FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Minford

Minford

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Is it just me or does anyone else think that Patrick Minfords whole career has been founded on going against the consensus of sensible opinion? Is his true motivation the fame, adulation and financial support his role as the alternative guru gives him and does he really believe what he says or is it all just an act? Keep your answers short, sweet, accurate and concise and avoid falling into “fake news” “libtard” “alt-right” etc pejoratives. Oh and points will be given for accuracy and facts.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Is it just me or does anyone else think that Patrick Minfords whole career has been founded on going against the consensus of sensible opinion? Is his true motivation the fame, adulation and financial support his role as the alternative guru gives him and does he really believe what he says or is it all just an act? Keep your answers short, sweet, accurate and concise and avoid falling into “fake news” “libtard” “alt-right” etc pejoratives. Oh and points will be given for accuracy and facts. "

He was an advisor to Thatcher was he not? Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

He’s the Alex Jones of the economic world.

By *ild_oatsMan  over a year ago

the land of saints & sinners

Professor Minford’s Brexit model has been debunked on numerous occasions as being critically flawed in a number of areas..

The headline figures they used to start with were suspect in the very least.

The bizarre assumption that the EU will waive its standards on good imported from the UK

The EU will reduce its own taffifs on imports and it also ignores the differences in EU safety and quality standards on producer prices....

A pure Brexiteer fantasy...

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

Minford said there wouldn't be a recession after a vote to leave, proved 100% correct on that score while all the mainstream remain economists were proven wrong.

"Minford said there wouldn't be a recession after a vote to leave, proved 100% correct on that score while all the mainstream remain economists were proven wrong. "
yawn. That was Osbornes spin on numbers produced by the treasury which said there would be a negative effect compared to staying in.

We have since dropped from being a high growth member to a low growth.

Did Minford predict that ?

Cannock

"Minford said there wouldn't be a recession after a vote to leave, proved 100% correct on that score while all the mainstream remain economists were proven wrong. yawn. That was Osbornes spin on numbers produced by the treasury which said there would be a negative effect compared to staying in.

Did Minford predict that ?"

We're growing quicker than the Eurozone, but you already know this because it was pointed out to you on another thread. Eurozone growth in the 3rd quarter of 2018 was 0.2%, while 3rd quarter growth in the UK was 3 times higher at 0.6%.

"Minford said there wouldn't be a recession after a vote to leave, proved 100% correct on that score while all the mainstream remain economists were proven wrong. yawn. That was Osbornes spin on numbers produced by the treasury which said there would be a negative effect compared to staying in.

We're growing quicker than the Eurozone, but you already know this because it was pointed out to you on another thread. Eurozone growth in the 3rd quarter of 2018 was 0.2%, while 3rd quarter growth in the UK was 3 times higher at 0.6%. "

Ok so can you then explain to me why my material costs rising (5.4 percent from one supplier), the uncertainty of clients commissioning new orders and a diminishing number of quality foreign workers available to my business reflects your magic numbers? I mean maybe I’m just a crap businessman and brexit has nothing to do with it but then oh yes I have been running my own businesses for most of my adult life and only been on the dole for three weeks when I left college. Perhaps my personal experience doesn’t reflect the majority?

We're growing quicker than the Eurozone, but you already know this because it was pointed out to you on another thread. Eurozone growth in the 3rd quarter of 2018 was 0.2%, while 3rd quarter growth in the UK was 3 times higher at 0.6%. "

I was talking the period from brexit. Not one quarter in isolation. But you already know this as this has been covered in many threads.

I was also talking about us versus Eu countries (a fair comparison given we are leaving the Eu) not eurozone (as we are not in the euro)

Cannock

We're growing quicker than the Eurozone, but you already know this because it was pointed out to you on another thread. Eurozone growth in the 3rd quarter of 2018 was 0.2%, while 3rd quarter growth in the UK was 3 times higher at 0.6%.

