiel out of the rich and powerful while I watch them enrich themselves while the same forelock tugging morons keep lapping up the you dont want to go back to the bad old days of the 70's...

Remember those bad old days when you were so much poorer with your free education, free healthcare including dental and eye care. The bad old days when there were books in schools and they all had playing fields. Those terrible days when a shop worker could afford a mortgage, and if you paid into a pension it was there when you retired.

Well guess what in 9 months all the excuses will have been stripped away from the pigs with their snouts in the trough and their supporters. Then I hope that the likes of you wake up to the reality of what has been done to you for virtually your whole life and with luck you will get mad enough about it that you will help me make sure its at least 50 years before another tory gets to even share power as the junior member of a coalition.

But to be honest I hold out little hope for that result."

Will I am wide awake and I will never get you! You talk about people being worse off because of brexit like it's a tragedy and in other treads you are saying you hope everyone suffers when we leave! Make your mind up, it just seems to be the rambling of someone who has no grip on reality!

By *ellowyellowXMan  over a year ago

cardiff

This Governor is a joke, total negativity spewing from his mouth every time he talks about Brexit.

Or is it you MIGHT have been better off, as we all know these forecasts are revised up and down.Who knows! "

I can honestly say that Brexit is not having any impact on the industry I work in as my wage would be the same if it was a remain the thing that impacts my wage is rent council renter more money less benefits council tax again more money less benifit, it's the fact that people in public sector jobs are getting more and more money for doing alot less work than they used to

Cambridge

Or is it you MIGHT have been better off, as we all know these forecasts are revised up and down.Who knows!

I can honestly say that Brexit is not having any impact on the industry I work in as my wage would be the same if it was a remain the thing that impacts my wage is rent council renter more money less benefits council tax again more money less benifit, it's the fact that people in public sector jobs are getting more and more money for doing alot less work than they used to "

And wouldn't the world be such a better place if everyone was like you and only thought about themselves

I can honestly say that Brexit is not having any impact on the industry I work in as my wage would be the same if it was a remain the thing that impacts my wage is rent council renter more money less benefits council tax again more money less benifit, it's the fact that people in public sector jobs are getting more and more money for doing alot less work than they used to

And wouldn't the world be such a better place if everyone was like you and only thought about themselves "

I think you are reading something into my post that I never said or implied

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Not everybody just a generalisation

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Quoted in several news outlets I think the we can safely ignore Mark Carney."

oooh....andys going all "hot take" again... except that it ignores the fact that wasn't making any predictions to the committee this morning... he was reporting to the committee what has already happened!

"The stock exchange hit an all time high yesterday. This is hardly a sign of a weak economy . It is also great news for pensioners and anyone investing in a pension fund ."

and 90% of the FTSE 100 companies all report their figures in $US dollars... which means with the devaluation of the pound it makes the figures look a lot better....

"In addition unemployment is at an all time low and. I would like to know how anyone can be worse off than two years ago. ? Once the long term benefits of Brexit kick in things can only get better ."

how can anyone be worse off then 2 years ago.... i am sorry, you might want to talk to people in the public sector where they are still getting 1% increases when inflation is running at nearly 3%!!!

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"Thanks...

Wait till our recession comes x

I predict a brexit recession in about 9 to 20 months

I hope I'm wrong

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"We're doing just great! High street shops are dropping like flies lately because we're all so rich and can't stop shopping!"

High Street shops are dropping like flies because the trend in shopping habits is shifting to online shopping as consumers reject the high street. On the news today that Marks and Spencer are closing high street branches because of falling footfall in shops and increase in online sales. It's about companies being smart and moving with the times, cutting costs like shop rent rates and selling more online, nothing to do with Brexit.

Cannock

"Mr Carny will do anything to justify his own Brexit position. Has he stated that the Euro zone growth has collapsed since now 5months, that the hedging rates on Italian government bonds has increased since April by 9percent meaning that the big international investment companies are bailing out of

Italy and the Euro?

No he has not, the figure he is quoting is out of the work papers before the referendum.

Mr Carny is trying is best to salvage his reputation, but ask anyone in his ex company what they think of him and the

answer might surprise.

Bring back the old governor he was npt scared of anyone and spoke the truth evem if it hurt."

Mervyn King was a much better governor than Mark Carney. Interestingly Mervyn King also says the Euro currency is doomed to failure. Time will tell. You'd think Carney would have learned his lesson after his Bank of England Brexit forecasts were called 'a Michael Fish moment'. But no he's still coming out with the same old crap now. The end of his contract can't come quick enough!

Cannock

"Hasn’t inflation increased since 2015 ish ? Isn’t this a measure of prices ? Hasn’t wages lagged being inflation ? I’m not sure where the brexit positivity that says carney is wrong has come from ...."

Latest figures from the ONS say that wages are rising above the rate of inflation in the UK.

moston

"Will I am wide awake and I will never get you! You talk about people being worse off because of brexit like it's a tragedy and in other treads you are saying you hope everyone suffers when we leave! Make your mind up, it just seems to be the rambling of someone who has no grip on reality! "

None as blind as those who do not want to see...

My vote was an act of desperation.

We are being slowly bled dry by tory capitalists and the only way I can see to force the country to confront this simple fact is kill or cure shock therapy. I am praying that things will change but I fear they will just continue as is and the Tories will continue to asset strip the UK.

North London

"We're doing just great! High street shops are dropping like flies lately because we're all so rich and can't stop shopping!

