FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Brexit good for Business?

Brexit good for Business?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *wisted999 OP   Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Can anybody explain without the histrionics how Brexit is going to be good for industry, banking and job creation?

At the moment I see lots of scare stories. Let’s have some positive spin on things if we can?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

There is simply NO POINT to Brexit other than to satisfy a misplaced sense of British exceptionalism that far too many people seem to carry around.

It will be bad for many businesses, bad for people and bad for the Government.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

People ignored the business and economic warnings in 2016 and I’ve seen nothing to convince me anything has changed.

The leave vote was multi-faceted, of course, but an element saw business bosses as part of the problem.

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

As a small bizz who only employs 13 ....we buzzing at the mo ....no gloom from us only positive....

North Bucks

"As a small bizz who only employs 13 ....we buzzing at the mo ....no gloom from us only positive...."

Cool.

In what way ?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Can anybody explain without the histrionics how Brexit is going to be good for industry, banking and job creation?

At the moment I see lots of scare stories. Let’s have some positive spin on things if we can? "

There is a wealth of information on this on line. Take a look and see for yourself. See if you agree, or if you think it’s all a load of rubbish.

Spoiler. There are very little in the way of positives.

By *ross-eyed MaryMan  over a year ago

Salisbury

There won't be a brexit! Stop worrying about it! It'll be killed by bureaucracy. Nothing more nothing less.

North Bucks

"There won't be a brexit! Stop worrying about it! It'll be killed by bureaucracy. Nothing more nothing less. "

Who is worried. I’m inviting comment as to how it would benefit in the aforementioned areas.

"There won't be a brexit! Stop worrying about it! It'll be killed by bureaucracy. Nothing more nothing less.

Who is worried. I’m inviting comment as to how it would benefit in the aforementioned areas. "

It’s a bold endeavour, the reality isn’t positive. But there are plenty of people here who believe in Brexit regardless of the facts and will no doubt be on soon to give you some very wishy washy anecdotal examples of something that maybe could be a positive if you look at it in isolation instead of the big picture.

It’s really not about opinions, it’s about what’s actually happening.

It’ll be great once the EU have changed their rules for us and once the WTO have changed their rules for us.

Getting them both to do this will be easiest negotiation for ever and ever.

So there.

North Bucks

Not many positives for business so far.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I can see it being good in the short-term for preparations and post exit, as things settle down.There could be an increase in more temporary type jobs.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

In the long run oit is good as we can do our own deals with the rest of the world and trade with Europe,it has been said a million times do you live with your head in the sand

"In the long run oit is good as we can do our own deals with the rest of the world and trade with Europe,it has been said a million times do you live with your head in the sand"

As opposed to having your head in the clouds.

North Bucks

"In the long run oit is good as we can do our own deals with the rest of the world and trade with Europe,it has been said a million times do you live with your head in the sand"

There are 13 Comments on this thread as I write this can’t see it written a million times.

You’re comment is therefore fake news.

Have a nice day.

Exhibit A, your honour.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

Has it escaped your attention that “we” are so spectacularly shit at negotiating our way out of a friendly union that “doing” hostile deals with the adversarial opponents in the rest of the world might just prove a tad testing.

In truth, past performance is never an indicator of future performance but the track record so far does not instil the greatest confidence in the ability of Liam Fox and his team to deliver very much to cheer about.

Which other normally sensible country has ever ripped up the best deal that was available and which already had secondary deal with the rest of the world? And for what? To replace the best single deal with hundreds of inferior little deals?

And the actual point of Brexshit is????

By *ovelifelovefuntimesMan  over a year ago

Where ever I lay my hat

As an investor in a number of businesses not seeing any negative s at present, hard to plan but we are still investing.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

Do how come Germany manages a $20bn trade surplus with China whilst we have a $34bn deficit?

What's going to change?

West London

"As an investor in a number of businesses not seeing any negative s at present, hard to plan but we are still investing."

What does that mean?

If you are an investor and that's your job then would you stop investing?

Would you invest in high street retail? Is that not looking a little negative maybe? Debenhams? HMV?

West London

"Can anybody explain without the histrionics how Brexit is going to be good for industry, banking and job creation?

At the moment I see lots of scare stories. Let’s have some positive spin on things if we can? "

Reduced employment protection? Lower product standards? Less financial prudential regulation?

All technically good for business if you subscribe to that approach to doing things.

"As an investor in a number of businesses not seeing any negative s at present, hard to plan but we are still investing."

I’m not convinced.

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"In the long run oit is good as we can do our own deals with the rest of the world and trade with Europe,it has been said a million times do you live with your head in the sand

There are 13 Comments on this thread as I write this can’t see it written a million times.

Have a nice day.

"

Try reading some other threads. The topic has been done to death.

Cannock

"As an investor in a number of businesses not seeing any negative s at present, hard to plan but we are still investing.

What does that mean?

Would you invest in high street retail? Is that not looking a little negative maybe? Debenhams? HMV? "

Mike Ashley is looking to invest in HMV isn't he, maybe a takeover of the company.

West London

"As an investor in a number of businesses not seeing any negative s at present, hard to plan but we are still investing.

What does that mean?

Would you invest in high street retail? Is that not looking a little negative maybe? Debenhams? HMV?

Mike Ashley is looking to invest in HMV isn't he, maybe a takeover of the company. "

How is this a benefit to business from Brexit?

More bankrupt companies to buy cheaply out of insolvency?

