FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Driving in the EU

Driving in the EU

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *LCC OP   Couple  over a year ago

Cambridge

Could be much more difficult after we leave, unless we reach an agreement with the EU.

Brexit: Watchdog warns of need to issue driving permits - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44881058

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

We didn't need a permit before we joined so why need one now .another case for making things difficult for us Brits who dared to vote leave

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

Sounds like a great idea.

They make the Brits have international driving permits and Britain does the same to EU drivers. Including truckers.

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

Just goes to prove the EU got far too big for its boots .

Cambridge

"Sounds like a great idea.

They make the Brits have international driving permits and Britain does the same to EU drivers. Including truckers."

How is making things more difficult for millions of people a great idea?

Costa Blanca Spain...

They make the Brits have international driving permits and Britain does the same to EU drivers. Including truckers.

How is making things more difficult for millions of people a great idea? "

You seem to take great delight in any negative news, so ask yourself.

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

"We didn't need a permit before we joined so why need one now .another case for making things difficult for us Brits who dared to vote leave "

Yes you did.

-Matt

Cambridge

You seem to take great delight in any negative news, so ask yourself."

Making things worse is a bad idea. Isn't that pretty obvious?

Barbados

"Just goes to prove the EU got far too big for its boots . "

See, this is the brain-dead blinkered idiotic thinking that I just really don't understand.

Why do you say it is the EU getting 'too big for it's boots'?

Within the EU there was a common standard a policy for recognising and accepting driving licenses. We have chosen to leave the EU, and hence that arrangement will now no longer apply to/for us. This is obvious. This would have been known with half a second of thought. This will not be the first thing like this. This will not be the last thing like this.

This is not the EU being mean and nasty, not matter how much you want to think it is. This is *us* leaving the arrangements we had previously used. We now need new arrangements. Now, whether that involves some kind of reciprocal arrangement of every EU country now accepting UK driving licenses as-is, or whether that now means every year I want to drive in the EU I need to pay for an IDP, or something else, I don't know. But it is something that needs negotiating. It is something that needs arranging. It is something that needs documenting, legislating, etc. These things all take time and money.

These things are all additional red tape and hassle and cost that is being imposed upon us by the 52% of the population that want us to leave the EU.

-Matt

Costa Blanca Spain...

Making things worse is a bad idea. Isn't that pretty obvious? "

Just pointing out that if the EU wants to play hard ball then so can Britain.

They seem to have started the problem and you started the thread.

Cambridge

"

How is it the EU playing "hard ball"? It's the UK that is walking away from the current system.

Barbados

"

The. EU. Did. Not. Start. The. Problem.

For fuck sake, what is it with people? Take some fucking responsibility. Seriously.

You can't go fucking off from an arrangement and then say "They were started it". No. We started it. We are leaving the EU.

You won. Take responsibility for it.

-Matt

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I very much doubt it will come to this but if we need driving permits to drive in the EU then so be it.

What we do need to do is introduce a charge for foreign registered goods vehicles with a GVW over 3.5t to use our roads.

Its easy! Just remember to drive on the wrong side of the road

Costa Blanca Spain...

For fuck sake, what is it with people? Take some fucking responsibility. Seriously.

You can't go fucking off from an arrangement and then say "They were started it". No. We started it. We are leaving the EU.

-Matt"

I don't hear Britain making unnecessary threats to EU drivers. Maybe I missed it.

I don't hear Britain making unnecessary threats about banning flights. Maybe I missed it.

I don't hear Britain making unnecessary threats to slap 60% tariffs on farm products. Maybe I fucking well missed that as well.

The EU are behaving like the bunch of spoiled pillocks that they really are.

They can't bear that someone has the cheek and audacity to leave their little club and seem hell bent on punishing anyone who tries.

Just like the kid in the playground who takes his bat and ball home when he isn't winning.

You just don't get it. The majority of Brits (and a damn site more in other countries) are sick to the back teeth of paying a fortune just to be members of a poxy little club with a shrinking market while tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of of useless self serving pen pushers ride the fucking gravy train. And I'm not just talking about Juncker's brandy cabinet.

The biggest problem the EU faces is contagion and they know damn well that if they are not seen to punish Britain then others will follow.

Bottom line is that punishment and deterrent is what it's all about and Britain should just tell them to fuck off.

Let the EU tell Britain how much it will pay for access to the 5th largest economy in the world because Britain can hurt them just as much as they can hurt us.

The EU in its present form is unfit for purpose and the sooner the whole rotten edifice comes crashing down the better.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"We didn't need a permit before we joined so why need one now .another case for making things difficult for us Brits who dared to vote leave "

Yes we did, but it was and is called an 'International Driving Permit'. To be clear if you want to drive legally in nearly every country outside the EU on a UK driving licence you need one today (you get it in a IDP issuing Post Office). That you consider us having to return to using an IDP (as agreed in international law) when we leave the EU as some sort of punishment being foisted on us by the EU shows just how bigoted your views are.

Costa Blanca Spain...

"We didn't need a permit before we joined so why need one now .another case for making things difficult for us Brits who dared to vote leave

Yes we did, but it was and is called an 'International Driving Permit'. To be clear if you want to drive legally in nearly every country outside the EU on a UK driving licence you need one today (you get it in a IDP issuing Post Office). That you consider us having to return to using an IDP (as agreed in international law) when we leave the EU as some sort of punishment being foisted on us by the EU shows just how bigoted your views are."

Well just about every car rental company in the USA would disagree with that one.

Barbados

"We didn't need a permit before we joined so why need one now .another case for making things difficult for us Brits who dared to vote leave

Yes we did, but it was and is called an 'International Driving Permit'. To be clear if you want to drive legally in nearly every country outside the EU on a UK driving licence you need one today (you get it in a IDP issuing Post Office). That you consider us having to return to using an IDP (as agreed in international law) when we leave the EU as some sort of punishment being foisted on us by the EU shows just how bigoted your views are.

Well just about every car rental company in the USA would disagree with that one."

“Foreign Nationals Driving in the United States

People who drive in the U.S. must have a valid driver's license. Some states require an International Driving Permit (IDP) from foreign nationals, in addition to a valid license from your own country. Contact the motor vehicle department of each state you will drive in for its requirements. “

From USA.gov

-Matt

moston

"Well just about every car rental company in the USA would disagree with that one."

True. But regardless of US propaganda to the contrary they are not NEARLY EVERY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD. The are in fact just 1 of 195.

Costa Blanca Spain...

Well just about every car rental company in the USA would disagree with that one.

People who drive in the U.S. must have a valid driver's license. Some states require an International Driving Permit (IDP) from foreign nationals, in addition to a valid license from your own country. Contact the motor vehicle department of each state you will drive in for its requirements. “

From USA.gov

-Matt"

In over 30 years, over a dozen cars, and driven in 15 states I've never been asked for one.

From Hertz, Avis, Dollar, Budget, and good few others who's names I've forgotten.

Costa Blanca Spain...

"Well just about every car rental company in the USA would disagree with that one.

True. But regardless of US propaganda to the contrary they are not NEARLY EVERY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD. The are in fact just 1 of 195."

If the Americans can do then why can't the EU? Other than to punish.

Barbados

From USA.gov

-Matt

In over 30 years, over a dozen cars, and driven in 15 states I've never been asked for one.

From Hertz, Avis, Dollar, Budget, and good few others who's names I've forgotten."

And?

-Matt

Barbados

-Matt

I don't hear Britain making unnecessary threats to EU drivers. Maybe I missed it.

I don't hear Britain making unnecessary threats about banning flights. Maybe I missed it.

I don't hear Britain making unnecessary threats to slap 60% tariffs on farm products. Maybe I fucking well missed that as well.

They can't bear that someone has the cheek and audacity to leave their little club and seem hell bent on punishing anyone who tries.

Just like the kid in the playground who takes his bat and ball home when he isn't winning.

You just don't get it. The majority of Brits (and a damn site more in other countries) are sick to the back teeth of paying a fortune just to be members of a poxy little club with a shrinking market while tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of of useless self serving pen pushers ride the fucking gravy train. And I'm not just talking about Juncker's brandy cabinet.

The biggest problem the EU faces is contagion and they know damn well that if they are not seen to punish Britain then others will follow.

Bottom line is that punishment and deterrent is what it's all about and Britain should just tell them to fuck off.

Let the EU tell Britain how much it will pay for access to the 5th largest economy in the world because Britain can hurt them just as much as they can hurt us.

The EU in its present form is unfit for purpose and the sooner the whole rotten edifice comes crashing down the better.

"

OK, I refuse to believe you are this stupid. Sorry, but what you are saying is just ludicrous.

The EU are not making "un-necessary threats" all they are doing is sticking to what they have always said, and what any sane, logical, person would conclude and that is if we leave an arrangement that we had, then an alternative arrangement will be necessary.

They are not 'punishing' us. We have decided to leave. How is this so difficult for you to understand? I'm really quite worried if you in any way are typical of what leavers think.

We can tell them to fuck off. We have told them to fuck off. And we are fucking off. And as such that means that many of the arrangements we had before (this driving one being quite minor in the grand scheme of things) are just no longer valid. The bigger ones will be things like air travel, which if we don't sort our shit out is just going to come to a grinding halt. That is nothing to do with the EU being 'nasty' to us, that is just that we have legal arrangements that are no longer valid, and that need amending and re-negotiating.

-Matt

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"I very much doubt it will come to this but if we need driving permits to drive in the EU then so be it.

What we do need to do is introduce a charge for foreign registered goods vehicles with a GVW over 3.5t to use our roads.

"

Of course what the OP absolutely refuses to recognise and acknowledge is that if the EU chose to go down this route then it will be reciprocal and EU citizens will be charged and required to have an international driving permit if they want to drive on UK roads.

