FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Cost of brexit

Cost of brexit

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *tella Heels OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

west here ford shire

I wonder how much this country has now wasted on Brexit. Wonder what it has cost us long term due to the damage to our status in the world, the damage to sterling on the foreign exchanges

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ust PeachyWoman  over a year ago

Prestonish

The cost of the whole process? I doubt we’ll ever know!

I wonder how many threads you’ve started recently?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It's cost many, many €'s

Around £500 million a week so far..According to google..,

We'll never pay it dont worry. Stick it on the tab

£7.39 to be exact

I do wonder sometimes if other countries politicians watch ours at work and laugh at the ridiculous way business is conducted in the commons.

By *tella Heels OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

west here ford shire

Here here

Order order I say

"Here here

Order order I say"

Mr speaker needs to step into the 21century.

"Oi, May! Shut the fuck up and let the other numpty say somethin'"

26p

"Around £500 million a week so far..According to google..,"
google also saysim a guitarist from manchester

By *uciyassMan  over a year ago

sheffield

I’m so bored with this farce now. It’s just going to keep going round I’m circles and to be honest this country is never going to be any better in the long run. Either they just get on with it or just day fuck it and revert back to the way it was. No matter who is in government it won’t make a dam difference Europe hold the cards and will play it how they want.

What was the leavers statement. Make Britain Britain again ! Yea right

By *othrockercplCouple  over a year ago

Halloween Town

Almost as much as the price of a Freddo.

"I wonder how much this country has now wasted on Brexit. Wonder what it has cost us long term due to the damage to our status in the world, the damage to sterling on the foreign exchanges "

Has it damaged our status in the world?

Already over 70 countries have made preliminary agreements to continue trade under current conditions

If the call a general election absoloutly no one should vote to show how pissed off and how there is no confidence in any party whatsoever as it is disgrace at the conduct and behaviour of MP who are paid by the tax payers to run our country and they behave like a bunch of rouwdy teenagers and we would be sacked for the bullying and discourtous way they treat each other and the public ..sorry rant over

"I do wonder sometimes if other countries politicians watch ours at work and laugh at the ridiculous way business is conducted in the commons. "

You've never watched another countries government have you?

Screaming at each other like children is the norm for all of them.

Although Australian parliament can be fantastic.

The mansplaning one and the old guy who declared himself a woman after being told he shouldnt be alowed to debate abortion because hes not a woman were 2 classic Aussie moments

By *ky19Man  over a year ago

Plymouth

I'm sure it's entirely possible to leave the EU and survive, just like leaving home and getting your own place, doesn't mean you can't have any relationship with your parents anymore.

Although like that, I understand there is a short term cost to doing so.

Is a full membership of the EU really always all that anyway? *looks over at Ireland, not to mention Greece, Spain and Portugal*

I don't like the look of the EU building anyway, and what it stands for

"If the call a general election absoloutly no one should vote to show how pissed off and how there is no confidence in any party whatsoever as it is disgrace at the conduct and behaviour of MP who are paid by the tax payers to run our country and they behave like a bunch of rouwdy teenagers and we would be sacked for the bullying and discourtous way they treat each other and the public ..sorry rant over "

Problem is there are those who have blind faith in their chosen party.

I absolutely despise having to vote for the very reason that there is never a good choice of party. You are never voting for the best party, you are just voting for the lesser of two evils. (yes I know there are more tha two parties.)

You have to blame all the thick as shit, ignorant xenophobes sadly, who were so easily conned by these immoral spunk bubbles.

So about 52% of the country really. Lots of whom have little to lose.

"You have to blame all the thick as shit, ignorant xenophobes sadly, who were so easily conned by these immoral spunk bubbles.

So about 52% of the country really. Lots of whom have little to lose."

The major problem with brexit is there was never a single good outcome. Stay in and things continue going to shit under wings of the EU or have things go to shit without the EU influence.

Not everyone who voted leave are racist, not everyone who voted leave are thick as shit. A large number of them are vastly more educated than many many remainers could ever hope to be.

They saw advantages to leaving because there are advantages, just as there are to staying. Same goes for disadvantages.

End the day just like voting for which party, you are doing nothing but voting for which you believe is the lesser of the two evils.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It was estimate a few months ago that just the operational costs were in excess of £500 millions per week, so it's cost us £billions - to achieve nothing.

A colossal waste of public money, considering we were promised there was no magic money tree by the conservatives. And yet this has been a 100% conservative created, managed and wholly contributed to fiasco. May, the PM after the other one who started it disappeared, decided it was better not to get her party to agree to anything, before triggering Article 50. The conservatives have been the party with the most disagreement about brexit, so it's criminally negligent to have started the process, when that party did not have any agreement. They've wasted 2 years of Article 50 time, still failing to reach an agreement, thus meaning that parliament voted without agreeing. Tragic that many would vote for the conservatives today, if there was an election, after demonstration of such incompetence that's cost us - and will continue to cost - £billions.

