FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > The old HMRC pie chart thingy

The old HMRC pie chart thingy

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oncupiscentTony OP   Man  over a year ago

Kent

You know the one, the breakdown of where and how much of your income tax has been spent. Well I got one today and was interested to see just how much membership of the EU is costing me personally, now I lead a fairly humble lifestyle so without getting into the ins and outs of my personal income (because frankly that's my business and nobody else's) in the last tax year I paid a staggering £58 towards the UK's membership of the EU. FIFTY BLOODY EIGHT POUNDS!, I could donate just £3 a month to the donkey sanctuary and still have enough left to take out life insurance that I've paid more for a cup of coffee for, can't wait for the savings post March 29.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

How much has the devaluation of sterling cost you?

A lot more than £58, I imagine.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"How much has the devaluation of sterling cost you?

A lot more than £58, I imagine."

sssssshhh you'll wake the kids

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

Where do you want to start?

Lets take devaluation of the pound then.

Assume you make the median UK salary of 27,300. Let's take 20% off for tax. I know it is more complicated than that, but let's pretend for now.

= £21,840

The GBP/EUR rate was around 1.28 at the time of the referendum. It is now around 1.12.

Lets take a wild guess that 10% of your income goes towards buying things that are sourced from the EU. So that is £2,184 of goods/services.

That £2,184 is now able to buy 1.12 / 1.29 of what you could before = 13% more expensive.

13% of £2,184 = £283

So the devaluation alone has 'cost' you £283.

That is before we take into the costs of things. A new visa is going to cost you £6.29 for 3 years.If you need an IDP to drive it will cost you a few quid. Your insurance is likely to go up. Every airline has had to spend to re-register int he EU and sort things out. You food is going to be more expensive if we have more friction on the border. We've already spent god knows how much on the paperworks of all this. The list goes on. And it all adds up.

In short, Brexit is going to cost you a hell of a lot more than £58.

-Matt

By *losguygl3Man  over a year ago

Gloucester

"Where do you want to start?

Lets take devaluation of the pound then.

Assume you make the median UK salary of 27,300. Let's take 20% off for tax. I know it is more complicated than that, but let's pretend for now.

= £21,840

The GBP/EUR rate was around 1.28 at the time of the referendum. It is now around 1.12.

Lets take a wild guess that 10% of your income goes towards buying things that are sourced from the EU. So that is £2,184 of goods/services.

That £2,184 is now able to buy 1.12 / 1.29 of what you could before = 13% more expensive.

13% of £2,184 = £283

So the devaluation alone has 'cost' you £283.

That is before we take into the costs of things. A new visa is going to cost you £6.29 for 3 years.If you need an IDP to drive it will cost you a few quid. Your insurance is likely to go up. Every airline has had to spend to re-register int he EU and sort things out. You food is going to be more expensive if we have more friction on the border. We've already spent god knows how much on the paperworks of all this. The list goes on. And it all adds up.

In short, Brexit is going to cost you a hell of a lot more than £58.

-Matt"

Sshhh!!! You can't go using logic and reason in a Brexit discussion! You have to just scream Rule Britannia at anybody who doesn't just blindly think that trying to regress the country 40 years in a modern integrated global world is a good idea!

By *oncupiscentTony OP   Man  over a year ago

Kent

" In short, Brexit is going to cost you a hell of a lot more than £58.

-Matt "

That's exactly my point!, beyond all the £350bn and £39bn nonsense figures the day in day out cost of EU membership is personally little more than a quid a week to me (and I'd hazard a guess that or somewhere close extrapolates to the vast majority) for all the benefits, the slice of pie was so small it didn't even merit it's own key colour.

" In short, Brexit is going to cost you a hell of a lot more than £58.

-Matt

That's exactly my point!, beyond all the £350bn and £39bn nonsense figures the day in day out cost of EU membership is personally little more than a quid a week to me (and I'd hazard a guess that or somewhere close extrapolates to the vast majority) for all the benefits, the slice of pie was so small it didn't even merit it's own key colour."

Also if you looked how much health cost on the chart you'd also realise 350m isn't actually that much.

And if all goes to plan your job will go awol too.

Factor that into the equation.

Bristol East

I think £58 is very good value for the money.

"And if all goes to plan your job will go awol too.

Factor that into the equation."

Anyone seen Centaur?

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

Anyone seen Centaur?"

You seem to ask this a lot on various threads. Have you developed some sort of weird crush on me?

And for what it's worth I think the EU is a complete waste of money. I resent having to pay a single penny towards it.

Anyone seen Centaur?

You seem to ask this a lot on various threads. Have you developed some sort of weird crush on me?