What ever the EU dream up in negotiations we can throw right back at them.

Speaking selfishly as someone who voted leave I don't see having to have driving permits as an inherently bad thing. Every cloud has a silver lining. As the OP and the other pessimistic, remain doom mongering negative ninnys can only see the bad in everything like the drop in the value of the pound, leavers look to the positives, such as lower value pound boosting the FTSE 100 and boosting our export market. Official figures from the ONS show UK exports have increased by 10% in the last year thanks in part to a lower value pound from the vote to leave. Back to the OP where they appear to be focusing on negatives for driving, for me a positive of having international driving permits as a reciprocal arrangement would be further reduced immigration from the EU, fewer EU drivers on our already over congested roads and I would welcome it. Immigration from the EU has already reduced since the vote to leave but I think driving permits would reduce numbers further and I and other leave voters would welcome more reduced numbers. Again speaking selfishly I couldn't give a flying fuck about driving permits in the EU. I go abroad for 1 or 2 weeks a year and while there I use taxi's or public transport. It would have absolutely zero effect on my life and individuals vote according to their own circumstances. As it was mainly the poor who voted to leave many leave voters can't even afford to holiday abroad anyway. If the OP thinks this tactic will change people's minds then the OP will be sorely disappointed.

The EU "Hey, because the actions you've taken, there will be consequences"

Brexiteers: "STOP BULLYING US".

Fucking clownshoes bullshit.

Barbados

"Well just about every car rental company in the USA would disagree with that one.

True. But regardless of US propaganda to the contrary they are not NEARLY EVERY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD. The are in fact just 1 of 195.

If the Americans can do then why can't the EU? Other than to punish."

Look, I just don't know what to say to you about this.

The main usa.gov site says you need an IDP for some states. The DMV site (US equiv of the DVLA) says you need an IDP for some states. The AA's website here says you need an IDP to drive in the US in some states.

I had an IDP when I was in NY for a year. I never bothered to renew it when I went back on shorter trips. But that does not mean it is not a legal requirement there. I've never been asked to show the high viz jacket, breathalysers, etc in France either. But they are still a legal requirement for driving over there.

What will the EU do? I don't know. Maybe they will treat us like every other country and we will require an IDP. Just like we did driving around Europe in those golden days of pre-EU that the older leavers are so fondly remembering with their rose-tinted glasses. And the younger leavers are pretending they remember.

Maybe the EU will be extra nice and come to some arrangement that is more preferential than other countries and we won't need an IDP and the British driving license (will that be blue too?) will be recognised on it's own, because god-dammit RULE BRITANNIA! But to be honest, when we have Farage standing there in the middle of the EU assembly and insulting everyone, why would they?

-Matt

By *haverMan  over a year ago

bracknell

People say we had more strength in the Eu and greater protection so please explain this to me, vw scandal low emissions they have to compensate the US buyers, what do British buyers get, a big fat 0 BMW engine fires , all cars recalled in saudi Arabia and other countrys what does Britain get, a denial of any such problem so please explain why that is remainers

Cannock

The main usa.gov site says you need an IDP for some states. The DMV site (US equiv of the DVLA) says you need an IDP for some states. The AA's website here says you need an IDP to drive in the US in some states.

I had an IDP when I was in NY for a year. I never bothered to renew it when I went back on shorter trips. But that does not mean it is not a legal requirement there. I've never been asked to show the high viz jacket, breathalysers, etc in France either. But they are still a legal requirement for driving over there.

What will the EU do? I don't know. Maybe they will treat us like every other country and we will require an IDP. Just like we did driving around Europe in those golden days of pre-EU that the older leavers are so fondly remembering with their rose-tinted glasses. And the younger leavers are pretending they remember.

Maybe the EU will be extra nice and come to some arrangement that is more preferential than other countries and we won't need an IDP and the British driving license (will that be blue too?) will be recognised on it's own, because god-dammit RULE BRITANNIA! But to be honest, when we have Farage standing there in the middle of the EU assembly and insulting everyone, why would they?

-Matt"

I think the key word in what you say about driving in America is "some" states. It's fair and reasonable to assume then an IDP isn't required in 'some' states.

Barbados

-Matt

I think the key word in what you say about driving in America is "some" states. It's fair and reasonable to assume then an IDP isn't required in 'some' states. "

Yes. And?

-Matt

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

The ironic side this is that a lot of people from countries outside the Eu are probably laughing because they have had to go through this to get a driving license to drive in the UK.....

Now the shoe is on the other foot... brits be screaming

"The ironic side this is that a lot of people from countries outside the Eu are probably laughing because they have had to go through this to get a driving license to drive in the UK.....

Now the shoe is on the other foot... brits be screaming "

Look, the Brits didn't lose an empire to be treated like this....

Newcastle and Gateshead

-Matt

I think the key word in what you say about driving in America is "some" states. It's fair and reasonable to assume then an IDP isn't required in 'some' states. "

For example.... Florida is a state where people DO need an IDP to go with the national licence from their countries

Cannock

"The ironic side this is that a lot of people from countries outside the Eu are probably laughing because they have had to go through this to get a driving license to drive in the UK.....

No _abio, remainers be screaming as is very clearly evident on this thread. As a leave voter I really couldn't give 2 shits about this, in fact I would welcome it for the reasons I gave in my earlier post.

Cannock

-Matt

I think the key word in what you say about driving in America is "some" states. It's fair and reasonable to assume then an IDP isn't required in 'some' states.

For example.... Florida is a state where people DO need an IDP to go with the national licence from their countries "

And?

Barbados

From what I remember of the IDP I had, it was a grey card-thing that was folded in half a bit like a very boring birthday card.

Maybe the new UK drivers licenses (because of course we will HAVE to get ones that don't have the EU flag on them) could also be big unwieldy, fragile card thing and when you open it up, it could play Rule Britannia? That way if we ever get pulled over in another country, the police office will KNOW we mean business and we used to have an empire, and don't fuck with us... or... or.. or... we'll send Boris Johnson to them with some jam!

-Matt

Barbados

-Matt

For example.... Florida is a state where people DO need an IDP to go with the national licence from their countries

And? "

You do know the point of the IDP, right? The fact it is a standardised document such that a police officer can understand it easier than your own national driving license which may well be in a different language, character set, etc as their own.

So you can understand then why the US likely doesn't bother too much about actually enforcing the IDP on UK residents... maybe you can think of something that the US and the UK have in common that we don't have in common with the rest of Europe?

-Matt

"

Maybe the new UK drivers licenses (because of course we will HAVE to get ones that don't have the EU flag on them) could also be big unwieldy, fragile card thing and when you open it up, it could play Rule Britannia? That way if we ever get pulled over in another country, the police office will KNOW we mean business and we used to have an empire, and don't fuck with us... or... or.. or... we'll send Boris Johnson to them with some jam!

-Matt"

Now you're being ridiculous.

Take some deep breaths and try to calm down.

"

-Matt

Now you're being ridiculous.

Take some deep breaths and try to calm down."

Yeah, come on now.

Nobody is cruel enough to voluntarily inflict BoJo on people.

By *rench letterCouple  over a year ago

Chorley,

Everything is going go tits up with what Brexiters voted for. Everything was going smoothly.

It's goi g to be messed up for lots of businesses now. Going to make more red tape for all of them as they have got enough work to do.

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

Wrong, we did

Essex

"I very much doubt it will come to this but if we need driving permits to drive in the EU then so be it.

Of course what the OP absolutely refuses to recognise and acknowledge is that if the EU chose to go down this route then it will be reciprocal and EU citizens will be charged and required to have an international driving permit if they want to drive on UK roads.

What ever the EU dream up in negotiations we can throw right back at them.

Speaking selfishly as someone who voted leave I don't see having to have driving permits as an inherently bad thing. Every cloud has a silver lining. As the OP and the other pessimistic, remain doom mongering negative ninnys can only see the bad in everything like the drop in the value of the pound, leavers look to the positives, such as lower value pound boosting the FTSE 100 and boosting our export market. Official figures from the ONS show UK exports have increased by 10% in the last year thanks in part to a lower value pound from the vote to leave. Back to the OP where they appear to be focusing on negatives for driving, for me a positive of having international driving permits as a reciprocal arrangement would be further reduced immigration from the EU, fewer EU drivers on our already over congested roads and I would welcome it. Immigration from the EU has already reduced since the vote to leave but I think driving permits would reduce numbers further and I and other leave voters would welcome more reduced numbers. Again speaking selfishly I couldn't give a flying fuck about driving permits in the EU. I go abroad for 1 or 2 weeks a year and while there I use taxi's or public transport. It would have absolutely zero effect on my life and individuals vote according to their own circumstances. As it was mainly the poor who voted to leave many leave voters can't even afford to holiday abroad anyway. If the OP thinks this tactic will change people's minds then the OP will be sorely disappointed. "

It won't affect me, so I dont give a shit.....brilliant. It will affect me and I do give a shit

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

The UK signed up to what, in effect, was a common driving licence across the EEA.

My licence has two flags on it - the EU and the UK.

The UK voted to leave that arrangement.

If nothing replaces it, the default is the 1969 Vienna Convention and the international permit.

Did those who voted leave understand what you were voting to leave? Did no-one tell you?

If anyone is entitled to be annoyed, it is the 48 being lead by people wearing blindfolds.

"The UK signed up to what, in effect, was a common driving licence across the EEA.

My licence has two flags on it - the EU and the UK.

The UK voted to leave that arrangement.

If nothing replaces it, the default is the 1969 Vienna Convention and the international permit.

Did those who voted leave understand what you were voting to leave? Did no-one tell you?

If anyone is entitled to be annoyed, it is the 48 being lead by people wearing blindfolds."