"You have to blame all the thick as shit, ignorant xenophobes sadly, who were so easily conned by these immoral spunk bubbles.

I object to being called a "thick, shit ignorant xenophobes" how dare you think that those who voted to leave are ignorant and can't possibly think for themselves you should be a politician because you are just as arrogant obnoxious as the the rest of the people who throw ignorant remarks about .. What makes you think your thoughts and votes are any less important as mine ..just because we all don't vote the same does not make us right or wrong ..no one bloody well knows what would happen it is all scaremongering and bullying tactics to get there own way and pissed off that a bunch of "shit ignorant xenophobes should dare to vote on what they believe in:"

This us why the country is in such a mess because no one can accept different opinions and views this is meant to be a democratic society its only Democratic when it suits. I personally voted to leave however if the vote went the other way I would have accepted the views of the majority likewise I live in Scotland where the majority voted to remain but as we live in Britain its the view if the masses ..rant over...

By *icksfocusMan  over a year ago

Pontefract

So about 52% of the country really. Lots of whom have little to lose.

I object to being called a "thick, shit ignorant xenophobes" how dare you think that those who voted to leave are ignorant and can't possibly think for themselves you should be a politician because you are just as arrogant obnoxious as the the rest of the people who throw ignorant remarks about .. What makes you think your thoughts and votes are any less important as mine ..just because we all don't vote the same does not make us right or wrong ..no one bloody well knows what would happen it is all scaremongering and bullying tactics to get there own way and pissed off that a bunch of "shit ignorant xenophobes should dare to vote on what they believe in:"

This us why the country is in such a mess because no one can accept different opinions and views this is meant to be a democratic society its only Democratic when it suits. I personally voted to leave however if the vote went the other way I would have accepted the views of the majority likewise I live in Scotland where the majority voted to remain but as we live in Britain its the view if the masses ..rant over... "

Here here

Couldn’t have put it better myself

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Wrong to say that and it only shows a complete ignorance of some of the reasons why people when the opportunity came to give someone a kicking did so..

Yes racists voted for brexit but so did people with ginger hair, people with blue eyes etc but and as someone who voted remain to say what you have said is naive..

By *anes HubbyCouple  over a year ago

Babbacombe Torquay

My elderly father voted Leave based solely, by his own admittance, on immigration.

His problem is he doesn't know the difference between a Polish Catholic and an Iraqi Muslim.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

That remark says more about you than anyone else!

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

"My elderly father voted Leave based solely, by his own admittance, on immigration.

His problem is he doesn't know the difference between a Polish Catholic and an Iraqi Muslim. "

are you sure it wasn’t on the amount of immigration flooding in rather than who was coming in tho

Plymouth

Just to say if we had voted remain, I believe things wouldn't have stayed the same. It would have given a mandate to give even more of ourselves to, and create stronger ties with the EU. i.e. we would have got properly in.

So imo there would have been changes anyway. And I say ok but caution is advised. After all, Ireland were sold on a similar promise of amazing prosperity.

Ireland don't seem to have done all that well out of it, and now - their country and contents are effectively under EU ownership to boot - so they don't even have control anymore.

Again I just mention Greece, Spain, Portugal etc as a cautionary tale that full EU control and membership ain't necessarily all it's cracked up to be.

(The idea that a country can't possibly survive on it's own and would be like an apocalypse is a bit over the top imo)

By *anes HubbyCouple  over a year ago

Babbacombe Torquay

"My elderly father voted Leave based solely, by his own admittance, on immigration.

His problem is he doesn't know the difference between a Polish Catholic and an Iraqi Muslim. are you sure it wasn’t on the amount of immigration flooding in rather than who was coming in tho "

No.....he's just racist

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Statements like that are condescending, insulting and unnecessary.

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"I do wonder sometimes if other countries politicians watch ours at work and laugh at the ridiculous way business is conducted in the commons.

The mansplaning one and the old guy who declared himself a woman after being told he shouldnt be alowed to debate abortion because hes not a woman were 2 classic Aussie moments"

There have also been some quite spectacular mass punch ups in other Parliament's around the rest of the world. I don't recall any punch ups in the House of Commons but there have been one or two in the Parliamentary bar.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"Just to say if we had voted remain, I believe things wouldn't have stayed the same. It would have given a mandate to give even more of ourselves to, and create stronger ties with the EU. i.e. we would have got properly in.