And for what it's worth I think the EU is a complete waste of money. I resent having to pay a single penny towards it. "

It become obvious that it's worth more to the country hasn't it?

Anyone seen Centaur?

And for what it's worth I think the EU is a complete waste of money. I resent having to pay a single penny towards it.

It become obvious that it's worth more to the country hasn't it? "

No crush, just my way of getting you to post on stuff you wouldn't usually touch with a shitty stick!

Cannock

Anyone seen Centaur?

It become obvious that it's worth more to the country hasn't it? "

No. It's how individuals feel about it and as an individual I don't think it's worth the money. I don't want to pay a single penny towards it and 17.4 Million individual leave voters it seems would agree with me. It's called democracy and you lost.

Anyone seen Centaur?

No. It's how individuals feel about it and as an individual I don't think it's worth the money. I don't want to pay a single penny towards it and 17.4 Million individual leave voters it seems would agree with me. It's called democracy and you lost. "

The funny thing about democracy is that it's not a one-time event, but a process.

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

Howay Eddie you know you get a little pulse when centy is on here don’t be embarrassed lol

Anyone seen Centaur?

No. It's how individuals feel about it and as an individual I don't think it's worth the money. I don't want to pay a single penny towards it and 17.4 Million individual leave voters it seems would agree with me. It's called democracy and you lost. "

You lost...all you really have.

Cannock

Anyone seen Centaur?

No. It's how individuals feel about it and as an individual I don't think it's worth the money. I don't want to pay a single penny towards it and 17.4 Million individual leave voters it seems would agree with me. It's called democracy and you lost.

The funny thing about democracy is that it's not a one-time event, but a process.

"

A process of implementing a result of a democratic vote before you can hold another one on the same issue. Which means we leave before you can have another vote. You may not like it but that's the way it is.

"Howay Eddie you know you get a little pulse when centy is on here don’t be embarrassed lol"

If I did have those tendencies I'd like to think I'd have a lot better taste.

Anyone seen Centaur?

A process of implementing a result of a democratic vote before you can hold another one on the same issue. Which means we leave before you can have another vote. You may not like it but that's the way it is. "

So when it fucks up a least we can go back without all the current benefits is what you're saying?

Anyone seen Centaur?

A process of implementing a result of a democratic vote before you can hold another one on the same issue. Which means we leave before you can have another vote. You may not like it but that's the way it is. "

Actually that's not the way it is, we don't live in a plebiscite, but in a parliamentary democracy. Parliament is sovereign and could stop all this tomorrow without so much as asking the public.

And since one government can't bind the next, Cameron's "once in a lifetime" rubbish is moot.

thornaby

So why don’t they then if it’s so simple ?

Anyone seen Centaur?

A process of implementing a result of a democratic vote before you can hold another one on the same issue. Which means we leave before you can have another vote. You may not like it but that's the way it is.

Actually that's not the way it is, we don't live in a plebiscite, but in a parliamentary democracy. Parliament is sovereign and could stop all this tomorrow without so much as asking the public.

And since one government can't bind the next, Cameron's "once in a lifetime" rubbish is moot.

"

They don't usually say parliamentary before democracy mate!! Doesn't suit them

"So why don’t they then if it’s so simple ?"
Because they put their job before their country. A leave constituency would understandably boot out their MP at the first possible opportunity if they are seen to reject 'the will of the people" (Load of bollocks that quote is as well)

Yet it's alright for someone like Mogg who represents a remain constituency to go full retard on 'no deal'

thornaby

"So why don’t they then if it’s so simple ?Because they put their job before their country. A leave constituency would understandably boot out their MP at the first possible opportunity if they are seen to reject 'the will of the people" (Load of bollocks that quote is as well)

Yet it's alright for someone like Mogg who represents a remain constituency to go full retard on 'no deal' "

like the full north east and most of the north you mean I can see labour suffering badly in the north if they push for a second vote

"So why don’t they then if it’s so simple ?Because they put their job before their country. A leave constituency would understandably boot out their MP at the first possible opportunity if they are seen to reject 'the will of the people" (Load of bollocks that quote is as well)

Yet it's alright for someone like Mogg who represents a remain constituency to go full retard on 'no deal' like the full north east and most of the north you mean I can see labour suffering badly in the north if they push for a second vote "

Not sure he's on about a second vote, maybe more politicians doing their job and actually acting in people's and the country s interests.

thornaby

The ppl voted leave and isn’t that what they are trying to do act in the intrest of 17-4 mil

Yet it's alright for someone like Mogg who represents a remain constituency to go full retard on 'no deal' like the full north east and most of the north you mean I can see labour suffering badly in the north if they push for a second vote "

Research suggest that leave heartlands like the north east are swinging back to remain as reality starts to hit. And where are labour voters going to go? tory? nope. UKIP can't afford to run a full campaign.

