FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > The first ever motorway services area.

The first ever motorway services area.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

As above, this was clearly Watford Gap.

And the baked beans on sale yesterday morning for breakfast did look as though they'd been there ever since opening day.

However, Watford Gap wasn't the first motorway services area ever in the whole of Europe.

When driving through Bavaria, I do make an effort to ensure that I'm fully watching the scenery as I pass Chiemsee. It's a wonderful view across a wonderful lake with wonderful scenery forming the backdrop.

One day, I did a google about Chiemsee.

The search results were thought provoking.

I'll just give you 2 clues. In Germany, a motorway services is often called a rasthaus and a motorway is often called an autobahn.

Whilst I do admit that the central person to the backstory behind the service area and autobahn adjacent to Chiemsee is at best "controversial", I do feel that it is important for the correct recording of history that the facts should not be distorted.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"As above, this was clearly Watford Gap.

And the baked beans on sale yesterday morning for breakfast did look as though they'd been there ever since opening day.

However, Watford Gap wasn't the first motorway services area ever in the whole of Europe.

When driving through Bavaria, I do make an effort to ensure that I'm fully watching the scenery as I pass Chiemsee. It's a wonderful view across a wonderful lake with wonderful scenery forming the backdrop.

One day, I did a google about Chiemsee.

The search results were thought provoking.

I'll just give you 2 clues. In Germany, a motorway services is often called a rasthaus and a motorway is often called an autobahn.

Whilst I do admit that the central person to the backstory behind the service area and autobahn adjacent to Chiemsee is at best "controversial", I do feel that it is important for the correct recording of history that the facts should not be distorted."

Hitler invented the motorway. Rasthaus is a rest house which could be a restaurant or hotel or both.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

“Wie Komme Ich Am Besten Zum Rathouse” is about the only German phrase I can remember lol.

I passed an O-Grade in German when I was 16, never spoke another word again and can hardly remember a thing. Except that line from the exam paper, for some reason.

Senile dementia lol

10 out of 10 for the couple who are swinging at Agde. I do like you and your European views.

The original "Chiemsee service area" is now a mental health hospital.

Words fail me.

[Removed by poster at 26/01/19 17:05:45]

I do get a bit of a kick from pointing out that in England we call a building full of politicians a Town Hall. Whilst in Germany they call it a Rathaus (Rat House).

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

"I do get a bit of a kick from pointing out that in England we call a building full of politicians a Town Hall. Whilst in Germany they call it a Rathaus (Rat House)."

Except that Rat in German means advice and rat is actually Ratte

Happy to help

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I do get a bit of a kick from pointing out that in England we call a building full of politicians a Town Hall. Whilst in Germany they call it a Rathaus (Rat House)."

The houses of parliament are full of vermin.

It has rats and cockroaches too

» Add a new message to this topic