FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Through parliament

Through parliament

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

If a president or prime minister wants to bring a new law into the land then she or he needs to get it through parliament etc. This requires lots of promises or favours owed further down the line.

Wouldn't it make more sense to do a public vote on every major issue rather than letting the slippery, self interest first politicians do as they wish?

For example

Gay marriage public vote

Tax rise public vote

Overseas aid public vote

You catch the idea

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Surely Brexit proves the average person should not be asked to vote on political issues! We vote for politicians to represent us in the house and that’s what they should do.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"Surely Brexit proves the average person should not be asked to vote on political issues! We vote for politicians to represent us in the house and that’s what they should do. "

"They should do but they don't" hence why Brexit happened, the pubic have had enough. We also don't know if Brexit will be a bad thing.

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

"If a president or prime minister wants to bring a new law into the land then she or he needs to get it through parliament etc. This requires lots of promises or favours owed further down the line.

Wouldn't it make more sense to do a public vote on every major issue rather than letting the slippery, self interest first politicians do as they wish?

For example

Gay marriage public vote

Tax rise public vote

Overseas aid public vote

You catch the idea "

Because the average person does not have the knowledge or time/experience to deal with all this. You could argue that the politicians are not doing a great job either. But I'd rather the politicians be held to account, than try to get the general public up to speed on all everything.

-Matt

By *verysmileMan  over a year ago

CANTERBURY

To remove a layer of politicians and then allow the public to vote?

Who decides what we vote on and what is forced on us by dictate?

We cannot vote on every issue as it would tie us all up in knots and be very costly. The country would grind to a halt.

I would prefer our elected representatives to actually earn their money.

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

Works ok for Switzerland. They're not in the EU and they have regular referendums on a lot of different things.

"Works ok for Switzerland. They're not in the EU and they have regular referendums on a lot of different things. "

I quite like the sound of the Swiss model, just looked it up.

Though it may be easier for the Swiss due to their low eligible voter numbers but can't see why that should stop us being able to model on that.

By *uck-RogersMan  over a year ago

Portland

"Surely Brexit proves the average person should not be asked to vote on political issues! We vote for politicians to represent us in the house and that’s what they should do. "

I want a benevolent dictator guided by a team of philosophers all operating under the hammurabi code.

"I want a benevolent dictator guided by a team of philosophers all operating under the hammurabi code.

"

I would prefer a technocracy and replace the philosophers with technocrats.

The Singapore model is better than the Swiss model and the Ancient Greek form of democracy but could be improved .upon of course.

By *verysmileMan  over a year ago

CANTERBURY

"I want a benevolent dictator guided by a team of philosophers all operating under the hammurabi code.

The Singapore model is better than the Swiss model and the Ancient Greek form of democracy but could be improved .upon of course."

Drawing lots...now that would give us a really random selection of representatives.

The Singapore model is better than the Swiss model and the Ancient Greek form of democracy but could be improved .upon of course.

Drawing lots...now that would give us a really random selection of representatives. "

I'm not really bothered who runs the country as long as they are the best in each field they wish to govern.

No more referendums.

This is the worst idea. The public are too easily convinced to vote against their own interests and against the interests of the country.

Brexit. Case closed.

I wonder how the Swiss would have run the brexit referendum... I suspect very differently.

The Singapore model is better than the Swiss model and the Ancient Greek form of democracy but could be improved .upon of course."

Yeah Elon Musk - strong and stable.

Google - kind and caring

Zuckerberg - Just wants to spread the love

"No more referendums.

This is the worst idea. The public are too easily convinced to vote against their own interests and against the interests of the country.

Brexit. Case closed.

"

But but but people died to get the vote.

I agree you...the public can't make sweeping economic decisions without fucking things up

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

"I wonder how the Swiss would have run the brexit referendum... I suspect very differently. "

Yep indeed, the referendum would have been something like:

To give the government a mandate to establish terms and conditions of leaving the EU - yes or no

Then when a deal is on the table it would be a further referendum: to leave the EU with the deal given - yes or no

"No more referendums.

Brexit. Case closed.

I agree you...the public can't make sweeping economic decisions without fucking things up "

I’m not saying that the government are great, or any specific party are better. But they’re supposed to have government departments behind them to research and advise on the best course of action.

The public had the likes of the Daily Mail, Express and their campaigns of hate. Or indeed on the other side, the remain campaign was terrible. It should have been the easiest referendum in the history of the planet to win. All they had to do was present the facts.

It’s a terrible way to make such important decisions.