High Street shops are dropping like flies because the trend in shopping habits is shifting to online shopping as consumers reject the high street. On the news today that Marks and Spencer are closing high street branches because of falling footfall in shops and increase in online sales. It's about companies being smart and moving with the times, cutting costs like shop rent rates and selling more online, nothing to do with Brexit. "

In that same report about M&S, it was mentioned that part of the reason (combined with the online surge) is the fact that shoppers turn increasingly to budget stores. Why do you think that is?

I know I know: "Nothing to do with brexit". I would say ignorance is bliss but I'm certain that you can see exactly what's happening around us whether you wanna admit it or not, so, in your case, denial is bliss.

Cannock

"Thanks...

Quoted in several news outlets I think the we can safely ignore Mark Carney.

In addition unemployment is at an all time low and. I would like to know how anyone can be worse off than two years ago. ? Once the long term benefits of Brexit kick in things can only get better .

I don’t know if it’s still true but the growth in ftse immediately after brexit was largely in multinationals who’s overseas profits were boosted by the fall in Sterling. Not exactly a good news story.

And increased employment is good for those who have found employment. Doesn’t mean those who were already in employment are better off ..."

The fall in the value of the pound after the vote to Leave didn't just boost the FTSE though it also boosted our export market as UK goods became more competitive in global markets. It also boosted the UK tourism industry as tourists coming here got better exchange rates. The ex governor of the bank of England Mervyn King said that the bank of England had been trying to devalue the pound for at least 2 years before the EU referendum (unsuccessfully). Brexit gave them the vehicle to achieve the devaluation.

North London

"Will I am wide awake and I will never get you! You talk about people being worse off because of brexit like it's a tragedy and in other treads you are saying you hope everyone suffers when we leave! Make your mind up, it just seems to be the rambling of someone who has no grip on reality!

We are being slowly bled dry by tory capitalists and the only way I can see to force the country to confront this simple fact is kill or cure shock therapy. I am praying that things will change but I fear they will just continue as is and the Tories will continue to asset strip the UK."

Personally I can understand where you're coming from. Every bad thing happening in the country, has been blamed on the EU as a way of deflecting from our government screwing us royally. It worked. They managed to fool 51.8%. Let's see who they're gonna blame after brexit, when they *still* fail to address the issues that existed and will still exist until our government starts *actually* caring about our country and ALL people. Had they done that when they should have, people wouldn't have to start hoping that unicorns exist in order to rid them of their problems.

"We're doing just great! High street shops are dropping like flies lately because we're all so rich and can't stop shopping!

High Street shops are dropping like flies because the trend in shopping habits is shifting to online shopping as consumers reject the high street. On the news today that Marks and Spencer are closing high street branches because of falling footfall in shops and increase in online sales. It's about companies being smart and moving with the times, cutting costs like shop rent rates and selling more online, nothing to do with Brexit. "

An excellent post . I work in retail and you have summarised the scenario perfectly .

High Street shops are dropping like flies because the trend in shopping habits is shifting to online shopping as consumers reject the high street. On the news today that Marks and Spencer are closing high street branches because of falling footfall in shops and increase in online sales. It's about companies being smart and moving with the times, cutting costs like shop rent rates and selling more online, nothing to do with Brexit.

In that same report about M&S, it was mentioned that part of the reason (combined with the online surge) is the fact that shoppers turn increasingly to budget stores. Why do you think that is?

I know I know: "Nothing to do with brexit". I would say ignorance is bliss but I'm certain that you can see exactly what's happening around us whether you wanna admit it or not, so, in your case, denial is bliss."

One only has to look at the number of expensive coffee shops to see that there is no shortage of momey . Shoppers seeking value for money has nothing to do with Brexit .

By *alking HeadMan  over a year ago

Bolton

Not enough attention seems to be paid to trends dating back further than the Brexit referendum. Look at the data from 2000 to present and you'll see much more severe highs and lows. Yes the Brexot decision has had negative effects but most of those have been down to the pound. Why did the pound drop so severely? Currency trading. Too many economic decisions are made by governments using shirt term trends. Its reactionary and usually wrong.

"I would have more respect for the brexit people if they would be honest about the economic effects. It's bleeding obvious that when you recast your entire forty five year old trading relationships there is going to be an economic hit. That's what all informed opinion says.

Why do the brexiters never concede that, but argue that long term it will be worth it? "

Yes I concede That !

And yes it is worth it !

As West Germany thought it worth it to struggle a bit when re joining the East !

Dudley

"Will I am wide awake and I will never get you! You talk about people being worse off because of brexit like it's a tragedy and in other treads you are saying you hope everyone suffers when we leave! Make your mind up, it just seems to be the rambling of someone who has no grip on reality!

We are being slowly bled dry by tory capitalists and the only way I can see to force the country to confront this simple fact is kill or cure shock therapy. I am praying that things will change but I fear they will just continue as is and the Tories will continue to asset strip the UK."

You seem to be the one with the blinkered view, I do not recognise the world you talk about, perhaps you are on another planet!!

"(m) adding on to our 1st post. I am British proud Yorkshire man, but here the trick I speak 7 languages fluent thanks to Swiss education hammered in.

"

??

I know I know: "Nothing to do with brexit". I would say ignorance is bliss but I'm certain that you can see exactly what's happening around us whether you wanna admit it or not, so, in your case, denial is bliss.

One only has to look at the number of expensive coffee shops to see that there is no shortage of momey . Shoppers seeking value for money has nothing to do with Brexit . "

You're right but not on every high street.

Some areas you will only find charity shops, bookmakers and ca$h converters.