It is only going to have an effect if the EU & the UK can't come to an agreement.

If you are really affected by this I suggest you start an online petition.

Bristol East

If you want to know what other “snags” we voted for, go to the EC website and look up the Brexit preparedness notices.

These have been issued to the EU27. Dozens and dozens and dozens of them, describing every EU arrangement that will cease to apply to the UK on March 30 next year.

Every piece of legislation and regulation that lapses when the UK leaves and what those countries will have change when dealing with the UK from that moment on. UK becomes a “third country”, i.e the same as 160 odd others.

It also outlines the barriers to the UK that will appear by default in the event UK leaves with no alternative to EU membership in place.

It’s a lotta lotta reading, as Cilla might’ve said.

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

-Matt"

Now now, language Timothy!

Tbh, big fuss about nothing.

I've got an IDP. Takes 5 minutes, costs a fiver, lasts a year. It's an easy process.

-Matt

I've got an IDP. Takes 5 minutes, costs a fiver, lasts a year. It's an easy process."

Is it easier than not having to do that?

Doubtful.

-Matt

"

If it's that bad why are you living in an EU country?

Essex

"If you want to know what other “snags” we voted for, go to the EC website and look up the Brexit preparedness notices.

These have been issued to the EU27. Dozens and dozens and dozens of them, describing every EU arrangement that will cease to apply to the UK on March 30 next year.

Every piece of legislation and regulation that lapses when the UK leaves and what those countries will have change when dealing with the UK from that moment on. UK becomes a “third country”, i.e the same as 160 odd others.

It also outlines the barriers to the UK that will appear by default in the event UK leaves with no alternative to EU membership in place.

It’s a lotta lotta reading, as Cilla might’ve said."

Obviously, according to all our rabid brexiteers, it's all either a) fake news or b) the EU being unreasonable bastards. I'm leaving the golf club and it's damned unreasonable that you wont let me play golf or use the clubhouse.

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

"If you want to know what other “snags” we voted for, go to the EC website and look up the Brexit preparedness notices.

Obviously, according to all our rabid brexiteers, it's all either a) fake news or b) the EU being unreasonable bastards. I'm leaving the golf club and it's damned unreasonable that you wont let me play golf or use the clubhouse. "

. Rabid brexxiteers WOW is this a kids site ?lol

By *unandbuckCouple  over a year ago

Sheffield

"

For example.... Florida is a state where people DO need an IDP to go with the national licence from their countries "

Florida law does NOT require uk licence holders with a licence written in English to hold an IDP. Google is your friend.

Bottom line of this is, as with lots of other aspects, is that the route can be as easy or as hard as the players want it to be.

A deal with Japan is possible.

A deal with the uk is hard.

Usa don't need IDPs

The EU 'will' .

Essex

Obviously, according to all our rabid brexiteers, it's all either a) fake news or b) the EU being unreasonable bastards. I'm leaving the golf club and it's damned unreasonable that you wont let me play golf or use the clubhouse. . Rabid brexxiteers WOW is this a kids site ?lol"

What nomenclature would you prefer to describe the hard right Brexiteers then.? I can think of plenty of words to describe them, most of which are unrepeatable

Cannock

Obviously, according to all our rabid brexiteers, it's all either a) fake news or b) the EU being unreasonable bastards. I'm leaving the golf club and it's damned unreasonable that you wont let me play golf or use the clubhouse. . Rabid brexxiteers WOW is this a kids site ?lol

What nomenclature would you prefer to describe the hard right Brexiteers then.? I can think of plenty of words to describe them, most of which are unrepeatable"

By the same token I can think of lots of words to describe rabid remainers, most of which are unrepeatable.

Cannock

"

Florida law does NOT require uk licence holders with a licence written in English to hold an IDP. Google is your friend.

Bottom line of this is, as with lots of other aspects, is that the route can be as easy or as hard as the players want it to be.

A deal with Japan is possible.

A deal with the uk is hard.

Usa don't need IDPs

The EU 'will' ."

Priceless, it appears Fabio doesn't even know the law in his own country of origin.

Cannock

-Matt

I've got an IDP. Takes 5 minutes, costs a fiver, lasts a year. It's an easy process.

Doubtful."

Is this your way of telling everyone how lazy you are again?

Cannock

It’s a lotta lotta reading, as Cilla might’ve said."

Every piece of EU legislation and regulation automatically becomes UK law on Brexit day. That is what the EU withdrawal bill was all about. The EU withdrawal bill passed by majority in the house of commons and has now been given royal ascent. It is now UK law. If the UK and the EU reach a deal then the UK will not remove any EU legislation or regulation until after the transition/implementation period. If there is no deal then the UK will be free to change EU legislation or remove EU regulations from the UK statute book as it sees fit immediately.

Isn’t the issue divergence of standards ? If the Uk change the driving test to being able to drive forwards and backwards 100m in a straight line, then the EU would rather we didn’t drive there unless we can show we are safe.

And if I’m honest, I’d like the UK to be equally protective of its standards.

It’s another form of controlling our borders. May is being slated for her chequers position. Yet the idea of being allowed to drive in the uk on another country’s driving standards is fine....

-Matt

Doubtful.

Is this your way of telling everyone how lazy you are again? "

Sure.

Or rather it is a loss if you're going from a situation where you have something by default to one where you have to spend resources in order to return to the way things were.

This is not a good thing.

And casting objections to it as people being lazy is just craven dishonest.

Not that I'm surprised.

Derby

-Matt

Doubtful."

You've probably spent more than 5 minutes coming up with that response, and if you're a siver supporter you spend £30 a year on this site.

Derby

Obviously, according to all our rabid brexiteers, it's all either a) fake news or b) the EU being unreasonable bastards. I'm leaving the golf club and it's damned unreasonable that you wont let me play golf or use the clubhouse. "

It's also damned unreasonable that you want me to pay 40 Billion to leave...

Bristol East

Every piece of EU legislation and regulation automatically becomes UK law on Brexit day. That is what the EU withdrawal bill was all about. The EU withdrawal bill passed by majority in the house of commons and has now been given royal ascent. It is now UK law. If the UK and the EU reach a deal then the UK will not remove any EU legislation or regulation until after the transition/implementation period. If there is no deal then the UK will be free to change EU legislation or remove EU regulations from the UK statute book as it sees fit immediately. "

On March 30, the UK becomes a third country.

Yes, everything before matches. Still doesn’t make us a EU member. We are a third country, on the outside.

EU has countries queuing up to get in. We are getting out. Any activity rooted in EU legislation ceases to be covered by EU legislation. We are a third country, i.e. on the outside, and the common rules no longer apply to us.

-Matt

Doubtful.

You've probably spent more than 5 minutes coming up with that response, and if you're a siver supporter you spend £30 a year on this site."

Hardly five minutes, but that still doesn't answer the question.

"Could be much more difficult after we leave, unless we reach an agreement with the EU.

Brexit: Watchdog warns of need to issue driving permits - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44881058"

Just more scare mongering from the BBC. To add I insult to injury we also have to pay them a ridiculous licence fee .

Bristol East

"Isn’t the issue divergence of standards ? If the Uk change the driving test to being able to drive forwards and backwards 100m in a straight line, then the EU would rather we didn’t drive there unless we can show we are safe.

And if I’m honest, I’d like the UK to be equally protective of its standards.

It’s another form of controlling our borders. May is being slated for her chequers position. Yet the idea of being allowed to drive in the uk on another country’s driving standards is fine...."

Borders? That’s what you voted for, wasn’t it?

UK controls its border, EU27 controls theirs.

You now have the freedom to do whatever you want.

The EU has nothing to do with our borders come March 30.

So what’s the plan?

"Could be much more difficult after we leave, unless we reach an agreement with the EU.

Brexit: Watchdog warns of need to issue driving permits - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44881058 Just more scare mongering from the BBC. To add I insult to injury we also have to pay them a ridiculous licence fee . "

"La-la-la-la I can't hear you"

Isn't a good look on small children, let alone grown adults.

-Matt

OK, I refuse to believe you are this stupid. Sorry, but what you are saying is just ludicrous.

The EU are not making "un-necessary threats" all they are doing is sticking to what they have always said, and what any sane, logical, person would conclude and that is if we leave an arrangement that we had, then an alternative arrangement will be necessary.

They are not 'punishing' us. We have decided to leave. How is this so difficult for you to understand? I'm really quite worried if you in any way are typical of what leavers think.

We can tell them to fuck off. We have told them to fuck off. And we are fucking off. And as such that means that many of the arrangements we had before (this driving one being quite minor in the grand scheme of things) are just no longer valid. The bigger ones will be things like air travel, which if we don't sort our shit out is just going to come to a grinding halt. That is nothing to do with the EU being 'nasty' to us, that is just that we have legal arrangements that are no longer valid, and that need amending and re-negotiating.

-Matt"

. I am not quite sure why you need to use offensive language in a post .

We will be simply trading with the EU as before but under different terms and conditions .

The EU will simply recognise driving licences and vice versa.

The air travel scenario is simply a red herring. Shares in all major airlines are performing well. The concept of flights being stopped is laughable.

Bristol East

Every piece of EU legislation and regulation automatically becomes UK law on Brexit day. That is what the EU withdrawal bill was all about. The EU withdrawal bill passed by majority in the house of commons and has now been given royal ascent. It is now UK law. If the UK and the EU reach a deal then the UK will not remove any EU legislation or regulation until after the transition/implementation period. If there is no deal then the UK will be free to change EU legislation or remove EU regulations from the UK statute book as it sees fit immediately. "

Let’s take one example.

The Journal of the EU.

Every public procurement contract over £150,000 must be advertised in it.

All EU members comply.

