FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > The Corbyn V May Debate

The Corbyn V May Debate

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oo hot OP   Couple  over a year ago

North West

Two trains of thought...

1) What is the point? A Brexiter pretending to be a Remainer taking on a Remainer pretending to be a Brexiter to debate a proposal that will be decided by MP’s not the people watching the debate.

2) For this debate to have any relevance Corbyn will have to get a policy laid out that is bulletproof and would get through Parliament. Nothing he has said so far would lead us to believe he has such a policy.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I can't think of any good reason unless there's going to be another referendum.

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

Just saw on the news Boris Johnson has released a tweet calling the debate pointless as well. Pointless because May and Corbyn both supported remain during the referendum, they both want a half in/half out Brexit and not a proper Brexit. To make the debate relevant he says someone who supported Leave during the referendum needs to be included.

"Just saw on the news Boris Johnson has released a tweet calling the debate pointless as well. Pointless because May and Corbyn both supported remain during the referendum, they both want a half in/half out Brexit and not a proper Brexit. To make the debate relevant he says someone who supported Leave during the referendum needs to be included. "

Who is he thinking of ? Surely not him

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Why have the debate? The.Prime Minister has to sell her plan to 650 MPs, not the country, as they are the ones voting on it.

If the deal is kicked out, as is likely, we then go into territory where debates may be needed.

By *verysmileMan  over a year ago

CANTERBURY

About the only tactic that May can deploy against Corbyn as his position is a little ambiguous. It is possible that she is hoping to destroy him with his 6 tests using her superior debating skills and boundless charm, before she has to debate other issues at an election.

And of course, she is an expert in election strategies, isn't she?

In terms of Brexit, as pointless as a pen with no nib.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

There must be a reason for it.

It's not obvious what that is.

Debating the ins and outs of a 500-page legal treaty really isn't the stuff of blockbuster television.

Debates between leaders are opportunities for both to convince the public why they should be the next PM.

No-one has called an election. Have they?

"There must be a reason for it.

Debating the ins and outs of a 500-page legal treaty really isn't the stuff of blockbuster television.

Debates between leaders are opportunities for both to convince the public why they should be the next PM.

"

The reason for a debate is..

labour will say they will get behind mays deal if she later puts the final deal to the people in a referendum absolving them from betraying the true meaning of brexshit.

By *oo hot OP   Couple  over a year ago

North West

"There must be a reason for it.

"

Psychologically it could just be about having two people agreeing about the desired outcome but seeing who can best deliver it. I guess it might make people just think that there are no other alternatives other than the views being presented.

It would make sense to have more representation - on all sides, so the viewers get an understanding that really - this is still all up in the air and not just a choice as to whether to by Ford or by Vauxhall

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Get them debating, once a referendum on what the country should do, is actually organised.

The debate concept is forced to deflect attention away from the Conservatives who single-handedly created the referendum for their own ends and then wasted nearly 2 years of the Article 50 negotiating period, because they'd not taken the essential decisions before submitting it, so didn't have much of a plan until recently. If Brexit implementation had been managed by a cross-party group, it may be a little different but the whole shambles, cost to the country etc has been the Conservative's sole responsibility. May is their current leader, as the creeps behind the scenes have been unable/unwilling to do anything to change things but have been complicit in the disaster all along.

Bristol East

But we have had a referendum.

People voted to leave.

I do not want another.

The public made its decision.

The way forward now is up to MPs.

They have two choices.

The May proposal or no proposal.

Anything else is an abdication of duty.

By *verysmileMan  over a year ago

CANTERBURY

"But we have had a referendum.

People voted to leave.

I do not want another.

They have two choices.

"

This

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

People voted to leave.

I do not want another.

They have two choices.

This "

Does this mean we only have one general election per generation? Of course not, we are clearer now that leaving is a mess, so it is perfectly reasonable and totally democratic to ask the audience again!

Bristol East

"

Does this mean we only have one general election per generation? Of course not, we are clearer now that leaving is a mess, so it is perfectly reasonable and totally democratic to ask the audience again! "

I voted Remain last time. If they ask me if I'd like to change my mind, I probably would, just to put two fingers up at the feckers.

These were the people who decided we should have a binary vote in the first place. They got an answer first time. Now fuck off and do your job.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Two trains of thought...

1) What is the point? A Brexiter pretending to be a Remainer taking on a Remainer pretending to be a Brexiter to debate a proposal that will be decided by MP’s not the people watching the debate.

2) For this debate to have any relevance Corbyn will have to get a policy laid out that is bulletproof and would get through Parliament. Nothing he has said so far would lead us to believe he has such a policy. "

I like it very funny

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

People voted to leave.

I do not want another.

They have two choices.

"

Very well put

"

Does this mean we only have one general election per generation? Of course not, we are clearer now that leaving is a mess, so it is perfectly reasonable and totally democratic to ask the audience again!

I voted Remain last time. If they ask me if I'd like to change my mind, I probably would, just to put two fingers up at the feckers.

These were the people who decided we should have a binary vote in the first place. They got an answer first time. Now fuck off and do your job.

"

I can fully understand both sides of the argument above but even as a remain voter I'd go with the latter comment.

» Add a new message to this topic