"The ppl voted leave and isn’t that what they are trying to do act in the intrest of 17-4 mil "

Their job is to act in the interest of 65million

"The ppl voted leave and isn’t that what they are trying to do act in the intrest of 17-4 mil "

People don't always vote in their intrest?....the conservative party basically is set up for the top 10% of society but often gets elected.

thornaby

"The ppl voted leave and isn’t that what they are trying to do act in the intrest of 17-4 mil

Their job is to act in the interest of 65million"

aw Okies then forget the vote infact scrap voteing alltogether ah but then how will they know what the ppl want Okies just do a poll ah but polls are shite as we all know now ah fuck it just leaveit all upto them that’s what we pay them for

"The ppl voted leave and isn’t that what they are trying to do act in the intrest of 17-4 mil

Their job is to act in the interest of 65millionaw Okies then forget the vote infact scrap voteing alltogether ah but then how will they know what the ppl want Okies just do a poll ah but polls are shite as we all know now ah fuck it just leaveit all upto them that’s what we pay them for "

Thats it, you've figured out why referendums are a terrible idea.

Their job is to act in the interest of 65millionaw Okies then forget the vote infact scrap voteing alltogether ah but then how will they know what the ppl want Okies just do a poll ah but polls are shite as we all know now ah fuck it just leaveit all upto them that’s what we pay them for "

Jesus, that's a hard read.

thornaby

Sorry mate ..... left them out and it . Is that easier for ya lol

Cannock

Yet it's alright for someone like Mogg who represents a remain constituency to go full retard on 'no deal' like the full north east and most of the north you mean I can see labour suffering badly in the north if they push for a second vote

Research suggest that leave heartlands like the north east are swinging back to remain as reality starts to hit. And where are labour voters going to go? tory? nope. UKIP can't afford to run a full campaign."

Research? You mean polling? Like the polling which pointed towards a hung parliament in the 2015 general election but when the real result came in Cameron's tory party won a majority. Like the polling which pointed heavily towards a remain win before the EU referendum in 2016, but was wrong and Leave won. Like the polling which pointed towards Hillary Clinton winning the Presidential election in 2016, but was wrong and Donald Trump won. Doesn't seem like a very reliable indicator does it this polling malarkey.

Yet it's alright for someone like Mogg who represents a remain constituency to go full retard on 'no deal' like the full north east and most of the north you mean I can see labour suffering badly in the north if they push for a second vote

Research suggest that leave heartlands like the north east are swinging back to remain as reality starts to hit. And where are labour voters going to go? tory? nope. UKIP can't afford to run a full campaign.

Research? You mean polling? Like the polling which pointed towards a hung parliament in the 2015 general election but when the real result came in Cameron's tory party won a majority. Like the polling which pointed heavily towards a remain win before the EU referendum in 2016, but was wrong and Leave won. Like the polling which pointed towards Hillary Clinton winning the Presidential election in 2016, but was wrong and Donald Trump won. Doesn't seem like a very reliable indicator does it this polling malarkey. "

Actually one or two polls did predict the hung parliament, polls predicted a leave win in the final week or so prior to the referendum (within margin of error) and there were also polls predicting Trump's victory. But hey, facts.

thornaby

Research suggest that leave heartlands like the north east are swinging back to remain as reality starts to hit. And where are labour voters going to go? tory? nope. UKIP can't afford to run a full campaign."

bloody hell would have to be a huge swing back some were 70/30 or there abouts lol

[Removed by poster at 21/12/18 15:40:36]

Research? You mean polling? Like the polling which pointed towards a hung parliament in the 2015 general election but when the real result came in Cameron's tory party won a majority. Like the polling which pointed heavily towards a remain win before the EU referendum in 2016, but was wrong and Leave won. Like the polling which pointed towards Hillary Clinton winning the Presidential election in 2016, but was wrong and Donald Trump won. Doesn't seem like a very reliable indicator does it this polling malarkey. "

IPSOS mori, yougov and survation all had polls predicting a leave win in mid-June 2016.

Research suggest that leave heartlands like the north east are swinging back to remain as reality starts to hit. And where are labour voters going to go? tory? nope. UKIP can't afford to run a full campaign. bloody hell would have to be a huge swing back some were 70/30 or there abouts lol "

I imagine Nissan moving production would swing that back quite rapidly, as one example.