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

And wouldn't the world be such a better place if everyone was like you and only thought about themselves "

Public sector pay has been falling behind inflation for at least 8 years ffs. You're talking utter tosh

Cambridge

"Mr Carny will do anything to justify his own Brexit position. Has he stated that the Euro zone growth has collapsed since now 5months, that the hedging rates on Italian government bonds has increased since April by 9percent meaning that the big international investment companies are bailing out of

Italy and the Euro?

answer might surprise.

Bring back the old governor he was npt scared of anyone and spoke the truth evem if it hurt.

Mervyn King was a much better governor than Mark Carney. Interestingly Mervyn King also says the Euro currency is doomed to failure. Time will tell. You'd think Carney would have learned his lesson after his Bank of England Brexit forecasts were called 'a Michael Fish moment'. But no he's still coming out with the same old crap now. The end of his contract can't come quick enough! "

In what way was King better than Carney? Can you name 5 non-EU/Brexit/Euro reasons?

It seems strange that Carney was hired to the governor of both the UK and Canada's central banks if he is so crap. Strange he was named central bank governor of the year if he was so crap. Strange he was chosen to be chair of the G20 financial stability board if he is so crap.

Cambridge

And wouldn't the world be such a better place if everyone was like you and only thought about themselves

Public sector pay has been falling behind inflation for at least 8 years ffs. You're talking utter tosh "

I haven't said that it isn't

More bad news on the high St with M&S having a 62% profit loss on the back of closing 100 stores.

Italy and the Euro?

answer might surprise.

Mervyn King was a much better governor than Mark Carney. Interestingly Mervyn King also says the Euro currency is doomed to failure. Time will tell. You'd think Carney would have learned his lesson after his Bank of England Brexit forecasts were called 'a Michael Fish moment'. But no he's still coming out with the same old crap now. The end of his contract can't come quick enough!

In what way was King better than Carney? Can you name 5 non-EU/Brexit/Euro reasons?

It seems strange that Carney was hired to the governor of both the UK and Canada's central banks if he is so crap. Strange he was named central bank governor of the year if he was so crap. Strange he was chosen to be chair of the G20 financial stability board if he is so crap. "

As with many debates it’s playing the man not the ball (to be clear all sides of arguments do this. Look at the trump bashing)

I haven’t found the full transcript yet but the snippets I’ve seen suggest he made a forecast a few years ago based on some assumptions. We’re now 1% behind this. What’s more the forecast about other economies was pessimistic. Adjusting for this puts us 1.5% to 2% behind.

However he’s not said this is definitely down to brexit.

Of course many people select quotes to fit their agenda.

Now there’s a debate to be had about how good the model he used for forecasting is. But that can be said about all models. I would imagine he uses one which has been peer reviewed, but as with all models they can be sensitive to assumptions.

But he has to make forecasts. Everyone in any position of decision making has to be it the BoE to CEOs to the small business owner.

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

Would love to know where we would be now with the great jc in charge with the red revolution gang x

moston

"You seem to be the one with the blinkered view, I do not recognise the world you talk about, perhaps you are on another planet!! "

I say people are worse of because of deliberate ideology driven Tory policies, and that brexit is nothing but a tool remove obstacles to driving that policy on at even a faster pace!

But I guess there are no homeless where you live, that you see your local bobby walking his beat on sunny days and that you and all the children in the area know his name and that when anyone needs emergency hospitalisation there is an ambulance there within 10 15 minutes and on reaching your local hospital they are treated immediately because only the less severe walking wounded have to wait for treatment in your A&E. Bet your roads are also perfectly maintained and your public transport service is so good it is the envy of the world, like your health, education and law enforcement services.

And you think me delusional...

Leeds

"You seem to be the one with the blinkered view, I do not recognise the world you talk about, perhaps you are on another planet!!

I say people are worse of because of deliberate ideology driven Tory policies, and that brexit is nothing but a tool remove obstacles to driving that policy on at even a faster pace!

But I guess there are no homeless where you live, that you see your local bobby walking his beat on sunny days and that you and all the children in the area know his name and that when anyone needs emergency hospitalisation there is an ambulance there within 10 15 minutes and on reaching your local hospital they are treated immediately because only the less severe walking wounded have to wait for treatment in your A&E. Bet your roads are also perfectly maintained and your public transport service is so good it is the envy of the world, like your health, education and law enforcement services.

And you think me delusional... "

And why don't we have any money? Any why is their austerity?

Because the last Labour Government wasted it all, before they were booted out.

Remember the letter that they left?

"I'm sorry but their isn't any money"

No. There never is, when wasteful Labour have been in power.

North West

"

No. There never is, when wasteful Labour have been in power."

The last time that the economy was balanced was under Tony Blair’s Government. In case you don’t remember, Gordon Brown had to deal with the fall out from from global financial crash and that is why there was such an imbalance in 2010. Bailing our banks and QE to keep the country on life support was always going to be expensive.

moston

"And why don't we have any money? Any why is their austerity?

No. There never is, when wasteful Labour have been in power."

Why is there no money? Because the banks and insurance companies stole it all because Tory deregulation removed the laws and oversight that stopped them from stealing our money prior to Blair.

You conveniently forget that at the time you claim Blair (who was a tory lite enterist) was as you claim spending the money the Tories propper were demanding more deregulation so that their mates in the banks and insurance companies could steal even more!

Yep, I remember that letter, it was a very bad attempt at black humour that has been trotted out on many occasions to justify the tories latest attack on the working classes.

Funnily enough although many believe labour to be a party of waste and to be economically pigate, the cold statistical evidence says the opposite and in fact it is the Tories who are the kings of financial mismanagement. And by the way you may want to remember that 8 years into Guidien's 5 year austerity plan to eliminate the deficit it is still going to be at least 5 years more austerity for the working classes before the deficit is eliminated.