Cannock

What does that mean?

Mike Ashley is looking to invest in HMV isn't he, maybe a takeover of the company.

More bankrupt companies to buy cheaply out of insolvency?"

You asked who would invest in high street retail. You said it looked negative. You specifically mentioned HMV. I gave you an answer. But as usual when you get an answer you don't like you ask another 20 questions.

Anyhow, it's a benefit to business by keeping more trade on the high street, more choice for the consumer, more competition usually equals better price for the consumer. More people employed in these shops and paying tax equals more money for the Treasury.

High Street companies are not going bankrupt because of Brexit, that's just a lazy remainers excuse. They're struggling because of unfair competition from online shopping and changing consumer habits.

What does that mean?

You asked who would invest in high street retail. You said it looked negative. You specifically mentioned HMV. I gave you an answer. But as usual when you get an answer you don't like you ask another 20 questions.

Anyhow, it's a benefit to business by keeping more trade on the high street, more choice for the consumer, more competition usually equals better price for the consumer. More people employed in these shops and paying tax equals more money for the Treasury.

High Street companies are not going bankrupt because of Brexit, that's just a lazy remainers excuse. They're struggling because of unfair competition from online shopping and changing consumer habits."

I don't see online shopping as unfair, just a different business model that obviously works better which people prefer enough to have a negative effect on the high streets.

West London

What does that mean?

High Street companies are not going bankrupt because of Brexit, that's just a lazy remainers excuse. They're struggling because of unfair competition from online shopping and changing consumer habits."

The OPs question is what is "how Brexit is going to be good for industry, banking and job creation?"

Have you got an answer for that? If you are going to talk about "red tape" male some effort to specify what. If you are going to talk about "trade deals" then how long until we just replicate those we have with 4 of the G7 and you can define exactly what the "great" one we will get with the USA will be

The discussion about investment is a side-bar as the poster indicated that he sees no negative at present.

I have never said that Brexit has caused retail to nose-dive, but let me know how Brexit will help though.

Picking through the carcass of a bankrupt company is not "investment", it's opportunism.

North Bucks

So nobody has answered the question. Plenty of bluster

Why is that?

West London

"In the long run oit is good as we can do our own deals with the rest of the world and trade with Europe,it has been said a million times do you live with your head in the sand

Have a nice day.

Try reading some other threads. The topic has been done to death. "

Actually it has not. The response is much the same as here.

Some vague phrases about "less red tape" and "better" trade deals before changing the subject.

As the OP has pointed out.

Where ever I lay my hat

What does that mean?

Would you invest in high street retail? Is that not looking a little negative maybe? Debenhams? HMV? "

Still actively investing but don't have to if it's not the right thing to do with my money And the money I invest on behalf of others. And no, I wouldn't invest in Debenhams, nothing to do with Brexit and all to do with it being a crap business with too high fixed costs and unable to compete with online.

Hope that answers your question.

West London

What does that mean?

Still actively investing but don't have to if it's not the right thing to do with my money And the money I invest on behalf of others. And no, I wouldn't invest in Debenhams, nothing to do with Brexit and all to do with it being a crap business with too high fixed costs and unable to compete with online.

Hope that answers your question."

The point is that there are downsides, Brexit related or not and there's also a storm coming, so will we be best placed to weather it in the EU or just starting to work out what to do outside everything?

The fund managers that I know always have a hedge.

Bovril and HP sauce? Oh, wait, the second ones made in Holland...

Where ever I lay my hat

What does that mean?

The point is that there are downsides, Brexit related or not and there's also a storm coming, so will we be best placed to weather it in the EU or just starting to work out what to do outside everything?

Bovril and HP sauce? Oh, wait, the second ones made in Holland..."

We are at the end of what has been a very long up cycle for those owning assets so my guess is we will head into a down cycle end of this year. But nothing stands still and opportunities will still exist whatever happens.

West London

What does that mean?

We are at the end of what has been a very long up cycle for those owning assets so my guess is we will head into a down cycle end of this year. But nothing stands still and opportunities will still exist whatever happens. "

Didn't I just wrote that?

It doesn't really answer the question about if Brexit will be good for business.

Obviously there are opportunities to make money as the world burns, but are there any opportunities for normal businesses that make things, supply services, just try and get on?

Where ever I lay my hat

What does that mean?

We are at the end of what has been a very long up cycle for those owning assets so my guess is we will head into a down cycle end of this year. But nothing stands still and opportunities will still exist whatever happens.

Didn't I just wrote that?

It doesn't really answer the question about if Brexit will be good for business.

Obviously there are opportunities to make money as the world burns, but are there any opportunities for normal businesses that make things, supply services, just try and get on?"

Honest answer, I have no idea. But if a business has a good product or service to sell my guess would be that they will do ok.

"

Some vague phrases about "less red tape" and "better" trade deals before changing the subject.

As the OP has pointed out."

General businesses don't really have any avenue of improvement down the path of Brexit.

We currently have either trade agreements with Countries or if not then it's trade on WTO.

All that Brexit will probably deliver is less trade deals and more trade on WTO which will cost business more.

The pool of available workers will also be drastically reduced putting further strain on business.

So increasing costs to business & a reduction of availability of workers is Brexits gift to business

It's better for businesses because they get to move to Europe/elsewhere in the world and get a fresh new office/building not in the UK.

We will be worse off

Cost of most things will increase

» Add a new message to this topic