Any company anywhere in the EU can bid for that contract and must not be treated any differently from a tender in the home country.

The EU Journal continues on March 30 with the EU27.

None of the UK procurement is included and none of the UK supply chain can bid for EU contracts, because we are now a third country.

We have left the EU.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

The air travel scenario is simply a red herring. Shares in all major airlines are performing well. The concept of flights being stopped is laughable. "

the air travel scenario is certainly not a red herring!!!

try buying an airline ticket for travel after 1st april 2019... and look for the special asterix and wording on the tickets......

Bristol East

I find it sad that, more than two years after people voted to leave, they still do not know what they voted leave.

Everyything seems to come as a surprise. And it must be the fault of the EU. Er, no, the EU did nothing - you voted to leave.

So what's the plan to replace it?

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"

The air travel scenario is simply a red herring. Shares in all major airlines are performing well. The concept of flights being stopped is laughable.

the air travel scenario is certainly not a red herring!!!

try buying an airline ticket for travel after 1st april 2019... and look for the special asterix and wording on the tickets...... "

In air travel there will be very little difference exept there will be more flight delays due to airspace priority being given to EU airlines,good news for Ryanair sadly

Bristol East

"S

We will be simply trading with the EU as before but under different terms and conditions .

The air travel scenario is simply a red herring. Shares in all major airlines are performing well. The concept of flights being stopped is laughable. "

No. We become a third country. Look it up.

In the absence of any agreement, we default to the basic arrangements between blocs and nations.

WTO etc.

The idea that everything continues as before . . . sorry, that was a vote to remain.

The vote to leave was just that - to leave.

Anyone who thinks you can leave the EU and carry as normal . . . sorry, you are deluded

Sheffield

"S

In the absence of any agreement, we default to the basic arrangements between blocs and nations.

WTO etc.

The idea that everything continues as before . . . sorry, that was a vote to remain.

Anyone who thinks you can leave the EU and carry as normal . . . sorry, you are deluded"

Since when has the WTO controlled airtravel?

When you've been in an airport, did you notice any planes landing from non-EU countries? I did. I wonder how on earth such a thing could happen....

There a many aspects of the debate that are sensible and worthwhile, and others that are a waste of time.

"People say we had more strength in the Eu and greater protection so please explain this to me, vw scandal low emissions they have to compensate the US buyers, what do British buyers get, a big fat 0 BMW engine fires , all cars recalled in saudi Arabia and other countrys what does Britain get, a denial of any such problem so please explain why that is remainers "

I got compensated for my VW.

"People say we had more strength in the Eu and greater protection so please explain this to me, vw scandal low emissions they have to compensate the US buyers, what do British buyers get, a big fat 0 BMW engine fires , all cars recalled in saudi Arabia and other countrys what does Britain get, a denial of any such problem so please explain why that is remainers

I got compensated for my VW."

I got a VW mug and keyring.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

The EU is driving me mad lol,I think it has driven most of you mad allready

Essex

Obviously, according to all our rabid brexiteers, it's all either a) fake news or b) the EU being unreasonable bastards. I'm leaving the golf club and it's damned unreasonable that you wont let me play golf or use the clubhouse.

It's also damned unreasonable that you want me to pay 40 Billion to leave..."

It's damned unreasonable to sign a contract and then try and renege upon the financial commitments therein. we signed up to this budget and are therefore committed to paying until the end of the budget cycle

Essex

Brexit: Watchdog warns of need to issue driving permits - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44881058 Just more scare mongering from the BBC. To add I insult to injury we also have to pay them a ridiculous licence fee . "

The BBC are simply reporting what's been said. That's not scaremongering, it's journalism

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

When you've been in an airport, did you notice any planes landing from non-EU countries? I did. I wonder how on earth such a thing could happen....

There a many aspects of the debate that are sensible and worthwhile, and others that are a waste of time."

air travel isn't governed by the WTO..... but it is governed by the EU-US openskies agreement... which again the UK will not be a part of...

for example, the US have offered the UK a deal.... but the deal means less landing spots for aircraft coming from the uk unless more slots are made for american airlines coming into heathrow.....

Cannock

"

There a many aspects of the debate that are sensible and worthwhile, and others that are a waste of time.

air travel isn't governed by the WTO..... but it is governed by the EU-US openskies agreement... which again the UK will not be a part of...

for example, the US have offered the UK a deal.... but the deal means less landing spots for aircraft coming from the uk unless more slots are made for american airlines coming into heathrow.....

"

Now that Heathrow is being expanded we will be be able to offer the Americans more slots.

Cannock

Brexit: Watchdog warns of need to issue driving permits - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44881058 Just more scare mongering from the BBC. To add I insult to injury we also have to pay them a ridiculous licence fee .

"La-la-la-la I can't hear you"

Isn't a good look on small children, let alone grown adults."

And "Wah, Wah, Wah, Wah, I can't have my own way" isn't a good look on children, let alone grown adults either, but is how remainers are behaving.

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

Yes we did. I've still got mine from 1984 ish.

To drive legally in Europe before we joined the EEC, and up until the middle 80s, you needed an international driving permit and an international insurance certificate (often called A Green Card) at the minimum. In quite a few countries you also needed those document translated into the local language. In a few you also had to have a bail bond certificate or run the risk of not being aloud to leave the country if you were involved in an accident.

Widnes

They make the Brits have international driving permits and Britain does the same to EU drivers. Including truckers."

If there is know agreement otherwise before we leave that's exactly what will happen.

Widnes

"

It's not a case of EU playing hard ball or not. It is simply the case that, unless a new arrangement is made before we leave, a UK driving licence will not be valid for driving in the EU and an EU licence will not be valid hete. That's just a fact of international law.

Yes you did.

-Matt"

and if you took your car over didn't you used to have a carnet as well?

"Just goes to prove the EU got far too big for its boots .

See, this is the brain-dead blinkered idiotic thinking that I just really don't understand.

Why do you say it is the EU getting 'too big for it's boots'?

Within the EU there was a common standard a policy for recognising and accepting driving licenses. We have chosen to leave the EU, and hence that arrangement will now no longer apply to/for us. This is obvious. This would have been known with half a second of thought. This will not be the first thing like this. This will not be the last thing like this.

This is not the EU being mean and nasty, not matter how much you want to think it is. This is *us* leaving the arrangements we had previously used. We now need new arrangements. Now, whether that involves some kind of reciprocal arrangement of every EU country now accepting UK driving licenses as-is, or whether that now means every year I want to drive in the EU I need to pay for an IDP, or something else, I don't know. But it is something that needs negotiating. It is something that needs arranging. It is something that needs documenting, legislating, etc. These things all take time and money.

These things are all additional red tape and hassle and cost that is being imposed upon us by the 52% of the population that want us to leave the EU.

-Matt"

EU Boogieman = Patriarchy Boogiemen??

Identity Politics

My ideological group vs. yours

The worst of tribe behaviour

A sad state for humanity in the age of should-be progress and a technological utopia freeing people from toil and suffering.

#fuckthelotofyou

Bristol East

"

There a many aspects of the debate that are sensible and worthwhile, and others that are a waste of time."

OK, let's start with the European Single Aviation Market.

Since 1993, this has been a free market between EU member states for commercial air travel. Since 1997, it has allowed airlines in the EU to compete equally for domestic routes within a member state, too.

The European Common Aviation Area, which also covers the EEA countries (though they get little say in setting of the regulations).

The European Aviation Safety Agency. Ever heard of that one?

The bilateral agreements between the EU and third countries that extend the free market principles to those routes. E.g. the EU-US Open Skies Agreement, which covers flights between the US, the UK and other countries.

When you voted to leave, did you not know you were voting to leave all those arrangements, too?

The UK needs to put in place alternative arrangements with the EU to continue to access the single aviation market as a third country, and it needs to negotiate its own bilateral arrangements with other third countries, since the existing EU agreements will no apply to the UK from March 30 next year. We will be a third country.

In principle, that should not be difficult. There is a trade-off, however, between the new-found policy freedom of the UK and access to the common aviation market.

The No Deal scenario so loved by the British nationalist includes no deal on access to the European Single Aviation Market, the European Aviation Safety Agency etc.

Good luck trying to find a carrier who will fly you to a EU27 country with out any arrangement in place between the UK and the EU.

"I find it sad that, more than two years after people voted to leave, they still do not know what they voted leave.

Everyything seems to come as a surprise. And it must be the fault of the EU. Er, no, the EU did nothing - you voted to leave.

So what's the plan to replace it?

"

A form of democracy that isn't based in crushing ignorance.

Sheffield

"

(Shortened)

In principle, that should not be difficult. There is a trade-off, however, between the new-found policy freedom of the UK and access to the common aviation market.

The No Deal scenario so loved by the British nationalist includes no deal on access to the European Single Aviation Market, the European Aviation Safety Agency etc.

Good luck trying to find a carrier who will fly you to a EU27 country with out any arrangement in place between the UK and the EU.

"

Answered your own point. Yes, an arrangement needs to be made.

As with many current stories 'if' we don't do what is necessary, things won't run smoothly. Therefore get on and do those things.

Anybody can list thousands of crap outcomes 'if' somebody doesn't do what they need to do.

Bristol East

"

As with many current stories 'if' we don't do what is necessary, things won't run smoothly. Therefore get on and do those things.

Anybody can list thousands of crap outcomes 'if' somebody doesn't do what they need to do."

Therein lies the nub.

For it to be business as usual on March 30, the UK needs to have new legal frameworks in place for airlines to fly to other countries.

These are bilaterals, i.e they require the agreement of third countries.

For the EU27 destinations, that means the UK needs an agreement with the EU.

The UK Government and the UK Parliament, however, seems utterly paralysed when it comes to negotiating anything with the EU.