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

A referendum is always a terrible idea when the result doesn’t go the way you wanted it would you feel the same way about referendums if the result was remain I doubt it very much

"A referendum is always a terrible idea when the result doesn’t go the way you wanted it would you feel the same way about referendums if the result was remain I doubt it very much "

Yes, I would. It's politician abdicating their duty.

"A referendum is always a terrible idea when the result doesn’t go the way you wanted it would you feel the same way about referendums if the result was remain I doubt it very much "

If the people had made the right decision then maybe I’d feel different.

But in this instance when the result is so clearly in the interest of one or two ultra rich and bad for every aspect of life for all the rest of the people of the uk. You have to say it wasnt the right thing to do to put this decision to the people in the form of a refarendum.

This should be the nail in the coffin for any future decisions of this magnitude going out to the people for a direct vote.

thornaby

So if the vote had gone your way you may feel diffrent lol so a referendum is good if it’s the way you voted bad if it isn’t lol absalote quallity

Cannock

"No more referendums.

Brexit. Case closed.

"

How do you know what my interests are? You don't speak for my interests.

Case closed.

"So if the vote had gone your way you may feel diffrent lol so a referendum is good if it’s the way you voted bad if it isn’t lol absalote quallity "

It’s not about what why I voted. It’s about what’s right for the country and for the people.

Cannock

"No more referendums.

Brexit. Case closed.

I agree you...the public can't make sweeping economic decisions without fucking things up "

The Brexit vote wasn't only about economics though was it.

"No more referendums.

Brexit. Case closed.

Case closed. "

Your interests and beliefs are very clear. And I exclude you from this, being pretty much the last person in the country who believes in the Brexit fairy and magic money.

Merry Christmas to you, you crazy man.

"No more referendums.

Brexit. Case closed.

I agree you...the public can't make sweeping economic decisions without fucking things up

The Brexit vote wasn't only about economics though was it. "

Ahhh....Sovereignty & Democracy, come get your bingo cards out! Project Fear for a full house.

Cannock

"No more referendums.

Brexit. Case closed.

I’m not saying that the government are great, or any specific party are better. But they’re supposed to have government departments behind them to research and advise on the best course of action.

The public had the likes of the Daily Mail, Express and their campaigns of hate. Or indeed on the other side, the remain campaign was terrible. It should have been the easiest referendum in the history of the planet to win. All they had to do was present the facts.

It’s a terrible way to make such important decisions. "

The remain campaign tried to make a positive case for the EU, but they couldn't. So they resorted to project fear instead, that also failed. I think these 2 examples highlight just how shit the EU really is.

You make it sound one sided when you say leave had newspapers like the Daily Mail and the Express on their side. The reality is Leave was always the underdog of the two campaigns. Remain had all the tools of government at its disposal, remember the pro EU £9 million quid taxpayer funded leaflet Cameron sent out to every house in the country, the leave campaign never had that luxury. You also had pro EU propaganda on government websites. Remain also had newspapers like the Guardian, the FT and the Daily Mirror backing them. All of the main political parties officially backed remain. The only party that officially backed leave was ukip. You had big business backing remain and you still lost.

Cannock

Too true

Things like this just highlight who the sore losers are in society.

"No more referendums.

Brexit. Case closed.

The Brexit vote wasn't only about economics though was it. "

While is suspect it wasn’t because of gdp, inflation and other economics 101 many don’t truely understand, a lot of it was about money. After all a big monetary number was put on a big bus.

"No more referendums.

Brexit. Case closed.

It’s a terrible way to make such important decisions.

The remain campaign tried to make a positive case for the EU, but they couldn't. So they resorted to project fear instead, that also failed. I think these 2 examples highlight just how shit the EU really is.

You make it sound one sided when you say leave had newspapers like the Daily Mail and the Express on their side. The reality is Leave was always the underdog of the two campaigns. Remain had all the tools of government at its disposal, remember the pro EU £9 million quid taxpayer funded leaflet Cameron sent out to every house in the country, the leave campaign never had that luxury. You also had pro EU propaganda on government websites. Remain also had newspapers like the Guardian, the FT and the Daily Mirror backing them. All of the main political parties officially backed remain. The only party that officially backed leave was ukip. You had big business backing remain and you still lost. "

BINGO!!!!!!!

Cannock

"So if the vote had gone your way you may feel diffrent lol so a referendum is good if it’s the way you voted bad if it isn’t lol absalote quallity

It’s not about what why I voted. It’s about what’s right for the country and for the people."

