FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Fujitsu tech

Fujitsu tech

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Here’s the paper.

https://www.fujitsu.com/uk/imagesgig5/Drive%20Through%20Border%20PoC%20Social%20Media%20FINAL.pdf

It seems the PoC is to show they can track vehicles.

"

The first phase of our acceleration strategy consists of a short Proof of Concept (PoC) exercise. This will prove the core functionality of our concept: real-time tracking of goods vehicles. The solution design will be tested and refined throughout this phase ahead of the initial launch.

"

I’ve not been able to find any direct quotes which promise everything will be available in March

If they get there, then brilliant. They’ve done better than every IT dev I’ve seen.

But even if they released fully functional tech now, it still only gives companies six weeks to adapt to

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Well they must, Brexit is happening and nothing will dare stand in it's way

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

Ah, that'll be the new technology Brexiteers have been talking about for the last 2 years, which remainers kept insisting didn't exist.

Got it.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"Here’s the paper.

https://www.fujitsu.com/uk/imagesgig5/Drive%20Through%20Border%20PoC%20Social%20Media%20FINAL.pdf

It seems the PoC is to show they can track vehicles.

The first phase of our acceleration strategy consists of a short Proof of Concept (PoC) exercise. This will prove the core functionality of our concept: real-time tracking of goods vehicles. The solution design will be tested and refined throughout this phase ahead of the initial launch.

I’ve not been able to find any direct quotes which promise everything will be available in March

If they get there, then brilliant. They’ve done better than every IT dev I’ve seen.

But even if they released fully functional tech now, it still only gives companies six weeks to adapt to

"

So if it works the “backstop” will never be needed and so everyone can go ahead vote for May’s deal now.

By *naqMan  over a year ago

Ayrshire

"Ah, that'll be the new technology Brexiteers have been talking about for the last 2 years, which remainers kept insisting didn't exist.

Got it. "

Ffs get a grip man at New Year the old hag couldn't tell anyone what she was talking about. Your telling us this has been developed over the last 2 yrs and has been their secret weapon up until now? We're less than 2 months away and now we get a slight trickle of information.

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

"Ah, that'll be the new technology Brexiteers have been talking about for the last 2 years, which remainers kept insisting didn't exist.

Got it.

Ffs get a grip man at New Year the old hag couldn't tell anyone what she was talking about. Your telling us this has been developed over the last 2 yrs and has been their secret weapon up until now? We're less than 2 months away and now we get a slight trickle of information.

"

Let me think, tech programmes always deliver on time, to budget, doing everything that was asked for - especially Government ones...

Got it. "

I am amazed that YOU didn't know about it - after all it is something you spout about all the time!

Cannock

Got it.

"

It's not just me telling you its been developed over the last 2 years, Fujitsu themselves have said they've been developing this over the last 2 years.

Got it.

I am amazed that YOU didn't know about it - after all it is something you spout about all the time!"

Tbf this came about centaur raising it in other threads. To avoid going of topic I started a new one.

It’s truing to understand what tech I’ll be available and by when. It seems the brexit press are claiming an all singing all dancing fully tested solution in six weeks.

I haven’t found anything which backs this up. Their paper (or this month) seems to be focussing in proof of concepts (which are far from the finished product) and for part of the problem they identified.

Cannock

Got it.

It's not just me telling you its been developed over the last 2 years, Fujitsu themselves have said they've been developing this over the last 2 years. "

Also Fujitsu made this public in October 2018, 6 months ago.

And by ready, even the sun says ...

"Proof of concept ready for a trial by March 29, 100 hauliers to test it"

So not live by then. Not tested by then. A POC to be trialed by then.

Not sure what the plans are for all the other hauliers come March.

And the leaked documents the sun are using for their story. The ones on the Fujitsu site I linked to in the OP.

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

Got it.

"

I've recently completed a contract that was very confidential, helping a client to bring a new product, with a highly technical process, a process that has never been used in the way my client's now using it, to market. For almost 3 years this product, and process, has been kept 'top secret' - even when asked, all parties in its research and development have denied all knowledge....

The product is now in the market, and is selling very well. The process itself has now been patented.

Cannock

Got it.

I am amazed that YOU didn't know about it - after all it is something you spout about all the time!

Tbf this came about centaur raising it in other threads. To avoid going of topic I started a new one.

It’s truing to understand what tech I’ll be available and by when. It seems the brexit press are claiming an all singing all dancing fully tested solution in six weeks.

I haven’t found anything which backs this up. Their paper (or this month) seems to be focussing in proof of concepts (which are far from the finished product) and for part of the problem they identified.

"

It's not going to be used as one single solution to solve all problems. It will be used in conjunction along with what was previously suggested, such as number plate recognition technology (already established and proved effective with the London congestion charge), trusted trader schemes (already established in other parts of the world and proved effective), GPS parcel and vehicle tracking systems (already established and proved effective with companies like the Royal Mail, TNT, Parcel Force, UPS, etc) police and intelligence based monitoring to prevent illegal smuggling, customs and goods quality checks away from the border at warehouses and businesses etc, there are lots of separate solutions which will all be added together and the new Fujitsu tech is just an additional solution to add to the others.

I don’t disagree tech needs to be part of a wider solution. Although the Fujitsu paper did appear like they were planning to solve more than the area the POC was testing. Maybe the government is looking to use those additional areas.