But everything is great! Full steam ahead! Damn the torpedoes! I see no icebergs! Its plain sailing to our bright new brexit future! I would not mind so much if a single one of you would even admit that things are getting worse and have been since we adopted Thatchers 'greed is good' monetarism and the Reaganomics economic model. At least then we could have a discussion about what is the best way to improve our country and maybe the world.

Leeds

So why does Liam Byrne say that letter is the one that he will regret forever and was the lowest point in his career?

"So why does Liam Byrne say that letter is the one that he will regret forever and was the lowest point in his career?

"

i suspect because what was a private joke (iirc similar notes are a bit of a tradition).

Leeds

"So why does Liam Byrne say that letter is the one that he will regret forever and was the lowest point in his career?

i suspect because what was a private joke (iirc similar notes are a bit of a tradition). "

Private joke? Written on Treasury headed paper and left for his successor?

i suspect because what was a private joke (iirc similar notes are a bit of a tradition).

Private joke? Written on Treasury headed paper and left for his successor?"

yes. Between him and his successor.....

Leeds

Private joke? Written on Treasury headed paper and left for his successor?yes. Between him and his successor....."

His successor from The Conservative Party??

The letter recalls a similar note left by Tory Reginald Maudling to his Labour successor James Callaghan in 1964: "Good luck, old cock ... Sorry to leave it in such a mess."

Private joke? Written on Treasury headed paper and left for his successor?yes. Between him and his successor.....

His successor from The Conservative Party??"

twas a Lib Dem MP. But yes.

Leeds

Private joke? Written on Treasury headed paper and left for his successor?yes. Between him and his successor.....

His successor from The Conservative Party??twas a Lib Dem MP. But yes. "

Labour had wasted £1.3 trillion and they knew it.

moston

"His successor from The Conservative Party??twas a Lib Dem MP. But yes. "

No Tory...

And the Lib Dems did not even exist then, if we are going to start being picky.

"His successor from The Conservative Party??twas a Lib Dem MP. But yes.

No Tory...

And the Lib Dems did not even exist then, if we are going to start being picky."

i was assume Andy was talking about the most recent letter.... think they existed then !

Leeds

"His successor from The Conservative Party??twas a Lib Dem MP. But yes.

No Tory...

And the Lib Dems did not even exist then, if we are going to start being picky."

???

It was 2010. Of course they existed, and the other poster corrected me. George Osborne was Chancellor, but at the Treasury, Bryne was succeeded by David Laws who was Lib-Dem in the Coalition.

moston

"Labour had wasted £1.3 trillion and they knew it."

Really? On what? and exactly what have the Tories achieved while doubling the national debt? (Other than the BJ giving £50 million to his mates for consulting on a garden bridge that could never have been built?)

Leeds

Since 2010, they have been trying to reduce the toxic debt bill left by Gordon Brown and Ed Balls-Up

North London

"Not enough attention seems to be paid to trends dating back further than the Brexit referendum. Look at the data from 2000 to present and you'll see much more severe highs and lows. Yes the Brexot decision has had negative effects but most of those have been down to the pound. Why did the pound drop so severely? Currency trading. Too many economic decisions are made by governments using shirt term trends. Its reactionary and usually wrong. "

In my posts, I was by no means attributing our current economic situation solely on brexit. We were on downward spiral in the last few years and brexit (or at least the uncrertainty surrounding it) is the final nail on the coffin. There was no plan before the referendum and there still is no plan. How many people actually knew about the detailed ins and outs of the Customs union and the EEA? Average people. The average voter. My educated guess is very few. All we kept hearing was EU. People voted based solely on that. Now we know there's a lot more in it.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that successive governments (both Tory and Labour - but, let's be honest, mostly Tory, especially in the last few years) have completely failed all of us. They failed addressing the issues that affect us all and, all of a sudden, we are presented with this magic wand that will apparently solve everything (and, conveniently, it has nothing to do with changes in the way things were/are handled by our government) simply by leaving a union.

I am a remainer BUT, surely, even the hardest brexiteer should admit that we were lied to (or at least that there was a lot of ambiguity) before the referendum. Maybe brexit will be good (and despite having serious doubts, I pray for all our sakes that it will be) but, for the foreseeable future, we are fucked and at least *some* of the damage will be irreversible, as we are currently seeing.

Bristol East

Conservative chancellors since 2010 have borrowed more money than every other government combined. In the space of 8 years they have added £1.5 trillion of debt and missed every target they set for balancing the books. Can someone explain how that is Labour’s fault?

North West

"Since 2010, they have been trying to reduce the toxic debt bill left by Gordon Brown and Ed Balls-Up"

You have been told that the reason for the issue in 2010 was the financial crash. You have also been told that the last time that the economy was balanced was under a Labour Government.

The very least you could have done would be to have looked into this so that you could avoid making the same incorrect assertions in your subsequent posts. Why wouldn’t you at least try to understand the things that went on in the world in 2008/2009 and why would you expect that any country that was exposed to that event would have fared any differently?

Leeds

"Since 2010, they have been trying to reduce the toxic debt bill left by Gordon Brown and Ed Balls-Up

You have been told that the reason for the issue in 2010 was the financial crash. You have also been told that the last time that the economy was balanced was under a Labour Government.

The very least you could have done would be to have looked into this so that you could avoid making the same incorrect assertions in your subsequent posts. Why wouldn’t you at least try to understand the things that went on in the world in 2008/2009 and why would you expect that any country that was exposed to that event would have fared any differently?"

