FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Majority of terror attacks in Europe are in Northern Ireland

Majority of terror attacks in Europe are in Northern Ireland

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *urve Ball OP   Woman  over a year ago

North London

I was *very* surprised to hear (on LBC) yesterday that over half of the terror attacks reported in Europe last year (205), over half were in the UK (107) and 88 of those were in N.I. These numbers include all kinds of terror attacks (isis, right wing, etc). I never knew that there were that many terror attacks in N.I.! Were any of you aware of that and why is the number so high there? Some of the callers provided interesting answers but I didn't get to listen to the whole program, in order to get a better picture as to what the reasons are.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

[Removed by poster at 22/06/18 13:12:11]

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

"I was *very* surprised to hear (on LBC) yesterday that over half of the terror attacks reported in Europe last year (205), over half were in the UK (107) and 88 of those were in N.I. These numbers include all kinds of terror attacks (isis, right wing, etc). I never knew that there were that many terror attacks in N.I.! Were any of you aware of that and why is the number so high there? Some of the callers provided interesting answers but I didn't get to listen to the whole program, in order to get a better picture as to what the reasons are."

When is someone gonna get a bloody grip of these Muslims huh?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The numbers include failed and foiled and include security incidents in NI.

Jihadist attacks while low seem to be most of the fatalities.

There were 5 right Wing extremist incidents. All Uk.

Should we have a total travel ban on the Irish until somebody can tell us what the hell is going on.Is extreme vetting the way forward.Do we want these terrorists crossing over into our country?

Some people will believe anything

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

To the sound of pennies dropping everywhere.

A terrorist on the loose in say, Liege, two dead, and it is wall to wall coverage on every UK news channel.

We tint our Facebook profiles with a flag of Belgium, Sadiq Khan changes the town in the template of his “Londoners standing in solidarity press release”, and we can’t help wondering what’s in his rucksack when a man of Asian ethnicity gets on a Tube at Bethnall Green.

A terrorist on the loose in, say, Belfast, two dead, and, um, er, it might make it into the tailend round-up of the News at Ten.

Islamic extremism plays to the narrative that drives so much of Government policy, legislation and expenditure.

Media takes a giant magnifying glass to each and every incident, the public demands more safety and the Government feels vindicated and emboldened to spend even more money.

All of it predicated on the myth that survival of the Government requires elimination of every risk that a muslim might be a nutter.

The reality that Northern Ireland has more nutters per head of population than any other community in the UK somehow passes us by.

"Some people will believe anything "
i will admit I haven’t gone to source on this one. Which bit is made up ?

They haven't gone away you know.

Bristol East

We appointed a fookin’ terrorist sympathiser as Prime Minister!

"We appointed a fookin’ terrorist sympathiser as Prime Minister!

"

Bastard liberals gave us no fookin choice .The other guy was a terrorist sympathiser also for the bloody IRA.

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

Do we have a travel ban on other countries then bob ? Lol

And there were about 15000 terrorist attacks in Africa, Asia and the Middle East. Bloody Irish get everywhere

Cambridge

"Should we have a total travel ban on the Irish until somebody can tell us what the hell is going on.Is extreme vetting the way forward.Do we want these terrorists crossing over into our country?"

I think its obvious Bob that we need to secure the border.

Do the British always assume that only IRA members in the North of Ireland are terrorists? You know there's loyalist paramilitaries.... British terror groups who commit terrorism in the name of Britain. They literally commit terror attacks in the name of Britain. They're British, usually white and mostly protestant. I just get the feeling when British people hear terror and Northern Ireland they straight away think of the Irish Republicans when alot is British terrorism.

Is this based on anything here ?

From what I can tell, the border comments are tongue in cheek satire at the expense of our brexit friends, not aimed at ireland.

By *xplicitlyricsMan  over a year ago

south dublin

"Should we have a total travel ban on the Irish until somebody can tell us what the hell is going on.Is extreme vetting the way forward.Do we want these terrorists crossing over into our country?"

As the North is majority British the question we should be asking is how do we ban all these Brits? If the British arent causing terrorist attacks theyre grooming children for sex exploitation.

south dublin

"And there were about 15000 terrorist attacks in Africa, Asia and the Middle East. Bloody Irish get everywhere "

You know the numbers not that high considering those places total 5.6 billion people out of 7.2 billion worldwide.