So imo there would have been changes anyway. And I say ok but caution is advised. After all, Ireland were sold on a similar promise of amazing prosperity.

Ireland don't seem to have done all that well out of it, and now - their country and contents are effectively under EU ownership to boot - so they don't even have control anymore.

Again I just mention Greece, Spain, Portugal etc as a cautionary tale that full EU control and membership ain't necessarily all it's cracked up to be.

(The idea that a country can't possibly survive on it's own and would be like an apocalypse is a bit over the top imo)"

And I bet you actually believe everything you have just written don’t you?

It really is no surprise that we are where are when there are people who seem to exist in an inverted parallel universe.

Plymouth

No need to be nasty.

Would you like to point out where I'm going wrong so I can improve my understanding, or are you just going to attack? (which one looks more like mental illness?)

So, that's why the country is in a mess. I thought there were other reasons for that.

I assume the result doesn't personally suit you, so everyone who voted for it is "stupid" (I didn't by the way) and you want another vote? (and another and another until we get the right result). No room for trivial things like integrity?

Thank you very much.

Here’s another way of looking at it.

0.6% of our tax goes to the EU budget.

Let’s say the average person has income tax of 20% (but toppy given personal allowance).

If we ignore any tax changes to pay for nhs and farmers etc, and it was all given back, that would be a salary increase of 0.16%.

It wouldnt take much in the way of increase to food prices to swallow that up.

And that all assumes no tax rises to cover the cost of leaving, the cost of covering EU subsidies, the cost of any fall in gdp.

It also assumes nonperosnal allowance. For someone on 24k, the actual pay rise would be 0.08%

(To be fair, we pay taxes in other ways. So the true cost of the Eu is more than just income tax. But even if you got all this back through a pay rise it would still be less than 0.2%)

(Caveat. Early morning maths. Please correct me if I’ve done something stupid).

"Here’s another way of looking at it.

Let’s say the average person has income tax of 20% (but toppy given personal allowance).

If we ignore any tax changes to pay for nhs and farmers etc, and it was all given back, that would be a salary increase of 0.16%.

And that all assumes no tax rises to cover the cost of leaving, the cost of covering EU subsidies, the cost of any fall in gdp.

It also assumes nonperosnal allowance. For someone on 24k, the actual pay rise would be 0.08%

(To be fair, we pay taxes in other ways. So the true cost of the Eu is more than just income tax. But even if you got all this back through a pay rise it would still be less than 0.2%)

(Caveat. Early morning maths. Please correct me if I’ve done something stupid). "

The other way to look at it is 34 billion in increased government revenue if we default to WTO rules and trade remained at its current level which is 4.3% of the total uk tax revenue (income, business and Ni) or £1,120 per tax payer person 4.6% for your 24k example plus your 0.08%

The other way to look at it is 34 billion in increased government revenue if we default to WTO rules and trade remained at its current level which is 4.3% of the total uk tax revenue (income, business and Ni) or £1,120 per tax payer person 4.6% for your 24k example plus your 0.08%"

That’s a big if. I’m not sure I’ve heard anyone say trade will remain at its current levels under WTO. You’d also have to assume that prices remain unchanged as otherwise we, the consumer, pay the tarrif. But it is something to factor in.

The other way to look at it is 34 billion in increased government revenue if we default to WTO rules and trade remained at its current level which is 4.3% of the total uk tax revenue (income, business and Ni) or £1,120 per tax payer person 4.6% for your 24k example plus your 0.08%

That’s a big if. I’m not sure I’ve heard anyone say trade will remain at its current levels under WTO. You’d also have to assume that prices remain unchanged as otherwise we, the consumer, pay the tarrif. But it is something to factor in. "

I suspect we'd find that just like the 70 countries we already have deals with through the eu a "carry on under the old terms" would rapidly be implimented if a no deal happened and tariffs would never really come in.

My main concern is a deal with the usa being rushed through for a quick win and a bad deal being accepted there

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

the victory of The Government in the confidence vote was won thanks to the British tax payer (ma&you) funded payment from the Tory party to the DUP

That’s a big if. I’m not sure I’ve heard anyone say trade will remain at its current levels under WTO. You’d also have to assume that prices remain unchanged as otherwise we, the consumer, pay the tarrif. But it is something to factor in.

I suspect we'd find that just like the 70 countries we already have deals with through the eu a "carry on under the old terms" would rapidly be implimented if a no deal happened and tariffs would never really come in.

My main concern is a deal with the usa being rushed through for a quick win and a bad deal being accepted there "

I’m lost where the additional revenues come in if we could revert to pre WTO terms (whixh also assumes no change in frictional costs)

I agree with US. If we think the EU are bullies and have ya a bad deal, I can’t imagine what Trump could give us. Especially as it would be clear we needed them more than they needed us ....