Labour always ruin the economy. The Conservatives always have to fix it. Every single cycle is the same.

North West

"Since 2010, they have been trying to reduce the toxic debt bill left by Gordon Brown and Ed Balls-Up

The very least you could have done would be to have looked into this so that you could avoid making the same incorrect assertions in your subsequent posts. Why wouldn’t you at least try to understand the things that went on in the world in 2008/2009 and why would you expect that any country that was exposed to that event would have fared any differently?

Labour always ruin the economy. The Conservatives always have to fix it. Every single cycle is the same."

Between 1964 and 1979 the UK was governed for only four years (1970 - 1974) by a Conservative Govt.

The surplus was at its greatest in 1970 and decreased every year under the calamitous Heath (Conservative) Govt.

The UK had Conservative Govts from 1979 to 1997. Aside from three years (1988 - 1991), the economy was perpetually in deficit with a peak deficit in that cycle in 1994 under John Major.

Tony Blair came into office in 1997 and the UK had the Blair/Brown Labour administration up to 2010. The economy was in surplus from 1997 until 2003 and ran a relatively small deficit until 2005 when it was correcting and heading back into surplus when the financial crash hit in 2008 and the feficit hit its peak post war level in 2010.

This information is readily available on the UK Public Spending (.co.uk) website.

Bloody facts getting in the way of empty rhetoric...You bastards.

Why is there no money? Because the banks and insurance companies stole it all because Tory deregulation removed the laws and oversight that stopped them from stealing our money prior to Blair.

You conveniently forget that at the time you claim Blair (who was a tory lite enterist) was as you claim spending the money the Tories propper were demanding more deregulation so that their mates in the banks and insurance companies could steal even more!

Yep, I remember that letter, it was a very bad attempt at black humour that has been trotted out on many occasions to justify the tories latest attack on the working classes.

Funnily enough although many believe labour to be a party of waste and to be economically pigate, the cold statistical evidence says the opposite and in fact it is the Tories who are the kings of financial mismanagement. And by the way you may want to remember that 8 years into Guidien's 5 year austerity plan to eliminate the deficit it is still going to be at least 5 years more austerity for the working classes before the deficit is eliminated.

But everything is great! Full steam ahead! Damn the torpedoes! I see no icebergs! Its plain sailing to our bright new brexit future! I would not mind so much if a single one of you would even admit that things are getting worse and have been since we adopted Thatchers 'greed is good' monetarism and the Reaganomics economic model. At least then we could have a discussion about what is the best way to improve our country and maybe the world."

In 2003 BIZ warned Mr Brown not to stop using the Basle I and II guidelines for bank capital to lending ratio.

The Labour government dismissed the warning and allowed banks to lend 110-120 percent against a property.

The 2008/09 crash with the following saving of banks wouldn't have been necessary if Mr Brown had stuck to the international requirements set out by professionals and not by politicians.

There is a difference between hear say, press and knowledge.

Mr Brown was warned about the risks of such politics and didn't care.

The same warnings were goven tp Labour about RBS and the impossible take over of ABN Amro; but the warnings were dismissed.

All this discussion who is to blame who is bad and who is an idiot does not help Britain.

A new generation of ideas are need and no blame games, as that is no solution to anything

But everything is great! Full steam ahead! Damn the torpedoes! I see no icebergs! Its plain sailing to our bright new brexit future! I would not mind so much if a single one of you would even admit that things are getting worse and have been since we adopted Thatchers 'greed is good' monetarism and the Reaganomics economic model. At least then we could have a discussion about what is the best way to improve our country and maybe the world."

All this from someone who voted for Thatcher, Blair and Brexit!

Bristol East

"

In 2003 BIZ warned Mr Brown not to stop using the Basle I and II guidelines for bank capital to lending ratio.

The Labour government dismissed the warning and allowed banks to lend 110-120 percent against a property.

The 2008/09 crash with the following saving of banks wouldn't have been necessary if Mr Brown had stuck to the international requirements set out by professionals and not by politicians.

There is a difference between hear say, press and knowledge.

Mr Brown was warned about the risks of such politics and didn't care.

The same warnings were goven tp Labour about RBS and the impossible take over of ABN Amro; but the warnings were dismissed.

All this discussion who is to blame who is bad and who is an idiot does not help Britain.

A new generation of ideas are need and no blame games, as that is no solution to anything"

Lol I recall the Tories demanding LESS regulation of the banks.

And the notion that British banks would have been fine amidst a GLOBAL financial crash, were it not for that pesky Mr Brown . . . well, that is just nonsense, given the exposure of British banks to the sub-prime mortgage scandal in the US in particular.

Essex

"Hasn’t inflation increased since 2015 ish ? Isn’t this a measure of prices ? Hasn’t wages lagged being inflation ? I’m not sure where the brexit positivity that says carney is wrong has come from ....

Latest figures from the ONS say that wages are rising above the rate of inflation in the UK. "

For the first time in many years. It'll take a long time to catch up again.....

Essex

Labour always ruin the economy. The Conservatives always have to fix it. Every single cycle is the same."

Absolute nonsense. Check the data, then come back and withdraw your ridiculous assertion please

Leeds

Labour always ruin the economy. The Conservatives always have to fix it. Every single cycle is the same.

Absolute nonsense. Check the data, then come back and withdraw your ridiculous assertion please"

Just look at what the Coalition inherited from Brown and why Labour have lost every general election starting in 2010. They lose mainly because people know that they cannot be trusted on the economy.

Cambridge

Absolute nonsense. Check the data, then come back and withdraw your ridiculous assertion please

Just look at what the Coalition inherited from Brown and why Labour have lost every general election starting in 2010. They lose mainly because people know that they cannot be trusted on the economy."