Cambridge

"Do the British always assume that only IRA members in the North of Ireland are terrorists? You know there's loyalist paramilitaries.... British terror groups who commit terrorism in the name of Britain. They literally commit terror attacks in the name of Britain. They're British, usually white and mostly protestant. I just get the feeling when British people hear terror and Northern Ireland they straight away think of the Irish Republicans when alot is British terrorism. "

Don't be silly, white people can't be terrorists

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"I was *very* surprised to hear (on LBC) yesterday that over half of the terror attacks reported in Europe last year (205), over half were in the UK (107) and 88 of those were in N.I. These numbers include all kinds of terror attacks (isis, right wing, etc). I never knew that there were that many terror attacks in N.I.! Were any of you aware of that and why is the number so high there? Some of the callers provided interesting answers but I didn't get to listen to the whole program, in order to get a better picture as to what the reasons are."
Somehow not that surprised proves there is a lot of sensorship in this country

North London

"And there were about 15000 terrorist attacks in Africa, Asia and the Middle East. Bloody Irish get everywhere

You know the numbers not that high considering those places total 5.6 billion people out of 7.2 billion worldwide."

Plus they're for continents other than Europe. I'm sure they probably gave the numbers for the rest of the world too but the program concentrated in Europe and in particular UK and NI because of the numbers.

I looked online today and found an article from a newspaper about it (I don't know if the LBC program was inspired from that article) but it's still surprising for me that over half of the 205 in the whole of Europe is in the UK and 88 of that half are in N.I. As I said those numbers include *all* kind of terror attacks, not just isis etc. You'd have thought it'd have been more widely mentioned/reported. Or are they just trying not to cause panic?

"And there were about 15000 terrorist attacks in Africa, Asia and the Middle East. Bloody Irish get everywhere

You know the numbers not that high considering those places total 5.6 billion people out of 7.2 billion worldwide.

Plus they're for continents other than Europe. I'm sure they probably gave the numbers for the rest of the world too but the program concentrated in Europe and in particular UK and NI because of the numbers.

I looked online today and found an article from a newspaper about it (I don't know if the LBC program was inspired from that article) but it's still surprising for me that over half of the 205 in the whole of Europe is in the UK and 88 of that half are in N.I. As I said those numbers include *all* kind of terror attacks, not just isis etc. You'd have thought it'd have been more widely mentioned/reported. Or are they just trying not to cause panic?"

What is classed as a terror attack these days?

North London

I looked online today and found an article from a newspaper about it (I don't know if the LBC program was inspired from that article) but it's still surprising for me that over half of the 205 in the whole of Europe is in the UK and 88 of that half are in N.I. As I said those numbers include *all* kind of terror attacks, not just isis etc. You'd have thought it'd have been more widely mentioned/reported. Or are they just trying not to cause panic?

What is classed as a terror attack these days?"

I don't know. I didn't write the article. I assume there's certain criteria, those who compile the statistics have, in what to include and what not to. The article did say that "foiled, failed and carried out" were all included in the total numbers though.

You do realise some on here will think you are serious lol

enjoy Tuscany ??

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple  over a year ago

Dudley

"Should we have a total travel ban on the Irish until somebody can tell us what the hell is going on.Is extreme vetting the way forward.Do we want these terrorists crossing over into our country? You do realise some on here will think you are serious lol

enjoy Tuscany ??"

Must be a great holiday, spent most of his time posting on here, what a waste!

I don't know. I didn't write the article. I assume there's certain criteria, those who compile the statistics have, in what to include and what not to. The article did say that "foiled, failed and carried out" were all included in the total numbers though."

Maybe a brick through a window or a nasty phone call gets classed as a terror attack by some forces these days. Or the people who wrote the article had an agenda? Maybe to deflect terrorism away from Islam? Like I said, some people will believe any old shite. And Make a thread about it

"Should we have a total travel ban on the Irish until somebody can tell us what the hell is going on.Is extreme vetting the way forward.Do we want these terrorists crossing over into our country? You do realise some on here will think you are serious lol

enjoy Tuscany ??"