But that’s a side thread ...

Everyone should watch pascal lamy the ex head of the WTO.For an injection of reality of where we are and what a no deal looks like under WTO.

He's advised us to stop the clock on article 50 now or drop from the premier league to the third division if we choose no deal...

"the victory of The Government in the confidence vote was won thanks to the British tax payer (ma&you) funded payment from the Tory party to the DUP "

You get that no money actually goes to the DUP right? They just agreed to spend more of the budget in northern Ireland on the tax payers there.

Its not even unheard of in the past the SNP have a simmilar deal and labour have made a similar deal with libdems in the past

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

no wonder you are no longer on site with remarks like that dumb dumb

The other way to look at it is 34 billion in increased government revenue if we default to WTO rules and trade remained at its current level which is 4.3% of the total uk tax revenue (income, business and Ni) or £1,120 per tax payer person 4.6% for your 24k example plus your 0.08%"

Every time this is trotted out that we save from the EU fee the point that trade becomes a lot more expensive / restricted which will reduce GDP is conveniently ignored.

This misnomer is the Brexit dividend. There will be no Brexit dividend, only increased costs equating to lower GDP / profit.

"Everyone should watch pascal lamy the ex head of the WTO.For an injection of reality of where we are and what a no deal looks like under WTO.

He's advised us to stop the clock on article 50 now or drop from the premier league to the third division if we choose no deal..."

What would he know I can hear the Brexit bunch scream

North West

"No need to be nasty.

Would you like to point out where I'm going wrong so I can improve my understanding, or are you just going to attack? (which one looks more like mental illness?)

So, that's why the country is in a mess. I thought there were other reasons for that.

I assume the result doesn't personally suit you, so everyone who voted for it is "stupid" (I didn't by the way) and you want another vote? (and another and another until we get the right result). No room for trivial things like integrity?

Thank you very much. "

Why dont you actually research the things that you have written? It is not hard. Almost everything you said in that post had no connection with reality.

EXAMPLES - David Cameron had previously negotiated that the UK would never be part of the ever closer union and we have a permanent opt-out from Schengen and the Euro. Your statement that a vote to stay in would have resulted in us moving closer is just factually wrong.

Other comments about Ireland being a slave to the EU is also totally wrong. Ireland is now no longer the UK's whipping boy as it has been for centuries because it is a strong member of a strong Union.

Spain is the most pro-European country on Continental Europe.

There is no future for stand-alone, go-it-alone countries in a globalized world that is dominated by super-economies. That is not an opinion of mine - it is simply the way of the modern world.

Thinking what you think is true, because you want it to be true is no way to make decisions on the future. Unfortunately there are far too many people who live in denial of facts and make claims and assumptions that are nothing more than fantasy.

Bristol East

One small example from Parliament yesterday that is the insanity of Brexit.

UK, for reasons best known to itself, is also leaving the Treaty that governs the security of nuclear material in Europe and ensures none is diverted unlawfully for nuclear weapons.

A year ago, Ministers said it would cost us £10 million to replicate the functions of Euratom by 2021.

Yesterday, they said they had not fully understood what Euratom does and they had now spent £25 million.

Anyone who believes Britain will be better off going it alone instead of sharing costs really does need their head examined.

By *rotic-TouchTV/TS  over a year ago

doncaster

"The cost of the whole process? I doubt we’ll ever know!

I wonder how many threads you’ve started recently? "

loads can't help it herself lol

"One small example from Parliament yesterday that is the insanity of Brexit.

UK, for reasons best known to itself, is also leaving the Treaty that governs the security of nuclear material in Europe and ensures none is diverted unlawfully for nuclear weapons.

A year ago, Ministers said it would cost us £10 million to replicate the functions of Euratom by 2021.

Yesterday, they said they had not fully understood what Euratom does and they had now spent £25 million.

Anyone who believes Britain will be better off going it alone instead of sharing costs really does need their head examined."

Just wait till WTO bites if we have no deal, the expense so far that Brexit has instilled on our Country will pale in insignificance

"One small example from Parliament yesterday that is the insanity of Brexit.

Anyone who believes Britain will be better off going it alone instead of sharing costs really does need their head examined.

Just wait till WTO bites if we have no deal, the expense so far that Brexit has instilled on our Country will pale in insignificance "

Not brexit, but how and why tory antics brought brexit about

By *verysmileMan  over a year ago

CANTERBURY

Probably the largest cost is the credibility of our Parliament who have failed to engage with each other to bring about a satisfactory conclusion.

The problem is that each MP has a party policical blueprint that they can follow or reject.

Once the agenda is dictated by the people, they are not flexible enough to react.