The longer this impasse continues, the more likely No Deal becomes. In aviation terms, No Deal means there is no legal framework on March 30 next year for airlines operating between the UK and the rest of the world.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

-Matt"

But how did it start? We started off living in a communal flat, after her nasty break up, splitting the bills, helping each other with out with bartering milk butter and shower gel. Then suddenly found ourselves joined at the hip to a mega-bitch, hell bent on deciding which socks we were allowed to wear on which days, who we had to let into our bedroom, and which friends we could have! When we decided to leave, the creature was revealed as a woman scorned of the highest order! And it looks like we'll end up on Jeremy kyle! They'll be all sorts of talk of "what we owe!" Carefully not mentioning how much it cost us to save her from her last mental boyfriend. (Hitler).

Widnes

It's also damned unreasonable that you want me to pay 40 Billion to leave..."

But not unreasonable to expect you to pay your bar bill.

moston

"People say we had more strength in the Eu and greater protection so please explain this to me, vw scandal low emissions they have to compensate the US buyers, what do British buyers get, a big fat 0 BMW engine fires , all cars recalled in saudi Arabia and other countrys what does Britain get, a denial of any such problem so please explain why that is remainers "

Those scandals ans how they were dealt with had nothing to do with the EU. They like most things were matters for national governments and courts to deal with. Maybe if our politicians worked for us rather than having their snouts in the troughs of big business like the motor industry we would get better protection. But don't worry in the not too distant future those Tory politicians and the big businesses they represent and protect in parliament will no longer be able to blame the EU every time they bend us over and ram a massive dildo up our proverbial arses.

"

"

And here lies the problem in the example above as to what happens when you vote for something you know next to nothing about.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

totally agree some people just can't remember what it was like before.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

-Matt

"

couldn't have put it better.

moston

"

Let the EU tell Britain how much it will pay for access to the 5th largest economy in the world because Britain can hurt them just as much as they can hurt us."

By which measurement?

If we use GDP per capita (the amount each one of us produces) we rank 22.

Bristol East

"We didn't need a permit before we joined so why need one now .another case for making things difficult for us Brits who dared to vote leave totally agree some people just can't remember what it was like before. "

Back in 1973 or whenever, the relationship was between countries under the Vienna Convention. The rules that give you things like those ugly GB stickers that had to be labelled to your car. All of that has been swept away and replaced by a single set of rules in 28 countries.

What we are leaving in 2019 is not what we joined in 1973.

We are leaving the EU, so it’s back to the Vienna Convention.

That was our choice as a country. People said they wanted out of EU regulation.

Well, you are getting what you voted for. Blaming the EU suggests you were actually rather clueless about what you were voting for.

Sheffield

"We didn't need a permit before we joined so why need one now .another case for making things difficult for us Brits who dared to vote leave totally agree some people just can't remember what it was like before.

Back in 1973 or whenever, the relationship was between countries under the Vienna Convention. The rules that give you things like those ugly GB stickers that had to be labelled to your car. All of that has been swept away and replaced by a single set of rules in 28 countries.

Well, you are getting what you voted for. Blaming the EU suggests you were actually rather clueless about what you were voting for.

"

Most people want to keep a mutually friendly co-operative relationship. That can be done and cover matters such as an FTA, international driving and air travel. It doesn't necessitate an EU governement, EU courts, a monster membership payment etc etc.

Bristol East

"We didn't need a permit before we joined so why need one now .another case for making things difficult for us Brits who dared to vote leave totally agree some people just can't remember what it was like before.

Most people want to keep a mutually friendly co-operative relationship. That can be done and cover matters such as an FTA, international driving and air travel. It doesn't necessitate an EU governement, EU courts, a monster membership payment etc etc."

Indeed. But that choice was not on the ballot paper. It was all or nothing. We chose nothing.

Most people want to keep a mutually friendly co-operative relationship. That can be done and cover matters such as an FTA, international driving and air travel. It doesn't necessitate an EU governement, EU courts, a monster membership payment etc etc."

Indeed it doesn't , if all we wanted to start with was to leave the EU then negotiate a FTA then fine BUT the UK government is trying to get a lot more than that, because we really need a lot more than just that.

Our situation cannot be compared to any other Country in the world as no one else has tried to leave a Union of such where everythings so intermingled with a trading bloc as we are.

Sheffield

Most people want to keep a mutually friendly co-operative relationship. That can be done and cover matters such as an FTA, international driving and air travel. It doesn't necessitate an EU governement, EU courts, a monster membership payment etc etc.

Indeed it doesn't , if all we wanted to start with was to leave the EU then negotiate a FTA then fine BUT the UK government is trying to get a lot more than that, because we really need a lot more than just that.

Our situation cannot be compared to any other Country in the world as no one else has tried to leave a Union of such where everythings so intermingled with a trading bloc as we are."

What is the biggy show-stopper we are trying to get beyond an FTA?

Cambridge

Our situation cannot be compared to any other Country in the world as no one else has tried to leave a Union of such where everythings so intermingled with a trading bloc as we are.

What is the biggy show-stopper we are trying to get beyond an FTA?"

A frictionless border with NI to name just 1.

"

But it isn't a single set of rules.

In France you have to carry breathalysers in the vehicle and children under 10 must sit in the back. Hands free mobile phone use is not allowed.

In Spain you have to keep your hi viz jacket in the vehicle (not the boot) because you have to put it on before exiting the vehicle if immobilised on the side of a carriageway.

In Germany you are required to carry a first aid kit compliant with German standards DIN 13157 or 13164.

In Greece you have to carry a fire extinguisher.

In Spain & Italy, if you wear glasses/contact lenses, you have to have a spare pair in the vehicle.

Widnes

"S

WTO etc.

Anyone who thinks you can leave the EU and carry as normal . . . sorry, you are deluded

Planes from outside the EU can land because those countries have an agreement with the EU to land. If we leave without an agreement, with no deal, then that means what it says - no deal, no agreement.

This is why the whole idea of walking away with no deal is just not practical. We maybe able to walk away without a customs union or free trade deal but there is absolutely no way we can walk away with no deal or agreement at all. There will be a deal, the only question is how deep and special that deal is.

But it isn't a single set of rules.

In France you have to carry breathalysers in the vehicle and children under 10 must sit in the back. Hands free mobile phone use is not allowed.

In Spain you have to keep your hi viz jacket in the vehicle (not the boot) because you have to put it on before exiting the vehicle if immobilised on the side of a carriageway.

In Germany you are required to carry a first aid kit compliant with German standards DIN 13157 or 13164.

In Greece you have to carry a fire extinguisher.

In Spain & Italy, if you wear glasses/contact lenses, you have to have a spare pair in the vehicle.

"

you missed they drive on the right

There is a set of standards which have been agreed accepted by the members of EU on what it means to have a license which allows Eu citizens to be able to cross borders without having to get another license.

Each member state has its own driving laws.

I’m struggling to see why anyone thinks any of this is a bad idea or why it’s not a negative step to now need to to get a new license / permit when before you didn’t need to, other than it gives us back control to improve or reduce the minimum ability required to use our roads. But if you want this, I can’t see why you can see any other route through this the international license or equivalent.

Widnes

It can be done but that involves making an agreement with the EU. It also involves having something in place to mediate in the event of any disputes relating to the agreement. It's been over two years now since people voted to leave and, so far, I see little sign of any.

What is the biggy show-stopper we are trying to get beyond an FTA?"

Honestly, if you really need to ask this question I'm not even going to try and explain it to you because if you don't know this by now, nevermind before voting then it explains a lot.

Google is your friend.

Sheffield

"

Honestly, if you really need to ask this question I'm not even going to try and explain it to you because if you don't know this by now, nevermind before voting then it explains a lot.

Google is your friend."

Well, CLCC just helped by mentioning the NI border, but a FTA solves that anyway. I not interested in googles opinion, I'm intereste din what you think the biggy we are asking for, beyond an FTA.

Essex

"

Now that Heathrow is being expanded we will be be able to offer the Americans more slots. "

I dont think the US will agree to jam tomorrow. They want slots now, not when (if) the third runway finally gets built

Essex

"

Google is your friend.

Well, CLCC just helped by mentioning the NI border, but a FTA solves that anyway. I not interested in googles opinion, I'm intereste din what you think the biggy we are asking for, beyond an FTA."

An FTA in and of itself does not solve the NI border

Well, in order to appease the swivel eyed brexit voters, it looks like there will be a hard border between the six counties and Ireland.

So, I guess enjoy canary wharf while you can...

Sheffield

"

Google is your friend.

Well, CLCC just helped by mentioning the NI border, but a FTA solves that anyway. I not interested in googles opinion, I'm intereste din what you think the biggy we are asking for, beyond an FTA.

An FTA in and of itself does not solve the NI border"

Well, the backstops are there to kick in if there is no FTA.

"

Google is your friend.

An FTA in and of itself does not solve the NI border

Well, the backstops are there to kick in if there is no FTA."

The self same backstops that May has just rejected?

Good plan.

Sheffield

"

So, I guess enjoy canary wharf while you can..."

Scummiest post I've seen in a long time. Should be ashamed.

"

Scummiest post I've seen in a long time. Should be ashamed."

I'd say that the level of apathy being shown to northern Ireland and how badly brexit will impact the GFA is something that's actually scummy, but please, continue to clutch your pearls.

It only shows how shallow your feigned outrage is.

Sheffield

"

I'd say that the level of apathy being shown to northern Ireland and how badly brexit will impact the GFA is something that's actually scummy, but please, continue to clutch your pearls.

It only shows how shallow your feigned outrage is."

I think your post of impending attrocities tells us more than enough about your outlook.

Talk to yourself now, I have no time for people like you.