Mr suit anyone with half a brain would realise this is almost word for word what trump said concerning Muslims entering the USA.I just replaced the word Muslim with Irish

Those who are resident in NI are not too worried about these so called terrorist attacks. ( unlike ISIS the NI based para militaries usually gave warnings of attacks ). I detest all forms of violence but comparing NI attacks to ISIS is hardly a like for like comparison.

"To the sound of pennies dropping everywhere.

A terrorist on the loose in say, Liege, two dead, and it is wall to wall coverage on every UK news channel.

We tint our Facebook profiles with a flag of Belgium, Sadiq Khan changes the town in the template of his “Londoners standing in solidarity press release”, and we can’t help wondering what’s in his rucksack when a man of Asian ethnicity gets on a Tube at Bethnall Green.

A terrorist on the loose in, say, Belfast, two dead, and, um, er, it might make it into the tailend round-up of the News at Ten.

Islamic extremism plays to the narrative that drives so much of Government policy, legislation and expenditure.

Media takes a giant magnifying glass to each and every incident, the public demands more safety and the Government feels vindicated and emboldened to spend even more money.

All of it predicated on the myth that survival of the Government requires elimination of every risk that a muslim might be a nutter.

The reality that Northern Ireland has more nutters per head of population than any other community in the UK somehow passes us by."

The nutters to whom you make the reference ( I am not quite sure as to why you use that term ) do not go around killing innocent people at random. For that very reason we should be directing all out efforts at fighting ISIS terrorism. It has made travel more expensive and time consuming

The drugs trade in NI is controlled by para militaries . The statistics may include territory disputes.

"Do the British always assume that only IRA members in the North of Ireland are terrorists? You know there's loyalist paramilitaries.... British terror groups who commit terrorism in the name of Britain. They literally commit terror attacks in the name of Britain. They're British, usually white and mostly protestant. I just get the feeling when British people hear terror and Northern Ireland they straight away think of the Irish Republicans when alot is British terrorism. "
This is hardly surprising as I am unaware of any loyalist para militaries bombing the UK mainland .

I don't know. I didn't write the article. I assume there's certain criteria, those who compile the statistics have, in what to include and what not to. The article did say that "foiled, failed and carried out" were all included in the total numbers though.

Maybe a brick through a window or a nasty phone call gets classed as a terror attack by some forces these days. Or the people who wrote the article had an agenda? Maybe to deflect terrorism away from Islam? Like I said, some people will believe any old shite. And Make a thread about it "

The report was from Europol

The definition is

"The definition of the term terrorist offences is indicated in Article 1 of the Council Framework Decision

of 13 June 2002 on combatting terrorism (2002/475/JHA), which all EU Member States have implemented in their national legislation. This Framework Decision specifies that

terrorist offences are intentional acts which, given their nature or context, may seriously damage a country

or an international organisation when committed with the aim of: seriously intimidating a population, or unduly compelling a government or international organisation to perform or abstain from performing an act, or seriously destabilising

or destroying the fundamental political, constitutional, economic or social structures of a country or an international organisation."

Maybe a brick through a window or a nasty phone call gets classed as a terror attack by some forces these days. Or the people who wrote the article had an agenda? Maybe to deflect terrorism away from Islam? Like I said, some people will believe any old shite. And Make a thread about it

The definition is

The definition of the term terrorist offences is indicated in Article 1 of the Council Framework Decision

of 13 June 2002 on combatting terrorism (2002/475/JHA), which all EU Member States have implemented in their national legislation. This Framework Decision specifies that

terrorist offences are intentional acts which, given their nature or context, may seriously damage a country

or an international organisation when committed with the aim of: seriously intimidating a population, or unduly compelling a government or international organisation to perform or abstain from performing an act, or seriously destabilising

or destroying the fundamental political, constitutional, economic or social structures of a country or an international organisation.

"

And next they will be saying there are 17.4 million terrorists in the UK

The definition is

The definition of the term terrorist offences is indicated in Article 1 of the Council Framework Decision

or destroying the fundamental political, constitutional, economic or social structures of a country or an international organisation.

And next they will be saying there are 17.4 million terrorists in the UK "

*they* being the uk law enforcement agencies ? The ones who record this in the uk ?

