FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Keeping out promises.

Keeping out promises.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Did May really say we will pay the divorce bill regardless of the deal outcome? Or was there a “unless” which I haven’t picked up on ?

I thought avoiding the bill was an upside of no deal compared to checkers. Or at the very least was going to be leverage to get a deal.

(Note: I picked up on this when at the gym, so could have the wrong end of the stick ...)

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple  over a year ago

Dudley

"Did May really say we will pay the divorce bill regardless of the deal outcome? Or was there a “unless” which I haven’t picked up on ?

I thought avoiding the bill was an upside of no deal compared to checkers. Or at the very least was going to be leverage to get a deal.

(Note: I picked up on this when at the gym, so could have the wrong end of the stick ...)"

If she did say that she needs to be booted out and get someone in with some backbone!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Did May really say we will pay the divorce bill regardless of the deal outcome? Or was there a “unless” which I haven’t picked up on ?

(Note: I picked up on this when at the gym, so could have the wrong end of the stick ...)

If she did say that she needs to be booted out and get someone in with some backbone!"

As far as I understand, the 'divorce bill' which is established only gets us continued access to certain projects as they are our legally binding sustained contractual obligations.

So no. We will pay it if we leave. As even if we did not want to use the resources after we leave or during the transition period, we agreed to the contract. Contracts are honoured when written.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed has been the mantra of both sides from day one.

Leaving any club without settling your dues is not a good idea, however.

It creates acrimony and, in all probability, an action to recover the debt at the International Court.

The only positive outcome I can see is that Farage would not get a pension.

"Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed has been the mantra of both sides from day one.

It creates acrimony and, in all probability, an action to recover the debt at the International Court.

"

Not only that, but in the long run it makes investors jumpy. If a country doesn't honour it's debts, will honour the it's contracts to companies and individuals?

That's what happened to the Spanish Empire and why private businesses relocated to the Netherlands.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

We will pay it because we are British it is our way.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed has been the mantra of both sides from day one.

Not only that, but in the long run it makes investors jumpy. If a country doesn't honour it's debts, will honour the it's contracts to companies and individuals?

That's what happened to the Spanish Empire and why private businesses relocated to the Netherlands."

if they didn't settle the bill it would kill the credit rating, which means money they would have to get for big infrustructure projects would be more expensive or they would have the offer a higher bond yield rate to get people to invest.....

either way... in the long term costing more...

That's what happened to the Spanish Empire and why private businesses relocated to the Netherlands."

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

As I understand it the £39 billion agreed (actually probably closer to £50 billion) is actually only agreed when everything is agreed. However what is agreed regardless is that the UK will pay the EU everything it owes.

What this means is that if we leave with "no deal" then the agreed amount will no longer be agreed but we'll still have to pay something. That something maybe more or it maybe less than the £39 million but it won't be nothing.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Don't forget the EU owe us several billions from our investment in the EU bank.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

"As I understand it the £39 billion agreed (actually probably closer to £50 billion) is actually only agreed when everything is agreed. However what is agreed regardless is that the UK will pay the EU everything it owes.

"

I can't help but hear the voice of Ronnie Barker when I read that

(Note: I picked up on this when at the gym, so could have the wrong end of the stick ...)"

She is a politician not a lawyer! If the UK has entered a legally binding contract and chooses to break it, there is a penalty to pay. It's called law of tort - so in short there will be a bill if they have signed up - not seen the contract but the UK government could fight it - but they have paid out billions in cancelled contracts of the years!

We are watching a not very competent prime minister leading a very divided Cabinet in pursuit of a totally impossible goal and now they want an extension to to prolong the misery .Looks like another GE or a referendum before we leave ,if we leave in 2020 or 2021.

Britain is looking rather pathetic and dithering at the moment.

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

If she did say that she needs to be booted out and get someone in with some backbone!"

Mrs fudge needs to go and ...now before she sells us down the river .she was useless as home secretary so who in their right mind thought she could lead us . she is a remainer at heart .all the current MPS are pathetic .its all about them them them .and that Muppet Blair needs to keep his trap shut . he pushed us into an unecessary war in IRAQ .he has many things to answer for . he agreed to open up our borders.and Major is no better he signed away all our rights back in 1992_.The arrogance of the blinker wearing brigade beggers belief . this country needs to pull itself together once its had a good ass kicking .

If she did say that she needs to be booted out and get someone in with some backbone!Mrs fudge needs to go and ...now before she sells us down the river .she was useless as home secretary so who in their right mind thought she could lead us . she is a remainer at heart .all the current MPS are pathetic .its all about them them them .and that Muppet Blair needs to keep his trap shut . he pushed us into an unecessary war in IRAQ .he has many things to answer for . he agreed to open up our borders.and Major is no better he signed away all our rights back in 1992_.The arrogance of the blinker wearing brigade beggers belief . this country needs to pull itself together once its had a good ass kicking . "

So in the general election - who did you vote for?

» Add a new message to this topic