My concerns are a) has that wider solution been planned out in detail to check it works and b) if tech is a part, the tech won’t be in place by March, ready to use by all parties. Not just 100 hauliers.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

If we want a technological solution then we stay in the EU paying 80% or some such of our current fee as we will have no rule making rights until the system works.

Easy enough if it's a real thing. Shouldn't take long either if the technology is that mature.

Odds are we pay billions to Fujitsu and get nothing much in return but we won't have to believe in unicorns. We can see that we are just polishing a turd.

Cannock

"If we want a technological solution then we stay in the EU paying 80% or some such of our current fee as we will have no rule making rights until the system works.

Easy enough if it's a real thing. Shouldn't take long either if the technology is that mature.

Odds are we pay billions to Fujitsu and get nothing much in return but we won't have to believe in unicorns. We can see that we are just polishing a turd."

You sound very bitter that this technology is moving along at a pace. Your convenient excuse to stop brexit being the irish border is evaporating before your eyes. Personally i can't wait for the technology to come into effect, so we can say goodbye to the EU for good.

Cannock

"I don’t disagree tech needs to be part of a wider solution. Although the Fujitsu paper did appear like they were planning to solve more than the area the POC was testing. Maybe the government is looking to use those additional areas.

My concerns are a) has that wider solution been planned out in detail to check it works and b) if tech is a part, the tech won’t be in place by March, ready to use by all parties. Not just 100 hauliers.

"

Well if we have a deal then we have the 2 year transition period to roll everything out and put it all in place. If we don't have a deal and leave on WTO rules the UK and the EU will have to agree to carry on with the border as it is now until it's all put in place. Neither side has said they will erect a hard border in the event of no deal. Michel Barnier said the other week if there is no deal we (he was referring to the EU side) will need to put in systems to ensure no hard border is put in place there. What do you think he meant by that?

"I don’t disagree tech needs to be part of a wider solution. Although the Fujitsu paper did appear like they were planning to solve more than the area the POC was testing. Maybe the government is looking to use those additional areas.

Well if we have a deal then we have the 2 year transition period to roll everything out and put it all in place. If we don't have a deal and leave on WTO rules the UK and the EU will have to agree to carry on with the border as it is now until it's all put in place. Neither side has said they will erect a hard border in the event of no deal. Michel Barnier said the other week if there is no deal we (he was referring to the EU side) will need to put in systems to ensure no hard border is put in place there. What do you think he meant by that? "

If we leave on WTO it isn’t just up to the Uk and EU tonstrike a gentleman’s arrangement. The WTO doesn’t work that way.

I take Barniers comments to mean the border issue doesn’t go away just because of no deal. I’m intrigued what this means in practice. But I get the sense they have no workable ideas at the moment.

But I sispecr whatever the system, it won’t be Fujitsu’s technon day 1. Whixh was the point if this thread to discuss.

Even the sun seem to agree with this statement.

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

It is unlikely to be Fujitsu’s tech in 2 years either. It seems to assume people will use an App to say they are crossing the border and then Custom Duties will be paid - great, could do that now via a web/email service. The challenge is for those people who elect not to mention they are crosding the border - it does not solve that in any way.

If the problem we are trying to solve is to stop illegal cross border activity then this does not solve it.

Well if we have a deal then we have the 2 year transition period to roll everything out and put it all in place. If we don't have a deal and leave on WTO rules the UK and the EU will have to agree to carry on with the border as it is now until it's all put in place. Neither side has said they will erect a hard border in the event of no deal. Michel Barnier said the other week if there is no deal we (he was referring to the EU side) will need to put in systems to ensure no hard border is put in place there. What do you think he meant by that?

If we leave on WTO it isn’t just up to the Uk and EU tonstrike a gentleman’s arrangement. The WTO doesn’t work that way.

I take Barniers comments to mean the border issue doesn’t go away just because of no deal. I’m intrigued what this means in practice. But I get the sense they have no workable ideas at the moment.

But I sispecr whatever the system, it won’t be Fujitsu’s technon day 1. Whixh was the point if this thread to discuss.

Even the sun seem to agree with this statement. "

Well if it's anything like other EU borders it probably means anybody from anywhere can cross it get helped by an NGO and then claim some EU help.. Alas I think this border might be patrolled and enforced slightly more.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

"If we want a technological solution then we stay in the EU paying 80% or some such of our current fee as we will have no rule making rights until the system works.

Odds are we pay billions to Fujitsu and get nothing much in return but we won't have to believe in unicorns. We can see that we are just polishing a turd.

You sound very bitter that this technology is moving along at a pace. Your convenient excuse to stop brexit being the irish border is evaporating before your eyes. Personally i can't wait for the technology to come into effect, so we can say goodbye to the EU for good. "

In your head.

I just offered a pragmatic solution.

#Brexitnowfucktheconcequences

Bump to allow people talk about tech alternatives if they want to.

"Bump to allow people talk about tech alternatives if they want to. "

I'd hazard a guess if you needed to bump" a dead thread then people didn't or had had enough.

But, hey ho, you've ended up with it being "bumped" again.

"Bump to allow people talk about tech alternatives if they want to.

I'd hazard a guess if you needed to bump" a dead thread then people didn't or had had enough.

But, hey ho, you've ended up with it being "bumped" again. "

It’s more because peole were throwing it around in another thread and so taking it off topic.

Ps bump.

» Add a new message to this topic