There’s plenty of stuff in the report to back a jihadist slant to any argument if that’s the *agenda* you want to follow. Creating strawmans of *next* isnt a great way to counter balance the point that territism isn’t just ISIS.

North London

Maybe a brick through a window or a nasty phone call gets classed as a terror attack by some forces these days. Or the people who wrote the article had an agenda? Maybe to deflect terrorism away from Islam? Like I said, some people will believe any old shite. And Make a thread about it "

How exactly are they deflecting terrorism away from Islam? Islam was included in the report. It was a report about terror *numbers* in general. Or would it have been more to your liking if they ignored *all* other terror and only included islam? After all, islamists are bad terrorists and all other terrorists are good, right?

Some people believe reports based on evidence. Others believe in unicorns and crystal balls. What's your point?

How exactly are they deflecting terrorism away from Islam? Islam was included in the report. It was a report about terror *numbers* in general. Or would it have been more to your liking if they ignored *all* other terror and only included islam? After all, islamists are bad terrorists and all other terrorists are good, right?

Some people believe reports based on evidence. Others believe in unicorns and crystal balls. What's your point?"

My point is it is politically driven bollocks

North London

Some people believe reports based on evidence. Others believe in unicorns and crystal balls. What's your point?

My point is it is politically driven bollocks"

Of course it is, because *you* say it. What do all those people who's job it is to compile that data know? Besides, if it's evidence-based, it's bollocks. If it paints an "optimistic" picture based on wishful thinking, it's the dogs bollocks, right? As per usual

"

I love jeopardy.

What is Brexit ?

"

I love jeopardy.

What is Brexit ? "

An escape from politically driven bollocks

"

I love jeopardy.

What is Brexit ?

An escape from politically driven bollocks "

what is swinging ?

By *thlonedaddyMan  over a year ago

Athlone

Ye it's always the irish. Maybe you brits should read your own terrorist history and see why people hate your nation....

south dublin

Youre basing that on absolutely nothing though. Its a report that shows its methodology and its sources so its easy to pick apart if its wrong. So specifically what is wrong with it?

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"Ye it's always the irish. Maybe you brits should read your own terrorist history and see why people hate your nation...."

Shush now...

We British never terrorise, we disiplin and impose order...

Cambridge

Youre basing that on absolutely nothing though. Its a report that shows its methodology and its sources so its easy to pick apart if its wrong. So specifically what is wrong with it? "

Nothing, he is just pushing his ideological agenda.

Did anybody else actually listen to the LBC broadcast? I did. It didn't say there were 88 terror attacks in Northern Ireland, it said there were 88 "security-related incidents". Articles from various news sources went on to say "Researchers said attacks in EU countries killed 68 victims and left 844 injured, with nearly all the reported fatalities and casualties resulting from jihadist atrocities."

"Did anybody else actually listen to the LBC broadcast? I did. It didn't say there were 88 terror attacks in Northern Ireland, it said there were 88 "security-related incidents". Articles from various news sources went on to say "Researchers said attacks in EU countries killed 68 victims and left 844 injured, with nearly all the reported fatalities and casualties resulting from jihadist atrocities." "

I gave a more balanced view in about the third post. And have followed it up with direct quotes.

I also have the report open in another window as it looks an interesting read based on the headlines.

North London

"Did anybody else actually listen to the LBC broadcast? I did. It didn't say there were 88 terror attacks in Northern Ireland, it said there were 88 "security-related incidents". Articles from various news sources went on to say "Researchers said attacks in EU countries killed 68 victims and left 844 injured, with nearly all the reported fatalities and casualties resulting from jihadist atrocities." "

Really? You did? And that's what it said? Funny how the report then says "207 failed, foiled and completed terrorist attacks in Europe" and not "119 failed, foiled and completed attacks in Europe and 88 security related incidents in NI". What kind of "security incidents" fall under the terrorism umbrella? Cats on trees or leaves on teain tracks?

And, while we're at it, since you're quoting the ES, a bit further up is says: "Nine member states reported a total of 205 terrorist attacks that were either stopped, failed or completed, the EU's law enforcement agency said - up from 142 in 2016. The UK experienced the highest number with 107, which includes 88 security-related incidents in Northern Ireland, the EU terrorism situation and trend report said."

