FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Parking Fines

Parking Fines

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ardiffCoupleNJ OP   Couple  over a year ago

Pontypridd/Rhyfelin

Went to Bizarre Bazaar in Brum on the weekend.

Got a parking ticket.

Parked on a single yellow, on a Sunday at 3.45pm. Thing is we looked for a parking restrictions notice and there were none on display. The metered areas said no fees on a Sunday. So we parked. Turns out we'd entered a "Controlled Zone" with no loading permitted any day of the week up to 7.30pm.

On return to the car I double checked and there are no restruction notices in the entire street. So if you miss the controlled zone sign you are stuffed. Not being local we were unaware.

Not at all amused & am going to contest this one. Apart from the fact that this is clearly a revenue ploy (given the street there was no reason to prevent parking on a single yellow on a Sunday when parking charges don't apply), to publish no parking restriction signs on a street approx 200m long seems grossly unfair. The entire row of cars ahead of us had the same fate.

Views?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *verysmileMan  over a year ago

CANTERBURY

"Went to Bizarre Bazaar in Brum on the weekend.

Got a parking ticket.

Parked on a single yellow, on a Sunday at 3.45pm. Thing is we looked for a parking restrictions notice and there were none on display. The metered areas said no fees on a Sunday. So we parked. Turns out we'd entered a "Controlled Zone" with no loading permitted any day of the week up to 7.30pm.

On return to the car I double checked and there are no restruction notices in the entire street. So if you miss the controlled zone sign you are stuffed. Not being local we were unaware.

Not at all amused & am going to contest this one. Apart from the fact that this is clearly a revenue ploy (given the street there was no reason to prevent parking on a single yellow on a Sunday when parking charges don't apply), to publish no parking restriction signs on a street approx 200m long seems grossly unfair. The entire row of cars ahead of us had the same fate.

Views?

"

Does it say Parking Charge Notice...not enforcable as it it a private con.

Or

Penalty Charge Notice....which is issued by a body able to carry out law enforcement?

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

If it's a Council generated ticket, which I assume it is, then they "normally" have things pretty much tied up legally.

Our need to delve deeper and see if there are any forums concerning this street, and see what others have done/experienced.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Parking fines are just a councils license to print money. In Brighton there are restrictions everywhere. Places where you could park freely in the past are now restricted. Even outside hospitals and dr’s surgeries.

I’m guessing it is the same everywhere. And don’t get me started on 20mph speed limits!!

[Removed by poster at 22/10/18 20:32:55]

Got a parking ticket.

Views?

"

Going by the info in this link:

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/20109/parking/413/street_parking.

Re: this paragraph..

"On street parking charges do not apply on Christmas Day, Good Friday and Bank Holidays"

There is no mention of a Sunday.

You could retrace where you entered the zone using Street view to have a look to recheck signs etc.,

If you were in the bay, and parked correctly (car inside and not overhanging painted bay then i think so.

Get a screen print from google maps to show the "

metered areas said no fees on a Sunday."

Btw, is it a bona-fide ticket on your window? Not a dodgy scam attempt?

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I've had success with Birmingham council, for a ticket their staff issued: they were reasonable (I'm obviously biased, as I didn't have to pay) - so it's definitely worth contesting it and sooner rather than later, within the discounted period. My ticket was issued in a different area but could seemingly have been as strongly enforced by them, as yours may appear to be.

As others point out, include the reasonableness of your decision to park, based upon not knowing the area and the lack of, as well as confusion from signs.

By *ardiffCoupleNJ OP   Couple  over a year ago

Pontypridd/Rhyfelin

Thanks for replies.

Yep def a bone fide ticket.

Did take some phone pics of the street and parking machines. The machine states no parking fees on Sundays & Bank Holidays.

It was on Kent Street which is one way. Glancing at Google Maps the road is about 250m long. I walked the full length and saw no parking restriction signs which gave any indication of what restrictions applied to a single yellow line. It was my assumption that if there was no charge in the parking bays, on a Sunday then there were be no restrictions on a single yellow on a Sunday ....which tends to be the norm unless otherwise stated - which in this case it was not.

The sign I had missed was on entering the road which had a restricted zone sign. I don't doubt that they are covered by the letter of the law, but on the grounds of what is reasonable, in my opinion I think there should be some sort of parking notice signs indicating the restrictions on the yellow lines given their Draconian nature - no loading any day of the week 8am to 7.30pm.

Goodness knows what the point is when the street has squeeze points on it restricting traffic flow anyway, why the street isn't metered parking the whole length I don't know.

I'd add a few of the pictures to our profile to show what I mean but guess not really a good use of Fabs bandwidth!!

"Thanks for replies.

Yep def a bone fide ticket.

Did take some phone pics of the street and parking machines. The machine states no parking fees on Sundays & Bank Holidays.

It was on Kent Street which is one way. Glancing at Google Maps the road is about 250m long. I walked the full length and saw no parking restriction signs which gave any indication of what restrictions applied to a single yellow line. It was my assumption that if there was no charge in the parking bays, on a Sunday then there were be no restrictions on a single yellow on a Sunday ....which tends to be the norm unless otherwise stated - which in this case it was not.

The sign I had missed was on entering the road which had a restricted zone sign. I don't doubt that they are covered by the letter of the law, but on the grounds of what is reasonable, in my opinion I think there should be some sort of parking notice signs indicating the restrictions on the yellow lines given their Draconian nature - no loading any day of the week 8am to 7.30pm.

Goodness knows what the point is when the street has squeeze points on it restricting traffic flow anyway, why the street isn't metered parking the whole length I don't know.

I'd add a few of the pictures to our profile to show what I mean but guess not really a good use of Fabs bandwidth!!"

Hi there,

So sorry to hear you were ticketed - not a great way to round off a visit somewhere that’s for sure

There are 4 CPZs in Birmingham and Kent Street looks like it is in the Outer Zone, for parking bay purposes at least. So the parking bays are free on Sunday as you rightly point out.

There used to be a parking scam that was run on that road but we don’t know whether it still does. The other site (which I can’t post here) posted about it, but the message/sticky is about 8 years old and I don’t know if it is still relevant. As you’ve done a check and you know the ticket is genuine then that can’t be the reason, unless it’s worth a double check???

As part of that posting though (and again the information is archived) apparently it depends on the blips on the single yellow lines. Here’s the money saving expert emergency guide to parking (which I’ll be printing out now after this): https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/glovebox-parking-guide/

It won’t make you feel any better but it looks like it’s a popular place to ticket people on a Sunday, which makes me rather cross. I know councils are strapped for cash but that doesn’t mean they have to be devious over how they raise funds.

By *alldarksurreyMan  over a year ago

surrey

There is a zone ends sign at the entrance to kent road via wrentham street, that says to me the controlled zone that was on wrentham street has ended

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Got a parking ticket.

Views?

"

Sounds like you feel upset about receiving a fine for parking, how do you feel about the situation, would you want to explain further?

Just ignore it until you receive a ccj

By *igsteve43Man  over a year ago

derby

Took my test thirty years ago but i was always told if there was any yellow line dont park, i think it will be upheld, before you contest check if your fine can be doubled or indeed it could result in penalty points

I never park on single yellows, every area is different & finding the damn info sigh can be hard work.

If I had no choice then I wouldn't leave my car on the yellow until I had found and read the damn sign to make sure I was within the parking guidelines.

"or indeed it could result in penalty points"

Only in certain circumstances like leaving your vehicle in a dangerous position.

» Add a new message to this topic