You don't speak for all the people though. You certainly don't speak for me.

"A referendum is always a terrible idea when the result doesn’t go the way you wanted it would you feel the same way about referendums if the result was remain I doubt it very much

Too true

Things like this just highlight who the sore losers are in society. "

ANd I doubt many leavers would be so positive about referendums if they’d lost. After all, many hate the idea of a second one.

thornaby

"No more referendums.

Brexit. Case closed.

While is suspect it wasn’t because of gdp, inflation and other economics 101 many don’t truely understand, a lot of it was about money. After all a big monetary number was put on a big bus. "

so you think 17-4 million were fooled by a red bus come on mate yr better than that arnt ya lol

Cannock

"No more referendums.

Brexit. Case closed.

Case closed.

Your interests and beliefs are very clear. And I exclude you from this, being pretty much the last person in the country who believes in the Brexit fairy and magic money.

Merry Christmas to you, you crazy man. "

The last person in the country? There are plenty of others on this forum who support Brexit besides me. Most National Polls are still within the 45-55% margin on both sides when it comes to leaving the EU so still not far from the original 52-48% result.....which you lost.

"No more referendums.

Brexit. Case closed.

While is suspect it wasn’t because of gdp, inflation and other economics 101 many don’t truely understand, a lot of it was about money. After all a big monetary number was put on a big bus. so you think 17-4 million were fooled by a red bus come on mate yr better than that arnt ya lol "

He's certainly better at using decimal points and English.

"No more referendums.

Brexit. Case closed.

Case closed.

The last person in the country? There are plenty of others on this forum who support Brexit besides me. Most National Polls are still within the 45-55% margin on both sides when it comes to leaving the EU so still not far from the original 52-48% result.....which you lost. "

Do you just type and not think?

Cannock

"No more referendums.

Brexit. Case closed.

While is suspect it wasn’t because of gdp, inflation and other economics 101 many don’t truely understand, a lot of it was about money. After all a big monetary number was put on a big bus. so you think 17-4 million were fooled by a red bus come on mate yr better than that arnt ya lol

He's certainly better at using decimal points and English."

Pedant alert, the spelling police are out again.

Cannock

"No more referendums.

Brexit. Case closed.

Case closed.

The last person in the country? There are plenty of others on this forum who support Brexit besides me. Most National Polls are still within the 45-55% margin on both sides when it comes to leaving the EU so still not far from the original 52-48% result.....which you lost.

Do you just type and not think? "

Do you ever post anything relevant?

"No more referendums.

Brexit. Case closed.

Case closed.

The last person in the country? There are plenty of others on this forum who support Brexit besides me. Most National Polls are still within the 45-55% margin on both sides when it comes to leaving the EU so still not far from the original 52-48% result.....which you lost. "

Indeed, plenty of Brexit supports and plenty of them on here. You’ll notice that they have all long since given up any kind of argument that suggests there will be any positives in this for the uk and they have fallen back on other points which could be described as “subjective” at best.

You appear to be the only person left anywhere with arguments that we will some how magically be better off.

Also, you keep saying “you lost” in various contexts. We all lost, except for the ultra rich 0.0001% who will continue to rule over us, and now without the “red tape” of environmental protection and workers rights.

thornaby

"No more referendums.

Brexit. Case closed.

While is suspect it wasn’t because of gdp, inflation and other economics 101 many don’t truely understand, a lot of it was about money. After all a big monetary number was put on a big bus. so you think 17-4 million were fooled by a red bus come on mate yr better than that arnt ya lol

Pedant alert, the spelling police are out again. "

what does he expect tho I’m a dumb northerner iv been out all morning waching me whippet run about down near the pit while eating me peaspudding sarnie lol

Cannock

"No more referendums.

Brexit. Case closed.

Case closed.

Indeed, plenty of Brexit supports and plenty of them on here. You’ll notice that they have all long since given up any kind of argument that suggests there will be any positives in this for the uk and they have fallen back on other points which could be described as “subjective” at best.

You appear to be the only person left anywhere with arguments that we will some how magically be better off.

Also, you keep saying “you lost” in various contexts. We all lost, except for the ultra rich 0.0001% who will continue to rule over us, and now without the “red tape” of environmental protection and workers rights."

17.4 million people who voted leave won. I'm certainly not one of the ultra rich 0.0001%, but I consider myself to be a winner, you're a loser.