I propose that we bring back direct rule by the Royal family. Tell me that they wouldn't do any worse?

Bristol East

"

I propose that we bring back direct rule by the Royal family. Tell me that they wouldn't do any worse?"

Yeah, let's abandon democracy and have a dictatorship. FFS!

By *verysmileMan  over a year ago

CANTERBURY

"

I propose that we bring back direct rule by the Royal family. Tell me that they wouldn't do any worse?

Yeah, let's abandon democracy and have a dictatorship. FFS!

"

Satire is lost on you ....

Bristol East

Well, that's a few more million on the bill.

The message has gone out from Whitehall after Monday's vote to activate the no-deal contingency plans, i.e. government departments will now start stockpiling essential commodities.

"Well, that's a few more million on the bill.

The message has gone out from Whitehall after Monday's vote to activate the no-deal contingency plans, i.e. government departments will now start stockpiling essential commodities.

"

House of Commons bar is having to rent warehouse space to facilitate stockpiling of spirits in the event of a no deal Brexit.

doncaster

What's ur next thread gonna be?

By *endrix30Man  over a year ago

dudley

"I do wonder sometimes if other countries politicians watch ours at work and laugh at the ridiculous way business is conducted in the commons.

The mansplaning one and the old guy who declared himself a woman after being told he shouldnt be alowed to debate abortion because hes not a woman were 2 classic Aussie moments

There have also been some quite spectacular mass punch ups in other Parliament's around the rest of the world. I don't recall any punch ups in the House of Commons but there have been one or two in the Parliamentary bar. "

I have seen a number of punch ups in parliaments around the world, they would be hilarious if it wasn't for the fact that they are the idiots who are making decisions that have an impact on people's lives. They don't set much of an example do they,imagine the same thing happening in the commons, television viewing figures would soar.

It will be nothing compared to the cost to the UK after we leave

"It will be nothing compared to the cost to the UK after we leave "

The next generation must carry the financial burden their parents loaded them up with.It won't be forgiven.

"It will be nothing compared to the cost to the UK after we leave

The next generation must carry the financial burden their parents loaded them up with.It won't be forgiven."

selfish buggers deserve it...

The next generation must carry the financial burden their parents loaded them up with.It won't be forgiven.selfish buggers deserve it... "

It'll teach them an important lesson in hardship.Brexit will make them proper salt of the earth Brits and know the value of every penny in their pockets.

Onwards to 1950 and the good old days..

The next generation must carry the financial burden their parents loaded them up with.It won't be forgiven.selfish buggers deserve it...

It'll teach them an important lesson in hardship.Brexit will make them proper salt of the earth Brits and know the value of every penny in their pockets.

Onwards to 1950 and the good old days.. "

im looking forward to three day weeks tbh.

doncaster

Some medications are becoming hard to get hold of already and it's down to brexit it's being reported

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

The next generation must carry the financial burden their parents loaded them up with.It won't be forgiven.selfish buggers deserve it...

Onwards to 1950 and the good old days.. im looking forward to three day weeks tbh. "

sod that dont want to work that much.

doncaster

Onwards to 1950 and the good old days.. im looking forward to three day weeks tbh. sod that dont want to work that much. "

no wonder country in a mess lol

Plymouth

"

Why dont you actually research the things that you have written? It is not hard. Almost everything you said in that post had no connection with reality.

EXAMPLES - David Cameron had previously negotiated that the UK would never be part of the ever closer union and we have a permanent opt-out from Schengen and the Euro. Your statement that a vote to stay in would have resulted in us moving closer is just factually wrong.

Other comments about Ireland being a slave to the EU is also totally wrong. Ireland is now no longer the UK's whipping boy as it has been for centuries because it is a strong member of a strong Union.

There is no future for stand-alone, go-it-alone countries in a globalized world that is dominated by super-economies. That is not an opinion of mine - it is simply the way of the modern world.

Thinking what you think is true, because you want it to be true is no way to make decisions on the future. Unfortunately there are far too many people who live in denial of facts and make claims and assumptions that are nothing more than fantasy."

I don't deny anything. I'm open minded and have shown enough times I will change my mind in the light of new evidence, no matter how long I've held a previous view.

How about you?

In your last paragraph, you accuse of believing what I want to be true. That's quite an assumption - and nothing more than fantasy. My beliefs would be quite different if I wanted to live in a bubble.

Hmmm yes it could be true that going it alone is more difficult than it used to be. Not necessarily an accident. But who says completely alone. I think some leavers just want to have a little more control back.

I meant that I believe a remain vote would be treated as permission to have things less on our terms and more on Europe's than they already are.

In hindsight you seem to be fairly balanced. If you were like others, you'd be trying to call me completely insane (for disagreeing). You haven't played the race card either.