Why did they win 3 back to back majority governments from 1997 then if they can't be trusted?

If the Tories are the one that everyone trusts with the economy, why have they not won overall majorities in every election since 2010? Why were they in coalition and now are a minority government?

Do you even think about your arguments before you post them?

Leeds

Just look at what the Coalition inherited from Brown and why Labour have lost every general election starting in 2010. They lose mainly because people know that they cannot be trusted on the economy.

Why did they win 3 back to back majority governments from 1997 then if they can't be trusted?

If the Tories are the one that everyone trusts with the economy, why have they not won overall majorities in every election since 2010? Why were they in coalition and now are a minority government?

Do you even think about your arguments before you post them? "

They won under Blair because they were more Conservative party than the Conservative party. That's the point.

Cambridge

They won under Blair because they were more Conservative party than the Conservative party. That's the point."

So Cameron and May both failed to get majority governments in at least one general election because they are not conservative enough? Is that your argument?

Leeds

They won under Blair because they were more Conservative party than the Conservative party. That's the point.

So Cameron and May both failed to get majority governments in at least one general election because they are not conservative enough? Is that your argument?"

Go on, keep posting things that I did not say. That's why you are unemployed.

Cambridge

So Cameron and May both failed to get majority governments in at least one general election because they are not conservative enough? Is that your argument?

Go on, keep posting things that I did not say. That's why you are unemployed."

So why didn't they win minorities in 2010 or 2017? You said they are the most trusted with the economy, and also they majority of the country support their position on Brexit (demonstrably false). So why didn't they win?

PS. Do you need me to throw you a light down into that hole you've dug yourself?

Austerity biting into incomes will mean some not being able to pay for some pleasures such as eating out, holidays and even regular club visits. £900 a year is a lot of money if your income is £10,500 a year.

I wouldn't mind being £900 worse off - those of us living in the EU have lost more than that!

"Austerity biting into incomes will mean some not being able to pay for some pleasures such as eating out, holidays and even regular club visits. £900 a year is a lot of money if your income is £10,500 a year. "

... but the alt-reich love austerity ... they need austerity to give them that warm secure fuzzy glow of angry gammon victim-hood .... it's why they need brexit to continue austerity for the next 25 years

Grantham

Do you even think about your arguments before you post them? "

Didn't the Conservatives have a majority of 12 after the 2015 GE?

Cambridge

Didn't the Conservatives have a majority of 12 after the 2015 GE? "

The question was why haven't they won a majority at EVERY general election since 2010.

Grantham

The question was why haven't they won a majority at EVERY general election since 2010."

Maybe their arguements weren't persuasive enough in 2010 and 2017?

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

The question was why haven't they won a majority at EVERY general election since 2010."

The question should be "if the tories are so bad, why haven't labour wiped the floor with them?"

The question was why haven't they won a majority at EVERY general election since 2010.

The question should be "if the tories are so bad, why haven't labour wiped the floor with them?""

My thoughts as well. Labour cannot even come close to beating the Conservative party.

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

Can't believe no-one has mentioned it already.

"Up to, potentially" Carneys words, not mine.

Translated from Carney speak to plain English that means "guess"

"Can't believe no-one has mentioned it already.

Translated from Carney speak to plain English that means "guess""

Direct attributable quote

“If you adjust for those factors, the economy is about one and three-quarters – one and a half, one and three-quarters, up to 2 per cent - lower than it would have been.”

Suggesting he believes there is a negative impact and the *guess*! Is whether it is as high as 2% or *just* 1.5%

But yes, this is off a forecast made previously. You may call that a guess. But making forecasts and decisions accordingly is his job.

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"Can't believe no-one has mentioned it already.

Translated from Carney speak to plain English that means "guess"

Direct attributable quote

“If you adjust for those factors, the economy is about one and three-quarters – one and a half, one and three-quarters, up to 2 per cent - lower than it would have been.”

Suggesting he believes there is a negative impact and the *guess*! Is whether it is as high as 2% or *just* 1.5%

But yes, this is off a forecast made previously. You may call that a guess. But making forecasts and decisions accordingly is his job.

"

Reminds me of the old joke about the kid who comes home from school and asks his father about the difference between potentially and realistically.

Father says "go and ask your mother and sister if they would fuck George Clooney for a million pounds"

So the kid asks them both and they say "of course we would"

He tells this to his father who replies.

"There you have your answer. Potentially we are millionaires, but realistically we are living with a couple of slappers".

moston

"All this from someone who voted for Thatcher, Blair and Brexit!"

Yep, I voted for Thatcher in 79, because I thought the unions were too powerful and the balance need to be redressed. I voted for Blair in 97 for very similar but reversed reasons. However I quickly realised my mistake in both cases and did not repeat it! As for my vote for brexit I keep explaining it and even pointing out is was an act of desperation seems to go totally over your and our other brexiteers heads. Guess none of you ever make mistakes, or is it that none of you are ever able to admit you make mistakes and therefore are unable to ever change your minds about anything. But don't pay what I say any heed after all I voted for Thatcher in 79 Blair in 97 and for brexit out of desperation.

Dudley

"All this from someone who voted for Thatcher, Blair and Brexit!

Yep, I voted for Thatcher in 79, because I thought the unions were too powerful and the balance need to be redressed. I voted for Blair in 97 for very similar but reversed reasons. However I quickly realised my mistake in both cases and did not repeat it! As for my vote for brexit I keep explaining it and even pointing out is was an act of desperation seems to go totally over your and our other brexiteers heads. Guess none of you ever make mistakes, or is it that none of you are ever able to admit you make mistakes and therefore are unable to ever change your minds about anything. But don't pay what I say any heed after all I voted for Thatcher in 79 Blair in 97 and for brexit out of desperation."