It's mainly the ultra rich, big bussiness and multi national corporations along with cunts like Tony Blair who want us to remain under EU rule, so they can continue to keep their snouts in the trough of the EU gravy train, at the expense of the poor, so its your logic that seems to be distorted.

Cannock

"No more referendums.

Brexit. Case closed.

Pedant alert, the spelling police are out again. what does he expect tho I’m a dumb northerner iv been out all morning waching me whippet run about down near the pit while eating me peaspudding sarnie lol"

I hope you had your flat cap on while you were doing those things

"No more referendums.

Brexit. Case closed.

Pedant alert, the spelling police are out again. what does he expect tho I’m a dumb northerner iv been out all morning waching me whippet run about down near the pit while eating me peaspudding sarnie lol"

I live further North than you pal...Geography not a strong point either?

"No more referendums.

Brexit. Case closed.

While is suspect it wasn’t because of gdp, inflation and other economics 101 many don’t truely understand, a lot of it was about money. After all a big monetary number was put on a big bus. so you think 17-4 million were fooled by a red bus come on mate yr better than that arnt ya lol "

Strawman. I was saying a lot of the reasons for leaving had money at the bottom of it. This was an example of the leave campaign using money as a motivation.

"No more referendums.

Brexit. Case closed.

Case closed.

Also, you keep saying “you lost” in various contexts. We all lost, except for the ultra rich 0.0001% who will continue to rule over us, and now without the “red tape” of environmental protection and workers rights.

17.4 million people who voted leave won. I'm certainly not one of the ultra rich 0.0001%, but I consider myself to be a winner, you're a loser.

It's mainly the ultra rich, big bussiness and multi national corporations along with cunts like Tony Blair who want us to remain under EU rule, so they can continue to keep their snouts in the trough of the EU gravy train, at the expense of the poor, so its your logic that seems to be distorted. "

Many of these “winners” you speak of are in areas that are going to be the worst impacted by Brexit. I take no joy in the irony of this.

I believe that the vast majority of leavers are people who wanted change and who are/were misguided and who were influenced to vote against the EU which has been presented as a skapegoat for all their problems. And that most leavers, just like everyone else, are good people.

I don’t know you at all, so as always, assume you’re a good person. And I have no hate in my heart for you, and wouldn’t call you a “loser”.

I’ll say it again without calling you “crazy”, (which was meant in jest earlier), Merry Christmas.

thornaby

"No more referendums.

Brexit. Case closed.

Pedant alert, the spelling police are out again. what does he expect tho I’m a dumb northerner iv been out all morning waching me whippet run about down near the pit while eating me peaspudding sarnie lol

I live further North than you pal...Geography not a strong point either?"

maybe if I’d had a look at yr profile bud chill out this isn’t real life ya know come along the A66 I’ll buy ya a pint lol

"No more referendums.

Brexit. Case closed.

Pedant alert, the spelling police are out again. what does he expect tho I’m a dumb northerner iv been out all morning waching me whippet run about down near the pit while eating me peaspudding sarnie lol

I live further North than you pal...Geography not a strong point either? maybe if I’d had a look at yr profile bud chill out this isn’t real life ya know come along the A66 I’ll buy ya a pint lol"

It's says where you're from Next to your name on the post!

Thanks for the offer of a pint driving may be an issue for me at the moment after 3 days on the pop.

thornaby

Well as shit as I am at spelling I’m as bad a taking notice of were ppl are from lol well after 3 days on the piss I can understand why your being a bit of a twat then lucky you my crimbo asnt started yet the twat is a joke by the way lol

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

In theory it is a good idea but would be very expensive and not practical.

Lets face it who would vote for tax rises not many and they are needed at times.

Also as has been proved they can cause great division in society which is not good.

Yes there are times when it does make sense to do this,ie votes on independence as with Scotland and also on the EU which we voted to join now we voted to leave.I do not recall the losers of the first vote when we joined making such a fuss and being so nasty and vindictive which tells you a lot about the selfish attitude of remainers and or the nastiness that exists in modern society

"In theory it is a good idea but would be very expensive and not practical.

Lets face it who would vote for tax rises not many and they are needed at times.

Also as has been proved they can cause great division in society which is not good.

Yes there are times when it does make sense to do this,ie votes on independence as with Scotland and also on the EU which we voted to join now we voted to leave.I do not recall the losers of the first vote when we joined making such a fuss and being so nasty and vindictive which tells you a lot about the selfish attitude of remainers and or the nastiness that exists in modern society"

Your high horse is getting a bit lame

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

I've always thought referendum are a poor way to make decisions. I said it before the referendum was called, I said it during the campaign and I'd still be saying it now regardless of which way the result had gone.