When further down it says: "The number of jihadist terrorist attacks increased from 13 in 2016 to 33 in 2017, while ethno-nationalist and separatist attacks accounted for the largest proportion of the incidents, with 137.

The report said the violent right-wing extremist spectrum is expanding, "partly fuelled by fears of a perceived Islamisation of society and anxiety over migration".

Just for accuracy's sake

"Did anybody else actually listen to the LBC broadcast? I did. It didn't say there were 88 terror attacks in Northern Ireland, it said there were 88 "security-related incidents". Articles from various news sources went on to say "Researchers said attacks in EU countries killed 68 victims and left 844 injured, with nearly all the reported fatalities and casualties resulting from jihadist atrocities."

I gave a more balanced view in about the third post. And have followed it up with direct quotes.

I also have the report open in another window as it looks an interesting read based on the headlines. "

This isn't my view, it's just what was reported

"Did anybody else actually listen to the LBC broadcast? I did. It didn't say there were 88 terror attacks in Northern Ireland, it said there were 88 "security-related incidents". Articles from various news sources went on to say "Researchers said attacks in EU countries killed 68 victims and left 844 injured, with nearly all the reported fatalities and casualties resulting from jihadist atrocities."

Really? You did? And that's what it said? Funny how the report then says "207 failed, foiled and completed terrorist attacks in Europe" and not "119 failed, foiled and completed attacks in Europe and 88 security related incidents in NI". What kind of "security incidents" fall under the terrorism umbrella? Cats on trees or leaves on teain tracks?

And, while we're at it, since you're quoting the ES, a bit further up is says: "Nine member states reported a total of 205 terrorist attacks that were either stopped, failed or completed, the EU's law enforcement agency said - up from 142 in 2016. The UK experienced the highest number with 107, which includes 88 security-related incidents in Northern Ireland, the EU terrorism situation and trend report said."

When further down it says: "The number of jihadist terrorist attacks increased from 13 in 2016 to 33 in 2017, while ethno-nationalist and separatist attacks accounted for the largest proportion of the incidents, with 137.

The report said the violent right-wing extremist spectrum is expanding, "partly fuelled by fears of a perceived Islamisation of society and anxiety over migration".

Just for accuracy's sake "

Good for you

68 is beyond trivial relative to all the other modes of death.

Heart disease 160/100,000 inhabitants

Or about 800,000 in 2014

Road deaths 25000

Terrorism 67!

People on both sides need to get a grip on relatively. Terrorism is all emotion, minimal threat. The clue is in the name. Don't be a victim.

"

Indeed it is.

North London

enjoy Tuscany ??"

Tuscany?! Poor Bob, they got you in your sleep and "dropped you off" there, did they? Did you at least manage to grab your blue passport on the way out? Because without it, especially if you catch some sun while you're down there, you're not getting back in!

I've packed a suitcase just in case they grab me in my sleep too, before they "kindly" drop me off somewhere sunny

North London

"

Tell that to the 68 mothers, fathers, husbands, wives etc who lost their "trivial 68" loved ones

By *andACouple  over a year ago

glasgow

"Ye it's always the irish. Maybe you brits should read your own terrorist history and see why people hate your nation...."

But you're on a British website...

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"But you're on a British website..."

Really?

And there was me thinking it was a swingers site...

Don't worry, I'll get my Union Flags out, drape one over my bed to fuck on, another I'll hang over the bed to salute every time I cum and I'll fit 2 (hanging right way round) as curtains so all can tell when I'm preforming for 'Queen and Country'...

"

I love jeopardy.

What is Brexit ?

An escape from politically driven bollocks what is swinging ?"

Whatever you want it to be

Tell that to the 68 mothers, fathers, husbands, wives etc who lost their "trivial 68" loved ones "

Obviously! I can tell that you are reasonable from your posts here so please continue to use it.

What causes 1000s of families to grieve is literally 10-100 times more important.

Terrorism is a non-issue in the scheme of things.

I'd guess that there are many multiples more young soldiers killed "fighting terror" than are actually killed by "terror"

Athlone

"Ye it's always the irish. Maybe you brits should read your own terrorist history and see why people hate your nation....

But you're on a British website..."

Typical brit attitude. Think yes fuckin own everything. Lol

"Ye it's always the irish. Maybe you brits should read your own terrorist history and see why people hate your nation....