Will it's the hypocrisy of keep bleating on about what a disaster it will be on one hand and hoping it will be a disaster that teaches everyone a lesson on the other that does you no favours!You make yourself sound like you were out fighting for the remain vote when in reality you were voting against it!Make your mind up what you want as you appear to have a very fickle character.

North London

Yep, I voted for Thatcher in 79, because I thought the unions were too powerful and the balance need to be redressed. I voted for Blair in 97 for very similar but reversed reasons. However I quickly realised my mistake in both cases and did not repeat it! As for my vote for brexit I keep explaining it and even pointing out is was an act of desperation seems to go totally over your and our other brexiteers heads. Guess none of you ever make mistakes, or is it that none of you are ever able to admit you make mistakes and therefore are unable to ever change your minds about anything. But don't pay what I say any heed after all I voted for Thatcher in 79 Blair in 97 and for brexit out of desperation.

Will it's the hypocrisy of keep bleating on about what a disaster it will be on one hand and hoping it will be a disaster that teaches everyone a lesson on the other that does you no favours!You make yourself sound like you were out fighting for the remain vote when in reality you were voting against it!Make your mind up what you want as you appear to have a very fickle character. "

He has very publicly said over and over again that he voted leave and explained his reasons why, as well as why he thinks remaining would have been best for the country.

I don't understand why he has to be called a hypocrite relentlessly. It's not as he hid how he voted. If anything, he should be praised for having the guts to come out and admit what he's admitted to. People are allowed to re-think situations, since hindsight is not an option, aren't they? Or should that be the case only when they have re-thought their remain vote?

moston

"Will it's the hypocrisy of keep bleating on about what a disaster it will be on one hand and hoping it will be a disaster that teaches everyone a lesson on the other that does you no favours!You make yourself sound like you were out fighting for the remain vote when in reality you were voting against it!Make your mind up what you want as you appear to have a very fickle character. "

If you go back over my posts since the first proposal of a Scottish independence referendum you will see that I supported remaining in the Union and the EU pointing out what a leave vote would mean and and what the eventual outcome would be in both cases right up to the point it became clear to me that those wrapping themselves in a flag and demanding FREEDOM were beyond reach and that both lots were using the same deflections and falsehoods to blame others, England in the independence for Scotland case and the EU in the brexit case at which point I reluctantly changed my mind and said in both cases that the issue was toxic and it is better for the whole to excise the poison. The idea that you think me keeping saying at what point will you wake up to reality is hypocritical is in my mind proof that no mater how painful this is going to be for me personally and my generation I made the right choice. We have proven ourselves to be totally lacking responsibility, we are squandering our children's and the planets future to assuage and appease our greed and the faster we are forced to face up to our greed, gluttony, sloth and envy the more chance there will be something left for our offspring to rebuild with.

(And yes I could have added lust and pride to the list... And even wrath (remember Jo Cox and all the other racist attacks, including those by our government, that brexit has brought out of the shadows).)

Now if I could only remember what those 7 are called...

Dudley

Will it's the hypocrisy of keep bleating on about what a disaster it will be on one hand and hoping it will be a disaster that teaches everyone a lesson on the other that does you no favours!You make yourself sound like you were out fighting for the remain vote when in reality you were voting against it!Make your mind up what you want as you appear to have a very fickle character.

He has very publicly said over and over again that he voted leave and explained his reasons why, as well as why he thinks remaining would have been best for the country.

I don't understand why he has to be called a hypocrite relentlessly. It's not as he hid how he voted. If anything, he should be praised for having the guts to come out and admit what he's admitted to. People are allowed to re-think situations, since hindsight is not an option, aren't they? Or should that be the case only when they have re-thought their remain vote? "

He has admitted that he voted leave to bring the country to it's knees to teach everyone a lesson, but that really he wanted to be a full member of the Eu! Yet he's always banging on about single moms etc being worse off because of the leave vote which he voted for! A hypocrite and someone with no principles what so ever.

Cannock

I don't understand why he has to be called a hypocrite relentlessly. It's not as he hid how he voted. If anything, he should be praised for having the guts to come out and admit what he's admitted to. People are allowed to re-think situations, since hindsight is not an option, aren't they? Or should that be the case only when they have re-thought their remain vote?

He has admitted that he voted leave to bring the country to it's knees to teach everyone a lesson, but that really he wanted to be a full member of the Eu! Yet he's always banging on about single moms etc being worse off because of the leave vote which he voted for! A hypocrite and someone with no principles what so ever. "

I think Will's hatred of the tories is so strong that he couldn't bring himself to side with them (remember official Tory party policy was to remain) and he hated Cameron and Osborne so much he decided to vote against them. I remember his posts on here during the EU referendum campaign which were full of hate and venom directed at Cameron and Osborne (same as he does now towards Theresa May). Must have been a big surprise to him when the result came in and Leave actually won.

moston

And still you don't get it!

UK the 'special member of the EU with opt outs that were not good enough for it. So now we are leaving and want the UK to become the 'special non member of the EU with opt ins!

Of course the opt ins like the opt outs will be just as we want them or we will stamp and stamp and stop breathing until we are given exactly what we want! And according to the Brexit Secretary the EU are points scoring, and according to the Maybot she will force Ireland and the EU to agree to whatever she wants and according to Moggabi the EU needs us more than we need it so we can hold them to ransom! How bloody pathetic! We are acting like a spoilt little brat and the sooner the EU shows us the door the better!