"I wonder how the Swiss would have run the brexit referendum... I suspect very differently. "

I bet it would have been far more truthful in it's arguments for both options.

The biggest problem politicians and their fellow libtards have with referendums, is that people will vote for what they believe is right. They will also be able to vote anonymously and all votes will be equal. It also shows in no uncertain terms that the nation is split, as the real working class have a higher moral compass than the liberal elite. That is why it took so long for us to get a referendum on EU membership. The liberals were frightened, even though they believed there would be another referendum if they lost.

Things like gay marriage might get voted down because some people are against having their religious beliefs changed by force. (I’m not saying that I’m against it).

That is why I believe in proportional representation instead of this first past the post. We always get the choice between two parties at election time. If you vote for anyone other than Conservative or Labour, you have wasted your democratic right. There are so many things that the big two actually agree on, things that won’t change whichever one is elected, that choices are limited. We need a system where every vote counts, then there will be no need for referendums...

"The biggest problem politicians and their fellow libtards have with referendums, is that people will vote for what they believe is right. They will also be able to vote anonymously and all votes will be equal. It also shows in no uncertain terms that the nation is split, as the real working class have a higher moral compass than the liberal elite. That is why it took so long for us to get a referendum on EU membership. The liberals were frightened, even though they believed there would be another referendum if they lost.

Things like gay marriage might get voted down because some people are against having their religious beliefs changed by force. (I’m not saying that I’m against it).

That is why I believe in proportional representation instead of this first past the post. We always get the choice between two parties at election time. If you vote for anyone other than Conservative or Labour, you have wasted your democratic right. There are so many things that the big two actually agree on, things that won’t change whichever one is elected, that choices are limited. We need a system where every vote counts, then there will be no need for referendums..."

Now that is the most sensible thing I’ve read on this forum for a long time. I know you and I are not in the same camp but I agree that the elite are playing a game that has very little to do with the ordinary working class voters.

"The biggest problem politicians and their fellow libtards have with referendums, is that people will vote for what they believe is right. They will also be able to vote anonymously and all votes will be equal. It also shows in no uncertain terms that the nation is split, as the real working class have a higher moral compass than the liberal elite. That is why it took so long for us to get a referendum on EU membership. The liberals were frightened, even though they believed there would be another referendum if they lost.

That is why I believe in proportional representation instead of this first past the post. We always get the choice between two parties at election time. If you vote for anyone other than Conservative or Labour, you have wasted your democratic right. There are so many things that the big two actually agree on, things that won’t change whichever one is elected, that choices are limited. We need a system where every vote counts, then there will be no need for referendums..."

Some truth in this. But as we’ve seen the people are too easily swayed and manipulated through fear and lies, they played right into the elite ruling classes agenda and voted for Brexit. They did such a good job that even now people think that voting leave was anti-establishment.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The concept of increasing the poorly thought through changes to law, by having referenda on them is unappealing. The majority of citizens aren't interested enough to be suitably informed on the complexity of issues to the levels that political representatives should be. It also avoids the tyranny of the masses, where the many would prefer the marginalised to remain inferior etc.

The length of time needed for new law is largely consultative and review and not the specific time to vote, which is a matter of minutes in comparison to many weeks or months - so referenda won't alter that but would increase costs.

Bad idea for the proposed reasons

Voting reform and a system of PR would render referendums superfluous. It works in other countries, sure they have hung parliaments with the balance of power continually shifting. But that is real democracy, it’s what we need here and the sooner the better..,

We’d need a change in attitude with PR. Atm it’s all about “winning”. To work with hung parliaments you need collaboration (and not bribes). The con lib government and the fallnout kinda shows why we probably aren’t there yet ...

By *inkyLondonpairCouple  over a year ago

London

"The concept of increasing the poorly thought through changes to law, by having referenda on them is unappealing. The majority of citizens aren't interested enough to be suitably informed on the complexity of issues to the levels that political representatives should be. It also avoids the tyranny of the masses, where the many would prefer the marginalised to remain inferior etc.

The length of time needed for new law is largely consultative and review and not the specific time to vote, which is a matter of minutes in comparison to many weeks or months - so referenda won't alter that but would increase costs.

Bad idea for the proposed reasons "

You can guarantee that if we had a referendum on reducing taxation by ten per cent and increasing NHS spending by ten per cent both would pass.

» Add a new message to this topic