I fully admit the economics (of brexit and in general are FAR from my strongest suit). I'm much more qualified to comment on other issues.

I do see the bullshit behind the anti-brexit media campaigns as our leaders stall for time, and the effect it's had on people, creating hysteria, bad blood and hatred between each other (instead of directing it towards those who are really screwing us)

One thing I do have more understanding of is where this is all heading: First Europe, then the World ("Of course!") Nice to hear Murdoch stormed off in a rage when the referendum result was announced. This is the man who bragged that he's "never lost an election". Perhaps his comment from the NOTW scandal could fit; "Can I just say your 'onour, this is the most 'umbling day of my life!"

"

Thinking what you think is true, because you want it to be true is no way to make decisions on the future. Unfortunately there are far too many people who live in denial of facts and make claims and assumptions that are nothing more than fantasy.

I don't deny anything. I'm open minded and have shown enough times I will change my mind in the light of new evidence, no matter how long I've held a previous view.

How about you?

In your last paragraph, you accuse of believing what I want to be true. That's quite an assumption - and nothing more than fantasy. My beliefs would be quite different if I wanted to live in a bubble.

Hmmm yes it could be true that going it alone is more difficult than it used to be. Not necessarily an accident. But who says completely alone. I think some leavers just want to have a little more control back.

I meant that I believe a remain vote would be treated as permission to have things less on our terms and more on Europe's than they already are.

In hindsight you seem to be fairly balanced. If you were like others, you'd be trying to call me completely insane (for disagreeing). You haven't played the race card either.

I fully admit the economics (of brexit and in general are FAR from my strongest suit). I'm much more qualified to comment on other issues.

I do see the bullshit behind the anti-brexit media campaigns as our leaders stall for time, and the effect it's had on people, creating hysteria, bad blood and hatred between each other (instead of directing it towards those who are really screwing us)

One thing I do have more understanding of is where this is all heading: First Europe, then the World ("Of course!") Nice to hear Murdoch stormed off in a rage when the referendum result was announced. This is the man who bragged that he's "never lost an election". Perhaps his comment from the NOTW scandal could fit; "Can I just say your 'onour, this is the most 'umbling day of my life!" "

I'm not sure your last Paragraph is correct! Murdoch was a brexit supporter his papers supported it.

Here is a quote from an old interview with Murdoch by Anthony Hilton :

"I once asked Rupert Murdoch why he was so opposed to the European Union. 'That’s easy,' he replied. 'When I go into Downing Street they do what I say; when I go to Brussels they take no notice."

He was rumoured to have stormed of after an exit poll indicated that Labour had done better in the 2017 election.

As for a Remain vote being a licence for Europe do dictate terms they've already indicated we could revoke article 50 and KEEP our current terms.

By *verready32Man  over a year ago

omagh

As someone who is living in Northern Ireland, you guys are lucky the politicians who should be sitting in Stormont cannot agree and therefore haven't worked? for TWO YEARS AND STILL GETTING PAID.

As for brexit may has never played a very good hand....she went in with the begging bowl and come out very weak...the so called deal is a very weak brexit and could never be passed.

As for brexit itself not sure if it was the right thing for the country, it will be difficult for a few years and after that it will settle down and things should be ok

Bristol East

Operation Yellowhammer now in full swing.

The code-name for the Government No Deal contingency planning.

Sky reports the MoD is the latest to start stockpiling at bases here and in Gibraltar and Cyprus.

Do they know something we don’t?

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

"Operation Yellowhammer now in full swing.

The code-name for the Government No Deal contingency planning.

Sky reports the MoD is the latest to start stockpiling at bases here and in Gibraltar and Cyprus.

Do they know something we don’t?

"

. P&O ferries may be able to help with deliveries to/from Cyprus , as their vessels being registered there ,,,, maybe Seaborne Ferries could do the same ,,,, when they get round to getting some

North West

Today.....

“Bank of England’s Jan Vlieghe: “since June 2016 we have lost 2% of GDP relative to a scenario where there had been no significant domestic economic events. That amounts to around £40bn per year, or in bus terms that is £800m per week of lost income”

"Today.....

“Bank of England’s Jan Vlieghe: “since June 2016 we have lost 2% of GDP relative to a scenario where there had been no significant domestic economic events. That amounts to around £40bn per year, or in bus terms that is £800m per week of lost income”"

I hope we see that figure on the side of a big red bus in the lead up to the inevitable second referendum...

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Was the best use of our money the preparation and contract with the ferry company without boats or any financial backer? Or ports ready where they would be sailing between? Is the government going to repay the preparations done at the ports, to support ships coming in?