Cannock

Research? You mean polling? Like the polling which pointed towards a hung parliament in the 2015 general election but when the real result came in Cameron's tory party won a majority. Like the polling which pointed heavily towards a remain win before the EU referendum in 2016, but was wrong and Leave won. Like the polling which pointed towards Hillary Clinton winning the Presidential election in 2016, but was wrong and Donald Trump won. Doesn't seem like a very reliable indicator does it this polling malarkey.

Actually one or two polls did predict the hung parliament, polls predicted a leave win in the final week or so prior to the referendum (within margin of error) and there were also polls predicting Trump's victory. But hey, facts. "

It wasn't a hung parliament though Cameron won a majority.

As for polls in the final week of the referendum you may want to check out the Populous poll which was released on the eve of the referendum and gave remain a 10 point lead over leave, way beyond the margin of error. As I said not reliable enough for you to think remain now have a majority.

Actually one or two polls did predict the hung parliament, polls predicted a leave win in the final week or so prior to the referendum (within margin of error) and there were also polls predicting Trump's victory. But hey, facts.

It wasn't a hung parliament though Cameron won a majority.

As for polls in the final week of the referendum you may want to check out the Populous poll which was released on the eve of the referendum and gave remain a 10 point lead over leave, way beyond the margin of error. As I said not reliable enough for you to think remain now have a majority. "

Sorry, my mistake - i was confused with 2017 where a few pollsters predicted a hung parliament.

You can't rely on one poll from one company and use it to back up anything as' evidence' - polling is accrued data with outliers.

the vast majority of post referendum polls has had a remain lead in the event of a second referendum - that's hard to ignore. You can argue the merits of polling, you can say 'the will of the people' or some such, but that's data - and it suggests that remainers are now the majority.

Of course the only way to actually test 'the will of the people' is to have either a general election with one party standing on remain and one on leave (though that would be messy with many other factors involved) or to have a second referendum - perhaps with 3 options and an alternative vote or knockout system so as not to bias one side or the other.

thornaby

Research suggest that leave heartlands like the north east are swinging back to remain as reality starts to hit. And where are labour voters going to go? tory? nope. UKIP can't afford to run a full campaign. bloody hell would have to be a huge swing back some were 70/30 or there abouts lol

I imagine Nissan moving production would swing that back quite rapidly, as one example."

are Nissan moving production then are you predicting lots of jobs leaving the northeast ? Or is this one of them IFs

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Anyone seen Centaur?

But where is that set in stone?

We have voted out parties before they have implemented policies they stood on in a manifesto time after time, just where was it written in the rules of the none binding referendum that it is how your imagination now assumes?

By *ex4unowCouple  over a year ago

near you

I think people can fib about what they really vote

S h o c k

Lol

When we eventually leave the EU, I look forward to actually seeing the results. I don’t mind if I lose a few quid, tbh I ain’t got a lot to lose. I am certain that any losses made will be short term, and that when we regain our foothold things will just keep getting better.

I hope the remoaners continue moaning though, otherwise it’s going to be soooo very quiet...

"When we eventually leave the EU, I look forward to actually seeing the results. I don’t mind if I lose a few quid, tbh I ain’t got a lot to lose. I am certain that any losses made will be short term, and that when we regain our foothold things will just keep getting better.

I hope the remoaners continue moaning though, otherwise it’s going to be soooo very quiet..."

I find the first bit of your statement one I can’t get my head around. Those with the least to lose are those who can’t afford to lose the little they have. The elite can take a hefty pay cut and still be okay. Many have savings to cover any period of unemployment.

But i suspect many at the other end of the scale (based on my closest) struggle to make ends meet day in, day out. So will struggle with stagnant wages or inflation. Let alone unemployment. Even for a short period.

The thread on homeless talks about universal credit and the forces. I missed the bit where millionaires were homeless.

For you, those I know, and the others, I hope there is nowhere near any of the down turn many are forecasting. Because even short term pain will be hard for those. And even if we as a country bounce back “on average” I fear there will be many left behind.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's funny how the thread 'progressed' from £58 per year, to an unquantified loss, for an unquantified number of years isn't it! Notwithstanding the £billions it's already cost to potentially leave

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple  over a year ago

Dudley

"It's funny how the thread 'progressed' from £58 per year, to an unquantified loss, for an unquantified number of years isn't it! Notwithstanding the £billions it's already cost to potentially leave "

The £58 (if that is the correct figure) was cost per person so that was a negative too!

Bristol East

Their job is to act in the interest of 65million"

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

Anyone seen Centaur?"

You've summoned the BREXIT genie!

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

Anyone seen Centaur?

And for what it's worth I think the EU is a complete waste of money. I resent having to pay a single penny towards it. "

And PUFF, as if by magic, he appears!!

» Add a new message to this topic