Ok so can you then explain to me why my material costs rising (5.4 percent from one supplier), the uncertainty of clients commissioning new orders and a diminishing number of quality foreign workers available to my business reflects your magic numbers? I mean maybe I’m just a crap businessman and brexit has nothing to do with it but then oh yes I have been running my own businesses for most of my adult life and only been on the dole for three weeks when I left college. Perhaps my personal experience doesn’t reflect the majority?"

They're not "my magic numbers" they're the official numbers from the Office for national statistics. Numbers from the past which means they're facts and not some dreamt up wild guesses about the future which you seem determined to believe even when the ones doing the scaremongering have been comprehensively proved wrong with their past forecasts and predictions.

As for your claim of a diminishing number of quality 'foreign' workers, then why don't you employ some UK workers instead. If they don't have the skills then take on apprentices and train them up, it's not rocket science is it. If you can't figure this out then yes you do sound like a crap businessman.

Ok so can you then explain to me why my material costs rising (5.4 percent from one supplier), the uncertainty of clients commissioning new orders and a diminishing number of quality foreign workers available to my business reflects your magic numbers? I mean maybe I’m just a crap businessman and brexit has nothing to do with it but then oh yes I have been running my own businesses for most of my adult life and only been on the dole for three weeks when I left college. Perhaps my personal experience doesn’t reflect the majority?

They're not "my magic numbers" they're the official numbers from the Office for national statistics. Numbers from the past which means they're facts and not some dreamt up wild guesses about the future which you seem determined to believe even when the ones doing the scaremongering have been comprehensively proved wrong with their past forecasts and predictions.

As for your claim of a diminishing number of quality 'foreign' workers, then why don't you employ some UK workers instead. If they don't have the skills then take on apprentices and train them up, it's not rocket science is it. If you can't figure this out then yes you do sound like a crap businessman. "

Out of curiosity what do you do for a living?

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

Did Minford predict that ?"

So when Osborne said that a vote to leave, would produce an immediate, profound and deep recession, before we had even left, that was just 'Osborne's soin on numbers'? Osborne, the man in charge of the whole of the treasury and the economy of the UK, was merely 'playing with numbers' when his treasury produced a 94 page report that said that? And all the others, including Carney, who agreed with what he said, were just playing along with his little game as well?

And all the remainers believed it!

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

What is it that remainers do not get there is now enough evidence saying that people did not vote to leave on ecomomic grounds.

It seems remainers are selfish and non democratic and only care about there own pocket not the country.

I do believe that in the long run Mingford is right but after a bad down period.

If you go back to Thatcher the country went through bad times but came out leaner,fitter and stronger.This is not about 2019 it is about Britain for your children and grand children but remainers do not want to see the big picture

Cannock

"What is it that remainers do not get there is now enough evidence saying that people did not vote to leave on ecomomic grounds.

It seems remainers are selfish and non democratic and only care about there own pocket not the country.

I do believe that in the long run Mingford is right but after a bad down period.

If you go back to Thatcher the country went through bad times but came out leaner,fitter and stronger.This is not about 2019 it is about Britain for your children and grand children but remainers do not want to see the big picture"

It does seem as if remainers have learned absolutely nothing since 2016. They fought a referendum campaign and put all of their hopes on economic arguments.

They lost.

And yet here they are still thinking they can change people's minds with economic arguments.

As Einstein once said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

So when Osborne said that a vote to leave, would produce an immediate, profound and deep recession, before we had even left, that was just 'Osborne's soin on numbers'? Osborne, the man in charge of the whole of the treasury and the economy of the UK, was merely 'playing with numbers' when his treasury produced a 94 page report that said that? And all the others, including Carney, who agreed with what he said, were just playing along with his little game as well?

And all the remainers believed it! "

iirc it said there would be a reduction in gdp compared to staying in. Osborne made an assumption of what gdp would do if we stayed in, took off the difference, and had a recession.

I’ve not said the report didn’t say gdp growth would be reduced. I’m saying that to go from a relative difference to making statements about the absolute position was fool hardy and not how the main body of the analysis was presented.