The sad thing is the EU are acting like a very patient grown up and this has been taken by some as a sign that they are weak although they have not backed down on a single one of their conditions since day 1 of this fiasco, but those who do not want to see this are emboldened because the EU has not pulled down our pants and tanned our arse for us. But I think that shortly many are in for a rude awakening when the European Parliament start voting on what sort of exit we get and how long of a transition period we get.

I still hope I am wrong, but I fear that in 4 or maybe 5 months we will be reminded that we were told when we served our article 50 notice that all negotiations would need to be concluded in 18 months so the EU could then do what it needed and times up. Shortly after that I fear that 1 of the 27 will use its veto and we will be out on 30 Mar 2019 with no deal and no access to the EU market for our financial services. I expect shortly after that the reality of brexit will become clear to the like of centy at which point he and the others like him will claim there was no way for them to have known what would happen.

moston

" I think Will's hatred of the tories is so strong that he couldn't bring himself to side with them (remember official Tory party policy was to remain) and he hated Cameron and Osborne so much he decided to vote against them. I remember his posts on here during the EU referendum campaign which were full of hate and venom directed at Cameron and Osborne (same as he does now towards Theresa May). Must have been a big surprise to him when the result came in and Leave actually won. "

I hate Tory policies and despise what the Tories have become. If they returned to genuine one nation conservatism then I would more than likely start supporting them again. As for brexit I would point out that the official position of all major parties bar UKIP was remain. But hey why leave facts stop you attacking me? After all if you cant attack the message attack the messenger...

Funny how for the most part it is not the contents my posts that is attacked, it is me. I wonder why that is?

North West

"And still you don't get it!

UK the 'special member of the EU with opt outs that were not good enough for it. So now we are leaving and want the UK to become the 'special non member of the EU with opt ins!

Of course the opt ins like the opt outs will be just as we want them or we will stamp and stamp and stop breathing until we are given exactly what we want! And according to the Brexit Secretary the EU are points scoring, and according to the Maybot she will force Ireland and the EU to agree to whatever she wants and according to Moggabi the EU needs us more than we need it so we can hold them to ransom! How bloody pathetic! We are acting like a spoilt little brat and the sooner the EU shows us the door the better!

The sad thing is the EU are acting like a very patient grown up and this has been taken by some as a sign that they are weak although they have not backed down on a single one of their conditions since day 1 of this fiasco, but those who do not want to see this are emboldened because the EU has not pulled down our pants and tanned our arse for us. But I think that shortly many are in for a rude awakening when the European Parliament start voting on what sort of exit we get and how long of a transition period we get.

I still hope I am wrong, but I fear that in 4 or maybe 5 months we will be reminded that we were told when we served our article 50 notice that all negotiations would need to be concluded in 18 months so the EU could then do what it needed and times up. Shortly after that I fear that 1 of the 27 will use its veto and we will be out on 30 Mar 2019 with no deal and no access to the EU market for our financial services. I expect shortly after that the reality of brexit will become clear to the like of centy at which point he and the others like him will claim there was no way for them to have known what would happen."

I think that is a fairly accurate synopsis.

Cambridge

I still hope I am wrong, but I fear that in 4 or maybe 5 months we will be reminded that we were told when we served our article 50 notice that all negotiations would need to be concluded in 18 months so the EU could then do what it needed and times up. Shortly after that I fear that 1 of the 27 will use its veto and we will be out on 30 Mar 2019 with no deal and no access to the EU market for our financial services. I expect shortly after that the reality of brexit will become clear to the like of centy at which point he and the others like him will claim there was no way for them to have known what would happen."

All the brexiters who post on here will long since have gone to live in the world of UNLOS.

By *ertwoCouple  over a year ago

omagh

If Carney gets this right it will be his first lol. But remember we were in the EU when the bankers bust this country under ER rules. We lost a lot more then.He would need to compare that £900 loss to the loss of the other EU countries and tell us the difference between the 2. That is the figure we need.

Cannock

It's not Brexiters who now want 'opt ins', real Brexiters want to Leave and that means leaving the customs union and the single market. It's very clearly Remainers who are acting like spoilt little children who are having tantrums and stamping their feet who want the opt ins, it's remainers who are now fighting tooth and nail to keep us shackled in chains to the single market and the customs union.

Cannock

I still hope I am wrong, but I fear that in 4 or maybe 5 months we will be reminded that we were told when we served our article 50 notice that all negotiations would need to be concluded in 18 months so the EU could then do what it needed and times up. Shortly after that I fear that 1 of the 27 will use its veto and we will be out on 30 Mar 2019 with no deal and no access to the EU market for our financial services. I expect shortly after that the reality of brexit will become clear to the like of centy at which point he and the others like him will claim there was no way for them to have known what would happen.

All the brexiters who post on here will long since have gone to live in the world of UNLOS."

Likewise when the Euro and the EU goes down the tubes which could be before the end of the year if events in Italy are anything to go by I think a lot of Remainers will go UNLOS or will simply stop posting here.

It's not Brexiters who now want 'opt ins', real Brexiters want to Leave and that means leaving the customs union and the single market. It's very clearly Remainers who are acting like spoilt little children who are having tantrums and stamping their feet who want the opt ins, it's remainers who are now fighting tooth and nail to keep us shackled in chains to the single market and the customs union. "

Correct !

I voted leave because I want to leave end of !

Don't need a negotiated settlement

Things will sort themselves later !

Tho I'd prefer an independant England !

» Add a new message to this topic