Typical brit attitude. Think yes fuckin own everything. Lol"

Typical anti-brit Athlone attitude. The past is the past. Move on.

glasgow

Typical brit attitude. Think yes fuckin own everything. Lol"

We don't think we own everything. It's a fact that you are on a British website though. You claim to hate this nation but you're on a British website looking for sex.

We don't think we own everything. It's a fact that you are on a British website though. You claim to hate this nation but you're on a British website looking for sex."

Yeah but he only wants pure red haired milky skinned thoroughbred Irish cailíns so it balances out

Don't hate the player, just the platform

glasgow

We don't think we own everything. It's a fact that you are on a British website though. You claim to hate this nation but you're on a British website looking for sex.

Yeah but he only wants pure red haired milky skinned thoroughbred Irish cailíns so it balances out

Don't hate the player, just the platform "

Don't know what a cailin is but I'll agree with that lol

I'd be more worried about the muggings & stabbings in the UK cities tbh.

By *heislanderMan  over a year ago

cheshunt

The lowlife that carried out the Manchester bombing had recently returned from Libya, people on here criticise Trump for banning people from certain countries entering the US, maybe if this country had done the same some of those beautiful kids would not have lost their lives. The people who carry out these acts are scum. It doesn’t matter where they’re from, what religion they believe in. I’m Irish I’ve lived in London 20 yrs, both countries should be proud of how they’ve worked together put their differences aside. I’d like to think we’ve moved on from pointing the finger at each other.

Athlone

Don't hate the player, just the platform

Don't know what a cailin is but I'll agree with that lol "

Fuckin know it alls. How is this a British website.... a fuckin scoth should know better and know your history......

Athlone

Typical anti-brit Athlone

attitude. The past is the past. Move on. "

The oast can't be the past. Just tried to explain whyour so many people n nations around the world hate the brits and how they terrorised millions. U just expect people to forget. Listen to Damien Dempsey song colony man

By *heislanderMan  over a year ago

cheshunt

attitude. The past is the past. Move on.

The oast can't be the past. Just tried to explain whyour so many people n nations around the world hate the brits and how they terrorised millions. U just expect people to forget. Listen to Damien Dempsey song colony man"

“Let today be the day you stop being haunted by the ghost of yesterday. Holding a grudge & harboring anger/resentment is poison to the soul. Get even with people...but not those who have hurt us, forget them, instead get even with those who have helped us.”

attitude. The past is the past. Move on.

The oast can't be the past. Just tried to explain whyour so many people n nations around the world hate the brits and how they terrorised millions. U just expect people to forget. Listen to Damien Dempsey song colony man"

Tell me what good a sense of vengeance does?...especially for what happened generations before you.

It's hokey nationalist bullshit for small minds.

"The lowlife that carried out the Manchester bombing had recently returned from Libya, people on here criticise Trump for banning people from certain countries entering the US, maybe if this country had done the same some of those beautiful kids would not have lost their lives. The people who carry out these acts are scum. It doesn’t matter where they’re from, what religion they believe in. I’m Irish I’ve lived in London 20 yrs, both countries should be proud of how they’ve worked together put their differences aside. I’d like to think we’ve moved on from pointing the finger at each other. "

How do you filter properly.

By that seriously flawed logic you are just some paddy terrorist who should have been jailed for attempting to go to London.

Bristol East

"The lowlife that carried out the Manchester bombing had recently returned from Libya, people on here criticise Trump for banning people from certain countries entering the US, maybe if this country had done the same some of those beautiful kids would not have lost their lives. The people who carry out these acts are scum. It doesn’t matter where they’re from, what religion they believe in. I’m Irish I’ve lived in London 20 yrs, both countries should be proud of how they’ve worked together put their differences aside. I’d like to think we’ve moved on from pointing the finger at each other. "

Perhaps if we had not bombed Libya, the extremists would not have moved into the vacuum and the country's borders would be secure.

Another foreign policy disaster.

I recall reading somewhere that the bomber actually benefitted from British assistance during the rebellion against the regime.

We did the same in Syria - gave assistance to groups waging jihad in the belief they were "moderate".