"

It only shows how shallow your feigned outrage is.

I think your post of impending attrocities tells us more than enough about your outlook.

Talk to yourself now, I have no time for people like you."

People who can draw the line from cause to effect?

Cambridge

"

Google is your friend.

Well, CLCC just helped by mentioning the NI border, but a FTA solves that anyway. I not interested in googles opinion, I'm intereste din what you think the biggy we are asking for, beyond an FTA."

No, it doesn't. USA, Mexico and Canada have a FTA, and yet there is a physical border.

Sheffield

"

Google is your friend.

No, it doesn't. USA, Mexico and Canada have a FTA, and yet there is a physical border."

That's true. But wouldn't you say the accepted fact between the eu and uk teams is that the failure to produce a workable fta will result in border checks. Hence an fta removes the need?

Bristol East

"

That's true. But wouldn't you say the accepted fact between the eu and uk teams is that the failure to produce a workable fta will result in border checks. Hence an fta removes the need?"

So we're keeping the free movement of people, too?

I thought that was the Brexiteers' big gripe - stopping the freeflow of people into the UK.

Cambridge

"

Google is your friend.

No, it doesn't. USA, Mexico and Canada have a FTA, and yet there is a physical border.

That's true. But wouldn't you say the accepted fact between the eu and uk teams is that the failure to produce a workable fta will result in border checks. Hence an fta removes the need?"

No, because FTA is not synonymous with frictionless border, single markets and customs unions are.

Cannock

[Removed by poster at 20/07/18 16:57:29]

Cannock

"Well, in order to appease the swivel eyed brexit voters, it looks like there will be a hard border between the six counties and Ireland.

Leo Varadker let slip yesterday that he had been assured by EU bigwigs that the EU would not impose or enforce any hard border on the island of Ireland, even in the event of no deal. Seeing as the UK government are saying the same, the whole border issue has now been exposed as a ruse to frustrate the Brexit process.

Cannock

"

Anybody can list thousands of crap outcomes 'if' somebody doesn't do what they need to do.

Therein lies the nub.

For it to be business as usual on March 30, the UK needs to have new legal frameworks in place for airlines to fly to other countries.

These are bilaterals, i.e they require the agreement of third countries.

For the EU27 destinations, that means the UK needs an agreement with the EU.

The UK Government and the UK Parliament, however, seems utterly paralysed when it comes to negotiating anything with the EU.

The longer this impasse continues, the more likely No Deal becomes. In aviation terms, No Deal means there is no legal framework on March 30 next year for airlines operating between the UK and the rest of the world."

Honestly you appear to know very little about what you're ranting about. Airspace rules are not governed by the EU, they are governed by the International Air Services Transit agreement signed by 133 nations, some of those 133 are EU nations. Any nation who is signed up to this agreement cannot block British planes. Very little the EU can do about it as it's a global international agreement.

Bristol East

I’m glad you’ve cleared that up and assured everyone we have nothing to worry about when the UK exits the European single aviation market etc.

"Well, in order to appease the swivel eyed brexit voters, it looks like there will be a hard border between the six counties and Ireland.

Leo Varadker let slip yesterday that he had been assured by EU bigwigs that the EU would not impose or enforce any hard border on the island of Ireland, even in the event of no deal. Seeing as the UK government are saying the same, the whole border issue has now been exposed as a ruse to frustrate the Brexit process. "

That's certainly *an* interpretation.

The exact words were

“Also, president Juncker and my EU colleagues have on many occasions said that they wouldn’t require us to put in place a physical infrastructure and customs checks on the Border between Northern Ireland and Ireland,”

Emphasis on us.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's going to probably involve negotiations with the Post office, some money and I wonder whether insurance costs will increase too.

In any event, it's another check and likely delay factor at borders. Except perhaps between Northern Ireland and the ROI.

But there's probably going to be plenty of time to relax, whilst pausing for border queues to clear, once free movement becomes a stationary expense

Cannock

"I’m glad you’ve cleared that up and assured everyone we have nothing to worry about when the UK exits the European single aviation market etc.

"

Well have a look at the International Air services transit agreement on Google or Wikipedia. It's very clear what the rules of the agreement are.

"I’m glad you’ve cleared that up and assured everyone we have nothing to worry about when the UK exits the European single aviation market etc.

Well have a look at the International Air services transit agreement on Google or Wikipedia. It's very clear what the rules of the agreement are. "

No expert but looking at wiki it seems there’s no official right for a uk firm to fly from one Eu country to another, unless there’s a stop off in the uk. Is this correct ?

Bristol East

Well have a look at the International Air services transit agreement on Google or Wikipedia. It's very clear what the rules of the agreement are.

No expert but looking at wiki it seems there’s no official right for a uk firm to fly from one Eu country to another, unless there’s a stop off in the uk. Is this correct ?"

That is the single aviation market.

I spent a week in Santa Cruz, Madeira, at the end of the runway, in January.

Every morning the Easyjet flight from Lisbon came in, turned around, went back.

UK airline competing with TAP on Portugese domestic route.

That's gone.

Just as Norwegian won't be able to fly UK to non-Norwegian destinations.

easyjet has opened a subsidiary in Switzerland, which is part of the European economic aviation area - EEA + EU.

Would take five minutes of your time to apply. Not that much of a issue if you ask me. If you can’t spare 5 minutes to fill out a application, maybe you should think long and hard about your life.

"Would take five minutes of your time to apply. Not that much of a issue if you ask me. If you can’t spare 5 minutes to fill out a application, maybe you should think long and hard about your life."

Why should you welcome spending five minutes doing something you didn't have to do before?

No expert but looking at wiki it seems there’s no official right for a uk firm to fly from one Eu country to another, unless there’s a stop off in the uk. Is this correct ?

That's gone.

easyjet has opened a subsidiary in Switzerland, which is part of the European economic aviation area - EEA + EU.

"

Switzerland is not a member of the EEA.

It is a member of the EFTA.

If the EU really wanted the UK to join the club they could make up another area or agreement to accommodate us.

By *oubepoMan  over a year ago

Spain Portugal France

"Would take five minutes of your time to apply. Not that much of a issue if you ask me. If you can’t spare 5 minutes to fill out a application, maybe you should think long and hard about your life.

Why should you welcome spending five minutes doing something you didn't have to do before?"

Spoken by the person who just wasted 5 mins replying to a thread he didn't have to - Oh the irony! Lol

"Would take five minutes of your time to apply. Not that much of a issue if you ask me. If you can’t spare 5 minutes to fill out a application, maybe you should think long and hard about your life.

Why should you welcome spending five minutes doing something you didn't have to do before?

Spoken by the person who just wasted 5 mins replying to a thread he didn't have to - Oh the irony! Lol "

Was there an option before hand to reply to the thread without spending time ?

Essex

That's gone.

Switzerland is not a member of the EEA.

It is a member of the EFTA.

If the EU really wanted the UK to join the club they could make up another area or agreement to accommodate us.

"

Crucially, Switzerland is part of the single market...

"

"

An additional twist is that European law states that airlines must be majority EU owned to offer intra-EU flights. After Brexit, UK shareholders will not contribute to this requirement.

In March 2018, Michael O'Leary said: "It appears to me that the Europeans, on the prompting of the Germans and the French, will insist on a strict application of the ownership rules".

He noted "about 60-65%" of Ryanair's shareholding would be non-EU after a hard Brexit.

Ryanair would be faced with two options, O'Leary suggests: it could restrict the voting rights of its non-EU shareholders, or it could force them to sell their shares.

Bristol East

If you look up the preparedness notice issued by the EC for aviation safety, in the event of a No Deal, things in the UK like airline safety certificates, pilot licences, training qualifications - the list is endless - will no longer be valid in the European aviation market.

Bristol East

This is from the notice issued by the EC to the EU27 on July 19, 2018, advising them to make preparations for No Deal:

Main consequences of scenario 2: withdrawal on 30 March 2019 without a withdrawal agreement

The United Kingdom will be a third country and Union law ceases to apply to and in the United Kingdom.

? Citizens: There would be no specific arrangement in place for EU citizens in the United Kingdom, or for UK citizens in the European Union.

? Border issues: The European Union must apply its regulation and tariffs at borders with the United Kingdom as a third country, including checks and controls for customs, sanitary and phytosanitary standards and verification of compliance with EU norms. Transport between the United Kingdom and the European Union would be severely impacted. Customs, sanitary and phytosanitary controls at borders could cause significant delays, e.g. in road transport, and difficulties for ports.

? Trade and regulatory issues: The United Kingdom becomes a third country whose relations with the European Union would be governed by general international public law, including rules of the World Trade Organisation. In particular, in heavily regulated sectors, this would represent a significant drawback compared to the current level of market integration.

? Negotiations with the United Kingdom: Depending on the circumstances leading to the withdrawal without an agreement, the EU may wish to enter into negotiations with the United Kingdom as a third country.

? EU funding: UK entities would cease to be eligible as Union entities for the purpose of receiving EU grants and participating in EU procurement procedures. Unless otherwise provided for by the legal provisions in force, candidates or tenderers from the United Kingdom could be rejected.

"This is from the notice issued by the EC to the EU27 on July 19, 2018, advising them to make preparations for No Deal:

Main consequences of scenario 2: withdrawal on 30 March 2019 without a withdrawal agreement

The United Kingdom will be a third country and Union law ceases to apply to and in the United Kingdom.

? Citizens: There would be no specific arrangement in place for EU citizens in the United Kingdom, or for UK citizens in the European Union.

? Border issues: The European Union must apply its regulation and tariffs at borders with the United Kingdom as a third country, including checks and controls for customs, sanitary and phytosanitary standards and verification of compliance with EU norms. Transport between the United Kingdom and the European Union would be severely impacted. Customs, sanitary and phytosanitary controls at borders could cause significant delays, e.g. in road transport, and difficulties for ports.

