FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Vote Labour for sympathy strikes

Vote Labour for sympathy strikes

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"

John McDonnell has said Labour would allow UK workers to go on "sympathy" strikes for overseas counterparts.

Shadow chancellor Mr McDonnell pledged to reverse laws, introduced by Margaret Thatcher, which bar workers from taking action in solidarity with workforces overseas

"

I honestly don't see this as a vote winner on anything other than small scale.

With the Tories firmly in self destruct mode Labour instead of soaring ahead seem intent on their own version of destruction.

Or do you see this as a big vote winner ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Bloody hell they would just take turns in striking

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"

John McDonnell has said Labour would allow UK workers to go on "sympathy" strikes for overseas counterparts.

Shadow chancellor Mr McDonnell pledged to reverse laws, introduced by Margaret Thatcher, which bar workers from taking action in solidarity with workforces overseas

With the Tories firmly in self destruct mode Labour instead of soaring ahead seem intent on their own version of destruction.

Or do you see this as a big vote winner ?"

Pathetic

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

In the union movement, the Rolls Royce workers of East Kilbride are folklore.

They refused to service engines for warplanes used by Pinochet to crush his own people in the 1970s.

That was the context in which McDonnell spoke in Scotland.

Today’s analogy would be BAe Systems workers refusing to build missiles for the Saudis to use in Yemen.

"In the union movement, the Rolls Royce workers of East Kilbride are folklore.

They refused to service engines for warplanes used by Pinochet to crush his own people in the 1970s.

That was the context in which McDonnell spoke in Scotland.

Today’s analogy would be BAe Systems workers refusing to build missiles for the Saudis to use in Yemen."

Trades unionism is an international thing. Workers from all countries showing support for each other .

The Tories are making such a mess of things that Labour think they can get away with reverting to their craziest 70’s and 80’s days. The LibDims are no threat, but a new party could emerge and wipe the floor with the lot of them.

In today’s political climate it would be no surprise...

The old system is falling to bits! A new system and new parties are required! The tribalism of first past the post has passed it's sell by date! It doesn't represent the votes cast and also let's cull parliament to around 400 MP'S.

"The Tories are making such a mess of things that Labour think they can get away with reverting to their craziest 70’s and 80’s days. The LibDims are no threat, but a new party could emerge and wipe the floor with the lot of them.

In today’s political climate it would be no surprise..."

I think that's exactly what is needed.

It has to be admitted these are such dangerous times...The political parties and the rebels within have let the Fascist, Nationalist,Momentum tiger out of the bottle and have no idea how to deal with it.

"

Or do you see this as a big vote winner ?"

Poor move i reckon

To quote Napoleon

"don't disturb the enemy, when they're busy making mistakes "

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

It is called taking back control (brexit's claim to fame). Why should the government or anyone else tell me when I can and cant refuse to work? Or are we looking at the usual double standards in UK politics?

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

"The old system is falling to bits! A new system and new parties are required! The tribalism of first past the post has passed it's sell by date! It doesn't represent the votes cast and also let's cull parliament to around 400 MP'S. "

The new split will be the old split but with an isolationist/internationalist overlay.

5 parties and permanent coalition like...most of Europe

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

Don't think much of any party at the moment.

All of their selfish actions have brought us here except, ironically, the LibDems, who had the least influence on today's disaster because they were punished so severely for a historically tiny policy decision.

"It is called taking back control (brexit's claim to fame). Why should the government or anyone else tell me when I can and cant refuse to work? Or are we looking at the usual double standards in UK politics?"

Striking because of how your company is treating you is one thing, striking because of how a company in another country is treating theirs is another.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"Striking because of how your company is treating you is one thing, striking because of how a company in another country is treating theirs is another."

Is it?

What if the company you work for supports the company that mistreats their workers in another country? What if the other company is owned by your company?

The fact is employers and employment law works on a system of divide and conquer. Only when labour (workers not the Labour party) can unite across an industry, country and world does there ever become an even playing field when it comes to economic power. Now I am not for unrestricted union power, but there has to be a real balance and what we have now is not that!

"Striking because of how your company is treating you is one thing, striking because of how a company in another country is treating theirs is another.

Is it?

What if the company you work for supports the company that mistreats their workers in another country? What if the other company is owned by your company?

The fact is employers and employment law works on a system of divide and conquer. Only when labour (workers not the Labour party) can unite across an industry, country and world does there ever become an even playing field when it comes to economic power. Now I am not for unrestricted union power, but there has to be a real balance and what we have now is not that!"

Well stand by for strikes galore then when people decide they want some days off and strike over wages in Mozambique, China, Philippines, India, Afghanistan etc etc etc

Bristol East

Seriously, folks?

I cannot think of any workforce that is going to walk out because, say, the underwear factory in Lahore is striking for an extra tuppence an hour.

It did not happen before the anti-union legislation so why would it happen now?

It is not what McDonnell said either.

He was referring to the Rolls Royce workers who refused to work on a contract for the Pinochet regime.

Remember him? The butcher who was Thatcher's favourite tyrannt?

Bristol East

If you want to know more about the context - the solidarity of Rolls Royce workers with people being tortured and executed by the CIA-back junta - there is a fascinating documentary currently on BBC Iplayer.

It brings together the workers, the victims and the military for the first time in the same programme.

"Nae Pasaran"

Those workers saved lives. They did not know it at the time.

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

"The Tories are making such a mess of things that Labour think they can get away with reverting to their craziest 70’s and 80’s days. The LibDims are no threat, but a new party could emerge and wipe the floor with the lot of them.

In today’s political climate it would be no surprise..."

what new party. You mean the saboteur party. I hope they all get their just desserts at the next election. They can all then go for a farewell party at nandos

» Add a new message to this topic