North London

Tell that to the 68 mothers, fathers, husbands, wives etc who lost their "trivial 68" loved ones

Obviously! I can tell that you are reasonable from your posts here so please continue to use it.

What causes 1000s of families to grieve is literally 10-100 times more important.

Terrorism is a non-issue in the scheme of things.

"

Numbers don't lie. I can't deny that. In the grand scheme of things, 68 people next the numbers you quoted or even next to the 7 billion in the world is less than a drop in the ocean. *However* the difference (and let's stick with Europe, as per the report details), all those other thousands of people made choices that (possibly) wholly or partly contributed to their death. There's risks in health choices, in getting in a car, in enlisting as a soldier, and they're usually being taken by the individual themselves. In the case of terror victims, someone with a twisted version of ideology goes out and *intentionally* takes lives of innocent, unsuspecting people who were just going about what we should all be able to do without having to expect some hateful zealot to come and end it all in a split second. *Because of that*, I, personally, think that, even 1 person dead, is too much. If we were viewing all these people (in all categories of deaths mentioned) as numbers though, then yes, 68 is low compared to the rest. But still...

Btw, and to address some of the "oh yeah, it's always the Irish. Look at you Brits" comments, I never implied (or, even, meant to) that the Irish are terrorists. The report only gives numbers and locations, not names/nationalities and types of incidents. I was, simply, *genuinely* surprised to hear (and then read) that over half of the terror attacks/incidents in Europe happened in the UK and the vast majority of them in NI. We don't hear/read about it normally, hence why it came as a surprise. That's all.

I get the distinction, but there are hidden low probability risks everywhere....the stage collapsing at a concert, a plane falling from the sky, salmonella in your chocolate, hiv from a swinging partner even with confom use. No one gets out alive anyway.

I wonder how the people of invaded countries feel? I can't help thinking that the west has invited terrorism to its own door...not that you or I had anything to do with it, but there's a lot to be learned about the problems of intervention for our governments. Peace is the only answer and step 1 is minding your own business. Violence begets violence...always...there's always a thirst for revenge that takes generations to die. We've see this kind of low level bitterness from my fellow countryman above.

68 out of 504 million in Europe is a tiny risk no matter what you look at it.

North London

"I get the distinction, but there are hidden low probability risks everywhere....the stage collapsing at a concert, a plane falling from the sky, salmonella in your chocolate, hiv from a swinging partner even with confom use. No one gets out alive anyway.

I wonder how the people of invaded countries feel? I can't help thinking that the west has invited terrorism to its own door...not that you or I had anything to do with it, but there's a lot to be learned about the problems of intervention for our governments. Peace is the only answer and step 1 is minding your own business. Violence begets violence...always...there's always a thirst for revenge that takes generations to die. We've see this kind of low level bitterness from my fellow countryman above.

68 out of 504 million in Europe is a tiny risk no matter what you look at it.

"

Yes but all the things you mention in your first paragraph are deaths caused by accidents. Some possibly foreseeable, some not. A terrorist causes death intentionally.

Anyway, I agree with your 2nd paragraph.

The reason why I cannot make (or accept) the distinction, I guess, is because I can't stand fanatics at the best of times (from football to politics). But when that fanaticism crosses the thin line to extremism and causes deaths that would have possibly not happened otherwise, it really depresses me, especially when you consider that, because of the changing climate in politics, it'll only get worse.

Sad thing is we live in a world of animals, easily led animals.

I wonder what the murder rate is vs. the murder via terrorism rate?

North London

Does it matter? They're all intentional anyway.

Plus, you cannot really compare them, a. because they're both murder regardless and b. because murder by terrorism is just a sub-category amongst all the other types/ways/reasons for murder, which I assume are too many to count.

But you have to ask why we put such emphasis on the terrorism cases....it's more emotive that's why!

The terrorists win.

"But you have to ask why we put such emphasis on the terrorism cases....it's more emotive that's why!

The terrorists win. "

and less frequent. Ergo news.

Good old Murder is so last season.

North London

The terrorist attacks usually aim (and succeed) for multiple casualties. If there's a serial killer or a road/air/boat accident with multiple casualties, it's reported too. In the case of terrorist attacks, there's the additional possibility that the perpetrator was part of a bigger cell and that more attacks could be imminent.

» Add a new message to this topic