? Trade and regulatory issues: The United Kingdom becomes a third country whose relations with the European Union would be governed by general international public law, including rules of the World Trade Organisation. In particular, in heavily regulated sectors, this would represent a significant drawback compared to the current level of market integration.

? Negotiations with the United Kingdom: Depending on the circumstances leading to the withdrawal without an agreement, the EU may wish to enter into negotiations with the United Kingdom as a third country.

? EU funding: UK entities would cease to be eligible as Union entities for the purpose of receiving EU grants and participating in EU procurement procedures. Unless otherwise provided for by the legal provisions in force, candidates or tenderers from the United Kingdom could be rejected.

"

Actually us migrants who live in the EU will be processed as 3rd country citizens - resulting in a lot of beaurocracy (especially in France). So the EU have a system but what does affect us is if there is any reciprocal benefits - pensions, health, taxation etc?

Bristol East

[Removed by poster at 21/07/18 18:10:22]

Bristol East

The way I read that is that UK citizens will no longer be subject to EU law, so the legal requirement for you to receive the same benefits as any local citizen no long applies. I guess each country will have different rules for how it treats citizens of a third country.

Why should you welcome spending five minutes doing something you didn't have to do before?"

A bit like consent contracts...the logical extension of your rabid ideology

A bit like consent contracts...the logical extension of your rabid ideology "

Why is it a rabid ideology? Because it differs from yours?

Because the false notion of r culture has spread like wildfire.

"The way I read that is that UK citizens will no longer be subject to EU law, so the legal requirement for you to receive the same benefits as any local citizen no long applies. I guess each country will have different rules for how it treats citizens of a third country.

"

"Benefits " is probably the wrong word. Here in France as a 3rd country citzens you have to meet the requirements if wanting to live here:

1. Income/capital requirements

2. Health Insurance

3. Not be a security risk

There are several options too:

1. Student

2. Inactive

3. Active - employed or self employed

4. Spouse of a French citizen

There are different requirements for each category. Most Brits are inactive here in France (retired) who are here on what is called an S1. UK government pays their medical cover (70% of it) and they have to pay the balance. If a no deal and we crash out and the UK government withdraw this an awful lot of OAP's are in the shit - a benefit. The next problem for the oldies is the annual increase - again it could be stopped. Finally if all your income is UK based the FX rate falling means reduced income in Euro land. Also will the French want all the Brits to pay income tax on their UK income? Double taxation facility may no longer exist. It's all very complex and uncertain!

Bottom line for me is .is that we are controlled and told what we can and can't do

We are 5th richest country in the world

Even exiting / leaving we are being told what to do .

I still vote Brexit

We can make our own decisions

We are far to soft with eu

Essex

"Bottom line for me is .is that we are controlled and told what we can and can't do

We are 5th richest country in the world

Even exiting / leaving we are being told what to do .

I still vote Brexit

We can make our own decisions

We are far to soft with eu"

We were 5th prior to referendum and we are now 6th. Im betting we wont be in the top 10 a couple of years after a no deal, f$ck you Brexit.

If you are referring to the Canary Wharf bomb you are a very sick and sad individual to make such a comment.

Most people would be thoroghtly ashamed of themselves to be associated with any activity that results in the loss of human life or serious injury.

Bristol East

One thing that would worry me is the wellbeing of the 3 million EU citizens in the UK.

After the referendum, we saw a surge in hate crime - hotheads thinking the result gave legitimacy to picking on people they wanted to evict from the country.

Fast forward to March 30 and, unless the UK Government acts to legitimise their status, 3 million people will be in danger of being picked on by those same hotheads.

Especially if the right-wing media has been stirring up anti-EU hate over an impending No Deal exit.

Bristol East

"

"Benefits " is probably the wrong word. Here in France as a 3rd country citzens you have to meet the requirements if wanting to live here:

2. Health Insurance

1. Student

2. Inactive

There are different requirements for each category. Most Brits are inactive here in France (retired) who are here on what is called an S1. UK government pays their medical cover (70% of it) and they have to pay the balance. If a no deal and we crash out and the UK government withdraw this an awful lot of OAP's are in the shit - a benefit. The next problem for the oldies is the annual increase - again it could be stopped. Finally if all your income is UK based the FX rate falling means reduced income in Euro land. Also will the French want all the Brits to pay income tax on their UK income? Double taxation facility may no longer exist. It's all very complex and uncertain! "

How long do you have to live in France before you become eligible to apply for French citizenship?

"

2. Health Insurance

1. Student

2. Inactive

There are different requirements for each category. Most Brits are inactive here in France (retired) who are here on what is called an S1. UK government pays their medical cover (70% of it) and they have to pay the balance. If a no deal and we crash out and the UK government withdraw this an awful lot of OAP's are in the shit - a benefit. The next problem for the oldies is the annual increase - again it could be stopped. Finally if all your income is UK based the FX rate falling means reduced income in Euro land. Also will the French want all the Brits to pay income tax on their UK income? Double taxation facility may no longer exist. It's all very complex and uncertain!

How long do you have to live in France before you become eligible to apply for French citizenship?

"

Five years.

By *laclkguyMan  over a year ago

Pontefract

That's right you've hit the nail on the head

I remember having to get an IDP + a green card + a bond for driving in Spain

If the UK decides to stick 2 fingers up to the EU as some leavers want (never going to happen) then we'll be going back to the old days

If the car companies can't sell cars into and thought the EU because their not in it,

they'll up sticks and move back

Into the EU

that's all of them btw apart from Morgan (powered by bmw)

I'm a firm believer of making your bed and lying in it

Leavers,You'll have to take responsibility for this one

Bristol East

"

If the UK decides to stick 2 fingers up to the EU as some leavers want (never going to happen) then we'll be going back to the old days

"

Que Sera Sera

Widnes

"

Google is your friend.

No, it doesn't. USA, Mexico and Canada have a FTA, and yet there is a physical border."

An FTA might solve the Northern Ireland border problem but it probably won't. It depends how deep and extensive the FTA is. If a new FTA included at a minimum some sort of Customs Union with the or, better still, a single market with the EU with free movement of goods, services, capital and labour, then it would solve the Northern Ireland problem. If, on the other hand, a new FTA only covered say dairy products and didn't include regularty alignment then it wouldn't solve anything.

Widnes

Well have a look at the International Air services transit agreement on Google or Wikipedia. It's very clear what the rules of the agreement are. "

The point you're missing is that currently our right to fly into many countries is by agreements made between those countries and the EU. When we leave, unless we have an agreement in place with the EU, we will no longer be covered and won't be able to fly into those countries until we make our own agreements with them. But you're right, once we leave the EU and the open skies agreements we currently have there is nothing the EU could do, or would want to do, to stop us making new agreements. The only problem would be time and priority. Which countries to we try to get agreements with first and is getting open skies agreements higher up the priority list than getting free trade agreements? And all this, if we have a no deal BREXIT, has to be done in a lot less than 8 months.

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

More scare stories...absolute bollocks ...

Cannock

The point you're missing is that currently our right to fly into many countries is by agreements made between those countries and the EU. When we leave, unless we have an agreement in place with the EU, we will no longer be covered and won't be able to fly into those countries until we make our own agreements with them. But you're right, once we leave the EU and the open skies agreements we currently have there is nothing the EU could do, or would want to do, to stop us making new agreements. The only problem would be time and priority. Which countries to we try to get agreements with first and is getting open skies agreements higher up the priority list than getting free trade agreements? And all this, if we have a no deal BREXIT, has to be done in a lot less than 8 months."

It appears you haven't even bothered to look at the International Air Services Transit agreement and what the conditions of it are. This is not EU law this is international law and all countries who have signed up to it must abide by the terms and conditions of the agreement. The agreement clearly says that all countries who have signed up to the agreement cannot stop or block planes flying in each others airspace and can also not block those planes from landing. This agreement is an international agreement that pre dates the EU. Pretty much the whole of Europe is signed up to the International Air services transit agreement and they signed up to it as individual countries, they cannot stop UK planes flying over Europe and they cannot block British planes from landing in those countries either.

You were saying? They can land and refuel but not board and disembark passengers. So without the open skies treaty we're screwed. Well done leave voters.

International Air Services Transit Agreement refers to a multilateral agreement drawn up in Chicago convention ie., the Convention on Civil Aviation, by the members of the of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). The agreement established for the first time the principle of automatic right of transit and of emergency landing. The agreement is known as two freedom agreement. Article one of the agreement states that each contracting state grants to the other contracting states the following freedoms of the air in respect of scheduled international air services :

(1) The privilege to fly across its territory without landing;

(2) The privilege to land for non-traffic purposes.

The second freedom grants the civil aircrafts the freedom to make non traffic landings in foreign countries for refueling or overhaul only, in foreign territory.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

"Pretty much the whole of Europe is signed up to the International Air services transit agreement and they signed up to it as individual countries, they cannot stop UK planes flying over Europe and they cannot block British planes from landing in those countries either."

What fucking world do you live in?

"Pretty much the whole of Europe is signed up to the International Air services transit agreement and they signed up to it as individual countries, they cannot stop UK planes flying over Europe and they cannot block British planes from landing in those countries either.

They can however stop people boarding and disembarking. The air services transport agreement doesn't cover passenger transport.

What fucking world do you live in?"

Cannock

"Pretty much the whole of Europe is signed up to the International Air services transit agreement and they signed up to it as individual countries, they cannot stop UK planes flying over Europe and they cannot block British planes from landing in those countries either.

What fucking world do you live in?"