If I were to say that, by working less overtime, I’d receive a £500 pa lower pay rise than if I did not, I would not be saying I’d be getting a pay cut. Not until I made a guess at what my pay rise would be if I carry on working the overtime.

"What is it that remainers do not get there is now enough evidence saying that people did not vote to leave on ecomomic grounds.

If you go back to Thatcher the country went through bad times but came out leaner,fitter and stronger.This is not about 2019 it is about Britain for your children and grand children but remainers do not want to see the big picture"

We sold off the states assets at bargain basement prices!

As for the futures of children - they have had freedom to choose where they can live, study and work in Europe - so how that's a benefit God only knows. Your deluded!

If you go back to Thatcher the country went through bad times but came out leaner,fitter and stronger.This is not about 2019 it is about Britain for your children and grand children but remainers do not want to see the big picture

It does seem as if remainers have learned absolutely nothing since 2016. They fought a referendum campaign and put all of their hopes on economic arguments.

They lost.

And yet here they are still thinking they can change people's minds with economic arguments.

As Einstein once said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. "

I don’t think it will. People either don’t believe the numbers (project fear), don’t understand what it means to them (what does a lower gdp growth mean to the man in the street) or accept the cost.

However, if one engages in economic arguments, then one needs to be able to defend their position. That’s what I pick up on. Even if I don’t agree with the numbers, i don’t like them being miss represented or dismissed without good reason. Despite Einstein’s game, he is also known for mistakes made where he simply didn’t like the answers the science was giving him.

"

As Einstein once said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. "

True in the sense that if people simply don't give a fuck about their own Countries economy like you have said before then debating views on economic harm is pointless but people that do care about their Countries economic prosperity will always try and hope to sway others to their side of the debate.

The word "Debate" doesn't figure with you but for many it does.

As for your claim of a diminishing number of quality 'foreign' workers, then why don't you employ some UK workers instead. If they don't have the skills then take on apprentices and train them up, it's not rocket science is it. If you can't figure this out then yes you do sound like a crap businessman. "

Ah you couldn’t resist it could you old thing. Wind you up and let you go, frothing at the mouth all the way. Well done mate, proved your self worth again!

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

They lost.

PRO-Brexit Tories have begged Theresa May to trigger the device that would blow Britain’s economic brains out.

Right wingers are exasperated that Britain is still functioning and want out as soon as possible so the country can die an honourable death.

Bill McKay, chairman of the Conservative pressure group Suicide Means Suicide said: “Every week Britain stays in the EU is another week in which we’re paying an imaginary £350 million to Brussels which could go to the NHS, except that it wouldn’t, even if that wasn’t a made-up figure. It is insane.”

International trade secretary Liam Fox said: “Outside the EU, we’d have the chance to show the world what can be done once all our car manufacturers had relocated abroad and our tech and finance businesses moved to Paris and Gemany.

“Brexit is a window of opportunity, just waiting for us to leap out of and plunge to our deaths from the 93rd floor.”

He added: “We’re shit at business anyway. Let’s all become Olympic cyclists.”

I wouldn't mind as much if the crap the daily Mush posted was even remotely amusing

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

Of course there was no collateral damage from the Thatcher years. No mass unemployment, no social unrest, whole communities werent screwed over. Tbh, youre not selling this very well

Of course there was no collateral damage from the Thatcher years. No mass unemployment, no social unrest, whole communities werent screwed over. Tbh, youre not selling this very well"

We swapped our economic model from manufacturing to services - what a brilliant idea - NOT!

Yep it broke the unions though and put us all into debt and we got a few pence for shipping out of date production equipment to the third world. It’s ok though, we can be like Gibraltar soon, virtually no tax revenue, dodgy companies set up to launder money, and reliant on cross border trade in alcohol, tobacco and perfume. Oh but then again how are we going to pay for the nhs, education and unemployment benefit? Applying to be job centre staff never looked so attractive.

» Add a new message to this topic