Cannock

"Was the best use of our money the preparation and contract with the ferry company without boats or any financial backer? Or ports ready where they would be sailing between? Is the government going to repay the preparations done at the ports, to support ships coming in? "

Firstly the ship Contractor didn't get any government money because their Irish backers pulled out of the deal. As for preparations made at other ports then that's money well spent for our future outside of the EU. It's about time other ports had investment and the load spread more evenly around the rest of the country rather than relying so heavily on Dover.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Was the best use of our money the preparation and contract with the ferry company without boats or any financial backer? Or ports ready where they would be sailing between? Is the government going to repay the preparations done at the ports, to support ships coming in?

Firstly the ship Contractor didn't get any government money because their Irish backers pulled out of the deal. As for preparations made at other ports then that's money well spent for our future outside of the EU. It's about time other ports had investment and the load spread more evenly around the rest of the country rather than relying so heavily on Dover. "

Erm.... yes it did

Even the government concedes both on Tuesday and yesterday the whole consulting exercise cost them about 800,000 pounds... and it has cost Thanet council around 2 million pound to try and get ramsgate ready for something that is now not happening, of which they are talking about being reimbursed

Bristol East

As a metaphor for Britain's collective lunacy, the ship fiasco seems quite apt.

"Today.....

“Bank of England’s Jan Vlieghe: “since June 2016 we have lost 2% of GDP relative to a scenario where there had been no significant domestic economic events. That amounts to around £40bn per year, or in bus terms that is £800m per week of lost income”"

That's what people voted leave for so they can now sit back, relax, point their finger to this fact and proudly say "I did that"

Bristol East

That would be true, if only they took responsibility. They don’t. All they do is spout some rhetoric and find others to blame when reality gets in the way.

Cannock

"Today.....

“Bank of England’s Jan Vlieghe: “since June 2016 we have lost 2% of GDP relative to a scenario where there had been no significant domestic economic events. That amounts to around £40bn per year, or in bus terms that is £800m per week of lost income”

That's what people voted leave for so they can now sit back, relax, point their finger to this fact and proudly say "I did that" "

That would be the bank of England who have only got 2 out of their last 12 economic forecasts correct. So excuse me if I take most of what they say with a huge pinch of salt.

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

Greece could do the sums for us ...they borrow billions and pay back f all ...

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Greece could do the sums for us ...they borrow billions and pay back f all ..."

Actually Greece paid everything back and on time.....

But hey, why use actual facts........

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

My main concern is a deal with the usa being rushed through for a quick win and a bad deal being accepted there "

This just is not true. We haven't got a continuity agreement with those countries.

We do not have the same leverage on our own. We may get a role over whilst we are in transition with the same terms as now.

Why would they give us the same terms once we've left?

canterbury

[Removed by poster at 14/02/19 17:09:57]

canterbury

When was that ....many countries took a massive hit through haircuts etc ...esp the great eu dictatorship..still they could not see a good deal if it bites them on the arse

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

"the victory of The Government in the confidence vote was won thanks to the British tax payer (ma&you) funded payment from the Tory party to the DUP

You get that no money actually goes to the DUP right? They just agreed to spend more of the budget in northern Ireland on the tax payers there.

Its not even unheard of in the past the SNP have a simmilar deal and labour have made a similar deal with libdems in the past

"

The budget has increased by £1bn to pay for extra spending in NI. The country is borrowing more.

Labour have never had a coalition or confidence and supply agreement with the LibDems or the SNP. They did not pay for votes.

May you s doing the same thing now offering to conjure up money for their constituencies to back her Brexit deal. If that money can be found to pay for a vote, it could have been found anyway to improve people's lives without conditions.

"Today.....

That's what people voted leave for so they can now sit back, relax, point their finger to this fact and proudly say "I did that"

That would be the bank of England who have only got 2 out of their last 12 economic forecasts correct. So excuse me if I take most of what they say with a huge pinch of salt. "

No excuse needed, it's what you voted for

"Today.....

That would be the bank of England who have only got 2 out of their last 12 economic forecasts correct. So excuse me if I take most of what they say with a huge pinch of salt. "

Do you have an extra info here. Be interesting to see how far out they are and if there is any bias towards over or under estimating.

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

"Greece could do the sums for us ...they borrow billions and pay back f all ..."

You do know that you're making that up dont you? The reason theyre so deeply in it is that they have been forced to make huge cuts to pay their debts (and will continue to do so from now til kingdom come)

"Greece could do the sums for us ...they borrow billions and pay back f all ...

You do know that you're making that up dont you? The reason theyre so deeply in it is that they have been forced to make huge cuts to pay their debts (and will continue to do so from now til kingdom come)"

Unfortunately the Greek people have ended up paying the price of their Governments ineptitude of economics, nothing more, nothing less.