The real one.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

The real one. "

It really fucking isn't, it's a world of mainlining Brexit overdosing on ignorance Google searches and "I read it on Wikipedia".

Cannock

The real one.

It really fucking isn't, it's a world of mainlining Brexit overdosing on ignorance Google searches and "I read it on Wikipedia"."

So you think the international air Services agreement isn't a real thing then?

Bristol East

I discovered last week that posting links to certain websites incurs the displeasure of the admin.

So rather then signpost you to the Brexit preparedness notice on aviation issued by the EC to the EU27 in January this year, I've cut and paste it below:

NOTICE TO STAKEHOLDERS

WITHDRAWAL OF THE UNITED KINGDOM AND EU RULES IN THE FIELD OF AIR TRANSPORT

The United Kingdom submitted on 29 March 2017 the notification of its intention to withdraw from the Union pursuant to Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union. This means that, unless a ratified withdrawal agreement establishes another date, all Union primary and secondary law will cease to apply to the United Kingdom from 30 March 2019, 00:00h (CET) ('the withdrawal date’). The United Kingdom will then become a 'third country'.

In view of the considerable uncertainties, in particular concerning the content of a possible withdrawal agreement, all operators are reminded of legal repercussions, which need to be considered when the United Kingdom becomes a third country.

Subject to any transitional arrangement that may be contained in a possible withdrawal agreement, as of the withdrawal date, the EU rules in the field of air transport no longer apply to the United Kingdom. This has, in particular, the following consequences in the different areas of air transport:

1. OPERATING LICENCES

o Air carriers holding EU operating licences:

In order to obtain and keep an EU operating licence and benefit from the intra-EU air traffic rights, air carriers must comply at all times with the conditions under Article 4 of Regulation (EC) No 1008/2008 on air services4. The conditions include, among others, the need to have one's principal place of business within an EU Member State, and to be majority owned and effectively controlled by EU Member States and/or nationals of EU Member States. If the conditions are no longer fulfilled as a consequence of the United Kingdom becoming a third country, the operating licence at issue will no longer be valid.

o Air carriers holding an operating licence delivered by the UK authorities:

As of the withdrawal date, the operating licences granted to airlines by the United Kingdom Civil Aviation Authority will no longer be valid EU operating licences.

2. INTERNATIONAL ASPECTS

As of the withdrawal date, the United Kingdom will automatically cease to be covered by air transport agreements of the Union, whether these have been entered into by the Union alone (e.g. the Air Transport Agreement with Switzerland) or by the Union and its Member States acting jointly (e.g. the Air Transport Agreement with the USA7). This has, in particular, consequences as regards access to designation/traffic rights and other areas covered by the said agreements.

o Air carriers of the United Kingdom:

Air carriers of the United Kingdom will no longer enjoy traffic rights under any air transport agreement to which the Union is a party, be it to or from the territory of the United Kingdom, be it to or from the territory of any of the EU Member States.

Air carriers of the United Kingdom will no longer have access to designation/traffic rights so far available under the bilateral air transport agreements between EU Member States and a third country on account of the principle of EU designation accepted by the third country concerned.

o Air carriers of any of the EU Member States:

Air carriers of the EU Member States will no longer enjoy traffic rights to or from the territory of the United Kingdom granted to Union carriers by a third country under any air transport agreement to which the Union is a party.

Rights under the said agreements as regards, inter alia, cooperative market arrangements including leasing, intermodal service or operational flexibility may be affected if, and to the extent to which, they are exercised in the territory of the United Kingdom or in connection with carriers of the United Kingdom.

Air carriers of the EU Member States may no longer have access to designation/traffic rights so far available under the bilateral air transport agreements between the United Kingdom and a third country on account of the principle of EU designation accepted by the third country concerned.

Air carriers of countries which are not Member States of the EU will no longer benefit from access to traffic rights to or from the territory of the United Kingdom, or any other rights where these have been granted to their country under any air transport agreement to which the Union is a party.

3. AVIATION CERTIFICATES AND LICENCES

Further information on aviation certificates and licences, as well as other aviation safety related questions, including aviation safety agreements, will be made available on EASA’s website at the following link: https://www.easa.europa.eu/.

Preparing for the withdrawal is not just a matter for Union and national authorities, but also for private parties.

The website of the Commission on air transport provides general information. These pages will be updated with further information, where necessary.

European Commission

Directorate-General for Mobility and Transport

Bristol East

[Removed by poster at 24/07/18 17:55:44]

Bristol East

There is another Brexit preparedness notice on aviation safety that explains to the EU27 how things like pilot licences, airworthiness certificates, insurance, etc issued in the UK are no longer recognised in the EU27 under EU law from March 30 next year in the event of no agreement being in place between the EU and UK.

Cannock

The real one.

It really fucking isn't, it's a world of mainlining Brexit overdosing on ignorance Google searches and "I read it on Wikipedia".

So you think the international air Services agreement isn't a real thing then? "

It's people like Leo Varadker who don't live in the real world, when he comes out with nonsensical statements like, "We will block UK planes flying in our airspace and from landing on our territory". He seems to forget that Rep. of Ireland is a signatory of the International Air services Transit agreement and he can't do those things as conditions of the agreement. 2nd he seems to have forgotten that the UK has an agreement with Rep. of Ireland that British RAF planes will protect Irish airspace from aggressors such as Russia who have already been probing British airspace with their military jets in recent years. Block Uk planes Leo, then also kiss goodbye to the protection of the RAF. And lastly from an economic point of view does he realise that London to Dublin and vice versa is one of the busiest commercial air traffic routes in the whole world. Does he really want to lose the economic benefits from that as well as the protection of the RAF? Maybe Mr Varadker should engage his Brain before opening his mouth about such matters in future.

Bristol East

It doesn't need a PM to stop the planes from flying on March 30. The lawyers will do that.

The real one.

It's people like Leo Varadker who don't live in the real world, when he comes out with nonsensical statements like, "We will block UK planes flying in our airspace and from landing on our territory". He seems to forget that Rep. of Ireland is a signatory of the International Air services Transit agreement and he can't do those things as conditions of the agreement. 2nd he seems to have forgotten that the UK has an agreement with Rep. of Ireland that British RAF planes will protect Irish airspace from aggressors such as Russia who have already been probing British airspace with their military jets in recent years. Block Uk planes Leo, then also kiss goodbye to the protection of the RAF. And lastly from an economic point of view does he realise that London to Dublin and vice versa is one of the busiest commercial air traffic routes in the whole world. Does he really want to lose the economic benefits from that as well as the protection of the RAF? Maybe Mr Varadker should engage his Brain before opening his mouth about such matters in future. "

Yes, how dare any nation exercise their sovereignty. That's not what brexit is about!

Cannock

The real one.

It's people like Leo Varadker who don't live in the real world, when he comes out with nonsensical statements like, "We will block UK planes flying in our airspace and from landing on our territory". He seems to forget that Rep. of Ireland is a signatory of the International Air services Transit agreement and he can't do those things as conditions of the agreement. 2nd he seems to have forgotten that the UK has an agreement with Rep. of Ireland that British RAF planes will protect Irish airspace from aggressors such as Russia who have already been probing British airspace with their military jets in recent years. Block Uk planes Leo, then also kiss goodbye to the protection of the RAF. And lastly from an economic point of view does he realise that London to Dublin and vice versa is one of the busiest commercial air traffic routes in the whole world. Does he really want to lose the economic benefits from that as well as the protection of the RAF? Maybe Mr Varadker should engage his Brain before opening his mouth about such matters in future.

Yes, how dare any nation exercise their sovereignty. That's not what brexit is about!"

Yet more double standards. You keep telling us to abide by international law, and international agreements, but now those same rules shouldn't apply to Rep. of Ireland and you want to ignore international agreements.

Whic part of the iast allows a uk company to fly from an Eu country to an Eu country without stopping off in the uk ? My reading of the wiki page is this is not an official Part of the agreement ....

Bristol East

"Whic part of the iast allows a uk company to fly from an Eu country to an Eu country without stopping off in the uk ? My reading of the wiki page is this is not an official Part of the agreement ...."

Any airline based in the EU can compete on any route anywhere in the EU. It is the single aviation market. When the UK leaves, it will leave the single aviation market and no longer be able to compete.

By *eedsandyMan  over a year ago

Leeds

"Whic part of the iast allows a uk company to fly from an Eu country to an Eu country without stopping off in the uk ? My reading of the wiki page is this is not an official Part of the agreement ....

Any airline based in the EU can compete on any route anywhere in the EU. It is the single aviation market. When the UK leaves, it will leave the single aviation market and no longer be able to compete."

And which airlines does this affect?

Bristol East

"Whic part of the iast allows a uk company to fly from an Eu country to an Eu country without stopping off in the uk ? My reading of the wiki page is this is not an official Part of the agreement ....

Any airline based in the EU can compete on any route anywhere in the EU. It is the single aviation market. When the UK leaves, it will leave the single aviation market and no longer be able to compete.

And which airlines does this affect?"

Without going to check, I know that Flybe and Easyjet both operate on non-UK routes.

The real one.

Yes, how dare any nation exercise their sovereignty. That's not what brexit is about!

Yet more double standards. You keep telling us to abide by international law, and international agreements, but now those same rules shouldn't apply to Rep. of Ireland and you want to ignore international agreements. "

Not really. If the UK continues down their stupid path of maximum brexit, then Ireland would be obliged to honour it's agreements with the EU and keep UK aircraft out of it's airspace until such time that the UK stops fucking about.

As for your last two points "do what we want, or else" that's pretty rich coming from the likes of you.

You're pissing constantly about imagined slights involving the EU telling plucky ol' blighty what to do, but apparently have no compunction about advocating for the exact same thing as long as you're not on the receiving end.

Typical.