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

So the Government is standing down 6,000 Civil Servants as part of the direct cost of £1.5bn that has been wasted in preparation. However, this pales into insignificance compared to the cost to our economy since the Referendum vote:

How much has Brexit cost the economy?

According to a new report by S&P Global Ratings, Brexit has cost the British economy £66bn in just under three years - equivalent to around £1,000 per person in the country.

Should this be put on the side of a bus?

The financial services company calculated that since the referendum, the UK has missed out on £550m of economic growth per week.

A sharp drop in the value of the pound has caused much of the damage by reducing people’s purchasing power, analysts say. Weaker sterling has meant imports are more expensive, with rising prices passed on to consumers.

“Household spending would have been considerably stronger - in line with GDP - had the referendum not occurred,” says S&P report, titled Countdown To Brexit: What Might Have Been For The UK Economy.

Brexit was and is the most stupid idea anyone could ever think of. Billions wasted and we haven't even left yet.

A new dark age emerges.

"So the Government is standing down 6,000 Civil Servants as part of the direct cost of £1.5bn that has been wasted in preparation. However, this pales into insignificance compared to the cost to our economy since the Referendum vote:

According to a new report by S&P Global Ratings, Brexit has cost the British economy £66bn in just under three years - equivalent to around £1,000 per person in the country.

The financial services company calculated that since the referendum, the UK has missed out on £550m of economic growth per week.

A sharp drop in the value of the pound has caused much of the damage by reducing people’s purchasing power, analysts say. Weaker sterling has meant imports are more expensive, with rising prices passed on to consumers.

“Household spending would have been considerably stronger - in line with GDP - had the referendum not occurred,” says S&P report, titled Countdown To Brexit: What Might Have Been For The UK Economy. "

Yes, Brexit is best, just not exactly sure who for though

Chudleigh

"So the Government is standing down 6,000 Civil Servants as part of the direct cost of £1.5bn that has been wasted in preparation. However, this pales into insignificance compared to the cost to our economy since the Referendum vote:

“Household spending would have been considerably stronger - in line with GDP - had the referendum not occurred,” says S&P report, titled Countdown To Brexit: What Might Have Been For The UK Economy.

Yes, Brexit is best, just not exactly sure who for though "

Best for all the other economies that have benefitted from our self indulgence

Best for all the other economies that have benefitted from our self indulgence "

Which ones would they be? The eurozone is doing quite poorly

Chudleigh

Which ones would they be? The eurozone is doing quite poorly"

How generous of us to pay our membership and then subsidise them by screwing our economy up!

How generous of us to pay our membership and then subsidise them by screwing our economy up! "

Again how is that statement vaugley true?

Us screwing our economy (as in actuslly screwing it up) would be catastrophically bad for the eurozone

[Removed by poster at 12/04/19 20:49:07]

"I wonder how much this country has now wasted on Brexit. Wonder what it has cost us long term due to the damage to our status in the world, the damage to sterling on the foreign exchanges "

Stirling is still strong. As long s we are not in the euro, the outlook is positive

Chudleigh

How generous of us to pay our membership and then subsidise them by screwing our economy up!

Again how is that statement vaugley true?

Us screwing our economy (as in actuslly screwing it up) would be catastrophically bad for the eurozone"

Well our economy is £66bn down and as a result of our idiocy, someone elses is £66bn better off - may not all be in the Eurozone, but we are net losers

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

"I wonder how much this country has now wasted on Brexit. Wonder what it has cost us long term due to the damage to our status in the world, the damage to sterling on the foreign exchanges

Stirling is still strong. As long s we are not in the euro, the outlook is positive"

Sterling is not still strong at all. It's around 1.15Euro to the pound. The day before the referendum it was 1.29. That's an 11% drop

"I wonder how much this country has now wasted on Brexit. Wonder what it has cost us long term due to the damage to our status in the world, the damage to sterling on the foreign exchanges

Stirling is still strong. As long s we are not in the euro, the outlook is positive

Sterling is not still strong at all. It's around 1.15Euro to the pound. The day before the referendum it was 1.29. That's an 11% drop"

That's the commercial rate not the tourist rate. If you compare the 2015 rate it peaked 1.42!

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

Well its going to cost about 39 billion bill.

300 million a week for the original time allocated. These are basically interest payments on the 39 billion.

1 billion a month delay fees. These are only applied to the delayed time.

Chudleigh

"Well its going to cost about 39 billion bill.

300 million a week for the original time allocated. These are basically interest payments on the 39 billion.

1 billion a month delay fees. These are only applied to the delayed time."

& your point is?

» Add a new message to this topic